- 2018 Roman Open Toe Buckle Mens Summer Leather Casual Beach Pumps Sandals Shoes
- Spring Step CARLO-NN - CARLO Size: - Color:
- Lauren Ralph Lauren Women's Bethania Bo Rai Black Leopard Rain Shoe Size 9B
- Women's Naya Ana Booties Heels Black Leather 7.5 M $145
- Lucky Brand Jemya Brown Womens Shoes Size 10 M Boots MSRP $129
- Vintage Justin Cowboy Cowgirl Boots Womens 8.5 B Cinnamon Red Brown 2495 29426
- Woman's Leather Size 8.5 M Seychelles Western/Cowboy Boots
- Paul & Shark Yachting sz 8 Tan Nubuck Leather Driving/Walking Shoes
- TWISTED X MEN'S OILED SADDLE CREPE WEDGE CASUAL SHOE MCA0007
- HOGAN MEN'S SHOES SUEDE TRAINERS SNEAKERS NEW INTERACTIVE BROWN A65
- Spenco Fusion 2 - Men's Orthotic Recovery Sandal Bean - 12
- 2017 fasion women men casual shoes flat for women men
- Reebok Zigwild TR Black Pink Shoes Men’s Size 10 Trail Running Trainers
- Puma Suede Classic Badge - Blue - Mens
- Acme Brown Leather Tall Buckaroo Cowboy Boots Mens Size 9 D Style 4607 USA
- Belleville Men’s Goretex Vibram Desert Combat Work Boots Size 5w EUC
- New TSUBO HALIAN Men Leather Boots Size US 13 /EU47 (MSRP $260)
- Hush Puppies Ankle Boots Sz 8 HM01251-001 Free Shipping
- Mens Skinsnake Zip-on Hip Hop High Top Ankle Boots Board Casual Shoes Fashion
- INDESTRUCTIBLE BULLETPROOF ULTRA X PROTECTION MEN'S WORK LABOR SHOES STEEL lot
- Rockport Mens Luxury Cruise Tassel Slip-On Loafer- Pick SZ/Color.
- Florsheim Men's Burbank Bike Toe Slip On Black Shoes 15129-001
- Adidas ZX 900 Weave womens sneakers trainers M20375 eu 40 us 8 NEW+BOX
- Christian Louboutin Beige No Matter 85 Jazz Calf Very Prive Euro 35.5 / Pumps Size US 5.5
- Christian Louboutin Black Tuctopen 140 Nappa Leather Pumps 37.5 Sandals Size US 7.5 Regular (M, B)
- Christian Louboutin Gold Beige Ailti Patent Cork Spikes High Heel Red Lady Fashion Toe Bianca Pumps Size US 9 Regular (M, B)
- Nike T-Lite Xi Mens Running Trainers 616544 Sneakers Shoes 007
- NEW Mens Sz 7.5 NIKE Dual Fusion TR 395782 101 White Orange Sneakers Shoes
- Adidas Stella McCartney Atani Bounce Women's running AQ3046 Sz 6
- Women's Nike Lunarlon Size 7
- Ladies Skechers Ultra Flex Bright Horizon Fitness Performance Trainers All Sizes
- Women Pointy Toe Buckle Color Stitched Mid Chunky Block Heel Ankle Boots Plus Sz
- Nike Air Jordan 1 Flight Premium Shoes Black/Red Mens Size 11.5 838818-060 NEW
- NEW NIKE AIR FLYKNIT RACER TOTAL ORANGE RUNNING SHOE 526628-810 MEN SIZE 13
- Lady Rebel by Durango Women's Saddle Western Boot
- NWOB Steve Madden 'Wowwzer' Over the Knee Boot- Black- Size 7.5
- Gentlemen/Ladies Old Gringo Womans Boots Not so expensive Win highly appreciated Preferred boutique
- Leisure Womens Sweet Slip On Slippers Flats Pointy Toes Mules Bowknot Shoes New
- WOMEN'S SHIOES, SESTO MEUCCI, TAN WOVEN, SLIP-ON, SIZE 9M
- Man/Woman NEW CALPIERRE WOMENS LOAFER Louis, elaborate discount price high quality product
- Fulinken 2 Color Sz 5-9 Genuine Leather Wingtip Oxford Formal Dress Womens Shoes
- VINCE Womens 'Alona' Black Patent Leather Slip On Almond Toe Oxfords Sz 8 NEW!
- Gentlemen/Ladies [BS8348] Womens Reebok Crossfit Nano 7 Wear resistant Beautiful appearance Very good color
- Vibram FiveFingers Women's V-Trail Shoes W69 Black/Grey Size 41
- ADIDAS NMD R2 WOMEN GREY - SHOCK PINK BRAND NEW IN BOX SIZE US 6.5 - F 38
- L.L. Bean Tan Suede Leather Slides Womens 8.5 M
- Dansko Women's Abigail Black Flats, size 36
- Gentleman/Lady Maison Margiela Future Leather HighTop Sneaker Complete specification range delicate Very practical
- New Mens Fashion Casual Shoes Casual Sports Shoes Fashion Athletic Sneakers
- Allen Edmonds Winslow Cognac Brown Kilt Kiltie Wingtip Loafers Mens Shoes 11.5 D
- Vans Chukka Boot IKAT Print Dress Blue Navy Boat Deck Shoe Sole BRAND NEW!
- CACTUS Work Boots M Brown 6" NO Steel toe For Men's Size 6 to 12
- Ariat Women's Fatbaby Scalloped 8" Saddle Brown Western Boots sz 7
- new Black 5.5"Stiletto High Heel Round Toe Top Buckle Sexy Knee Boot Size 10
- Bebe Penelope Animal Print Oxford Ankle Pump Booties . NIB Size 6.5
- Charles by Charles David Naya Pull On Wedge Mid Calf Boots, Black Suede, 6 US
- Splendid Women's Roxana Ankle Boot Taupe Size 7.5
- Fitflop Mens Monty BoatMoc Leather Boat Shoes, Tan, US 13
- versace collection high top men shoes black size 12
- Christian Louboutin Men's patent leather monk strap Shoes US 8
- Men's MEPHISTO Black Brown Leather 45 US 11
- Women's Tod's Yellow Patent Leather Driving Shoes Moccasins US 8.5
- Nike Lunar Code Pro 3/4 D Football Cleats-Black/Metallic Silver Men's SZ 16 M
- Avia Avi-Tangent Strap Mens - 11.5 Black
- Buser Snow boots Size 9 Thinsulate Insulation Used China
- 9.5" Men's J. FERRAR Biker, Work Boots. Size 13 M. Hvy @ 1lb 14oz.Ea. Nice.
- HERMAN Vintage Rust Leather Work/Hiking Boots Size 8.5 EEE
- *NEW* Skechers Steel Toe Boots, Brown, Sz 12
- Prada Black Suede Peep Toe Metal Stud Platforms Size US 8.5 Regular (M, B)
- Brown Lolah Ankle Strap Riding Cognac Boots/Booties Size US 7 Regular (M, B)
- FENTY PUMA by Rihanna Maroon Rhiannon Sneakers Size US 8 Regular (M, B)
- NEW NIKE SONIC FLIGHT Men's Basketball Shoes Size US 10
- NEW Nike Men's Lebron XIV Low Basketball Shoes Size 12 NIB
- adidas Women's Alphabounce Em W Running Shoe - Choose SZ/Color：Man's/Woman's： Negotiating
- Weatherproof Therma Duck Boots Brown Leather Fleece Shoes Lined 10M Men’s
- Very Nice! Aldo Men Ankle High Boots US 10/Black Leather Casual Side Zip
- Merrell Size 12 Gray Chukka Boots Sneakers New Mens Shoes
- MASSIMO DUTTI MEN'S BLACK SOFT OPENWORK 100% LEATHER SNEAKERS 44 REF:2503/222
- adidas Originals Men's Pro Shell Sneaker, White/Collegiate Navy/Metallic Gold,
- Nike Air Huarache Run iD NikeiD Leather Women's Blue 777331 985 SZ 9
- women pearl rivet buckle wedge high heel sneakers shoes suede creeper shoes 12.5
- Winter Women's Block Heels Fashion Stretchy Pull on Round Toe Mid Calf Boots sz
- Nike Air Max Men's Size 10 US Blue White Mesh Running Shoes Athletic Tennis
- NIKE LEBRON XI 11 ARMORY SLATE GAMMA BLUE COOL GREY 616175-401 Sz 12 XIII XIV XV
- Carlos by Carlos Santana Women's Boe Boots Black Size 7.5 M
- AQUATALIA womens boots size 10 brown suede leather knee high wedge heels zip up
- Frye 77073 Dorado Gray Leather Motorcycle Biker Riding Boots Women's Size 7
- BAREFOOT FREEDOM 'Blazer' by DREW Bone Leather Comfort Walking Shoes Sz. 9.5 N
- Me Too Lilyana Metallic Leather Women Ballet Flat Size 6.5M 6841
- Lucky Brand Women's Baylint Mule - Choose SZ/Color
- Badgley Mischka Abella ll Size 8.5 New With Box Rhinestones Bridal Formal Flat
[Editor’s Note: In Part I of this series, Dr. Nick Marsella addressed the duty we have to examine our assumptions about emergent warfighting technologies / capabilities and their associated implications to identify potential second / third order and “evil” effects. Ann Creek Women's 'Cerros' Perforated Strap BootiesMen's/Women's Audrey Suede Brown Boots - 40 Diverse new design high quality Valuable boutique In today’s post, he prescribes five actions we can embrace both individually and as organizations to avoid confirmation bias and falling into cognitive thinking traps when confronting the ramifications of emergent technologies — Enjoy!]
In part I of my blog post, I advised those advocating for the development and/or fielding of technology to be mindful of the second/third order and possible “evil” effects. I defined “evil” as an unexpected and profound negative implication(s) of the adoption/adaption of a technology and related policy. I also recommended heeding the admonition of Tim Cook, Apple’s CEO, to take responsibility for our technological creations and have the courage to think things through their potential implications – both for the good and the bad.
But even if we as individuals are willing to challenge our assumptions and think broadly and imaginatively, we can still come up short. Why? The answer is due in part to the challenges of prediction and the fact we are human with both great cognitive abilities, but also weaknesses.
First, common sense and many theorists remind us that the future is unknowable.Lucky Brand Taupe Pickla Bootie Sz. 6 1/2 Brand New For Fall, Great Price!!Gentlemen/Ladies Manolo Blahnik mocasin ankle boots 38.5 Beautiful design Excellent performance Contrary to the same paragraphThe futurist Arthur C. Clark noted in 1962, “It is impossible to predict the future, and all attempts to do in any detail appear ludicrous within a very few years.” Within this fixed condition of unknowing, the U.S. Departments of Defense and the Army must make choices to determine:
– what capabilities we desire and its related technology;
– where to invest in research and development; and
As Michael E. Raynor pointed out in his book, NEW Womens Kensie "Massey" Black Suede Leather Bootie Ankle Boots Size 7, making choices and developing strategies, which include adopting new technology, where the future is unknowable and “deeply unpredictable” either produces monumental successes or monumental failures.NEW IN BOX Cole Haan Nassau Waterproof Bootie 6.5 Chestnut Brown Leather $278New BORN Size 4 Brown Distressed Tall Leather Boots For a company this can spell financial ruin, while for the Army, it can spell disaster and the loss of Soldiers’ lives and national treasure. Yet, we must also choose a “way ahead” – often by considering “boundaries” – in a sense the left and right limits – of potential implications.
Second, our ability to predict when technology will become available is often in error nor can we accurately determine its implications. For example, in a New York Times editorial on December 8, 1903, it noted: “A man carrying airplane will eventually be built, Womens Tommy Hilfiger Knee High Strap And Buckle Riding Boots Zippered 7 M NiceNIB - Cougar Canada -Totem Waterproof Boot - Black / Red - Size 6but only if mathematicians and engineers work steadily for the next ten million years.”5 The Wright Brothers first flight took place the following week, but it took decades for commercial and military aviation to evolve.
Each of the services has faced force modernization challenges due to the adoption of technologies that weren’t mature enough; whose capabilities were over-promised; or did not support operations in the envisioned Operational Environment. For the U.S. Army, Future Combat Systems (FCS) was the most obvious and recent example of this challenge – costing billions of dollars and, just as importantly, lost time and confidence.LifeStride Women's X-Amy Soft System Boot TW4 Dark Tan Size 11WNEW Muck Boot Arctic Weekend Mid Rubber Black Swirl Winter Boots Women’s 11
Third, in terms of future technology, predictions vary widely. For example, predictions by MIT’s Rodney Brooks and futurist/inventor Ray Kurzweil vary widely to the question – “What year do you think human-level Artificial Intelligence [AI, i.e., a true thinking machine] might be achieved with a 50% probability?” Kurzweil predicts AI (as defined) will be available in 2029, while Brooks is a bit more conservative – the year 2200 – a difference of over 170 years.Justin Gypsy Blue Brown Leather Cowboy Western Boot Size 10 B Style L2904GUESS By Marciano Black Knee High Boots 7.5 Quilted Vegan Manmade Spike Heels
While one can understand the difficulty of predicting when “general AI” will be available, other technologies offer similar difficulties. The vision of the “self-driving” autonomous vehicle was first written about and experimented with in the 1920s, yet technological limitations, legal concerns, customer fears, and other barriers make implementing this capability challenging.
Lastly, as Rodney Brooks has highlighted, Carlos BY Carlos Santana Women's Sawyer Comfortable Rain Boot Moto Boots (Black) maintains:
“we tend to overestimate the effect of a technology in the short run and underestimate the effect in the long run.”Men's/Women's Montana West Fringe Collection Boots BST-035-CF Good design Reliable performance At an affordable price
SECOND, THIRD ORDER AND EVIL EFFECTS
– intentionally focus on the positive effects of adopting a technology;
– ignore the experts and those who identify the potential downside of technology; and
– fail to think thorough the short, long, and potentially dangerous effects or dependencies – imaginatively.
We do this because we are human, and more often because we fall into the confirmation bias or other cognitive thinking traps that might affect our program or pet technology. As noted by RAND in Truth Decay:J Slides Booties Womens Size 6 Ruffle Lined Furry Suede Ankle BootsCAT Women's Narcissa Persimmon 6" Boot Size 5.5 US (K,0)
“Cognitive biases and the ways in which human beings process information and make decisions cause people to look for information, opinion, and analyses that confirm preexisting beliefs, to weigh experience more heavily than data and facts, and then to rely on mental shortcuts and the beliefs of those in the same social networks when forming opinions and making decisions.”9
Yet, the warning signs or signals for many unanticipated effects can be found simply by conducting a literature review of government, think tank, academic, and popular reports (to perhaps include science fiction). This may deter some, given the sheer volume of literature is often overwhelming, but contained within these reports are many of the challenges associated with future technology, such as: the potential for deep fakes, loss of privacy, hacking,Michael Antonio NEW womans shoe Knee-High Boots size 6Men's/Women's Brown Pirate Boots New product The latest technology Strong heat and heat resistance accidents, deception, and loss of industries/jobs.
At the national level, both the current and previous administrations published reports on AI, as has the Department of Defense – some more balanced in addressing of issues of fairness, safety, governance, and ethics.10
For example, using photo recognition to help law enforcement and others seems like a great idea, yet its use is increasingly being questioned. This past May, San Francisco became the first city to ban its use, and others may follow suit.11 While some question this decision to ban vice impose a moratorium until the technology produces less errors, the question remains – did the developers and policy makers consider if there would be push back to its introduction given its current performance?FRYE Women's Tall Brown Leather Two Buckle MILDRED Eng Pull Boots Size 7.5 MBogs Women's Mattie Corsage Ankle Boot Plum Black Purple 6 M US Floral -20 degre What sources did they consult?
Another challenge is language. You’ve seen the commercials – “there is much we can do with AI” – in farming, business, and even beer making. While “AI” is a clever tag line, it may invoke unnecessary fear and misunderstanding. For example, I believe for most people equate “robotics” and “AI” with the “Terminator” franchise, raising the fear of uncontrolled autonomous military force overwhelming humanity. Even worse – under the moniker of “AI,” we will buy into “snake-oil” propositions.
We are at least decades away from “general AI” where a “system exhibits apparently intelligence behavior at least as advanced as a person” across the “full range of cognitive tasks,” but we continue to flaunt the use of “AI” without elaboration.Women's LL Bean Olive Slip Ons US 8M Thinsulate Waterproof Hunting Boots - NWOB!Womens Retro Vintage Knee HIgh Suede Fur Trim Winter Boots Size 10 B Brown
SOME ACTIONS TO TAKE
Embrace a learning organization. Popularized by Peter Senge’s The Fifth Discipline: The Art and Practice of the Learning Organization (1990), a learning organization is a place “where people continually expand their capacity to create the results they truly desire, where new and expansive patterns of thinking are nurtured, where collective aspiration is set free, and where people are continually learning how to learn together.”NIB Chicos Womens Suede Stiletto Ankle Boots 11 While some question whether we can truly make a learning organization, Senge’s thinking may help solve our problem of identifying 2nd/3rd order and evil effects.
First, we must embrace new and expansive patterns of thinking. Force developers use the acronym – “DOTMPLF-P” as shorthand for Doctrine, Organization, Training, Materiel, Personnel, Leadership, Facilities, and Policy implications – yet other factors might be as important.
For example, trust in automated or robotics systems must be instilled and measured. In one poll, 73% of respondents noted they would be afraid of riding in a fully autonomous vehicle – up 10% points from the previous year.14 What if we develop a military autonomous vehicle or a leader-follower system and one or more of our host nation allies prohibits its use? What happens if an accident occurs and the host population protests, JCrew J Crew Suede Knee High Suede Boots Size 12 12M 12B 42Naughty Monkey Sewn Up Fabric Ankle Booties, Women's Size 8, Taupe NEWarguing that the Americans don’t care for their safety?
Technologists and concept developers must move from being stove-piped in labs and single-focused to consider the broader view of technological implications across functions.
Embrace Humility. Given that we cannot predict the future and its potential consequences, developers must seek out diversified opinions, and more importantly, recognize divergent opinions.
Embrace the Data. In New York City during World War II, a small organization of some of the most brilliant minds in America worked in the office of the “Applied Mathematics Panel.” In Europe, the 8th U.S. Air Force suffered from devastating bomber losses. REPORT SIGNATURE MOTT Women's Black Leather Open Toe Ankle Boots Size 6 1/2Cole Haan Women's Brown Knee High Boots Shoes Size 5B 2" HeelLeaders wondered where best to reinforce the bombers with additional armor without significantly increasing their weight to improve survivability. Reports indicated returning bombers suffered gunfire hits over the wings and fuselage, but not in the tail or cockpits, so to the casual observer it made sense to reinforce the wings and fuselage where the damage was clearly visible.
Abraham Wald, a mathematician, worked on the problem. He noted that reinforcing the spots where damage was evident in returning aircraft wasn’t necessarily the best course of action, given that hits to the cockpit and tail were probably causing aircraft (and aircrew) losses during the mission. In a series of memorandums, he developed a “method of estimating plane vulnerability based on damage of survivors.” As Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s Sherlock Holmes noted more than 100 years ago, “It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”Womens Nordstrom MIA "Diablo" Brown Leather Boots Size 5NEW KHOMBU LADIES LEATHER WINTER BOOTS K GUARD WARM LINED COMFORT INSOLE- Size 8
Additionally, we need to reinforce our practice of performing quality literature reviews to aid in our identification of these issues.
Employ Skepticism and a Devil’s Advocate Approach. In 1587, the Roman Catholic Church created the position of Promoter of the Faith – commonly referred to as the Devil’s Advocate. To insure a candidate for sainthood met the qualification of being canonized, the role of the Devil’s Advocate was to be the skeptic (loyal to the institution), looking for reasons why not to canonize the individual. Similarly, Leaders must embrace the concept of employing a devil’s advocate approach to identifying 2nd/3rd order and evil effects of technology – if not designating a devil’s advocate with the right expertise to identify assumptions, risks, and effects. But creating any devil’s advocate or “risk identification” positions is only useful if their input is seriously considered.
Embrace the Suck. Lastly, if we are serious in identifying the 2nd/3rd order and evil effects, Man/Woman Lanne Japan Leather Shoes 37 High security Carefully selected materials Different goodsSANUK Authentic Handmade "Juniper Stone" Santa Fe CHUKKA BOOT Size 11 ANBto include identifying new dependencies, ethical issues, or other issues which challenge the adaption or development of a new technology or policy – then we must be honest, resilient, and tough. There will be setbacks, delays, and frustration.
Technology holds the power to improve and change our personal and professional lives. For the military, technology changes the ways wars are fought (i.e., the character of war), but it may also change the nature of war by potentially reducing the “human dimension” in war. If robotics, AI, and other technological developments eliminate “danger, physical exertion, intelligence and friction,”17 is war easier to wage? Will technology increase its potential frequency? Will technology create a further separation between the military and the population by decreasing the number of personnel needed? These may be some of the 2nd/3rd order and “evil” effects we need to consider.
If you enjoyed this post, please see Dr. Marsella’s previous post “Second/Third Order, and Evil Effects” – The Dark Side of Technology (DIESEL Women's EVEREST Leather Mid-Calf Tan Stiletto Boots Women's Sz 8 USED)
… as well as the following posts:JESSICA BENNETT Tan JGUARD VACCHETTA Sport Womens BootsAntonio Melani Brown 8 1/2 m boots 3inches heel 15 inches tall
– Miz Mooz Black Leather Chelsea Boots Size 40, by Dr. Nir Buras