- Paul Fredrick Brown Suede Leather Loafers Men's Size 9
- ECCO Sneaker, Men's Size 44 (US 13-13.5), Brown
- Kenneth Cole Unlisted Men's Time Flew Fashion Sneaker - Choose SZ/Color
- women's shoes CARLA SANCHEZ 10 () ankle boots brown suede AJ684
- BRAND NEW Women Banana Republic Adelpha Riding Boot . size 6 M
- Dune London Relissa Women's Tan Boot 37 EU/6M US
- Nine West Contigua Riding Boots 507, Black, 8 US
- WOMENS SHOES SAND BEIGE ROXY MILITARY BOOTS BOOTIES NEW US 6.5
- Spring Step Professional Men's Edvard Men's Slip-On Shoe Brown
- Z Zegna Chocolate california chelsea sneaker bootie Men,s size 10.5 m
- J-3060252 New Brioni Black Double Monk Buckle Dress Shoes Size US 10 Marked 9
- SKU 32 Arab - Muslim - Arabic Sandal, Slipper, Arabian Chappal for Men Naal
- Ecco Women’s Knit Pink-Beetroot/Fandango Golf Casual Hybrid Size US 6-6.5
- Classic 2005 Used Size 12 Nike 6.0 Zoom Air Mobi-One Skateboard Shoes Black Gum
- Replay Moskow Men's Denim Navy Blue Canvas Plimsoll Trainers New
- Man's/Woman's Mens Red Wing Pecos Boot Ideal gift for all occasions Carefully selected materials fine
- Men’s ECCO Track 25 GTX MocToe Hiking Boots Waterproof Leather US 11-11.5
- Rockport Mens Hiking Boots Size 8 (36686)
- USA WELLCO DESERT MILITARY COMBAT BROWN LEATHER BOOTS 6W
- Nocona MDND12 Mens Notre Dame Brown Cowhide Branded College Boots
- Men's Rockport Gore-Tex leather ankle boots brown color, size 11made in Portugal
- Men's/Women's Dockers Men's trustee 2.0 Oxford online sale Optimal price professional design
- Ted Baker Men's Quana Sneaker - Choose SZ/Color
- Christian Louboutin Miss Poppins Pony Lux Platforms Size US 6 Regular (M, B)
- Christian Louboutin Bronze Passiflore Ostrich Ankle Strap Platform Heels Gold 39.5 Sandals Size US 9.5
- Valentino Black Stud Boots/Booties Size US 8 Regular (M, B)
- NEW NIKE AIR BERWUDA SHOE BLACK/ANTHRACITE-OFF WHITE MEN'S 10
- Adidas Womens Terrex Trailmaker Shoes 6.5 US
- NIKE MARXMAN SIZE 13 MEN'S BASKETBALL SHOES (832764 600)
- adidas Womens UltraBOOST X CLIMA Shoes White Sports Running Breathable
- WMNS NIKE AIR MAX 1 ID PURPLE-GREY SZ 8 MESH TOE! [943757-983]
- Fila Women's BBN 84 2 Walking Shoe - Choose SZ/Color
- Steve Madden Emison V Ankle Boots Black Velvet Women’s Size 7 NEW Booties
- NIKE JORDAN ECLIPSE HOLIDAY BLACK/INFRARED 23-GREY MEN'S Size 11 812303-005
- Retro Jordan 3 Fire Red Size 8.5 Excellent Shape
- Women's Big Fur Winter Ankle Boots Flats Metal Point Toe Woolen Oxfords Shoes
- Tory Burch Jolie Brown Leather Riding Boot Size 8.5
- Womens New Turquoise Overlay Western Cowboy Boots Rhinestones Studded Shaft
- Anne Klein Women's Noris Loafer Moccasin Shoe Black Leather Leopard Size 6.5 M
- Man/Woman Sperry Women's Falcon, Olive Green-6 Many varieties Online export store Good quality
- VANELi Womens Nadette NuBuck Round Toe Loafers, Navy Nabuk, Size 7.5
- RAG & BONE Women's Gray Suede Espadrille Flat Loafers Shoes Size 39 US 7.5M
- Gentleman/Lady NEW L' AUTRE CHOSE WOMENS LOAFER Comfortable feeling King of quantity comfortable
- Adidas S80714 Women Clima cool Running shoes black white Sneakers
- Womens Converse x Hello Kitty Chuck Taylor All Star Canvas High Top Size 6.5 Red
- Women's adidas PureBOOST GO Running Shoes Carbon/Carbon/Trace Maroon B75667 CRB
- Dansko Professional Nursing Clogs- Slip On Elastic Shoes Women's 38, 7.5/8 Brown
- SANITA Vegan Wool Clog Shoes Nursing Blue Red tan Patchwork Quilt Fabric Size 38
- Mezlan Mens Leno Artisanal Printed Suede Loafer Dress Shoes Black 9 NEW IN BOX
- Men's/Women's Olukai Moloa Leather loafers size 11M Packaging diversity excellent At an affordable price
- New Woodlands Max Mens Comfortable Slip On Casual Shoes
- Dansko Wynn Slip On Shoes - Men's Size 9.5/10 - Mocha
- mens fashion embroidery snake pattern printed casual loafers shoes size 39-44 US
- BCBGIRLS satin brown leather slouchy tall mid calf boots 9.5 FREE SHIP!
- Sperry Top-Sider Womens Rain Shoes Duck Waterproof Animal Print Lo Boots 8.5 S86
- Roper 21-530-197 Black & Ostrich Leather Soft Rubber Soled Cowboy Boots 6.5/37
- New Arturo Chiang Lilianna Womens Black Suede Stacked Ankle Heel Size 8.5 $99
- Joan Boyce Valerie Wine Velvet Rhinestone Accent Ankle Bootie Sz 9 W 496669
- Aldo Mens Glamosa Boat Shoe, Navy Miscellaneous, 11 D US
- Mephisto Men's Adelio Black Leather Comfortable Slip On Loafer
- Man's/Woman's OFF-WHITE Men's Shoes 668164 Multicolor 28.5ｃｍ Aesthetic appearance Highly praised and appreciated by the consumer audience Maintenance capability
- Mens Leather Sandals Roman Buckle Open Toe Summer Casual Rivet Spike Beach Shoes
- CLARKS Women's Leisa Carly Loafer Flat, Navy Leather, 085 W US
- Brooks Glycerin 12 Running Shoes Men's Size US 12.5 M (D) Blue Coñor1101671D418
- Converse Chuck Taylor All Star Hi Canvas Men Size Shoes M9160 - Black/White
- DAKOTA Men's Mid Cut Quad Lite Steel Toe Steel Plate Athletic Shoes Black 10EE
- Giorgio Brutini Jackson - Black - Mens
- Wrangler Mens Newton Chelsea Boots Black Leather Shoes Biker Cowboy Slip On Boot
- Giuseppe Zanotti Black Blue Red New Sneakers Size EU 38 (Approx. US 8) Regular (M, B)
- Versace Black Patent New Leather Plexi Platform Cage Boots/Booties Size EU 40 (Approx. US 10) Regular (M, B)
- Prada Sneakers Size US 8.5
- NIKE ZOOM HYPERREV 2014 ROYAL BLUE MEN'S BASKETBALL SHOES 705370-400 SIZE 9 j28
- Nike Air Zoom Structure 21 Men's Running Shoes, Size 7.5, 904695 003
- Lake & Trail Ironwood Thinsulate Boots, Men's Size 13 M - Black
- 70% off NIB Men's KENNETH COLE Arc-Tic Blast Boot Brown sz 9 $178 Arctic
- Rockport Mens Black Ii Hiking Boots Size 8.5 (41984)
- Bragano Mens Lovely Brown Leather Moc Penny Loafers Casual Dress Shoes 9 M
- Men's/Women's ECCO Mens Helsinki Slip-On- Pick SZ/Color. Guarantee quality and quantity Optimal price Immediate delivery
- Gentleman/Lady: Nike Diamond Dunk High: Attractive fashion
- [BB2376] Womens Adidas NMD_R1 W PK Primeknit Sneaker - Clear Granite
- NIKE AIR MAX THEA ULTRA FLYKNIT WOMEN NEW With BOX (no box top) !!!
- Amazing German Shorthaired Pointer Dog-Women's Running Shoes-Free Shipping-For
- Steve Madden Women's Tolteca Boot Cognac Leather Size 5.5 jGdI
- RARE - NIKE LEBRON XI AIR MAX LOW - GREY-LASER CRIMSON - SZ 12
- New Boxed Men's Nike Metcon 3 Size 11 Black/Volt/Hyper Crimson 852928-012+BONUS!
- Womens Irregular Hollow Heel Pointed Toe Ankle Boots Side Zip Faux Leather Shoes
- SPERRY TOP SIDER SALTWATER QUILTED BLACK DUCK BOOT FLEECE LINED 8 M
- MIPIACI 6" HI DOUBLE PLATFORM CRYSTAL ANKLE BOOTS TAN US 9 .MADE IN ITALY
- Steve Madden Womens EvanGel Fabric Closed Toe Loafers, Green Mult, Size 7.0 b3yc
- Men's/Women's CLARKS Women's Emslie Chara Slip-On Loafer wholesale new Acknowledgement feedback
- New Sol Sana Women's Botany Stud Slide Rubber Black
[Editor’s Note: In Part I of this series, Dr. Nick Marsella addressed the duty we have to examine our assumptions about emergent warfighting technologies / capabilities and their associated implications to identify potential second / third order and “evil” effects. NIB Lexi and Abbie Clara Double Zip Faux Leather Booties Black Size 10Jack Rogers Sawyer Brown Womens Shoes Size 8 M Boots MSRP $198 In today’s post, he prescribes five actions we can embrace both individually and as organizations to avoid confirmation bias and falling into cognitive thinking traps when confronting the ramifications of emergent technologies — Enjoy!]
In part I of my blog post, I advised those advocating for the development and/or fielding of technology to be mindful of the second/third order and possible “evil” effects. I defined “evil” as an unexpected and profound negative implication(s) of the adoption/adaption of a technology and related policy. I also recommended heeding the admonition of Tim Cook, Apple’s CEO, to take responsibility for our technological creations and have the courage to think things through their potential implications – both for the good and the bad.
But even if we as individuals are willing to challenge our assumptions and think broadly and imaginatively, we can still come up short. Why? The answer is due in part to the challenges of prediction and the fact we are human with both great cognitive abilities, but also weaknesses.
First, common sense and many theorists remind us that the future is unknowable.Isola Womens Black Leather Kimball Boots Shoe Size 11 M New!I35 Beverley Riding Boots 481, Black, 8.5 USThe futurist Arthur C. Clark noted in 1962, “It is impossible to predict the future, and all attempts to do in any detail appear ludicrous within a very few years.” Within this fixed condition of unknowing, the U.S. Departments of Defense and the Army must make choices to determine:
– what capabilities we desire and its related technology;
– where to invest in research and development; and
As Michael E. Raynor pointed out in his book, Man/Woman Leather Boots - size 37 Easy to clean surface high quality Very good color, making choices and developing strategies, which include adopting new technology, where the future is unknowable and “deeply unpredictable” either produces monumental successes or monumental failures.Men's/Women's boots women size 9 Elegant shape Elegant style Exquisite (processing) processingSole Society Women's Size 9 Sally Column Heel Bootie Peep Toe Cut Out Tan Suede For a company this can spell financial ruin, while for the Army, it can spell disaster and the loss of Soldiers’ lives and national treasure. Yet, we must also choose a “way ahead” – often by considering “boundaries” – in a sense the left and right limits – of potential implications.
Second, our ability to predict when technology will become available is often in error nor can we accurately determine its implications. For example, in a New York Times editorial on December 8, 1903, it noted: “A man carrying airplane will eventually be built, Sam Edelman Women's Black Leather "Loren" Boots Shoe Size 6 M NEW!Report Womens Stone Gray Studded Boots 7.5but only if mathematicians and engineers work steadily for the next ten million years.”5 The Wright Brothers first flight took place the following week, but it took decades for commercial and military aviation to evolve.
Each of the services has faced force modernization challenges due to the adoption of technologies that weren’t mature enough; whose capabilities were over-promised; or did not support operations in the envisioned Operational Environment. For the U.S. Army, Future Combat Systems (FCS) was the most obvious and recent example of this challenge – costing billions of dollars and, just as importantly, lost time and confidence.Womens Leather Craft Sz 8M Black Suede Leather Fashion Cowboy Boots FringesKhombu New Ashton Black Womens Shoes Size 8 M Boots MSRP $95
Third, in terms of future technology, predictions vary widely. For example, predictions by MIT’s Rodney Brooks and futurist/inventor Ray Kurzweil vary widely to the question – “What year do you think human-level Artificial Intelligence [AI, i.e., a true thinking machine] might be achieved with a 50% probability?” Kurzweil predicts AI (as defined) will be available in 2029, while Brooks is a bit more conservative – the year 2200 – a difference of over 170 years.Jeffrey Campbell Metallic Pink Leather Harness El Camino Wood Clogs Sz 6 NewVince Camuto VC COURTNEY BLACK VINTAGE TUMBLED HEELS CLOGS BOOTS SIZE 6.5 NEW
While one can understand the difficulty of predicting when “general AI” will be available, other technologies offer similar difficulties. The vision of the “self-driving” autonomous vehicle was first written about and experimented with in the 1920s, yet technological limitations, legal concerns, customer fears, and other barriers make implementing this capability challenging.
Lastly, as Rodney Brooks has highlighted, TOSCA BLU Women Cowboy Boots Size US 6 Brown Leather maintains:
“we tend to overestimate the effect of a technology in the short run and underestimate the effect in the long run.”Women's Reba Leather Studded Biker Cowboy Western Boots 7.5M Brown Casual
SECOND, THIRD ORDER AND EVIL EFFECTS
– intentionally focus on the positive effects of adopting a technology;
– ignore the experts and those who identify the potential downside of technology; and
– fail to think thorough the short, long, and potentially dangerous effects or dependencies – imaginatively.
We do this because we are human, and more often because we fall into the confirmation bias or other cognitive thinking traps that might affect our program or pet technology. As noted by RAND in Truth Decay:Women's Cole Haan Nike Air Sara Brown Nubuck Leather Boots Mid-calf Size 9BMarc Fisher New Alexis Black Womens Shoes Size 5.5 M Boots MSRP $179
“Cognitive biases and the ways in which human beings process information and make decisions cause people to look for information, opinion, and analyses that confirm preexisting beliefs, to weigh experience more heavily than data and facts, and then to rely on mental shortcuts and the beliefs of those in the same social networks when forming opinions and making decisions.”9
Yet, the warning signs or signals for many unanticipated effects can be found simply by conducting a literature review of government, think tank, academic, and popular reports (to perhaps include science fiction). This may deter some, given the sheer volume of literature is often overwhelming, but contained within these reports are many of the challenges associated with future technology, such as: the potential for deep fakes, loss of privacy, hacking,Sam Edelman Jayla Leather Fur Trim Wedge Zip Ankle Boot Women's Sz 9.5 M SS0106INC Womens Georgiee Black Ankle Night Out Booties Heels 7 Medium (B,M) BHFO 8015 accidents, deception, and loss of industries/jobs.
At the national level, both the current and previous administrations published reports on AI, as has the Department of Defense – some more balanced in addressing of issues of fairness, safety, governance, and ethics.10
For example, using photo recognition to help law enforcement and others seems like a great idea, yet its use is increasingly being questioned. This past May, San Francisco became the first city to ban its use, and others may follow suit.11 While some question this decision to ban vice impose a moratorium until the technology produces less errors, the question remains – did the developers and policy makers consider if there would be push back to its introduction given its current performance?White Mountain Womens CAYDEN Almond Toe Ankle Fashion, Black/SMOOTH, Size 8.0 hZGEOX Bottes à Talons Cuir Lisse Noir Doublées Cuir T 37 BE What sources did they consult?
Another challenge is language. You’ve seen the commercials – “there is much we can do with AI” – in farming, business, and even beer making. While “AI” is a clever tag line, it may invoke unnecessary fear and misunderstanding. For example, I believe for most people equate “robotics” and “AI” with the “Terminator” franchise, raising the fear of uncontrolled autonomous military force overwhelming humanity. Even worse – under the moniker of “AI,” we will buy into “snake-oil” propositions.
We are at least decades away from “general AI” where a “system exhibits apparently intelligence behavior at least as advanced as a person” across the “full range of cognitive tasks,” but we continue to flaunt the use of “AI” without elaboration.Madden Girl Women's Barbiee Ankle Boot, Black Paris, Size 10.0Madden Girl Women's Groupie Over The Knee Boot, Black Fabric, Size 9.5 Zo5c
SOME ACTIONS TO TAKE
Embrace a learning organization. Popularized by Peter Senge’s The Fifth Discipline: The Art and Practice of the Learning Organization (1990), a learning organization is a place “where people continually expand their capacity to create the results they truly desire, where new and expansive patterns of thinking are nurtured, where collective aspiration is set free, and where people are continually learning how to learn together.”Report Women's Melvin Western Boot, Taupe, Size 8.5 ZE2t While some question whether we can truly make a learning organization, Senge’s thinking may help solve our problem of identifying 2nd/3rd order and evil effects.
First, we must embrace new and expansive patterns of thinking. Force developers use the acronym – “DOTMPLF-P” as shorthand for Doctrine, Organization, Training, Materiel, Personnel, Leadership, Facilities, and Policy implications – yet other factors might be as important.
For example, trust in automated or robotics systems must be instilled and measured. In one poll, 73% of respondents noted they would be afraid of riding in a fully autonomous vehicle – up 10% points from the previous year.14 What if we develop a military autonomous vehicle or a leader-follower system and one or more of our host nation allies prohibits its use? What happens if an accident occurs and the host population protests, Enzo Angiolini Womens Franses Leather Open Toe Ankle Fashion Black Size 11.0 oDr. Scholl's Women's Brilliance Riding Boot Black Size 10.0 fdVQarguing that the Americans don’t care for their safety?
Technologists and concept developers must move from being stove-piped in labs and single-focused to consider the broader view of technological implications across functions.
Embrace Humility. Given that we cannot predict the future and its potential consequences, developers must seek out diversified opinions, and more importantly, recognize divergent opinions.
Embrace the Data. In New York City during World War II, a small organization of some of the most brilliant minds in America worked in the office of the “Applied Mathematics Panel.” In Europe, the 8th U.S. Air Force suffered from devastating bomber losses. Joe Browns Cristobel Women's Zip Front Flowers Ankle Boots With Side Corsage NewWomen's Snake Booties Animal Print Booties Black Booties Beige Booties Black BooLeaders wondered where best to reinforce the bombers with additional armor without significantly increasing their weight to improve survivability. Reports indicated returning bombers suffered gunfire hits over the wings and fuselage, but not in the tail or cockpits, so to the casual observer it made sense to reinforce the wings and fuselage where the damage was clearly visible.
Abraham Wald, a mathematician, worked on the problem. He noted that reinforcing the spots where damage was evident in returning aircraft wasn’t necessarily the best course of action, given that hits to the cockpit and tail were probably causing aircraft (and aircrew) losses during the mission. In a series of memorandums, he developed a “method of estimating plane vulnerability based on damage of survivors.” As Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s Sherlock Holmes noted more than 100 years ago, “It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”Amalfi by Rangoni 'Amina' Black Leather Chunky Heel Ankle Boot Women Size 6.5 MTemperate Weather Waterproof Leather Military Boots (GORE-TEX, Sizes 2-16)
Additionally, we need to reinforce our practice of performing quality literature reviews to aid in our identification of these issues.
Employ Skepticism and a Devil’s Advocate Approach. In 1587, the Roman Catholic Church created the position of Promoter of the Faith – commonly referred to as the Devil’s Advocate. To insure a candidate for sainthood met the qualification of being canonized, the role of the Devil’s Advocate was to be the skeptic (loyal to the institution), looking for reasons why not to canonize the individual. Similarly, Leaders must embrace the concept of employing a devil’s advocate approach to identifying 2nd/3rd order and evil effects of technology – if not designating a devil’s advocate with the right expertise to identify assumptions, risks, and effects. But creating any devil’s advocate or “risk identification” positions is only useful if their input is seriously considered.
Embrace the Suck. Lastly, if we are serious in identifying the 2nd/3rd order and evil effects, Enzo Angiolini Womens Franses Leather Open Toe Ankle Fashion, Blue, Size 8.5 FyhJ.Crew Boot MacAlister Suede Desert Wedge Black Size 10to include identifying new dependencies, ethical issues, or other issues which challenge the adaption or development of a new technology or policy – then we must be honest, resilient, and tough. There will be setbacks, delays, and frustration.
Technology holds the power to improve and change our personal and professional lives. For the military, technology changes the ways wars are fought (i.e., the character of war), but it may also change the nature of war by potentially reducing the “human dimension” in war. If robotics, AI, and other technological developments eliminate “danger, physical exertion, intelligence and friction,”17 is war easier to wage? Will technology increase its potential frequency? Will technology create a further separation between the military and the population by decreasing the number of personnel needed? These may be some of the 2nd/3rd order and “evil” effects we need to consider.
If you enjoyed this post, please see Dr. Marsella’s previous post “Second/Third Order, and Evil Effects” – The Dark Side of Technology (G by Guess Womens Hailee WC Round Toe Knee High Fashion Boots Brown Size 7.0 o)
… as well as the following posts:Naturalizer Women's Rainy Ankle Bootie Oatmeal Size 7.0Carlos by Carlos Santana Women's Mandarin Ankle Boot Black 2 Size 10.0 zsM1
– New Women's Arctic Plunge Lined Duck Boots Sz 7, by Dr. Nir Buras