- New Regency All Leather Dress Mens Loafers/ Black/ Side Orn Moc 4795 MSRP $120
- Adidas Adi Ease Woven C77698 Lifestyle Men Shoes
- Polo Ralph Lauren Men's Vaughn Fashion Sneaker - Choose SZ/Color
- LADIES SPOT ON ANKLE BOOTS BLACK "F50489"
- Nine West New Women's Black Cool Kat Knee-High Boot
- 3 Color Women Round Toe Buckle Strap Block Heel Knee High Knight Boots New Chic
- NWT ZARA HI-HEEL ZIP BLACK "IT'S LEATHER" ANKLE BOOT wSTUD DETAILS Sz 8 39
- STEVE MADDEN Black Leather Fashion Riding Knee High Boots Flats Zip 7.5 38 $150
- Fashion Mens Round Toe Weaving Leather Shoes Hairstylist Business Shoes Loafers
- Ariat Men's Spitfire Low Moccasin Brown Bomber Full Grain Leather Moccasins
- Mens Christian Louboutin Louis Saffiano Tan Strass Sneakers Size 42 ($3295) CYBE
- Taketora Bamboo Sandal Zori Japan 28cm for Men's
- Chaco Women's Sloan-W Hiking Shoe Blue Steel 8.5 M US
- Puma Suede Embossed Mixed Rubber Mid Men's Sneakers 361895-02 Red 11
- Skechers Mens Sneakers Shoes Larson Almelo Charcoal/Black 64969CCBK Size 11.5
- NOS acton rubber slip over galoshes mens 11
- Tru-Spec 4063 Men's Tactical Assault 9" Coyote Boots
- VTG MENS ROCKY COWBOY WORK LEATHER BROWN BOOTS SIZE ?
- Vintage LARRY MAHAN Green Butter Soft Leather Cowboy Western Boots Mens Sz 10.5
- Vintage Dan Post Mens Cowboy Boots Two Tone Brown Distressed Thrashed Leather 9
- Japanese Rikio Tavic TABI Boots Ninja Shoes Low Cut Black TVC Japan
- Onitsuka Tiger by Asics Men's Mexico US 13 M Grey Leather Sneakers Shoes $110.00
- Twisted X Ladies Tan Athleisure Shoes 9
- Salvatore Ferragamo Silver Metallic Laser Cut Leather Vara Pumps Size EU 37.5 (Approx. US 7.5) Regular (M, B)
- Christian Louboutin Black Seann Girl Boots/Booties Size US 9
- Christian Louboutin Bisou Pigalle Pumps Size US 12 Regular (M, B)
- NIKE SB ZOOM STEFAN JANOSKI 333824-046 COOL GREY / ROYAL BLUE WHITE
- Sneakers Puma platform trace Women - Leather (366109)
- Nike Tanjun Light Bone Black White Men Running Shoes Sneakers Trainer 812654-012
- ADIDAS WOMEN'S BOOST NMD R1 STLT PK PRIMEKNIT ASH PINK WHITE CQ2028 7.5 10
- Nike Women's Legend React Running Shoe
- CONVERSE X JOHN VARVATOS Vintage Slip On Chucks -
- Calvin Klein Womens Cailey Ankle Boot Cap Toe Ankle Fashion Boots
- Nike Air Huarache Run Ultra Trainer, Men’s Size 8
- Nike Lebron IX 9 GS Summit Lake Charlotte Hornets Purple 472664 500 Size 4Y
- Clubwear Womens Zipper Square toe Patent Leather Ankle Boots Mid Block Heel Shoe
- Gentleman/Lady BEYOND-4000 Fashion pattern Has a long reputation King of the crowd
- RALPH LAUREN COLLECTION Brown Suede Slip On Loafers Moccasins 8B
- ECCO womens US 7 / 7.5 black leather slip-on loafer shoes
- Merrell Women's Applaud Slides FIT-ECO Leather Slip-On Comfort Shoes
- Spring Step FILOMENA-B - FILOMENA Size: - Color:
- NAOT Miro Brown womens slip on loafers sz 9-9.5 US 40 EU
- Geox Womens Wcaroline18 Dress Pump, Black/Light Bronze, 38.5 EU/8.5 M US
- Customized Dog Print Running Shoes For Women-Express Shipping-Designed By Giovan
- Womens Nike Air Max 95 LX SZ 7.5 Particle Rose AA1103-600
- ASICS GEL-Quantum 360 4 Womens Running sneakers 1022A029-300 MSRP:$160
- Women's AEROSOLES Shoes 6M Heelrest Soft Cushion Black Leather Leopard Loafers
- Softwalk Womens Napa Black Rose Flats Size 6.5 (AA,N) (31945)
- P.W. Minor Mens All American, Black (11066) SZ: 11.5
- Merrell Size 13 Olmec Black Mocs Shoes Casual Slip On Leather
- Vintage Rockport Prowalker Leather Sneakers Size 7
- Gentlemen/Ladies Sperry Top-Sider Wahoo Multi-Knit CVO Sneaker Crazy price Highly praised and appreciated by the consumer audience Seasonal promotion
- men's shoes TRIVER FLIGHT 9 () loafers blue suede AB633-C
- STUART WEITZMAN Women's BROWN Leather Ankle Fashion High Heel Boots 6.5N US
- Lucky Brand Lahela Ankle Boots 461, Bracken, 10 US / 40 EU
- ZIGI SOHO Womens KOURTLAN Closed Toe Ankle Fashion Boots, Black, Size 10.0 VUbH
- Charles by Charles David Women's Gunter Slouch Boot Black Size 9.0 RHRu
- LAUREN RALPH LAUREN Cabrey Black Leather Ankle Boot Bootie Size 7 NIB $120
- New Mens Columbia "Newton Ridge Plus II” Waterproof Hiking Trail Boots
- NIKE AIR WOVEN BOOT Sneakers 924463-001 kn1700 Black US 9 27.0 cm
- Invicta Womens Objet D Art Automatic Gold and Leather Casual Watch, Color:White
- adidas Performance Adilette Red White Mens Sports Sandals Size 10 288193
- Nine West Womens Onlee Synthetic Pointy Toe Flat- Pick SZ/Color.
- Man's/Woman's MENS SALMING RACE MEN'S TRAINING/RUNNERS/SNEAKERS/FITNESS/RUNNING SHOES Elegant appearance Bright colors negotiation
- Adidas Originals Superstar Supershell Pharrell Williams S83368
- STAMPEDE CLASSIC ROUND TOE UNISEX WESTERN BOOTS CLOSEOUT
- Justin Cognac Leather Pull On Round Toe Western Cowboy Boots Mens Size 11D
- Bogs Wellies Mens Bradford Green Tall Wellington Boots Size
- Christian Louboutin Black Fyalta 85mm Suede Mary Jane A498 Pumps Size EU 37 (Approx. US 7) Regular (M, B)
- Manolo Blahnik Black Pumps Size US 11 Regular (M, B)
- Stuart Weitzman Leather Dark Brown Pumps Size US 8 Narrow (Aa, N)
- NIKE Kobe X Mid EXT Men's Basketball Sneakers 802366 600 sizes 10.5
- NIKE ZOOM VICTORY 3 SPRINT TRACK & FIELD SPIKES BLACK WHITE SZ 10.5 835997-017
- Mens SHOES/FOOTWEAR - SOA Eagle Elastic Side Boot black
- Mens Leather Black Western Wear Biker Rodeo Square Toe Cowboy Boots
- MATTERHORN 4402494 MENS SAFETY TOE EH WATERPROOF INSULATED FIELD BOOT 8.5M NICE!
- ECCO Men's Irondale Retro Low Fashion Sneaker
- Skechers USA 64810 Mens Palen Alesco Oxford- Choose SZ/Color.
- PUMA 18903903 Womens Burst Mesh Wns Cross-Trainer Shoe- Choose SZ/Color.
- adidas Originals WMNS EQT Support RF women lifestyle NEW BY8783
- Nike Womens Flex Supreme Tr 5 Running Trainers 852467 Sneakers Shoes 001
- Vans Sk8-Hi Slim (Neon Leather) VN0A32R2MW4 Pink Leather Shoes (B, M) Women
- Journee Collection Spokane Womens Knee-High Boots BLACK Size 8
- Nike sonic flight basketball shoes multi color size 12.5 us new with box
- Nike Benassi Duo Ultra SLD/Pigalle Blue/ Royal-White Nike Lab 902783-400 SZ 11
- Eileen fisher key bootie boots black suede low heel womens size 9.5
- Nine West Women's Kelsawn Leather Platform - Choose SZ/color
- Kenneth Cole REACTION Women's Cherry Tall Shaft Heeled Boot Knee High
- Women’s Hush Puppies Soft Style Size 9.5 Narrow Shoes
- Princetown buckle Genuine Rabbit Fur Lined Embroidery Loafer Slipper Mules shoes
- Earth Pax - Women's Lightweight Breathable Leather O Navy - 6 Medium
[Editor’s Note: In Part I of this series, Dr. Nick Marsella addressed the duty we have to examine our assumptions about emergent warfighting technologies / capabilities and their associated implications to identify potential second / third order and “evil” effects. Nike Air Max Renegade Men's Size 9 Sneakers Shoes Leather Black/Black 431998-020Nike Air Max 97 Mid RT Ricardo Tisci US 9 Jordan Air Max Yeezy OFF-WHITE In today’s post, he prescribes five actions we can embrace both individually and as organizations to avoid confirmation bias and falling into cognitive thinking traps when confronting the ramifications of emergent technologies — Enjoy!]
In part I of my blog post, I advised those advocating for the development and/or fielding of technology to be mindful of the second/third order and possible “evil” effects. I defined “evil” as an unexpected and profound negative implication(s) of the adoption/adaption of a technology and related policy. I also recommended heeding the admonition of Tim Cook, Apple’s CEO, to take responsibility for our technological creations and have the courage to think things through their potential implications – both for the good and the bad.
But even if we as individuals are willing to challenge our assumptions and think broadly and imaginatively, we can still come up short. Why? The answer is due in part to the challenges of prediction and the fact we are human with both great cognitive abilities, but also weaknesses.
First, common sense and many theorists remind us that the future is unknowable.Nike Air Max Motion LW Sneakers Men's Lifestyle ShoesJordan Cool Grey 9 Size 7.5 2002 Vintage Classic NikeThe futurist Arthur C. Clark noted in 1962, “It is impossible to predict the future, and all attempts to do in any detail appear ludicrous within a very few years.” Within this fixed condition of unknowing, the U.S. Departments of Defense and the Army must make choices to determine:
– what capabilities we desire and its related technology;
– where to invest in research and development; and
As Michael E. Raynor pointed out in his book, MEN'S NEW NIKE FREE TRAINER 5.0 V6 TB SHOES WHITE/BLACK 723987-100 SIZE 8 US, making choices and developing strategies, which include adopting new technology, where the future is unknowable and “deeply unpredictable” either produces monumental successes or monumental failures.Nike Air Max 90 PRM "Safari" Shoes 700155-006 Cool Grey/Bamboo-Black Men’s Sz 12VTG OG Nike Shark Leather White Low Shoes Cleats Display Box NOS New Mens Sz 7.5 For a company this can spell financial ruin, while for the Army, it can spell disaster and the loss of Soldiers’ lives and national treasure. Yet, we must also choose a “way ahead” – often by considering “boundaries” – in a sense the left and right limits – of potential implications.
Second, our ability to predict when technology will become available is often in error nor can we accurately determine its implications. For example, in a New York Times editorial on December 8, 1903, it noted: “A man carrying airplane will eventually be built, Nike Men's Zoom All Out Flyknit Running ShoeNike Air Force 1 Mid Mens 315123-205 Ridgerock Black Leather Shoes Size 12but only if mathematicians and engineers work steadily for the next ten million years.”5 The Wright Brothers first flight took place the following week, but it took decades for commercial and military aviation to evolve.
Each of the services has faced force modernization challenges due to the adoption of technologies that weren’t mature enough; whose capabilities were over-promised; or did not support operations in the envisioned Operational Environment. For the U.S. Army, Future Combat Systems (FCS) was the most obvious and recent example of this challenge – costing billions of dollars and, just as importantly, lost time and confidence.NIKE SB BLAZER LOW GT QS "Cat's Paw" Black / Vivid Orange / White AV3028 001 NEWNike Lebron 13 Size 7men Knicks Blue Orange
Third, in terms of future technology, predictions vary widely. For example, predictions by MIT’s Rodney Brooks and futurist/inventor Ray Kurzweil vary widely to the question – “What year do you think human-level Artificial Intelligence [AI, i.e., a true thinking machine] might be achieved with a 50% probability?” Kurzweil predicts AI (as defined) will be available in 2029, while Brooks is a bit more conservative – the year 2200 – a difference of over 170 years.NIKE TR MAX 360 TB RUNNING SHOES TEAM CRIMSON WHITE 599286-602 Mens Sz 11Nike Air Jordan X SoleFly Eclipse SP SZ 7.5 Arctic Orange 893513-805
While one can understand the difficulty of predicting when “general AI” will be available, other technologies offer similar difficulties. The vision of the “self-driving” autonomous vehicle was first written about and experimented with in the 1920s, yet technological limitations, legal concerns, customer fears, and other barriers make implementing this capability challenging.
Lastly, as Rodney Brooks has highlighted, 2013 Lebron 10 Low Sonic Yellow 6579765 700 Sz 9.5 maintains:
“we tend to overestimate the effect of a technology in the short run and underestimate the effect in the long run.”Nike Zoom Live II EP 2 White Reflect Silver Gum Men Basketball AH7567-100 Size 8
SECOND, THIRD ORDER AND EVIL EFFECTS
– intentionally focus on the positive effects of adopting a technology;
– ignore the experts and those who identify the potential downside of technology; and
– fail to think thorough the short, long, and potentially dangerous effects or dependencies – imaginatively.
We do this because we are human, and more often because we fall into the confirmation bias or other cognitive thinking traps that might affect our program or pet technology. As noted by RAND in Truth Decay:Nike Trainerendor Sneakers Burgandy / Navy 616575-641 Men’s 11.5Nike Internationalist Premium Trainers Trainers Sneaker Leisure Shoe Leather
“Cognitive biases and the ways in which human beings process information and make decisions cause people to look for information, opinion, and analyses that confirm preexisting beliefs, to weigh experience more heavily than data and facts, and then to rely on mental shortcuts and the beliefs of those in the same social networks when forming opinions and making decisions.”9
Yet, the warning signs or signals for many unanticipated effects can be found simply by conducting a literature review of government, think tank, academic, and popular reports (to perhaps include science fiction). This may deter some, given the sheer volume of literature is often overwhelming, but contained within these reports are many of the challenges associated with future technology, such as: the potential for deep fakes, loss of privacy, hacking,Nike Men Free TR Training Shoes Running Black Pink Sneakers Shoe 474085-401Nike Air Max Goadome ACG Boot Deep Burgendy Mens Size US9 Free USPS Priority Shi accidents, deception, and loss of industries/jobs.
At the national level, both the current and previous administrations published reports on AI, as has the Department of Defense – some more balanced in addressing of issues of fairness, safety, governance, and ethics.10
For example, using photo recognition to help law enforcement and others seems like a great idea, yet its use is increasingly being questioned. This past May, San Francisco became the first city to ban its use, and others may follow suit.11 While some question this decision to ban vice impose a moratorium until the technology produces less errors, the question remains – did the developers and policy makers consider if there would be push back to its introduction given its current performance?Nike Air Force 1 Comfort PRM Weatherman Mens Multicolor Shoes Sz 10 599457-100Nike air Griffey III SZ 9 What sources did they consult?
Another challenge is language. You’ve seen the commercials – “there is much we can do with AI” – in farming, business, and even beer making. While “AI” is a clever tag line, it may invoke unnecessary fear and misunderstanding. For example, I believe for most people equate “robotics” and “AI” with the “Terminator” franchise, raising the fear of uncontrolled autonomous military force overwhelming humanity. Even worse – under the moniker of “AI,” we will buy into “snake-oil” propositions.
We are at least decades away from “general AI” where a “system exhibits apparently intelligence behavior at least as advanced as a person” across the “full range of cognitive tasks,” but we continue to flaunt the use of “AI” without elaboration.Air Jordan Retro 6 retro "Olympic" 2012 WH/ Midnt Navy 384664 130 Sz. 10Nike Air Force 1 Denim sz 12 624040-143
SOME ACTIONS TO TAKE
Embrace a learning organization. Popularized by Peter Senge’s The Fifth Discipline: The Art and Practice of the Learning Organization (1990), a learning organization is a place “where people continually expand their capacity to create the results they truly desire, where new and expansive patterns of thinking are nurtured, where collective aspiration is set free, and where people are continually learning how to learn together.”NIKE AIR ZOOM PEGASUS 31 MEN VOLT SIZE 8.0 RUNNING RARE NEW AUTHENTIC While some question whether we can truly make a learning organization, Senge’s thinking may help solve our problem of identifying 2nd/3rd order and evil effects.
First, we must embrace new and expansive patterns of thinking. Force developers use the acronym – “DOTMPLF-P” as shorthand for Doctrine, Organization, Training, Materiel, Personnel, Leadership, Facilities, and Policy implications – yet other factors might be as important.
For example, trust in automated or robotics systems must be instilled and measured. In one poll, 73% of respondents noted they would be afraid of riding in a fully autonomous vehicle – up 10% points from the previous year.14 What if we develop a military autonomous vehicle or a leader-follower system and one or more of our host nation allies prohibits its use? What happens if an accident occurs and the host population protests, Nike Hyperdunk 2017 Flyknit MULTICOLOR MULTI COLOR RAINBOW 917726-006 sz 11Nike Roshe Run Print Men Size 10.0 Summit White New Rare Authentic Comfortablearguing that the Americans don’t care for their safety?
Technologists and concept developers must move from being stove-piped in labs and single-focused to consider the broader view of technological implications across functions.
Embrace Humility. Given that we cannot predict the future and its potential consequences, developers must seek out diversified opinions, and more importantly, recognize divergent opinions.
Embrace the Data. In New York City during World War II, a small organization of some of the most brilliant minds in America worked in the office of the “Applied Mathematics Panel.” In Europe, the 8th U.S. Air Force suffered from devastating bomber losses. Nike air jordan 4 retro mars Blackmon 2012 releaseNike Air Pegasus AT Premium Men Trainer. Black. Sizes 6 - 11. RRP .95Leaders wondered where best to reinforce the bombers with additional armor without significantly increasing their weight to improve survivability. Reports indicated returning bombers suffered gunfire hits over the wings and fuselage, but not in the tail or cockpits, so to the casual observer it made sense to reinforce the wings and fuselage where the damage was clearly visible.
Abraham Wald, a mathematician, worked on the problem. He noted that reinforcing the spots where damage was evident in returning aircraft wasn’t necessarily the best course of action, given that hits to the cockpit and tail were probably causing aircraft (and aircrew) losses during the mission. In a series of memorandums, he developed a “method of estimating plane vulnerability based on damage of survivors.” As Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s Sherlock Holmes noted more than 100 years ago, “It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”Nike Air Force 1 Ultraforce Men's Low Top Shoes in Light Bone BeigeNike Runallday [898464-400] Men Running Shoes Blue/Platinum
Additionally, we need to reinforce our practice of performing quality literature reviews to aid in our identification of these issues.
Employ Skepticism and a Devil’s Advocate Approach. In 1587, the Roman Catholic Church created the position of Promoter of the Faith – commonly referred to as the Devil’s Advocate. To insure a candidate for sainthood met the qualification of being canonized, the role of the Devil’s Advocate was to be the skeptic (loyal to the institution), looking for reasons why not to canonize the individual. Similarly, Leaders must embrace the concept of employing a devil’s advocate approach to identifying 2nd/3rd order and evil effects of technology – if not designating a devil’s advocate with the right expertise to identify assumptions, risks, and effects. But creating any devil’s advocate or “risk identification” positions is only useful if their input is seriously considered.
Embrace the Suck. Lastly, if we are serious in identifying the 2nd/3rd order and evil effects, Nike Men's Flight Bonafide Basketball ShoeNike Men's Zoom Veer Training Shoeto include identifying new dependencies, ethical issues, or other issues which challenge the adaption or development of a new technology or policy – then we must be honest, resilient, and tough. There will be setbacks, delays, and frustration.
Technology holds the power to improve and change our personal and professional lives. For the military, technology changes the ways wars are fought (i.e., the character of war), but it may also change the nature of war by potentially reducing the “human dimension” in war. If robotics, AI, and other technological developments eliminate “danger, physical exertion, intelligence and friction,”17 is war easier to wage? Will technology increase its potential frequency? Will technology create a further separation between the military and the population by decreasing the number of personnel needed? These may be some of the 2nd/3rd order and “evil” effects we need to consider.
If you enjoyed this post, please see Dr. Marsella’s previous post “Second/Third Order, and Evil Effects” – The Dark Side of Technology (Roshe One Mens Style : 511881 Mens WHITE/WHITE SZ 18)
… as well as the following posts:NIKE Men's Air Max Zero Essential Running ShoeNike Lavadome Ultra Zapatillas Hombre 844574 002 Zapatillas
– Nike Cortez Ultra Moire 2 Hombre Zapatillas Running 918207 Zapatillas 002, by Dr. Nir Buras