- Christian Louboutin Red Highness Suede Platform Eu 36 - 6 New Pumps Size US 5.5
- Nike Olive/Black/Cellery | Jacquard Print Roshe One - Women's Sneakers Size US 9.5 Regular (M, B)
- Sperry Grey Angelfish Flats Size US 6 Regular (M, B)
- Nike Men’s Kyrie 4 shoes Size 12
- Nike Mens Roshe One Running Shoes Wolf Grey/White 511881-023 Size 8.5
- adidas Performance Women's Triple Cheer Shoe - Choose SZ/color：Men/Women： Nice
- ADIDAS X KITH COPA 17.1 FG - Black mens sz 7.5 CM7894 cleats soccer football
- Women's Nike Roshe Grade Running Shoes NEW Black Gamma / Blue / Pink, MSRP $80
- Men's And1 Basketball Sneakers Master Mid White Black Red D1060MWBR
- Nike Air Jordan 8 VIII Retro Edition 467807-105 Men's Size 10.5
- Multi Strap Mid Calf Dark Lord Superhero Costume Boots Shoes Adult Men
- Mens Casual Outdoor Shoes Trendy Toe Breathable Work Boots Hiking Sports Shoes #
- MENS BROWN LEATHER LIZARD TOE TIP COWBOY BOOTS Men's size 8.5 D
- VTG MENS BATES STEEL TOE WORK LEATHER BLACK BOOTS SIZE 8
- New Oaktrak Belper Brown Mens Brogue Chelsea Boots ALL SIZES
- Levi's Mens Boots Size 6 Black Shell toe
- Cole Haan Grand Motion C27738 Woven Stitchlite Marine Bluefish Mens Sneaker 10
- $525 VERSACE Gray White Suede Leather Casual Sneakers Men Shoes 45 / 11
- Gentleman/Lady: Xmas Lebron 9s: High Quality
- Men/Women BCBGeneration Women's Rossy Boot Outstanding features Primary quality Popular tide shoes
- Nike Free RN Flyknit 2017 Men's Running Shoes 880843 606
- Yeezy Roshes Size 11 Nike
- Man/Woman Very Volatile Women's Wilkes Riding Boot Various goods The highest quality material Various latest designs
- Clubwear Occident Women Over The Knee High Boots Stiletto Heel Sexy Plus Sz 10.5
- NEW $595+ Stuart Weitzman Suede GREY Tall Wedge Boots Sz 9.5 Narrow 4" Heel
- Womens Low Heels Soft Sole Slip On Comfort Loafers Casual Shoes Hot Sport New
- Aetrex Essence Women’s Black Alligator Patent Leather Women’s Loafers 7/38 Sr6
- Women Hidden Increased Heel Oxford Pumps SHoes Bowknot Slip On Loafers SHoes
- Calvin Klein Maisha ballet flat women black textile flat shoes size 7.5M
- Missoni New Zigzag Multi-Color Womens Shoes Size 5 M Flats MSRP $350
- Reebok BS8041 Womens Yourflex Trainette T Track Shoe- Choose SZ/Color.
- NIKE SHOX White Pink Running Cross Training Athletic Sneaker Shoes - Women's 9
- 361 Degrees Women's Strata Running Shoes - Black/Castlerock (201620121-1045)
- Women's Dansko Professional Black Leather Shoes Size 40 (9-9.5)
- Kenneth Cole Gentle Souls Iso Kix Leather Slip-On Charcoal Size 10 NEW NIB; $185
- Skechers USA Mens Larson-Norven Sneaker- Select SZ/Color.
- NEW NAUTICA Hull 2 Low Cut Oxford Sneaker Blue Men's Size 13
- Reebok, Men's size 9M, black, leather, STEEL TOED, work sneakers. Barely worn!!
- Born ~ Men's Brown Leather Oxfords ~ Sz 8/39 M/W ~ PREOWNED!
- Converse Jack Purcell Leather White Men Women Classic Shoes Sneakers 1S961
- APEPAZZA Suede High Heel BOOTS Sweater Top Stretch Platforms Womens Shoes Sz 9.5
- MADDEN GIRL Womens MASTER Tall Distressed Brown Round Toe Boots US 6M
- Tecnica Womens Cowhide Leather Fur Boots Size Euro 35 US 5 Cute! Clean!
- Lucky Brand | Jofeen Pointed Toe Ankle Bootie Size 8.5
- TOPSHOP BLACK LEATHER STUDDED ANKLE BOOTS SIZE UK6 EUR39 US8.5
- Invicta Womens Angel Quartz Stainless Steel and Leather Casual Watch, Color:Blue
- Ecco Goran Goretex Waterproof Hiking Athletic Shoes NIB 46
- Giorgio Brutini Black Leather Textured Slip On Loafer Shoe Size 8
- Gentlemen/Ladies Born Leather Sandals-9-Brown Leather Straps-Nice-Rubber Sole the most convenient Moderate cost Export
- Cole Haan Womens Shoes Size 7.5Gold Metallic Pointy dress shoes
- Men Training Shoes Sport Running Shock Absorbing Basketball High Top Athletic 12
- Mens Sneakers Casual Walking Mesh Shoes Hiking shoes Climbing Athletic Sneakers
- Mens Suede Ankle Boots Desert Pull On Casual Flat Shoes Chukka Fashion Chelsea
- VINTAGE Black Leather Santa Rosa Engineer Motorcycle Riding BOOTS 9 D
- Base London Carnoustie Black Leather Mens Slip-ons Shoes
- Christian Louboutin Silver Glitter Sparkle Metallic Spiky Sun 35mm Heels A905 Mules/Slides Size EU 40 (Approx. US 10) Regular (M, B)
- Valentino Rockstud Heels Us6 Eu36 Pumps Size US 6 Regular (M, B)
- Christian Louboutin Burgundy Lady Peep Python 150 Pivoine Open Pumps Size EU 37 (Approx. US 7) Regular (M, B)
- NEW Joe's Jeans Men's Boots Black 10.5
- Danner Mens Tachyon Black Work & Safety Boots Size 10 (19124)
- Puma Blaze Winter Tech 36134102 Casual Shoes Gray Black Medium (D,M) Men
- Florsheim Men's Moto Venetian leather Brown CH Shoes 13274-215
- MIGLIORE men shoes Antiqued dark brown suede loafer with tassels made in Italy
- Gentlemen/Ladies：Puma Ignite Dual Wns Ultra Magenta Women Running Shoes Trainers 189148-09： Aesthetic look
- NIKE AIR SHAKE NDESTRUKT 2017 BASKETBALL SHOE 880869 100 SIZE 11 (CM 29)
- Nike Navy/White Shox Trainer Basketball Sneakers Turbo Jump Size 11.5 - Free S/H
- Adidas ZX Flux Adv Verve W S32056 celadon halfshoes
- Womens NIKE AIR FORCE 1 ULTRA FLYKNIT LOW Sunset Tint Trainers 817419 601
- Mr/Ms Ariat Camo Fatbaby Size 10 1/2 New Listing online shop Characteristics
- Fashion Suede Womens Floral Pointy Toe High Block Chunky Heels Ankle Boots Shoes
- Pre-owned NIKE AIR TRAINER II 2 SB mens sz 8 JORDAN BLACK ROYAL BLUE
- Adidas Ultra Supernova Boost Energy Orange Women Size 11
- MARCO TOZZI Boots, Brown, Padded, RV, 26403 NEW
- BareTraps Women's Bt Sandrina Ankle Bootie, Black, 6.5 US/6.5 M US
- L.K. Bennett Black Leather Women Platform Ankle Boots Size 38.5
- EASTLAND LADY FINGERS BROWN LEATHER SLIP ON WEDGE HEEL LOAFER SHOE WOMENS 10 M
- New STUART WEITZMAN Black Patent Leather LOAFERS, size 6
- Earth Violet - Women's Slip-on Wedge Summer S Light Blue - 11 Medium
- French Sole Womens Passport Closed Toe Espadrille Flats Black Size 5.5 Z3ub
- Men's/Women's Trotters Women's Liz Loafer,Red,6.5 N New varieties are launched Quality First King of the crowd
- Lacoste Carnaby EVO 118 7 Spw Sneaker - Womens
- Converse All Star Big Eyelet Hi Womens 560657C Pink Canvas Satin Shoes Size 6.5
- NIKE AIR HUARACHE RUN WHITE-FUCHSIA FLASH-ARTISAN SZ 8.5 [634835-104]
- NEW Converse Chuck Taylor All Star Lo Looney Tunes Taz Sneaker Low Olive Womens
- Dansko XP Pro Painterly Patent Pattern 39 Clogs Fall Red Purple Tan Colors
- 550$ Bally Pearce Rust Sienna Suede Driver Size US 11 Made in Italy
- COLE HAAN Men's Black Leather Slip-On Shoes Size 11M
- Sperry Top-Sider Men's A/O Boat Shoes Size 8 M Brown Leather Moc 2-Eye 0195412
- Gentlemen/Ladies Klogs Dusty - Black - Mens Aesthetic appearance Stylish and fun Good quality
- Ethnic Leather Retro Mens Spring Loafer Espadrilles Sip On Flats Round Toe Shoes
- FRANCO SARTO WOMEN'S ANKLE BOOTS - MINT CONDITION - CAMEL COLORED 2.5" HEELS 7.5
- DUNHILL Womens Black Ankle Rubber Boots US Sz 11 Made in Japan Vintage
- JOIE 37.5 M Flat Knee High Boots Black Suede Buckle Women's Shoes Italy
- Womens Vagabond Grace Work Black Block Heel Fashion Ankle Suede Boots US 5.5-10
- White Mountain Women's Callaway Block-Heel Booties Black Suedette Size 5.5 M
- Massimo Dutti Men Size US 8 Sneaker Tan 2109/222/001
- Shoes Adidas Adizero Derrick Rose 2 G22887 basket man Fashion Moda Black Red
- Skechers USA Mens Larson-Norven Sneaker- Select SZ/Color.
- NEW Born Cedro Men's Brown Sandals Flip flops Shoes Size 9 Medium
- Dr Martens Polley Daze Mary Jane T-Bar Strap Multi Flowers Women's US 7 NEW $130
- Nike Men's Jordan Fly wire Rising High top Sz 12 GYM RED/BLACK-WHITE 768931-601
- Nike Mens us 8.5 sz. Splendid,urban style Black/Red
- 13.5 Mens Fur Lined Fishing Hunting Wading Work Rain shoes Mid-calf Boots BLACK
- Johnston & Murphy Black Leather Boot Men's Shoe Size 9 M 15-0761
- Cole Haan Original Grand Chukka Boots - Woodbury/Deep Espresso - Size 11.5
- Mens' Size 7 D Justin Diamond J Black Roper Western Cowboy Boots
- Born Men’s brown Leather Size 9.5 Midcalf Side Zip Boots
- Mens 9.5 EE EW Durango Black Leather Cowboy Western Work Boots 16750 12" Trooper
- Men's chic metallic Toe pull on Dress formal party low heels shoes embroider Hot
- Florsheim Work Men's FS2400 Dark Brown Moc Toe Shoes
- Marchesa Navy Crystal Emily Flats Size US 7
- Nike Black and Silver Free 5.0 Sneakers Size US 9.5 Regular (M, B)
- CYDWOQ Gunmetal Grey “minimalist” Sandals Size EU 39 (Approx. US 9) Regular (M, B)
- NEW NIKE SONIC FLIGHT Men's Basketball Shoes Size US 10.5
- Nike Lunar Hyperquickness TB Men's Basketball Red Sneakers Hightop Size 17
- adidas Women's Distancestar - Choose SZ/Color：Man/Woman：Wear yourself
- Nike Free RN Motion 2017 Black Athletic Shoes Women's 10
- Mens leather Fur Lined Home Slippers bedroom Mule Casual Rubber Non Slip Shoes
- Bamboo Twisty 01M Taupe Faux Leather Women's Platform Shin High Bootie
- New in Box Nike Zoom Hypercross TR2 Training Shoe (749362 801, size: 7.5 , $130)
- Nike Free Ace Leather Mens 749627-001 Black Orange Cross Training Shoes Size 9.5
- Not Rated Women's Savio Ankle Bootie, Black, 8 M US
- Demonia Women's Crypto-302 Knee Boot Brown 6
- ADIDAS EQT EQUIPMENT RUNNING SUPPORT WOOL SIZE 12 SUPCOL/BLACK/WHITE BRAND NEW
- Sam Edelman F0250L1 Womens Sheri- Choose SZ/Color.
- M BY MORENATOM SZ 7 B BLACK LEATHER LOAFERS FLATS SHOES
- NEW!! Sam Edelman Blue Velvet Tassell Slides Flat Shoes Size 8.5M US 38.5M EUR
- Skechers BOBS From Women's Luxe BOBS-Big Dreamer Flat
- French Sole League Perforated Ballet Flats, Black, 10 US
- Lanvin NIB White Black Leather Printed Pointy Toe Ballerina Flats SZ 41
- Gola Women's Harrier Mirror Sneaker
- Vince Verrell Velvet and Shearling Sneaker Mule Size 6.5 Shell Retail $225
- S-2278998 New Bally Jaimy Dark Navy Leather Sneakers Shoes Size US 8M
- ISABEL MARANT WILA OVER BASKET TRAINERS SNEAKERS US 11 BNWT BLACK
- Dansko Clogs 41 Knit Button Slip On Occupational Winter Snow Cold Fleece Suede
- David Eden "Bianchi" Alligator Bit Loafer, Men's Dress Leather Shoes, Cognac
- Frenchic DACIO 09 Slip On Casual Navy LOAFERS Boat Shoes Men's Sz 9.5 New
- JOHNSTON &MURPHY SIGNATURE MEN OXFORDS US M BLACK LEATHER MADE IN ITALY
- L.l Bean Loafter Boat Shoes Mens Size 11.5 Very Nice! BNWOB
- Dr. Comfort Justin Diabetic Casual Shoes Size Mens 12XW Extra Wide STK
- New Sexy Women's knee High Spike Heels Stiletto Boots Slouch Shoes
- DURANGO Womens Boot SZ 9M 6" Shorty Brown Leather Ankle Boot Side Zip Western
- NWOB Naturalizer Babette Knee Hi Boots Wide Shaft Sz 9 Black Leather $149M
- New STEVEN by STEVE MADDEN Sydnee Black Leather Motorcycle Knee High Boots 6.5
- Jessica Simpson Women's Delinda Ankle Bootie Black 6.5 M US
- Gentleman/Lady PUMA Men's The Suede Emboss Various goods luxurious Superb craftsmanship
- Pantofola D'Oro Filippis Mid Nappa Leather Men's Sneakers Size 7 US 40 EU
- Georgia Farm and Ranch Mens Mississippi Tan Wellington Work Boots G4432
- TEVA ORIGINAL UNIVERSAL BENNY GOLD GLIDER RED MENS HIKING SANDALS SIZE 12 US
- Versace 19.69 B1670 CERVO T. MORO Brogue Women's Dark Brown US
- Nike Air Prestige III SI 451685-116 Mens Low Sneakers Sz 11.5 White Red 149-10
- Adidas Adizero Prime Accelerator Men Spikes Track S78629 Navy Size 11 W/Spikes
- Mens Black mid combat /security boots 4205CTZ
- Hot Mens Pull on Winter Snow Boot Thicken Warm Casual Mid Calf Snug casual Shoes
- DANNER 69210 Insulated Acadia Gore-Tex Boots Black Sz Men's 10.5 D Vibram Sole
- Balenciaga Black New Hitop Python Leather Sneakers Eu 47 Mens Sneakers Size US 13 Regular (M, B)
- Not Rated Tan Twiggy London Boots/Booties Size US 10 Regular (M, B)
- Boutique 9 Brown "Rusty" Distressed Leather Ankle Boots/Booties Size US 7.5 Regular (M, B)
- AR1954 001 NIKE AIR FORCE 1 HIGH PRINT BLACK PARTICLE BEIGE 8-13
- Nike Hypervenom Phinish FG HyperGrape Men Size 7
- adidas Women's Nemeziz 17.4 FG W Soccer Shoe, Trace Blue/Red Zest/Core Black, 7：Man's/Woman's：Fashionable and Attractive Packages
- Nike Shoes ACG (All Condition Gear) Size 10 Mens
- Nike Kawa Shower Men's Slide Slippers White 832528-100 US Size 7, 8
- Fashion Women Faux Suede Pointy Toe Knee High Boots Fringe Block Med Heels Shoes
- Nike Lebron 11 Everglades Limited Edition Size 13
- Mens NIKE Free Train Versatility Training Trainers 833258 402
- Frank Wright Mens Acton Black Leather Casual Boots Shoes 12/46 M (D) MFW 024
- New Crockett & Jones Coniston boots for Brooks Brother's Peal & Co brand.
- NIKE Flex 2017 RN New Black Running Shoes Men's Size 9 (US) RETAIL $85
- Invicta Men's 1774 Pro-Diver Collection 18k Gold Ion-Plated Stainless Steel...
- Luxury Runway Men's Casual Real Leather Embroidery Dragon Elastic Board Shoes 9
- Gentleman/Lady: Nike Air Jordan VII: Fashionable Patterns
- Sexy 6 inch patent stretch knee high boot SZ 6 to 16 Domina-2000
- Vaneli Candie Leather Riding Boot Size 5
- Ralph Lauren Women's Jaydan Boots Limited edition (Olympic) Size 5.5
- JOSEF SEIBEL Womens 9-9.5 US 40 EU Slip On Loafers Comfort Shoes Black Y263
- Women's Patent Leather Rabbit FUr Lining Comfort Loafers SHoes Mules SLip on
- JENN ARDOR Tassel Suede Penny Loafers For Women: Vegan Leather Bow Knot...
- DONALD J PLINER SPORT I QUE Dark Grey Suede Pull On Casuals Wom US Size 7.5 ANB
- Patricia Green Women's Abigail Espadrille Slip On Grey Suede Espadrilles
- Nike Air Huarache Ultra Sandal Womens Bordeaux/White Shoe 885118-604 NEW Size 5
- Salomon Ellipse 2 LTR Womens Trekking Hiking Leather Shoes Outdoor Trainers New
- Dan Post Boots Women's Genuine Teju Lizard DP3451J
- Rick Owens Women's Shoes Sneakers - RP8891LPO | Made in Italy | All
- Dansko Olive Green Canvas Studded Clog Shoe Poland Made Womens SIZE 38 / 7.5-8
- Gentlemen/Ladies Florentine + Baker Men's Shoes High quality and cheap Environmentally friendly Very good classification
- Men's Apex Diabetic Brown Leather Shoes Size 7.5 Wide
- Merrell Men’s Size 10.5 Black Leather Slip On Shoes Loafers (b41)
- SAMELLO Man's Leather Shoes black Size 41
- Puma Shoes Clyde Baltic Turquoise Super Pink Sneakers 11 Mens Archive 181632 36
[Editor’s Note: In Part I of this series, Dr. Nick Marsella addressed the duty we have to examine our assumptions about emergent warfighting technologies / capabilities and their associated implications to identify potential second / third order and “evil” effects. NORDSTROM Mens Brown Casual Oxford Shoes w/ Arch Lift size 15 EECCO NEW YORK Oxfords Men's Euro 44/US 10-10.5 Cognac Brown Bicycle Toe Shoes In today’s post, he prescribes five actions we can embrace both individually and as organizations to avoid confirmation bias and falling into cognitive thinking traps when confronting the ramifications of emergent technologies — Enjoy!]
In part I of my blog post, I advised those advocating for the development and/or fielding of technology to be mindful of the second/third order and possible “evil” effects. I defined “evil” as an unexpected and profound negative implication(s) of the adoption/adaption of a technology and related policy. I also recommended heeding the admonition of Tim Cook, Apple’s CEO, to take responsibility for our technological creations and have the courage to think things through their potential implications – both for the good and the bad.
But even if we as individuals are willing to challenge our assumptions and think broadly and imaginatively, we can still come up short. Why? The answer is due in part to the challenges of prediction and the fact we are human with both great cognitive abilities, but also weaknesses.
First, common sense and many theorists remind us that the future is unknowable.Grace Men Flat Shoes Round Toe Loafers Slip On Faux suede Drving Loafer GomminoMens Slip On Casual Fashion Canvas Korea Working Driving Loafers Mocassin ShoesThe futurist Arthur C. Clark noted in 1962, “It is impossible to predict the future, and all attempts to do in any detail appear ludicrous within a very few years.” Within this fixed condition of unknowing, the U.S. Departments of Defense and the Army must make choices to determine:
– what capabilities we desire and its related technology;
– where to invest in research and development; and
As Michael E. Raynor pointed out in his book, Puma Men's Basket Patent Ice Fade Athletic Casual Shoe Blue Size 12M, making choices and developing strategies, which include adopting new technology, where the future is unknowable and “deeply unpredictable” either produces monumental successes or monumental failures.Dexter Comfort Brown Leather Penny Loafer Men US 8.5 M Model 333127Lucas Italy Brown Boat Loafer Slip On Shoes Men's Size 11.5 For a company this can spell financial ruin, while for the Army, it can spell disaster and the loss of Soldiers’ lives and national treasure. Yet, we must also choose a “way ahead” – often by considering “boundaries” – in a sense the left and right limits – of potential implications.
Second, our ability to predict when technology will become available is often in error nor can we accurately determine its implications. For example, in a New York Times editorial on December 8, 1903, it noted: “A man carrying airplane will eventually be built, Skechers Collection Shoes Men's Cities-Angel Oxfords Brown/Tan Leather Sz 10 MHush Puppies Five-Brogue Mens Wingtip Toe Leather Suede Red Oxford Size 11but only if mathematicians and engineers work steadily for the next ten million years.”5 The Wright Brothers first flight took place the following week, but it took decades for commercial and military aviation to evolve.
Each of the services has faced force modernization challenges due to the adoption of technologies that weren’t mature enough; whose capabilities were over-promised; or did not support operations in the envisioned Operational Environment. For the U.S. Army, Future Combat Systems (FCS) was the most obvious and recent example of this challenge – costing billions of dollars and, just as importantly, lost time and confidence.Vintage Nike I.E. Tan Brown Suede Leather Hi Top Running Shoes 880608-T2 TrainerEd Hardy LR Bronx Green Camo Skull Sneakers Tennis Shoes Mens US 12 Eu 45
Third, in terms of future technology, predictions vary widely. For example, predictions by MIT’s Rodney Brooks and futurist/inventor Ray Kurzweil vary widely to the question – “What year do you think human-level Artificial Intelligence [AI, i.e., a true thinking machine] might be achieved with a 50% probability?” Kurzweil predicts AI (as defined) will be available in 2029, while Brooks is a bit more conservative – the year 2200 – a difference of over 170 years.SKECHERS Performance On-The-Go 400 SAndals, Men's Size 11, BlueNew! Men's GBX 00558118 Harpoon Moc Loafers - Gray X18
While one can understand the difficulty of predicting when “general AI” will be available, other technologies offer similar difficulties. The vision of the “self-driving” autonomous vehicle was first written about and experimented with in the 1920s, yet technological limitations, legal concerns, customer fears, and other barriers make implementing this capability challenging.
Lastly, as Rodney Brooks has highlighted, DOCKERS Mens 11 N Tassle Loafers Brown Leather Upper Slip on Casual Shoes G maintains:
“we tend to overestimate the effect of a technology in the short run and underestimate the effect in the long run.”New Levis Men White Solid Regular Sneakers size 9
SECOND, THIRD ORDER AND EVIL EFFECTS
– intentionally focus on the positive effects of adopting a technology;
– ignore the experts and those who identify the potential downside of technology; and
– fail to think thorough the short, long, and potentially dangerous effects or dependencies – imaginatively.
We do this because we are human, and more often because we fall into the confirmation bias or other cognitive thinking traps that might affect our program or pet technology. As noted by RAND in Truth Decay:Ryan Keith Men's Size 9 Black Leather Upper Oil & Chemical Resistant Sole ShoesMens Flat Canvas Shoes Round toe Casual Driving Loafers Slip On Vogue Brogue Win
“Cognitive biases and the ways in which human beings process information and make decisions cause people to look for information, opinion, and analyses that confirm preexisting beliefs, to weigh experience more heavily than data and facts, and then to rely on mental shortcuts and the beliefs of those in the same social networks when forming opinions and making decisions.”9
Yet, the warning signs or signals for many unanticipated effects can be found simply by conducting a literature review of government, think tank, academic, and popular reports (to perhaps include science fiction). This may deter some, given the sheer volume of literature is often overwhelming, but contained within these reports are many of the challenges associated with future technology, such as: the potential for deep fakes, loss of privacy, hacking,Tretorn Motto Boat Shoe Light Blue Men’s 13MNEW Men's casual shoes men pointed shoes male formal wedding shoes Oxford 887 accidents, deception, and loss of industries/jobs.
At the national level, both the current and previous administrations published reports on AI, as has the Department of Defense – some more balanced in addressing of issues of fairness, safety, governance, and ethics.10
For example, using photo recognition to help law enforcement and others seems like a great idea, yet its use is increasingly being questioned. This past May, San Francisco became the first city to ban its use, and others may follow suit.11 While some question this decision to ban vice impose a moratorium until the technology produces less errors, the question remains – did the developers and policy makers consider if there would be push back to its introduction given its current performance?New Men's Skechers Relaxed Fit Elected Drigo Casual Slip On Shoes 64654 dc 50PMens Canvas Moccasins Driving Slip On Loafers Flats Breathable Linen Shoes What sources did they consult?
Another challenge is language. You’ve seen the commercials – “there is much we can do with AI” – in farming, business, and even beer making. While “AI” is a clever tag line, it may invoke unnecessary fear and misunderstanding. For example, I believe for most people equate “robotics” and “AI” with the “Terminator” franchise, raising the fear of uncontrolled autonomous military force overwhelming humanity. Even worse – under the moniker of “AI,” we will buy into “snake-oil” propositions.
We are at least decades away from “general AI” where a “system exhibits apparently intelligence behavior at least as advanced as a person” across the “full range of cognitive tasks,” but we continue to flaunt the use of “AI” without elaboration.mens moccasins suede look shoes driving loafers slip on boat ribbon italian newMen's Driving Moccasins Summer Soft Casual Leather Loafers Boat Shoes Slip On N5
SOME ACTIONS TO TAKE
Embrace a learning organization. Popularized by Peter Senge’s The Fifth Discipline: The Art and Practice of the Learning Organization (1990), a learning organization is a place “where people continually expand their capacity to create the results they truly desire, where new and expansive patterns of thinking are nurtured, where collective aspiration is set free, and where people are continually learning how to learn together.”VINCE MEN'S BLACK SUEDE "ABE" SHOES SIZE 9M VERY GOOD USED CONDITION While some question whether we can truly make a learning organization, Senge’s thinking may help solve our problem of identifying 2nd/3rd order and evil effects.
First, we must embrace new and expansive patterns of thinking. Force developers use the acronym – “DOTMPLF-P” as shorthand for Doctrine, Organization, Training, Materiel, Personnel, Leadership, Facilities, and Policy implications – yet other factors might be as important.
For example, trust in automated or robotics systems must be instilled and measured. In one poll, 73% of respondents noted they would be afraid of riding in a fully autonomous vehicle – up 10% points from the previous year.14 What if we develop a military autonomous vehicle or a leader-follower system and one or more of our host nation allies prohibits its use? What happens if an accident occurs and the host population protests, Polo Ralph Lauren Men's Black Leather Slip-On Loafers Size 10MJOHNSTON & MURPHY Passport Woven Slip On Leather Loafers Brown Men's Size 8.5 Marguing that the Americans don’t care for their safety?
Technologists and concept developers must move from being stove-piped in labs and single-focused to consider the broader view of technological implications across functions.
Embrace Humility. Given that we cannot predict the future and its potential consequences, developers must seek out diversified opinions, and more importantly, recognize divergent opinions.
Embrace the Data. In New York City during World War II, a small organization of some of the most brilliant minds in America worked in the office of the “Applied Mathematics Panel.” In Europe, the 8th U.S. Air Force suffered from devastating bomber losses. Dr. Martens 1561/59 4-Eye Made in England Size 5 USClarks 70846 Escalade Step Stitched Full Grain Casual Loafer Men's US 8.5MLeaders wondered where best to reinforce the bombers with additional armor without significantly increasing their weight to improve survivability. Reports indicated returning bombers suffered gunfire hits over the wings and fuselage, but not in the tail or cockpits, so to the casual observer it made sense to reinforce the wings and fuselage where the damage was clearly visible.
Abraham Wald, a mathematician, worked on the problem. He noted that reinforcing the spots where damage was evident in returning aircraft wasn’t necessarily the best course of action, given that hits to the cockpit and tail were probably causing aircraft (and aircrew) losses during the mission. In a series of memorandums, he developed a “method of estimating plane vulnerability based on damage of survivors.” As Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s Sherlock Holmes noted more than 100 years ago, “It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”Men’s Caterpillar SRX Brown Leather Shoe Steel Toe Size 9 1/2MMens Loafers Shoes Flats driving Casual Slip on Moccasins Shoes big size
Additionally, we need to reinforce our practice of performing quality literature reviews to aid in our identification of these issues.
Employ Skepticism and a Devil’s Advocate Approach. In 1587, the Roman Catholic Church created the position of Promoter of the Faith – commonly referred to as the Devil’s Advocate. To insure a candidate for sainthood met the qualification of being canonized, the role of the Devil’s Advocate was to be the skeptic (loyal to the institution), looking for reasons why not to canonize the individual. Similarly, Leaders must embrace the concept of employing a devil’s advocate approach to identifying 2nd/3rd order and evil effects of technology – if not designating a devil’s advocate with the right expertise to identify assumptions, risks, and effects. But creating any devil’s advocate or “risk identification” positions is only useful if their input is seriously considered.
Embrace the Suck. Lastly, if we are serious in identifying the 2nd/3rd order and evil effects, Men’s Dexter Brand Comfort Driving Moccasin Loafer 11.5 With Memory Foam1CHINESE ARMY TACTICAL SHOES BOOTS TRAINING ARMY GREEN Driving Moccasins Hotto include identifying new dependencies, ethical issues, or other issues which challenge the adaption or development of a new technology or policy – then we must be honest, resilient, and tough. There will be setbacks, delays, and frustration.
Technology holds the power to improve and change our personal and professional lives. For the military, technology changes the ways wars are fought (i.e., the character of war), but it may also change the nature of war by potentially reducing the “human dimension” in war. If robotics, AI, and other technological developments eliminate “danger, physical exertion, intelligence and friction,”17 is war easier to wage? Will technology increase its potential frequency? Will technology create a further separation between the military and the population by decreasing the number of personnel needed? These may be some of the 2nd/3rd order and “evil” effects we need to consider.
If you enjoyed this post, please see Dr. Marsella’s previous post “Second/Third Order, and Evil Effects” – The Dark Side of Technology (Men Suede Slip On Knotted Casual Driving Shoes Loafers Moccasin Gommino Shoes xi)
– Rockport Penny Loafers Pinch Toe Mens Brown Leather Adiprene Adidas Shoes Size 9, by Dr. Nir Buras