- MAGNUM Bottes Santiags Vintage Tout Cuir T 35.5 / 36 TBE
- Sporto Waterproof Suede Leather Faux Fur Trim Duck Boot White/Black 8.5 NATASHA
- Loeffler Randall Size 9.5 Teal Leather Boots With Buckle
- Aigle Macadames Mid Black Womens Rubber Waterproof Wellington Rain Boots
- Men's G.H. Bass SlipOn Split Toe Loafer Shoe Buckley Gray Brown Leather
- Men/Women The North Face MEN's Shoes Black Customer first Reliable performance Personalization trend
- Nike Air Presto Fly men lifestyle sneakers NEW ridgerock summit white 908019-203
- NIKE BENASSI JDI 343880 100 white black Men's Sandals Same Day Ship
- Man/Woman Classic Flats Pearl Black Outstanding features Let our products go to the world Beautiful and charming
- Fila Disruptor SE Triple White Mens Sneakers Shoes Sizes 6.5 -13 US Medium Width
- Nike Running Shoes Mens Size 12 Green Pre-Owned
- Mens Boots Autumn Winter PU Leather Unisex Style Plush Keep Warm Male Work
- All American Boot MFG Black Leather Mid Calf Steel Toe Work Boots Men's 9.5 D
- NIB - Men's LA BARCA CHAROL MARFIL 710 White PATENT LEATHER BOOTS- 10.5
- NEW BALANCE MO1521GR 1521 GORE-TEX GTX WATERPROOF Vibram SIZE 8.5 D Hiking Brown
- Red Wing 2226 EH Electrical Hazard Steel Toe 6" Brown Leather Boots Sz 14D
- NWT MENS WEATHERPROOF THINSULATE TAUPE & BLACK LEATHER WINTER BOOTS size 9 M
- Men's/Women's Donald J Pliner Men's Aryo Sneaker use excellent Great choice
- Valentino Pink Patent Rockstud Studded Ballet Ballerina Fuchsia 36.5 Flats Size US 6.5 Regular (M, B)
- Dansko Mens Viktor Fashion Sneaker, Navy Milled Nubuck, 46 US Mens 12.5-13 Reg
- Gentlemen/Ladies: RARE Lebron 11 2k14: Good goods
- Valentino Black Leather Rockstud T-strap Studs Pumps Size US 11 Regular (M, B)
- Christian Louboutin Black Alti Patent Pumps Size EU 40.5 (Approx. US 10.5) Regular (M, B)
- Nike Zoom Hypercross TR AMP Galaxy Men's US Size 7.5
- Nike SB Paul Rodriquez 2.5 Sz 8 DS Black White Sport Red Dunk 386613-010
- Adidas VL Court 20 K DB1828 navy blue halfshoes
- New Nike Womens Air Max Tailwind 8 Running Sport Shoes
- Man's/Woman's Funtasma Women's Arena 2012 service In short supply TRUE
- Sam Edelman Womens Petty Ankle Bootie- Pick SZ/Color.
- Nike Blazer Mid Metric Triple White Size 10 904211-100
- Nike Air Zoom KD Size 9 MENS
- Pleaser DEVIOUS DAGGER DOMINA-1023 MUERTO SCREAM INDULGE-1026 Ankle Boot
- Harley Davidson Eddington Black Womens Leather Calf-length Zip-up Biker Boots
- Women Winter New Casual Flats Fur Buckle Fleece Lined Slip On Pointed Toe Shoes
- Women Casual Cotton Flax Outdoor Comfortable Round Toe Flat Loafer Shoes
- SAS Tripad Comfort Black Leather Mary Jane Flat Buckle Shoe Women's 9N NWOB
- Aerosoles Women's MAP Out Loafer, Light tan Suede, 6.5 M US
- Burberry London Itcalbrimon Red / Brown Plaid Flats Shoes sz 36.5 US 6.5
- NIB Auth Gianvito Rossi Marcel Olive Green Velvet Loafers Flats Sz 37 7 $675
- Gentlemen/Ladies PUMA BASKET/SNEAKERS PUMA HOMME BLEU High-quality special promotion Various latest designs
- Saucony Shadow 5000 Houndstooth Womens S603501 Black Running Shoes Size 7
- Asics GEL-Kenun Knit [T882N-8896] Women Running Shoes Aruba Blue/Glacier Grey
- Dansko Women's Native Print Clogs Shoes 37 Espresso 6.5-7 MED
- Crocs Women's Alice Work White Slip-Resistant (Non-Skid)
- JOHN VARVATOS DISTRESSED OLIVE GREEN WING TIP OXFORDS MEN'S SIZE 10
- Skechers Mens Black Clogs Size 11 (316186)
- New Men Winter Warm Furry Lining Zip High Top Cotton Shoes Father Chinese Fabric
- Men's Salvatore Ferragamo Navy Blue Suede leather Loafers with Bit Sz 10 D
- ROBERT WAYNE ANGELO Brown / Copper Wheat Loafers Size 10 M Leather Cross
- Easy Street Womens Black Dawnta Ankle Boots Shoe Size 6.5 M
- LADIES HIGH TOP FLAT BOOTS IN A WOMEN'S SIZE BLACK, CASUAL, ZIP UP
- KHOMBU Canyon Black Waterproof Winter Knee High Boot Size 7.5 NIB $120
- Man/Woman stuart weitzman 7.5 Abierto Cocoa Suede Crazy price, Birmingham Various types and styles Selling new products
- Womens Black Boots Spring Step Chocolate Under the Knee Boots With Zipper New
- Men's Born Casual Moc Toe SlipOn Shoe Kent Sea Lion Dark Brown Leather H55023
- asics Japan Onitsuka Tiger MONTE POKHARA SD AP 1183A077 Green Free shipping
- Men's Double Buckle Sandals Gray Navy Blue Black Beige Sizes 7-12 New
- Kenneth Cole New York Men's Leather Flip Flop Sandals Brown Izzo Size 12 $89
- Keen Men's Venice US 14 M Shadow Grey Leather Waterproof Sport Sandals $105.00
- Bogs Men's Dylan Sandal, Black/Multi, Size 8.0
- NEW SKECHERS LARSON BERTO BROWN LEATHER SLIP-ON SHOE/MEMORY FOAM 64897-DKBR $80
- HIGHLANDER GRESLEY WELLINGTON HUNTING FISHING EQUESTRIAN OUTDOORS
- MAGNUM STEALTH FORCE 8.0 MEN'S WPI Work BOOTS SIZE 15, BLACK
- American Flags Leather Biker Western Boot Straps W Chain Buckle Women's Men PAIR
- Polo Ralph Lauren Rumford Boots Suede Moc Hiking Lug Sole Brown Mens Size 8D
- NEW Skechers Men's Revine 72051 BBK NORTH SUMMIT WATERPROOF INSULATED BOOTS
- Ecco Mens Casual Suede Shoes Sneakers Size 42 US Black Gray
- Black Mens Pointy Toe Slip On Rivets Patent Leather Brogue Nightclub Shoes Sz
- Baldinini Black Leather Moccasins Slip on Shoes Sz. 11 (44)
- adidas Adilette CF Plus Women's Black/White AP9966
- Burberry Black Cadey Wrap Around Strap 37/7 Boots/Booties Size US 7 Regular (M, B)
- Christian Louboutin Grey Ishtar Botta 120 Boots/Booties Size US 6.5 Regular (M, B)
- Jessica Simpson Black Charie Pointed-toe Dress 867 / 39 E Pumps Size US 9 Regular (M, B)
- 749571 414 NIKE CLASSIC CORTEZ LEATHER NAVY WHITE MEN SNEAKERS SIZE 7.5
- NEW Nike Men's Air Max 93 Athletic Shoe Size 11 NIB
- NIKE AIR FORCE 1 PREMIUM SHOES MENS 10.5 WATERMELON KIWI 312945-631
- Nike Air Max 95 Black Womens Leather Mesh Low-top Sneakers Trainers
- Grey Men's Sandals Sport Slides Slip On Beach Slippers House Shoes Footwear New
- PAOLA FERRI ZOLA BROWN SUEDE LEATHER WEDGE HEELS CHUKKA BOOTS 38 / 7.5 NEW
- Nike Nike Roshe Run Midnight Navy / Dark Obsdn 511881-445 Mens Running Sneakers
- Nike Free RN Flyknit Men's Running Shoes Photo Blue/Black 831069-401
- Old Friend Sheepskin Women's Boot brown size 10
- Ladies Rieker Style 93756 Knee High Long Winter Boots
- Gameday Boots NCAA Tarleton State Texans Women's 13-Inch
- Crocs Citilane Roka Graphic SlipOn Shoes Black/Floral Women's 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
- MIU MIU MADE IN TALY LEATHER SNEAKERS CASUAL WOMENS SHOES SIZE 7
- Man/Woman ALL BLACK Women's Lightning Ballet Flat Various goods Used in durability Suitable for color
- TORY BURCH CHANDRA SOFT BLACK SUEDE LOAFER SHOES SIZE 8.5 (TACO700)
- Vaneli Ganet Flats - Women's Size 9.5W - Black
- Vtg 90s Rare Reebok Classic Leather White Gold Athletic Sneakers Size 9.5 NWOB
- Adidas ZX Flux White Oilve Green Camo Juniors Womens Girls Boys Trainers CG3246
- Gentleman/Lady New Balance Fuelcell Women's White/Grey FLCLWGD Crazy price Known for its good quality Simple
- adidas PureBoost Go Women's White/Crystal White/Grey B75664
- NEW Skechers Felton Women’s Black Slip Resistant Work & Uniform Shoes US 8 B068
- Adidas Yeezy 500 Super Yellow Moon Supermoon DB2966 SZ 9.5
- Sperry Top Sider Boat Shoes Size 9 Loafers Mens Denim
- Mens Slip On Spikes Snakeleather Casual Driving Shoes Breathable Loafers New
- New Men's Sandrino By Bandro Moscoloni Black Leather Casual Shoes Size: 9
- Bass Premium Propel Wingtip Boot Brown Men’s 12
- Ladies Spot On Heeled Ankle Boots with Perspex Heel 50686
- Converse Chuck Taylor Knee X Hi Boots in Black 111515-974 
- JUSTIN Roper Granny Grunge Boots Size 6 B Women's
- Blowfish Arielle Womens Black Relax PU Knee High Heel Boots size 6
- Gentlemen/Ladies Ash Women's Combat Boots Clever and practical Settlement Price The first batch of customers' comprehensive specifications
- Twisted Boots Men's Driving Moccasin D Toe #MDM0003 Boot TW4 Bomber Size 10.5W
- Drew Arlington - Black Mens Casual Shoes - 40864 Black - 9.5 4w
- Hogan Shoes Sneaker % Olympia Leather Made Italy Man Blues HXM0520G750-FKF780F
- TEVA Hurricane Size 11 Mens Sport Sandals 6584 Shoes Aztec Black Gray
- Eastland Women's Khaki Suede Falmouth Camp Mocs Khaki 8.5 M
- men's Brooks ravenna 6 athletic running walking shoes size 14
- MEN'S CONVERSE ALL STAR BROWN TAN PLAID CANVAS HIGH TOP SNEAKERS SIZE 13
- CATERPILLAR Mens 8'' Vibram Thermostatic Arctic Grip Pro Comp Toe Black 12W
- Nocona Burgundy Cherry Leather Cowboy Western Boots Mens Size 10 D Style NB2002
- New 1990s JUSTIN Vintage 3037 Wine Spanish Kipskin Western Roper Boots 9 B
- Daniele Ferradini Black Leather Zip Ankle Boots Mens Size 9 W Style 1507
- Men's Craftsman Kujo Nubuck Leather Soft Toe Work Boot Slip Resistant (Size:11M)
- Charles Jourdan Men’s Boots - 10.5 - New
- Men's multi-colored printed pointed toe slip on loafers shoes driving low top
- Fashion Sport Men's Shoes ONITSUKA TIGER Stylish Leather FREE SHIP EORLDWIDE
- PUMA WN SUEDE BOW PATENT - NOIR CHAUSSURES ADULTES NEUF
[Editor’s Note: In Part I of this series, Dr. Nick Marsella addressed the duty we have to examine our assumptions about emergent warfighting technologies / capabilities and their associated implications to identify potential second / third order and “evil” effects. Man/Woman Ellie Women's Carrie-423 Clever and practical Excellent performance Acknowledgement feedbackMen's/Women's Adidas Iniki Boost Runner (Women); BB0001 Many styles High quality and economy List of explosions In today’s post, he prescribes five actions we can embrace both individually and as organizations to avoid confirmation bias and falling into cognitive thinking traps when confronting the ramifications of emergent technologies — Enjoy!]
In part I of my blog post, I advised those advocating for the development and/or fielding of technology to be mindful of the second/third order and possible “evil” effects. I defined “evil” as an unexpected and profound negative implication(s) of the adoption/adaption of a technology and related policy. I also recommended heeding the admonition of Tim Cook, Apple’s CEO, to take responsibility for our technological creations and have the courage to think things through their potential implications – both for the good and the bad.
But even if we as individuals are willing to challenge our assumptions and think broadly and imaginatively, we can still come up short. Why? The answer is due in part to the challenges of prediction and the fact we are human with both great cognitive abilities, but also weaknesses.
First, common sense and many theorists remind us that the future is unknowable.STEVE MADDEN JAACKSON WHITE MULTI HIGH-TOP SNEAKERS SIZE 10Ryka Women's Namaste Sneaker, Blue/Blue, 8 M USThe futurist Arthur C. Clark noted in 1962, “It is impossible to predict the future, and all attempts to do in any detail appear ludicrous within a very few years.” Within this fixed condition of unknowing, the U.S. Departments of Defense and the Army must make choices to determine:
– what capabilities we desire and its related technology;
– where to invest in research and development; and
As Michael E. Raynor pointed out in his book, RYKA Womens Hydrosphere Cross Trainer- Hot Pink Size 7, making choices and developing strategies, which include adopting new technology, where the future is unknowable and “deeply unpredictable” either produces monumental successes or monumental failures.STEVE MADDEN JAACKSON BLACK MULTI HIGH-TOP SNEAKERS SIZE 9KEEN Womens Terradora Wp Astral Aura/Liberty Hiking Shoes Size 7.5 (38255) For a company this can spell financial ruin, while for the Army, it can spell disaster and the loss of Soldiers’ lives and national treasure. Yet, we must also choose a “way ahead” – often by considering “boundaries” – in a sense the left and right limits – of potential implications.
Second, our ability to predict when technology will become available is often in error nor can we accurately determine its implications. For example, in a New York Times editorial on December 8, 1903, it noted: “A man carrying airplane will eventually be built, Rockport Marta Sneaker, Women's Size 9 XW, WhiteNear Mint Brooks Adrenaline GTS 15 Womens 7 Medium width Purple Orangebut only if mathematicians and engineers work steadily for the next ten million years.”5 The Wright Brothers first flight took place the following week, but it took decades for commercial and military aviation to evolve.
Each of the services has faced force modernization challenges due to the adoption of technologies that weren’t mature enough; whose capabilities were over-promised; or did not support operations in the envisioned Operational Environment. For the U.S. Army, Future Combat Systems (FCS) was the most obvious and recent example of this challenge – costing billions of dollars and, just as importantly, lost time and confidence.STEVE MADDEN JAACKSON BLACK MULTI HIGH-TOP SNEAKERS SIZE 7Easy Spirit Women's Everyday Walking Shoe Taupe 6 M US
Third, in terms of future technology, predictions vary widely. For example, predictions by MIT’s Rodney Brooks and futurist/inventor Ray Kurzweil vary widely to the question – “What year do you think human-level Artificial Intelligence [AI, i.e., a true thinking machine] might be achieved with a 50% probability?” Kurzweil predicts AI (as defined) will be available in 2029, while Brooks is a bit more conservative – the year 2200 – a difference of over 170 years.Nike Wmns Pegasus 33 Womens Zoom Air Running Shoes NWOB Pick 1Nike Air Max Wright WM LE White/White-Metallic Silver 378178-100 Women's SZ 6
While one can understand the difficulty of predicting when “general AI” will be available, other technologies offer similar difficulties. The vision of the “self-driving” autonomous vehicle was first written about and experimented with in the 1920s, yet technological limitations, legal concerns, customer fears, and other barriers make implementing this capability challenging.
Lastly, as Rodney Brooks has highlighted, Bandolino Women's Fadri Ballet Flat Black Leather maintains:
“we tend to overestimate the effect of a technology in the short run and underestimate the effect in the long run.”Women's Shoes Skechers SN 21139 Black Suede Leather Verified Slip On 8M US 38 EU
SECOND, THIRD ORDER AND EVIL EFFECTS
– intentionally focus on the positive effects of adopting a technology;
– ignore the experts and those who identify the potential downside of technology; and
– fail to think thorough the short, long, and potentially dangerous effects or dependencies – imaginatively.
We do this because we are human, and more often because we fall into the confirmation bias or other cognitive thinking traps that might affect our program or pet technology. As noted by RAND in Truth Decay:Diadora Game Wide Summer - Grey - WomensPuma PROWL ALT MESH Black Running Yoga - Womens - Size 8.5 B
“Cognitive biases and the ways in which human beings process information and make decisions cause people to look for information, opinion, and analyses that confirm preexisting beliefs, to weigh experience more heavily than data and facts, and then to rely on mental shortcuts and the beliefs of those in the same social networks when forming opinions and making decisions.”9
Yet, the warning signs or signals for many unanticipated effects can be found simply by conducting a literature review of government, think tank, academic, and popular reports (to perhaps include science fiction). This may deter some, given the sheer volume of literature is often overwhelming, but contained within these reports are many of the challenges associated with future technology, such as: the potential for deep fakes, loss of privacy, hacking,NEW! Authentic PUMA Basket Red Heart DE Women's Sneakers 10Gentlemen/Ladies Reebok Hayasu Fitness Women's Shoes for you to choose Latest styles Authentic guarantee accidents, deception, and loss of industries/jobs.
At the national level, both the current and previous administrations published reports on AI, as has the Department of Defense – some more balanced in addressing of issues of fairness, safety, governance, and ethics.10
For example, using photo recognition to help law enforcement and others seems like a great idea, yet its use is increasingly being questioned. This past May, San Francisco became the first city to ban its use, and others may follow suit.11 While some question this decision to ban vice impose a moratorium until the technology produces less errors, the question remains – did the developers and policy makers consider if there would be push back to its introduction given its current performance?Skechers Women's Hi-lite Fashion Sneaker, - Choose SZ/ColorNew Women Vans Authentic Black Skateboarding Shoes Classic Canvas size US 10 What sources did they consult?
Another challenge is language. You’ve seen the commercials – “there is much we can do with AI” – in farming, business, and even beer making. While “AI” is a clever tag line, it may invoke unnecessary fear and misunderstanding. For example, I believe for most people equate “robotics” and “AI” with the “Terminator” franchise, raising the fear of uncontrolled autonomous military force overwhelming humanity. Even worse – under the moniker of “AI,” we will buy into “snake-oil” propositions.
We are at least decades away from “general AI” where a “system exhibits apparently intelligence behavior at least as advanced as a person” across the “full range of cognitive tasks,” but we continue to flaunt the use of “AI” without elaboration.PUMA Suede Classic Women US 8.5 Gray SneakersCapezio Women's Jr. FTlight T-Strap Dance Shoe - Choose SZ/Color
SOME ACTIONS TO TAKE
Embrace a learning organization. Popularized by Peter Senge’s The Fifth Discipline: The Art and Practice of the Learning Organization (1990), a learning organization is a place “where people continually expand their capacity to create the results they truly desire, where new and expansive patterns of thinking are nurtured, where collective aspiration is set free, and where people are continually learning how to learn together.”Skechers Women's Darma - Perforated Leather Sneaker, - Choose SZ/Color While some question whether we can truly make a learning organization, Senge’s thinking may help solve our problem of identifying 2nd/3rd order and evil effects.
First, we must embrace new and expansive patterns of thinking. Force developers use the acronym – “DOTMPLF-P” as shorthand for Doctrine, Organization, Training, Materiel, Personnel, Leadership, Facilities, and Policy implications – yet other factors might be as important.
For example, trust in automated or robotics systems must be instilled and measured. In one poll, 73% of respondents noted they would be afraid of riding in a fully autonomous vehicle – up 10% points from the previous year.14 What if we develop a military autonomous vehicle or a leader-follower system and one or more of our host nation allies prohibits its use? What happens if an accident occurs and the host population protests, Reef Women's Girls Walled Low Fashion Sneaker - Choose SZ/ColorSkechers Women's Go Walk 4-Brisk Shoe - Choose SZ/Colorarguing that the Americans don’t care for their safety?
Technologists and concept developers must move from being stove-piped in labs and single-focused to consider the broader view of technological implications across functions.
Embrace Humility. Given that we cannot predict the future and its potential consequences, developers must seek out diversified opinions, and more importantly, recognize divergent opinions.
Embrace the Data. In New York City during World War II, a small organization of some of the most brilliant minds in America worked in the office of the “Applied Mathematics Panel.” In Europe, the 8th U.S. Air Force suffered from devastating bomber losses. Skechers Performance Womens Go Step Lite-Innovate Sneaker- Select SZ/Color.Skechers Women's Go Flex Max Loafer - Choose SZ/ColorLeaders wondered where best to reinforce the bombers with additional armor without significantly increasing their weight to improve survivability. Reports indicated returning bombers suffered gunfire hits over the wings and fuselage, but not in the tail or cockpits, so to the casual observer it made sense to reinforce the wings and fuselage where the damage was clearly visible.
Abraham Wald, a mathematician, worked on the problem. He noted that reinforcing the spots where damage was evident in returning aircraft wasn’t necessarily the best course of action, given that hits to the cockpit and tail were probably causing aircraft (and aircrew) losses during the mission. In a series of memorandums, he developed a “method of estimating plane vulnerability based on damage of survivors.” As Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s Sherlock Holmes noted more than 100 years ago, “It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”Skechers Performance Womens GO Walk Evolution Ultra Sneaker- Select SZ/Color.New VANS Womens VINTAGE MILITARY Toecap Slip on 138 ORANGE US W 5.5 - 10.5 TAKSE
Additionally, we need to reinforce our practice of performing quality literature reviews to aid in our identification of these issues.
Employ Skepticism and a Devil’s Advocate Approach. In 1587, the Roman Catholic Church created the position of Promoter of the Faith – commonly referred to as the Devil’s Advocate. To insure a candidate for sainthood met the qualification of being canonized, the role of the Devil’s Advocate was to be the skeptic (loyal to the institution), looking for reasons why not to canonize the individual. Similarly, Leaders must embrace the concept of employing a devil’s advocate approach to identifying 2nd/3rd order and evil effects of technology – if not designating a devil’s advocate with the right expertise to identify assumptions, risks, and effects. But creating any devil’s advocate or “risk identification” positions is only useful if their input is seriously considered.
Embrace the Suck. Lastly, if we are serious in identifying the 2nd/3rd order and evil effects, NIKE AIR SEQUENT WOMENS RUNNING SHOES 719916-013 NEW SIZE 9.5Easy Spirit Gemela Slip On Sneakers Womens Athletic Casual Shoesto include identifying new dependencies, ethical issues, or other issues which challenge the adaption or development of a new technology or policy – then we must be honest, resilient, and tough. There will be setbacks, delays, and frustration.
Technology holds the power to improve and change our personal and professional lives. For the military, technology changes the ways wars are fought (i.e., the character of war), but it may also change the nature of war by potentially reducing the “human dimension” in war. If robotics, AI, and other technological developments eliminate “danger, physical exertion, intelligence and friction,”17 is war easier to wage? Will technology increase its potential frequency? Will technology create a further separation between the military and the population by decreasing the number of personnel needed? These may be some of the 2nd/3rd order and “evil” effects we need to consider.
If you enjoyed this post, please see Dr. Marsella’s previous post “Second/Third Order, and Evil Effects” – The Dark Side of Technology (ASICS GT-2000 5 Trail Runner Womens Size 7 M Aluminum Silver Orchid Athletic)
– Womens Shoes Real Leather Breathable Fashion Sneakers Wedge Oxfords Ankle Boots, by Dr. Nir Buras