- Steve Madden Women's Nytroo Chelsea Bootie 11M
- Diesel women's boots size 39 made in Italy RRP 130USD
- Women's Jambu Denali - Brown - Width: med - Boots
- Women's Suede Fue Trim Furry Ankle Boots Stylish Casual Winter Warm Preppy Shoes
- Invicta Mens Vintage Quartz Stainless Steel Casual Watch, Color:Gold-Toned
- Puma Mens B.O.G LIMITLESS LO EVOKNIT S 363669-03 MSRP: $130
- POLO RALPH LAUREN - CLARKE - Men's Sport Suede Fashion Sneakers - Tan -Size 11 M
- KEEN Men's Size 10.5 Casual Hiking Waterproof Brown Leather Sandals #B784
- NIB Ted Baker London Oleshky Pointy Toe Flat Shoe Leather Black Metallic Sz 9.5M
- Rockport Mens - Beige Walking Shoes Size 10 (2E) (400256)
- Converse All star mens / womens shoes in good condition style 1V300
- NWOT Men’s Kamik Nation Plus Size 9 Snow Winter Pac Boots, Thinsulate
- Mens Military Knight Knee High Boots Buckle Zipper Side Combat Motorcycle Shoes
- Merrell J35791 Men Espresso Moab FST Ice+ Thermo Hiking Boot Shoes sz 11.5
- Polo by Ralph Lauren Polo Duck Boots Size 12 D
- Harley Davidson Mens El Paso Black Motorcycle Riding Boots D94422 Size 8
- Durango Men's Brown Leather Slouch Western Boots Style SW542 Size 8D
- Kingston McKnight Men Shoes Size 12 M Black Style KM2400 Oil & Slip Resistant
- Christian Louboutin Black & Silver Cataclou Espadrille Wedges Size US 7 Regular (M, B)
- KEEN Utility Men's Boulder Low Work Shoe Raven/Burnt Ochre Leather
- [Q16542] MENS ADIDAS SPEED TRAINER 3.0
- ALAÏA Black New Studded Suede 4.5 Inches/110mm Sandals Size US 10 Regular (M, B)
- Ralph Lauren Neutral Leather Reptile Design 9.00 M Excellent Condition Sandals Size US 8.5 Regular (M, B)
- NIKE AIR JORDAN 1 RETRO POLKA DOTS 136065-031
- Nike Men's Air Epic Speed TR, DARK GREY/WHITE-ELECTRIC GREEN, 9 M US
- Adidas Originals Navy Blue Gazelle Trainers BB5478 - Size Sneakers
- Nike Air Max Vision GS Kids Youth Womens Running Shoes Athletic Sneakers Pick 1
- Nike Free RN 2017 Gym Blue/Glacier Blue 880840-401 Women's SZ 6
- Women Motocycle Over Knee High Boots Shiny Patent Leather High Heels Party Shoes
- Vnds Men's Nike JORDAN XX9 Basketball Easter Green Spark Retro 695515 403 Sz 10
- Nike Air More Uptempo Flax size 10.5
- Dr. Scholl's Shoes Women's Addition Ankle Boot, Black Microfiber, 8 M US
- Taryn Rose Abbott Waterproof Leather Tall Boot, 5.5, Black
- Women Pointed Toe Bow Sandals Casual Flat Heels Slip On Pumps Shoes Pull On Work
- Fitflop Ballerina Blue Green Patent Leather Wedge Slip On Ballet Flats Due 41.5
- NEW Anthropologie Huma Blanco Eleonora Loafers Flats Size 36 Purple Suede
- Man/Woman Drew Women's Andi Sandals Excellent value a wide range of products value
- Joie Women's Metallic Dakota White Leather Sneaker Size 6 ()
- Arche 7441 LAIUS Sand Suede Ballerina Flats Woman's Size US 6
- Saucony Ride 8 Running Women's Shoes Size 10.5
- NIKE WOMEN AIR MAX 1 QS FLORAL BLACK-SILT RED-WHITE SZ 10.5 [633737-003]
- Gentlemen/Ladies Mephisto Women's Helen Sandal Multi Queenie Many styles Modern design Excellent function
- Merrell Women's Single Strap Round Toe Mary Janes Shoes Size 9.5 Euro 40.5 Brown
- SAS SAN ANTONIO SHOEMAKERS COMFORT SHOES SIMPLIFY Suntimer Pearl Bone SIZE 10 M
- Skechers Sport Mens 51361EW Equalizer Persistent 7.5- Choose SZ/Color.
- Calzoleria Toscana 2586 Brown Leather Oxford Shoes Size 40 / 8 US
- Hush Puppies Stream Arrowood Slip On Shoes - Men's Size 8M - Dark Taupe/Brown
- Fumagalli Brown Suede Mens Casual Loafers Shoes Size Right 8.5 Left 9 @ cLOSeT
- Men's Size 8.5 M Bass Deville Black Leather Casual Comfortable Oxford Shoes 1252
- Womens LUCKY BRAND Pewter Leather Ankle Boots Double Side Zip Size 6.5M
- Totes Womens Lisa Round Toe Ankle Cold Weather Boots, Black, Size 6.0
- Black 1.5" Low Block Heel Faux Leather Sexy Knee Boot Side Buckles Size 5
- BORN Womens Sz 6.5 Beige Leather Suede YKK Zipper Boots EUC No Wear
- LdiR Original Indianini handmade Italy Stud Boots,Size 9,genuine leather, blue
- Unlisted by Kenneth Cole Men's South Side Monk Strap Loafers
- New Men Metal Dress Casual Wedding Loafer Oxford Slip on Shoe Punk Real Leather
- Men Fashion Flip Flops AIR BALANCE Stylish Thongs Casual Sandals for Him, Size 9
- Muryobao Flip Flops for Men The Best Non Slip Summer Beach Big Man Slippers Size
- ISLAND SLIPPER Men's Shoes 721883 White 9
- Mens Athletic shoes Outdoor Casual Sport Trainers Sneakers Running Breathable
- Brooks Racer ST Mens Running Shoes US 9 M White Red Athletic Training
- British Mens Leather low Block Pointy toe zipper Ankle Boots Business Shoes Chic
- Men's/Women's BROGUE-02 Comfortable feeling Various types and styles Strong heat and heat resistance
- NEW O'Neal Pit Boot Size 5 Low Boots Rust Color Leather Work Boots
- Men Oxfords Leather Shoes Boots Business Casual Dress Formal High Top ankle Boot
- COLE HAAN MAN BOOTS CHUKKA BLACK SUEDE 11 M EXCELLENT CONDITION
- Skechers 64114 USA Mens Expected Gembel Oxford- Choose SZ/Color.
- Frye Mens FRYE Slip-On Loafer- Pick SZ/Color.
- Zara Man Mesh Leather Hi Top Fashion Sneakers - Sz. 41 (US 8 - 8.5) - RARE!!
- SCHUTZ Enida Oyster Nude Nubuck Two Peice High Heel Pump Ankle Strap Sandal
- Giuseppe Zanotti White Gold Sneakers Size US 10 Regular (M, B)
- Valentino Black Reserved For Lynda Rockstud Heels Eu36.5 Pumps Size US 6.5 Regular (M, B)
- Valentino Heavenly Garavani Leather Sandals Size EU 39.5 (Approx. US 9.5) Regular (M, B)
- Nike SB Dunk High Lumberjack Denim & Plaid Flannel Slate Sneakers Shoes 12
- Men's Nike Jordan Formula 23 Toggle Shoes NEW Green/Black MSRP $125
- Adidas Originals Flashback Tactile Rose Pearl Grey Gum Women Shoes Size 10
- Nike Air Presto Jacquard PRM Joan Benoit Women's 885020 001 Sz 11
- Womens Pointed Toe Rivet knight Ankle Boots Party Casual Stiletto Heel Shoes US
- Winter Leisure Womens Faux Suede Stitching Ankle Boots Mid Heel Zipper Shoes
- Nike Lebron XIII Elite LB 13 876805-299 Linen White NEW in box DS Tan Cavs James
- Nike Shoes - 2009 Jordan 7 VII Orlando Magic - White Blue DMP Pack - Size 12.5
- Men's/Women's Rbls Women's Lorena Combat Boot superior special promotion Known for its excellent quality
- FLY London Leather Ankle Boots Hota Brick Women's Booties US 5-5.5 Damaged Box
- Sperry Top-Sider Women's Dronsfield Chelsea Boot, Rose Dust, 11 Medium US
- Womens Havaianas Top Rubber Casual Beach Shoes Thongs Brazil Flip Flops US 4-11
- Retro Vogue ethnic style Womens Casual Leather Lolita Ankle Strap Flats Shoes
- Men's/Women's Eastland Debora - Bone - Womens Adequate supply and timely delivery the most economical various kinds
- Cole Haan Women's Pinch Weekender LX HURARCHE Penny Loafer, British TAN Leather,
- NIB Vince Ames Platform Leather Loafer Black Size 7 $395
- Propet Women's Eden Walking Shoe,Black,5.5 M US
- Pleaser Women's Delight 2023 Black Stretch PU/Black
- WMNS NIKE AIR MAX 95 WM ANTHRACITE-CHERRY PINK-GREY SZ 6.5 [336620-020]
- WOMEN'S ROCKPORT KINETIC AIR Black Leather SLip On Loafers Size 9 M
- Dansko Annie Floral Emboss Black 7401-360200 Slip Resistant Box 9.5-10 US
- NEW BALLY ORIVEL CHOCOLATE AW11 BOVINE SUEDE SHOE MEN SIZE US 7 D, E,
- Mens Dockers Slip On Leather Shoes Brown Size 11 Loafers Mocs Casual
- Cole Haan Men's Oxblood Leather Oxfords Shoes Plain Toe Rubber Sole 13M
- Mens Leather Slippers Loafers Slip on Flats With Bowtie Belgian Dress Shoes C9h
- Converse Kids Chuck Taylor All Star Hi - Kids
- Coco L8631 Ladies Ankle Boots Available in 4 Colours SALE
- Topshop Silver Metallic Krazy Snakeskin Low Funky Point Ankle Chelsea Booties 39
- Club Womens Trendy Warm Slouch Slim Over Knee Boots Pull on Sexy Pointy Toe Pump
- Pause Chelsea Boot Plaid Wingtip Made In Italy Womens Size 38 US 7.5-8
- Ariat Western Cowgirl Women Caramel and Bluie lether Boots 7C
- DIADORA MAN CASUAL SNEAKER SHOES CODE B.ELITE WNT BRIGHT 501.170954 WITHOUT BOX
- VISVIM Hockney Bear Foot-Folk Dk Brown US11 (29cm) UWBT 2009 100% Authentic FBT
- Gentlemen/Ladies JORDAN FLTCLB '91 Mens sneakers 555475-107 bargain Lush design Different goods
- Roma Mens stylish cross strap ankle buckle sandals thong shoes outdoor Casual Sz
- Gentleman/Lady Flat Nine West Shaloo White/Black Synthetic Fashion pattern Make full use of materials Selling new products
- 2015 Mens Adidas Tubular X Red/White Basketball Shoes! Size 13
- NIKE Racer Blue/White FORCE ZOOM MIKE TROUT 3 METAL BASEBALL CLEATS Shoes 11.5
- Fashion Men's Casual Shoes Retro Fur Linning Snow Boots British Military Shoes
- CATERPILLAR CAT Men's 8'' Generator Steel Toe Steel Plate Work Boots Black 10.5W
- KOS Signature Classic Australian Boot-Mens Size 11-Black-Pre Owned
- Dakota 8'' Quad Comfort ATCP Men's Dark Brown 12W
- Mens Fashion Black Knee High Boots Side Zip Military Combat Riding Chic Shoes
- Craftsman 84510 Rob Boots Size 13 - NWOT
- Stacy Adams Mens Jace, Brown, Size 13.0
- Brand New HYSTERIC GLAMOUR Mens Canvas Shoes Sneakers 100%AUTH Rare 9US
- Fenty Puma by Rihanna Women Leadcat Slides white 362266-02
[Editor’s Note: In Part I of this series, Dr. Nick Marsella addressed the duty we have to examine our assumptions about emergent warfighting technologies / capabilities and their associated implications to identify potential second / third order and “evil” effects. Converse X Mara Hoffman Chuck Taylor All Star Sneaker 158251C Womens Size 7Gentlemen/Ladies NIKE Lunarsolo Womens Running Shoes Beautiful design First grade in its class negotiation In today’s post, he prescribes five actions we can embrace both individually and as organizations to avoid confirmation bias and falling into cognitive thinking traps when confronting the ramifications of emergent technologies — Enjoy!]
In part I of my blog post, I advised those advocating for the development and/or fielding of technology to be mindful of the second/third order and possible “evil” effects. I defined “evil” as an unexpected and profound negative implication(s) of the adoption/adaption of a technology and related policy. I also recommended heeding the admonition of Tim Cook, Apple’s CEO, to take responsibility for our technological creations and have the courage to think things through their potential implications – both for the good and the bad.
But even if we as individuals are willing to challenge our assumptions and think broadly and imaginatively, we can still come up short. Why? The answer is due in part to the challenges of prediction and the fact we are human with both great cognitive abilities, but also weaknesses.
First, common sense and many theorists remind us that the future is unknowable.KEEN Womens Black/Star White Fashion Sneaker Size 9.5 (34769)Reebook "Elle" Women's Light Gray Sneakers Size US 7The futurist Arthur C. Clark noted in 1962, “It is impossible to predict the future, and all attempts to do in any detail appear ludicrous within a very few years.” Within this fixed condition of unknowing, the U.S. Departments of Defense and the Army must make choices to determine:
– what capabilities we desire and its related technology;
– where to invest in research and development; and
As Michael E. Raynor pointed out in his book, Ecco 235643.53859 Dayla Toggle Black Women's Casual Shoes Size 8 - 8.5 US 39, making choices and developing strategies, which include adopting new technology, where the future is unknowable and “deeply unpredictable” either produces monumental successes or monumental failures.Easy Spirit Women's Takeit Mule Light Grey/Light Grey Fabric 11 M USSkechers Sport Women's Elasticity Fitness Boot Brown 11812 Size 6.5 For a company this can spell financial ruin, while for the Army, it can spell disaster and the loss of Soldiers’ lives and national treasure. Yet, we must also choose a “way ahead” – often by considering “boundaries” – in a sense the left and right limits – of potential implications.
Second, our ability to predict when technology will become available is often in error nor can we accurately determine its implications. For example, in a New York Times editorial on December 8, 1903, it noted: “A man carrying airplane will eventually be built, NWOB Women's Vans Unisex Sk8-Hi (Canvas) Frost Gray VN000TS9L50 Size us 7.5-MK-Swiss Women's Modern High P Sneaker, Beaujolais/Off White, 7.5 M USbut only if mathematicians and engineers work steadily for the next ten million years.”5 The Wright Brothers first flight took place the following week, but it took decades for commercial and military aviation to evolve.
Each of the services has faced force modernization challenges due to the adoption of technologies that weren’t mature enough; whose capabilities were over-promised; or did not support operations in the envisioned Operational Environment. For the U.S. Army, Future Combat Systems (FCS) was the most obvious and recent example of this challenge – costing billions of dollars and, just as importantly, lost time and confidence.Nike Wmns Air Max Zero PRM / SI / QS Womens Running Shoes NSW Sneakers Pick 1New Balance Womens 7 WCSTRLN4 Running Sneakers Shoes Sneakers Burgundy Red
Third, in terms of future technology, predictions vary widely. For example, predictions by MIT’s Rodney Brooks and futurist/inventor Ray Kurzweil vary widely to the question – “What year do you think human-level Artificial Intelligence [AI, i.e., a true thinking machine] might be achieved with a 50% probability?” Kurzweil predicts AI (as defined) will be available in 2029, while Brooks is a bit more conservative – the year 2200 – a difference of over 170 years.New Balance Women's 993 Size 6D Shoes WR993BK Sneakers USA walking runningPropét Womens olivia Low Top Bungee Fashion Sneakers, Taupe, Size 10.5
While one can understand the difficulty of predicting when “general AI” will be available, other technologies offer similar difficulties. The vision of the “self-driving” autonomous vehicle was first written about and experimented with in the 1920s, yet technological limitations, legal concerns, customer fears, and other barriers make implementing this capability challenging.
Lastly, as Rodney Brooks has highlighted, NEW Converse Chuck Taylor All Star Shroud Hi Tops Zebra Black White Size 5 Women maintains:
“we tend to overestimate the effect of a technology in the short run and underestimate the effect in the long run.”Man/Woman Women's Vince Bale Leather Sneakers 8 Modern and elegant fashion special promotion Sales online store
SECOND, THIRD ORDER AND EVIL EFFECTS
– intentionally focus on the positive effects of adopting a technology;
– ignore the experts and those who identify the potential downside of technology; and
– fail to think thorough the short, long, and potentially dangerous effects or dependencies – imaginatively.
We do this because we are human, and more often because we fall into the confirmation bias or other cognitive thinking traps that might affect our program or pet technology. As noted by RAND in Truth Decay:Pacific Trail Alta Hiking Boots Women's ShoesASICS Women's GEL-Flux 5 Running Training Athletic Shoes Size 7.5 New In Box
“Cognitive biases and the ways in which human beings process information and make decisions cause people to look for information, opinion, and analyses that confirm preexisting beliefs, to weigh experience more heavily than data and facts, and then to rely on mental shortcuts and the beliefs of those in the same social networks when forming opinions and making decisions.”9
Yet, the warning signs or signals for many unanticipated effects can be found simply by conducting a literature review of government, think tank, academic, and popular reports (to perhaps include science fiction). This may deter some, given the sheer volume of literature is often overwhelming, but contained within these reports are many of the challenges associated with future technology, such as: the potential for deep fakes, loss of privacy, hacking,PUMA Women's Vikky Platform RG - Choose SZ/ColorPuma Enzo Strap Knit 19003203 Dark Purple Mesh Casual Shoes Medium (B,M) Women accidents, deception, and loss of industries/jobs.
At the national level, both the current and previous administrations published reports on AI, as has the Department of Defense – some more balanced in addressing of issues of fairness, safety, governance, and ethics.10
For example, using photo recognition to help law enforcement and others seems like a great idea, yet its use is increasingly being questioned. This past May, San Francisco became the first city to ban its use, and others may follow suit.11 While some question this decision to ban vice impose a moratorium until the technology produces less errors, the question remains – did the developers and policy makers consider if there would be push back to its introduction given its current performance?New Under Armour 1298675 962 Velociti Apollo Gray Women's Running Shoes 7 USSaucony Women's Bullet Capri - Choose SZ/Color What sources did they consult?
Another challenge is language. You’ve seen the commercials – “there is much we can do with AI” – in farming, business, and even beer making. While “AI” is a clever tag line, it may invoke unnecessary fear and misunderstanding. For example, I believe for most people equate “robotics” and “AI” with the “Terminator” franchise, raising the fear of uncontrolled autonomous military force overwhelming humanity. Even worse – under the moniker of “AI,” we will buy into “snake-oil” propositions.
We are at least decades away from “general AI” where a “system exhibits apparently intelligence behavior at least as advanced as a person” across the “full range of cognitive tasks,” but we continue to flaunt the use of “AI” without elaboration.Womens Nike Lunarglide+ 3 White Laser Pink Pure Platinum Turquoise 454315-160Man/Woman RYKA Women's Grafik Cross-Trainer Shoe durable Excellent performance negotiation
SOME ACTIONS TO TAKE
Embrace a learning organization. Popularized by Peter Senge’s The Fifth Discipline: The Art and Practice of the Learning Organization (1990), a learning organization is a place “where people continually expand their capacity to create the results they truly desire, where new and expansive patterns of thinking are nurtured, where collective aspiration is set free, and where people are continually learning how to learn together.”New Balance Women's WT510RS3 Trail Running Shoes - Choose SZ/Color While some question whether we can truly make a learning organization, Senge’s thinking may help solve our problem of identifying 2nd/3rd order and evil effects.
First, we must embrace new and expansive patterns of thinking. Force developers use the acronym – “DOTMPLF-P” as shorthand for Doctrine, Organization, Training, Materiel, Personnel, Leadership, Facilities, and Policy implications – yet other factors might be as important.
For example, trust in automated or robotics systems must be instilled and measured. In one poll, 73% of respondents noted they would be afraid of riding in a fully autonomous vehicle – up 10% points from the previous year.14 What if we develop a military autonomous vehicle or a leader-follower system and one or more of our host nation allies prohibits its use? What happens if an accident occurs and the host population protests, Adidas Lite Racer Women's Running Shoes AW3837Women Round Toe Slip On Casual Platform Creeper Beads Black Sneaker Shoes D685arguing that the Americans don’t care for their safety?
Technologists and concept developers must move from being stove-piped in labs and single-focused to consider the broader view of technological implications across functions.
Embrace Humility. Given that we cannot predict the future and its potential consequences, developers must seek out diversified opinions, and more importantly, recognize divergent opinions.
Embrace the Data. In New York City during World War II, a small organization of some of the most brilliant minds in America worked in the office of the “Applied Mathematics Panel.” In Europe, the 8th U.S. Air Force suffered from devastating bomber losses. Gentle Souls Carole Blush Pink Velvet High Top Sneakers Shoes Zipper Sz 7.5 NEWWomen Nike Air Max Thea Running Shoes Size 6.5 - 10 Black White 599409 020Leaders wondered where best to reinforce the bombers with additional armor without significantly increasing their weight to improve survivability. Reports indicated returning bombers suffered gunfire hits over the wings and fuselage, but not in the tail or cockpits, so to the casual observer it made sense to reinforce the wings and fuselage where the damage was clearly visible.
Abraham Wald, a mathematician, worked on the problem. He noted that reinforcing the spots where damage was evident in returning aircraft wasn’t necessarily the best course of action, given that hits to the cockpit and tail were probably causing aircraft (and aircrew) losses during the mission. In a series of memorandums, he developed a “method of estimating plane vulnerability based on damage of survivors.” As Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s Sherlock Holmes noted more than 100 years ago, “It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”WMNS NIKE PRESTO FLY SE BLACK/COOL GREY RUNNING SHOES ( 910570 006 ) SIZE 7K-Swiss Women's Court Frasco SDE Sneaker
Additionally, we need to reinforce our practice of performing quality literature reviews to aid in our identification of these issues.
Employ Skepticism and a Devil’s Advocate Approach. In 1587, the Roman Catholic Church created the position of Promoter of the Faith – commonly referred to as the Devil’s Advocate. To insure a candidate for sainthood met the qualification of being canonized, the role of the Devil’s Advocate was to be the skeptic (loyal to the institution), looking for reasons why not to canonize the individual. Similarly, Leaders must embrace the concept of employing a devil’s advocate approach to identifying 2nd/3rd order and evil effects of technology – if not designating a devil’s advocate with the right expertise to identify assumptions, risks, and effects. But creating any devil’s advocate or “risk identification” positions is only useful if their input is seriously considered.
Embrace the Suck. Lastly, if we are serious in identifying the 2nd/3rd order and evil effects, Zumba Air Classic Shoes - Black A1F00077New Womens Reebok CLUB C FVS CN3416 WHITE / NAVY US 6.0 - 11.0 UNISEX SIZE TAKSEto include identifying new dependencies, ethical issues, or other issues which challenge the adaption or development of a new technology or policy – then we must be honest, resilient, and tough. There will be setbacks, delays, and frustration.
Technology holds the power to improve and change our personal and professional lives. For the military, technology changes the ways wars are fought (i.e., the character of war), but it may also change the nature of war by potentially reducing the “human dimension” in war. If robotics, AI, and other technological developments eliminate “danger, physical exertion, intelligence and friction,”17 is war easier to wage? Will technology increase its potential frequency? Will technology create a further separation between the military and the population by decreasing the number of personnel needed? These may be some of the 2nd/3rd order and “evil” effects we need to consider.
If you enjoyed this post, please see Dr. Marsella’s previous post “Second/Third Order, and Evil Effects” – The Dark Side of Technology (New Balance Women's Fresh Foam Cruz Ballpark Shoes Navy)
– VANS Sk8 Hi Moc (Tortoise) Black/Blanc Leather High Top WOMEN'S Size 6.5, by Dr. Nir Buras