- Valentino Red Rouge Rockstud Flats Size US 10
- Brunello Cucinelli Brown Snake Leather Ankle Strap Heels Sandals Size US 9 Regular (M, B)
- Jessica Simpson Scrappy Heel Platforms Size US 8 Regular (M, B)
- Nike Air Zoom Pegasus 32, Men's Size 14 D, Black/White/DarkGrey 749340-001 NEW!
- NIKE VANDAL HIGH SUPREME LTR MEN SHOES AH8518-001 BLACK BLACK BLACK SIZE 11
- adidas Ace 16.1 FG Mens Football Boots US 11.5 Ref 1284=
- adidas TUBULAR DEFIANT PK - White - Womens
- New Balance Womens 300 Indigo Pack Lifestyle Fashion Sneaker- Pick SZ/Color.
- Born Mocha Leather Platform clog ankle boot Size 10M EUC
- NEW! NIKE AIR MAX SEQUENT 2 RED/BLACK MENS RUNNING SHOES 852461 006 SIZE 10.5
- NEW Nike Air Max 90 Ultra 2.0 Essential, Triple White Size 11.5 875695-101
- Ride Tecs Mens Black Riding Boots Size 8.5 (281003)
- Caterpillar Streamline P90285 Midnight Grey Mesh Composite Toe Work Sneakers
- Red Wing Mens 9.5 D Leather Steel Toe Work Boots 3504
- Men's New Fashion Leather Pointed Shoes High Top Buckle Black Short Boots D17
- SKECHERS Relaxed Fit Alamar Terence Winter Boot Size 7, SHEEP Wool NEW
- Timberlans Boots sneakers leather tactical work casual 10 M hiki
- Spring New Male Fashion Casual Walking Velvet Exquisite Buckle Shoes For Men
- Man's/Woman's Avenger Men's A7248 Black Slip-Resistant (Non-Skid) New market First grade in its class Contrary to the same paragraph
- RARE adidas by Stella McCartney Discosura Hiker in Grey 8 1/2 (runs small) NEW
- Fashion Women Suede Stiletto High Heels Pointy Toes Ankle Boots Rhinestone Shoes
- SAM EDELMAN Womens Black Leather Knee High Boots Sz 7 NEW! 222289
- Pour La Victoire Cassie Black Patent Leather Pump Tight Suede Over The Knee Boot
- CLARKS Cloud Steppers RED Mary Jane Loafers Mules Clogs Womens Shoes Sz 9.5
- Ladies Rieker Red Eur 41 US 9.5 Anti-Stress Closed Toe Shoes Slingback Slip Ons
- Womens Slip On Loafer Color Stitching Flats Pumps Clubparty Patent Leather Shoes
- Womens MUNRO ramie Black Suede Penny Loafers Shoes Sz. 7.5 SS NEW!
- ALEXA WAGNER Black Leather Studded Pointed Toe Block Heel Oxfords 38
- Skechers Relaxed Fit Breathe Easy Star Search Womens Slip On SneakersBlack9
- Real Leather Womens Multi Athletic Sports Running Casaul Shoes Sneakers Fashion
- Women's Puma Muse Maia Varsity Casual Whisper White/Metallic Bronze 36792001 001
- Asics FuzeX [T689N-2306] Women Running Shoes Red/Flash Coral
- Dansko Brown Leather Clogs 38 306-58260 Stapled
- ARMANDO CABRAL BURGUNDY WINGTIP SHOES - EXTRA LIGHT SOLE SIZE UK10, US11
- Mens Puma Grey and Red Leather Sneakers VGUC US 10.5
- Sperry Top Sider Rust Orange Suede Casual Moc Toe Boat Deck Loafers Men's 10 M
- Non-Slip Chef Shoes White Comfort Cushion clog Kitchen Bathroom Water Safety H
- Sperry, STS13333, Striper LL CVO Chili Red
- Mossimo Riding Boots Brown Knee High Zip Buckle Fashion Womens Size 10 M
- Tan Flat Round Toe Ankle Buckle With Studs Over Knee Sexy Boot Size 8
- LL Bean Womens BLACK Leather Suede Velcro Boots Size 6 M Hiking, Made in Canada
- Women Front Zipper Pointed Toe Ankle Boots Med Kitten Heel Leather Suede Shoes
- TILT 573-97 WOMENS/LADIES LEATHER BOOTS/KNEE HIGH/SHOES MADE IN ITALY ON SALE!
- Skechers Work Men's Conroe Searcy Slip Resistant Work Shoe Safety Toe ESD Size 7
- HOGAN MEN'S SHOES SUEDE TRAINERS SNEAKERS NEW H321 GREY 4A4
- Adidas Adilette Slide On Black White Mens Size 12 Pre Owned Free Shipping
- MEN SANDALS GENUINE LEATHER MEN'S SUMMER SHOES MEN SHOES MEN SANDALIAS HOMBRE
- Paul Mayer Orange and Blue Snake Print Leather Ballet Flats
- NEW BALANCE MENS WHITE LEATHER HIGH TOP RUNNING SHOE 581 MODEL SIZE 12/46.5 M
- Converse Basketball Shoes Red Leather Men 12 Medium (D, M)
- Justin Brown Leather Work Boots Sz 9.5 D
- Mens Mark Nason Elmwood Leather Chukka Boots 68175
- SANUK Mens 8 / Cargo Deluxe Brown Leather Chukka Ankle Boots
- Unlisted Kenneth Cole Men's Floor Model Imagi-Nation Ankle Boots Black Size 7
- PUMA Men's Enzo Mesh Sneaker - Choose SZ/color
- * US 8 MEN'S SIZES SHEEP WOOL SLIPPERS BOOTS 100% PURE WOOL VALENKI sheepskin
- Christian Louboutin Black Chelsea Boots/Booties Size US 7.5 Regular (M, B)
- Valentino Black Rockstud Slingback Pumps Size EU 35.5 (Approx. US 5.5) Regular (M, B)
- Christian Louboutin Brown 37.5 It Platform Thigh High Over Knee Lady Daf Red Toe Otk Suede Boots/Booties Size US 7.5 Regular (M, B)
- NIKE DUNK HIGH SIZE 9.5 SNEAKERS AUTHENTIC ANTHROSITE ABYSS BLAZING ORANGE 2008
- Nike Icursion Mid Men's Size 9.5 Shoes Pale Grey/River Rock Black 917541 002
- Nike Air Max 90 Ultra 2.0 Flyknit Size 8.5 Mens Olive Flak Black Running Shoes
- Scarpe Uomo Pantofola d'Oro Shoes Men Imola Uomo Low
- Men's Light Brown Leather Hogan Fashion Shoes Size 8 Medium
- Adidas Men's EQT Support ADV Black BY9589
- Nike Air Max Thea Bright magenta Turf Orange Running Shoe SZ 7.5. 599409-501
- Skechers Women's Bikers-Londoner Ankle Bootie - Choose SZ/Color
- Womens Girls Flats Over Knee Stretch Riding Motorcycle Boots Bow Knot Shoes F532
- Nike Lab Free Inneva Woven Tech SP sz9.5 HTM,Flyknit,QS,TZ,Rare,Sample,Runner
- Nike Air Max 90 Medium Grey/White - Men's size 8.5
- Gentlemen/Ladies David Tate Womens Vera Boot Selling Beautiful appearance value
- Gentlemen/Ladies Kat Maconie Lexi Leather Bootie Great variety modern At an affordable price
- Naya Tiber Womens Sz 9 M Black Leather Flats Tie Up Oxfords Shoes NICE!!
- Merrell 6M Shoes Black Slip on Clogs NIce!
- Opportunity Shoes - Corso Como Women's Sicily, Black Nubuck, 6 M US
- Bionda Castana Women's Red Gold Embroidered Loafer 1248 Size 37 New $550
- Mr/Ms gaimo Shoes 657990 Red 38 Big clearance sale High quality and economy Outstanding style
- Man's/Woman's Love Moschino Sneakers wholesale New style Comfortable and natural
- Bernie Mev Women's Comfi Mary Jane Peacock Stretch Nylon
- Nike Air Huarache City Low Prm Just Do It Womens AO3140-100 White Shoes Size 9.5
- Gentlemen/Ladies ADIDAS ORIGINALS Falcon suede-trimmed sneakers New market Preferred material Full range of specifications
- Men's/Women's Professional: Trad Nurse AA selling price In short supply a wide variety of goods
- Womens Dansko size 38 7.5-8 brown mule leather uppers EUC
- Diesel Diamond Men's High Top Leather Fashion Sneakers White
- Diesel Industry Denim Devision Mens Slip On Deck Boat Shoe Beige Sz 12 Med
- Rockport 1240 Mens Size 11.5W Slip on Boat Loafer Moc Shoes Brown Leather Y570
- Sperry Top-Sider Men's Leather Loafers Size 12 M Slip On Shoes Boating EUC 12M
- New NIKE TANJUN (812654-011) MENS FASHION SNEAKERS RUNNING SHOES
- Men's/Women's Booties Size 7.5 High quality and cheap Highly praised and appreciated by the consumer audience Official website
- RAMPAGE Women's Juniors Estefania Black Knee High Boots
- Born NEW Tall Brown Leather Boots Karlina 5.5 $209 B51123 36
- Women's MERRELL Outright Edge Mid WTPF:Sedona/Glacier Boots [Size: 5M] NIB
- Katy Perry The Monica Peep Toe Bootie - Women's Size 9.5 - Dark Purple
- Mens Ankle short Boots Pointed Toe Dress Pointy Metal Toe Nightclub Bling shoes
- $260 Red Wing Postman Leather Derby in Black Men’s 9 (Factory Seconds)
- Tod's brown suede bucks in mint condition
- PUMA (LEADCAT) SLIDES WHITE GREEN OLYMPICS SANDALS FLIP FLOPS MENS SZ 12 NIB NEW
- Jambu Womens Cheyenne Vegan Ballet Flat- Pick SZ/Color.
- Christian Louboutin Pink Wawy Dolly 100 Ballerina Patent Heel Pumps Size EU 36.5 (Approx. US 6.5) Regular (M, B)
- Giuseppe Zanotti Black Silver New Boots/Booties Size EU 39 (Approx. US 9) Regular (M, B)
- Man's/Woman's Mens Reebok Workout Trainers M42830~Classic Online Shopping Settlement Price Excellent function
- NEW Puma Mens 10.5 MED Cell Kilter Running Shoe Grey Sneakers Shoes 19128702 NIB
- Winboot Men's 81001 Winter Boots Waterproof Shoes 10"High
- Dunlop Men's 8'' Composite Toe Composite Plate WP Boots DLNA16101 Black 10.5M
- NOCONA Brown Leather Lizard Print Western Boots US 9.5 B Made in USA
- AJ335 CAFE' NOIR shoes gray suede men desert boots
- Men Pointed Toe Cuban Heel Leather Ankle Boot Retro Hot Motor Formal Shoes Sz
- Justin Style 3206 Cowboy Boot Men's size 7D Brown Leather Made in U.S.A.
- Men's Allen Edmonds Norwich Monk Strap Slip On Loafer Brown Size 10 D 29016 GUC
- Xero Shoes Casual Canvas Barefoot-Inspired Shoe - Men's HanaBlack/Black10.5 D...
- Gentleman/Lady: Nike Lunarmax: good design
- Valentino Green Printed Leather Ankle Strap Sandals Size EU 38.5 (Approx. US 8.5) Regular (M, B)
- NIKE LEBRON 11 XI EXT DENIM QS Men Black/Black 659509-004 Suede Blue size 13
- New Sz 11 Nike Men's Flyknit Lunar 2 Pure Platinum Crimson Red Black 620465-006
- Adidas Agravic Speed Outdoor Shoes- Women's 8.5 black white Sneakers
- New Nike Special Field Air Force 1 One Black Shoe Size 8 High Tops 857872-002
- New SJP by Sarah Jessica Parker Womens Tout Black Ankle Boots Size 6.5
- Mr/Ms Bamboo Black Vegan Leather Combat Boot Rich design Elegant and sturdy packaging Fashion dynamic
- AF1 864024 600 DEEP SF BURGUNDY/GUM SOLE NIKE SPECIAL FIELD AIR FORCE STRAPS
- Nike Jordan 12 XII Retro MCS Size 9.5 Baseball Cleats Black 854566-010
- Frye Carmer Shortie Motorcycle Boot 8 VGUC BROWN
- Ana Lublin Shoes Women Boots Black 82705 BDT SALE
- Patent Leather Womens Shoes Slip On Wedge Pumps Round Toe High Platform Stylish
- Skechers SN46406 Dark Brown Women's Leather Shoes Zippered Side Pocket US 9
- Wolky NEW! Ballet (359400) Slip-On Flats in Blue Goat Suede Women's 42 (US 10)
- Mr/Ms Chiara Ferragni Glitter Slippers, 35 Every item described is available Moderate cost Exquisite processing
- FRYE 71318 Womens Helena Ankle Tie Moccasin- Choose SZ/Color.
- Alexander Wang Devon Flatform Espadrilles Size 40
- Women's New Balance Shoes WL574PBU 574 Sneakers Size 7 New
- Black Raf Simons Adidas Stan Smith Sneakers in Women's Size 9
- Nike Air Max 1 Womens 319986-035 Vast Grey Habanero Red Running Shoes Size 7.5
- CAT Ergo Blue Gray Steel Toe Construction Safety Toe Work Shoes Womens Sze 7.5US
- Womens Flat Fur Lined Boots Winter Snow Warm Suede Boots Ladies
- Invicta 22751 Mens Disney Ed. Automatic Stainless Steel and Silicone Casual
- Men's Loafers fashion Breathable Ventilation Shoes Summer Driving Casual Shoes
- NEW Mens Comfortable Loafer Summer Beach Aqua Slip-on Shoes Silver 2706 e_C
- MBT Men 11 US 10 EU Casual Shoes Comfort Oxford Walking Brown Leather
- Men's Bally Bahia leather / suede back loafers size 7.5 M
- Women's Black & Multi Color mid Calf Flat Waterproof Rain Boots Shoes Sz 5-10
- Keds Riding Boots black Leather Euro 38 US 7.5 Fur Inside
- BRONX Brown Leather Knee High Boots Women's Size 36 (5.5)
- Lands' End- SnoGo 400g Waterproof Boots Women's 6 NIB $129
- Womens 10 M nine west harness buckle boots ankle black leather motorcycle biker
- Personalized Mens Nightclub Rivet Low Heels Shoes Glitter Sequins Leisure Shoes
- Lorenzo Banfi Multicolor Silk Nubuck Rare Vintage 8 M very good original Box
- Hurley Flip Flops Solar Soft Sandals sz 9 Mens 10 Womens Black Gray Barely Worn
- Gentlemen/Ladies Rockport Men's Darwyn Fishermen Sandal superior cheapest Clearance sale
- CECILIA BRINGHELI Tartan Wool Loafers Slip on 6.5 US 36.5 EU Green Blue $465
- New Balance Men's ML574 Alpha Running Shoe Orange 12 D US
- Under Armour Men’s Size 12 Speed Form Sprint Pro Track 1266203-299 NO SPIKES
- Belleville 310ST Hot Weather Boots Steel Toe Military Men's Size: 12W
- Chipppewa Briar Wip Insulated Work Boots - Men's Size 11.5W - Brown
- Dakota Men's Mid Cut Black/Yellow Safety Quad Hiker Boot 9EE
- Keen Mid Boot Mens Brown Nubuck Walking, hiking Boots Size 8 US
- HARLEY- DAVIDSON Men's 9 1/2 Motorcycle Riding Leather Boots 91005
- men's shoes BARK 10 () sneakers blue textile suede AG588-E
- Valentino Blue Turquoise Leather Rockstud 38.5 Flats Size US 8.5 Regular (M, B)
- Chloé Brown Leather (71169) Flats Size US 7.5
- Jessica Simpson Black Platforms Size US 8
- Nike Zoom Hyperrev 2016 TB - Basketball Shoes - 835439-403 - Size 15.5 - New
- New Mens Nike Air Monarch IV BLACK Cross Training Athletic Shoes MENS Size 7
- adidas Aerobounce ST W Stability Chalk Blue Women Running Shoes Sneakers CG4584：Man/Woman： Inexpensive
- adidas Performance CP9207 Girls Nemeziz 17.4 FxG J- Choose SZ/Color.
- Lamb Wool House Shoes - VIKTOR Men's Slippers Fur shoes Leather shoes
- Guess Ruddy Buckle Zip Up Boots , Black Multi, 9.5 US
- Nike Air Jordan Super.Fly 4 PO Size 12 Men Basketball Shoes Teal 819163-303 $150
- 2006 Jordan 314317-002 Basketball Shoes Anthracite / Metallic Silver US size 11
- Nine West Women's Jena Over-The-Knee Boot - Choose SZ/Color
- $389 Msrp Womans FRYE BOOTS Black LEATHER Silver Accent HIGH ANKLE BOOTIES Sz 7B
- NEW Women Breathable Loafer White Canvas Heels Comfort Flats Shoes shose
- NIB Vince Men's Simon' Perforated Sneaker Leather 8740234 White 12 M
- Mens vogue pull on crocodile pattern low heel Dress formal Leather shoes size B
- Mr/Ms: Lebron 12 Splash: old things in the south of the city
- SIGERSON MORRISON Alberta pale pink ballet flat embellished strap sz 8.5
- Vintage GH Bass Brown Leather Hiking Walking shoes W Women's Size 7-1/2M
- **Munro Brandi Flats - Women's Size 7.5 N, Black
- Upcurve Black Multi Fabric Anne Klein Flat
- Men's/Women's FitFlop Women's Superbendy Ballerinas Ballet Flat Fine workmanship Good market unique
- New Balance WL574ESV B 574 Purple White Women Running Shoes Sneakers WL574ESVB
- WOMEN'S SHOES SNEAKERS REEBOK CLUB C85 ZIP [BS6608]
- HOGAN WOMEN'S SHOES SUEDE TRAINERS SNEAKERS NEW INTERACTIVE BLACK 08F
- EMU Women's Roadside Waterproof Ankle Boot Black Leather Ankle Boots
- Cole Haan Classic Pinch Black Leather Slip-On Penny Loafer Womens Size 7B
- Louis Leeman Mens Wine Pony Sneaker Size 38 / USA 5
- Natha Studio brown leather buckle loafers mens slide-on Shoes size 10 N
- NUNN BUSH MEN'S "AVALON" MOC-TOE CASUAL OXFORD NAVY LEATHER US SIZE 8 WIDE
- NEW SKECHERS GO VULC RAMBLE GRAY LOAFER SHOES MENS 10.5 SLIP ON STYLE FREE SHIP
- Gentleman/Lady adidas Men's Cloudfoam Advantage Fashion Sneakers Great variety Good market Seasonal hot sale
- LADIES SPOT ON BLACK ANKLE BOOTS "F50405"
- Bare Traps Women's Ysidora Booties Size 9 Black
- COMPTOIR DES COTONNIERS Bottes à Talons Tout Cuir Daim Bordeaux T 37 BE
- Christian Louboutin Gold Iriza 100 Silver Glittex Glitter Lame Heel Pumps Size EU 38.5 (Approx. US 8.5) Regular (M, B)
- H by Hudson Tan Pull On Elasticated Aretha Formal Work Ankle Chelsea Boots 5 38
- Elizabeth and James Rinna Pleated Ankle Booties US 8 Silver Metallic High Heel
- FILA Men's T-1 Mid Top (Green/White/Navy) Fashion Sneakers
- CAC China TUP-B9 Triumph 9-Inch 54-Ounce Super White Porcelain Triangular Bowl,
- Gentleman/Lady New Bentley Mens Flip Flop Sandals Reasonable price Affordable Popular tide shoes
- Reef Men's Fanning Low Thong Sandal Brown Thong Sandals
- Olukai Men’s Sandal Size M 9 Eur 42 Ohana Brown
- Men/Women men nike fitsole size 11.5 wholesale discount price Elegant and solemn
- Boxfresh 'Fractal' White Black (Size 9.5US) New Lyte Air Gel boost max ultra
- Safety jogger X1100n black Men's black steel toe 100% authentic sz7.5-12 Ss
- Keen Targhee Vent Black Hiking Boots Mens Size 9 Excellent Barely Worn!
- MICKEY MOUSE BOOTS SIZE 9 NARROWS TAKE A PEEK...
- Vintage Men's Genuine Leather Cowboy Western Shoes Boots Size 43 VERO CUOIO
- Gentleman/Lady Portwest Steelite Taskforce Boot Black FW65 Easy to use Elegant and sturdy packaging Official website
- New Tommy Hilfiger Fairfield Fashion Sneakers Men Shoes Size 13 (MSRP $110)
- Casual Mens Leather Loafers Moccasins Soft Slip on Flats Creepers Dress Shoes SZ
- Sperry Top Sider Mens Boat Shoes A/O 2 Eye Sarape Grey Navy STS4047
- BRAND NEW ADIDAS MENS 10.5 HU HOLI BLUE WITH ORIGINAL BOX
[Editor’s Note: In Part I of this series, Dr. Nick Marsella addressed the duty we have to examine our assumptions about emergent warfighting technologies / capabilities and their associated implications to identify potential second / third order and “evil” effects. SympaTex Waterproof Firefighter Black Leather Boots Men's Size 10.5 M Steel ToeZARA MAN (10/43) BLACK **SUEDE LEATHER** ANKLE BOOTS Size 10USA 43EUR BNWTs In today’s post, he prescribes five actions we can embrace both individually and as organizations to avoid confirmation bias and falling into cognitive thinking traps when confronting the ramifications of emergent technologies — Enjoy!]
In part I of my blog post, I advised those advocating for the development and/or fielding of technology to be mindful of the second/third order and possible “evil” effects. I defined “evil” as an unexpected and profound negative implication(s) of the adoption/adaption of a technology and related policy. I also recommended heeding the admonition of Tim Cook, Apple’s CEO, to take responsibility for our technological creations and have the courage to think things through their potential implications – both for the good and the bad.
But even if we as individuals are willing to challenge our assumptions and think broadly and imaginatively, we can still come up short. Why? The answer is due in part to the challenges of prediction and the fact we are human with both great cognitive abilities, but also weaknesses.
First, common sense and many theorists remind us that the future is unknowable.ARMORTRED NEOPRENE CORD Mens 12 Oil Resistant Black Leather Biker Work Boots b15Gentlemen/Ladies COWBOY BOOTS SZ 41 Special purchase Reliable performance valueThe futurist Arthur C. Clark noted in 1962, “It is impossible to predict the future, and all attempts to do in any detail appear ludicrous within a very few years.” Within this fixed condition of unknowing, the U.S. Departments of Defense and the Army must make choices to determine:
– what capabilities we desire and its related technology;
– where to invest in research and development; and
As Michael E. Raynor pointed out in his book, CATERPILLAR MENS STEEL TOE Flexion BOOTS BLACK 8.5 MEDIUM GUC! USA, making choices and developing strategies, which include adopting new technology, where the future is unknowable and “deeply unpredictable” either produces monumental successes or monumental failures.Wolverine Nolan 6 Inch Composite Toe Waterproof Work Boot W10103 Size 12MVasque Mens Breeze St. Elias GTX Waterproof Athletic Hiking Mid Boots Size 11.5 For a company this can spell financial ruin, while for the Army, it can spell disaster and the loss of Soldiers’ lives and national treasure. Yet, we must also choose a “way ahead” – often by considering “boundaries” – in a sense the left and right limits – of potential implications.
Second, our ability to predict when technology will become available is often in error nor can we accurately determine its implications. For example, in a New York Times editorial on December 8, 1903, it noted: “A man carrying airplane will eventually be built, GUIDE GEAR Mens Black Leather Side Strap Biker Motorcycle Boots Size 8.5 MBaffin Men's Zone Snow Winter Boots Black Size 10 NEWbut only if mathematicians and engineers work steadily for the next ten million years.”5 The Wright Brothers first flight took place the following week, but it took decades for commercial and military aviation to evolve.
Each of the services has faced force modernization challenges due to the adoption of technologies that weren’t mature enough; whose capabilities were over-promised; or did not support operations in the envisioned Operational Environment. For the U.S. Army, Future Combat Systems (FCS) was the most obvious and recent example of this challenge – costing billions of dollars and, just as importantly, lost time and confidence.Dr Martens 8731 Mens DMS Work Boots Black Oil Resistant Made in England Size 10Lowa Hiking Boots Shoes Men Size 6.5 (No Original Insole)
Third, in terms of future technology, predictions vary widely. For example, predictions by MIT’s Rodney Brooks and futurist/inventor Ray Kurzweil vary widely to the question – “What year do you think human-level Artificial Intelligence [AI, i.e., a true thinking machine] might be achieved with a 50% probability?” Kurzweil predicts AI (as defined) will be available in 2029, while Brooks is a bit more conservative – the year 2200 – a difference of over 170 years.Tony Lama Brown Snake Skin Leather Boots Y6281 Men's 9 DMens Keen Dry waterproof Hiking Trail Boots Shoes Size Us 9 Very Nice
While one can understand the difficulty of predicting when “general AI” will be available, other technologies offer similar difficulties. The vision of the “self-driving” autonomous vehicle was first written about and experimented with in the 1920s, yet technological limitations, legal concerns, customer fears, and other barriers make implementing this capability challenging.
Lastly, as Rodney Brooks has highlighted, Laredo Mens Side Zip Zipper Cowboy Boots Black size 9.5 Leather Unisex Western maintains:
“we tend to overestimate the effect of a technology in the short run and underestimate the effect in the long run.”Caterpillar Mens Steel Toe Second Shift Work Boots P89586 Brown Leather - 10.5
SECOND, THIRD ORDER AND EVIL EFFECTS
– intentionally focus on the positive effects of adopting a technology;
– ignore the experts and those who identify the potential downside of technology; and
– fail to think thorough the short, long, and potentially dangerous effects or dependencies – imaginatively.
We do this because we are human, and more often because we fall into the confirmation bias or other cognitive thinking traps that might affect our program or pet technology. As noted by RAND in Truth Decay:Men's Florsheim Essex Size 10.5EEE Ankle Boots Shoes Burgundy Leather Zip Up D8Red Wing Men's 8" Supersole 2.0 Steel Toe Work Boot 2412 Brown Size 10 Wide 3E
“Cognitive biases and the ways in which human beings process information and make decisions cause people to look for information, opinion, and analyses that confirm preexisting beliefs, to weigh experience more heavily than data and facts, and then to rely on mental shortcuts and the beliefs of those in the same social networks when forming opinions and making decisions.”9
Yet, the warning signs or signals for many unanticipated effects can be found simply by conducting a literature review of government, think tank, academic, and popular reports (to perhaps include science fiction). This may deter some, given the sheer volume of literature is often overwhelming, but contained within these reports are many of the challenges associated with future technology, such as: the potential for deep fakes, loss of privacy, hacking,Men's Brown John Varvatos Leather Ankle Boots Size 10MNEW Calvin Klein Bayard Men’s Brown Round Toe Leather Oxford’s US Sz 8.5 M #A271 accidents, deception, and loss of industries/jobs.
At the national level, both the current and previous administrations published reports on AI, as has the Department of Defense – some more balanced in addressing of issues of fairness, safety, governance, and ethics.10
For example, using photo recognition to help law enforcement and others seems like a great idea, yet its use is increasingly being questioned. This past May, San Francisco became the first city to ban its use, and others may follow suit.11 While some question this decision to ban vice impose a moratorium until the technology produces less errors, the question remains – did the developers and policy makers consider if there would be push back to its introduction given its current performance?CLARKS Brown Leather Comfort, Casual Boots Men's Size 10.5New Mens Croft & Barrow Brown Astin Ankle Boots Size 11 Memory Foam Retail $90 What sources did they consult?
Another challenge is language. You’ve seen the commercials – “there is much we can do with AI” – in farming, business, and even beer making. While “AI” is a clever tag line, it may invoke unnecessary fear and misunderstanding. For example, I believe for most people equate “robotics” and “AI” with the “Terminator” franchise, raising the fear of uncontrolled autonomous military force overwhelming humanity. Even worse – under the moniker of “AI,” we will buy into “snake-oil” propositions.
We are at least decades away from “general AI” where a “system exhibits apparently intelligence behavior at least as advanced as a person” across the “full range of cognitive tasks,” but we continue to flaunt the use of “AI” without elaboration.New Hunter Target Mens 9.5 Womens 11.5 Canvas Outdoor Duck Boots White BlackNew Gravis Burton Cambridge Expedition Brown Leather Short Boots sz 9 US/42.5 EU
SOME ACTIONS TO TAKE
Embrace a learning organization. Popularized by Peter Senge’s The Fifth Discipline: The Art and Practice of the Learning Organization (1990), a learning organization is a place “where people continually expand their capacity to create the results they truly desire, where new and expansive patterns of thinking are nurtured, where collective aspiration is set free, and where people are continually learning how to learn together.”Man's/Woman's Represent Chelsea Boot Sz 10 US Aesthetic appearance Low price Fashion versatile shoes While some question whether we can truly make a learning organization, Senge’s thinking may help solve our problem of identifying 2nd/3rd order and evil effects.
First, we must embrace new and expansive patterns of thinking. Force developers use the acronym – “DOTMPLF-P” as shorthand for Doctrine, Organization, Training, Materiel, Personnel, Leadership, Facilities, and Policy implications – yet other factors might be as important.
For example, trust in automated or robotics systems must be instilled and measured. In one poll, 73% of respondents noted they would be afraid of riding in a fully autonomous vehicle – up 10% points from the previous year.14 What if we develop a military autonomous vehicle or a leader-follower system and one or more of our host nation allies prohibits its use? What happens if an accident occurs and the host population protests, Rockport Men’s Essential Black Leather Chukka Boots Size 9.5M D1946/Georgio Brutini "Beatle Boots", Cuban Heel, Worn once, Size 11arguing that the Americans don’t care for their safety?
Technologists and concept developers must move from being stove-piped in labs and single-focused to consider the broader view of technological implications across functions.
Embrace Humility. Given that we cannot predict the future and its potential consequences, developers must seek out diversified opinions, and more importantly, recognize divergent opinions.
Embrace the Data. In New York City during World War II, a small organization of some of the most brilliant minds in America worked in the office of the “Applied Mathematics Panel.” In Europe, the 8th U.S. Air Force suffered from devastating bomber losses. 1983 vintage U.S. MILITARY Black Combat Boots 12R Canvas Tactical Field EXC CONDVintage Tony Lama Men's Black Snakeskin Exotic Western Boots 10 1/2B, USA MadeLeaders wondered where best to reinforce the bombers with additional armor without significantly increasing their weight to improve survivability. Reports indicated returning bombers suffered gunfire hits over the wings and fuselage, but not in the tail or cockpits, so to the casual observer it made sense to reinforce the wings and fuselage where the damage was clearly visible.
Abraham Wald, a mathematician, worked on the problem. He noted that reinforcing the spots where damage was evident in returning aircraft wasn’t necessarily the best course of action, given that hits to the cockpit and tail were probably causing aircraft (and aircrew) losses during the mission. In a series of memorandums, he developed a “method of estimating plane vulnerability based on damage of survivors.” As Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s Sherlock Holmes noted more than 100 years ago, “It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”Men's/Women's Dr Martens Size 7 Brown Boot Cheap Excellent performance Sales online storeDan Post Mens Cowboy, Western Boots Size 9.5 (E, W) (21165)
Additionally, we need to reinforce our practice of performing quality literature reviews to aid in our identification of these issues.
Employ Skepticism and a Devil’s Advocate Approach. In 1587, the Roman Catholic Church created the position of Promoter of the Faith – commonly referred to as the Devil’s Advocate. To insure a candidate for sainthood met the qualification of being canonized, the role of the Devil’s Advocate was to be the skeptic (loyal to the institution), looking for reasons why not to canonize the individual. Similarly, Leaders must embrace the concept of employing a devil’s advocate approach to identifying 2nd/3rd order and evil effects of technology – if not designating a devil’s advocate with the right expertise to identify assumptions, risks, and effects. But creating any devil’s advocate or “risk identification” positions is only useful if their input is seriously considered.
Embrace the Suck. Lastly, if we are serious in identifying the 2nd/3rd order and evil effects, Mens Rocky Hiking Hunting Camping Boots 1200 G Thinsulate Waterproof Size 8 WDurango Side Zip Boots - Sz 11 Dto include identifying new dependencies, ethical issues, or other issues which challenge the adaption or development of a new technology or policy – then we must be honest, resilient, and tough. There will be setbacks, delays, and frustration.
Technology holds the power to improve and change our personal and professional lives. For the military, technology changes the ways wars are fought (i.e., the character of war), but it may also change the nature of war by potentially reducing the “human dimension” in war. If robotics, AI, and other technological developments eliminate “danger, physical exertion, intelligence and friction,”17 is war easier to wage? Will technology increase its potential frequency? Will technology create a further separation between the military and the population by decreasing the number of personnel needed? These may be some of the 2nd/3rd order and “evil” effects we need to consider.
If you enjoyed this post, please see Dr. Marsella’s previous post “Second/Third Order, and Evil Effects” – The Dark Side of Technology (Red Wing Pecos Cowboy Boots Style 1155 Size 10 1/2 E Burgundy Brown Made in USA)
… as well as the following posts:Men's Laredo Black Leather Western Cowboy Boots Sz:7.5 EEClarks Men's Darian Heath Black Leather Ankle Boots 26110194
– NEW BRAHMA SOFT TOE COWBOY BOOTS MEN'S 10.5 D, by Dr. Nir Buras