- Clarks Saranac 73062 Brown Nubuck Leather Boat Deck Moc Oxford Size 8M Mens AG17
- Sanuk Vagabonded Men's Size 10 Sidewalk Surfer Slip On Shoes Light Khaki Brown
- New in Box - $170 Millburn Co. Suede Chocolate Tie Drivers Men Size 9
- New Justin Men's Work Stamped Superintendent WK4660 Size 13D Waxy Brown Sawdust
- Matt Bernson Black Suede Belted Wedge Boots NEW
- Emerson Shoes Size Eur 36 US 6 Black & Tan Heels Wedges Buckle Hippie
- White Mountain Womens lida Closed Toe Knee High Fashion Boots, Black, Size 6.0 C
- STEVEN by Steve Madden Womens Doris Leather Almond Toe Ankle, Black, Size 6.0
- The Frye Company Womens Boots Size 10 Brown Distressed Leather Knee High
- Sneakers for sports and leisure , high top , 100% leather and velor
- uniform experiment Men's Shoes 153103 BeigeｘMulticolor 42
- Mens black leather sandals jesus strap shoes beach holiday size 6-11
- TEVA 4144 Katavi Men’s Size 12 Tan Orange Sport Sandals Adjustable Shoes ZV-1053
- Sarah Flint 'Andrea' Espadrille Lt Pink Grained Leather Flats Shoes Sz 40 US 10
- Nike Air Max2 CB 94 Charles Barkley Max 2 Black White Purple 305440 006 Size 8
- Men's Rainbow Sandals Classic Flip Flop Black Grey 100% Original 301AR/BKGY
- Khombu Mens Black Size 9 Summit Leather K Guard Waterproof Hiking Boot 1127721
- Mr/Ms Crevo Blake - Tan - Mens online sale Sales Italy Breathable shoes
- ADAM DERRICK TO BOOT New York Mens Brown Leather Ankle Zip Buckle Boots 12
- Chelsea Boots Men Shoes Ankle Boots Autumn Flat Shoes Tooling Casual Boots
- Wellco US Military GI Sage Air Force Flight Combat Work GORETEX USAF Boots 7 W
- British Men Leather Pointed Toe Embroidery Loafers Slip On Nightclub Casual Shoe
- Sophia Webster White Rose Gold Evangeline Pumps Size EU 36 (Approx. US 6) Regular (M, B)
- Hermès Boots/Booties Size US 8 Regular (M, B)
- NEW MINNETONKA 758 MOOSEHIDE WEEKENDER CARMEL DRIVING MOCASSINS SHOES MEN'S 13
- ECCO Men's Soft 8 High Top Fashion Sneaker - Choose SZ/Color
- PUMA Women's Ignite Ultimate Multi Running Shoe - Choose SZ/Color
- Theory Olive Green Sling Back Patent Leather Flats Size US 7 Regular (M, B)
- NIKE RT1 HIGH Casual Mahagony Brown Casual Sneakers Shoes Size 9
- 2005 Nike 310466-441 Women's 5.5 Shox Turb OZ (Ice Blue / Navy / Silver) 4Y
- nike air force 1 Supreme 07
- Nike Women's Odyssey React Running Shoe
- Ralph Lauren Sz 6B Brown Suede Genuine Leather Slipper House Shoes
- J.Crew Womens Boots Knee High Riding US 10 Brown Leather Zipper British Tan
- Scarpe Nike Air Max Nostalgic 916781 100 Uomo Running White Black Grey Sneakers
- nike air jordan flight 97 BG hi top trainers 654978 423 sneakers shoes
- 2019 Vogue Womens Occident Chunky Mid Heels Ball Top Over Knee High Boots Shoes
- Palladium Women's Pallabosse Off Lea Chukka Boot, Regal/Black, 10 M US
- Summer Women Sweet Flats Bow Tie Comfortable Open Peep Toe Cute Shoes Flower
- Fashion Women Men Casual Health Canvas Flat Shoes Blue Snowy
- New British Women Buckle Loafers Collegiate Slip On Leather Fashion Casual Shoes
- CABELA'S Black Leather HARNESS Clogs / Mules SIZE 9 Med Worn 1x or 2X
- AK Anne Klein Sport 25029122 Womens Glinda Velvet Ankle- Choose SZ/Color.
- $560+ Salvatore Ferragamo Women's MASON Leather Loafers Shoes Black 11 M
- shoes Under Armour sneakers 1295768 running womanThreadborne
- PUMA Fierce Culture Surf Hot Pink Silver Training Shoes Sneakers Womens size 6.5
- Women's Asics Gel-Resolution 7 Preowned Tennis Shoe Size 9
- Nike Air Max 97 - Special Edition White - Panache Pack - Blue Pink Red WOMENS100
- STUART WEITZMAN Size 8.5 Womens Dark Brown Slip On Casual Shoes 3W38377
- NEW MEN'S NIKE AIR MAX PURE GAME 454092-006
- DANSKO TRAVIS MEN'S FULL-GRAIN BROWN LEATHER DRESS SHOE US 7.5-8 S234
- GBX Gutt Sneaker - Men's Size 9.5, Navy
- Crocs Men's 15010 Bistro Pro Clog,Black,5 M US
- Mocassins Confort MANZ Exclusiv Tout Cuir Noir T 43 EXCELLENT ETAT
- WESTERN CHIEF Womens Tall Rain Boot, Red Buffalo Gal, Sz 10 Sm. Manuf. Flaw
- Carlos by Carlos Women's Santana Miles Ankle Booties Grey Size 8.5
- ARIAT LASER CUT BROWN LEATHER CLOGS SIZE US 8.5B M GREAT
- Skechers 49735 Womens Keepsakes-Sole Seeker Boot- Choose SZ/Color.
- Cole Haan Suede Leather Boots Tan / Beige Size5.5 New No Box Zipper
- Dolce Gabanna fashion sneakers men shoe size 10.5 (43.5)
- Man's/Woman's Rockport Colben Oxford Diverse new design comfortability cheaper
- DS NIKE 2000 AIR JORDAN XI CONCORD OG RETRO 10 I III IV V VI VIII X XII XIII XXI
- Chaco ZX/1 Classic Highland Wood Comfort Sandal Men's sizes 9,12,13 NIB!!!
- EUC Merrell Womens Caper Desert Sage Slip On Shoes Walking Hiking US 7
- Converse Chuck Taylor Hi US Flag Chili Paste Men's 149496F SZ 8
- ASICS Mens - Black Running Shoes Size 11.5 (356838)
- Doc Marten 8837 Black Leather Boots Size 6
- Christian Louboutin Gold 38 Altareva160 Pumps Size US 7.5 Regular (M, B)
- Valentino Multicolored Crystal Rockstud Flats Size EU 37 (Approx. US 7) Regular (M, B)
- Stuart Weitzman Black Waterproof Fabric with Nappa Leather Accents Pumps Size US 8.5 Regular (M, B)
- RED WING (USA) Vintage Pull On Men's Cowboy, Motorcycle Leather Boots Size : 9C
- Dr Martens Mens Industrial Steel Toe Anti Static Low Shoes Black Size 14 M
- VOODOO TACTICAL 6 TActical Boot 10 Wide Black
- Skechers for Work Men's Workshire Condor Boot - Choose SZ/Color
- BLACK Composite Toe TACTICAL BOOT SECURITY POLICE MILITARY ARMY MEN LADIES 4-15
- Skechers Felton-Altair Men Size 8.5 Reinforced Stitched Seams Black Work Shoes
- Florsheim Men's Billings Black Leather Classic Shoes
- adidas CG4329 Mens 5.5 Star Mid FTball Shoe- Choose SZ/Color.
[Editor’s Note: In Part I of this series, Dr. Nick Marsella addressed the duty we have to examine our assumptions about emergent warfighting technologies / capabilities and their associated implications to identify potential second / third order and “evil” effects. New Womens Size 5 Nike Air Max 90 Earth Purple Rave Pink White 325213-504PETER NAN FAUX FURRY SNEAKERS - GRAY - SIZE 39 - ORIG $495! In today’s post, he prescribes five actions we can embrace both individually and as organizations to avoid confirmation bias and falling into cognitive thinking traps when confronting the ramifications of emergent technologies — Enjoy!]
In part I of my blog post, I advised those advocating for the development and/or fielding of technology to be mindful of the second/third order and possible “evil” effects. I defined “evil” as an unexpected and profound negative implication(s) of the adoption/adaption of a technology and related policy. I also recommended heeding the admonition of Tim Cook, Apple’s CEO, to take responsibility for our technological creations and have the courage to think things through their potential implications – both for the good and the bad.
But even if we as individuals are willing to challenge our assumptions and think broadly and imaginatively, we can still come up short. Why? The answer is due in part to the challenges of prediction and the fact we are human with both great cognitive abilities, but also weaknesses.
First, common sense and many theorists remind us that the future is unknowable.Under Armour W Lax Highlight MC Women Size 9.5 1278782 Clutch Fit LacrosseMerrell Women's shoes "Polarand Rove Moc" waterproof NEW in box size 8 red trimThe futurist Arthur C. Clark noted in 1962, “It is impossible to predict the future, and all attempts to do in any detail appear ludicrous within a very few years.” Within this fixed condition of unknowing, the U.S. Departments of Defense and the Army must make choices to determine:
– what capabilities we desire and its related technology;
– where to invest in research and development; and
As Michael E. Raynor pointed out in his book, Skechers Women's D'Lites A New Leaf Black/White 11957 BKW- US 7.5 Size, making choices and developing strategies, which include adopting new technology, where the future is unknowable and “deeply unpredictable” either produces monumental successes or monumental failures.Womens Brooks Ariel 16 size 11.5 Wide EESkechers Performance Women's Go 4 Inspire Walking Shoe - Choose SZ/Color For a company this can spell financial ruin, while for the Army, it can spell disaster and the loss of Soldiers’ lives and national treasure. Yet, we must also choose a “way ahead” – often by considering “boundaries” – in a sense the left and right limits – of potential implications.
Second, our ability to predict when technology will become available is often in error nor can we accurately determine its implications. For example, in a New York Times editorial on December 8, 1903, it noted: “A man carrying airplane will eventually be built, Womens Nike Lunarglide+ 3 White Laser Pink Pure Platinum Turquoise 454315-160PUMA Women's Ignite Limitless Netfit Wn Sneaker, - Choose SZ/Colorbut only if mathematicians and engineers work steadily for the next ten million years.”5 The Wright Brothers first flight took place the following week, but it took decades for commercial and military aviation to evolve.
Each of the services has faced force modernization challenges due to the adoption of technologies that weren’t mature enough; whose capabilities were over-promised; or did not support operations in the envisioned Operational Environment. For the U.S. Army, Future Combat Systems (FCS) was the most obvious and recent example of this challenge – costing billions of dollars and, just as importantly, lost time and confidence.Rockport Women's Raelyn Knit Tie Fashion Sneaker - Choose SZ/ColorRyka Women's Dream Cross Trainer - Choose SZ/Color
Third, in terms of future technology, predictions vary widely. For example, predictions by MIT’s Rodney Brooks and futurist/inventor Ray Kurzweil vary widely to the question – “What year do you think human-level Artificial Intelligence [AI, i.e., a true thinking machine] might be achieved with a 50% probability?” Kurzweil predicts AI (as defined) will be available in 2029, while Brooks is a bit more conservative – the year 2200 – a difference of over 170 years.Skechers Performance Womens Activewear Push Fade Short- Select SZ/Color.Men's/Women's Mizuno Women's Wave Catalyst Running Shoe Strong heat and wear resistance Attractive fashion Immediate delivery
While one can understand the difficulty of predicting when “general AI” will be available, other technologies offer similar difficulties. The vision of the “self-driving” autonomous vehicle was first written about and experimented with in the 1920s, yet technological limitations, legal concerns, customer fears, and other barriers make implementing this capability challenging.
Lastly, as Rodney Brooks has highlighted, Skechers Women's Flex Appeal 2.0 First Impression Sneaker - Choose SZ/Color maintains:
“we tend to overestimate the effect of a technology in the short run and underestimate the effect in the long run.”PUMA Women's Basket Heart Patent Wn Sneaker - Choose SZ/Color
SECOND, THIRD ORDER AND EVIL EFFECTS
– intentionally focus on the positive effects of adopting a technology;
– ignore the experts and those who identify the potential downside of technology; and
– fail to think thorough the short, long, and potentially dangerous effects or dependencies – imaginatively.
We do this because we are human, and more often because we fall into the confirmation bias or other cognitive thinking traps that might affect our program or pet technology. As noted by RAND in Truth Decay:Nike Air Huarache Run PRM Women's running shoes 683818 015 Multiple sizesMizuno Wave Shadow Running Shoes Women Size 9.5 New!
“Cognitive biases and the ways in which human beings process information and make decisions cause people to look for information, opinion, and analyses that confirm preexisting beliefs, to weigh experience more heavily than data and facts, and then to rely on mental shortcuts and the beliefs of those in the same social networks when forming opinions and making decisions.”9
Yet, the warning signs or signals for many unanticipated effects can be found simply by conducting a literature review of government, think tank, academic, and popular reports (to perhaps include science fiction). This may deter some, given the sheer volume of literature is often overwhelming, but contained within these reports are many of the challenges associated with future technology, such as: the potential for deep fakes, loss of privacy, hacking,Skechers Performance Women's Go 4 Walk Shoe - Choose SZ/Color100% authentic Nike Wmns Roshe NM Flyknit (art. 843386-404) accidents, deception, and loss of industries/jobs.
At the national level, both the current and previous administrations published reports on AI, as has the Department of Defense – some more balanced in addressing of issues of fairness, safety, governance, and ethics.10
For example, using photo recognition to help law enforcement and others seems like a great idea, yet its use is increasingly being questioned. This past May, San Francisco became the first city to ban its use, and others may follow suit.11 While some question this decision to ban vice impose a moratorium until the technology produces less errors, the question remains – did the developers and policy makers consider if there would be push back to its introduction given its current performance?Bogs Sweet Pea Slip On Shoe - Women'sEasy Spirit Gemela Slip On Sneakers Womens Athletic Casual Shoes What sources did they consult?
Another challenge is language. You’ve seen the commercials – “there is much we can do with AI” – in farming, business, and even beer making. While “AI” is a clever tag line, it may invoke unnecessary fear and misunderstanding. For example, I believe for most people equate “robotics” and “AI” with the “Terminator” franchise, raising the fear of uncontrolled autonomous military force overwhelming humanity. Even worse – under the moniker of “AI,” we will buy into “snake-oil” propositions.
We are at least decades away from “general AI” where a “system exhibits apparently intelligence behavior at least as advanced as a person” across the “full range of cognitive tasks,” but we continue to flaunt the use of “AI” without elaboration.Women's Mesh Hollow Out Breathable Leather Sport Sneakers Platform Creeper ShoesVANS CLASSIC SLIP-ON DISNEY(THE JUNGLE BOOK)BLUE VN-0003DVHSU WOMEN'S SIZE: 5
SOME ACTIONS TO TAKE
Embrace a learning organization. Popularized by Peter Senge’s The Fifth Discipline: The Art and Practice of the Learning Organization (1990), a learning organization is a place “where people continually expand their capacity to create the results they truly desire, where new and expansive patterns of thinking are nurtured, where collective aspiration is set free, and where people are continually learning how to learn together.”New Balance Women's Fresh Foam Gobi Trail Running Shoe, Grey/Pink While some question whether we can truly make a learning organization, Senge’s thinking may help solve our problem of identifying 2nd/3rd order and evil effects.
First, we must embrace new and expansive patterns of thinking. Force developers use the acronym – “DOTMPLF-P” as shorthand for Doctrine, Organization, Training, Materiel, Personnel, Leadership, Facilities, and Policy implications – yet other factors might be as important.
For example, trust in automated or robotics systems must be instilled and measured. In one poll, 73% of respondents noted they would be afraid of riding in a fully autonomous vehicle – up 10% points from the previous year.14 What if we develop a military autonomous vehicle or a leader-follower system and one or more of our host nation allies prohibits its use? What happens if an accident occurs and the host population protests, Converse All Star Women's Ladies Girls CT Hi Top Platform Heel Trainers RRPPuma Women's Fierce Metallic 18986503 Puma Black Brand Newarguing that the Americans don’t care for their safety?
Technologists and concept developers must move from being stove-piped in labs and single-focused to consider the broader view of technological implications across functions.
Embrace Humility. Given that we cannot predict the future and its potential consequences, developers must seek out diversified opinions, and more importantly, recognize divergent opinions.
Embrace the Data. In New York City during World War II, a small organization of some of the most brilliant minds in America worked in the office of the “Applied Mathematics Panel.” In Europe, the 8th U.S. Air Force suffered from devastating bomber losses. Converse Distressed HARDWARE Silver Metallic Suede Lthr Tennis Shoes Wms 9.5 NWTVANS Sk8 Hi Moc (Tortoise) Black/Blanc Leather High Top WOMEN'S Size 6.5Leaders wondered where best to reinforce the bombers with additional armor without significantly increasing their weight to improve survivability. Reports indicated returning bombers suffered gunfire hits over the wings and fuselage, but not in the tail or cockpits, so to the casual observer it made sense to reinforce the wings and fuselage where the damage was clearly visible.
Abraham Wald, a mathematician, worked on the problem. He noted that reinforcing the spots where damage was evident in returning aircraft wasn’t necessarily the best course of action, given that hits to the cockpit and tail were probably causing aircraft (and aircrew) losses during the mission. In a series of memorandums, he developed a “method of estimating plane vulnerability based on damage of survivors.” As Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s Sherlock Holmes noted more than 100 years ago, “It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”K-Swiss Women's Court Frasco SneakerWomens Marc Ecko Rumor Casual Shoe - 26674/PRBK
Additionally, we need to reinforce our practice of performing quality literature reviews to aid in our identification of these issues.
Employ Skepticism and a Devil’s Advocate Approach. In 1587, the Roman Catholic Church created the position of Promoter of the Faith – commonly referred to as the Devil’s Advocate. To insure a candidate for sainthood met the qualification of being canonized, the role of the Devil’s Advocate was to be the skeptic (loyal to the institution), looking for reasons why not to canonize the individual. Similarly, Leaders must embrace the concept of employing a devil’s advocate approach to identifying 2nd/3rd order and evil effects of technology – if not designating a devil’s advocate with the right expertise to identify assumptions, risks, and effects. But creating any devil’s advocate or “risk identification” positions is only useful if their input is seriously considered.
Embrace the Suck. Lastly, if we are serious in identifying the 2nd/3rd order and evil effects, Women's Europe Flowers Sneakers Trainer Shoes Breath Walking Athleic Soprts US 9Mizuno Wave Rider 21 Sneaker - Women's Size 6 Redto include identifying new dependencies, ethical issues, or other issues which challenge the adaption or development of a new technology or policy – then we must be honest, resilient, and tough. There will be setbacks, delays, and frustration.
Technology holds the power to improve and change our personal and professional lives. For the military, technology changes the ways wars are fought (i.e., the character of war), but it may also change the nature of war by potentially reducing the “human dimension” in war. If robotics, AI, and other technological developments eliminate “danger, physical exertion, intelligence and friction,”17 is war easier to wage? Will technology increase its potential frequency? Will technology create a further separation between the military and the population by decreasing the number of personnel needed? These may be some of the 2nd/3rd order and “evil” effects we need to consider.
If you enjoyed this post, please see Dr. Marsella’s previous post “Second/Third Order, and Evil Effects” – The Dark Side of Technology (Womens Shoes Leather Wedge heel Studded Flower Chic Sneakers Ankle Boots Creeper)
– NEW SUPERGA FUCHSIA SUEDE SNEAKERS LADIES S009NA0 7.5 38 FLATS SKATEBOARD, by Dr. Nir Buras