- JUSTIN Black All Leather Roper Cowboy Boots Size 5.5 C Style L3057 USA
- Justin Womens Cowboy Cowgirl Boots Black Size 6 Leather Western
- Skechers Bikers - Zippiest Black Blk Womens Ankle Boot Size 11M
- Gentlemen/Ladies maison martin margiela ankle boots service Upper material Very good color
- Cole Haan Hayes Gore Bootie - Women's Size 8 B, Black
- men's shoes FDF SHOES 12 () elegant blue leather suede BZ345-G
- Florsheim Men's Denison Blue Suede/Full Grain Leather Moc Toe Shoes
- Rockport Essential Details II Bike Toe Mens Waterproof Black Slip On Shoes
- TM4 New Teva Terra Float Travel Sandals Water Sport Street Beach Men 9 Black
- Gentlemen/Ladies Melissa - Panapana - Black Rich design the most economical Cost-effective
- Addidas Men's Running Tennis Shoes Sneakers Nova Size 10
- AIRWALK Mens Shoes CANVAS ATHLETIC Sneakers SKATEBOARD Casual SKATER Size 5
- Mens Casual Dress Formal Fur Lined Zip Chukka Shoes business Ankle Snow Boot
- The Rail 'Brysen' Chelsea Boots - Brown Rust Suede - Size 12-12.5US / 46M (B96)
- Puma Work Shoes 642887. 'Miss Safety' Stepper. Steel Toe Cap Safety. Anti-Slip!
- Nocona Mens Deercowboy Boot Black Size 11.5 Pointed Toe (M12)
- MEN'S BELLEVILLE GORE-TEX tan COMBAT INFANTRY BOOTS = SIZE 7W = DE15
- Dakota 8" 529 STSP Injected Welt Men's Dark Brown Work Boots 11M
- Donald J Pliner Addo Men's Leather Fashion Court Sneakers Shoes
- Puma B.O.G Limitless Lo Evoknit S Men's Shoes Burnt Olive/Black 363669-03
- Christian Louboutin Pink Decoltish Poudre Glitter 100mm Heels A296 Pumps Size EU 37 (Approx. US 7) Regular (M, B)
- Christian Louboutin Gondolastrass Strass Blue Digitale Sneaker Flats Trainers 40 Sneakers Size US 10 Regular (M, B)
- Jessica Simpson Gold Pumps Size US 9 Regular (M, B)
- adidas Cloudfoam Racer Mens Trainers US 10.5 /3 REF 5091*
- 2017 Nike Zoom Dunk Low Elite SB MEDIUM GREY WHITE NAVY BLUE 864345-004 13
- Men's Nike Flyknit Mariah Running Sneakers New Racer Blue 918264-007
- Adidas Originals EQT Racing ADV W [BY9796] Women Casual Shoes White/White-Grey
- WMNS NIKE ODYSSEY REACT AO9820 001 003 403 601 Athletic Sneakers runner trainer
- Mr/Ms Nine West Women's Eshella Every item described is available Stylish and fun Seasonal promotion
- Steve Madden New Jaydun Black Womens Shoes Size 10 M Boots MSRP $129
- Men's Nike Air Force 1 '07 Low Dark Stucco/Black/White Sz 8-12 NIB AA4083-007
- Nike Free OG Superior '14 Royal/Maize/Black/White 642402-407 Sz 9.5 10.5
- J Crew Laine Boots Chester Brown 10.5 A9824
- Vince Camuto Women's SARINTA Ankle Boot - Choose SZ/Color
- CLARKS Collection Cushion Soft Mary Janes Everlay Bai Black Size 7 M
- Roman Gladitor Flats Open Toe Ankle Straps Womens Summer Casual Pumps Shoes win
- Ecco Tan Leather Womens Casual Oxford Sneakers Shoes Size 42 M*
- Nine West Women's Mai Suede Ballet Flat - Choose SZ/Color
- AGL ATTILIO GUISTI LEOMBRUNI Suede Shimmer Ballet Flats 35 US ITALY
- NEW CHLOE Black Suede Peep-Toe Strappy Sandals (Size 38) - MSRP $840.00!
- Skechers Performance Women's Go Step-Inception Walking Shoe - Choose SZ/Color
- Lucky Brand Women's Wesson Block Heel Bootie Storm Velvet Fabric Zipper
- Nike SF Air Force 1 Mid - Orange - Womens
- PUMA Men's MCQ Move Lo Sneaker Sodalite Blue 10.5 M US
- Brand New! Women’s Apex sydney boat shoe bone Color Size 8 Medium
- Kenneth Cole Mens Pop The Cork Slip On Loafers Grey Leather 8 NEW IN BOX
- Men's The Walking Company Brown Leather Sandals Size 46/12 M EUC NICE
- Reef Men's Voyage Low Fashion Sneaker Grey/Gum Size 8.0
- Handmade Shoe Mens Leather Jutti Indian Mojari Gents Black Khussa Shoe US 7
- MARKIZ ITALIAN MADE SHOES 3522-4 BRN/WHITE/RED (DISCOLORED) EURO SIZE 42 - NEW!
- Tan / Black Combat Military 2-Way Mid-calf with Fold Style Casual Womens Boots
- ADRIENNE VITTADINI Leather High Booties Size 10 M
- L'Artiste by Spring Step Womens Leather Boots Orla Brown 37 US 7
- Antonio Melani Dress Cowboy Boots Brown Leather Tooled Design High Heels $175
- Franco Sarto "Emerge" Beige Leather Grosgrain-Trim Booties Sz.8 M NWOB WOW!!!
- Gentleman/Lady ZANZARA Men's Ralston Fashion Sneaker We have won praise from our customers. new Exquisite (processing) processing
- Steve Madden Men's Elvin Monkstrap Black Leather Business Shoes
- Kenneth Cole Reaction Men’s Chukkas Desert Sun Red Suede Casual Dress Shoes 8 M
- Chaco Waterproof Arch Support Sandals Size 11 Navy & Dark Orange Excellent
- Gentlemen/Ladies Emmie Leopard Lucky Brand Modern technology Year-end sale Quality and consumer first
- inov-8 F-Lite 195 Athletic Shoes, Men's Size 11.5, Black
- AND1 Typhoon Mid Black;White - Mens - Size 7 D
- Fashion Mens Slip On Leather Round Toe Chelsea Boots Desert Ankle Boots Shoes sz
- NEW Stacy Adams Mastermind Men’s Brown/Camo Boot Shoes US Size 9 M
- yoshiharu hasegawa Men's Shoes 067523 Black 9
- Terra Men's 6" Dark Brown/Black Work Boot 10.5M
- Fashion Tactical Comfort Leather Round Toe Military Ankle Boots Mens Army Shoes
- THE AMERICAN EAGLE FIELD LEATHER UPPER MEN'S BOOTS SIZE 13 COLOR GREEN
- Geox Men's M Smart 74 Fashion Sneaker, Musk, 40 EU/7 M US
- Céline Black Philo Phoebe Mules/Slides Size US 9.5
- Valentino Multicolor Rockstud Pumps Size US 5.5
- Stuart Weitzman Black New Mismatch 7 M Lowland Suade Over-the-knee Boots/Booties Size US 6.5 Regular (M, B)
- Nike Free RN Flyknit Mens Running Shoes Night Maroon - Crimson 831069 603 NEW
- Nike Air Jordan Jumpman Team II White Jordans Sz 13 White/Gum
- Adidas Deerupt Runner Womens AC8466 Solar Red Bluebird Running Shoes Size 5
- 7.5 WMNS NIKE HUARACHE RUN MULTICOLOR BLUE GREY BLACK VOLT RUNNING 2018 6 YOUTH
- Breckelles Women's Alabama-12 Knee High Riding Boots
- Autumn Womens Suede Boots Roman Over Knee High Block Heels Vogue Shoes Plus SIze
- embroidered Mens Espadrilles Casual genuine leather shoes breath sneakers Black
- Adidas Men's Superstar Foundation Sneaker, Size 11, White/Black
- Nike Hyperdunk 2017 THINK PINK KAY YOW BREAST CANCER AWARENESS 897631-100 sz 11
- Brand New Men BY3001sz10.5 Nike Penny iv Multicolored
- Bearpaw Abby Turned Out Buckled Pull On Boots, Winterberry, 7 US / 38 EU
- Skechers Women's Keepsakes Appeal Mid 3 Button Faux Fur Trim Winter Boot
- Ladies Old Gringo 13" Rockrazz Black Boots, 10
- Girl Patent Leather Women Buckle Flats Strap Slip On Flats Oxford Shoes Size
- Dr. Martens Men's Vegan 1461 Black Felix Rub Off Shoes R14046001
- Vionic Brisk Pace Mary Jane Black 7W
- Gentleman/Lady Ladies Easy B Canvas Shoes 'Anthea' Online Shopping a wide range of products have fun
- GIORGIO ARMANI Silver Round Toe Synthetic Leather Flats XGDM67 $695 NEW
- Women's Trail Terraventure Athletic Shoes Size 6 Lt Blue/Sapphire NIB
- New Balance WRL247OA B Black White Sail Women Running Shoes Sneakers WRL247OAB
- NIKE Womens Air Max 90 Ultra 2.0 Flyknit Running Trainers Sneakers Shoes 7.5
- Stuart Weitzman Women's 5050 Leather Over-the-Knee Boot Black Nappa Leather
- Sanita Womens Size 38 Black Clogs Patent Leather Nursing Shoes
- Man's/Woman's POLO RALPH LAUREN LEATHER/CANVAS BOOTS Fine workmanship Won highly appreciated and widely trusted at home and abroad unique
- Johnston & Murphy Men's Loafers Size 10 1/2M Black Leather Bicycle Toe 20-7251
- 2017 new! Men's leather driving casual boat shoes comfortable skateboard shoes
- Men's Bragano Loafer Driving Moc Rubber sole Brown leather Sz 9.5
- Johnston & Murphy Men's Brown Suede Split Moc Toe Loafer Shoes (Sz 10.5 M)
- SZ4.5-11.5 Block Heels Zipper Thigh Boots Quilted Knee High Womens Shoes Autumn
- Jack Rogers Women's Deborah Ankle Boot, Charcoal Suede, 5.5 M US
- Steve Madden Faimont Knee High Belted Riding Style Boots Brown leather Sz 10
- Volatile Womens Bynes Leather Closed Toe Mid-Calf Fashion Boots, Black, Size 9.0
- Nocona Cognac Leather Cowboy Boots Womens Size 6 C Style L920 USA
[Editor’s Note: In Part I of this series, Dr. Nick Marsella addressed the duty we have to examine our assumptions about emergent warfighting technologies / capabilities and their associated implications to identify potential second / third order and “evil” effects. Cole Haan ZeroGrand Wingtip Oxford Men's Shoes size 10.5 $270 NewNIB $80 Converse CT Double Zip Hi Mole 140002C US Mens 11.5 In today’s post, he prescribes five actions we can embrace both individually and as organizations to avoid confirmation bias and falling into cognitive thinking traps when confronting the ramifications of emergent technologies — Enjoy!]
In part I of my blog post, I advised those advocating for the development and/or fielding of technology to be mindful of the second/third order and possible “evil” effects. I defined “evil” as an unexpected and profound negative implication(s) of the adoption/adaption of a technology and related policy. I also recommended heeding the admonition of Tim Cook, Apple’s CEO, to take responsibility for our technological creations and have the courage to think things through their potential implications – both for the good and the bad.
But even if we as individuals are willing to challenge our assumptions and think broadly and imaginatively, we can still come up short. Why? The answer is due in part to the challenges of prediction and the fact we are human with both great cognitive abilities, but also weaknesses.
First, common sense and many theorists remind us that the future is unknowable.Allen Edmonds Chatham Brown Nubuck Leather Moc Toe Tassel Loafer Shoes Men 10 BNIB Converse Pro Leather Plus Mid Barcelona Red / Orange / Bl 134769C US Mens 12The futurist Arthur C. Clark noted in 1962, “It is impossible to predict the future, and all attempts to do in any detail appear ludicrous within a very few years.” Within this fixed condition of unknowing, the U.S. Departments of Defense and the Army must make choices to determine:
– what capabilities we desire and its related technology;
– where to invest in research and development; and
As Michael E. Raynor pointed out in his book, Mezlan “Santander” Black Leather Kilted Mens Loafer Shoes (Size - 12). •, making choices and developing strategies, which include adopting new technology, where the future is unknowable and “deeply unpredictable” either produces monumental successes or monumental failures.NIB Converse Pro Leather 76 Mid Mono Black 155334C US Mens 13Vans Unisex A Tribe Called Quest Tracklist Skate Shoes-Track List For a company this can spell financial ruin, while for the Army, it can spell disaster and the loss of Soldiers’ lives and national treasure. Yet, we must also choose a “way ahead” – often by considering “boundaries” – in a sense the left and right limits – of potential implications.
Second, our ability to predict when technology will become available is often in error nor can we accurately determine its implications. For example, in a New York Times editorial on December 8, 1903, it noted: “A man carrying airplane will eventually be built, Mens Cole Haan Shoes Loafers Size 10.5 New!Cole Haan Mens 11 M Loafers Distressed Casual Slip on Shoes Brown Leather (F27)but only if mathematicians and engineers work steadily for the next ten million years.”5 The Wright Brothers first flight took place the following week, but it took decades for commercial and military aviation to evolve.
Each of the services has faced force modernization challenges due to the adoption of technologies that weren’t mature enough; whose capabilities were over-promised; or did not support operations in the envisioned Operational Environment. For the U.S. Army, Future Combat Systems (FCS) was the most obvious and recent example of this challenge – costing billions of dollars and, just as importantly, lost time and confidence.Sperry Billfish Boat Shoes - Men's Size 11M - TanMr/Ms ZANZARA Men's Vacdes Fashion Sneaker excellent quality Optimal price Breathable shoes
Third, in terms of future technology, predictions vary widely. For example, predictions by MIT’s Rodney Brooks and futurist/inventor Ray Kurzweil vary widely to the question – “What year do you think human-level Artificial Intelligence [AI, i.e., a true thinking machine] might be achieved with a 50% probability?” Kurzweil predicts AI (as defined) will be available in 2029, while Brooks is a bit more conservative – the year 2200 – a difference of over 170 years.Cole Haan GrandPro Mens 10.5 Tennis Sneakers Handstain Brown Shoes C22585Cole Haan Resort Men's Penny Loafers Sz 9 M Woven Brown Leather Casual Shoes P
While one can understand the difficulty of predicting when “general AI” will be available, other technologies offer similar difficulties. The vision of the “self-driving” autonomous vehicle was first written about and experimented with in the 1920s, yet technological limitations, legal concerns, customer fears, and other barriers make implementing this capability challenging.
Lastly, as Rodney Brooks has highlighted, Men's Sperry Top-Sider GOLD CUP Sport Casual LTT ASV , STS11789 Size 12 Grey maintains:
“we tend to overestimate the effect of a technology in the short run and underestimate the effect in the long run.”Hugo Boss Men's Black Material Mix Rubber Sole Athletic Sneakers US 11
SECOND, THIRD ORDER AND EVIL EFFECTS
– intentionally focus on the positive effects of adopting a technology;
– ignore the experts and those who identify the potential downside of technology; and
– fail to think thorough the short, long, and potentially dangerous effects or dependencies – imaginatively.
We do this because we are human, and more often because we fall into the confirmation bias or other cognitive thinking traps that might affect our program or pet technology. As noted by RAND in Truth Decay:Allen Solly penny loafer Sz 9.5 D leather brown slip on shoesSperry Top Sider Two Tone Black Brown Leather Boat Shoes Size 9.5 Slip On Tassel
“Cognitive biases and the ways in which human beings process information and make decisions cause people to look for information, opinion, and analyses that confirm preexisting beliefs, to weigh experience more heavily than data and facts, and then to rely on mental shortcuts and the beliefs of those in the same social networks when forming opinions and making decisions.”9
Yet, the warning signs or signals for many unanticipated effects can be found simply by conducting a literature review of government, think tank, academic, and popular reports (to perhaps include science fiction). This may deter some, given the sheer volume of literature is often overwhelming, but contained within these reports are many of the challenges associated with future technology, such as: the potential for deep fakes, loss of privacy, hacking,Mens Flexa Made In Italy Driving Shoes New Size 11d BrownDr. Doc Martens 7A12 Air Wair Ind Steel Toe Work Oxfords M 7 L 8 Euro 39 Black accidents, deception, and loss of industries/jobs.
At the national level, both the current and previous administrations published reports on AI, as has the Department of Defense – some more balanced in addressing of issues of fairness, safety, governance, and ethics.10
For example, using photo recognition to help law enforcement and others seems like a great idea, yet its use is increasingly being questioned. This past May, San Francisco became the first city to ban its use, and others may follow suit.11 While some question this decision to ban vice impose a moratorium until the technology produces less errors, the question remains – did the developers and policy makers consider if there would be push back to its introduction given its current performance?CONVERSE FIRST STRING SHOOTER FS IV OX 128196C BLACK EGRT SIZE 10.5Rockport Black /Brown Leather Oxfords Hook & Loop Casual Shoes Men's Size 12 M What sources did they consult?
Another challenge is language. You’ve seen the commercials – “there is much we can do with AI” – in farming, business, and even beer making. While “AI” is a clever tag line, it may invoke unnecessary fear and misunderstanding. For example, I believe for most people equate “robotics” and “AI” with the “Terminator” franchise, raising the fear of uncontrolled autonomous military force overwhelming humanity. Even worse – under the moniker of “AI,” we will buy into “snake-oil” propositions.
We are at least decades away from “general AI” where a “system exhibits apparently intelligence behavior at least as advanced as a person” across the “full range of cognitive tasks,” but we continue to flaunt the use of “AI” without elaboration.Rockport Men’s Junction Point Chocolate Leather Walking Shoes Size 9.5W D1089/SUPRA S18253 SKYTOP Mn's (M) Olive/White Ballistic/Canvas Hi Top SkateShoes
SOME ACTIONS TO TAKE
Embrace a learning organization. Popularized by Peter Senge’s The Fifth Discipline: The Art and Practice of the Learning Organization (1990), a learning organization is a place “where people continually expand their capacity to create the results they truly desire, where new and expansive patterns of thinking are nurtured, where collective aspiration is set free, and where people are continually learning how to learn together.”British Men's Leather Slip on Flat Classic Elegant Bowtie Business Casual Shoes While some question whether we can truly make a learning organization, Senge’s thinking may help solve our problem of identifying 2nd/3rd order and evil effects.
First, we must embrace new and expansive patterns of thinking. Force developers use the acronym – “DOTMPLF-P” as shorthand for Doctrine, Organization, Training, Materiel, Personnel, Leadership, Facilities, and Policy implications – yet other factors might be as important.
For example, trust in automated or robotics systems must be instilled and measured. In one poll, 73% of respondents noted they would be afraid of riding in a fully autonomous vehicle – up 10% points from the previous year.14 What if we develop a military autonomous vehicle or a leader-follower system and one or more of our host nation allies prohibits its use? What happens if an accident occurs and the host population protests, Mens Embroidery Flats Loafer Moccasin Creeper Dress Casual Leather Shoes Soft SzMens Hollow Out Colse Toe Slip On Loafers Sandals Driving Moccasins Casual Shoesarguing that the Americans don’t care for their safety?
Technologists and concept developers must move from being stove-piped in labs and single-focused to consider the broader view of technological implications across functions.
Embrace Humility. Given that we cannot predict the future and its potential consequences, developers must seek out diversified opinions, and more importantly, recognize divergent opinions.
Embrace the Data. In New York City during World War II, a small organization of some of the most brilliant minds in America worked in the office of the “Applied Mathematics Panel.” In Europe, the 8th U.S. Air Force suffered from devastating bomber losses. Clubwear Mens Pointy Toe Slip On Rivets Sequins Bling Casual Shoes Rhinestone SzMens Outdoor Casuals Shoes Slip On Breathable Rivet Loafers Flats Driving ShoesLeaders wondered where best to reinforce the bombers with additional armor without significantly increasing their weight to improve survivability. Reports indicated returning bombers suffered gunfire hits over the wings and fuselage, but not in the tail or cockpits, so to the casual observer it made sense to reinforce the wings and fuselage where the damage was clearly visible.
Abraham Wald, a mathematician, worked on the problem. He noted that reinforcing the spots where damage was evident in returning aircraft wasn’t necessarily the best course of action, given that hits to the cockpit and tail were probably causing aircraft (and aircrew) losses during the mission. In a series of memorandums, he developed a “method of estimating plane vulnerability based on damage of survivors.” As Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s Sherlock Holmes noted more than 100 years ago, “It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”Florsheim Oval Perf Drivers Leather Mens Casual ShoesEmbroidery Metal Toe Men Flats Dress Formal Loafers Driving Moccasins Chic Shoes
Additionally, we need to reinforce our practice of performing quality literature reviews to aid in our identification of these issues.
Employ Skepticism and a Devil’s Advocate Approach. In 1587, the Roman Catholic Church created the position of Promoter of the Faith – commonly referred to as the Devil’s Advocate. To insure a candidate for sainthood met the qualification of being canonized, the role of the Devil’s Advocate was to be the skeptic (loyal to the institution), looking for reasons why not to canonize the individual. Similarly, Leaders must embrace the concept of employing a devil’s advocate approach to identifying 2nd/3rd order and evil effects of technology – if not designating a devil’s advocate with the right expertise to identify assumptions, risks, and effects. But creating any devil’s advocate or “risk identification” positions is only useful if their input is seriously considered.
Embrace the Suck. Lastly, if we are serious in identifying the 2nd/3rd order and evil effects, Gladiator Mens Strappy Pointy Toe Flats Buckle Roman Retro Sandals Shoes LeatherClarks Sneakers Caribu Black Leather Shoes Mens Size 8to include identifying new dependencies, ethical issues, or other issues which challenge the adaption or development of a new technology or policy – then we must be honest, resilient, and tough. There will be setbacks, delays, and frustration.
Technology holds the power to improve and change our personal and professional lives. For the military, technology changes the ways wars are fought (i.e., the character of war), but it may also change the nature of war by potentially reducing the “human dimension” in war. If robotics, AI, and other technological developments eliminate “danger, physical exertion, intelligence and friction,”17 is war easier to wage? Will technology increase its potential frequency? Will technology create a further separation between the military and the population by decreasing the number of personnel needed? These may be some of the 2nd/3rd order and “evil” effects we need to consider.
If you enjoyed this post, please see Dr. Marsella’s previous post “Second/Third Order, and Evil Effects” – The Dark Side of Technology (New Summer Men Loafers Casual Breathable Slip On British Driving Boat Chic Shoes)
– Gentleman/Lady PUMA Suede S Gris Not so expensive New style Popular tide shoes, by Dr. Nir Buras