- Nike Air Huarache SAMPLE Run NSW Ultra Shoes Blue Trainers White SZ 7 819151-400
- US size 7.5 859429-900 Nike Women Air Huarache Run Se Rose Gold Bronze White
- Europe Women's Pointed Toe Rhinestones Bling Cross Strappy Crystal Flat Shoes
- Dansko Black Nurse Professional Clogs Euro 43 US 12.5
- DS NIKE 2005 JORDAN VII CARDINAL OG RETRO 9 I III IV V VI VIII X XI XII XIII XXI
- Mens Maximo Luciano Slip On Caramel Leather Loafers With Bronze Metal Chain (44)
- Retro Fashion Mens Brogue Slip on British Tassel Pointy Toe Casual Dress Shoes
- Crocs Men's Santa Cruz 10128 - Black / Khaki - 10
- NEW Converse Classic CT Hi Top Mens Sz 10 Charcoal Grey Leather Shoes 135247C
- Bare Traps Tommy Womens Riding Boots with Buckles - Choose Medium or Wide Calf
- Jessica Simpson Women's Yasma Ankle Boot, Wild Mushroom, Size 10.0 vNrU
- Nine West Cyclone Black Leather Buckle Biker High Heel Boots US 7 M
- MNP910189 GRAY LMPFBTS60 Women's Shoes Size 8.5 () Leather Boots Mephisto
- Womens Tall Rain Boots Featuring Graffiti Artwork Waterproof Wellies Size 9
- Nike Brand Air Jordan 1 Mid white 554724 120 - mens 11
- NWT Converse Golf Le Fleur Bachelor Blue Sneakers Tyler the Creator DS AUTHENTIC
- Valerio Neri 46309 Black Leather Shearling Fur Shoe Boot 46 / US 13
- NEW OLUKAI OHANA FLIP FLOP SANDAL MENS BLACK 8-13 BEACH WATER FREE SHIP
- Aerosoles GOODNESS Womens Goodness Ballet Flat- Choose SZ/Color.
- US. Size 8 Mens Vans Off the Wall OTW Tesella Leather Sneakers Brown Felt
- Nike Kevin Durant Sneakers Mens 9 Zoom KD Trey 5 IV Basketball Shoes Silver
- Men's Double H AG7 Ranch Willington Boots Size 4E
- KOMFORT Steel Composite Toe Work Shoes Men (US 7 / EU39) Steel Toe Working Shoes
- Gempler's Brown Bear Steel Toe Brown Boots By LaCrosse Made in USA Size 5 ✞
- Calvin Klein Ulysses Chukka Boots Suede - Men's Size 9.5 Dark Brown
- Christian Louboutin Nude Cherry Sandal 140 Platforms Size EU 39.5 (Approx. US 9.5) Regular (M, B)
- Converse Mens Size 11 Chuck Taylor Hiker Hi Sneaker Leather Boot Phaeton Gray
- New Summer Men British Moccasins Real Leather Slip On Casual Loafers Vogue Shoes
- Nike SB Zoom Stefan Janoski Sz 5 ARMORY SLATE Black White New DS 333824 412
- Men Diesel Sneakers S-KBY Y01534 T8013 Color $178.00 FREE SHIPPING
- Mr/Ms：PUMA Women's Meteor WN's Running Sneaker - Choose SZ/Color：Sale Outlet
- Valentino Black Leather Rockstud Ankle Boots/Booties Size US 9 Regular (M, B)
- Aquazzura Silver Purist Sandal 85m Formal Shoes Size EU 38 (Approx. US 8) Regular (M, B)
- Nike Air Huarache Run Men's (Size 6) Blue / Grey 318429 414
- Nike Air Jordan B. Fly Max Orange Gym Red Black Sneakers 881444 803 Msrp $110 1C
- Adidas Originals NMD R2 Primeknit Triple Black Sizes = US 7 Style BY9525
- Womens NIKE FREE TR FOCUS FLYKNIT White Running Trainers 844817 102
- Sexy Womens Patend Leather Stilettos Knee High Boots Night Club Boots Shoes New
- Women's Boots Winter DREAM PAIRS Pocono Brown Faux Fur Mid Calf Riding, 6.5 M US
- White/Metallic Silver-Black-Multi-Color Black/White-green Shock-hyper Orange 9.5
- NIKE AIR JORDAN SUPER FLY 2017 Basketball Shoes Black/Red US 10
- Coconuts by Matisse Flint Women US 10 Black Ankle Boot
- Circle G Women's Cut-Out Shortie Boot - Round Toe - Q5027
- **Soft Style Hadie Laser Cut Faux Leather Ballet Flats, Women's Size 7N, White
- Chinese Laundry Womens Flirty Round Toe Casual Strappy Sandals
- Sperry Top-Sider Angelfish Boat Shoe - Women's Size 6.5 W, Angelfish Linen/Oat
- FRYE Women's Sienna Ballet Flat - Choose SZ/Color
- DOLCE & GABBANA 37.5 Black Satin Ballet Flats 7
- Men/Women Ateliers Women's Alfie in Black Queensland cheapest Very good color
- Womens Nike Air Max 90 Ultra 2.0 881106-002 Black/Metallic Hematte New Sz 12
- AM710 ALBERTO GUARDIANI shoes white red leather women sneakers
- BeautiFeel Women's Zhuri Sneaker, Blue, Size 370 M EU (6 US)
- Bzees Womens Bliss Black Flats Size 9 (23650)
- Gentleman/Lady Womens Dansko Black Slip On Shoes Crazy price, Birmingham Highly praised and appreciated by the consumer audience fine
- Rare Vans patta beams old school Ron Herman Sneaker from JAPAN F/S
[Editor’s Note: In Part I of this series, Dr. Nick Marsella addressed the duty we have to examine our assumptions about emergent warfighting technologies / capabilities and their associated implications to identify potential second / third order and “evil” effects. Gentlemen/Ladies Skechers Street Women's Darma-Perforated Leather Sneaker superior Let our products go to the world Comfortable and naturalSkechers Women's Go Vulc 2-14567 Walking Shoe - Choose SZ/Color In today’s post, he prescribes five actions we can embrace both individually and as organizations to avoid confirmation bias and falling into cognitive thinking traps when confronting the ramifications of emergent technologies — Enjoy!]
In part I of my blog post, I advised those advocating for the development and/or fielding of technology to be mindful of the second/third order and possible “evil” effects. I defined “evil” as an unexpected and profound negative implication(s) of the adoption/adaption of a technology and related policy. I also recommended heeding the admonition of Tim Cook, Apple’s CEO, to take responsibility for our technological creations and have the courage to think things through their potential implications – both for the good and the bad.
But even if we as individuals are willing to challenge our assumptions and think broadly and imaginatively, we can still come up short. Why? The answer is due in part to the challenges of prediction and the fact we are human with both great cognitive abilities, but also weaknesses.
First, common sense and many theorists remind us that the future is unknowable.Skechers Skecher Street Womens Hi-Lite-Reptile Metallic SneakerDC Women's Trase V SE Skate Shoe - Choose SZ/ColorThe futurist Arthur C. Clark noted in 1962, “It is impossible to predict the future, and all attempts to do in any detail appear ludicrous within a very few years.” Within this fixed condition of unknowing, the U.S. Departments of Defense and the Army must make choices to determine:
– what capabilities we desire and its related technology;
– where to invest in research and development; and
As Michael E. Raynor pointed out in his book, Converse Women's Chuck Taylor All Star Madison Low Top Sneaker,, making choices and developing strategies, which include adopting new technology, where the future is unknowable and “deeply unpredictable” either produces monumental successes or monumental failures.Man/Woman Saucony Women's Kineta Relay Running Shoe flagship store product quality Popular tide shoesReebok Women's Astroride Walk Shoe - Choose SZ/Color For a company this can spell financial ruin, while for the Army, it can spell disaster and the loss of Soldiers’ lives and national treasure. Yet, we must also choose a “way ahead” – often by considering “boundaries” – in a sense the left and right limits – of potential implications.
Second, our ability to predict when technology will become available is often in error nor can we accurately determine its implications. For example, in a New York Times editorial on December 8, 1903, it noted: “A man carrying airplane will eventually be built, Adidas Lite Racer Women's Running Shoes AW3837ADIDAS WMNS STAN SMITH WONDER PINK Sneakers | CQ2812but only if mathematicians and engineers work steadily for the next ten million years.”5 The Wright Brothers first flight took place the following week, but it took decades for commercial and military aviation to evolve.
Each of the services has faced force modernization challenges due to the adoption of technologies that weren’t mature enough; whose capabilities were over-promised; or did not support operations in the envisioned Operational Environment. For the U.S. Army, Future Combat Systems (FCS) was the most obvious and recent example of this challenge – costing billions of dollars and, just as importantly, lost time and confidence.Adidas Women's Equipment Support ADV EQT Clear Brown/White Shoes BA7593 NEW!NEW ADIDAS WOMEN'S ORIGINALS SUPERSTAR SHOES [AC7163] WHITE//COLL NAVY
Third, in terms of future technology, predictions vary widely. For example, predictions by MIT’s Rodney Brooks and futurist/inventor Ray Kurzweil vary widely to the question – “What year do you think human-level Artificial Intelligence [AI, i.e., a true thinking machine] might be achieved with a 50% probability?” Kurzweil predicts AI (as defined) will be available in 2029, while Brooks is a bit more conservative – the year 2200 – a difference of over 170 years.NEW Womens Size 7 NEW BALANCE 8510 WB White Light Blue Running Sneakers ShoesWmns Nike Air Huarache Run Ultra BR Breeze Red Orange Womens Shoes 833292-800
While one can understand the difficulty of predicting when “general AI” will be available, other technologies offer similar difficulties. The vision of the “self-driving” autonomous vehicle was first written about and experimented with in the 1920s, yet technological limitations, legal concerns, customer fears, and other barriers make implementing this capability challenging.
Lastly, as Rodney Brooks has highlighted, Women Nike Air Max Thea Running Shoes Size 6.5 - 10 Black White 599409 020 maintains:
“we tend to overestimate the effect of a technology in the short run and underestimate the effect in the long run.”K-Swiss Women's The Classic '88
SECOND, THIRD ORDER AND EVIL EFFECTS
– intentionally focus on the positive effects of adopting a technology;
– ignore the experts and those who identify the potential downside of technology; and
– fail to think thorough the short, long, and potentially dangerous effects or dependencies – imaginatively.
We do this because we are human, and more often because we fall into the confirmation bias or other cognitive thinking traps that might affect our program or pet technology. As noted by RAND in Truth Decay:New Nike Air Max 1 Ultra Royal Mulberry Womens US Size 9.5Easy Spirit Gemela Slip On Sneakers Womens Athletic Casual Shoes
“Cognitive biases and the ways in which human beings process information and make decisions cause people to look for information, opinion, and analyses that confirm preexisting beliefs, to weigh experience more heavily than data and facts, and then to rely on mental shortcuts and the beliefs of those in the same social networks when forming opinions and making decisions.”9
Yet, the warning signs or signals for many unanticipated effects can be found simply by conducting a literature review of government, think tank, academic, and popular reports (to perhaps include science fiction). This may deter some, given the sheer volume of literature is often overwhelming, but contained within these reports are many of the challenges associated with future technology, such as: the potential for deep fakes, loss of privacy, hacking,WMNS Nike Air Max Command Women's Running Shoes, 397690 018 Size 8.5 NEWNew Balance Women's W1500 Stability Run Shoe-W, Pink/Yellow, 5.5 B US accidents, deception, and loss of industries/jobs.
At the national level, both the current and previous administrations published reports on AI, as has the Department of Defense – some more balanced in addressing of issues of fairness, safety, governance, and ethics.10
For example, using photo recognition to help law enforcement and others seems like a great idea, yet its use is increasingly being questioned. This past May, San Francisco became the first city to ban its use, and others may follow suit.11 While some question this decision to ban vice impose a moratorium until the technology produces less errors, the question remains – did the developers and policy makers consider if there would be push back to its introduction given its current performance?Sano Mephisto Black Patent Leather Walking Rocker Bottom Sneakers Shoes 8.5 US11Nike Women's In-season TR 7 Training Shoes 909009 003 Dark Grey Barely Volt What sources did they consult?
Another challenge is language. You’ve seen the commercials – “there is much we can do with AI” – in farming, business, and even beer making. While “AI” is a clever tag line, it may invoke unnecessary fear and misunderstanding. For example, I believe for most people equate “robotics” and “AI” with the “Terminator” franchise, raising the fear of uncontrolled autonomous military force overwhelming humanity. Even worse – under the moniker of “AI,” we will buy into “snake-oil” propositions.
We are at least decades away from “general AI” where a “system exhibits apparently intelligence behavior at least as advanced as a person” across the “full range of cognitive tasks,” but we continue to flaunt the use of “AI” without elaboration.Converse All Star Women's Ladies Girls CT Hi Top Platform Heel Trainers RRPNike Benassi Duo Ultra Women's Slides Black/White 819717-010
SOME ACTIONS TO TAKE
Embrace a learning organization. Popularized by Peter Senge’s The Fifth Discipline: The Art and Practice of the Learning Organization (1990), a learning organization is a place “where people continually expand their capacity to create the results they truly desire, where new and expansive patterns of thinking are nurtured, where collective aspiration is set free, and where people are continually learning how to learn together.”Man/Woman Air Max 90 JCRD premium High-quality luxurious Comfortable and natural While some question whether we can truly make a learning organization, Senge’s thinking may help solve our problem of identifying 2nd/3rd order and evil effects.
First, we must embrace new and expansive patterns of thinking. Force developers use the acronym – “DOTMPLF-P” as shorthand for Doctrine, Organization, Training, Materiel, Personnel, Leadership, Facilities, and Policy implications – yet other factors might be as important.
For example, trust in automated or robotics systems must be instilled and measured. In one poll, 73% of respondents noted they would be afraid of riding in a fully autonomous vehicle – up 10% points from the previous year.14 What if we develop a military autonomous vehicle or a leader-follower system and one or more of our host nation allies prohibits its use? What happens if an accident occurs and the host population protests, adidas Originals WMNS ZX Flux ADV Smooth Slip On women lifestyle sneakers multiASICS W's Gel-Cumulus 19 Running Shoe, Blue Prpl/Blk/Flsh Crl, 10 D(W) USarguing that the Americans don’t care for their safety?
Technologists and concept developers must move from being stove-piped in labs and single-focused to consider the broader view of technological implications across functions.
Embrace Humility. Given that we cannot predict the future and its potential consequences, developers must seek out diversified opinions, and more importantly, recognize divergent opinions.
Embrace the Data. In New York City during World War II, a small organization of some of the most brilliant minds in America worked in the office of the “Applied Mathematics Panel.” In Europe, the 8th U.S. Air Force suffered from devastating bomber losses. Anhu Women’s Hiking Shoe W Montara Waterproof Burgandy Sz 8.5Brooks Ghost 10 Running Shoe - Women's Size 9.5D,Primer Grey/Teal Victory/SilverLeaders wondered where best to reinforce the bombers with additional armor without significantly increasing their weight to improve survivability. Reports indicated returning bombers suffered gunfire hits over the wings and fuselage, but not in the tail or cockpits, so to the casual observer it made sense to reinforce the wings and fuselage where the damage was clearly visible.
Abraham Wald, a mathematician, worked on the problem. He noted that reinforcing the spots where damage was evident in returning aircraft wasn’t necessarily the best course of action, given that hits to the cockpit and tail were probably causing aircraft (and aircrew) losses during the mission. In a series of memorandums, he developed a “method of estimating plane vulnerability based on damage of survivors.” As Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s Sherlock Holmes noted more than 100 years ago, “It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”Women Platform Wedge Fashion Leather Sneaker Sport Ankle Boots High Heel CasualAsics RoadHawk FF Black/Mint Running Shoes Women's US Size 10 (B3,2)
Additionally, we need to reinforce our practice of performing quality literature reviews to aid in our identification of these issues.
Employ Skepticism and a Devil’s Advocate Approach. In 1587, the Roman Catholic Church created the position of Promoter of the Faith – commonly referred to as the Devil’s Advocate. To insure a candidate for sainthood met the qualification of being canonized, the role of the Devil’s Advocate was to be the skeptic (loyal to the institution), looking for reasons why not to canonize the individual. Similarly, Leaders must embrace the concept of employing a devil’s advocate approach to identifying 2nd/3rd order and evil effects of technology – if not designating a devil’s advocate with the right expertise to identify assumptions, risks, and effects. But creating any devil’s advocate or “risk identification” positions is only useful if their input is seriously considered.
Embrace the Suck. Lastly, if we are serious in identifying the 2nd/3rd order and evil effects, Skechers Womens Ladies You Walk Slip On Comfort Trainers Navyadidas Originals Womens Shoes | Tubular Defiant Fashion Sneakersto include identifying new dependencies, ethical issues, or other issues which challenge the adaption or development of a new technology or policy – then we must be honest, resilient, and tough. There will be setbacks, delays, and frustration.
Technology holds the power to improve and change our personal and professional lives. For the military, technology changes the ways wars are fought (i.e., the character of war), but it may also change the nature of war by potentially reducing the “human dimension” in war. If robotics, AI, and other technological developments eliminate “danger, physical exertion, intelligence and friction,”17 is war easier to wage? Will technology increase its potential frequency? Will technology create a further separation between the military and the population by decreasing the number of personnel needed? These may be some of the 2nd/3rd order and “evil” effects we need to consider.
If you enjoyed this post, please see Dr. Marsella’s previous post “Second/Third Order, and Evil Effects” – The Dark Side of Technology (New Balance Women’s 574 Shoes Sneakers - Size 5.5)
… as well as the following posts:Brooks Levitate Blue/Silver Running Shoes Women's US 10.5 (F2,7)Womens Nike Internationalist Dark Stucco Trainers 828407 015
– Vans Women Sk8-Hi Reissue DX - Tiles white leather true white VN08GJMSI, by Dr. Nir Buras