- 2017 Canvas European style Shoes Men's oxfords Casual Multi-size Fashion 7color
- NEW Converse Chuck Taylor AS 70 Hi Shoes MENS 10 Illusion Green 160520C $85.
- Men's Fashion Sneakers Air Cushion Casual Shoes Breathable Athletic Running Warm
- Ecco Size 12 to 12.5 M KALLUM White Leather Fashion Sneakers New Mens Shoes
- ALEXANDER WANG Suede Leather Chelsea Booties Size 37 Cut-Out Heels RRP€545
- Dolce Vita Bootie Ankle Boot Women size 6.5 Cheetah Hair
- JOAN BOYCE DOLLIE TAN STUDDED FAUX FUR LINNING BOOTS SIZE 10 - NEW
- Wolverine Ladies Piper 6" Composite Toe Waterproof Work Boot - 10180 - Size 10
- CLARKS Womens Acre Bridge Suede Closed Toe Ankle Fashion Boots, Sand, Size 9.0 Q
- Born Men's Brown Two-Eyelets Split Toe Leather Casual Derby Shoes - Size US 11
- S-1066231 New Salvatore Ferragamo Tapas Blue Gray Buc Suede Loafers Size US 7.5D
- Crocs Men's Swiftwater Flip Flop Sandals (202547) Size 11
- NEW! Reef Men's Smoothy Sandal Black Flip Flops 10 D(M) US Free Shipping Size 13
- NAOT FOOTWEAR WOMAN SHOES MARY JANES BROWN SIZE / US 8
- Men's Nike Kaishi Print Shoes Sneaker Size 10.5 Training Athletic Blue Orange K7
- MEN'S ADIDAS ORIGINALS SUPERSTAR FOUNDATION ALL WHITE US Sz 11.5
- Boots Men Fashion Fur Flock Winter Shoes Leather Ankle Booties Warm Casual Botas
- Non-Slip Mens Shoes Safety Comfort Men Work Wine Light Kitchen Bathroom Boots
- Wolverine Steel Toe Work Boots - Size 9 1/2 Men's - Brown - 84913
- Men's/Women's Over Shoe Boot Yellow Size 9 Modern and elegant fashion a variety of renewed on time
- Polo Ralph Lauren Brentwood brown shearling sheepskin suede ankle boots mens 10D
- Men Eddie Bauer Winter Snow Boots Size 9
- Stuart Weitzman Suede Walnut Midland Boots/Booties Size US 5 Regular (M, B)
- Valentino Black Rockstud Espadrille 39 (9) Flats Size US 9
- Men's Tassel Velvet Formal Business Suede Slip On Loafers Heel Shoes Round Toe
- Rockport Men's RocSports Lite Five Slip-On Dark Brown Casual Shoes
- [Adidas] AQ6861 SuperStar Vulc ADV Men Women Running Shoes Sneakers Black White
- Christian Louboutin Nude Palais Royal 120 Patent Leather Open Toe Heels Pumps Platforms Size EU 38.5 (Approx. US 8.5) Regular (M, B)
- Nike Men's Zoom Streak LT 2 Trail Running Shoes
- Nike New Men's Court Borough Trainers Running Shoes Black/Black
- Adidas Tubular Dawn Womens Style : Bz0629 Black/Black/Black Womens Size 10
- Nike Air Huarache Women's Gym Red/Gym Red/Sea Coral/Gum Light Brown A0524601
- Antonio Melani Women's Brown Leather Glove Fit Mid-Calf Boot Size 8M
- Women's Casual Round Toe Comfort Mid Calf Knee High Boots Hidden Wedge Heel Shoe
- Nike SB Dunk High 854851-414 Obsidian / Industrial Blue / White Gum
- Nike Air Huarache Mens Trainers Shoes Cool Grey/Crimson
- Blowfish Women's Bilocate Boot - Choose SZ/Color
- Rockport Women's Gail Stretch Ankle Bootie, Black Microsuede, 6.5 M US
- Kork-Ease Womens Brown Ankle Strap Flats Size 6 (404470)
- Womens Brand New KEEN Mary Jane Style Flats Size 9.5 US Genuine Leather BLUE
- NEW Womens Nordstrom BP Friyay Denim Loafers Shoes Size 11
- Via Spiga Galea 5 Slip On Sneaker - Women's Size 5M, Black
- Men's/Women's Tory burch Flats Many varieties New style Good quality
- 100% authentic Tory Burch platform slipon shoes sz 8.5 M
- Nike Air Force 1 Ultraforce GS Triple White Kids Boy Classic Shoe AF1 845128-101
- WMNS NIKE AIR MAX 90 325213 410 BINARY NAVY BLUE/OATMEAL TAN-WHITE-GUM SOLE
- NEW PRADA Pantofole Slip-On Leather Fashion Sneakers White Chrome Shoes Flats 39
- Gentle Souls Women's Gem Strappy Sandal Navy Nubuck Strappy Sandals
- Josef Seibel Women's Brown Leather Monk Strap Casual Comfort Shoes Size 37/6-6.5
- RARE VANS Madera Hemp Sz 11.5 Men’s Slip On. Hard To Find Good Condition
- Deer Stags Williamsburg Oxfords - Men's Size 9.5 M, Black
- Mens stylish ankle short Boots low heel high top causual zip low heel shoes new
- Supra Society Navy Mid Top Skateboarding Shoes Sneaker Size: 11.5 S46011 NIB
- Reebok Men's CL Runner Jacquard Classic Sneaker
- F50167 Ladies Quilted Mid Calf Boots Available in 2 Colours
- Santana Canada Black Waterproof Leather Ankle Boots Womens 8 Euro 39 Zip
- New Balance Womens Fresh Foam 1100 V1 Suede Winter Boot, Brown, Size 6.5
- CLARK'S Tall Black Leather Boots 11M Extra Wide Calf w/ Elastic 2" Heels SideZip
- Bottines à Boucles MANAS Cuir grainé Marron T 41 TBE
- $230 NUKTE Blue Red Suede Leather DERBY Casual Dress Oxfords Mens Shoes
- Cole Haan Original Grand WTIP Wingtip Shoes New Size 12 Buffalo Plaid C23414
- Summer Men's Beach Sandals Slippers Breathable Casual Shoes Strappy Gladiator US
- NWT Men's Brown EDDIE BAUER Leather Troy Bump Toe Sandal Shoes Size 9
- Born Mens Sandals M6517 Leather Fisherman Sz 11 US 45 EU Brown
- Man's/Woman's $139.99 Pointer Angus (navy) P15483I77701E economic Reliable performance Excellent stretching
- SUPRA STACKS II RED GREY WHITE MEN SHOES SIZE 9.5 & 13
- Hi-Tech Grenada Men's Hiking Boots Size 8 Brown (blk, orange, gray) New No Box
- Christian Louboutin Nude Jonatina Sandals Size US 11 Regular (M, B)
- Jimmy Choo Nude Rhinestone Gold Chain Tassle Pumps Size US 8.5 Regular (M, B)
- Tory Burch Eddie Ballet Flats Size US 6 Regular (M, B)
- Georgia Boot Georgia Giant Romeo - Brown - Mens
- SEAVEES Purveyors of California Chukka BOOTS Chocolate Brown MENS SHOES Sz 10.5
- MEN'S - J. CHISHOLM - BROWN WESTERN / COWBOY BOOTS - US SIZE 8 D
- Man/Woman Skechers Men's burgin-Sosder Industrial Boot Easy to use Skilled manufacturing Very good classification
- 6 In. Men XS Black Rubber Over The Shoe Work Boots Size 4-5.5 Punch Resistant
- NEW Thorogood 834-6246 Chukka Postal Police Fire Shoes
- Rocky FQ0006029 Mens Original Ride Trail Brown Steel Toe Western Work Boot
- Puma x Rihanna Fenty Slides Silver Pink-Puma Silver Slippers bow 365774 03
[Editor’s Note: In Part I of this series, Dr. Nick Marsella addressed the duty we have to examine our assumptions about emergent warfighting technologies / capabilities and their associated implications to identify potential second / third order and “evil” effects. New Balance Women's White Leather 928v3 Sneaker Sz 10.5 3098NEWTON LADY ISAAC S STABILITY 37.5-39.5 NEW kismet gravity motion distance In today’s post, he prescribes five actions we can embrace both individually and as organizations to avoid confirmation bias and falling into cognitive thinking traps when confronting the ramifications of emergent technologies — Enjoy!]
In part I of my blog post, I advised those advocating for the development and/or fielding of technology to be mindful of the second/third order and possible “evil” effects. I defined “evil” as an unexpected and profound negative implication(s) of the adoption/adaption of a technology and related policy. I also recommended heeding the admonition of Tim Cook, Apple’s CEO, to take responsibility for our technological creations and have the courage to think things through their potential implications – both for the good and the bad.
But even if we as individuals are willing to challenge our assumptions and think broadly and imaginatively, we can still come up short. Why? The answer is due in part to the challenges of prediction and the fact we are human with both great cognitive abilities, but also weaknesses.
First, common sense and many theorists remind us that the future is unknowable.Instride Newport Strap - Women's Leather Orthopedic Shoes - All Colors - All SizNIKE LUNARECLIPSE + 4 WOMAN SIZE 11.0 ATOMIC MANGO RUNNING NEWThe futurist Arthur C. Clark noted in 1962, “It is impossible to predict the future, and all attempts to do in any detail appear ludicrous within a very few years.” Within this fixed condition of unknowing, the U.S. Departments of Defense and the Army must make choices to determine:
– what capabilities we desire and its related technology;
– where to invest in research and development; and
As Michael E. Raynor pointed out in his book, ADIDAS WOMENS NMD R2 PRIMEKNIT ST MAJOR/SHOCK PINK BY9953 JAPAN, making choices and developing strategies, which include adopting new technology, where the future is unknowable and “deeply unpredictable” either produces monumental successes or monumental failures.Women's adidas Swift Run Casual Shoes Core Black/Ash Pearl/White B37717 BLKWomens Nike Huarache Run Print - 725076 301 - Teal Ghost Green Trainers For a company this can spell financial ruin, while for the Army, it can spell disaster and the loss of Soldiers’ lives and national treasure. Yet, we must also choose a “way ahead” – often by considering “boundaries” – in a sense the left and right limits – of potential implications.
Second, our ability to predict when technology will become available is often in error nor can we accurately determine its implications. For example, in a New York Times editorial on December 8, 1903, it noted: “A man carrying airplane will eventually be built, Nike Air Max Sequent 2 Womens 852465-002 Black Grey Knit Running Shoes Size 5.5Vibram FiveFingers V-Trail 17W6906 Grey Black Women's Shoes Size US 9-9.5 NEWbut only if mathematicians and engineers work steadily for the next ten million years.”5 The Wright Brothers first flight took place the following week, but it took decades for commercial and military aviation to evolve.
Each of the services has faced force modernization challenges due to the adoption of technologies that weren’t mature enough; whose capabilities were over-promised; or did not support operations in the envisioned Operational Environment. For the U.S. Army, Future Combat Systems (FCS) was the most obvious and recent example of this challenge – costing billions of dollars and, just as importantly, lost time and confidence.Adidas Equipment Racing 91/16 Women's Shoe Core Black/Turbo/White BA7589Nike Air Force 1 Upstep SE Womens 844877-600 Atomic Pink Orange Shoes Size 8
Third, in terms of future technology, predictions vary widely. For example, predictions by MIT’s Rodney Brooks and futurist/inventor Ray Kurzweil vary widely to the question – “What year do you think human-level Artificial Intelligence [AI, i.e., a true thinking machine] might be achieved with a 50% probability?” Kurzweil predicts AI (as defined) will be available in 2029, while Brooks is a bit more conservative – the year 2200 – a difference of over 170 years.NIKE WOMENS ROSHE ONE FLYKNIT CASUAL SNEAKERS PHOTO BLUE WHITE RED 704927 404GEOX SHAHIRA A NAPPA+PRINT.SYNT BLACK SNEAKERS sale d44n1a
While one can understand the difficulty of predicting when “general AI” will be available, other technologies offer similar difficulties. The vision of the “self-driving” autonomous vehicle was first written about and experimented with in the 1920s, yet technological limitations, legal concerns, customer fears, and other barriers make implementing this capability challenging.
Lastly, as Rodney Brooks has highlighted, WMNS NIKE SHOX GRAVITY NZ TURBO CLASSIC "TRIPLE WHITE" SZ 9 [AQ8554-100] maintains:
“we tend to overestimate the effect of a technology in the short run and underestimate the effect in the long run.”Nike Zoom All Out Low 2 Women's Shoes Select Size Midnight Fog/Black AJ0036-002
SECOND, THIRD ORDER AND EVIL EFFECTS
– intentionally focus on the positive effects of adopting a technology;
– ignore the experts and those who identify the potential downside of technology; and
– fail to think thorough the short, long, and potentially dangerous effects or dependencies – imaginatively.
We do this because we are human, and more often because we fall into the confirmation bias or other cognitive thinking traps that might affect our program or pet technology. As noted by RAND in Truth Decay:Puma Vikky Trainers Womens Olive Sports Trainers SneakersNike Air Max Sequent 2 Womens 852465-002 Black Grey Knit Running Shoes Size 6.5
“Cognitive biases and the ways in which human beings process information and make decisions cause people to look for information, opinion, and analyses that confirm preexisting beliefs, to weigh experience more heavily than data and facts, and then to rely on mental shortcuts and the beliefs of those in the same social networks when forming opinions and making decisions.”9
Yet, the warning signs or signals for many unanticipated effects can be found simply by conducting a literature review of government, think tank, academic, and popular reports (to perhaps include science fiction). This may deter some, given the sheer volume of literature is often overwhelming, but contained within these reports are many of the challenges associated with future technology, such as: the potential for deep fakes, loss of privacy, hacking,Nike Internationalist Jcrd Wntr Womens 859544-001 Silver Running Shoes Size 8* NEW * Brooks Pure Cadence 5 Womens Runner (B) (617) accidents, deception, and loss of industries/jobs.
At the national level, both the current and previous administrations published reports on AI, as has the Department of Defense – some more balanced in addressing of issues of fairness, safety, governance, and ethics.10
For example, using photo recognition to help law enforcement and others seems like a great idea, yet its use is increasingly being questioned. This past May, San Francisco became the first city to ban its use, and others may follow suit.11 While some question this decision to ban vice impose a moratorium until the technology produces less errors, the question remains – did the developers and policy makers consider if there would be push back to its introduction given its current performance?MINT Nike Women's Flyknit Max Size 9.5 41.5 Bright Crimson Green Blue Fade ICENike Free Viritous TP Tech Pack Womens 749566-001 Grey Training Shoes Size 11 What sources did they consult?
Another challenge is language. You’ve seen the commercials – “there is much we can do with AI” – in farming, business, and even beer making. While “AI” is a clever tag line, it may invoke unnecessary fear and misunderstanding. For example, I believe for most people equate “robotics” and “AI” with the “Terminator” franchise, raising the fear of uncontrolled autonomous military force overwhelming humanity. Even worse – under the moniker of “AI,” we will buy into “snake-oil” propositions.
We are at least decades away from “general AI” where a “system exhibits apparently intelligence behavior at least as advanced as a person” across the “full range of cognitive tasks,” but we continue to flaunt the use of “AI” without elaboration.women's shoes SKECHERS 11 () sneakers black textile BX189-41Nike Air Huarache Run Premium Womens 683818-201 Linen Snakeskin Shoes Size 7
SOME ACTIONS TO TAKE
Embrace a learning organization. Popularized by Peter Senge’s The Fifth Discipline: The Art and Practice of the Learning Organization (1990), a learning organization is a place “where people continually expand their capacity to create the results they truly desire, where new and expansive patterns of thinking are nurtured, where collective aspiration is set free, and where people are continually learning how to learn together.”Nike Air Huarache Premium Womens 683818-500 Violet Dust Running Shoes Size 6 While some question whether we can truly make a learning organization, Senge’s thinking may help solve our problem of identifying 2nd/3rd order and evil effects.
First, we must embrace new and expansive patterns of thinking. Force developers use the acronym – “DOTMPLF-P” as shorthand for Doctrine, Organization, Training, Materiel, Personnel, Leadership, Facilities, and Policy implications – yet other factors might be as important.
For example, trust in automated or robotics systems must be instilled and measured. In one poll, 73% of respondents noted they would be afraid of riding in a fully autonomous vehicle – up 10% points from the previous year.14 What if we develop a military autonomous vehicle or a leader-follower system and one or more of our host nation allies prohibits its use? What happens if an accident occurs and the host population protests, Nike Roshe One Flyknit Womens 704927-305 Voltage Green Running Shoes Size 8Nike Air Force 1 Upstep SE Womens 844877-600 Atomic Pink Orange Shoes Size 10.5arguing that the Americans don’t care for their safety?
Technologists and concept developers must move from being stove-piped in labs and single-focused to consider the broader view of technological implications across functions.
Embrace Humility. Given that we cannot predict the future and its potential consequences, developers must seek out diversified opinions, and more importantly, recognize divergent opinions.
Embrace the Data. In New York City during World War II, a small organization of some of the most brilliant minds in America worked in the office of the “Applied Mathematics Panel.” In Europe, the 8th U.S. Air Force suffered from devastating bomber losses. Nike Air Max Sequent 3 Camo Womens AJ0005-101 Grey Punch Running Shoes Size 11Hush Puppies Women's Meree Madrine Mary Jane Black Full Grain Leather SneakersLeaders wondered where best to reinforce the bombers with additional armor without significantly increasing their weight to improve survivability. Reports indicated returning bombers suffered gunfire hits over the wings and fuselage, but not in the tail or cockpits, so to the casual observer it made sense to reinforce the wings and fuselage where the damage was clearly visible.
Abraham Wald, a mathematician, worked on the problem. He noted that reinforcing the spots where damage was evident in returning aircraft wasn’t necessarily the best course of action, given that hits to the cockpit and tail were probably causing aircraft (and aircrew) losses during the mission. In a series of memorandums, he developed a “method of estimating plane vulnerability based on damage of survivors.” As Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s Sherlock Holmes noted more than 100 years ago, “It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”NIKE W Nike Flex Trainer 7 898479-100 WHITE Size 6Nina Women's Taela Pointed Toe Slingback Ivory Satin
Additionally, we need to reinforce our practice of performing quality literature reviews to aid in our identification of these issues.
Employ Skepticism and a Devil’s Advocate Approach. In 1587, the Roman Catholic Church created the position of Promoter of the Faith – commonly referred to as the Devil’s Advocate. To insure a candidate for sainthood met the qualification of being canonized, the role of the Devil’s Advocate was to be the skeptic (loyal to the institution), looking for reasons why not to canonize the individual. Similarly, Leaders must embrace the concept of employing a devil’s advocate approach to identifying 2nd/3rd order and evil effects of technology – if not designating a devil’s advocate with the right expertise to identify assumptions, risks, and effects. But creating any devil’s advocate or “risk identification” positions is only useful if their input is seriously considered.
Embrace the Suck. Lastly, if we are serious in identifying the 2nd/3rd order and evil effects, Eastland Women's Laisee Penny Loafer Black Leather LoafersDolce Vita Women's Laken Wedge Sandal Black Leather Zipperto include identifying new dependencies, ethical issues, or other issues which challenge the adaption or development of a new technology or policy – then we must be honest, resilient, and tough. There will be setbacks, delays, and frustration.
Technology holds the power to improve and change our personal and professional lives. For the military, technology changes the ways wars are fought (i.e., the character of war), but it may also change the nature of war by potentially reducing the “human dimension” in war. If robotics, AI, and other technological developments eliminate “danger, physical exertion, intelligence and friction,”17 is war easier to wage? Will technology increase its potential frequency? Will technology create a further separation between the military and the population by decreasing the number of personnel needed? These may be some of the 2nd/3rd order and “evil” effects we need to consider.
If you enjoyed this post, please see Dr. Marsella’s previous post “Second/Third Order, and Evil Effects” – The Dark Side of Technology (ara Women's Remy 60939 Slip On Black Calf Slip-on Shoes)
… as well as the following posts:J. Renee Women's Mayetta Slingback Pump White Pearl SyntheticUnder Armour Women's Speedfit 2.0 Hiking Shoe - Choose SZ/Color
– New Balance Women's Vazee Wx77v1 Training Shoe Cross-Trainer - Choose SZ/Color, by Dr. Nir Buras