- Wet Seal 6956 Heeled Zip Booties, Brown, 6 M US Display
- *EUC* Umberto RAFFINI black SASHA slouch boot RPS1016 - suede - 40 (US 9 - 9.5)
- Lane Bryant Black Multi Strap Moto Boot Buckles Size Ladies 12 Wide Faux Leather
- PRADA MIU MIU women shoes sz 5 Europe 35 brown leather S6890 Made in Italy
- Mr/Ms ZINDA Shoes 259852 Brown 38 Reasonable price Quality First Fashion versatile shoes
- Rockport Mens Weather Adventure Plain Toe Oxford- Pick SZ/Color.
- Apex Men's Black Ambulator Stretchable Double Strap Shoes
- NEW SERAFINI ITALY LUXURY WASHED RUNNING SHOES BLACK 45
- Skechers USA Men's Bosnia Flip-FlopTan12 M US
- Pour La Victoire Womens Felina Montecarlo Loafers Shoes Vanilla Size 8 New
- MEN'S NIKE AIR JORDAN FLIGHT CLUB 90 BLACK/ROUGE 602661-601 SIZE 9
- NWOB Skechers Men's Go Walk Shoes (Black, 10.5)
- Men's Wolverine Steel Toe Boots Motor./Work Blk Leather USA 12 Med 03165
- Keen Louisville 6" Sz 10 M (D) Men's Steel Toe Utility Work Boots Brown
- Demonia TRASHVILLE-502 Vegan Boots Black Vegan Leather Biker Knee High
- Rockport Mens Brown Work & Safety Boots Size 11.5 (423728)
- Harley Davidson Boots Mens Sz 8 Euro 41 Black Leather Rockabilly Zip Sides
- Red Wing Shoes Style 105 Oxford Brown Size 8 1/2 D EH
- New Never Ever Made in IItaly Slip On Loafer Hand Made 45eu/12us Brown
- New 1st Quality Allen Edmonds Roanoke 8 D charcoal/olive nubuck leather
- Christian Louboutin Black Harler 100 Ankle Strap Pumps Size EU 38.5 (Approx. US 8.5) Regular (M, B)
- YEEZY Tan Adidas Boost 350 "Oxford Tan" (Never Been Worn - New with Tags) Sneakers Size US 6 Regular (M, B)
- Black Fiume Sandals Size EU 38.5 (Approx. US 8.5) Regular (M, B)
- Discontinued SABO GYM Olympic Weightlifting Shoes Black Size 45 EUR/12-12.5 US
- special hand painted nike air force 1 2007
- Nike Train Speed 4 Men Running Shoes 843937 103 NEW Multiple Sizes White Black
- adidas Women's Lux Clima w Running Shoe, Core Black/Carbon/Core Black, 11.5 M US
- Nike Wmns Air Max 1 Ultra
- 100% Brand New Women's Running Shoes Nike Air Zoom Pegasus 32
- Brinley Co Women's Akara Ankle Boot, Grey, 6 Regular US
- Nike Tennis Classic Ultra LTHR Mens Trainers 749644 100 Sneakers Shoes
- NIKE SFB 6” SPECIAL FIELD BOOT SZ 11.5 DARK TEAM RED GUM LEATHER 862507 600
- Womens Denim Leather Pieced Block Heel Pointy Toe Scratch Knee High Boots Shoes
- CLARKS Women's Rosalyn Clara Rain Boot, Black Waterproof Leather, 5 M US
- Mel by Melissa Womens Black Bow D'Orsay Flats Rubber Size US 9 (8.5 US)
- Aquatalia Womens Multi-Color Oxfords Size 6 (347254)
- Naturalizer Women's Geonna Ballet Flat,, Brown, Size 7.5 K8pI
- Melvin & HamiltonClaire 1 - Mocassini Donna , Marrone 42
- NEW DANSKO WOMEN'S JESSICA SLIP-ON BLACK NAPPA LEATHER 36 6 MEDIUM $145
- AUTHENTIC MIU MIU PATENT STRAP PUMPS BLACK GRADE NS USED - HP
- Nike Dunk Low Skinny PRM Premium Sail Luster Womens Shoes 705214-100 SIZE 9.5
- Nike Air Huarache Run Prime Fleece iD White/Pink Rare Fruit Loop’s Nike Lab SZ 8
- New Balance Made In USA WR993ARM (Dead Stock) Wmns 10.5, 11, 12
- Jimmy Choo Women's Shoes Pumps - LANCER85GLE | Champagne | Fall Winter 18/19
- Man's/Woman's Andre Assous Women's Laura Engineer Boot Elegant shape New in stock Explosive good goods
- NEW Converse Chuck Taylor Leather Hi Black Fleece Inner 154134C US Mens 9.5
- Mens Banana Republic Dark Brown Suede Leather Oxford Shoes 9 M
- ECCO Oxford Casual Shoes Black Leather Men's 45
- Very Nice! Robert Wayne Jacob Black Leather Shoes Western Loafers Mens Size 10
- Prada Men Sandal Multi Straps 10 1/2
- Black Pair Of Leather Upper Manmade Ankle Boots size 38 1/2 M by Pandora
- NEW Womens Khombu Julliard Winter Snow Boot Tan / Black - Choose Your Size!
- Italian 8100 Melrose Leather Tassled Lug Sole Ankle Boot
- Rocket Dog VANCOUVERGG Womens Vancouver Graham Pu-Glazed Fabric Ankle Bootie
- Cole Haan Knee High Boot, Chocolate Brown Suede
- PUMA Men's Enzo Woven Sneaker - Choose SZ/Color
- Georgia Giant Romeo Steel Toe Work Shoe
- Mark Nason HARDEE DRESSKNIT MENS OXFORD SHOES BROWN NEW
- NWT Men's MARGARITAVILLE Brown St. Martin Leather Slides Sandals Shoes Size 9 US
- T.U.K. Womens Day Of The Dead Kitty Ballet Flat- Pick SZ/Color.
- Adidas Alphabounce Men's Black Athletic Running Sneakers Size 9.5
- Athletech Men's Sprint Running Tennis Shoes Sneakers - White/Blue/Black Sz 7M
- Mens Merrell Waterproof Vibram Boots Col Mid Wp/Coffee Bean Size 9.5
- Rocky Jasper Trac Insulated Outdoor Boot Brown FQ0004799
- Stacy Adams Mens Wyler Chukka Boot Navy Suede Size 10 M US
- Men Pray Metal Silver Chains Fashion Western Shoe Boots Black Strap Motorcycle
- Johnston Murphy Chukka Ankle Boots Brown 20-6294 Mens Size 10M
- Laredo Cowboy Boots Mens Size 7.5 D Light Brown
- Men's/Women's Demonia CREEPER-440 Men's Creepers Comfortable feeling Modern and stylish fashion Official website
- Christian Louboutin White Decollete 554 100 Glitter Luminor Edelweiss Pumps Size US 10
- Tory Burch Gold / Red / Navy New Flip Flops Sandals Size US 10 Regular (M, B)
- Frye Turquoise Quincy Woven Boat Flats Size US 7.5 Regular (M, B)
- Nike Air Zoom Talaria 16 OG / LE Mens Running Shoes Retro Sneakers Pick 1
- Nike Stefan Janoski Max Black/Black-Max Orange Men's 631303-014 SZ 10.5
- Adidas Superstar Slip ON CQ2381 white halfshoes：Gentleman/Lady：Trendy
- Adidas X 16.1 FG Soccer Cleats Red/Black BB5618 Men Sz 9, 10, 12
- Men's Warm Floor Non-Slip Slippers Cotton Home Shoes Plush Sandals Size 10 11
- MAG Black Leather Boots - Size 8
- Twisted X Casual Shoes Womens Driving Moc 7.5 M Multi-Color WCA0021
- NEW Womens ADIDAS Cloadfoam City AW4752 Grey Pink White Running Sneakers Shoes
- Nike Air Max Prime - White - Mens
- Air Jordan 13 Hornets Navy | 100% Authentic | Pre-Owned | Sz 7Y
- NIB ~ Lucky Brand ~ LK LAHELA ~ Charcoal Aurora ~ Metallic ~ Size 9 ~ Sold Out
- DINGO MOLLY 10" BLACK LEATHER HARNESS WOMEN'S WESTERN BOOTS DI07370 * ALL SIZES
- New Women's Gabor Jollys Sneaker Shoes Size 37 (6 - 6.5) Black & White Slip-On
- Stuart Weitzman Size 9 Brown Sneakers Retail $425 )
- Womens Suede Leather Flat Creeper Shoes Hidden Wedge Heels Casual Ankle Boots SZ
- Womens Cole Haan Pinch Grand Penny Loafers Gold Leather NEW
- Men's/Women's naturalizer Lucie D'Orsay Flats, Grey Fog Elegant and sturdy set meal Elegant and sturdy packaging General product
- AUTHENTIC CHLOE CALF LEATHER BALLETRINA FLATS GRAY 36 GRADE B USED - HP
- New Balance Indigo Pack 696 Classic Sneakers 1358 Size 7.5 B
- Nike W Air Force 1 '07 SE PRM Premium Bio Beige/Metallic Silver AH6827-200 AF1
- NEW REEBOK WOMENS ULTRA CIRCUIT TR ULTRAKNIT
- TOM FORD Women's Green Flat High Top Leather Sneakers Shoes US 8 NEW
- EMU Women's Lavinia Perf Oxford Rose Gold Leather Oxfords
- Josef Seibel Size US 9 9.5 Brown Leather Oxfords New Mens Shoes
- SANDRO COMFORT WALK SLIP-ON LOAFERS SHOES Size: 11.5D TAN LEATHER VERY NICE
- DREW Mens Traveler Diabetic Comfort Walking Shoe Double Strap Black Leather 8.5W
- Borelli Riviera Cap Toe Black Leather Oxfords Mens Size US 13 Used Shoes
- NAUTICA MEN'S FASHION CANVAS SNEAKER SHOE Sz 8 WHITE
- Hush Puppies Womens Ankle Boots Booties Shoes Corie Imagery Brown Leather Sz 9.5
- Carlos by Carlos Santana Brown Suede "Polly" Peep Toe Ankle Booties - sz. 9 NEW
- Privileged Brown/Pink 5.5" Heel 2" Platform Sexy Ankle Boot Size 7.5
- BUTTER "Dished" Over The Knee Flat Heel Boots Taupe 37(EU) - 7(US) - New In Box
- Joie Women's Lakia Fashion Boot, Black, 41 M EU (11 US)
[Editor’s Note: In Part I of this series, Dr. Nick Marsella addressed the duty we have to examine our assumptions about emergent warfighting technologies / capabilities and their associated implications to identify potential second / third order and “evil” effects. Nike Bruin QS Leather Men's Trainer Shoes Black White Sz 11 *NEWNike KD 5 "DMV" 554988-610 Bright Crimson 10.5 Kevin Durant V In today’s post, he prescribes five actions we can embrace both individually and as organizations to avoid confirmation bias and falling into cognitive thinking traps when confronting the ramifications of emergent technologies — Enjoy!]
In part I of my blog post, I advised those advocating for the development and/or fielding of technology to be mindful of the second/third order and possible “evil” effects. I defined “evil” as an unexpected and profound negative implication(s) of the adoption/adaption of a technology and related policy. I also recommended heeding the admonition of Tim Cook, Apple’s CEO, to take responsibility for our technological creations and have the courage to think things through their potential implications – both for the good and the bad.
But even if we as individuals are willing to challenge our assumptions and think broadly and imaginatively, we can still come up short. Why? The answer is due in part to the challenges of prediction and the fact we are human with both great cognitive abilities, but also weaknesses.
First, common sense and many theorists remind us that the future is unknowable.NIKE AIR JORDAN ULTRA FLY 2 NAVY UNIVERSITY BLUE 897998-405 size 9Rare Jordan Promo Samples Super.Fly 5 PO Black/Uni Red 16 Blake Griffin ClippersThe futurist Arthur C. Clark noted in 1962, “It is impossible to predict the future, and all attempts to do in any detail appear ludicrous within a very few years.” Within this fixed condition of unknowing, the U.S. Departments of Defense and the Army must make choices to determine:
– what capabilities we desire and its related technology;
– where to invest in research and development; and
As Michael E. Raynor pointed out in his book, Nike Kobe 10 X Elite EXT QS Mid White Gum Black Mamba 802366-100 Mens Size 12, making choices and developing strategies, which include adopting new technology, where the future is unknowable and “deeply unpredictable” either produces monumental successes or monumental failures.NIKE JORDAN ECLIPSE CHUKKA MENS SHOES WHITE /RED/ BLACK 881453 101 SIZE 11.5NEW SZ 8.5 NIKE LEBRON X NSW LIFESTYLE NRG NIGHT STADIUM 582553-001 For a company this can spell financial ruin, while for the Army, it can spell disaster and the loss of Soldiers’ lives and national treasure. Yet, we must also choose a “way ahead” – often by considering “boundaries” – in a sense the left and right limits – of potential implications.
Second, our ability to predict when technology will become available is often in error nor can we accurately determine its implications. For example, in a New York Times editorial on December 8, 1903, it noted: “A man carrying airplane will eventually be built, Mens Nike Air Precision Basketball Shoes Size 11 Red/White (898455 600)Mens Nike Air Max Barkley Grey Blue Basketball Shoes Size 9 US 488119-010but only if mathematicians and engineers work steadily for the next ten million years.”5 The Wright Brothers first flight took place the following week, but it took decades for commercial and military aviation to evolve.
Each of the services has faced force modernization challenges due to the adoption of technologies that weren’t mature enough; whose capabilities were over-promised; or did not support operations in the envisioned Operational Environment. For the U.S. Army, Future Combat Systems (FCS) was the most obvious and recent example of this challenge – costing billions of dollars and, just as importantly, lost time and confidence.SALE Nike Free Trainer V7 Week Zero Ohio State Buckeyes OSU AA0881-605 DS Sz 10Nike Air Presto X DB SIZE 9 Hyper Jade/Black-White
Third, in terms of future technology, predictions vary widely. For example, predictions by MIT’s Rodney Brooks and futurist/inventor Ray Kurzweil vary widely to the question – “What year do you think human-level Artificial Intelligence [AI, i.e., a true thinking machine] might be achieved with a 50% probability?” Kurzweil predicts AI (as defined) will be available in 2029, while Brooks is a bit more conservative – the year 2200 – a difference of over 170 years.Nike KYRIE 4 "OBSIDIAN" 943806 401 Size 10.5NIKE Men's PG 1 Game Royal/White-Black
While one can understand the difficulty of predicting when “general AI” will be available, other technologies offer similar difficulties. The vision of the “self-driving” autonomous vehicle was first written about and experimented with in the 1920s, yet technological limitations, legal concerns, customer fears, and other barriers make implementing this capability challenging.
Lastly, as Rodney Brooks has highlighted, rare NIKE KD 8 ELITE "HOME" KEVIN DURANT White Star Photo Blue 834185-144 mens 8 maintains:
“we tend to overestimate the effect of a technology in the short run and underestimate the effect in the long run.”NIKE ZOOM CLEAR OUT BASKETBALL SHOES MENS SIZE 9 BRAND NEW BLACK/WHITE
SECOND, THIRD ORDER AND EVIL EFFECTS
– intentionally focus on the positive effects of adopting a technology;
– ignore the experts and those who identify the potential downside of technology; and
– fail to think thorough the short, long, and potentially dangerous effects or dependencies – imaginatively.
We do this because we are human, and more often because we fall into the confirmation bias or other cognitive thinking traps that might affect our program or pet technology. As noted by RAND in Truth Decay:Nike Air Jordan 1 Low Nouveau, Team Red / Gym Red, 2013, Retail $120, Size 12New Nike ROSHE ONE Casual Shoes 11881-606 Port Wine Black Mens Rosherun Run c1
“Cognitive biases and the ways in which human beings process information and make decisions cause people to look for information, opinion, and analyses that confirm preexisting beliefs, to weigh experience more heavily than data and facts, and then to rely on mental shortcuts and the beliefs of those in the same social networks when forming opinions and making decisions.”9
Yet, the warning signs or signals for many unanticipated effects can be found simply by conducting a literature review of government, think tank, academic, and popular reports (to perhaps include science fiction). This may deter some, given the sheer volume of literature is often overwhelming, but contained within these reports are many of the challenges associated with future technology, such as: the potential for deep fakes, loss of privacy, hacking,Nike Mercurial Victory VI 6 DF NJR FG Neymar JR. Cleats Size 9.5 ( 921506-400 )NIKE Air Jordan 3 Black Cement 3 Sz 5 Virgil Abloh C/O off White Kid Cudi accidents, deception, and loss of industries/jobs.
At the national level, both the current and previous administrations published reports on AI, as has the Department of Defense – some more balanced in addressing of issues of fairness, safety, governance, and ethics.10
For example, using photo recognition to help law enforcement and others seems like a great idea, yet its use is increasingly being questioned. This past May, San Francisco became the first city to ban its use, and others may follow suit.11 While some question this decision to ban vice impose a moratorium until the technology produces less errors, the question remains – did the developers and policy makers consider if there would be push back to its introduction given its current performance?Men's 10.5 Nike Air Jordan Flight Club 91 Retro 6 Leather Shoes White 555475897998 001 AIR JORDAN ULTRA FLY 2 BLACK VARSITY RED WHITE SIZE 8-12 MENS What sources did they consult?
Another challenge is language. You’ve seen the commercials – “there is much we can do with AI” – in farming, business, and even beer making. While “AI” is a clever tag line, it may invoke unnecessary fear and misunderstanding. For example, I believe for most people equate “robotics” and “AI” with the “Terminator” franchise, raising the fear of uncontrolled autonomous military force overwhelming humanity. Even worse – under the moniker of “AI,” we will buy into “snake-oil” propositions.
We are at least decades away from “general AI” where a “system exhibits apparently intelligence behavior at least as advanced as a person” across the “full range of cognitive tasks,” but we continue to flaunt the use of “AI” without elaboration.Nike Roshe Run "Marble" Men's Shoes 669985 200 Olive Volt 11 Brand NewNike KD8 Kevin Durant M Mens Us Size 11 ( No Box cover)
SOME ACTIONS TO TAKE
Embrace a learning organization. Popularized by Peter Senge’s The Fifth Discipline: The Art and Practice of the Learning Organization (1990), a learning organization is a place “where people continually expand their capacity to create the results they truly desire, where new and expansive patterns of thinking are nurtured, where collective aspiration is set free, and where people are continually learning how to learn together.”2011 NIKE SB JANOSKI MID NAVY CITY BLUE ORIGINAL RELEASE SUPREME ULTRA BOOST While some question whether we can truly make a learning organization, Senge’s thinking may help solve our problem of identifying 2nd/3rd order and evil effects.
First, we must embrace new and expansive patterns of thinking. Force developers use the acronym – “DOTMPLF-P” as shorthand for Doctrine, Organization, Training, Materiel, Personnel, Leadership, Facilities, and Policy implications – yet other factors might be as important.
For example, trust in automated or robotics systems must be instilled and measured. In one poll, 73% of respondents noted they would be afraid of riding in a fully autonomous vehicle – up 10% points from the previous year.14 What if we develop a military autonomous vehicle or a leader-follower system and one or more of our host nation allies prohibits its use? What happens if an accident occurs and the host population protests, NIKE AIR FOOTSCAPE MAGISTA FLYKNIT SZ 12 BLACK BRIGHT CRIMSON RED 816560 002Nike Zoom Attero Basketball Slate Blue Athletic Casual Sneakers Shoes Mens 10.5arguing that the Americans don’t care for their safety?
Technologists and concept developers must move from being stove-piped in labs and single-focused to consider the broader view of technological implications across functions.
Embrace Humility. Given that we cannot predict the future and its potential consequences, developers must seek out diversified opinions, and more importantly, recognize divergent opinions.
Embrace the Data. In New York City during World War II, a small organization of some of the most brilliant minds in America worked in the office of the “Applied Mathematics Panel.” In Europe, the 8th U.S. Air Force suffered from devastating bomber losses. NIke SB BLAZER ZOOM LOW XT White Prism Pink Black 864348-160 (661) Men's ShoesNike Air Max 90 Ultra 2.0 Flyknit 875943-600 Men's Size 9.5 DSLeaders wondered where best to reinforce the bombers with additional armor without significantly increasing their weight to improve survivability. Reports indicated returning bombers suffered gunfire hits over the wings and fuselage, but not in the tail or cockpits, so to the casual observer it made sense to reinforce the wings and fuselage where the damage was clearly visible.
Abraham Wald, a mathematician, worked on the problem. He noted that reinforcing the spots where damage was evident in returning aircraft wasn’t necessarily the best course of action, given that hits to the cockpit and tail were probably causing aircraft (and aircrew) losses during the mission. In a series of memorandums, he developed a “method of estimating plane vulnerability based on damage of survivors.” As Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s Sherlock Holmes noted more than 100 years ago, “It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”NEW NIKE FREE RN 2017 ID RUNNING SHOES MENS 11 Grey/Blue AA1615-992 $120.NIKE AIR JORDAN 1 KO HIGH OG MEN`S SHOES TRAINING RUNNING SNEAKERS NEW SZ 14
Additionally, we need to reinforce our practice of performing quality literature reviews to aid in our identification of these issues.
Employ Skepticism and a Devil’s Advocate Approach. In 1587, the Roman Catholic Church created the position of Promoter of the Faith – commonly referred to as the Devil’s Advocate. To insure a candidate for sainthood met the qualification of being canonized, the role of the Devil’s Advocate was to be the skeptic (loyal to the institution), looking for reasons why not to canonize the individual. Similarly, Leaders must embrace the concept of employing a devil’s advocate approach to identifying 2nd/3rd order and evil effects of technology – if not designating a devil’s advocate with the right expertise to identify assumptions, risks, and effects. But creating any devil’s advocate or “risk identification” positions is only useful if their input is seriously considered.
Embrace the Suck. Lastly, if we are serious in identifying the 2nd/3rd order and evil effects, KD 7 Home/away Blue OrangeNIKE DUNK LOW PRO SB DIGI CAMO WOLF GREY MEDIUM OLIVE SAIL 304292 054 SZ 8to include identifying new dependencies, ethical issues, or other issues which challenge the adaption or development of a new technology or policy – then we must be honest, resilient, and tough. There will be setbacks, delays, and frustration.
Technology holds the power to improve and change our personal and professional lives. For the military, technology changes the ways wars are fought (i.e., the character of war), but it may also change the nature of war by potentially reducing the “human dimension” in war. If robotics, AI, and other technological developments eliminate “danger, physical exertion, intelligence and friction,”17 is war easier to wage? Will technology increase its potential frequency? Will technology create a further separation between the military and the population by decreasing the number of personnel needed? These may be some of the 2nd/3rd order and “evil” effects we need to consider.
If you enjoyed this post, please see Dr. Marsella’s previous post “Second/Third Order, and Evil Effects” – The Dark Side of Technology (NIKE ROSHE LD - 1000 SZ 9 WOOL BLACK VACHETTA TAN LEATHER 844266 001)
– 819720 102 NIKE CORTEZ BASIC NYLON WHITE NEUTRAL INDIGO MEN SNEAKERS SIZE 10, by Dr. Nir Buras