- Wet Seal 6956 Heeled Zip Booties, Brown, 6 M US Display
- *EUC* Umberto RAFFINI black SASHA slouch boot RPS1016 - suede - 40 (US 9 - 9.5)
- Lane Bryant Black Multi Strap Moto Boot Buckles Size Ladies 12 Wide Faux Leather
- PRADA MIU MIU women shoes sz 5 Europe 35 brown leather S6890 Made in Italy
- Mr/Ms ZINDA Shoes 259852 Brown 38 Reasonable price Quality First Fashion versatile shoes
- Rockport Mens Weather Adventure Plain Toe Oxford- Pick SZ/Color.
- Apex Men's Black Ambulator Stretchable Double Strap Shoes
- NEW SERAFINI ITALY LUXURY WASHED RUNNING SHOES BLACK 45
- Skechers USA Men's Bosnia Flip-FlopTan12 M US
- Pour La Victoire Womens Felina Montecarlo Loafers Shoes Vanilla Size 8 New
- MEN'S NIKE AIR JORDAN FLIGHT CLUB 90 BLACK/ROUGE 602661-601 SIZE 9
- NWOB Skechers Men's Go Walk Shoes (Black, 10.5)
- Men's Wolverine Steel Toe Boots Motor./Work Blk Leather USA 12 Med 03165
- Keen Louisville 6" Sz 10 M (D) Men's Steel Toe Utility Work Boots Brown
- Zamberlan 996 Vioz Gore-Tex Black Flax-STM Mens Mountaineering Boots US 11
- black Mens knee high boots zip pointed toe buckle strap motorcycle combat shoes
- Caterpillar, P90623, Safeway Mid St Steel Toe Cub
- Mens Size 9 Wide Brahma Steel Toe Leather Boots Black Slip & Oil Resistant 9EE
- Rivet Leather Slip on Casual Shoes Fashion Mens Hip Hop Comfort Sneakers Driving
- Mephisto Men's Baduard Venetian Brown Cool Air Loafers 1081 Sz 10.5 US 10 EUR
- Christian Louboutin Nude Highness Patent 40/Us Pumps Size US 9
- Giuseppe Zanotti Black Base Crystal Beaded Strappy High Heel Suede and Leather Sandals Size EU 41 (Approx. US 11) Regular (M, B)
- Diba Black Boots/Booties Size US 10 Regular (M, B)
- Mr/Ms: nike air huarache: Various goods
- Nike Lunar Fingertrap TR Cross Training Mens Shoes Black White NWOB 898066-001
- Nike PG 1 Navy Red White 878627 900
- Adidas Tubular Shadow Black-Black-Black Men's Trainers All Sizes
- Nike Metcon 2 Pure Platinum/Total Crimson-Hyper Volt 821913-002 Women's SZ 8
- Nine West Women's Cambridge Black Boots WIDE CALF 6.5M
- New Call It Spring Womens Legiaven Black Ankle Boots Size 6.5
- Nike Classic Cortez Nylon - 807472 101
- Air Jordan 10 X Retro Venom Green (GS) Kids 310806-033 3 iii 4 iv 11 concord
- Man/Woman Fabulicious FLAIR-402 the most convenient Order welcome Preferential price
- Columbia Men's Irrigon Trail Outdry Xtrm Hiking Shoe - Choose SZ/Color
- KAARI BLUE Carly Ballet Flats Perforated Memory Foam Shoes Black Sz 6.5M NEW $60
- CL by Chinese Laundry Women's Amuse Ballet Flat - Choose SZ/Color
- Sam Edelman Lida Espadrille Tribal Summer Multi Zebra Beaded Flats Sz 7m
- Cole Haan Womens Genevresam Closed Toe Ballet Flats, Grape, Size 6.0
- Gabor Amy Bow Trim Womens Ballerina Pumps
- $950 NEW CELINE US 9.5 Blue Pony Hair Flat Slipper Loafer Slip-On Shoes
- Ahnu Women's Precita Slip On Sneaker - Choose SZ/Color
- Puma Women's Trinomic Disc / Athletic / Running Sneakers 358071-01 Size: 6 - 8.5
- CN4623_Reebok Shoes – Workout Lo Plus purple/off-white/pink_2018_Women_nobuck_Nu
- 1710 adidas Originals M Attitude Revive Women's Sneakers Sports Shoes BY9754
- Troentorp Bastad Swedish Clogs: Durer, Navy Blue, Size 37
- OLUKAI NIB 10188 MEN'S NOHEA MESH SLIP ON SNEAKER SHOES SLIDES US 10
- GBX Slip On Casual Shoes Mens Size 12M Blue Style
- Dunham Mens Waterproof Suspension System Casual Brown Leather Loafers Size 14 D
- Sperry Top Sider Gray White Boat Shoe Men size 10 Gray, Mens Shoe Size 10
- Man's/Woman's Rockport Men's K71223 - Margin Durable service Order welcome At an affordable price
- Women’s Sz 6 Pink Hiking zip Boots North Face X2 200 g Insulation NO RESERVE!!!
- Totes Womens Boots Size 9 W Black Quilted Faux Fur Lined Front Zip Winter Rain
- Womens Garnet Hill Fall Boots Brown Suede Leather Zip Up Made In Italy Size 8
- La Canadienne Size 8 Black Suede Waterproof Wedge Ankle Boots Canada
- NEW "Carmella" Nappa Leather Boots Wedge Heel- Size 41-RRP$229 -Made in Spain
- US6-10 New REAL Leather Comfort Skull Prints Loafer Fashion Men Driving Car Shoe
- NEW BALANCE 576 x Hanon 2005 Size 7.5
- Huf Ramondetta Size 8 US Black Hide Peter Ramondetta Skate Shoes Sneakers
- New Summer Jelly Shoes Men Beach Sandals Hollow Slippers Men Flip Flops Light
- JOSEF SEIBEL Ladies 'REBECCA 33' Clogs Patchwork BRANDY Sz. 5.5 M (36 EU) NIB
- Tommy Hilfiger Size 10 M Blue Canvas Sneakers New Girls Shoes
- WORLD SKATER SHOES GREAT CONDITION LEATHER SIZE 10.5 / 44.5 M GREY / WHT
- Cole Haan Owen Hi Top Steel Grey C13906 Size 8 (DISCOLORED) - BRAND NEW IN BOX!
- BlackHawk Warrior Wear Boot Light Assault Tan 83BT00CT Size 8.5 regular
- NEW IN BOX MEN'S 10.5 12 VOLCOM OUTLANDER HIKING BOOTS IN VINTAGE BROWN V4031595
- Mountain Gear Colt LE Black Ankle Boots Men's SZ 8.5
- Mens Boys Shiny Leather Rivet Punk Nightclub Fasguib Ankle Boots Sports Shoe Hot
- Alpine Swiss Beck Mens Genuine Suede Chukka Boots Gray 13 M US
- Skechers Work Telfin Comp Toe Mens Sneakers Black 11
- Hermès Burgundy/Black Faveur Pumps Size US 8 Regular (M, B)
- Frye Black Harness Motorcycle Boots/Booties Size US 9 Regular (M, B)
- Bettye Muller Brown Kitten Heel Pumps Size US 6.5 Regular (M, B)
- Nike Air Zoom Huarache 2K4 MPLS Wolf Grey Blue Size 11.5. 308475-002
- Nike Air Flight Huarache Ultra Black/Black-White-Volt (880856 001) - SIZE 11-NIB
- adidas Performance Women's Lite Slip-On Running Shoe - Choose SZ/Color：Man's/Woman's：New Product 2018
- adidas Copa Tango 18.1 TR Men's Trainer Running Shoe CP8998 Black/Black
- Old Friend Footwear Mens Genuine Sheepskin Loafer Moccasin Slipper - M thru 5E
- Womens Over Knee Boots Chunky High Heels Stretch Slim Knight Side Zip Shoes M500
- Men's/Women's Pikolinos Santiago Mens Lightweight Casual Shoes Various goods Win highly appreciated high quality product
- Ladies adidas Originals Womens Tubular Defiant Trainers
- Nike Air Jordan Eclipse Chukka Mens Basketball Trainers Size /NEW
- mens Nike Air Max Flyposite Purple Black Mens 536850-010 Sz 11 EUC! L@@K!
- Twisted Women's AMIRA Wide Width/Wide Calf Faux Leather Knee-High Western...
- Women Pointy Toe Wedge Heel Leather Side Zipper Fur Decor Winter Autumn Boots
- DANSKO WOMENS FRAN SAND TAN SUEDE MARY JANE TOP STITCH CLOGS SHOES US 9.5
- Aldo Sternatia Flat ‑ Women's, Bone Color, Size 7.5, NEW!
- JSport by Jambu Women's Cara Walking Shoe, Denim, 10 M US
- NIB Tory Burch Minnie Travel Ballet Flat - NATURAL LEOPARD
- Womens KEEN WINSLOW MJ brown leather Mary Jane shoes sz. 6 NEW!
- Jambu Women's Blossom Encore Flat, Red, 9 M US
- K-Swiss Hoke CMF-W Womens CMF Casual Shoe- Choose SZ/Color.
- Gentleman/Lady Dingo Women's Fashion 587/588 Comfortable feeling Sales Italy Global sales
- DZ426 MOMA US 7 shoes green suede women sneakers
- Authentic Asics Gel DS Trainer 22 Womens Running Shoe (B) (4920)
- Women's Alegria Debra Black Delicut Professional Nursing Shoe DEB-435
- CONVERSE JP PRO OX SHOES PALE PUTTY WHITE NEW AUSTRALIAN SELLER
- HAIG AND DUNN CUSTOM GRADE MENS SHOES SIZE 9 .5 D LEATHER UPPERS
- Nunn Bush Vince Brown Casual Non-slip Shoes Leather Oxfords Men's Size 12
- MEPHISTO ABEL BICYCLE TOE OXFORD LEATHER SHOES US 7.5 BROWN in VGUC
- Mens Dress Casual Fancy Slip On Loafers Studded Smokers Black/Silver STACY ADAMS
- Worthington Size 6.5M Black Faux Leather Ankle Booties Peep Toe Cut Out Heels
- Journee Collection Womens Rimi Closed Toe Ankle Fashion Boots Pink Size 8.5 IW
- Style & Co. Womens Rainne Closed Toe Mid-Calf Fashion Boots, Cognac, Size 7.0 7e
- DKNY Black Calf High Boots Women's Size 7.5
- Men's/Women's Tamaris 1-22410-21 Women Black Zealot Pumps Exquisite (middle) workmanship Comfortable touch Clearance sale
[Editor’s Note: In Part I of this series, Dr. Nick Marsella addressed the duty we have to examine our assumptions about emergent warfighting technologies / capabilities and their associated implications to identify potential second / third order and “evil” effects. I5 John Varvatos Red/Black Canvas Zipper Boots Men's 10 MDR. MARTENS MEN'S WALT CHELSEA BOOT BROWN WYOMING 9 MEDIUM 8 UK $110 In today’s post, he prescribes five actions we can embrace both individually and as organizations to avoid confirmation bias and falling into cognitive thinking traps when confronting the ramifications of emergent technologies — Enjoy!]
In part I of my blog post, I advised those advocating for the development and/or fielding of technology to be mindful of the second/third order and possible “evil” effects. I defined “evil” as an unexpected and profound negative implication(s) of the adoption/adaption of a technology and related policy. I also recommended heeding the admonition of Tim Cook, Apple’s CEO, to take responsibility for our technological creations and have the courage to think things through their potential implications – both for the good and the bad.
But even if we as individuals are willing to challenge our assumptions and think broadly and imaginatively, we can still come up short. Why? The answer is due in part to the challenges of prediction and the fact we are human with both great cognitive abilities, but also weaknesses.
First, common sense and many theorists remind us that the future is unknowable.Brown Leather Ankle Boot Shoe Vibram Soles , Size 8.5 BMen/Women Vintage 70's hiking boots flagship store Elegant style Superb craftsmanshipThe futurist Arthur C. Clark noted in 1962, “It is impossible to predict the future, and all attempts to do in any detail appear ludicrous within a very few years.” Within this fixed condition of unknowing, the U.S. Departments of Defense and the Army must make choices to determine:
– what capabilities we desire and its related technology;
– where to invest in research and development; and
– what to purchase and field.Gentleman/Lady xtreme black leather motorcycle boots 10M Excellent craft a good reputation in the world Tide shoes listJustin USA Made 2040 Mens 8 D Tall Leather Cowboy Western Boots Metal Heels g
As Michael E. Raynor pointed out in his book, SPERRY TOP-SIDER men CHUKKA WINTER Dress BOOTS Leather BROWN 8M NWOB, making choices and developing strategies, which include adopting new technology, where the future is unknowable and “deeply unpredictable” either produces monumental successes or monumental failures.DR. MARTENS MENS INDUSTRIAL 2295 IM STEEL TOE BOOTS GUACHO 7 MEDIUM 6 UK $125Men's KEEN Targhee Mid Waterproof WP Hiking Trail Boots Shoes Size US 11.5 For a company this can spell financial ruin, while for the Army, it can spell disaster and the loss of Soldiers’ lives and national treasure. Yet, we must also choose a “way ahead” – often by considering “boundaries” – in a sense the left and right limits – of potential implications.
Second, our ability to predict when technology will become available is often in error nor can we accurately determine its implications. For example, in a New York Times editorial on December 8, 1903, it noted: “A man carrying airplane will eventually be built, Pikolinos Mens 42 8.5 9 Dark Brown Leather Chelsea Ankle Boots gJUSTIN 3133 Black Leather Classic Roper Western Cowboy Boots Men's Size 8.5 Dbut only if mathematicians and engineers work steadily for the next ten million years.”5 The Wright Brothers first flight took place the following week, but it took decades for commercial and military aviation to evolve.
Each of the services has faced force modernization challenges due to the adoption of technologies that weren’t mature enough; whose capabilities were over-promised; or did not support operations in the envisioned Operational Environment. For the U.S. Army, Future Combat Systems (FCS) was the most obvious and recent example of this challenge – costing billions of dollars and, just as importantly, lost time and confidence.AIGLE Knee High Wellington Boots Size 49 Black ACTIGRIP Sole RRP€152Men Winter Snow Boot Sz 11 Black Grey New
Third, in terms of future technology, predictions vary widely. For example, predictions by MIT’s Rodney Brooks and futurist/inventor Ray Kurzweil vary widely to the question – “What year do you think human-level Artificial Intelligence [AI, i.e., a true thinking machine] might be achieved with a 50% probability?” Kurzweil predicts AI (as defined) will be available in 2029, while Brooks is a bit more conservative – the year 2200 – a difference of over 170 years.Men's Kenneth Cole Brown Pebbled Leather Wingtip Ankle Boots Sz 9 AALABO Men's Winter Snow Work Boots Waterproof Insulated 104 (Black)
While one can understand the difficulty of predicting when “general AI” will be available, other technologies offer similar difficulties. The vision of the “self-driving” autonomous vehicle was first written about and experimented with in the 1920s, yet technological limitations, legal concerns, customer fears, and other barriers make implementing this capability challenging.
Lastly, as Rodney Brooks has highlighted, AIGLE Knee High Wellington Boots Size 49 Brown ACTIGRIP Sole RRP€152 maintains:
“we tend to overestimate the effect of a technology in the short run and underestimate the effect in the long run.”Gentlemen/Ladies Mens Lug boots size 9 1/2 quality Sales Italy Simple
SECOND, THIRD ORDER AND EVIL EFFECTS
– intentionally focus on the positive effects of adopting a technology;
– ignore the experts and those who identify the potential downside of technology; and
– fail to think thorough the short, long, and potentially dangerous effects or dependencies – imaginatively.
We do this because we are human, and more often because we fall into the confirmation bias or other cognitive thinking traps that might affect our program or pet technology. As noted by RAND in Truth Decay:Men's Fashion Safety Steel Toe Breathable Work Boots Hiking Climbing Shoes BlackCONVERSE Tactical Security Military Uniform Boots Men's Size 7.5 M C8875
“Cognitive biases and the ways in which human beings process information and make decisions cause people to look for information, opinion, and analyses that confirm preexisting beliefs, to weigh experience more heavily than data and facts, and then to rely on mental shortcuts and the beliefs of those in the same social networks when forming opinions and making decisions.”9
Yet, the warning signs or signals for many unanticipated effects can be found simply by conducting a literature review of government, think tank, academic, and popular reports (to perhaps include science fiction). This may deter some, given the sheer volume of literature is often overwhelming, but contained within these reports are many of the challenges associated with future technology, such as: the potential for deep fakes, loss of privacy, hacking,NOCONA MENS BLACK LEATHER COWBOY/WESTERN BOOTS SZ 12triple k leather 8 Hole boot zip with YK zipper accidents, deception, and loss of industries/jobs.
At the national level, both the current and previous administrations published reports on AI, as has the Department of Defense – some more balanced in addressing of issues of fairness, safety, governance, and ethics.10
For example, using photo recognition to help law enforcement and others seems like a great idea, yet its use is increasingly being questioned. This past May, San Francisco became the first city to ban its use, and others may follow suit.11 While some question this decision to ban vice impose a moratorium until the technology produces less errors, the question remains – did the developers and policy makers consider if there would be push back to its introduction given its current performance?Robert Wayne Mens Thomas Black Ankle Casual Boots Shoes 12 Medium (D) BHFO 9347Mens Size 9 felt lined snowmobile boots, Trax, Steel shank, 11 1/2" tall EUC What sources did they consult?
Another challenge is language. You’ve seen the commercials – “there is much we can do with AI” – in farming, business, and even beer making. While “AI” is a clever tag line, it may invoke unnecessary fear and misunderstanding. For example, I believe for most people equate “robotics” and “AI” with the “Terminator” franchise, raising the fear of uncontrolled autonomous military force overwhelming humanity. Even worse – under the moniker of “AI,” we will buy into “snake-oil” propositions.
We are at least decades away from “general AI” where a “system exhibits apparently intelligence behavior at least as advanced as a person” across the “full range of cognitive tasks,” but we continue to flaunt the use of “AI” without elaboration.HELLY HANSEN Men's Steel Toe 6" Work Boots Black/Orange 10EEMen Cowboy Texas Star Pair Boot Chain Silver Black Leather Strap Shoe Bracelet
SOME ACTIONS TO TAKE
Embrace a learning organization. Popularized by Peter Senge’s The Fifth Discipline: The Art and Practice of the Learning Organization (1990), a learning organization is a place “where people continually expand their capacity to create the results they truly desire, where new and expansive patterns of thinking are nurtured, where collective aspiration is set free, and where people are continually learning how to learn together.”LABO High Quality Men's Winter Snow Work Boots Shoes Insulated Waterproof N602 While some question whether we can truly make a learning organization, Senge’s thinking may help solve our problem of identifying 2nd/3rd order and evil effects.
First, we must embrace new and expansive patterns of thinking. Force developers use the acronym – “DOTMPLF-P” as shorthand for Doctrine, Organization, Training, Materiel, Personnel, Leadership, Facilities, and Policy implications – yet other factors might be as important.
For example, trust in automated or robotics systems must be instilled and measured. In one poll, 73% of respondents noted they would be afraid of riding in a fully autonomous vehicle – up 10% points from the previous year.14 What if we develop a military autonomous vehicle or a leader-follower system and one or more of our host nation allies prohibits its use? What happens if an accident occurs and the host population protests, vasque hiking Leather / Suede boots Sz 8.5 M Style M 03 Women'sMens Black Leather Cowboy Boots Size 8M In VERY GOOD CONDITION(202)arguing that the Americans don’t care for their safety?
Technologists and concept developers must move from being stove-piped in labs and single-focused to consider the broader view of technological implications across functions.
Embrace Humility. Given that we cannot predict the future and its potential consequences, developers must seek out diversified opinions, and more importantly, recognize divergent opinions.
Embrace the Data. In New York City during World War II, a small organization of some of the most brilliant minds in America worked in the office of the “Applied Mathematics Panel.” In Europe, the 8th U.S. Air Force suffered from devastating bomber losses. DAKOTA Men's 6'' 877 STEEL TOE STEEL PLATE Safety Work Boots Black/Yellow 8MDAN POST MENS BLACK LEATHER COWBOY BOOTS SZ 6.5 MLeaders wondered where best to reinforce the bombers with additional armor without significantly increasing their weight to improve survivability. Reports indicated returning bombers suffered gunfire hits over the wings and fuselage, but not in the tail or cockpits, so to the casual observer it made sense to reinforce the wings and fuselage where the damage was clearly visible.
Abraham Wald, a mathematician, worked on the problem. He noted that reinforcing the spots where damage was evident in returning aircraft wasn’t necessarily the best course of action, given that hits to the cockpit and tail were probably causing aircraft (and aircrew) losses during the mission. In a series of memorandums, he developed a “method of estimating plane vulnerability based on damage of survivors.” As Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s Sherlock Holmes noted more than 100 years ago, “It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”MENS CHELSEA CASUAL SMART WORK FAUX SUEDE BROGUE ANKLE SLIP ON BOOTS SHOES SIZENew Men's Polar Fox Brown Winter Ankle Boot Fold Down Fur Combat 506015
Additionally, we need to reinforce our practice of performing quality literature reviews to aid in our identification of these issues.
Employ Skepticism and a Devil’s Advocate Approach. In 1587, the Roman Catholic Church created the position of Promoter of the Faith – commonly referred to as the Devil’s Advocate. To insure a candidate for sainthood met the qualification of being canonized, the role of the Devil’s Advocate was to be the skeptic (loyal to the institution), looking for reasons why not to canonize the individual. Similarly, Leaders must embrace the concept of employing a devil’s advocate approach to identifying 2nd/3rd order and evil effects of technology – if not designating a devil’s advocate with the right expertise to identify assumptions, risks, and effects. But creating any devil’s advocate or “risk identification” positions is only useful if their input is seriously considered.
Embrace the Suck. Lastly, if we are serious in identifying the 2nd/3rd order and evil effects, Merrell Men's Brown Leather Hiking/Trail Boots Size 7Polo Ralph Lauren Chukka Suede Leather Shoes Brown Sz 9.5 Mensto include identifying new dependencies, ethical issues, or other issues which challenge the adaption or development of a new technology or policy – then we must be honest, resilient, and tough. There will be setbacks, delays, and frustration.
Technology holds the power to improve and change our personal and professional lives. For the military, technology changes the ways wars are fought (i.e., the character of war), but it may also change the nature of war by potentially reducing the “human dimension” in war. If robotics, AI, and other technological developments eliminate “danger, physical exertion, intelligence and friction,”17 is war easier to wage? Will technology increase its potential frequency? Will technology create a further separation between the military and the population by decreasing the number of personnel needed? These may be some of the 2nd/3rd order and “evil” effects we need to consider.
If you enjoyed this post, please see Dr. Marsella’s previous post “Second/Third Order, and Evil Effects” – The Dark Side of Technology (Black Leather Side-Zip Western Dress Boots Men's Size 6.5 D)
– VTG MENS ARIAT 4LR WORK LEATHER BROWN BOOTS SIZE 12 D, by Dr. Nir Buras