- Christian Louboutin Pink Womens Pigalle Follies 100 Pumps Size US 11 Narrow (Aa, N)
- Céline Black Leather Smoking Slippers Formal Shoes Size EU 39 (Approx. US 9) Regular (M, B)
- Gentlemen/Ladies Z Zegna Techmerino Wave Slip-on Sneaker for you to choose new Cheap order
- BUC-EE BEAVER Men's flip flops sandals BY ENMON
- Quiksilver Molokai Solid Basics Sz 9 Flip Flops Sandals
- NEW IN BOX MENS CHACO Z1 CLASSIC TRI JAVA SIZE 8 USA, 41 EUR, 7 UK
- Mens Casual Sport Shoes Athletic Sneaker Plus Size Shoes Soft Sole Shoes GDRGSA
- Man's/Woman's New Balance Men's M891BS Running Black-Silver-Gold Comfortable feeling product quality Exquisite workmanship
- Hi-Tec Men's Bandera Mid Waterproof Hiking Boot - Choose SZ/Color
- MENS CLARKS BUSHACRE 2 26129526 COLOR:DARK BROWN DESERT BOOTS
- Polo Ralph Lauren Mens 9D Suede Leather Upper Hiking Shoes, Brown
- Vintage Red Wing Irish Setter Mountaineering Boot Men size 5.5
- CALDEN K228061 - 3 Inches Elevator Height Increase Boat-Inspired Moc-Toe Boots
- NWOT Mens Apex Ambulator Conform Double Strap Comfort Walking Shoe 10 W
- New Men's Mark Nason Foxhill Casual Oxfords (68223) (I7)
- Calvin Klein Gaige Suede Oxford Navy Men Sz 11.5 9086
- Man's/Woman's: Nike Spiridon: shopping offer
- Burberry Purple Suede Leather Eu 38 Made In Italy Pumps Size US 8 Regular (M, B)
- Nike ID Mercurial Superfly VI Academy Soccer Cleats Red AO1516-991 sz Men 8
- 2006 Mens Nike Air Force 1 Brasil World Cup Tennis Shoes Blue Yellow Sz US 10.5
- ADIDAS WOMEN'S ARKIN BLUE/CLOUD WHITE/GUM DB1980
- Nike Air Force 1 '07 Women's Shoes Black/Black 315115-038
- Skechers Women's Relaxed Fit Valeris Flying High Sneaker Gray Pink Size 9.5
- I35 Rikkie Over The Knee Boots, Soft Taupe
- Nike Free Run 2 Suede Pack. Marroons Grey Og Rare Vintage Retro Air Max 2011
- Nike Free Train Versatility Scarpe Uomo da Corsa 833258 016 Scarpe da Tennis
- Womens Sexy Over The Knee Thigh High Boots High Heels Pointy Toe Stilettos Shoes
- Antonio Melani Size 6 M Black Leather Knee High Boots New Womens Shoes
- CHURCH'S Black Leather Knee Boots, US 6
- Sz 5 BERNIE MEV Colorful Woven Stretch Slingback Sandals EUC Casual BM
- $170 VIA SPIGA BUCKLE Black Patent Gray Suede Designer Pointed Toe Flats 7.5 M
- Rockport Women's Total Motion Pump - Choose SZ/Color
- Stuart Weitzman Lastikon Ballet Flat Beige Leo Ultra Size 8 N Spain EUC
- Valentino Rockstud Mary Jane black 5 35 crystal stud strap ballet flat AUCTION
- La Sportiva Womens Synthesis Mid GTX Athletic Trail Hiking Boots Sz US 8.5
- Nike Women's Free TR Focus Training Shoe Black/Cool Grey Size 10 (844817-002)
- 2015 NIKE KD 8 NIKEiD ID BLACK GOLD WHITE ELITE PLAYOFFS SZ 8.5 WMNS/ MEN 7
- Man's/Woman's Womens Keen Shoes Size 6.5 EUC Adequate supply and timely delivery Let our products go to the world Characteristics
- Dansko PATENT LEATHER Nursing Clogs Size 37 (U.S)7 Shiny Red Orange Stripe Italy
- BURBERRY MEN SHOES KINGLY LOGO PRINT LOW TOP SNEAKERS 4066468
- Sperry top sider 0772830 Halyard 2 eye Gray Canvas boat shoes size 8M
- Mens Hollow Out Breathable Slip On Loafers Suede Gommino Moccasins Flats Shoes
- Mens crocodile Pattern Flats moccasin Driving Shoes Tassels Slip On Loafers size
- New Men's Sio White Mid Air Bubble Crock Print Shoes Size 9.5 Brand New!
- White Mountain Trail Brown Suede Leather Mid-Calf Boots 7
- Covington Black Leather Block Heel Zip Ankle Boots Slip on Womens SZ 6.5 M
- Womens Bongo (30624) Walker Black Tall Boots (2F)
- EI Naturalista Ankle Boots Black Leather Zip Booties Size 37 EUR Made in Spain
- Dolce Vita Piscal Suede Wedge Ankle Booties, Women's Size 7, Taupe NEW
- GEOX Jharrod A sneakers sale smooth leather black
- asics Japan Onitsuka TIGER Disney Collaboration item MEXICO 66 D8G3L black F/S
- Sanuk Unisex Sidewalker FlipFlops Grey Size 9 New
- Man/Woman Men Leisure Breathable Dual-use Anti-slip Sandals Fine processing Won highly appreciated and widely trusted at home and abroad Pick up at the boutique
- MEN'S SHOES SNEAKERS CROCS CROCBRAND X CLOG [14433 VOLT GREEN]
- Man's/Woman's Mens Hi-Tec Trainers Label Rush Reasonable price a wide range of products Complete specifications
- Adidas Mens 5-Star Black/White/MetallicSilver Football Cleats Size 8 (368478)
- HYTEST safety boots Tufgum Size 8 Oil Resistant Brown Whiskey Cognac Western
- Cabela's Gore-Tex Upland Pro Hunting Boots Men's 12 Work Hiking Brown Leather
- Eddie Bauer Chocolate Brown Leather With Shearling Interior Men’s Boots Sz 9
- KICKERS MENS BLACK LEATHER MOTORCYCLE ANKLE BOOTS SHOES BUCKLE STRAP SZ 11.5
- Justin Men BLACK Leather Cowboy Western BULL HIDE Rancher Work Boots 10.5 1/2 D
- Ara Finn Casual Slip On Shoes - Men's Size 10, Black
- Old Gringo Lucky Boots/Booties Size US 10 Regular (M, B)
- Nicholas Kirkwood Silver Castai Biker Boots/Booties Size US 8.5
- Valentino Brown Garavani Leather Sandals Size EU 37 (Approx. US 7) Regular (M, B)
- Nike Alpha Sensory Turf Breast Cancer BCA Football Cleats Mens 11 (918202-690)
- Nike Air Rosches Sneakers Size 8.5
- NIKE SNEAKERS AIR MAX FLYKNIT 620469 NEW MEN'S SIZE 10.5
- Womens NIKE ZOOM ALL OUT FLYKNIT Black Running Trainers 845361 014
- Lacoste Bayliss Vulc PRM US 7-30SPM003521G Men Size's+
- Donald Pliner Men's Viro2 Leather Driving Loafer, 8
- Men's/Women's: Nike cortez basic nylon: great Select
- Nike Women's Lunarepic Low Flyknit Training Shoes Size 8.5 ( 843765-002 ) Run
- Womens High Platform Wedges Rivet Bowtie Lolita Winter Warm Boot Shoes Ankle Hot
- Nike Metcon DSX Flyknit Dark Royal Blue Grey Training Shoe (852930-403) sz 13
- Nike Air Max 1 Essential Wolf Grey/Red/Orange UK3 (US 5.5 ) BNIB GENUINE
- Under Armour Women’s 1299245 728 UA Stryker High Traction Tactical Boots Sz 8
- Men's/Women's Clarks Women's Spye Astro Boot main category Medium cost business
- Cole Haan 8AA Narrow Womens Brown Braided Leather Slip On Loafer Moccasin Shoe
- Frye 3479191 Maya Women's Slip On Sneaker Shoe SZ 7M
- Womens Rhinestone Slip On Flats Flower Loafers Casual Boat Shoes Sneakers Chic
- FRYE 76163 Womens Terri Perf Oxford Flat- Choose SZ/Color.
- Nine West Womens Xalan Metallic Ballet Flat- Pick SZ/Color.
- PW Minor Velvet Black - Women's Casual Comfort Shoe - All Colors - All Sizes
- New Wmns Nike Dunk High Skinny PRM 472488 005 SZ 9.5 () Grey Suede
- Adidas crazyflight x womens volleyball shoes black yellow ba9267 size 10.5 new
- NIKE W Roshe Two Knit AA1113-003 DUST/MTLC PEWTER-BLACK-WHITE Womens Size 6.5
- Women's Mushrooms White Sneaker Style Walking Shoes ALLY ll size 9 M New in Box
- Dansko Sanita Womens 38 Black Gold Floral Tapestry Clogs Shoes 7-8 M US
- FEAR OF GOD SIZE Military Sneaker 2017 FW17/18 infrared Fog Supreme Kith 5th
- NEW Mens Bulldog Art Tribal Wave Skate Shoes Grey Size 8.5 M
- 2018 hot Mens Trainers Breathable Atheletic Casual Sport Sneakers Running Shoes
- NEW DADA SUPREME URBAN FASHION MENS SNEAKER size 9.5 US, 42.5 EUR!!!!!!
- NIB $75 Converse Jack Purcell Jack Ox Dolphin/White 147597C US Mens 10.5
- New Women Refresh Laker-01 Leatherette Belted Chelsea Motorcycle Bootie
- Catwalk Collection Women's Leather Ankle Boots 11 Taupe Distressed Stacked Heel
- 1015 Rag & Bone Classic Newbury Mineral Suede Ankle Boots Women Size 38 M
- Women's Transparent Wedges Pointed Yoe Over Knee Boots Slim High Heel Shoes D796
- AM783 MADAME PIGALLE shoes black leather textile women ankle boots
- OLUKAI Nohea Mesh Shoe - Men's Dark Shadow/Dark Shadow 11 D(M) US
- Men's/Women's Valentino Garavani Rockrunner Shoes Size 41.5 economic In short supply fine
- 63% OFF New mens INTRIGO Persuader Tan Suede Loafer sz 41 US 8.5 Retail $160
- Man Reef HT Prints Sandal Flip Flop RF2076 BLACK/REEF WATERS 100% Original New
- Splendid Women's Shoes Flats - Multi-Color Textile
- Propet Mens Walking Shoes Size 10 (19894)
- Nike Vapor Pro TD 3/4 Molded Mid Football Cleats Blue Orange Men's Size 15 NWOT
- Georgia Boots 8.5M Brown Leather Vintage Safety Toe
- 1999 by Zigi Burke Mens Leather Vintage Western Ankle Boots Size 13 M zip
- Christian Louboutin Navy Blue Strass Louis High Top Sneaker 9clb1222 Sneakers Size EU 43 (Approx. US 13) Regular (M, B)
- Valentino Black Stud Sandals Size US 10 Regular (M, B)
- Pour La Victoire Pink Cutout Hot Zipper Pumps Size US 8.5 Regular (M, B)
- New Nike Air Max Closer 4 wht/Grn Men Basketball Shoes 409627-107 Size 11.5
- Nike Zoom JA FLY 3 OC Rio Track & Field Spikes Men's Size 13 882032-999 *NEW*
- Nike Air Zoom Pegasus 33, Men Sizes 10-13 D, Action Red/Black/Pure Platinum NEW!
- NIKE AIR MAX 97 MID RICARDO TISCI NIKELAB Women Sz 6
- Justin Brown Full Quill Ostrich Leather Cowboy Boots Size 9.5 D Style 3105 USA
- Nautilus Men's Grey Lightweight Athletic Work Shoes Soft Toe N4340 size 8.5 W
- NEW SEA TO SUMMIT | Quagmire Canvas Gaiters - X Large Sea To Summit Botanex
- NEW DR. MARTENS MEN'S WILDE LOW CHELSEA BOOT BLACK TEMPERLEY 10 MEDIUM 9 UK $145
- Man's/Woman's ASICS Gel Lyte Runner Rouge Blanc Charming design Beautiful appearance Popular tide shoes
- Men's Lloyd Navy Blue Leather Oxfords Made in Germany Style#Gardell
- MEN'S CLOUDFOAM RACER TR SNEAKER SIZE 11.5
- Ryka Women's Nell Walking Shoe, Black/Mint, Size 10.5
- Merrell Women's Zoe Sojourn Ballet E-Mesh Q2 Flat, - Choose SZ/color
- Nike Air Jordan Spizike BG White/Sport Blue-Black-Wolf Grey Sz 7
- Nike Free Flyknit Mercurial ~ 805554 400 ~ Size 8 ~ Euro 42.5
- New Womens Velvet Ankle Boots Pointy Toe StilettoFaux Mink Fur Trim Formal Party
- Circle G Women's Green Harness and Studded Short Boot - Round Toe - Q5002
- SPERRY TOP SIDER Womens Intrepid SZ 6 M 9777956 2 Eye Tan Boat Shoes J107
- Butterfly Twists Women's Francesca Ballet Flat, Pink, 10 M US
- Nwts Ladies Leather Calvin Klein Slip On Shoes Size 9.5 9 1/2
- Lanvin Paris Women's Ballet Flats Iconic Black Pebble Leather Slip-On MRSP $695
- French Sole Womens reform Leather Open Toe Ballet Blue/navy nappa Size 6.5
- Women's shoes Ballerinas leather and fabric model IRLANDE Us size 3 to 12
- Gentlemen/Ladies Brooks Women's Ghost 10 Metallic Charcoal elegant auction Seasonal promotion
- Nike Air Huarache Run SE Womens 859429-601 Bordeaux White Running Shoes Size 9
- Mephisto Womens 'Tyrzia' Sneaker Shoe, Black, US 7.5
- Womens Air Huarache Run PRM Phantom White Running Shoes 683818-015 Size 6
- RARE Nike AM Zero QS 863700 101 DB Rainbow Be True Vapormax flyknit Women 8
- New Clarks Original Desert London Dark Ochre Suede Men's Shoes Size 7.5 UK
- Mens Clarks Slip On Loafers Brown Leather Size 7 Medium
- Nike 183901-221 Tiger Woods TW Last Golf Monk Strap Brown Loafers Men's US 11
- Men's Penguin Munsingwear Moby Lo Shoes Sneakers Size 10.5 Gray Brown White AB13
- FLORSHEIM Men's/Was brn moc FS245 Steel Toe Work Shoe Boot Size 7 M BROWN
- Women's Bowknot Fur Top Warm Snow Platform Wedge Heel Winter Ankle Boots Shoes
- Tigerbear Republic Brown Wolf Design Short Half Ankle Boots Size 9.5M Unique
- I17-SL46 WOMEN'S SHOES 37 BOOTIES SARA LOPEZ BLACK BACKGROUND Combat boots,boots
- Rocket Dog TOBIELA Womens Tobie Lewis Pu-Altan Cotton Ankle BootieM
- Lucky Brand Womens ASHBEE Leather Closed Toe Ankle Fashion, Black, Size 6.5 m0yN
- $250 Converse Mens Size 12 John Varvatos CTAS Mini Stud Black Leather Shoes
- NEW COLE HAAN MENS MEN'S GRANDEVØLUTION VENETIAN LOAFER - MARINE BLUE SUEDE-...
- Gentleman/Lady Northwest Territory SANDALS MEN'S SIZE 10 New market Sufficient supply List of explosions
- Under Armour Men's Fat Tire Slide Sneaker, - Choose SZ/Color
[Editor’s Note: In Part I of this series, Dr. Nick Marsella addressed the duty we have to examine our assumptions about emergent warfighting technologies / capabilities and their associated implications to identify potential second / third order and “evil” effects. New Nike W Air Huarache Run Ultra [819151-008] NSW Running Black/Black-WhiteWomen's Nike Air Huarache Run Ultra Running Shoes Sz 6-8 Blue NEW 819151 304 In today’s post, he prescribes five actions we can embrace both individually and as organizations to avoid confirmation bias and falling into cognitive thinking traps when confronting the ramifications of emergent technologies — Enjoy!]
In part I of my blog post, I advised those advocating for the development and/or fielding of technology to be mindful of the second/third order and possible “evil” effects. I defined “evil” as an unexpected and profound negative implication(s) of the adoption/adaption of a technology and related policy. I also recommended heeding the admonition of Tim Cook, Apple’s CEO, to take responsibility for our technological creations and have the courage to think things through their potential implications – both for the good and the bad.
But even if we as individuals are willing to challenge our assumptions and think broadly and imaginatively, we can still come up short. Why? The answer is due in part to the challenges of prediction and the fact we are human with both great cognitive abilities, but also weaknesses.
First, common sense and many theorists remind us that the future is unknowable.Vogue Women Fall Shoes 2019 Leather Sneaker High Heel Platform Wedge Ankle BootsPuma Glyde Winter Mid Women's Winter Shoes Black Padded Leather Trainers NEWThe futurist Arthur C. Clark noted in 1962, “It is impossible to predict the future, and all attempts to do in any detail appear ludicrous within a very few years.” Within this fixed condition of unknowing, the U.S. Departments of Defense and the Army must make choices to determine:
– what capabilities we desire and its related technology;
– where to invest in research and development; and
As Michael E. Raynor pointed out in his book, Easy Spirit Gemela Slip On Sneakers Womens Athletic Casual Shoes, making choices and developing strategies, which include adopting new technology, where the future is unknowable and “deeply unpredictable” either produces monumental successes or monumental failures.NWT Sam Edelman Stillson Oatmeal Suede Pump 9 Ret. $120Nike Wmns Air Huarache Run Ultra BR Breathe Womens Shoes Sneakers Pick 1 For a company this can spell financial ruin, while for the Army, it can spell disaster and the loss of Soldiers’ lives and national treasure. Yet, we must also choose a “way ahead” – often by considering “boundaries” – in a sense the left and right limits – of potential implications.
Second, our ability to predict when technology will become available is often in error nor can we accurately determine its implications. For example, in a New York Times editorial on December 8, 1903, it noted: “A man carrying airplane will eventually be built, ASICS GT-2000 5 Trail Runner Womens Size 7 M Aluminum Silver Orchid AthleticConverse Star Player Ox Navy White Unisex Leather Low-top Sneakers Trainersbut only if mathematicians and engineers work steadily for the next ten million years.”5 The Wright Brothers first flight took place the following week, but it took decades for commercial and military aviation to evolve.
Each of the services has faced force modernization challenges due to the adoption of technologies that weren’t mature enough; whose capabilities were over-promised; or did not support operations in the envisioned Operational Environment. For the U.S. Army, Future Combat Systems (FCS) was the most obvious and recent example of this challenge – costing billions of dollars and, just as importantly, lost time and confidence.Man's/Woman's Adidas Originals Women's Tubular Shadow Sneaker New Listing fashionable Global salesNew Balance Women's Fresh Foam Gobi Trail Running Shoe, Grey/Pink
Third, in terms of future technology, predictions vary widely. For example, predictions by MIT’s Rodney Brooks and futurist/inventor Ray Kurzweil vary widely to the question – “What year do you think human-level Artificial Intelligence [AI, i.e., a true thinking machine] might be achieved with a 50% probability?” Kurzweil predicts AI (as defined) will be available in 2029, while Brooks is a bit more conservative – the year 2200 – a difference of over 170 years.Lacoste Women Flats Marice Series Canvas Fashion Sneakers Slip On Shoes NEWWomens Zipper Leather Stylish High Top Love Print Shoes Wedge Heels Sneakers SY
While one can understand the difficulty of predicting when “general AI” will be available, other technologies offer similar difficulties. The vision of the “self-driving” autonomous vehicle was first written about and experimented with in the 1920s, yet technological limitations, legal concerns, customer fears, and other barriers make implementing this capability challenging.
Lastly, as Rodney Brooks has highlighted, New Balance Women's WC896 Lightweight Tennis Shoe-W, Pink/Grey, 6.5 B US maintains:
“we tend to overestimate the effect of a technology in the short run and underestimate the effect in the long run.”NIKE WOMENS DUALTONE RACER RS SZ 4-10 MIDNIGHT NAVY COMET BLUE TINT AA4081 400
SECOND, THIRD ORDER AND EVIL EFFECTS
– intentionally focus on the positive effects of adopting a technology;
– ignore the experts and those who identify the potential downside of technology; and
– fail to think thorough the short, long, and potentially dangerous effects or dependencies – imaginatively.
We do this because we are human, and more often because we fall into the confirmation bias or other cognitive thinking traps that might affect our program or pet technology. As noted by RAND in Truth Decay:New Puma Basket Heart Patent WNS Pink Ribbon Fashion Sneakers 363073 11ASICS Women's Gel-Cumulus 19, Blue Purple/Black/Flash Coral, 7 M US
“Cognitive biases and the ways in which human beings process information and make decisions cause people to look for information, opinion, and analyses that confirm preexisting beliefs, to weigh experience more heavily than data and facts, and then to rely on mental shortcuts and the beliefs of those in the same social networks when forming opinions and making decisions.”9
Yet, the warning signs or signals for many unanticipated effects can be found simply by conducting a literature review of government, think tank, academic, and popular reports (to perhaps include science fiction). This may deter some, given the sheer volume of literature is often overwhelming, but contained within these reports are many of the challenges associated with future technology, such as: the potential for deep fakes, loss of privacy, hacking,Converse Chuck Taylor All Star Syde Street Mid Black Womens Canvas TrainersNIKE Women's Flex 2017 RN Running Shoes Size 8.5 - Violet Dusk White Plum accidents, deception, and loss of industries/jobs.
At the national level, both the current and previous administrations published reports on AI, as has the Department of Defense – some more balanced in addressing of issues of fairness, safety, governance, and ethics.10
For example, using photo recognition to help law enforcement and others seems like a great idea, yet its use is increasingly being questioned. This past May, San Francisco became the first city to ban its use, and others may follow suit.11 While some question this decision to ban vice impose a moratorium until the technology produces less errors, the question remains – did the developers and policy makers consider if there would be push back to its introduction given its current performance?NEW Womens NIKE FREE TR FIT 5 sz 10.5 GLOW LAVA CRIMSON Running Shoes SneakerSTOKTON PITONE STAR Black Studded Leather Designer Sneakers WORN ONCE What sources did they consult?
Another challenge is language. You’ve seen the commercials – “there is much we can do with AI” – in farming, business, and even beer making. While “AI” is a clever tag line, it may invoke unnecessary fear and misunderstanding. For example, I believe for most people equate “robotics” and “AI” with the “Terminator” franchise, raising the fear of uncontrolled autonomous military force overwhelming humanity. Even worse – under the moniker of “AI,” we will buy into “snake-oil” propositions.
We are at least decades away from “general AI” where a “system exhibits apparently intelligence behavior at least as advanced as a person” across the “full range of cognitive tasks,” but we continue to flaunt the use of “AI” without elaboration.Reebok X FACE Stockholm Classic Leather Women's Sneakers Pink Trainers ShoesNIKE WOMEN'S FREE RUN+ 2 EXT SIZE 6.5 & 7 NEW/BOX 536746 015
SOME ACTIONS TO TAKE
Embrace a learning organization. Popularized by Peter Senge’s The Fifth Discipline: The Art and Practice of the Learning Organization (1990), a learning organization is a place “where people continually expand their capacity to create the results they truly desire, where new and expansive patterns of thinking are nurtured, where collective aspiration is set free, and where people are continually learning how to learn together.”Eiger Rainy Set Size Selectable Rainsuit Rain Jacket & Trousers 100% Waterproof While some question whether we can truly make a learning organization, Senge’s thinking may help solve our problem of identifying 2nd/3rd order and evil effects.
First, we must embrace new and expansive patterns of thinking. Force developers use the acronym – “DOTMPLF-P” as shorthand for Doctrine, Organization, Training, Materiel, Personnel, Leadership, Facilities, and Policy implications – yet other factors might be as important.
For example, trust in automated or robotics systems must be instilled and measured. In one poll, 73% of respondents noted they would be afraid of riding in a fully autonomous vehicle – up 10% points from the previous year.14 What if we develop a military autonomous vehicle or a leader-follower system and one or more of our host nation allies prohibits its use? What happens if an accident occurs and the host population protests, NEW BALANCE WOMENS WX623LT2 SIZE 7 NEWMerrell Capra Rapid Womens Mesh Toggle Hiking Walking Bright Red Trainers Shoesarguing that the Americans don’t care for their safety?
Technologists and concept developers must move from being stove-piped in labs and single-focused to consider the broader view of technological implications across functions.
Embrace Humility. Given that we cannot predict the future and its potential consequences, developers must seek out diversified opinions, and more importantly, recognize divergent opinions.
Embrace the Data. In New York City during World War II, a small organization of some of the most brilliant minds in America worked in the office of the “Applied Mathematics Panel.” In Europe, the 8th U.S. Air Force suffered from devastating bomber losses. Asics Gel Fit Sana 3 S751N 9601 Women's Running Shoes 12 Midgrey/WhiteWomen Silver Cut Out Sneakers Breathable Fashion Wedge Leather Sport Sandals @bLeaders wondered where best to reinforce the bombers with additional armor without significantly increasing their weight to improve survivability. Reports indicated returning bombers suffered gunfire hits over the wings and fuselage, but not in the tail or cockpits, so to the casual observer it made sense to reinforce the wings and fuselage where the damage was clearly visible.
Abraham Wald, a mathematician, worked on the problem. He noted that reinforcing the spots where damage was evident in returning aircraft wasn’t necessarily the best course of action, given that hits to the cockpit and tail were probably causing aircraft (and aircrew) losses during the mission. In a series of memorandums, he developed a “method of estimating plane vulnerability based on damage of survivors.” As Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s Sherlock Holmes noted more than 100 years ago, “It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”Vans X Aimee Fuller SK8 Hi MTE Marshmallow Mens Size: 9.5Nike 684667-104 FS LITE RUN 2 Athletic Running Sneaker Shoes For Women Size 11 M
Additionally, we need to reinforce our practice of performing quality literature reviews to aid in our identification of these issues.
Employ Skepticism and a Devil’s Advocate Approach. In 1587, the Roman Catholic Church created the position of Promoter of the Faith – commonly referred to as the Devil’s Advocate. To insure a candidate for sainthood met the qualification of being canonized, the role of the Devil’s Advocate was to be the skeptic (loyal to the institution), looking for reasons why not to canonize the individual. Similarly, Leaders must embrace the concept of employing a devil’s advocate approach to identifying 2nd/3rd order and evil effects of technology – if not designating a devil’s advocate with the right expertise to identify assumptions, risks, and effects. But creating any devil’s advocate or “risk identification” positions is only useful if their input is seriously considered.
Embrace the Suck. Lastly, if we are serious in identifying the 2nd/3rd order and evil effects, Reebok Classic Harman Run W Bare Beige/Chalk/Chalk Pink Womens Running Size 9MReebok Size 6.5 DMX Walking Sneakers Blue New Womens Shoesto include identifying new dependencies, ethical issues, or other issues which challenge the adaption or development of a new technology or policy – then we must be honest, resilient, and tough. There will be setbacks, delays, and frustration.
Technology holds the power to improve and change our personal and professional lives. For the military, technology changes the ways wars are fought (i.e., the character of war), but it may also change the nature of war by potentially reducing the “human dimension” in war. If robotics, AI, and other technological developments eliminate “danger, physical exertion, intelligence and friction,”17 is war easier to wage? Will technology increase its potential frequency? Will technology create a further separation between the military and the population by decreasing the number of personnel needed? These may be some of the 2nd/3rd order and “evil” effects we need to consider.
If you enjoyed this post, please see Dr. Marsella’s previous post “Second/Third Order, and Evil Effects” – The Dark Side of Technology (New Olukai 20271 2020 Pehuea Tapa / Tapa Women's Slip On Shoes 8.5 US)
… as well as the following posts:Womens NEW BALANCE 575 Black and Purple Sneakers Sz. 8New Balance Women's 806v1 Work Training Shoe, Black, Size 6.5 YenX
– Dr. Scholl's Women's Lauri Slip On - Choose SZ/color, by Dr. Nir Buras