- Christian Louboutin Black Altadama 140 Patent Leather Peep Toe Pumps Size US 8 Regular (M, B)
- Dolce Gabbana San Remo Men Shoes size 9 distressed gray
- 660$ Bottega Veneta Navy and White Leather Shoes size US 9, Made in Italy
- Lover Mens Breathable Water Sandals Hole Sandal Beach Boating Sport Garden Shoes
- Urban Outfitters Womens Rainbow Metallic Wooden Sandals Multi Size 5.5 New
- Crocs Unisex Classic Avengers Clog Mule - Choose SZ/Color
- ew Converse All Star Riff Ox Camo Black Khaki Chuck 142091F
- Men Trainers Sports Shoes Running Comfy Athletic Sneakers Knitted Outdoor Casual
- Black Diamond Skagway Steel Toe Winter Work Boots
- Banana Republic Dark Brown Leather Chukka Italy Ankle Boots Mens Size 8.5D
- Mont Blanc Men's Leather Vintage Hiking Boots Brown Suede 8 D MontBlanc
- Mens Salomon Comet 3D GTX Athletic Support Hiking Mid Trail Boots Size 11.5
- Boots Magnum Codura 8.0" Stealth Force SZ
- Rockport K71098 Prowalker Diabetic Walking Comfort Oxfords Men's US 11M
- FINN COMFORT MENS SHOES SIZE
- New Sheepskin Moccasins Round Toe Loafers Rhinestone Slip on Fashion Men's shoes
- Adidas Hombres Sportschuhe Schwarz Groesse 9 US /43 EU
- Christian Louboutin Carnaval Heels Formal Shoes Size US 5 Regular (M, B)
- Cole Haan Blue & Black Studiøgrand Sneakers Size US 7.5 Regular (M, B)
- NIKE KOMYUTER QS SHOES TRIPLE BLACK MEN SIZE 11.5 NEW 916823-001 SYNTHETIC TXTLE
- NIKE Men's Dualtone Racer, Black/White-Pale Grey, 8 M US
- Adidas NMD R1 Talc Off White S76007 Sizes 4 to 10 Availables Chalk Boost Nomad
- Nike Women's Air More Uptempo Shoes NEW AUTHENTIC Barely Green/ White 917593-300
- Under Armour UA W Speed Swift [1266243-914] Running Aqua/White-Grey - Sz 8
- Merrell Women's Pechora Mid Boot, Black, 7.5 M US
- Nike Air Penny Half Cent 1/2 Eggplant Mens Sz 8
- Air Force 1 Ultra Flyknit Low UK6 US7 EU40 Multi Black 817419-001
- Jambu Women's JBU Eden Winter Boot
- Kenneth Cole New Nikki Black Womens Shoes Size 6 M Boots MSRP $170
- Vegas T-Moro Fringe Boots by Liberty Black LB-711210
- Soludos Women's Palazzo Mule, Tan, 6 B US
- Tory Burch Billy 2 Blue Velvet Grosgrain Loafer Slip On Quilted Size 5.5
- Clarks Women's Neenah Garden Cap Toe Ballet Flat
- Men/Women Jolette White Franco Sarto Flat Easy to clean surface First batch of customers Most practical
- Paul Green Women's Oakland Loafer Flat, Silver Leather, 5.5 Medium US
- Bzees Women's Jive Sandal Coffee/Copper Webbing Hook and Loop
- Converse Chuck Taylor '70 Ox Women's Obsidian 561657C
- NIKE AIR ZOOM MARIAH FLYKNIT RACER WOMEN's CASUAL PALE GREY - GREY - SUMMIT WHT
- Nike Womens Air Vapormax Flyknit Moc Cargo Khaki Black AA4155 300 Size 11.5
- Cougar Women's Regent Waterproof Chelsea Boot Lush Tropics Rubber Waterproof
- NIB $295 PARTICK COX GEOX ITALY White Leather Sneakers size US12 UK11 EU45
- G.H. BASS Mens Black Leather Loafers-"Lance" Size 7.5M-Made in Brazil-EUC
- MAUS & HOFFMAN OFF WHITE LEATHER LOAFER SHOES SIZE 9 M FROM ITALY.!!
- Men's Brown Casual In Genuine Leather Made in Portugal EU46 - US12
- ECCO Cognac Brown Leather Slip-On Bicycle Toe Loafer Men's Size US 10, Euro 44
- Gentlemen/Ladies Bearpaw Boots Size 7 Complete specification range Has a long reputation Don't worry when shopping
- Men's/Women's Block Heel Peep Toe Ankle Boot Special price Selected materials Various
- SAN MARINA Boots Cuir Lisse Noir Doublées Cuir T 37 TBE
- White Mountain Womens NWB Garnet Brown Smooth Boots Shoes 11 MED NEW
- G by Guess Womens harson Almond Toe Knee High Fashion Boots
- Clarks Originals Mens Desert Jink Black Suede Shoe G
- Men's Brown Sport Casual Shoes in Genuine Leather
- ROCKPORT EDGE HILL BROWN LEATHER COMFORT WALKING SHOES MEN WIDE 12 / 11.5 / 46.5
- Sanuk Beer Cozy Light Mens Flip Flop- Choose SZ/Color.
- Gentlemen/Ladies JEFFREY CAMPBELL MARSHALL~~ SIZE 7 New Listing the most economical various kinds
- New Men sz 10 Nike Air Versitile metallic silver black white basketball sneakers
- Man/Woman Nike Air Mission Size 13 629467-102 Outstanding features Upper material Comfortable and natural
- Dr. Martens Harrisland Men's 9 Black Leather 8 Eye Air Cushion Ankle Boots
- Winter Warm Leather Snow Ankle PU Nubuck Premium Outdoor Boots Men lUSl
- WOOD N' STREAM 1012 by THOROGOOD 8" GUNNER WATERPROOF, INSULATED WORK BOOTS!
- New Mens Special Forces Military Ankle Boots Army SWAT Tactical Combat Boots Sz
- KOMBAT DESERT PATROL BOOTS ARMY COMBAT TACTICAL CADET MILITARY SECURITY WORK
- Chloé Black Susanna Boots/Booties Size US 8 Regular (M, B)
- Dior Black J'adior Leather Slingback Flats Size EU 38 (Approx. US 8) Regular (M, B)
- Valentino Rockstud Heel Pumps Size US 7 Regular (M, B)
- NIKE Air Huarache Run Ultra SE Mens Running Shoes (11 D(M) US)
- Nike Zoom Train Complete TB Black White Cross Training Shoes Trainers Size 9.5M
- UOMO ADIDAS ULTRA spinta m - AQ4005 - verde turchese Scarpe sportive
- K-Swiss Lozan III Tongue Twister Mens Sneakers White/Navy
- Men's British Vintage Pointy Toe Floral Print Leather Shoes Wedding Dress Shoes
- Twenty 156 Men's Italian Black Asterix Leather Short Boots
- Scarpe PUMA Donna BIANCO Pelle naturale 364040-01
- NIKE WOMENS SF AF1 AIR FORCE 1 MID SZ 5.5 MUSHROOM TAN BONE BOOT AA3966 200
- PUMA 36271303 Womens Basket Reset Wns Fashion Sneaker- Choose SZ/Color.
- Ellie Shoes Women's 609-Scrunch Ankle Bootie - Choose SZ/Color
- Nike Air Penny II Orlando Magic Colorway - Size 10
- New Nike Mens Kobe X 10 Mid Ext Shoes sz 11.5 Black/Metallic Gold 802366-002
- Womens LOUISE ET CIE black leather knee high boots sz. 7 M $160
- TOPSHOP PREMIUM VAMP BOOTIES Black Leather Pointed Toe Sexy Ankle Boots 7 Shoes
- Retro Womens Tassel Genuine Leather Punk Buckles Military Combat Boots 3 Color Q
- B.O.C Womens suree Closed Toe Mules Black Size 6.5 KsA4
- Earth Relief Pod Taupe Slip On Womens Shoes Sz 6.5B Artemis Radical Comfort!
- Womens LATITUDE FEMME off white sparkly leather loafers sz. 39 M NEW!
- Carvela Patten Black Loafers Women's Size EUR. 39
- GIUSEPPE ZANOTTI DESIGN Shoes 820528 Beige 38
- Mr/Ms Ash Shoes 646903 GreyｘBlueｘMulticolor 36 New Listing Comfortable touch Modern mode
- 1805 adidas NIZZA SLIP-ON Women's Sneakers Sports Shoes CQ3104
- 675$ Red Valentino High Top Sneakers with Sequin Polka Dot Pink 39 Leather Shoes
- Mr/Ms Report Womens Elba Outstanding features Optimal price Outstanding function
- Dansko Professional Leather Comfort Clogs Wooden Heel Slip On Size 36
- Cole Haan Men's Zerogrand Stitchlite OX Sneaker Optic White Knit/White 10 M US
- Calvin Klein Deauville Men 10.5D Black Leather Driving Loafer SlipOn Rubber Sole
- Dockers Men's Robertson Oxford - Choose SZ/Color
- Personality low heel Korean style fashion wild Rhinestone Moccasins men's shoes
- Mens Fashion slip on sequins loafers nightclub studded party moccasins shoes New
- NEW REPORT Gwenno Womens Knee High Black Side Zip Boot Size 7M
- BRAND NEW!! Hunt Club BLACK LEATHER tall knee high BOOTS side zip - 9M
- Franco Sarto Idrina Heeled Ankle Bootie Brown Suede Size 6.5
- Gentleman/Lady Ariat Fatbaby Cowgirl Boots Size 5 Fashion pattern First batch of customers Clearance sale
- Laredo Brown Leather Cowboy Boots Women's Size US 5 M Slip-On Made in the USA
- men's shoes ROBERTO BOTTICELLI NEWS 8 (EU41) elegant black shiny leather AE314-C
- MAISON MARTIN MARGIELA nude natural leather shoes future low top sneakers 39 NEW
- 69 Slam Unisex Logo & Lines Thongs - Size 40 - Sandals Flipflops
- Teva Forebay Sandals - Men's Size 10 - Brown
- Prada Beige Leather Gold Tone Square Toe Loafers Size 40 10
- New Nike Men's Hyperdunk 2015 TB Basketball Shoes Maroon/Silver/White 749645 606
- $295 SKECHERS Mens BLACK GRAY BURST 2.0 MEMORY FOAM SLIP ON SNEAKERS SHOES 10
- DURASTEEL STEEL TOE BOOTS, MEN'S SIZE 10, ANSIZ 41.1-1991
- Christian Louboutin * Black Shameless Platform Peep Patent Pumps Size US 7 Regular (M, B)
- Christian Louboutin Nude / Blush Follies Spikes Pumps Size EU 39.5 (Approx. US 9.5) Narrow (Aa, N)
- Valentino Black Garavani Patent Leather Sandals Size EU 38 (Approx. US 8) Regular (M, B)
- Nike Roshe Run One Mens Size 9.5 Triple Black Running Athletic Shoes EUC
- Nike Air Force 180 Mid Photo Blue/White sz 10.5
- adidas Y-3 Women's Y-3 Super Zip Sneakers
- DURANGO MEN'S REBEL 11" WESTERN COWBOY BOOTS BROWN/GREEN SQUARE TOE SIZE 8.5 D
- New MERRELL Outmost Mid Ventilator Boots Men Size 10 M (US) RETAIL $120
- Dr Doc Martens England Brown Wingtip Distressed Leather Shoe Men Sz 6
- Mens Leather Chelsea Shoes Dress Formal Ankle Boots High Top Pointed Toe Casual
- Mens Tony Lama Sz 10D Cowboy Boots Style R4016 All Leather Black
- Gentleman/Lady Crevo Men's Lawless Fashion Sneaker sell a wide range of products International big name
- ADIDAS CONSORTIUM RUNNER EQT ZEBRA EDITION SIZE 10.5 EQT UNCAGED NMD
- Men/Women: Nike Air Pippen: Highlighted style
- Womens Nike Air Huarache Run iD Volt Hot Lava Deep Royal Blue SZ 6.5
- Aerosoles Women's Spin Cycle Ballet Flat Navy Faux Leather/Elastic
- Retro Women Ankle Boots Zipper Printed Floral Wine red Black Color Breathable S
- Nike Lebron XIII 13 Written In The Stars Mens 11.5 807219-500 Mulberry Shoes LA
- NIKE SB DUNK LOW TRD EAST WEST PACK 883232-441 UTILITY BLUE SIZE: 10
- Gentlemen/Ladies Nine West Women's Dale Boot New market Has a long reputation Great choice
- Ivy Kirzhner Carnival Ink Blue Fitted Thigh High Boot Star Stud Rockstar Boot
- Gentlemen/Ladies Chippewa Engineer Boot Women’s Size 7.5 for you to choose High-quality materials Vintage tide shoes
- Calvin Klein Menton White Tumbled Leather Slip On Loafers Sz 8M W/ Original Box
- Born Crown Women's Alyce Slip On Ballet Flat Burgundy Leather Size 8.5
- Gentleman/Lady bally loafers 7 Exquisite (middle) workmanship High quality and economy Excellent function
- New JEFFREY CAMPBELL Womens Silver Metallic Flats Slides Slip Ons Casual 7.5 M
- NIB Tory Burch REVA Ballet Flats Cobra Print Black Natural S 5.5 Style
- Nike Roshe One Winter 685286-661 Christmas Holiday Running Shoes Women's 9.5 new
- Adidas Originals Women's Swift Run Shoes Size 8 us CG4145
- NIKE WMNS AIR MAX 90 PREMIUM FIREBERRY US10 (443817 600)
- AUTHENTIC PRADA SNEAKERS SHOES 3E6202 BLUE SUEDE NEW US 7
- Columbia Women's Vulc N Vent Slip Uniform Dress Shoe
- John Fleuvog Seventh Heaven Angels Flame Black /Gray Leather Shoes Men's Size 13
- Mens Fashion Sports Sneakers Casual Shoes Breathable Jogging Walking Trainers N3
- SANUK VAGABOND TX BLACK NATURAL SIDEWALK SURFERS MENS US 14 NEW
- Gentlemen/Ladies cole haan 8 mens Economical and practical Impeccable Preferred boutique
- Dockers Men’s Proposal Leather Slip-on Loafer Shoe,Black,13 M US
- Women's Mid Calf Low Heel Round Toe Military Combat Boots Shoes Size 5.5-10
- Sexy Black Colorful Rhinestone Stiletto Alba Boots (Size 9)
- Womens Ladies Stud High Block Heel Ankle Boots Platforms Sexy Goth Punk Size New
- LifeStride booties Shoes Han black tess booties Boot Black 5.5 M
- Vintage Tony Lama Black/Gray Leather Boots Western/Cowboy size 6N Women's
- Clarks Originals Padmore II Beeswax Brown Gum Mens Casual Shoes 63364 1704-98A
- ROBERTO SERPENTINI 44211 Black Leather Moccasins Loafers 42 / US 9
- MEN US 8 SEVENTY'S HANDMADE LEATHER SANDAL SHOES FLIP ON BOHO HIPPIE RURAL ART
[Editor’s Note: In Part I of this series, Dr. Nick Marsella addressed the duty we have to examine our assumptions about emergent warfighting technologies / capabilities and their associated implications to identify potential second / third order and “evil” effects. Nike Dual Fusion Tr Print Fitness Women's Shoes SizeAdidas Barricade Club Women's Tennis Court Fitness Workout Gym Trainers Pink In today’s post, he prescribes five actions we can embrace both individually and as organizations to avoid confirmation bias and falling into cognitive thinking traps when confronting the ramifications of emergent technologies — Enjoy!]
In part I of my blog post, I advised those advocating for the development and/or fielding of technology to be mindful of the second/third order and possible “evil” effects. I defined “evil” as an unexpected and profound negative implication(s) of the adoption/adaption of a technology and related policy. I also recommended heeding the admonition of Tim Cook, Apple’s CEO, to take responsibility for our technological creations and have the courage to think things through their potential implications – both for the good and the bad.
But even if we as individuals are willing to challenge our assumptions and think broadly and imaginatively, we can still come up short. Why? The answer is due in part to the challenges of prediction and the fact we are human with both great cognitive abilities, but also weaknesses.
First, common sense and many theorists remind us that the future is unknowable.Nike Women's Flex Experience RN 7 Running Shoe Black/ Anthracite (908996 002)Nike Air Pegasus 89 Running Shoes Womens 6.5 Glacier Blue/Wh/Nvy 844888 400 NEWThe futurist Arthur C. Clark noted in 1962, “It is impossible to predict the future, and all attempts to do in any detail appear ludicrous within a very few years.” Within this fixed condition of unknowing, the U.S. Departments of Defense and the Army must make choices to determine:
– what capabilities we desire and its related technology;
– where to invest in research and development; and
As Michael E. Raynor pointed out in his book, Gentlemen/Ladies ELECTRA-3000Z Charming design New style Quality and consumer first, making choices and developing strategies, which include adopting new technology, where the future is unknowable and “deeply unpredictable” either produces monumental successes or monumental failures.New Womens Sandals Hollow Out Zip Low Heels College Sneaker Korean Leisure SoftPropet TravelFit Prestige - Black;Silver - Womens For a company this can spell financial ruin, while for the Army, it can spell disaster and the loss of Soldiers’ lives and national treasure. Yet, we must also choose a “way ahead” – often by considering “boundaries” – in a sense the left and right limits – of potential implications.
Second, our ability to predict when technology will become available is often in error nor can we accurately determine its implications. For example, in a New York Times editorial on December 8, 1903, it noted: “A man carrying airplane will eventually be built, New Womens Reebok CLUB C FVS CN3416 WHITE / NAVY US 6.0 - 11.0 UNISEX SIZE TAKSEMan's/Woman's Propet Women TravelFit Hi WAT032M Fine processing Environmentally friendly Contrary to the same paragraphbut only if mathematicians and engineers work steadily for the next ten million years.”5 The Wright Brothers first flight took place the following week, but it took decades for commercial and military aviation to evolve.
Each of the services has faced force modernization challenges due to the adoption of technologies that weren’t mature enough; whose capabilities were over-promised; or did not support operations in the envisioned Operational Environment. For the U.S. Army, Future Combat Systems (FCS) was the most obvious and recent example of this challenge – costing billions of dollars and, just as importantly, lost time and confidence.DVS Farah Brown Oily Buck Size 10 US Women's BMX DC Skate Shoes DeadstockWomens Shoes Real Leather Breathable Fashion Sneakers Wedge Oxfords Ankle Boots
Third, in terms of future technology, predictions vary widely. For example, predictions by MIT’s Rodney Brooks and futurist/inventor Ray Kurzweil vary widely to the question – “What year do you think human-level Artificial Intelligence [AI, i.e., a true thinking machine] might be achieved with a 50% probability?” Kurzweil predicts AI (as defined) will be available in 2029, while Brooks is a bit more conservative – the year 2200 – a difference of over 170 years.Saucony Women's Ride 10 Running Shoe, White Blue, 7 Medium USNike Wmns Dualtone Racer Womens Running Shoes Lifestyle Sneakers Pick 1
While one can understand the difficulty of predicting when “general AI” will be available, other technologies offer similar difficulties. The vision of the “self-driving” autonomous vehicle was first written about and experimented with in the 1920s, yet technological limitations, legal concerns, customer fears, and other barriers make implementing this capability challenging.
Lastly, as Rodney Brooks has highlighted, Womens 10.5 42.5 Nike Juvenate Running Shoes Dark Loden Olive Green 724979-307 maintains:
“we tend to overestimate the effect of a technology in the short run and underestimate the effect in the long run.”Nike Flex Run 2017 Women Size 5.5 Black Blue Pink Mesh Running Shoe 898476 004
SECOND, THIRD ORDER AND EVIL EFFECTS
– intentionally focus on the positive effects of adopting a technology;
– ignore the experts and those who identify the potential downside of technology; and
– fail to think thorough the short, long, and potentially dangerous effects or dependencies – imaginatively.
We do this because we are human, and more often because we fall into the confirmation bias or other cognitive thinking traps that might affect our program or pet technology. As noted by RAND in Truth Decay:Nike Women's Downshifter 6 White Blue Silver Running Shoes Size 7.5Rockport truWALK zero Moreza Scallop Mudguard NEW Womens Sz 6.5 Black
“Cognitive biases and the ways in which human beings process information and make decisions cause people to look for information, opinion, and analyses that confirm preexisting beliefs, to weigh experience more heavily than data and facts, and then to rely on mental shortcuts and the beliefs of those in the same social networks when forming opinions and making decisions.”9
Yet, the warning signs or signals for many unanticipated effects can be found simply by conducting a literature review of government, think tank, academic, and popular reports (to perhaps include science fiction). This may deter some, given the sheer volume of literature is often overwhelming, but contained within these reports are many of the challenges associated with future technology, such as: the potential for deep fakes, loss of privacy, hacking,Vans Era Black Womens Suede Canvas Low-Top Casual Trainers NewNEW Womens NIKE FREE TR FIT 5 sz 10.5 GLOW LAVA CRIMSON Running Shoes Sneaker accidents, deception, and loss of industries/jobs.
At the national level, both the current and previous administrations published reports on AI, as has the Department of Defense – some more balanced in addressing of issues of fairness, safety, governance, and ethics.10
For example, using photo recognition to help law enforcement and others seems like a great idea, yet its use is increasingly being questioned. This past May, San Francisco became the first city to ban its use, and others may follow suit.11 While some question this decision to ban vice impose a moratorium until the technology produces less errors, the question remains – did the developers and policy makers consider if there would be push back to its introduction given its current performance?Asics Women's Gel-Quantum 180 Black/Gold/Silver Size 5.5 (F,0)Adidas Originals ZX Flux Women's Classic Casual Retro Gym Casual Fashion Trainer What sources did they consult?
Another challenge is language. You’ve seen the commercials – “there is much we can do with AI” – in farming, business, and even beer making. While “AI” is a clever tag line, it may invoke unnecessary fear and misunderstanding. For example, I believe for most people equate “robotics” and “AI” with the “Terminator” franchise, raising the fear of uncontrolled autonomous military force overwhelming humanity. Even worse – under the moniker of “AI,” we will buy into “snake-oil” propositions.
We are at least decades away from “general AI” where a “system exhibits apparently intelligence behavior at least as advanced as a person” across the “full range of cognitive tasks,” but we continue to flaunt the use of “AI” without elaboration.Mizuno Wave Rider 21 Sneaker - Women's Size 6 RedNike Women's In-Season TR 7 PRM Training Shoe, Black/Chrome-White, 8.5
SOME ACTIONS TO TAKE
Embrace a learning organization. Popularized by Peter Senge’s The Fifth Discipline: The Art and Practice of the Learning Organization (1990), a learning organization is a place “where people continually expand their capacity to create the results they truly desire, where new and expansive patterns of thinking are nurtured, where collective aspiration is set free, and where people are continually learning how to learn together.”Vans Old Skool Sherpa Turtledove Women's Skate Shoes Size 9 While some question whether we can truly make a learning organization, Senge’s thinking may help solve our problem of identifying 2nd/3rd order and evil effects.
First, we must embrace new and expansive patterns of thinking. Force developers use the acronym – “DOTMPLF-P” as shorthand for Doctrine, Organization, Training, Materiel, Personnel, Leadership, Facilities, and Policy implications – yet other factors might be as important.
For example, trust in automated or robotics systems must be instilled and measured. In one poll, 73% of respondents noted they would be afraid of riding in a fully autonomous vehicle – up 10% points from the previous year.14 What if we develop a military autonomous vehicle or a leader-follower system and one or more of our host nation allies prohibits its use? What happens if an accident occurs and the host population protests, adidas Originals Womens Shoes | Tubular Defiant Fashion SneakersMen's/Women's FLEX APPEAL 2.0 NOIR GRIS Many varieties High quality and economy The first batch of customers' comprehensive specificationsarguing that the Americans don’t care for their safety?
Technologists and concept developers must move from being stove-piped in labs and single-focused to consider the broader view of technological implications across functions.
Embrace Humility. Given that we cannot predict the future and its potential consequences, developers must seek out diversified opinions, and more importantly, recognize divergent opinions.
Embrace the Data. In New York City during World War II, a small organization of some of the most brilliant minds in America worked in the office of the “Applied Mathematics Panel.” In Europe, the 8th U.S. Air Force suffered from devastating bomber losses. ADIDAS SONIC DRIVE BOOST RUNNING SHOES WOMEN'S SIZE US 9 GREY BB3422Adidas STELLA MCCARTNEY Hi Top Asimina Superstar Women's Sneakers Shoes US 6.5Leaders wondered where best to reinforce the bombers with additional armor without significantly increasing their weight to improve survivability. Reports indicated returning bombers suffered gunfire hits over the wings and fuselage, but not in the tail or cockpits, so to the casual observer it made sense to reinforce the wings and fuselage where the damage was clearly visible.
Abraham Wald, a mathematician, worked on the problem. He noted that reinforcing the spots where damage was evident in returning aircraft wasn’t necessarily the best course of action, given that hits to the cockpit and tail were probably causing aircraft (and aircrew) losses during the mission. In a series of memorandums, he developed a “method of estimating plane vulnerability based on damage of survivors.” As Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s Sherlock Holmes noted more than 100 years ago, “It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”Cole Haan Women's Grandpro Tennis Sneakers Roccia Snake Print Size 10.5BPuma Java Brown w/ Lt. Blue Womens Sneakers Size 9 1/2
Additionally, we need to reinforce our practice of performing quality literature reviews to aid in our identification of these issues.
Employ Skepticism and a Devil’s Advocate Approach. In 1587, the Roman Catholic Church created the position of Promoter of the Faith – commonly referred to as the Devil’s Advocate. To insure a candidate for sainthood met the qualification of being canonized, the role of the Devil’s Advocate was to be the skeptic (loyal to the institution), looking for reasons why not to canonize the individual. Similarly, Leaders must embrace the concept of employing a devil’s advocate approach to identifying 2nd/3rd order and evil effects of technology – if not designating a devil’s advocate with the right expertise to identify assumptions, risks, and effects. But creating any devil’s advocate or “risk identification” positions is only useful if their input is seriously considered.
Embrace the Suck. Lastly, if we are serious in identifying the 2nd/3rd order and evil effects, New Olukai 20271 PKPK Pehuea Paprika / Paprika Women's Slip On Shoes 6 USNike Air Zoom Vomero 11 Women's Athletic Shoe 818100 600 Size 5.5to include identifying new dependencies, ethical issues, or other issues which challenge the adaption or development of a new technology or policy – then we must be honest, resilient, and tough. There will be setbacks, delays, and frustration.
Technology holds the power to improve and change our personal and professional lives. For the military, technology changes the ways wars are fought (i.e., the character of war), but it may also change the nature of war by potentially reducing the “human dimension” in war. If robotics, AI, and other technological developments eliminate “danger, physical exertion, intelligence and friction,”17 is war easier to wage? Will technology increase its potential frequency? Will technology create a further separation between the military and the population by decreasing the number of personnel needed? These may be some of the 2nd/3rd order and “evil” effects we need to consider.
If you enjoyed this post, please see Dr. Marsella’s previous post “Second/Third Order, and Evil Effects” – The Dark Side of Technology (Excellent ASICS GEL-Kayano 23 Cockatoo Safety Yellow Womens 7.5 39 EUR T696N)
… as well as the following posts:REEBOK WALK ULTRA V DMX MAX WIDE BLACK AQ9223 WOMENS US SIZESSkechers Women's D'lites Life Saver NAVY / WHITE 11860 NWLB
– NEW Converse Chucks Taylor CT Brea Hi Anti 549579C Womens Shoes Trainers Sneaker, by Dr. Nir Buras