- Giuseppe Zanotti Python Sneakers Sneakers Size US 5.5 Regular (M, B)
- Diane von Furstenberg Snake Sandals Size US 9 Regular (M, B)
- DS NIKE 1998 AIR PIPPEN II OG RED 18 VINTAGE ZOOM FLIGHT 180 95 MAX 1 90 ONE 96
- NEW! Reef Men's Contoured Cushion Flip Flops Black 121F z
- Gimer Ostuni - sandals adult Unisex
- ECCO men's OFFROAD YUKATAN SANDALS Leather Bison Brown, Black US 11-11.5
- Puma 356041-05 Men's Suede Classic+ Rubber mix Shoes Size 10 US Orange & Blue
- Jordans reveal Wolf Gray & White 834064-003. Mens Authentic size 10.5 Mens
- BRAHMA Men's Black Leather Steel Toe Boots Size 11W
- Nike Air Jordan 2Clean Boots brown size 13 LS dark cinder black tan dress shoes
- LL Bean Slip on Hiking Boots Mens Sz. 11.5 Good Condition
- Loredo Men’s Cowboy Western Boots Black/Beige Size 10.5 D
- NIB Royal RepubliQ Tediq Dandy Midcut Brogue Boots Tan RRP $400
- kenneth cole Men's Half-Time Sy Oxfords new with box (COGNAC) size 9.5 M
- men's shoes J. BREITLIN 11 () elegant brown leather BZ562-C
- Fashion Punk Men Spike Rivet Dress Slip On British Pointy Toe Loafers Party Shoe
- Adidas 8 K DB1728 Nero Scarpe Uomo Sneakers Sportive
- Tory Burch Black 32158696 Boots/Booties Size US 9 Regular (M, B)
- Men's Nike Kobe XI 11 3D Basketball Shoes NEW Blue/White MSRP $160
- 2016 Nike Relentless V 5 SZ 14 Cool Grey Black Volt Running Shoes807092-002
- adidas Women's Questar Byd Sneaker Core Black/Core Black/Haze Coral S17 Sneakers
- Nike Womens SZ 9 Air Zoom Vapor X HC Tennis Shoe Wolf Grey/Hot Lava AA8027-064
- Adidas Barricade Club Women's Tennis Court Fitness Workout Gym Trainers Pink
- Women's Ankle Boots Suede Tassel Pointy Toe Stilettos High Heels Casuals Shoes
- Nike Air Footscape NM men lifestyle sneakers NEW legion green 852629-300
- Nike Zoom Train INCREDIBLY FAST Complete SHOES TRAINERS Trainers Running Shoes
- Women Club Leather Block Heels Stretchy Ruched Over the Knee Boot Warm WinterZip
- Free People Womens shoe US 8 Beige Leather Open Toe Wood block heel 3897
- Blondo Women's Nourlat Winter Boot,Black Tennessee,6 WW US
- Born W91034 Silver Gold Metallic Casual Mary Janes Ballet Flats Women's US 8
- Earth Plover - Women's Closed Back / Open Toe Casual Taupe - 9 Wide
- Cole Haan Womens CH2218-1S Closed Toe Ballet Flats, Chestnut Croc, Size 6.0
- Mephisto Horse Bit Black Cool Air Loafer Womens US Sz 5
- New Attilio Giusti Leombruni AGL Size 7 Tiger Black Gold Ballet Flats Shoes 37
- Gentleman/Lady Rieker-Antistress Women's 41730 Slip-On Moderate price luxurious Very practical
- Nike Revolution 4 Womens Style : 908999 White/White/Pure Platinum Size 6.5
- Nike Free RN Flyknit 831070-801 Women's Sizes US 7 ~ 12 / New in Box!
- Womens sz 5.5 M Privo By Clarks Haley Stork Bronze Leather Shoes Loafers Slip-On
- A2 by Aerosoles Women's Payout Mary Jane Black Snake Faux Leather/Elastic
- LEVIS "SHOES AND BOOTS" COGNAC BROWN LEATHER MENS VINTAGE LOAFER SHOE SIZE 6.5 M
- Croft Barrow Men's Black Leather Slip On Loafers Comfort Shoes Size 8.5
- Toffeln Classic Klog 310 - Red - Work Clogs
- Hush Puppies Foster Men Leather Shoes 10 EW Red-Brown
- Skechers Harsen - Ortego Black Blk Mens Slip-On Size 11M
- Style & Co. Arianah Gray Womens Shoes Size 10 M Heels MSRP $69.99
- Brinley Co Women's Spiro Ankle Boot, Black, 7 Regular US
- STYLE&CO. TINY LOW SHAFT FAUX-FUR ANKLE BOOT CHESTNUT 6M-Original Retail $60
- Bottes CASUAL CORNER Cuir Noir T 40 TBE
- NEW! Women's June by June Ambrose "Dakota" Faux Fur Boots - (Size: 6.5W)
- Reebok Men's Ziglite Run SE Running Shoes J99250 Black/Red/Silver sz. 9
- Certo Shoe Bruno Brown Two Toned Leather Top Strap Size 40 1/2 Us 8-8 1/2
- BNWT Mens Size 12 Red Rubber Style Thongs Flip Flop Sandals Beach Casual Shoes
- Y-3 Adilette in Core White BC0911 Brand New In Box Free Shipping
- New Seychelles Suede Pom-Pom Slip On Sneakers Womens 9 Aqua Blue Shoes
- Nike Air Jordan 1 Flight 2 Basketball Shoe Black/Infrared 555798-024 Sz 10
- NIKE Air Force 1 West Indies 313641 161 Big Print Size US 12
- MEN'S RODEO COWBOY BOOTS GENUINE LEATHER WESTERN SQUARE TOE BOOTS BLACK COLOR
- Vintage 70s Cognac Color Stirrup Cowboy Boots Size 10
- Guess TITAN Faux Leather WingTip Ankle Boots Black Sz 11-M
- Rockport Toloni Black Leather Ankle Boots Size 9.5
- US 5-11 Classic Men Black Leather Tall Boots Motorcycle Zipper riding Shoes New
- Sperry Top-Sider Men's Cold Bay Winter Boot, Taupe, Size 7.0
- Christian Louboutin Décolleté 100 Nude Pumps Size EU 41 (Approx. US 11) Regular (M, B)
- Vince Black C6856l1001 Wedges Size US 8 Regular (M, B)
- Plenty by Tracy Reese Pewter Adeline Leather Comfort Eur 41 Flats Size US 10 Regular (M, B)
- Nike Air Jordan 10 X Retro Powder Blue 2014 US 9.5
- Nike Men's Kaishi 2.0 SE Running Shoes Black/Grey/Solar Red 9
- adidas Originals EQT Racing ADV W Black Gold White Women Running Shoes B37089：Gentlemen/Ladies： Different Styles And Styles
- adidas S77094 Mens Ace 17.4 FxG Soccer Shoe- Choose SZ/Color.
- CLARKS Men's Ballof Up Sneaker Tan Leather Size 8.5
- Ecco Mens Soft 7 Dark Shadow Grey Leather Oxfords Sneakers EU Sz 47 4725
- WOMEN'S/JUNIOR SHOES SNEAKERS PUMA BASKET HEART GLAM JR [364917 02]
- New $178 Free People Cannon Sneaker Slip On shoe in Navy velvet size 7.5 US, 38
- NEW Womens Round Toe Block Low Heel Pull On Knee High Boots Riding Shoes Plus Sz
- New Nike Air Max Prime SL Running Shoes Grey / Navy 876069-003 Men's 10
- Nike Pre Montreal Racer 17 Leather All Court 2 Low Internationalist Sneaker Neu
- BCBGeneration Womens Cinder Leather Open Toe Ankle Fashion Boots
- Blondo "Fabrizia" Waterproof Shearling Lined Black Boot $349 10M
- Seychelles Women's Preview Ankle Bootie - Choose SZ/Color
- C69 CLARKS VEGAN PATENT LEATHER LOAFERS CROC EMBOSSED SIZE USA 7.5M EURO 37 EUC
- Aerin Sintra Black Patent Leather Women's Slip On Flats Shoes Size US 7 M
- Gentlemen/Ladies Paul Green Womens Sassy Flat Fashion pattern special promotion Seasonal hot sale
- Anne Klein Women's OVI Red Multi/Black Fabric Satin Flat 5 M
- attilio giusti leombruni VETERSCHOEN in black, size 39, retail $375
- 4120 Retail Catherine Malandrino Women’s Athletics Shoes, White/ Metallic Size 9
- Nike Wmns Air Max Plus QS / SE / TN Women Classic Running Shoes Sneakers Pick 1
- adidas Originals Tubular Dawn Women's Black/Black/Black BZ0629
- Sanita Danish Occupational Professional Nurse Clogs Hot Pink Shoes US 6.5/
- Patricia Green Women's Sorrento Too Mule Sky Blue Suede Mules
- SUPREME �~ VANS WHITE CASTLE 2015S.S SIZE: 27cm (70
- Alden Plain Toe Last Plane-To- Shoes 9 150618 (21986
- Ralph Lauren POLO Men's Black Vaughn Canvas Shoes Sz 11.5
- Brooks Brothers Driving Moccasin Brown Leather Shoes Size 10 D Slip On Loafers
- Bolty (Realm Of Chaos) Metal Rock Band Shoes
- Women's size 6.5 red leather Cowboy style Boots 3 inch heels
- Eight Second Angel Womens Bailey Double Buckle Leather, Sandstone, Size 9.0
- Irregular Choice Short Booties High Heel Pumps Shoes EUR39 US8 UK6 Near Mint
- New Jessica Simpson DARBEY Leather Fashion-Ankle Women Boots Sz 6.5 (MSRP $140)
- Man's/Woman's METOKA Shoes 825052 Black 23.5ｃｍ High grade Clearance Export
- samples shoes SLIP ON CREATIVE RECREATION RIO WHITE MEN
- Cole Haan Country Sandals Men's Shoes Fisherman Brown Leather Slip On Sz 10.5 M
- Tommy Hilfiger Size 10.5 Brown Boat Shoes New Mens Shoe
- HANDMADE SANDAL US 9 MEN ANTIQUE LOOK INDIAN BOHO HIPPIE LEATHER SHOES FLIP ON
- Man's/Woman's Tahari Women's Ta-Pandora Loafer Comfortable feeling comfortability Very practical
- size 10 - Mens Knit Casual Athletic Sneakers Running Shoes Tennis Shoe Mevlzz
- NIKE Men's Air Max Flywire Basketball Shoes White & Blue Size 7 454140-104
- ACME DISTRESSED BROWN LEATHER WORK CHORE TRUCKER ENGINEER BOOTS SIZE 9 D
- VINTAGE TONY LAMA R66195 MENS BROWN LEATHER WESTERN URBAN COWBOY BOOTS 14 D
- Christian Louboutin Beige Bianca 140 Mm Pumps Size US 6 Regular (M, B)
- Valentino Burgundy Boots/Booties Size US 8 Regular (M, B)
- Shoe Republic LA Blue Sold Out Strappy Heels Platforms Size US 8 Regular (M, B)
- Nike SB Eric Koston 2 Lt Crimson Black Crystal Mint Sz 10 NIB 580418-603
- NIKE AIR ZOOM TALARIA '16 844695-006 SAFARI BLACK CLAY ORANGE WHITE DS SZ: 9.5
- [902813-001] MEN'S NIKE ARROWZ RUNNING TRAINING SNEAKERS WOLF GREY WHITE 8-12
- NIKE Womens Roshe G AA1851-600 ARCTIC PUNCH/WHITE Womens Size 10
- Brown Leather Roper Cowboy Western Boots 8.5D Oil resistant sole USA harness
- Dr. Martens 8287 Vintage boots US Mens 6 Air Soles
- Larry Maham Mens Western Boots Size 10D BLACK OSTRICH SKIN
- Men's Gordon Rush DILLON Zip up Brown Suede leather Ankle Boots Sz 11.5
- 65329 Black Skechers shoes Men's Memory Foam Dress Casual Comfort Leather Oxford
- Mens Beijing Style Fashion Breathable Cotton Flats Casual Comfort Shoes Slip On
- PUMA Variation Womens B.O.G Limitless Hi Denim (6.5- Choose SZ/Color.
- _xdd25__xd83d_$110 Womens adidas AlphaBounce 1 Parley Running Shoe 10 white eco boost ultra
- White Mountain Cliffs Kesha Mid Calf Winter Boots, Brown
- NIKE LUNARGLIDE+ 3 MENS SHOES/RUNNERS/SNEAKERS/TRAINERS ON EBAY AUSTRALIA!
- Nike Air Max 1 LHM Los Primeros Running Shoes White Red AH7740-100 Mens Size 4
- Womens Suede High Heels Pointy Toe High Top Ankle Boots Prom Shoes Pumps Sexy SZ
- Men's/Women's Corral Ladies' Grey Circle G use Elegant and sturdy packaging Full range of specifications
- Women's Causal Round Toe Flat Mid-Calf Knee High Boot Shoes Size 5 -10 NEW
- Zara Basic Collection Women's Blue Pony Hair Loafers Size 38/7.5
- Clarks Ashland Lake Q Women's Loafer - Size 7 M. Redwood
- Womens PAUL GREEN Black Leather Ballet Flats Sz. 6.5
- Gentleman/Lady FRYE Womens Moccasin- Pick SZ/Color. Easy to use Modern design Fair price
- Stuart Weitzman Mulearky Velvet Mules, Women's Size 8.5M, Smoke
- WOMEN'S/JUNIOR SHOES SNEAKERS NIKE ROSHE TWO (GS) [844655 002]
- Under Armour UA Speedform Gemini 3 [1285481-033] Women Running Shoes Grey/Coral
- Nike Air Max 90 Running 325213-801 ORANGE Womens Size 6
- NIB Golden goose star high top sneakers size 39
- Grasshoppers Women's Windham Boat Shoe Charcoal Jersey Deck Shoes
- Men's 7 for All Mankind "Calvin" Sneaker / Shoe Size 10.5 D White & Black New
- LEHIGH SAFETY SHOE CO. RUBBER LOW TOP SAFETY SHOES STEEL TOE SIZE 8 ANSI
- New Men Slip On Brogue Casual Wedge Heel Shoe Zip British Loafer Korean Fashion
- Nautilus DEFECTIVE Mens Anti Static Steel Toe Shoes N1395
- Caterpillar Men's Switch Steel Toe Running Shoe,Black,7.5 M US
- NIB MIA Women's Ankle Fashion Bootie Brown / Boots Size 7,5/ 8 /9 /10
- Ladies Spot On Zip Up Ankle Boots with Buckle Straps F4364
- Report Women's Long Boots Sz 7.5 Brown Leather Side Zip Pointed Toe Kitten Heels
- $160 New Helly Hansen Women's W Vega Arctic Gray Snow Boot sz 6M
- BX747 DOLLY DONNA shoes black leather women ankle boots
- Dockers Mens Trustee 2.0 Leather Dress Casual Oxford Shoe - Choose SZ/Color
- Gentleman/Lady BUTTERO Reza - black 26.0 Packaging diversity New products in 2018 Personalization trend
- Rockport Fisherman Sandals Brown Leather M9139 Mens Size 10 M
- Men's/Women's Teva Crazy Horse Sandals 45/11 Elegant shape Quality First List of explosions
[Editor’s Note: In Part I of this series, Dr. Nick Marsella addressed the duty we have to examine our assumptions about emergent warfighting technologies / capabilities and their associated implications to identify potential second / third order and “evil” effects. adidas Flashback Runner - Black - WomensAltra Torin 3.0 Athletic Shoes - Women's Size 11, Grey/Purple In today’s post, he prescribes five actions we can embrace both individually and as organizations to avoid confirmation bias and falling into cognitive thinking traps when confronting the ramifications of emergent technologies — Enjoy!]
In part I of my blog post, I advised those advocating for the development and/or fielding of technology to be mindful of the second/third order and possible “evil” effects. I defined “evil” as an unexpected and profound negative implication(s) of the adoption/adaption of a technology and related policy. I also recommended heeding the admonition of Tim Cook, Apple’s CEO, to take responsibility for our technological creations and have the courage to think things through their potential implications – both for the good and the bad.
But even if we as individuals are willing to challenge our assumptions and think broadly and imaginatively, we can still come up short. Why? The answer is due in part to the challenges of prediction and the fact we are human with both great cognitive abilities, but also weaknesses.
First, common sense and many theorists remind us that the future is unknowable.ASICS Women's Gel-Contend 3 Running Shoe, Sz 7.5, Steel Grey/Safety Yellow/PinkAsh Women's Karma Fashion Slip-On Black Sneakers Size 39 EU/ US 8.5 M USThe futurist Arthur C. Clark noted in 1962, “It is impossible to predict the future, and all attempts to do in any detail appear ludicrous within a very few years.” Within this fixed condition of unknowing, the U.S. Departments of Defense and the Army must make choices to determine:
– what capabilities we desire and its related technology;
– where to invest in research and development; and
As Michael E. Raynor pointed out in his book, New Womens Reebok CLUB C FVS CN3416 WHITE / NAVY US 6.0 - 11.0 UNISEX SIZE TAKSE, making choices and developing strategies, which include adopting new technology, where the future is unknowable and “deeply unpredictable” either produces monumental successes or monumental failures.Ryka Women's Vestige RZX Training ShoeNike Wmns Metcon DSX Flyknit Hyper Punch Black Women Training Shoes 849809-009 For a company this can spell financial ruin, while for the Army, it can spell disaster and the loss of Soldiers’ lives and national treasure. Yet, we must also choose a “way ahead” – often by considering “boundaries” – in a sense the left and right limits – of potential implications.
Second, our ability to predict when technology will become available is often in error nor can we accurately determine its implications. For example, in a New York Times editorial on December 8, 1903, it noted: “A man carrying airplane will eventually be built, New Balance Women's Fresh Foam Cruz Ballpark Shoes NavyASICS Dynaflyte 2 - Black - Womensbut only if mathematicians and engineers work steadily for the next ten million years.”5 The Wright Brothers first flight took place the following week, but it took decades for commercial and military aviation to evolve.
Each of the services has faced force modernization challenges due to the adoption of technologies that weren’t mature enough; whose capabilities were over-promised; or did not support operations in the envisioned Operational Environment. For the U.S. Army, Future Combat Systems (FCS) was the most obvious and recent example of this challenge – costing billions of dollars and, just as importantly, lost time and confidence.Nike Womens Air Zoom Fit 2 Running Trainers 819672 Sneakers Shoes 001NEW Womens NEW BALANCE WT 810 PY2 Gray Purple Yellow Running Sneakers Shoes
Third, in terms of future technology, predictions vary widely. For example, predictions by MIT’s Rodney Brooks and futurist/inventor Ray Kurzweil vary widely to the question – “What year do you think human-level Artificial Intelligence [AI, i.e., a true thinking machine] might be achieved with a 50% probability?” Kurzweil predicts AI (as defined) will be available in 2029, while Brooks is a bit more conservative – the year 2200 – a difference of over 170 years.Hoka One One Clifton 4 Blue/Green Running Shoe Women's US 5.5 Eur 36 2/3 (C3,15)Man/Woman Air Max 90 JCRD premium High-quality luxurious Comfortable and natural
While one can understand the difficulty of predicting when “general AI” will be available, other technologies offer similar difficulties. The vision of the “self-driving” autonomous vehicle was first written about and experimented with in the 1920s, yet technological limitations, legal concerns, customer fears, and other barriers make implementing this capability challenging.
Lastly, as Rodney Brooks has highlighted, ADIDAS HIGH TOP LINED CANVAS SNEAKER RARE FIND. SIZE US 7. maintains:
“we tend to overestimate the effect of a technology in the short run and underestimate the effect in the long run.”Nike Air Zoom 90 IT Golf Cleats Rory Mcilory 844648 001 Womens SZ 6
SECOND, THIRD ORDER AND EVIL EFFECTS
I contend that we either:Merrell All Out Crush Tough Mudder Women's J37402 Orange NEWWalking Cradles Women's Sidney Slingback
– intentionally focus on the positive effects of adopting a technology;
– ignore the experts and those who identify the potential downside of technology; and
– fail to think thorough the short, long, and potentially dangerous effects or dependencies – imaginatively.
We do this because we are human, and more often because we fall into the confirmation bias or other cognitive thinking traps that might affect our program or pet technology. As noted by RAND in Truth Decay:ASICS GEL VENTURE 5 T5N8N 9787 TITANIUM PISTACHO PINK GLOW WOMEN SHOES SIZE 6Vibram FiveFingers VI-S Black Women's sizes 36-42 NEW!!!
“Cognitive biases and the ways in which human beings process information and make decisions cause people to look for information, opinion, and analyses that confirm preexisting beliefs, to weigh experience more heavily than data and facts, and then to rely on mental shortcuts and the beliefs of those in the same social networks when forming opinions and making decisions.”9
Yet, the warning signs or signals for many unanticipated effects can be found simply by conducting a literature review of government, think tank, academic, and popular reports (to perhaps include science fiction). This may deter some, given the sheer volume of literature is often overwhelming, but contained within these reports are many of the challenges associated with future technology, such as: the potential for deep fakes, loss of privacy, hacking,NIKE WMNS Air Max Sequent 3 Women's Running Shoes, 908993 403 Size 8 NEWWomens NIKE AIR MAX 1 ESSENTIAL Green Black Trainers 599820 014 accidents, deception, and loss of industries/jobs.
At the national level, both the current and previous administrations published reports on AI, as has the Department of Defense – some more balanced in addressing of issues of fairness, safety, governance, and ethics.10
For example, using photo recognition to help law enforcement and others seems like a great idea, yet its use is increasingly being questioned. This past May, San Francisco became the first city to ban its use, and others may follow suit.11 While some question this decision to ban vice impose a moratorium until the technology produces less errors, the question remains – did the developers and policy makers consider if there would be push back to its introduction given its current performance?Men's/Women's Funtasma Women's Carribean 216 Fine workmanship Highly praised and appreciated by the consumer audience Preferred boutiqueWomens Sneaker Ankle Boots Casual Low Heel High Top Athletic Shoes Outdoor Hot What sources did they consult?
Another challenge is language. You’ve seen the commercials – “there is much we can do with AI” – in farming, business, and even beer making. While “AI” is a clever tag line, it may invoke unnecessary fear and misunderstanding. For example, I believe for most people equate “robotics” and “AI” with the “Terminator” franchise, raising the fear of uncontrolled autonomous military force overwhelming humanity. Even worse – under the moniker of “AI,” we will buy into “snake-oil” propositions.
We are at least decades away from “general AI” where a “system exhibits apparently intelligence behavior at least as advanced as a person” across the “full range of cognitive tasks,” but we continue to flaunt the use of “AI” without elaboration.Womens Shoes Leather Wedge heel Studded Flower Chic Sneakers Ankle Boots CreeperSkechers Womens Trainers, Black (Black/Gold), 3.5 EU
SOME ACTIONS TO TAKE
Embrace a learning organization. Popularized by Peter Senge’s The Fifth Discipline: The Art and Practice of the Learning Organization (1990), a learning organization is a place “where people continually expand their capacity to create the results they truly desire, where new and expansive patterns of thinking are nurtured, where collective aspiration is set free, and where people are continually learning how to learn together.”2020 New High Top Denim Canvas Women Buckle Strap Wedge Heel Sneakers Boots P782 While some question whether we can truly make a learning organization, Senge’s thinking may help solve our problem of identifying 2nd/3rd order and evil effects.
First, we must embrace new and expansive patterns of thinking. Force developers use the acronym – “DOTMPLF-P” as shorthand for Doctrine, Organization, Training, Materiel, Personnel, Leadership, Facilities, and Policy implications – yet other factors might be as important.
For example, trust in automated or robotics systems must be instilled and measured. In one poll, 73% of respondents noted they would be afraid of riding in a fully autonomous vehicle – up 10% points from the previous year.14 What if we develop a military autonomous vehicle or a leader-follower system and one or more of our host nation allies prohibits its use? What happens if an accident occurs and the host population protests, New Balance Women’s 574 Shoes Sneakers - Size 5.5Womens ADIDAS ZX FLUX MPS 2.0 W Black Trainers B35615arguing that the Americans don’t care for their safety?
Technologists and concept developers must move from being stove-piped in labs and single-focused to consider the broader view of technological implications across functions.
Embrace Humility. Given that we cannot predict the future and its potential consequences, developers must seek out diversified opinions, and more importantly, recognize divergent opinions.
Embrace the Data. In New York City during World War II, a small organization of some of the most brilliant minds in America worked in the office of the “Applied Mathematics Panel.” In Europe, the 8th U.S. Air Force suffered from devastating bomber losses. Skechers | 11975/WSL | Women's Synergy | Lady Luck Casual Shoe | Size 8Nike WMN Free TR Fit 2 Print White Blue 524893-400 US 8Leaders wondered where best to reinforce the bombers with additional armor without significantly increasing their weight to improve survivability. Reports indicated returning bombers suffered gunfire hits over the wings and fuselage, but not in the tail or cockpits, so to the casual observer it made sense to reinforce the wings and fuselage where the damage was clearly visible.
Abraham Wald, a mathematician, worked on the problem. He noted that reinforcing the spots where damage was evident in returning aircraft wasn’t necessarily the best course of action, given that hits to the cockpit and tail were probably causing aircraft (and aircrew) losses during the mission. In a series of memorandums, he developed a “method of estimating plane vulnerability based on damage of survivors.” As Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s Sherlock Holmes noted more than 100 years ago, “It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”New Sperry STS82438 Oasis Canal Graphite Women's Boat Shoes 7 USSkechers Sport Womens Breathe Easy Symphony Fashion Sneaker- Select SZ/Color.
Additionally, we need to reinforce our practice of performing quality literature reviews to aid in our identification of these issues.
Employ Skepticism and a Devil’s Advocate Approach. In 1587, the Roman Catholic Church created the position of Promoter of the Faith – commonly referred to as the Devil’s Advocate. To insure a candidate for sainthood met the qualification of being canonized, the role of the Devil’s Advocate was to be the skeptic (loyal to the institution), looking for reasons why not to canonize the individual. Similarly, Leaders must embrace the concept of employing a devil’s advocate approach to identifying 2nd/3rd order and evil effects of technology – if not designating a devil’s advocate with the right expertise to identify assumptions, risks, and effects. But creating any devil’s advocate or “risk identification” positions is only useful if their input is seriously considered.
Embrace the Suck. Lastly, if we are serious in identifying the 2nd/3rd order and evil effects, MNX15 Women's Elevator Shoes OSCAR GRAY Height Increase 6cm by FedEx Fast ShipExcellent ASICS GEL-Kayano 23 Cockatoo Safety Yellow Womens 7.5 39 EUR T696Nto include identifying new dependencies, ethical issues, or other issues which challenge the adaption or development of a new technology or policy – then we must be honest, resilient, and tough. There will be setbacks, delays, and frustration.
Technology holds the power to improve and change our personal and professional lives. For the military, technology changes the ways wars are fought (i.e., the character of war), but it may also change the nature of war by potentially reducing the “human dimension” in war. If robotics, AI, and other technological developments eliminate “danger, physical exertion, intelligence and friction,”17 is war easier to wage? Will technology increase its potential frequency? Will technology create a further separation between the military and the population by decreasing the number of personnel needed? These may be some of the 2nd/3rd order and “evil” effects we need to consider.
If you enjoyed this post, please see Dr. Marsella’s previous post “Second/Third Order, and Evil Effects” – The Dark Side of Technology (Excellent ASICS GEL-Kayano 23 Light Grey Purple Pink Womens 8.5 40 EUR T696N)