- Lauren Ralph Lauren Women's Saida $140 Black Leather Ankle Boots Bootie Sz 7 B
- Man's/Woman's Franco Sarto Annabelle Wedge Booties 7.5 Durable service Sales Italy Modern mode
- New Skechers Go Walk Move Dazzling Women's Suede Faux Fur Boots - Size 9 - Brown
- TOD'S women shoes sz 6 Europe 36.5 brown leather S6845
- LifeStride Womens Xandy WC Fabric Round Toe Knee High Fashion Grey Size 11.0
- Man/Woman adidas Tubular Runner Mens Sneakers F37695 Moderate price new Lightweight shoes
- adidas adizero Prime LTD Unisex Shoes Night Cargo/Black
- Donald J Pliner Mens Morris-01 Penny Loafer Shoes
- Keen Timberwolf Sandals, Men's Size 11.5, Brown
- Vionic Women's Ailie Leather Mary Jane Sport Shoe Size: USA 6,
- Autumn Winter New Style Men's Boots Trendy Casual Sports Running Shoes Y643
- NEW Vans Black Athletic Shoes Men’s Size 9.5, Women’s Size 11
- EMT: Rocky Men's 8" AlphaForce Zipper Waterproof Boots, Size 10
- Wellco US Army Genuine issue military tan desert hot weather combat boots 4.5R
- NIKE Air Zoom Tallac Lite OG ACG Boot Grey Pink 844018 004 - Men Sz 9 NWOB
- VTG HyTest Brown Leather Steel Moc Toe Work Boots Mens Sz 6.5 M DISTRESSED
- Chic England Men Rivet Nightclub Hip Hop Ankle Boots High Top Side Zipper Shoes
- HI-TEC Karoo Mid Boots Brown Suede Outdoor Hiking Trail Work Men's 10.5
- ECCO Men's Clayton Plain Toe Tie Fashion Sneaker SZ 8-8.5 US/ 42 EU IN BOX
- ECCO Ennio Modern Slip On Shoes Men's Loafers Office Casual Work Walking NIB
- Valentino Beige Garavani Women's Leather Ankle Strap Kitten Heels Pumps Size EU 35.5 (Approx. US 5.5) Regular (M, B)
- Christian Louboutin Black Guinievre 120 Spike Caged Heel Boot Pumps Size US 10.5 Regular (M, B)
- Christian Louboutin Turquoise Suede Daffodile Platforms Size EU 38.5 (Approx. US 8.5) Regular (M, B)
- Adidas EQT Support ADV Women's US Sz 8 CQ2253 Grey, Black, Ash Blue MSRP $110.0
- Mens Nike Air Max 1 Woven Midnight Navy Black 725232-400
- Mens Nike Stefan Janoski Max Mid Baroque Brown Black Crimson 807507-206 Size 9.5
- adidas Barricade 2018 All Court Mens Tennis Shoes US 11.5 REF 1608
- Nike WMNS Classic Cortez Leather Forest Gump 807471-103 White/Red Women's Shoes
- Womens Knee High Vintage Faux Suede Flat Heel Riding Boots Pull On Shoes Autumn
- Indigo Rd. Women's Slaire Boot - Choose SZ/Color
- Dunk Jordan 4 SZ 12 VNDS BLK/WHT
- MENS NIKE LUNARGLIDE 8 OC in colors MULTI COLOR / MULTI COLOR SIZE 11.5
- Forever Link High heel Stretch Wrinkled Slouchy Dress Boots. Over-The-Knee Thigh
- LADIES LAREDO STARS AND STRIPES WESTERN BOOTS 52165
- Fashion Womens retro embroidery Flower Round Toe Flats Casual Shoes New #
- Cole Haan Womens Loafers Brown Suede Leather Slip On Horsebit Casual 6 B
- Gentleman/Lady Sperry shoes women size 7.5 Economical and practical Primary quality Very practical
- Christian Dior Yacht Safari Brown Leather Wedge Sandals sz 39
- Donna Karan Black Pointy Stilettos (U.S.) Size 7.5
- STELLA McCARTNEY Shoes 553351 BlueｘMulticolor 38
- Steve Madden Womens gills Leather Low Top Slip On Fashion light blue Size 7.5
- Adidas Pure Boost X Element Womens BB6085 Grey Knit Running Shoes Size 5.5
- Bella Vita Women's Toni II Tall Boot Fawn Super Suede Knee High Boots
- Nike Air Zoom Pegasus 35 Premium Geode Teal/Midnight Spruce/Lt Silver H8392300
- Victoria Women's Inglesa Tintada Puntera Beige Canvas Shoes
- POLO RALPH LAUREN MEN'S BARROTT DARK BROWN WAXY PULL UP LEATHER BOAT Size 13 D
- Brewshoes Men's Shoes Loafers "THE DUDE" Brown Leather Nubuck Slip On Size 7.5
- Salvatore Ferragamo Mens Black Leather Tassel Fringe Dress Loafers Size 9.5 D
- Duck Head Men’s Loafers Casual Kilti Shoes Leather size 10 M
- Converse All Star Chuck Taylor HI M9160 Men Size 11.5 *NEW NO BOX*
- Rush Hour Black Leather Shoe Boots Size 5.5 B US Excellent Brazil
- Unbranded Black Suede Floral Embroidered Western Cowgirl Boots Womens Size 8
- Marc Fisher Black Distressed Leather Edda Zipper Ankle Boots NEW
- GUESS Mallay Black Leather Fashion Knee High Boot Size 8 NIB $190
- Aerosoles Women's First Ave Ankle Boot, Dark Tan Suede, 7 M US
- RALPH LAUREN MENS BROWN BROGUE SHOES SIZE 11.5 E MADE IN USA
- Madden Men's M Groto2 Boat Shoe, Grey, Size 8.0
- NIKE Men's Shoes 385417 Black 26.5ｃｍ
- Man's/Woman's ADIDAS CF Adilette Blanc Noir Excellent craft delicate Fashion dynamic
- Stuart Weitzman Womens Artworld Topaz Metallic Mocassin Leather Loafer Shoes
- Nike Revolution 3 819300-103 Mens sz 13 47.5 Running Shoes White & Black Mesh
- Tommy Hilfiger Mens Sneaker KIRKWOOD Black Leather Fashion Shoe Size (41) 8
- Dan Post Brown Leather Cowboy Boots Mens Size 9.5 D Style 6729 USA
- ALDO Men's (Sz 8) Gwocia Chelsea Boot, Black
- Black Themoblock Insulated Side Zipper Waterproof Extreme Cold Tactical Boots
- Dakota 10" CTCP Oil Transitional Boot Men's Black Oil Transitional Boot 13M
- Gentlemen/Ladies Harley Davidson Boots Many varieties Attractive fashion Authentic guarantee
- #G VTG MENS TONY LAMA COWBOY LEATHER BROWN BOOTS SIZE 12.5 A
- NEW adidas D Rose Menace 2 BB8201 Mens Shoes Trainers Sneakers SALE
- Christian Louboutin Multi Color Cork Blooming Pink Gold Cataclou 60 Flats 40 626 Platforms Size US 10 Regular (M, B)
- Giuseppe Zanotti Black with Gold Hardware Anniversary Edition Pumps Size US 6 Regular (M, B)
- Tory Burch Black Printed Thin Flip Flop Flats Size US 6 Regular (M, B)
- Nike Air Zoom Hyperfuse 2013 size 11 DS NEW NIB NWB Mineral Teal Bronze
- Nike 806941 Mens Prime Hype DF 11 Lightweight Basketball Shoes Sneakers
- Nike Blazer Mid Premium Team Red/White-Gum Size US 10.5 Men's 429988 603
- Nike Roshe One Womens Style : 844994 BLACK/WHITE-DARK GREY Womens Size 10.5
- Brand New Winter ISO Isotoner Men's Slippers ~ Size Large (Shoe size 9.5 ~10.5)
- Halogen "Olivia" Dark Brown Leather Knee High Dress Boot Women Size 5.5 M
- Sperry Top-Sider Men's Hampden Venetian Slip-On Loafer - Choose SZ/Color
- adidas Men's Icon Bounce TPU Collegiate Royal/White/Carbon 10.5 M US
- New! Nike Air Presto Essential Track Red 848187-600 Size 8 Retail $120
- NIKELAB AIR FLIGHT '89 MEN'S CASUAL SHOES SIZE: 9.5 OBSIDIAN WHITE 828295 400
- Women Winter Snow Ankle Boots Fur Lined Back Zipper Flat Leather Pull On Shoes
- Gentleman/Lady Sam Edelman Women's Sadee Ankle Boot Attractive and durable special promotion Official website
- ARIAT 6B Clogs,mules slides, slip ons, chestnut brown
- Clarks Womens Shoes Black Leather Loafers Mary Janes size 8.5
- Gentleman/Lady Frye Ivy Slip-On Cheap Quality First At an affordable price
- Gentleman/Lady Alex+Alex Collapsible Loafers Excellent value real Exquisite workmanship
- Skecher Street Women's Moda-Pearl Rhinestone Fashion Sneakerwhite/silver10 M US
- Men/Women Sundowner Classy Metal Combo Sandal Easy to clean surface Moderate cost Various latest designs
- ADIDAS WOMENS INIKI RUNNER PETROL NIGHT/WHITE CQ2529
- NIKE Womens Nike Downshifter 8 908994-005 LIGHT CARBON Size 10
- NIKE Womens Air Max Torch 4 343851-005 COOL GREY Size 6
- Propet Julene Mary Jane Pink 9.5 Wide (D) WCX003L
- Alegria Women's Kayla Shoes, Black Nappa - 37 M EU / 7-7.5 BM US
- DOLCE & GABBANA Striped Canvas Espadrilles Shoes MONDELLO Beige Black 06219
- Christian Louboutin Dandelion Spikes Flat Patent Slip-035647 Copper (39645
- Dockers Stain Defender,Oil Resistance Men's Casual Comfort Leather Shoes 14 M
- Es Skate Shoe Accel SQ Kelly Hart Sneaker California US 11 Eu 45 Suede Tan Men
- Vans Authentic Shoe Duck Green Gum Size 11 US / 10 UK
- Womens Cowgirl Western Bootie Block Heel, Black Sz 7 Ankle Boots Shoes Of Soul
- Gentleman/Lady Bottines en nubuck elegant a wide range of products Valuable boutique
- Black Leather Soft Moccasin low boot Western Indian fringe Pawnee Women all size
- Clarks Artisan Women’s Black Leather “Pita Austin” Waterproof Ankle Boot Size 5
- ✿SOFFT Aldina Brown Leather Snakeskin-Embossed Comfort Zip Boot 7.5 M NEW! L@@K!
[Editor’s Note: In Part I of this series, Dr. Nick Marsella addressed the duty we have to examine our assumptions about emergent warfighting technologies / capabilities and their associated implications to identify potential second / third order and “evil” effects. Women Wedge Heel Square Toe Slip On Athletic Sneaker SHoes British Oxford SizeNike Downshifter Running Shoes Red / Black 7Y Women 8.5 In today’s post, he prescribes five actions we can embrace both individually and as organizations to avoid confirmation bias and falling into cognitive thinking traps when confronting the ramifications of emergent technologies — Enjoy!]
In part I of my blog post, I advised those advocating for the development and/or fielding of technology to be mindful of the second/third order and possible “evil” effects. I defined “evil” as an unexpected and profound negative implication(s) of the adoption/adaption of a technology and related policy. I also recommended heeding the admonition of Tim Cook, Apple’s CEO, to take responsibility for our technological creations and have the courage to think things through their potential implications – both for the good and the bad.
But even if we as individuals are willing to challenge our assumptions and think broadly and imaginatively, we can still come up short. Why? The answer is due in part to the challenges of prediction and the fact we are human with both great cognitive abilities, but also weaknesses.
First, common sense and many theorists remind us that the future is unknowable.Saucony Endorphin Racer Athletic Shoes - Women's Size 11 - Purple/TealNike Roshe One Flyknit - SIZE 5.5 - NEW - 704927-803 Run Crimson Red White RunThe futurist Arthur C. Clark noted in 1962, “It is impossible to predict the future, and all attempts to do in any detail appear ludicrous within a very few years.” Within this fixed condition of unknowing, the U.S. Departments of Defense and the Army must make choices to determine:
– what capabilities we desire and its related technology;
– where to invest in research and development; and
As Michael E. Raynor pointed out in his book, adidas EQT SUPPORT RF - Black - Womens, making choices and developing strategies, which include adopting new technology, where the future is unknowable and “deeply unpredictable” either produces monumental successes or monumental failures.Nike 579763-800 Women's Sky Hi Mesh Total Crimson Mango Sail Wedge Sz 6.5 RAREWMNS Nike Air Max 1 Ultra SE Ocean Fog 861711 400 WMNS Sizes For a company this can spell financial ruin, while for the Army, it can spell disaster and the loss of Soldiers’ lives and national treasure. Yet, we must also choose a “way ahead” – often by considering “boundaries” – in a sense the left and right limits – of potential implications.
Second, our ability to predict when technology will become available is often in error nor can we accurately determine its implications. For example, in a New York Times editorial on December 8, 1903, it noted: “A man carrying airplane will eventually be built, Mizuno Wave Rider 21 Sneaker - Women's Size 6 RedNike 818061 001 Air Huarache Run Ultra KJCRD Blue Red Print Women's Sz 6.5 MINTbut only if mathematicians and engineers work steadily for the next ten million years.”5 The Wright Brothers first flight took place the following week, but it took decades for commercial and military aviation to evolve.
Each of the services has faced force modernization challenges due to the adoption of technologies that weren’t mature enough; whose capabilities were over-promised; or did not support operations in the envisioned Operational Environment. For the U.S. Army, Future Combat Systems (FCS) was the most obvious and recent example of this challenge – costing billions of dollars and, just as importantly, lost time and confidence.Man/Woman Nike Women's Free RN Running Shoes New Listing Elegant and sturdy packaging Human borderNEW BALANCE Womens 'Classics CW620' Redwoods Casual Sneakers Sz 9.5 NEW! 229758
Third, in terms of future technology, predictions vary widely. For example, predictions by MIT’s Rodney Brooks and futurist/inventor Ray Kurzweil vary widely to the question – “What year do you think human-level Artificial Intelligence [AI, i.e., a true thinking machine] might be achieved with a 50% probability?” Kurzweil predicts AI (as defined) will be available in 2029, while Brooks is a bit more conservative – the year 2200 – a difference of over 170 years.Women's Cole Haan W07032K GrandPro Tennis Leather Sneakers 10 BKSWISS ST329 CMF WHITE CLASSIC BLUE RIBBON RED 95824 130 WOMENS US SIZES
While one can understand the difficulty of predicting when “general AI” will be available, other technologies offer similar difficulties. The vision of the “self-driving” autonomous vehicle was first written about and experimented with in the 1920s, yet technological limitations, legal concerns, customer fears, and other barriers make implementing this capability challenging.
Lastly, as Rodney Brooks has highlighted, K-Swiss Women's Tubes Millennia CMF Sneaker maintains:
“we tend to overestimate the effect of a technology in the short run and underestimate the effect in the long run.”New Women Pierced Breathable Athletic Casual Creepers Fashion Real Leather Shoes
SECOND, THIRD ORDER AND EVIL EFFECTS
– intentionally focus on the positive effects of adopting a technology;
– ignore the experts and those who identify the potential downside of technology; and
– fail to think thorough the short, long, and potentially dangerous effects or dependencies – imaginatively.
We do this because we are human, and more often because we fall into the confirmation bias or other cognitive thinking traps that might affect our program or pet technology. As noted by RAND in Truth Decay:Womens Pull on Fashion Athletics Snakers Stretchy Ankle Boots Breathable ShoesWomen Round Toe Platform Wedge High Heel Fashion Sneaker Leather Ankle Boots New
“Cognitive biases and the ways in which human beings process information and make decisions cause people to look for information, opinion, and analyses that confirm preexisting beliefs, to weigh experience more heavily than data and facts, and then to rely on mental shortcuts and the beliefs of those in the same social networks when forming opinions and making decisions.”9
Yet, the warning signs or signals for many unanticipated effects can be found simply by conducting a literature review of government, think tank, academic, and popular reports (to perhaps include science fiction). This may deter some, given the sheer volume of literature is often overwhelming, but contained within these reports are many of the challenges associated with future technology, such as: the potential for deep fakes, loss of privacy, hacking,US4-US9 Women Cow Leather Sport Sandals Breathable Fashion Sneakers High HeelsMen's/Women's 580 MG VERNIS OR High quality and low overhead special promotion classic style accidents, deception, and loss of industries/jobs.
At the national level, both the current and previous administrations published reports on AI, as has the Department of Defense – some more balanced in addressing of issues of fairness, safety, governance, and ethics.10
For example, using photo recognition to help law enforcement and others seems like a great idea, yet its use is increasingly being questioned. This past May, San Francisco became the first city to ban its use, and others may follow suit.11 While some question this decision to ban vice impose a moratorium until the technology produces less errors, the question remains – did the developers and policy makers consider if there would be push back to its introduction given its current performance?NIKE Women's Flex Experience 7 Running Shoe, Black/White-Gray, 8W US NWB $150.00New Sperry STS82436 Oasis Canal Navy Blue Women's Boat Shoes 9 US What sources did they consult?
Another challenge is language. You’ve seen the commercials – “there is much we can do with AI” – in farming, business, and even beer making. While “AI” is a clever tag line, it may invoke unnecessary fear and misunderstanding. For example, I believe for most people equate “robotics” and “AI” with the “Terminator” franchise, raising the fear of uncontrolled autonomous military force overwhelming humanity. Even worse – under the moniker of “AI,” we will buy into “snake-oil” propositions.
We are at least decades away from “general AI” where a “system exhibits apparently intelligence behavior at least as advanced as a person” across the “full range of cognitive tasks,” but we continue to flaunt the use of “AI” without elaboration.Nike LF1 Flyknit Workboot Women's Boots, 860558 001 Size 6.5 NEWScott turquoise/gray running sneakers w/New AeroFoam & visible reflectors, 6
SOME ACTIONS TO TAKE
Embrace a learning organization. Popularized by Peter Senge’s The Fifth Discipline: The Art and Practice of the Learning Organization (1990), a learning organization is a place “where people continually expand their capacity to create the results they truly desire, where new and expansive patterns of thinking are nurtured, where collective aspiration is set free, and where people are continually learning how to learn together.”KSWISS Women's Hoke Black Memory Foam 3 Strap Comfort Fashion Sneakers Size 11 While some question whether we can truly make a learning organization, Senge’s thinking may help solve our problem of identifying 2nd/3rd order and evil effects.
First, we must embrace new and expansive patterns of thinking. Force developers use the acronym – “DOTMPLF-P” as shorthand for Doctrine, Organization, Training, Materiel, Personnel, Leadership, Facilities, and Policy implications – yet other factors might be as important.
For example, trust in automated or robotics systems must be instilled and measured. In one poll, 73% of respondents noted they would be afraid of riding in a fully autonomous vehicle – up 10% points from the previous year.14 What if we develop a military autonomous vehicle or a leader-follower system and one or more of our host nation allies prohibits its use? What happens if an accident occurs and the host population protests, Adidas SUPERNOVA GLIDE BOOST 7 ATR Womens 8.5 40 2//3 Champagne Silver GoldCLARKS AYALA LO CLOUDSTEPPERS GREY NUBUCK 26137785 M WOMENS US SIZESarguing that the Americans don’t care for their safety?
Technologists and concept developers must move from being stove-piped in labs and single-focused to consider the broader view of technological implications across functions.
Embrace Humility. Given that we cannot predict the future and its potential consequences, developers must seek out diversified opinions, and more importantly, recognize divergent opinions.
Embrace the Data. In New York City during World War II, a small organization of some of the most brilliant minds in America worked in the office of the “Applied Mathematics Panel.” In Europe, the 8th U.S. Air Force suffered from devastating bomber losses. Gentlemen/Ladies Reebok Shoes 611291 Pink 23.5ｃｍ Fine processing special promotion Beautiful and charmingNEW Converse Chucks Taylor CT Brea Hi Anti 549579C Womens Shoes Trainers SneakerLeaders wondered where best to reinforce the bombers with additional armor without significantly increasing their weight to improve survivability. Reports indicated returning bombers suffered gunfire hits over the wings and fuselage, but not in the tail or cockpits, so to the casual observer it made sense to reinforce the wings and fuselage where the damage was clearly visible.
Abraham Wald, a mathematician, worked on the problem. He noted that reinforcing the spots where damage was evident in returning aircraft wasn’t necessarily the best course of action, given that hits to the cockpit and tail were probably causing aircraft (and aircrew) losses during the mission. In a series of memorandums, he developed a “method of estimating plane vulnerability based on damage of survivors.” As Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s Sherlock Holmes noted more than 100 years ago, “It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”Man's/Woman's Naughty Monkey Women's Kaleidoscope Fashion Sneaker Consumer first Fast delivery Easy lifeMr/Ms adidas Adilette Women's Ash Pink CQ2236 Online Shopping High quality and economy Complete specifications
Additionally, we need to reinforce our practice of performing quality literature reviews to aid in our identification of these issues.
Employ Skepticism and a Devil’s Advocate Approach. In 1587, the Roman Catholic Church created the position of Promoter of the Faith – commonly referred to as the Devil’s Advocate. To insure a candidate for sainthood met the qualification of being canonized, the role of the Devil’s Advocate was to be the skeptic (loyal to the institution), looking for reasons why not to canonize the individual. Similarly, Leaders must embrace the concept of employing a devil’s advocate approach to identifying 2nd/3rd order and evil effects of technology – if not designating a devil’s advocate with the right expertise to identify assumptions, risks, and effects. But creating any devil’s advocate or “risk identification” positions is only useful if their input is seriously considered.
Embrace the Suck. Lastly, if we are serious in identifying the 2nd/3rd order and evil effects, Zero Drop Vibram Women's shoes Pink & Mint VI-B Fitness & Yoga Shoe Trek OutsoleGeox Women's Ophira Embellished Trainers - Blackto include identifying new dependencies, ethical issues, or other issues which challenge the adaption or development of a new technology or policy – then we must be honest, resilient, and tough. There will be setbacks, delays, and frustration.
Technology holds the power to improve and change our personal and professional lives. For the military, technology changes the ways wars are fought (i.e., the character of war), but it may also change the nature of war by potentially reducing the “human dimension” in war. If robotics, AI, and other technological developments eliminate “danger, physical exertion, intelligence and friction,”17 is war easier to wage? Will technology increase its potential frequency? Will technology create a further separation between the military and the population by decreasing the number of personnel needed? These may be some of the 2nd/3rd order and “evil” effects we need to consider.
If you enjoyed this post, please see Dr. Marsella’s previous post “Second/Third Order, and Evil Effects” – The Dark Side of Technology (Easy Spirit Womens Traveltime 218 Athletic Mules - Choose SZ/Color)
– ASICS Womens Gel-Zaraca 4 Running Shoe- Pick SZ/Color., by Dr. Nir Buras