- West Marine Two Tone Brown Leather Three Eye Classic Boat Shoes Mocs 10.5 NEW
- Summer Men's Hollow Out Breathable Slip On Casual Sport Sandal Fisherman Shoes
- Sperry Topsider Kiltie Black Brown Leather Loafers Mens Size 9 M
- ECCO Mens Edinburgh Bike Toe Slip-On Loafer 10- US- Pick SZ/Color.
- Women's Cato Brown Suede Knee Boots Size-11 New
- Dolce Vita Black 'Sparrow' Faux Suede Thigh High Almond Toe Boot Size 6
- Roamers Classic Suede Desert Boots Womens Real Leather Ankle Boots Shoes UK3-8
- Northside Mont Black Boot Women's 10 Black
- Man's/Woman's LAFUMA WOMEN'S BOOTS-SIZE 9 Fine workmanship New style Different styles and styles
- asics Japan WIN JOB 32L SAFETY Shoes FIS32L Bordeaux x Beige New
- Roberto Serpentini 47205 Black Leather Zip-Up Ankle Boots 43 / US 10
- NEW Mens Flip Flops Size Large 10 - 11 Black Blue Sandals Cloth Straps Pool
- Tommy Bahamas NEW 13 Anchors Ashore Brown Leather Flip Flops $80
- Josef Seibel Black Leather Oxford The European Comfort Shoe Womens 36 US 5-5.5
- NEW Xray Men's Calvert Mid-top Casual Shoes - Beige - Size: 12
- Puma Meek Mill Dreamchasers Basket - White - Mens
- Polo Sport Ralph Lauren Mens Shoes Khaki Leather Duck Boots Shoes Size 8 1/2 B
- Dickies Men Javelin 8" Soft Toe Tactical Safety Work Boot Black Leather Size 13
- BATES TACTICAL BOOTS 8" Super Lightweight Zip Security Police 7-15 R/W
- ROXDIA Faux Suede Leather Men Boots Spring Autumn And Winter Man Shoes Ankle
- Men's Brown Leather Boulet Western Boots sz:8C *NARROW* (X)
- Men Fred Perry Byron Mid Suede Chukka Boots Sand Suede Ankle Boots B7400-212 NEW
- Christian Louboutin Black Layered Leather Pointed Boots/Booties Size US 7.5
- Dior Black Comete In Noir Color Pumps Size US 8.5 Regular (M, B)
- New Florsheim Imperial Henry 8.5 D brown wicker/calf leather (2380)
- Merrell Men's Jungle Moc Nubuck Waterproof Slip-On Shoe,Brown,10 W US
- adidas Flashback Primeknit Runner - Purple - Womens
- Rag & Bone Black Leather 'dalia' Wraparound Tie Bow Suede 38 Boots/Booties Size US 8 Regular (M, B)
- NIKE AIR MAX INFURIATE LOW Mens Trainers US 10 REF 2558
- Nike Zoom Vapor 9 Tour Ortholite Men Tennis Sneaker Size 11 E095 Pink 488000-016
- adidas Performance Women's Ultraboost W Running Shoe-BB6151
- Nike Roshe Run Santa Monica Cloud Women's US Size 6.5.
- Keds Women's Cali II Flat Black Canvas Sneakers
- Womens Warm Winter Buckle Strap Round Toe Faux Suede Wedge Knee High Snow Boots
- Nike Zoom Revis NYC Edition DS Sz. 9
- Nike Air Force 1 07 Dark Stucco Grey Black AF1 Men Shoes Sneakers AA4083-007
- NEW! LADIES Smoky Mountain Boots Cowboy Leather Western 11" - Bomber Tan - U Toe
- STEVEN by Steve Madden Women's Cal Fashion Sneaker - Choose SZ/color
- New! Skechers Womens Relaxed Fit: Career - Self Starter 48995 Navy F59
- New VANELi Womens Sidony708591-001 Black Ballet Flats Size 5.5
- Clarks Hayden Opal Burgundy Suede Mary Janes Shoes 7.5W NEW
- CHLOE $465 Prince dark brown calf leather ballet flats Italian size 39 WORN ONCE
- Diego Bellini 5007 Silver Leather Slip-On Bow Loafer Shoes 40.5 / US 10.5
- $425 Stuart Weitzman Capricorn Cap Toe Chain Bow Ballet Flats 9.5 W Beige-Black
- Puma Womens Basket Platform NS Opulence Icelandic Blue Shoes Size 9 (364587-02)
- UNISEX Vans x Disney Pixar Toy Story Woody Sk8 Hi Tops Brown High Tops New Rare
- Nike Air Max 1 LX Just Do It Womens 917691-800 Orange Running Shoes Size 6
- Klogs Womens shoes size 8 W brown leather slip resistant Nursing clogs (b35)
- Black Skechers shoes Women Memory Foam Work Slip Resistant EH Safe Comfort sz 10
- Sperry Top-Sider Men's Gold Captains Oxford Blue Suede Oxfords
- Men's FARANZI brown org black red faux leather slip on loafers shoes style F4843
- Sanuk Rounder Hobo Hemp BROWN GUM Mens Slip On Loafer Shoe Sidewalk Surfer NEW 9
- HOT Mens Slip On Loafers Low Top Sneaker Croco Creeper Flat Zipper Casual Shoes
- Mark Nason Los Angeles Women's Dulles Sneaker
- $99 size 10 Bare Traps Dallia Black Riding Knee High Boots Womens Shoes
- Womens Size 10 Johnston & Murphy Ankle Boots Red /wine Leather Gorgious!!
- Vasque Breeze 2.0 Women's Gargoyle/African Violet Hiking Boot 8.5M
- Vince Camuto Catinca Ankle Boot Black Leather Boho Chic Open Toe Ankle Bootie
- Donna Karan womens rain boots size 8
- Skechers USA Men's Expected Gomel Slip-on Loafer, Navy, 9.5 M US
- 595$ Tod's New Laccetto Black Leather Gommino Drivers Size US 14 Made In Italy
- V 1969 Italia Mens Loafer Brown JEREMY
- Dr. Brinkmann 600389 Clog Male Clogs Nappa Leather Black Black
- COMFORTABLE DONALD J PLINER BROWN GENUINE SNAKE SKIN LEATHER SHOES SIZE 8.5 M
- ADIDAS Tubular Invader Men Fashion Sneakers Size 9.5 Navy Leather S81793
- New! Men's Skechers 51241 Vigor 2.0 Trait Sport Shoes (WIDE WIDTH) Tan/Black C35
- NEW * POLAR FOX * MENS LEATHER ANKLE BOOTS MILITARY COMBAT STYLE WORKING SHOES
- Christian Louboutin Black Daffodile 160 Calf Graine Platforms Size US 5 Regular (M, B)
- Christian Louboutin Black Jonatina 100 Pvc Transparent Ankle Strap Sandal Heel Pumps Size EU 39 (Approx. US 9) Regular (M, B)
- Clarks Tan Somerset Ankle Boots/Booties Size US 8.5 Regular (M, B)
- Mens Patent Leather Stage Dance Riding Nightclub Military Shoes Knee High Boots
- CONVERSE WOOLRICH "CTAS HI" GREEN & BLUE& BLACK 153835C WOOLRICH NEW SIZE 10.5
- Wolverine men's Pony Brown Waterproof Work Boot 8M
- NEW Danner Tactical Military Recon hunting Black Boot GORE-TEX mens 7D Eur 40
- Mens Wolverine Brown Leather Boots, Size 8.5 D, Style Odessa 02701, New!
- New Bed Stu Benny Oxford Leather Men Shoes Size 9
- GBX Men's Attaboy Oxford - Choose SZ/Color
- Mr/Ms: nike force savage cleats: Economy
[Editor’s Note: In Part I of this series, Dr. Nick Marsella addressed the duty we have to examine our assumptions about emergent warfighting technologies / capabilities and their associated implications to identify potential second / third order and “evil” effects. Womens Pull on Fashion Breathable Athletics Sneakers Casual Breathable Shoes NEWKURU Chicane Womens Size 9.5 Orthopedic Hiking Walking Sneakers Shoes Black VGUC In today’s post, he prescribes five actions we can embrace both individually and as organizations to avoid confirmation bias and falling into cognitive thinking traps when confronting the ramifications of emergent technologies — Enjoy!]
In part I of my blog post, I advised those advocating for the development and/or fielding of technology to be mindful of the second/third order and possible “evil” effects. I defined “evil” as an unexpected and profound negative implication(s) of the adoption/adaption of a technology and related policy. I also recommended heeding the admonition of Tim Cook, Apple’s CEO, to take responsibility for our technological creations and have the courage to think things through their potential implications – both for the good and the bad.
But even if we as individuals are willing to challenge our assumptions and think broadly and imaginatively, we can still come up short. Why? The answer is due in part to the challenges of prediction and the fact we are human with both great cognitive abilities, but also weaknesses.
First, common sense and many theorists remind us that the future is unknowable.Womens Shoes Breathable Fashion Leather Sneakers Sport Ankle Boots High HeelsASICS Women's Gt-1000 5 running Shoe MSRP $100 NWB NEWThe futurist Arthur C. Clark noted in 1962, “It is impossible to predict the future, and all attempts to do in any detail appear ludicrous within a very few years.” Within this fixed condition of unknowing, the U.S. Departments of Defense and the Army must make choices to determine:
– what capabilities we desire and its related technology;
– where to invest in research and development; and
As Michael E. Raynor pointed out in his book, adidas Originals Womens Shoes | Tubular Defiant Fashion Sneakers, making choices and developing strategies, which include adopting new technology, where the future is unknowable and “deeply unpredictable” either produces monumental successes or monumental failures.PRIMADONNA COLLECTION WOMEN'S ZEBRA PRINT CANVAS SNEAKERS EURO SIZE 36 NEW IN BORyka Sea Breeze Women's Black Washable Mesh Slip Resistant Walker wide width For a company this can spell financial ruin, while for the Army, it can spell disaster and the loss of Soldiers’ lives and national treasure. Yet, we must also choose a “way ahead” – often by considering “boundaries” – in a sense the left and right limits – of potential implications.
Second, our ability to predict when technology will become available is often in error nor can we accurately determine its implications. For example, in a New York Times editorial on December 8, 1903, it noted: “A man carrying airplane will eventually be built, New Balance Women’s 574 Shoes Sneakers - Size 5.5Men's/Women's Adidas Key Flex, Womens 8.5, Green/Silver/Black Rich design auction Very good classificationbut only if mathematicians and engineers work steadily for the next ten million years.”5 The Wright Brothers first flight took place the following week, but it took decades for commercial and military aviation to evolve.
Each of the services has faced force modernization challenges due to the adoption of technologies that weren’t mature enough; whose capabilities were over-promised; or did not support operations in the envisioned Operational Environment. For the U.S. Army, Future Combat Systems (FCS) was the most obvious and recent example of this challenge – costing billions of dollars and, just as importantly, lost time and confidence.Women Floral Rivets Stud Genuine Leather Wedge Heel Board Street Sneakers ShoesConverse One Star Ox Womens Black Gold Leather Trainers
Third, in terms of future technology, predictions vary widely. For example, predictions by MIT’s Rodney Brooks and futurist/inventor Ray Kurzweil vary widely to the question – “What year do you think human-level Artificial Intelligence [AI, i.e., a true thinking machine] might be achieved with a 50% probability?” Kurzweil predicts AI (as defined) will be available in 2029, while Brooks is a bit more conservative – the year 2200 – a difference of over 170 years.Skechers On the Go 600 (1806) Branded Women's Summer Shoes Sandals Flip FlopsWomens Nike Internationalist Dark Stucco Trainers 828407 015
While one can understand the difficulty of predicting when “general AI” will be available, other technologies offer similar difficulties. The vision of the “self-driving” autonomous vehicle was first written about and experimented with in the 1920s, yet technological limitations, legal concerns, customer fears, and other barriers make implementing this capability challenging.
Lastly, as Rodney Brooks has highlighted, Nike WMN Free TR Fit 2 Print White Blue 524893-400 US 8 maintains:
“we tend to overestimate the effect of a technology in the short run and underestimate the effect in the long run.”MBT KAYA Womens 9.5 Black Mary Jane Nubuck Leather Toning Exercise Walking Shoes
SECOND, THIRD ORDER AND EVIL EFFECTS
– intentionally focus on the positive effects of adopting a technology;
– ignore the experts and those who identify the potential downside of technology; and
– fail to think thorough the short, long, and potentially dangerous effects or dependencies – imaginatively.
We do this because we are human, and more often because we fall into the confirmation bias or other cognitive thinking traps that might affect our program or pet technology. As noted by RAND in Truth Decay:Reebok Classic Harman Run W Bare Beige/Chalk/Chalk Pink Womens Running Size 11MReebok Size 6.5 DMX Walking Sneakers Blue New Womens Shoes
“Cognitive biases and the ways in which human beings process information and make decisions cause people to look for information, opinion, and analyses that confirm preexisting beliefs, to weigh experience more heavily than data and facts, and then to rely on mental shortcuts and the beliefs of those in the same social networks when forming opinions and making decisions.”9
Yet, the warning signs or signals for many unanticipated effects can be found simply by conducting a literature review of government, think tank, academic, and popular reports (to perhaps include science fiction). This may deter some, given the sheer volume of literature is often overwhelming, but contained within these reports are many of the challenges associated with future technology, such as: the potential for deep fakes, loss of privacy, hacking,Nike Koth Mid Women's Sneaker Boot 749532 555 Size 12ADIDAS TUBULAR VIRAL w bb2067 NMD NP 109,90 NEW accidents, deception, and loss of industries/jobs.
At the national level, both the current and previous administrations published reports on AI, as has the Department of Defense – some more balanced in addressing of issues of fairness, safety, governance, and ethics.10
For example, using photo recognition to help law enforcement and others seems like a great idea, yet its use is increasingly being questioned. This past May, San Francisco became the first city to ban its use, and others may follow suit.11 While some question this decision to ban vice impose a moratorium until the technology produces less errors, the question remains – did the developers and policy makers consider if there would be push back to its introduction given its current performance?Men/Women Adidas energy booster reveal women 8 Innovative design King of quantity The first batch of customers' comprehensive specificationsMerrell Around Town Sunvue Slide Women's Size 7 Natural Tan 25%OFF What sources did they consult?
Another challenge is language. You’ve seen the commercials – “there is much we can do with AI” – in farming, business, and even beer making. While “AI” is a clever tag line, it may invoke unnecessary fear and misunderstanding. For example, I believe for most people equate “robotics” and “AI” with the “Terminator” franchise, raising the fear of uncontrolled autonomous military force overwhelming humanity. Even worse – under the moniker of “AI,” we will buy into “snake-oil” propositions.
We are at least decades away from “general AI” where a “system exhibits apparently intelligence behavior at least as advanced as a person” across the “full range of cognitive tasks,” but we continue to flaunt the use of “AI” without elaboration.Brand New Under Armour Micro G Assert 6 Women's Running Shoe 1266252Propét Women's TravelFit Strap Walking Shoe, Black, Size 6.5
SOME ACTIONS TO TAKE
Embrace a learning organization. Popularized by Peter Senge’s The Fifth Discipline: The Art and Practice of the Learning Organization (1990), a learning organization is a place “where people continually expand their capacity to create the results they truly desire, where new and expansive patterns of thinking are nurtured, where collective aspiration is set free, and where people are continually learning how to learn together.”US Women Leather Platform Fashion Shoes Rhinestones Round Toe Athletics Sneakers While some question whether we can truly make a learning organization, Senge’s thinking may help solve our problem of identifying 2nd/3rd order and evil effects.
First, we must embrace new and expansive patterns of thinking. Force developers use the acronym – “DOTMPLF-P” as shorthand for Doctrine, Organization, Training, Materiel, Personnel, Leadership, Facilities, and Policy implications – yet other factors might be as important.
For example, trust in automated or robotics systems must be instilled and measured. In one poll, 73% of respondents noted they would be afraid of riding in a fully autonomous vehicle – up 10% points from the previous year.14 What if we develop a military autonomous vehicle or a leader-follower system and one or more of our host nation allies prohibits its use? What happens if an accident occurs and the host population protests, Vans Authentic Women's Island Paradise/True White A38EMQ7WNIGHT & DAY 172PTS TAUPE women's shoes nappa leather suede leather sneakersarguing that the Americans don’t care for their safety?
Technologists and concept developers must move from being stove-piped in labs and single-focused to consider the broader view of technological implications across functions.
Embrace Humility. Given that we cannot predict the future and its potential consequences, developers must seek out diversified opinions, and more importantly, recognize divergent opinions.
Embrace the Data. In New York City during World War II, a small organization of some of the most brilliant minds in America worked in the office of the “Applied Mathematics Panel.” In Europe, the 8th U.S. Air Force suffered from devastating bomber losses. Easy Street Women's Erin Slingback Black Synthetic Buckle FasteningSkechers Gratis Shake It Off Womens Sneakers Black 11Leaders wondered where best to reinforce the bombers with additional armor without significantly increasing their weight to improve survivability. Reports indicated returning bombers suffered gunfire hits over the wings and fuselage, but not in the tail or cockpits, so to the casual observer it made sense to reinforce the wings and fuselage where the damage was clearly visible.
Abraham Wald, a mathematician, worked on the problem. He noted that reinforcing the spots where damage was evident in returning aircraft wasn’t necessarily the best course of action, given that hits to the cockpit and tail were probably causing aircraft (and aircrew) losses during the mission. In a series of memorandums, he developed a “method of estimating plane vulnerability based on damage of survivors.” As Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s Sherlock Holmes noted more than 100 years ago, “It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”Skechers Women's Go Walk Lite-15372 Wide Sneaker-Select SZ/ColorMerrell Women's Bare Access Flex Trail Runner, Ice, 7.5 M US
Additionally, we need to reinforce our practice of performing quality literature reviews to aid in our identification of these issues.
Employ Skepticism and a Devil’s Advocate Approach. In 1587, the Roman Catholic Church created the position of Promoter of the Faith – commonly referred to as the Devil’s Advocate. To insure a candidate for sainthood met the qualification of being canonized, the role of the Devil’s Advocate was to be the skeptic (loyal to the institution), looking for reasons why not to canonize the individual. Similarly, Leaders must embrace the concept of employing a devil’s advocate approach to identifying 2nd/3rd order and evil effects of technology – if not designating a devil’s advocate with the right expertise to identify assumptions, risks, and effects. But creating any devil’s advocate or “risk identification” positions is only useful if their input is seriously considered.
Embrace the Suck. Lastly, if we are serious in identifying the 2nd/3rd order and evil effects, DC Women's Villain SE Slip-on Skate Shoe - Choose SZ/ColorPUMA Womens Vikky Leopard Field Hockey Shoe- Pick SZ/Color.to include identifying new dependencies, ethical issues, or other issues which challenge the adaption or development of a new technology or policy – then we must be honest, resilient, and tough. There will be setbacks, delays, and frustration.
Technology holds the power to improve and change our personal and professional lives. For the military, technology changes the ways wars are fought (i.e., the character of war), but it may also change the nature of war by potentially reducing the “human dimension” in war. If robotics, AI, and other technological developments eliminate “danger, physical exertion, intelligence and friction,”17 is war easier to wage? Will technology increase its potential frequency? Will technology create a further separation between the military and the population by decreasing the number of personnel needed? These may be some of the 2nd/3rd order and “evil” effects we need to consider.
If you enjoyed this post, please see Dr. Marsella’s previous post “Second/Third Order, and Evil Effects” – The Dark Side of Technology (adidas Performance Womens Adizero Ambition 3 Running Shoes- Pick SZ/Color.)
– Skechers Performance Women's Go Walk 4 Glorify Walking Shoe Black/White 8.5 M US, by Dr. Nir Buras