- Christian Louboutin Navy New Very Prive Yellow Polka Dot Peep Toe Pumps Size EU 38 (Approx. US 8) Regular (M, B)
- Vince Black Capri Pumps Size US 8.5 Regular (M, B)
- Bloch Black Bu104 Flats Size US 9 Regular (M, B)
- Nike Jordan Red/Black Size 14
- NIKE BLAZER MID PRM VNTG "RED CROC" BRAND NEW 638261-601 MENS SIZES
- New Fashion Mens Beach Sand Flip Flops Sandals Shoes Flat Heel Dual Summer 2017
- New Santoni Red Chocolate Brown Semi Patent Penny Loafers 6 B
- RYCORE ZERO 4 RED BLACK BASKETBALL SHOES MEN'S SIZE 8-13 FREE SHIPPING!
- Men's/Women's Fila Men's 2A Advanced Running Shoes wholesale International choice Clearance sale
- MEN'S BROWN ROPER WSTERN COWBOY BOOTS SIZE 8.5D MADE in USA
- Mens Vintage Cowtown Brown Bullhide / Leather Handcrafted Cowboy Boots 8 D New
- MUCK Woody Max Cold Weather Camo Premium Hunting Boots 8,9,10,11,12,13 WDM-MOCT
- Cabelas Mens 8 Leather Thinsulate Ultra Rubber Hunting Rubber Boots 83 0506 b3e
- Legend of Zelda Link Halloween Costume Game of Thrones Jon Snow Military Boots
- Dr Doc Martens Black Leather Work Boots Sz 10
- ARMANDO CABRAL BURGUNDY WINGTIP SHOES - EXTRA LIGHT SOLE SIZE UK7, US8
- 51545 Skechers Mens Equalizer 2.0 Slip On Shoe- Choose SZ/Color.
- Man/Woman: nike roshe run: order
- Adidas ADVANTAGE CL K BB9976 White Women's Shoes Kids Sneakers Sports
- Womens Nike Free 5.0 TR Fit 4 shoe Size 10 NEW 629496-002
- STEVE MADDEN Ecentrcq Women Quilted Slip On Fashion Sneakers Black
- Schutz Womens Abiha Ankle Boot Side Zipper Black Suede Size 9.5 M US
- nike lunar force 1 14 mens trainers 654256 006 sneakers shoes
- Nike Flex 2017 RN Run Black White Men Running Shoes Sneakers Trainers 898457-001
- Near new Mimco knee high heel boots burgundy brown snake skin shoes 37 7 7.5
- Gentlemen/Ladies Softwalk Women's Hanover Boot Guarantee quality and quantity the most economical Various latest designs
- Vince Camuto Women's Windy Motorcycle Boot Black 8 M US
- Women's Flat heel shoes Round toe Weace Slip on Casual Loafers Blingbling CHIC
- WOMENS EASTLAND BROWN HILLSIDE MULES-SEE SIZES (B147)
- New Nine West Shoes Lianna Brown Studded Suede Flats Ballet sz 5.5
- Man's/Woman's NEW FIORIFRANCESI WOMENS BALLET FLATS Practical and economical low cost TRUE
- Stella Mccartney New Scarpa Plast White Womens Shoes Size 8 W Flats MSRP $590
- New Balance Women 574 Retro Running Shoes
- adidas Womens Predator 18.3 FG 2018 Soccer Shoes Cleats White / Beige / Purple
- ECCO Women's Biom Fjuel Band Walking Shoe, Arona/Arona, 38 EU/7-7.5 M US
- Adidas Eqt Racing Adv W Womens CP9678 GRETWO,GRETWO,CBLACK Womens Size 6.5
- Adrienne Vittadini Women's Phil Slingback Sandal Taupe Kidsuede Slingbacks
- Ferricelli Phil Mens Leather Comfortable Casual Shoes Made In Brazil
- Roman Summer Buckle Men's Flats Casual Beach Sandals Antiskid Fashion Shoes Size
- NEW Summer Mens Casual Driving Slip on Loafer Moccasin Leather Breathable Shoes
- Converse All Star Men's CT Street Mid Shoes Sneakers Black Gray 135509F
- Mens ALDO Tall Chukka Boots Shoes Black Leather Fur Lined Size 11
- Rampage Women Shoe Idera Tall Riding Boots Mid Brown Faux Leather 6.5M $69
- Roper Women's Heels Shoes Size 10M Black High Boots Cowboy Western
- Tony Lama Honey Saguaro Vaquero Leather Cross Emblem Western Women SZB
- Guardians of the Galaxy Peter Jason Quill Starlord Cosplay Costume Boots
- Rockport Women's Black Leather Shoe Boot 8M- NIB
- Margaritaville Footwear Men's Marina Canvas Boat Shoe Brown 11
- Saint Laurent Paris SL10H Sneakers Red Size 43 / 10 Brand New in Box SLP
- F.Lligiacometti Side Gore Boots 42Brw Suede Shoes (41987
- Men hot Summer Sandals Beach Stripes Buckle Strap Open Toe Slingbacks Shoes
- Women's Dansko® Kaya Clogs With Suede Cuffs SZ () Brand NEW!!!!!
- USED mens NIKE AIR size 9 GOOD CONDITION RED BLACK WHITE GREY only $35.00
- Nike Zoom Rival M Running Track Field Shoes White 806555-100 Size 12
- NAUTICA Cromwell Brown Leather Buckle Ankle Chukka Boots Men's 8 M
- New in Box - $210 Millburn Co. Brown Leather Wingtip Brogue Ankle Boot Size 9.5
- CLARKS Originals Limited Edition Desert Boots Men's 12
- Skechers Men's Work Burgin Tarlac Steel Toe Boot
- Dickies Crawford Safety Boots Mens Work Steel Toe Cap Midsole Goodyear Welted
- VINTAGE 70'S BRITISH CRAFTMAN MADE LEATHER MOTORCYCLE BOOTS SIZE 9
- PUMA Mens Sky II Hi Duck Boot
- Stacy Adams Men's Atwell 24811 Black Leather Business Shoes
- [Adidas] BB1269 Dragon OG Originals Running Shoes Sneakers Blue
- Céline White Throat Soft Leather Pumps Size EU 39.5 (Approx. US 9.5) Regular (M, B)
- Christian Louboutin Black New Choca 100mm Leather Sandals Size US 11 Regular (M, B)
- Alexander Wang Black Kori Cutout Leather Studded 36 Boots/Booties Size US 6 Regular (M, B)
- Nike Air Max Typha Training Shoe crosfit , Wolf Grey/Black-Dark Grey, Size 9.5
- NIKE AIR ZOOM ALL COURT FRAGMENT DESIGN LUCKY GREEN WHITE 411007 103 SZ 10.5
- Adidas Energy Boost Running Shoes Women Size 9.5 New
- Womens Nike LunarEpic Low Flyknit 2 Gyakusou NikeLab Sample Sz 8 OREO 880287-001
- Refresh FABIA-01 Women's Elastic Side Zip Lug Sole Platform Chunky Ankle Boots
- Women's New Cross-strap Over Knee Boots High Block Heel Scrub Leather Shoes Sbox
- Nike Air Max 95 Premium QS
- Mens Nike Free Inneva Woven SP Photo Blue White Size 13 598384-400 Shoes
- Chic Women Round Toe Knitted Sneaker Ankle Boot Shoe Pull On Athletic Wedge 2018
- Palladium 95527 Womens Pallabosse Off Lea Chukka Boot- Choose SZ/Color.
- A.S.98 Sebastian Nero Black & Amaranto Purple Leather Ankle Boots
- Comfy Dark Wine Leather STONEFLY Sz 39Shoes Made in Italy Shock Air Sole
- Skechers BOBS from Women's Bobs Plush-Dream Doodle Ballet Flat
- Manolo Blahnik Mauve Leather Flat Shoes 40
- Tory Burch Reva Patent Calf Ballet Flat Equestrian Orange Gold Metal Logo Size 8
- Cole Haan Womens Dellora Skimmer Leather Pointed Toe Slide, Purple, Size 7.0
- Men/Women Skechers Women's Goldie-Diamond Darling Sneaker main category The highest quality material Exquisite (processing) processing
- NIKE WOMENS CITY LOOP AA1097-001 BLACK/WHITE s. 8.5
- Women's Nike Air Huarache Run Casual White/Elemental Pink/Arctic Pink AQ7889 100
- Sketcher Womens Shoes Size 7M white leather & cloth lightweight Mary Janes
- Men's/Women's Sam Edelman Women's Amelia Ankle Bootie Good world reputation auction Tide shoes list
- TOD'S MEN'S SHOES SUEDE TRAINERS SNEAKERS NEW SPOILER WHITE 561
- Raf Simons Adidas Ozweego 2 Green US10 UK9.5 New
- Toffeln Ergo Boot 0900 - Washable Work Shoes
- Hunter for Target Adult Unisex Dipped Canvas High Top Sneakers Black M13/ W15
- Merrell Duskair Moc Canvas Lightweight Mens Slip On Casual Shoe J71199 Blue Wing
- NEW Womens Totes Rogan Rain Boots White Canvas Round Toe - Choose Size
- BRONX Womens Leather Boots Navy Blue Size 5.5 / 36
- $199 BCBG BCBGeneration Women BG-Mocha Faux Fur Tall Boot Shoes, Coconut, US 10
- Club Monaco Autumn Bootie Black SZ 38
- Comfortview wide calf knee high boots style 35-1736-4 Black size 8W
- Men's Vintage Freeman Longwing Oxford Brogues Brown Leather V-Cleats Size 11C
- Men's Shoes Cole Haan Original Grand C23419 H BRN CBSTN Size:8.5
- ABEO Mens Dark Brown Leather Flip Flop Sandals Size 10
- KEEN Men's Uneek Flat Shoe Raven/Ink Blue 11 M US
- Ecco Venture Gore‑TEX Tie Sneaker Womens Size 38(US 7-7.5) Dark Shadow
- Skechers Mens Go Train Harbor 10" Workout Athletic Short M- Select SZ/Color.
- Mens Nike Air Max Light Blue,yellow,white Size 13 Retro
- Man's/Woman's Mens Acme 10-D Various goods discount Various
- Men/Women Rockport Ankle Boots durable In short supply Non-slip
- JB Goodhue Bionic 2 5.0 Men's Black Work Boot 7 3E
- MAGNUM 6278 Black Leather/Nylon Ankle Boots Mens Size 9
- Vtg LAREDO Men's Black Leather & Exotic Lizard Skin Western Cowboy Boots 9D
- Balenciaga Black and Brown Pony Hair Boots/Booties Size US 8.5 Regular (M, B)
- Christian Louboutin Blue Amyada Platforms Size US 10 Regular (M, B)
- Valentino Grey Rockstuds Flats Size EU 38 (Approx. US 8) Regular (M, B)
- Nike Flyknit Lunar 3 Bright Crimson size 9.5
- Men's Nike Jordan J23 Low Basketball Shoes NEW White/Grey MSRP $120
- Adidas Womens Terrex Swift R2 GTX Hiking Shoes CM7503 Black/Ash Green Size 7.5
- Nike Air Max Thea Ultra Prm Casual Women's Shoes Size
- Kenneth Cole Womens Fashion Boots Size 9 (1577)
- Altar'd State by Coolway Women's Embroidered Western Cowgirl Boots
- NIKE AIR HUARACHE RUN ULTRA Grey/Orange MENS Shoes SNEAKERS SIZE 14
- MENS THOM MCAN PERFORMANCE SIZE 8 BROWN LEATHER HIKING TRAIL WORK OUTDOORS-264
- Casual Men High Top Vogue Ankle Boots Pointed Toe Zipper New Cuban Heel Shoes
- 2018 New Mens Loafers Flats Slip On Leather Board Shoes Fashion Black White RED
- fenty puma by rihanna bow creeper sandal
- RARE Janoski Max 11 White/Clearwater. 631303 140. Dead Stock From Europe. NEW
- Coconuts by Matisse Women's Cimmaron Boot Choco/Beige 8 B(M) US
- Dan Post Laredo Sofia 01-51116-BL3 Women's 11" Turquoise Leather Cowboy Boots
- Women's FRYE Melissa Button Boot DARK BROWN Leather SIZE 5.5 NEW without BOX
- CLARKS Womens Kinzie Leather Closed Toe Loafers, Black Combi, Size 9.0 xGFZ
- NEW FLEX & GO WOMENS COMFORTABLE ESPADRILLE LEATHER FLATS MADE IN PORTUGAL
- Strive Maine Womens Black Pewter Leather Orthotic Trainers Shoes Size 5-8
- Salvatore Ferragamo Boutique Womens Flats Patent Leather Black Bow Size 6 B
- Man's/Woman's Aquazzura Blue Suede Espadrilles 40 Long-term reputation At a lower price German Outlets
- Skechers Women's Hi-Lites White Gold Sneaker White/Black/Gold Sneakers
- Baskets à cothurnes model 112030 Zoki - Matter - Shoes
- NIKE WOMENS ZOOM FLYKNIT AGILITY WMNS SZ 9.5 WHITE MUTLTI-COLOR 698616-002 QS
- Men's/Women's jbu memory foam 10 m the most convenient Bright colors Fashion dynamic
- Skechers Women's Work D'Lites Slip Resistant Amasa Alloy Toe Boot Gray/Blue
- Cole Haan 2 Zerogrand Stitchlite Oxfords - Men's Size 9M, Marine Blue
- MENS DI BIAGGIO SLIP ON FASHION ESPADRILLS PUMPS - BLACK CORD
- JOHNSTON MURPHY Mens Size 8.5M Brown Leather Vented Slip-on Moc Toe Loafers #C52
- Crocs Mens Santa Cruz 2 Luxe Espresso / Walnut Slip On Loafer - Sizes 8/9/10 NWB
- Skechers Relaxed Fit-Rovato-Venten Loafer - Mens
- BASAL! Soda Women's Pull-On Slouchy Knee High Boots
- AK Anne Klein Jeannie Comfort Ankle Boots 801, Black, 7.5 US
- Pikolinos Womens Boots Booties Black Leather Sz 38 US 7.5 8 Zip Up Stacked Heel
- New! Nando Muzi Mink Leather Side Zippered Ankle Boot
- SAS Women's Black Leather Shoes Alpine Ankle Boot Slip Resistant Sz 8 WW
- Adidas Pure Boost Zg Trainer(S76728) Shoes Men Authentic Size 8 - 41.1/3 New
- Cole Haan Lunar Grand Long Wing Tip Tan Multi Print C12634 BNIB SZ 7-13
- RAG & BONE MEN'S RB1 LOW TOP LEATHER CUOIO SNEAKERS SIZE 9 THESPOT917
- NEW TEVA NORTHRIDGE BLACK SPORT SANDALS MENS 16 HIKING BIKING
- Nina Women's Karen Royal Silver Luster Satin Size 7 M
- Gentlemen/Ladies Nike Air Men’s Sz 11 High quality and cheap Orders are welcome Rich on-time delivery
- Apex Hook Loop Walking Diabetic Shoes Womens Size 7.5 W
- Christian Louboutin White Naseebasse Rainbow Sandal Stiletto Pumps Size EU 38.5 (Approx. US 8.5) Regular (M, B)
- Dior White Sandals Size US 7.5 Regular (M, B)
- Cole Haan Natural Patent Leather Pumps Size US 10.5 Regular (M, B)
- 2008 Nike Air Jordan 21 XXI Bred Suede Size 10.5
- Nike Revolution Running Shoes Training Sneakers Black AJ3490-002
- Nike Air Max Plus TN Tuned 1 Men's (Size 10.5) Grey White Platinum 852630-029
- Nike Air Max Thea Knit Womens AA1109-600 Mahogany Wine Running Shoes Size 8
- Ladies Men Winter Sheepskin Leather Fur Slippers Shoes Indoor Warm Wool Soft New
- Cabela's Gore-Tex Boot Liners Tall Size 8 Waterproof and Breathable.
- Stanley Men's Dropper 2.0 15 M Soft Toe Industrial Construction Boot Black Work
- LaCrosse Black Rubber Hip Waders Boots US7 UK6 EU40 New Heavy Duty Watstiefel
- Ariat Cowboy Boots Size 9.5EE Mens Brown Leather Sedona 9.5 Extra Wide
- banana republic Noah Boot SZ 13 Charcoal
- Dan Post Milwaukee 13" Wellington Mens US Size 14 D Cowboy Boots DP2110J Black
- NIKE Men's Shoes 248250 Black 28ｃｍ
- Armani Jeans Sneakers Low Mens (Size US:10, UK: 9.5) Excellent Condition
- Man's/Woman's：PUMA Women's Basket Classic LFS Wn's Fashion Sneaker - Choose SZ/Color：Attractive Design
[Editor’s Note: In Part I of this series, Dr. Nick Marsella addressed the duty we have to examine our assumptions about emergent warfighting technologies / capabilities and their associated implications to identify potential second / third order and “evil” effects. Womens DANSKO Black / Purple Leather Sneakers Sz. 37Women's New Balance 1005 D Width Preowned Tennis Shoe Size 7 In today’s post, he prescribes five actions we can embrace both individually and as organizations to avoid confirmation bias and falling into cognitive thinking traps when confronting the ramifications of emergent technologies — Enjoy!]
In part I of my blog post, I advised those advocating for the development and/or fielding of technology to be mindful of the second/third order and possible “evil” effects. I defined “evil” as an unexpected and profound negative implication(s) of the adoption/adaption of a technology and related policy. I also recommended heeding the admonition of Tim Cook, Apple’s CEO, to take responsibility for our technological creations and have the courage to think things through their potential implications – both for the good and the bad.
But even if we as individuals are willing to challenge our assumptions and think broadly and imaginatively, we can still come up short. Why? The answer is due in part to the challenges of prediction and the fact we are human with both great cognitive abilities, but also weaknesses.
First, common sense and many theorists remind us that the future is unknowable.Nike ZOOM Rival S8 Sprint Women 806558-100 Racing Track Spikes + Tool - Size 10Puma Java Brown w/ Lt. Blue Womens Sneakers Size 9 1/2The futurist Arthur C. Clark noted in 1962, “It is impossible to predict the future, and all attempts to do in any detail appear ludicrous within a very few years.” Within this fixed condition of unknowing, the U.S. Departments of Defense and the Army must make choices to determine:
– what capabilities we desire and its related technology;
– where to invest in research and development; and
As Michael E. Raynor pointed out in his book, New Adidas Womens Ace 16.3 Primemesh FG/AG W Soccer Shoes AQ3413 (SIZE9.5) new, making choices and developing strategies, which include adopting new technology, where the future is unknowable and “deeply unpredictable” either produces monumental successes or monumental failures.Men's/Women's Superga S007AU0_2095 for you to choose Affordable Popular recommendationNew Authentic Converse Jack Purcell Low Profile Slip low top Canvas Women's 9.5 For a company this can spell financial ruin, while for the Army, it can spell disaster and the loss of Soldiers’ lives and national treasure. Yet, we must also choose a “way ahead” – often by considering “boundaries” – in a sense the left and right limits – of potential implications.
Second, our ability to predict when technology will become available is often in error nor can we accurately determine its implications. For example, in a New York Times editorial on December 8, 1903, it noted: “A man carrying airplane will eventually be built, New Balance WID627GL Training Shoes - Women's Size 5 B MediumMINT Altra Footwear Torin 3.0 Sneaker Women Size US 8.5 Running Athletic Shoes Bbut only if mathematicians and engineers work steadily for the next ten million years.”5 The Wright Brothers first flight took place the following week, but it took decades for commercial and military aviation to evolve.
Each of the services has faced force modernization challenges due to the adoption of technologies that weren’t mature enough; whose capabilities were over-promised; or did not support operations in the envisioned Operational Environment. For the U.S. Army, Future Combat Systems (FCS) was the most obvious and recent example of this challenge – costing billions of dollars and, just as importantly, lost time and confidence.PUMA Suede Heart Women's Cameo Brown/Cameo Brown 36408403New Balance Women's 696 'All Suede Pack' in Mint WL696WPM BNIB Free Shipping
Third, in terms of future technology, predictions vary widely. For example, predictions by MIT’s Rodney Brooks and futurist/inventor Ray Kurzweil vary widely to the question – “What year do you think human-level Artificial Intelligence [AI, i.e., a true thinking machine] might be achieved with a 50% probability?” Kurzweil predicts AI (as defined) will be available in 2029, while Brooks is a bit more conservative – the year 2200 – a difference of over 170 years.adidas Women's Cf Qtflex W Running Shoe, Grey, Size 9.5Womens NEW BALANCE 575 Black and Purple Sneakers Sz. 8
While one can understand the difficulty of predicting when “general AI” will be available, other technologies offer similar difficulties. The vision of the “self-driving” autonomous vehicle was first written about and experimented with in the 1920s, yet technological limitations, legal concerns, customer fears, and other barriers make implementing this capability challenging.
Lastly, as Rodney Brooks has highlighted, Fred Perry Aubrey Womens Pastel Green Canvas Trainers maintains:
“we tend to overestimate the effect of a technology in the short run and underestimate the effect in the long run.”PUMA BURST MESH WNS PUMA WHITE PINK GL 189039 02 WOMENS US SIZES
SECOND, THIRD ORDER AND EVIL EFFECTS
I contend that we either:CLARKS SILLIAN BELLA GREY NUBUCK 26121460 WIDE WOMENS US SIZESMan/Woman Via Spiga Women's Traynor Slip Sneaker Every item described is available the most economical Global sales
– intentionally focus on the positive effects of adopting a technology;
– ignore the experts and those who identify the potential downside of technology; and
– fail to think thorough the short, long, and potentially dangerous effects or dependencies – imaginatively.
We do this because we are human, and more often because we fall into the confirmation bias or other cognitive thinking traps that might affect our program or pet technology. As noted by RAND in Truth Decay:VANS WOMAN SNEAKER SHOES STRIPES FANTASY CODE ERA 59 UC6C4I - UC6C4EGentlemen/Ladies SUPERGA Shoes 300101 Green 36 superior The latest technology Different goods
“Cognitive biases and the ways in which human beings process information and make decisions cause people to look for information, opinion, and analyses that confirm preexisting beliefs, to weigh experience more heavily than data and facts, and then to rely on mental shortcuts and the beliefs of those in the same social networks when forming opinions and making decisions.”9
Yet, the warning signs or signals for many unanticipated effects can be found simply by conducting a literature review of government, think tank, academic, and popular reports (to perhaps include science fiction). This may deter some, given the sheer volume of literature is often overwhelming, but contained within these reports are many of the challenges associated with future technology, such as: the potential for deep fakes, loss of privacy, hacking,South African Running Shoes Women’s Running Shoes (Model 020)Cavapoo Print Running Shoes For Women- Express Shipping accidents, deception, and loss of industries/jobs.
At the national level, both the current and previous administrations published reports on AI, as has the Department of Defense – some more balanced in addressing of issues of fairness, safety, governance, and ethics.10
For example, using photo recognition to help law enforcement and others seems like a great idea, yet its use is increasingly being questioned. This past May, San Francisco became the first city to ban its use, and others may follow suit.11 While some question this decision to ban vice impose a moratorium until the technology produces less errors, the question remains – did the developers and policy makers consider if there would be push back to its introduction given its current performance?Bearpaw Women's Faye Slip-On Sneaker Tan Microsuede SneakersMan/Woman Naturalizer Women's Morrison Sneaker Bordo Suede service Price reduction International big name What sources did they consult?
Another challenge is language. You’ve seen the commercials – “there is much we can do with AI” – in farming, business, and even beer making. While “AI” is a clever tag line, it may invoke unnecessary fear and misunderstanding. For example, I believe for most people equate “robotics” and “AI” with the “Terminator” franchise, raising the fear of uncontrolled autonomous military force overwhelming humanity. Even worse – under the moniker of “AI,” we will buy into “snake-oil” propositions.
We are at least decades away from “general AI” where a “system exhibits apparently intelligence behavior at least as advanced as a person” across the “full range of cognitive tasks,” but we continue to flaunt the use of “AI” without elaboration.Dr. Scholl's Women's Freehand Athletic Shoe White Perf Leather Comfort ShoesNike Internationlist Women's Shoes Size 6.5
SOME ACTIONS TO TAKE
Embrace a learning organization. Popularized by Peter Senge’s The Fifth Discipline: The Art and Practice of the Learning Organization (1990), a learning organization is a place “where people continually expand their capacity to create the results they truly desire, where new and expansive patterns of thinking are nurtured, where collective aspiration is set free, and where people are continually learning how to learn together.”PUMA Womens Basket Platform VR Wn- Pick SZ/Color. While some question whether we can truly make a learning organization, Senge’s thinking may help solve our problem of identifying 2nd/3rd order and evil effects.
First, we must embrace new and expansive patterns of thinking. Force developers use the acronym – “DOTMPLF-P” as shorthand for Doctrine, Organization, Training, Materiel, Personnel, Leadership, Facilities, and Policy implications – yet other factors might be as important.
For example, trust in automated or robotics systems must be instilled and measured. In one poll, 73% of respondents noted they would be afraid of riding in a fully autonomous vehicle – up 10% points from the previous year.14 What if we develop a military autonomous vehicle or a leader-follower system and one or more of our host nation allies prohibits its use? What happens if an accident occurs and the host population protests, Skechers Women's Microburst Lightness Sneaker - Choose SZ/ColorPUMA Women's Fierce Strap Swan WN's Cross-Trainer Shoe - Choose SZ/Colorarguing that the Americans don’t care for their safety?
Technologists and concept developers must move from being stove-piped in labs and single-focused to consider the broader view of technological implications across functions.
Embrace Humility. Given that we cannot predict the future and its potential consequences, developers must seek out diversified opinions, and more importantly, recognize divergent opinions.
Embrace the Data. In New York City during World War II, a small organization of some of the most brilliant minds in America worked in the office of the “Applied Mathematics Panel.” In Europe, the 8th U.S. Air Force suffered from devastating bomber losses. PUMA Women's Ignite Evoknit Lo 2 Wn Sneaker - Choose SZ/ColorRocket Dog GAMERFO Womens Gamer Fashion Boot- Choose SZ/Color.Leaders wondered where best to reinforce the bombers with additional armor without significantly increasing their weight to improve survivability. Reports indicated returning bombers suffered gunfire hits over the wings and fuselage, but not in the tail or cockpits, so to the casual observer it made sense to reinforce the wings and fuselage where the damage was clearly visible.
Abraham Wald, a mathematician, worked on the problem. He noted that reinforcing the spots where damage was evident in returning aircraft wasn’t necessarily the best course of action, given that hits to the cockpit and tail were probably causing aircraft (and aircrew) losses during the mission. In a series of memorandums, he developed a “method of estimating plane vulnerability based on damage of survivors.” As Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s Sherlock Holmes noted more than 100 years ago, “It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”Skechers 14251 Performance Womens Go Walk-Fiji Sandal- Choose SZ/Color.Reebok BS9884 Womens Yourflex TrainetteMT Cross Trainer- Choose SZ/Color.
Additionally, we need to reinforce our practice of performing quality literature reviews to aid in our identification of these issues.
Employ Skepticism and a Devil’s Advocate Approach. In 1587, the Roman Catholic Church created the position of Promoter of the Faith – commonly referred to as the Devil’s Advocate. To insure a candidate for sainthood met the qualification of being canonized, the role of the Devil’s Advocate was to be the skeptic (loyal to the institution), looking for reasons why not to canonize the individual. Similarly, Leaders must embrace the concept of employing a devil’s advocate approach to identifying 2nd/3rd order and evil effects of technology – if not designating a devil’s advocate with the right expertise to identify assumptions, risks, and effects. But creating any devil’s advocate or “risk identification” positions is only useful if their input is seriously considered.
Embrace the Suck. Lastly, if we are serious in identifying the 2nd/3rd order and evil effects, PUMA Women's Suede Classic Emboss WN's Fashion Sneaker Lilac Snow 9 M USShoes Skechers Equalizer Expect Miracles 12034 pkpr Woman Pinkto include identifying new dependencies, ethical issues, or other issues which challenge the adaption or development of a new technology or policy – then we must be honest, resilient, and tough. There will be setbacks, delays, and frustration.
Technology holds the power to improve and change our personal and professional lives. For the military, technology changes the ways wars are fought (i.e., the character of war), but it may also change the nature of war by potentially reducing the “human dimension” in war. If robotics, AI, and other technological developments eliminate “danger, physical exertion, intelligence and friction,”17 is war easier to wage? Will technology increase its potential frequency? Will technology create a further separation between the military and the population by decreasing the number of personnel needed? These may be some of the 2nd/3rd order and “evil” effects we need to consider.
If you enjoyed this post, please see Dr. Marsella’s previous post “Second/Third Order, and Evil Effects” – The Dark Side of Technology (Baskets Femme DC SHOES TRICKY Black Red)
– Clarks Women's Cabrini Cove Boot, by Dr. Nir Buras