- Gentleman/Lady Epic - Cognac Milled URGE Footwear Elegant appearance Pleasant appearance Direct business
- Men's Teva Brown Textile Casual Slip-ons US 8
- Sanuk Slip On Surfer Shoes Loafers Mens 12 Natural Beige Canvas NWOT
- 34344 clarks Originals Brown Leather Crepe Soles Oxfords Mens Size 9.5 M
- Converse ONE STAR OX SUEDE LIGHT ORCHARD PINK 159492C SIZE 10.5 MEN'S
- Women's Avon Cushion Walk Black Ankle Boots Booties Heels Pumps Shoes 11 11460
- Alfani Womens Vandela2 Closed Toe Ankle Fashion Boots Black Size 5.5
- Womens Knee High Boots Black Riding Women Suede Slouchy Riding Knee High Size 6
- VTG WOMENS LUCCHESE 2000 COWBOY OSTRICH SKIN LEATHER PINK BOOTS SIZE 6 B
- NEW Authentic DV by Dolce Vita Taupe Bend Knee High Boots
- Vintage Paul Smith gorgeous slip on men's loafers Bendi travel shoes sz 7 / 41
- shoes man sneaker model LUCY 2456 grey Premiata
- Alfani Men's Sal Suede Penny Drivers Shadow Purple Size 9 M
- Teva Omnium 2 Leather Turkish Coffee Sport Shoes/Sandals Mens Size 12 *NIB*
- Skechers Bikers - Free Thinker Black Blk Womens Mary Jane Size 10M
- Nike Mercurial Victory V IC Indoor Soccer Shoes 651635-060 Sz 10
- Vans: Doren ERA - Repeat SKULL all over print Men Size 10.5 with Box Worn Once
- Texas brand vintage black leather cowboy boots, 9 D
- The North Face Mens US 8 Ankle Boots Brown Leather Hiking Walking
- VINTAGE MEN’S VASQUE SKYWALK HIKING BOOTS 8204 CORDUROY-BLACK
- DANNER Boots Men's Size 7.5 EE Work Safety Classic Brown Leather #B1771
- Converse CTAS Modern Hi Antique Shoes Size Men 11 Women 12.5
- Prada Nero / Black 1w687c Boots/Booties Size EU 37.5 (Approx. US 7.5) Regular (M, B)
- DANNER Boots Men's Size 9 EE Work Safety GORE-TEX Black Leather #B2418
- Nike Blazer Low Element Gold White Men Casual Shoes Sneakers 371760-700
- New Mens Loafers Genuine Leather British Moccasins Casual Business Slip On Shoes
- Adidas ZX Flux Xenopeltis K - S78649
- Burberry Brit Black Keating Flat Ankle Boots/Booties Size US 7 Regular (M, B)
- Maison Margiela Black Metalic Women's Leather Open Boots/Booties Size US 7 Regular (M, B)
- NIKE COURT BOROUGH MID BLACK WHITE 838938-010 MENS US SIZES
- Nike MD Runner 2 Mid Premium - Wheat Size 9.5 New
- Adidas NMD_R1 PK W Women Primeknit Green Night Shock Pink Glitch Camo BY9864
- Nike Womens Air Max 1 Ultra Plush Running Trainers 844882 001 Sneakers Shoes
- Tamarac by Slippers International Men's Cody Shearling Slipper
- HOT Womens Rhinestones Low Block Heels Platform Pointy Toe Ankle Boots PLus Size
- Nike Jordan B. Fly Black/University Red Size US 11 Men's 881444 006
- Nike Men Air Max Alpha Trainer Shoes Running Black Sneakers Shoe AA7060-001
- DURANGO City Santa Fe DCRD101 Suede Leather Fringe Moccasin Boots Size 6 M
- Nine West Women's Jaen Leather Fashion Boot
- Lifestride Women's Nyce Slip On Wedge Slip on Shoe Tornado Grey Size 7.5 M
- Crocs Hot Pink Slingback Water Shoes Womens Size 11
- Born Peony Ballet Flat Shoe in Indian Summer Leather US 8.5 Med S/N W51740
- CHLOE $495 - sunflower YELLOW LEATHER "LAUREN" SCALLOPED BALLET FLATS - 40.5
- Talbots Shoes Flats Patent Bow Lime Green Womens Posy4 Size 6
- AUTHENTIC TOD'S PATENT FLAT OPERA SHOES BLACK GRADE AB USED -AT
- Nike Revolution 3 Running Shoes Cool Grey Hyper Orange Women Sz 8 W 4730
- Nike Free RN 2017 Womens 880840-001 Black White Knit Running Shoes Size 10
- BRAND NEW Nike FREE TR7 Womens Run Tennis Shoes Training Gym Sneakers - US 7.5 8
- NIB $945+ VALENTINO STAR Low Top Sneaker Shoe Women's Trainers Canvas BLACK 36.5
- Alegria Womens Kylie Boot 38 (US 8-) Regular- Pick SZ/Color.
- Mens Sperry leather Loafers SIZE 10.5 M
- DONALD J PLINER BLACK SUEDE SLIP ON LOAFER SHOE SIZE 10.5
- Lugz Men's Zosho Slip On Sneakers, Royal Blue/White, Size 6.5 D US.
- Sanuk Men's Hemp Fashion Natural Sidewalk Surfer Loafers Shoes Sz 9
- Wilson & Dean For Wilkes Bashford Shoes Brown Suede Oxford Size 8.5
- Cole Haan Womens 8 B Tall Black Leather Harness Knee High Riding Boots D36038 bg
- G By Guess Womens Horizan Natural Multi Fabric Boots 6 M Shoes
- SPORTO PIXIE WINTER BOOTS 8 MEDIUM TAUPE NWD
- Bottes Talons Compensés Tout Cuir Marron T 38 TBE
- Chinese Laundry Womens Ankle Boots Boho Fringe Artic 9.5 Med
- Carrucci Wingtip Monk Strap, Men's Dress Leather Shoes, Black/Burgundy
- Shape Ups Men 66504 overhaul brown no box. 8 WIDE NEW
- NEW $64 Mens Rockport Gyks Quarter Strap Sandals, size 12 shoes
- OLUKAI NOHEA MOKU FOG CHARCOAL MENS SHOES SIZE 10
- Sam Edelman Felicia Nude Beige Leather Bow Accent Ballet Flat Shoes 8 New
- DC Shoes AXLE White Skateboard Shoes Size 6102864
- Fila Memory Speedstride Men's Black Red Athletic Running Shoes US 11 B932
- Giuseppe Zanotti Multicolor Boots/Booties Size US 5 Regular (M, B)
- Christian Louboutin Tan Cate Laiton Silver Chain Knee Leather Boots/Booties Size EU 41.5 (Approx. US 11.5) Regular (M, B)
- Dr Martens Mens Sz 9 US Boots Distressed Brown Leather Nice 11410 7 Eyelet
- Tony Lama Vtg Black Label Western Cowboy Men’s Black Brown Boots USA 10 1/2D
- New Fashion Men Retro Combat Ankle Boots Round Toe Sneaker High Top Martin Shoes
- MEN'S Vintage Brown LEATHER Embroidered Cross WESTERN COWBOY BOOTS 13 D India
- Fashion Mens Pointy Toe Leather Casual Chelsea Retro Ankle Boots Formal Shoe New
- Dakota Men's 8'' 517 Quad Comfort Steel Toe Tan Work Boots 9 3E
- Lacoste Men's Jouer Deck 218 1 Sneakers Natural Dark Red
- C-1165970 New Ermenegildo Zegna Suede Oxford Shoes Size US 9.5 / Marked 8.5
- PUMA Womens Selena Gomez Pink Phenom Trainers Size 3 - 8
[Editor’s Note: In Part I of this series, Dr. Nick Marsella addressed the duty we have to examine our assumptions about emergent warfighting technologies / capabilities and their associated implications to identify potential second / third order and “evil” effects. New w/o box J. Crew Gemma cap toe flats G0878 $118 leather blue navy shoesWomen's Low Heels Loafers Shoes Bowknot Pointed Toe Furry Slip On Casual Mules In today’s post, he prescribes five actions we can embrace both individually and as organizations to avoid confirmation bias and falling into cognitive thinking traps when confronting the ramifications of emergent technologies — Enjoy!]
In part I of my blog post, I advised those advocating for the development and/or fielding of technology to be mindful of the second/third order and possible “evil” effects. I defined “evil” as an unexpected and profound negative implication(s) of the adoption/adaption of a technology and related policy. I also recommended heeding the admonition of Tim Cook, Apple’s CEO, to take responsibility for our technological creations and have the courage to think things through their potential implications – both for the good and the bad.
But even if we as individuals are willing to challenge our assumptions and think broadly and imaginatively, we can still come up short. Why? The answer is due in part to the challenges of prediction and the fact we are human with both great cognitive abilities, but also weaknesses.
First, common sense and many theorists remind us that the future is unknowable.NEW GINO VENTORI CROFT WOMENS COMFORTABLE LEATHER LASER CUT FASHION FLATSRachel Zoe Burke Black Woven Embossed Hair Calf Fashion Sneaker Size 9M D653/The futurist Arthur C. Clark noted in 1962, “It is impossible to predict the future, and all attempts to do in any detail appear ludicrous within a very few years.” Within this fixed condition of unknowing, the U.S. Departments of Defense and the Army must make choices to determine:
– what capabilities we desire and its related technology;
– where to invest in research and development; and
As Michael E. Raynor pointed out in his book, Rachel Zoe Boe Sand Kid Suede Fur Lined Fashion Sneaker Size 7.5M D880/, making choices and developing strategies, which include adopting new technology, where the future is unknowable and “deeply unpredictable” either produces monumental successes or monumental failures.New Womens Real Leather Backless Loafers Slippers Mules Pearls Rhinestone ShoesSam Edelman Women's Reema Pointed Toe d'Orsay Flats Sangria Velvet Size 6 M For a company this can spell financial ruin, while for the Army, it can spell disaster and the loss of Soldiers’ lives and national treasure. Yet, we must also choose a “way ahead” – often by considering “boundaries” – in a sense the left and right limits – of potential implications.
Second, our ability to predict when technology will become available is often in error nor can we accurately determine its implications. For example, in a New York Times editorial on December 8, 1903, it noted: “A man carrying airplane will eventually be built, COLE HAAN Women's Size 8 AA Black Leather Low Heel Moc Toe Loafers ShoesGentleman/Lady Lost Conspiracy Ladies Leather Flats Various styles the most economical Clearance salebut only if mathematicians and engineers work steadily for the next ten million years.”5 The Wright Brothers first flight took place the following week, but it took decades for commercial and military aviation to evolve.
Each of the services has faced force modernization challenges due to the adoption of technologies that weren’t mature enough; whose capabilities were over-promised; or did not support operations in the envisioned Operational Environment. For the U.S. Army, Future Combat Systems (FCS) was the most obvious and recent example of this challenge – costing billions of dollars and, just as importantly, lost time and confidence.DOLCE & GABBANA metallic pink and gold ballet flat size 38.5 us 8.5Skechers Ladies Slip On Go Walk 3 GoGa Mat slip on Shoes - 13980
Third, in terms of future technology, predictions vary widely. For example, predictions by MIT’s Rodney Brooks and futurist/inventor Ray Kurzweil vary widely to the question – “What year do you think human-level Artificial Intelligence [AI, i.e., a true thinking machine] might be achieved with a 50% probability?” Kurzweil predicts AI (as defined) will be available in 2029, while Brooks is a bit more conservative – the year 2200 – a difference of over 170 years.Womens Slip On Loafer Color Stitching Flats Pumps Clubparty Patent Leather ShoesZARA NEW WOMAN SS18 RED FLAT SLINGBACK SHOES REF:7594/301
While one can understand the difficulty of predicting when “general AI” will be available, other technologies offer similar difficulties. The vision of the “self-driving” autonomous vehicle was first written about and experimented with in the 1920s, yet technological limitations, legal concerns, customer fears, and other barriers make implementing this capability challenging.
Lastly, as Rodney Brooks has highlighted, Naturalizer Women's August Slip-on Loafer, Beige, Size 6.5 maintains:
“we tend to overestimate the effect of a technology in the short run and underestimate the effect in the long run.”LAUREN by Ralph Lauren Womens CAMERN-FL-CSL Leather Round Toe Tan Size 10.0
SECOND, THIRD ORDER AND EVIL EFFECTS
I contend that we either:Man/Woman Badgley Mischka Women's Shayla Ballet Flat We have won praise from our customers. product quality Maintenance capabilityVintage Metallic Silver MASERATI Leather Strappy Slip On Shoes Made In ITALY 11N
– intentionally focus on the positive effects of adopting a technology;
– ignore the experts and those who identify the potential downside of technology; and
– fail to think thorough the short, long, and potentially dangerous effects or dependencies – imaginatively.
We do this because we are human, and more often because we fall into the confirmation bias or other cognitive thinking traps that might affect our program or pet technology. As noted by RAND in Truth Decay:ZARA NEW WOMAN SS18 SLINGBACK ESPADRILLES REF:6506/301BADGLEY MISCHKA Womens Davis Ii Pointed Toe Ballet Flats, Pewter, Size 8.0
“Cognitive biases and the ways in which human beings process information and make decisions cause people to look for information, opinion, and analyses that confirm preexisting beliefs, to weigh experience more heavily than data and facts, and then to rely on mental shortcuts and the beliefs of those in the same social networks when forming opinions and making decisions.”9
Yet, the warning signs or signals for many unanticipated effects can be found simply by conducting a literature review of government, think tank, academic, and popular reports (to perhaps include science fiction). This may deter some, given the sheer volume of literature is often overwhelming, but contained within these reports are many of the challenges associated with future technology, such as: the potential for deep fakes, loss of privacy, hacking,WOMENS HUSH PUPPIES ADULTS - CASS WALKING/DRESS/WORK/CASUAL LEATHER SHOESGentleman/Lady Ladies Remonte Casual Flat Shoes D1641 elegant discount Non-slip accidents, deception, and loss of industries/jobs.
At the national level, both the current and previous administrations published reports on AI, as has the Department of Defense – some more balanced in addressing of issues of fairness, safety, governance, and ethics.10
For example, using photo recognition to help law enforcement and others seems like a great idea, yet its use is increasingly being questioned. This past May, San Francisco became the first city to ban its use, and others may follow suit.11 While some question this decision to ban vice impose a moratorium until the technology produces less errors, the question remains – did the developers and policy makers consider if there would be push back to its introduction given its current performance?Aerosoles Women's Cosmetology Slip-on Loafer, Black Suede, Size 9.0ARRAY Womens breeze Cap Toe Ankle Strap Mary Jane Flats, nvy, Size 9.0 What sources did they consult?
Another challenge is language. You’ve seen the commercials – “there is much we can do with AI” – in farming, business, and even beer making. While “AI” is a clever tag line, it may invoke unnecessary fear and misunderstanding. For example, I believe for most people equate “robotics” and “AI” with the “Terminator” franchise, raising the fear of uncontrolled autonomous military force overwhelming humanity. Even worse – under the moniker of “AI,” we will buy into “snake-oil” propositions.
We are at least decades away from “general AI” where a “system exhibits apparently intelligence behavior at least as advanced as a person” across the “full range of cognitive tasks,” but we continue to flaunt the use of “AI” without elaboration.Allessandro Calzature Milano Leather Loafers size 38 in navy color shiny leatherCallisto Women's Barnett Ballet Flat, Black Croc, Size 9.0
SOME ACTIONS TO TAKE
Embrace a learning organization. Popularized by Peter Senge’s The Fifth Discipline: The Art and Practice of the Learning Organization (1990), a learning organization is a place “where people continually expand their capacity to create the results they truly desire, where new and expansive patterns of thinking are nurtured, where collective aspiration is set free, and where people are continually learning how to learn together.”auth AQUAZZURA Grey suede PALM SPRINGS Espadrilles Flats Shoes 40.5 While some question whether we can truly make a learning organization, Senge’s thinking may help solve our problem of identifying 2nd/3rd order and evil effects.
First, we must embrace new and expansive patterns of thinking. Force developers use the acronym – “DOTMPLF-P” as shorthand for Doctrine, Organization, Training, Materiel, Personnel, Leadership, Facilities, and Policy implications – yet other factors might be as important.
For example, trust in automated or robotics systems must be instilled and measured. In one poll, 73% of respondents noted they would be afraid of riding in a fully autonomous vehicle – up 10% points from the previous year.14 What if we develop a military autonomous vehicle or a leader-follower system and one or more of our host nation allies prohibits its use? What happens if an accident occurs and the host population protests, LADIES SHOES/FOOTWEAR - ankle boot Rohde black size 6.5USCole Haan Womens Ella Grand Leather Round Toe, Black Leather/Black, Size 6.5arguing that the Americans don’t care for their safety?
Technologists and concept developers must move from being stove-piped in labs and single-focused to consider the broader view of technological implications across functions.
Embrace Humility. Given that we cannot predict the future and its potential consequences, developers must seek out diversified opinions, and more importantly, recognize divergent opinions.
Embrace the Data. In New York City during World War II, a small organization of some of the most brilliant minds in America worked in the office of the “Applied Mathematics Panel.” In Europe, the 8th U.S. Air Force suffered from devastating bomber losses. LUXAT - CHAUSSURES CONFORT TOUT GRIS MARRON 37 & 37.5 - NEUF & BOITEAE550 BRACCIALINI shoes silver synthetic leather women moccasins EULeaders wondered where best to reinforce the bombers with additional armor without significantly increasing their weight to improve survivability. Reports indicated returning bombers suffered gunfire hits over the wings and fuselage, but not in the tail or cockpits, so to the casual observer it made sense to reinforce the wings and fuselage where the damage was clearly visible.
Abraham Wald, a mathematician, worked on the problem. He noted that reinforcing the spots where damage was evident in returning aircraft wasn’t necessarily the best course of action, given that hits to the cockpit and tail were probably causing aircraft (and aircrew) losses during the mission. In a series of memorandums, he developed a “method of estimating plane vulnerability based on damage of survivors.” As Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s Sherlock Holmes noted more than 100 years ago, “It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”Crown Vintage Womens Miaa Almond Toe Loafers Silver Size 9.0 7LvN$185 RAMON TENZA TAYLOR -RAF Natural Fabric Designer Comfort Loafers Flats 6.5
Additionally, we need to reinforce our practice of performing quality literature reviews to aid in our identification of these issues.
Employ Skepticism and a Devil’s Advocate Approach. In 1587, the Roman Catholic Church created the position of Promoter of the Faith – commonly referred to as the Devil’s Advocate. To insure a candidate for sainthood met the qualification of being canonized, the role of the Devil’s Advocate was to be the skeptic (loyal to the institution), looking for reasons why not to canonize the individual. Similarly, Leaders must embrace the concept of employing a devil’s advocate approach to identifying 2nd/3rd order and evil effects of technology – if not designating a devil’s advocate with the right expertise to identify assumptions, risks, and effects. But creating any devil’s advocate or “risk identification” positions is only useful if their input is seriously considered.
Embrace the Suck. Lastly, if we are serious in identifying the 2nd/3rd order and evil effects, Cole Haan Womens Estellasam Closed Toe Ballet Flats Tan Size 6.0INC International Concepts Womens Zadde Pointed Toe Ankle Wrap Slide Flatsto include identifying new dependencies, ethical issues, or other issues which challenge the adaption or development of a new technology or policy – then we must be honest, resilient, and tough. There will be setbacks, delays, and frustration.
Technology holds the power to improve and change our personal and professional lives. For the military, technology changes the ways wars are fought (i.e., the character of war), but it may also change the nature of war by potentially reducing the “human dimension” in war. If robotics, AI, and other technological developments eliminate “danger, physical exertion, intelligence and friction,”17 is war easier to wage? Will technology increase its potential frequency? Will technology create a further separation between the military and the population by decreasing the number of personnel needed? These may be some of the 2nd/3rd order and “evil” effects we need to consider.
If you enjoyed this post, please see Dr. Marsella’s previous post “Second/Third Order, and Evil Effects” – The Dark Side of Technology (Alegria Paloma Mary Jane Shoes Tortoise Patent Leather / US 10)
– Franco Sarto Women's Bocca Loafer - Choose SZ/Color, by Dr. Nir Buras