- Christian Louboutin Multicolor Lisabeth Pvc Stiletto Sandal Opal White Color Stiletto Pumps Size EU 37.5 (Approx. US 7.5) Regular (M, B)
- Hunter Burgundy Boots/Booties Size US 6 Regular (M, B)
- Joan & David Brown/White 11820 Natural Calf T Flats Size US 8 Regular (M, B)
- NIKE FLEX FURY 2 RUNNING FITSOLE SHOES SNEAKERS BLUE 819134-400 MENS SZ 11.5
- I.E. Nike Air Men Black Wingtip Oxford Dress Shoe 13M Pre Owned GH
- NAOT 46/13 SANTA BARBARA GREEN NUBUCK SANDALS $135
- Tory Burch Eddie Ballet Flats Clay Beige Snakeskin Leather Size 7.5
- Nike Air Max Cage Dragon Men's Shoes Size 11
- Nike Zoom Rival S Size 10.5 Black & Gray w/ tool
- Ariat Sz10.5 Mens Black Studded Cowboy Boots Punk Goth Metal Western Glam Punx
- NIB $178.00 Tommy Bahama Rocker Canyon Chelsea Boot Brown TFM00090 Size 11
- Dakota Black Steel Toe Composite Plate Waterproof Men's Hiking Boots 8M
- Hidden Heel Mens High Top Sport Sneakers Korean Breathable Casual Shoes Platform
- Wrangler Creek Tweed Boots High Shoes Dark Brown Leather Biker Cowboy Jean Boot
- Columbia Men's Backramp Waterproof Techlite Snow Boots-Black/Charcoal, SZ 8.5
- PUMA Men's Roma Suede Fashion Sneaker - Choose SZ/Color
- Nike Air Max 270 Men's Running Shoes Sneakers 2018 Black Speckled Multi-Sizes
- Adidas Women's Response Boost 3 Runner AQ6107 Size: 10
- WOMENS ADIDAS ORIGINALS CRAZY 8 ADV METALLIC SZ 7 CORE BLACK WHITE CQ2842
- Women's Nike Free 5.0 Ice Cube Blue With Swarovski Crystals Size 8.5
- New Balance Running Shoes Women’s Size 9 Phantom/Magnet Black WRZHLB1 NEW
- Winter Womens Snow Boots New Wedge High Heel Warm Knee High Boots Platform Shoes
- HERRENSCHUHE NIKE LEBRON XIII LIFESTYLE 806396-001 MAN
- Nike Dualtone Racer Se Zapatillas Running Hombre 922170 Zapatillas 007
- Cole Haan Womens Tali Grand Short Wedge Boot Waterproof Chestnut Brown Size 10 B
- Women's Nike Flyknit Zoom Agilty Chalk Blue Running Training Shoes* Size 9
- Sesto Meucci Women's 1528 Viso New Calf Boot 5.5 M B
- Ladies Pumps Breathable Suede Round Toe Slip On Platform Shoes Wedge Creepers
- Dansko Vegan Veda Canvas Clogs Sneakers Orange 39 EU; 8 8.5 US Ladies Womens
- Casual Women's Pull On Loafers Shoes Sequins Sweet Bowknot Pointy Toe Flat Heels
- Black Suede Sherpa Lined Cole Haan Driving Shoes Mocs Loafers Sz 6 Med Nwob
- NIB Tory Burch Melinda Ballet Flat Tumbled Leather BRONZE 8.5
- CAVALLI CLASS Suede Leather Sneakers Size 39 Black Panther Head RRP€308
- Under Armour Women's Street Precision Sport Low Neutral Cross-Trainer Shoe
- Hottest Womens Sport Leather Flat Trainer Shoes Platform Sneakers Mid Wedge Heel
- Tredsafe Black Slip Resistant Shoes Size Womens Size 7M In VERY GOOD CONDI(365)
- Merrell Women's Encore Q2 Slide Trail Shoe Black Leather
- Nike Air Max 180 Ultramarine qs sw vapormax plus 97 1 98 270 615287 100 MEN 11
- Crocs Unisex Crocband Clog - Choose SZ/Color
- NWT! Sanuk Mens Vagabond Funk Black Blanket Shoes Slip Ons Sz 10 11
- Steve Madden Men's Zoomed Slip-on Loafer, Navy, Size 7.5
- CLARKS Men's Tulik Edge Oxford Tan 11.5 D(M) US 14273
- Karen Scott New Womens Cari Black Heel Boots 7.5 M Shoes NWOB
- Caterpillar BRODE Womens Black P90265 Suede Steel Toe Safety Work Sneaker Shoes
- R2 Footwear Stewie Womens Tan Knee High Wedge Heel Boots size 10
- Madden Girl Women's Fantaysa Ankle Bootie Navy Velvet 7.5 M US
- Rock and Candy Women's Spraypaint Combat Boots Tan Brown Size 6 M
- Jambu MJ17RED50 Mens Redwood-Water Ready Fashion SneakerM- Choose SZ/Color.
- 550$ Bally Willet White and Blue Leather Sneakers size US 9 Made in Italy
- Men's/Women's Balenciaga Shoes 43Blk Leather (22965 High quality and low overhead Good market Modern and elegant
- Roman Mens Sports Casual Open Toe Fashion Sneakers Sandals Shoes Beach Summer sz
- Sperry Top-Sider Limited Edition JAWS Womens Boat Shoes Size 5.5
- Men's Outdoor Athletic Running Shoes Sports Casual Breathable Sneakers Training
- Baskets montantes en cuir noir PALLADIUM pointure 37
- MENS Winter Boots “Quest” PAC 400g Brand NEW - NWT - US Size 11
- DR Doc MARTENS Brown Leather Boots / US 8 Womens US 7 Mens Air Wair
- West Marine Men's size 7 Rubber Storm/Foul Weather Boots 16" Tall
- BUITRE LEATHER Western Cowboy Boots Men 10 10.5
- Belleville 790V Desert Waterproof Flight Combat Boot Tan Size 5.5 W Gore-Tex NEW
- KENNETH COLE BLIND CURVE CAP TOE BOOT( COGNAC ) NEW SIZE 11.5 M
- New Nike Sb Skate Board Mens Zoom All Court Ck Casual Suede Shoes
- COLE HAAN Mens SHOES Oxfords WINGTIP Black Leather AIR US 12 EUC $280
- [Adidas] CQ2381 Originals Super Star Slip On Men Women Shoes Sneakers Mesh White
- Christian Louboutin Black Recouzetta Boots/Booties Size US 7.5 Regular (M, B)
- Balenciaga Yellow Triple S Sneaker Womens Neon Grey Speed Flat Trainers Sneakers Size EU 37 (Approx. US 7) Regular (M, B)
- Steve Madden Red Pumps Size US 9.5 Regular (M, B)
- NIKE HYPERCHASE AS "ALL-STAR" BASKETBALL JAMES HARDEN Size 11.5
- Nike Flyknit Roshe Run Multicolor Size 8
- Nike air lebron 13 Elite xiii x soldier kb laker kd 8 1 12 15 14 size 9.5 shoes
- Nike Womens Air Max 1 Ultra Flyknit Running Trainers 859517 001 Sneakers Shoes
- Old Friend Men's Soft Sole Loafer Moccasin Slip On Shoes Chestnut 481193
- Lands’ End Black Leather Ankle Boots Womens Size 7.5 B Style 175247
- Nike Flex 2017 RN Black White Men's Running Shoes 898457001
- Nike Zoom HJ 3 lll High Jump Spikes Shoes Black Hyper Punch 317645-036 Sz 11 NEW
- Rockport Women's Total Motion Cherene Boot Black Leather 8 B(M) US
- Women's Rhinestone 100% Cow Leather Embellished Crystal Covered Knee High Boots
- Bass Womens Darrow Glossy Leopard Print Zip Up Casual Dress Shoes Griffin Sz 9
- Paul Green Women’s Black Leather Oxford Shoes Sz 9 US
- Driver Club USA Women's Fashion Shoes Grand 2 Black Grainy Buckle Loafer 8.5
- Mephisto Trampolins Gore-Tex Dark Brown Leather Shoes Sz 8.5 Walking Caoutchouc
- Ralph Lauren Purple Label Black Rianne Kidsuede Leather Flats Spain $495 Sz 38.5
- Klogs Naples Mens - Womens Clogs Black Smooth - 9.5 Medium
- Rose Petals Women's Tristan-ww Riding Boot, Black, 6 M US
- NIKE PRESTO FLY WOMEN's BLACK - WHITE AUTHENTIC CASUAL BRAND NEW IN BOX US SZ 6
- * NEW * Brooks Glycerin 14 Womens Cushioned Running Shoe (B) (093)
- Munro American Caprice Black Leather Slip On Side Zip Loafer Shoes Womens 10 W
- adidas Women's Crazytrain Elite Cross Trainer - Choose SZ/color
- Apex Ambulator, Classic Oxford, SKU:1270MX13 X-Wide, Men’s Black,Size: US 13
- Lacoste Marice BL 2 CAM Canvas Shoes, Men's Size 12, White
- ROCKPORT Black Leather Suede Plain Toe Oxfords 10 W M9406
- Fashion Mens Slip On Shoes Hot PU Round Toe Casual Flats New Solid Loafers New
- B:MING LIFE STORE by BEAMS Men's Shoes 743800 Red 27.5ｃｍ
- Aldo Black Leather Mid Calf Stacked Heel Boots 19.5"T 7.5M or 38
- Womens Hi-Tec Trainers Style - Knysna Mid WP
- Arezzo Black Leather Boots Sport Sneaker Heels 7 Made in Brazil Tennis Shoes 36
- Arnaldo Toscani 9026504_MOZART boots Women's - colour Brown US
- Trouve Lonnie Black Suede/Leather Heeled Ankle Boots Women's Shoes Size 5 M NEW
- Clarks Men's UnNature Time Sz US 12 M Dark Tan Leather Oxfords Shoes $160.00
- HOGAN MEN'S SUEDE LOAFERS MOCCASINS NEW H262 BIRO BLUE 25D
- New! Men's Under Armour 1266360-101 Mercenary VII SL Sandal White/Blk D38
- NEW TEVA TANZA LEATHER MEN'S SANDAL WEAR LEATHER HIKING TRAVEL BROWN SIZE US 13
- NEW JCrew Metallic Pointed-Toe Loafers Size 7 Gold $178 G0870 SOLD OUT!
- Nike Hyperdunk Black Basketball Shoes Size 13
- Lacoste Mens Dark Grey/Light Blue Fashion Sneaker Size 11 (32024)
- Men's British Style High Top Casual Ankle Boots Cuban Heel Zip Pointy Toe Boots
- Retro Vintage Flats Wing Tip Men's Knee High Boots Buckle Ridding Shoes Side Zip
- Kodiak Journey Men's Brown/Black Hiker Boot 9M
- Dr DOC MARTENS Industrial Steel Toe Brown Leather Boots Men SZ 10/ L11
- Rocky S2V Composite Toe Waterproof Work Boot
- Christian Louboutin Coral Pumps Size EU 37 (Approx. US 7) Regular (M, B)
- Dr. Martens Burgundy Sneakers Size US 5 Regular (M, B)
- Steve Madden Black Crisscross Leather Slide Sandals Size US 11 Regular (M, B)
- Nike Air Force 1 Mid Sneakers New, Light Taupe / Grey Gum 315123-204 Large Sizes
- NIKE INCURSION MID WHITE/BLACK BASKETBALL SHOES ( 917541 004 ) SIZE 10.5
- adidas Performance Women's Crazytrain Bounce W Cross-Trainer Shoe：Men's/Women's： Dress up
- New Nike Women's Air Zoom Mariah Flyknit Racer Shoes (AA0521-005) Light Carbon 8
- 1809 adidas Training Adissage Men's Slides Slippers 78260
- DREAM PAIRS Women's Block Heel Ankle Booties
- nike air vapormax flyknit size 13
- Lehigh Men Safety Shoes Swampers Steel Toe Waterproof Brown Black Work Boots 12
- Kenneth Cole New York Size 9 M THEME PARK Brown Leather Loafers New Mens Shoes
- New Balance M990BK4 : Men's Running Shoe Black/Silver Wide 2E
- Puma PUMA Womens Suede Classic Matt and Shine Sneaker- Pick SZ/Color.
- NIKE AIR MAX 1 PREMIUM RETRO ATMOS 6-13 OLIVE GREEN CURRY 908366-300 AUTHENTIC!
- $219 Kork-Ease Sz 8 Lena Ankle Boots Cognac Leather Urban Outfitters Distressed
- The Fix Women's Hazel 4 Buckle Strap Ankle Boot
- Dansko Eartha Burgundy Wine Suede Leather Clogs Mules Womens Shoes 37 / 6.5 - 7
- Nine West Women's Xalan Metallic Ballet Flat - Choose SZ/Color
- BOBS from Skechers 33862 Womens The Menace Sweet Berry Fashion
- *WORK WORTHY!* Stuart Weitzman Brown Patent Leather Ballet Flats sz 8.5 W
- NIB Sperry Top-Sider Barrelfish Boat Shoes Leather Navy Blue Womens Sz 7.5
- AK Anne Klein AK/3064MPBK Womens Quartz Metal and Leather Dress
- Inov8 Trail Talon 250 Black/ Teal/ Light Grey
- Merrell Waterpro Pandi [ML24602] Women Mary Jane Water Shoes Purple
- Nike Air Max 90 Premium Wolf Grey/Sail 443817-011 Wmn Sz 7.5
- Womens 8 39 Naot brown leather comfort shoes sandals clogs slingback wedge heels
- Dansko Women's Professional Clog, Black, 37 EU
- LATEST MODEL-FINN COMFORT-MENS 8 US (7 1/2 UK ) BROWN P-W-58
- Men Polo Ralph Lauren BOLINGBROOK Canvas Casual Shoe Sneaker BLACK Size 11.5D
- NWT Nautica Men's size 10 white fashion sneakers trendy athletic shoes
- Skechers Men's Escape Plan Sneaker
- Clarks Men's Un.Garner US 12 M Brown Leather Slip-Ons Loafers Shoes $150
- BP Nordstrom Beige Leather Ankle Boot/Bootie Shoes Women's Size 11M EUC!!!
- Palladium Women's Pampa Free CVS Ankle Boot White Size 10.0
- New~NEWPORT NEWS Easy Style Buckle Trim High Heel Leather Boots~Black~Size 7.5
- Vince Camuto Tricera Chukka Ankle Boots Booties Tan Taupe Smoke Suede 7.5 M
- Via Spiga Harlie Blue Womens Shoes Size 6.5 M Boots MSRP $250
- Reebok Ventilator Supreme Leather men's sneakers black walking shoes trainers
- new ECCO050134 Mens Helsinki Slip-On comfort shoes sz USA 6-6.5 EU40 RUST BROWN
- NEW COMMON PROJECTS ACHILLES ORIGINAL LOW Nude Leather 41 EU
- Ralph Lauren Polo Alim Navy Yellow Canvas Slides Slip On Sandals Shoes Mens 8
- Easy Street Women's Forever MuleNew Navy8 W US
- Nike Mens Zoom Domination Tr Gray Cross Training Shoes Size 7 (426567)
- Nike SB Zoom Stefan Janoski Mid Dark Obsidian Mens Size 9.5 Blue Leather Shoe
- Christian Louboutin Ares Black Leather Spike Espadrille 41 Flats Size US 11 Regular (M, B)
- Chloé Beige Susanna Suede Gold Studded Ankle Boots/Booties Size US 7 Regular (M, B)
- Christian Louboutin Black Harler Patent Ankle Cuff Strap D'orsay Heels Sandals Pumps Size EU 39.5 (Approx. US 9.5) Regular (M, B)
- nike rosherun NM mens trainers 631749 701 sneakers shoes CLEARANCE
- NIKE AIR JORDAN 1 RETRO HIGH RARE MEN'S SHOES 332550-024 SIZE 8
- ADIDAS SUPERSTAR 80s METAL TOE X RITA ORA US 8,5 scale M25318 consortium y3
- NEW Size 10 NIKE Romaleos 3 Weightlifting Training Shoes Black/White 878557-001
- Forever Women's Buckle Strap Block Heel Ankle Booties Tan 8.5
- L.L. Bean Men's Insulated Maine Hunting Shoe Brown Rubber and Tan leather size 9
- Mens Tecnica Moon Boot Nylon Mid Calf Waterproof Winter Snow Rain Boots
- New Mongrel Work Boots Athletic Runners Zip Side Non Safety Non Steel Toe 961050
- Men Carolina Construction Landscaping High Brown Steel Toe Waterproof Boots 11.5
- Men's Durango Brown Leather Western Cowboy Boots sz: 10 D
- New!! Men's The North Face Waterproof Chilkat II A0W4KZ2 Black 41Z
- Rocky Men's Polishable Dress Leather
- NEW ADIDAS ADIZERO RIO JAVELIN FIELD EVENT SPIKES SHOES
- Puma Faas 1000 Wn V1.5, Women's Running Shoes White (01 White/Black/Fluo Pi... .
[Editor’s Note: In Part I of this series, Dr. Nick Marsella addressed the duty we have to examine our assumptions about emergent warfighting technologies / capabilities and their associated implications to identify potential second / third order and “evil” effects. CLARKS AYALA LO CLOUDSTEPPERS GREY NUBUCK 26137785 M WOMENS US SIZESCLARKS SILLIAN PAZ DARK BROWN 26120932 WOMENS US SIZES In today’s post, he prescribes five actions we can embrace both individually and as organizations to avoid confirmation bias and falling into cognitive thinking traps when confronting the ramifications of emergent technologies — Enjoy!]
In part I of my blog post, I advised those advocating for the development and/or fielding of technology to be mindful of the second/third order and possible “evil” effects. I defined “evil” as an unexpected and profound negative implication(s) of the adoption/adaption of a technology and related policy. I also recommended heeding the admonition of Tim Cook, Apple’s CEO, to take responsibility for our technological creations and have the courage to think things through their potential implications – both for the good and the bad.
But even if we as individuals are willing to challenge our assumptions and think broadly and imaginatively, we can still come up short. Why? The answer is due in part to the challenges of prediction and the fact we are human with both great cognitive abilities, but also weaknesses.
First, common sense and many theorists remind us that the future is unknowable.PUMA TRIPLE WHITE PATENT LEATHER SHOE MUSIC VIDEO WOMEN US 6 MTV DANCESkechers Women's D'lites Life Saver NAVY / WHITE 11860 NWLBThe futurist Arthur C. Clark noted in 1962, “It is impossible to predict the future, and all attempts to do in any detail appear ludicrous within a very few years.” Within this fixed condition of unknowing, the U.S. Departments of Defense and the Army must make choices to determine:
– what capabilities we desire and its related technology;
– where to invest in research and development; and
– what to purchase and field.Propét Women's TravelFit Strap Walking Shoe, Black, Size 6.5Free People Varsity Slip On Cowhide Size 38 - US 8
As Michael E. Raynor pointed out in his book, Lia Womens LIW005 Low Top Slip On Fashion Sneakers, Black, Size 10.0, making choices and developing strategies, which include adopting new technology, where the future is unknowable and “deeply unpredictable” either produces monumental successes or monumental failures.Vans Classic Slip On Women's Mahogany Rose/True White A38F7QTHNEW Nike Tennis Classic Prm 834151-106 Womens Shoes Trainers Sneakers SALE For a company this can spell financial ruin, while for the Army, it can spell disaster and the loss of Soldiers’ lives and national treasure. Yet, we must also choose a “way ahead” – often by considering “boundaries” – in a sense the left and right limits – of potential implications.
Second, our ability to predict when technology will become available is often in error nor can we accurately determine its implications. For example, in a New York Times editorial on December 8, 1903, it noted: “A man carrying airplane will eventually be built, Cobb Hill Women's Willa Bow Slipon Sneaker, Grey Leather, Size 6.5Retro US womens black or camel suede flat ankle boots pull on shoes size 4.5-9 #but only if mathematicians and engineers work steadily for the next ten million years.”5 The Wright Brothers first flight took place the following week, but it took decades for commercial and military aviation to evolve.
Each of the services has faced force modernization challenges due to the adoption of technologies that weren’t mature enough; whose capabilities were over-promised; or did not support operations in the envisioned Operational Environment. For the U.S. Army, Future Combat Systems (FCS) was the most obvious and recent example of this challenge – costing billions of dollars and, just as importantly, lost time and confidence.Skechers Women's BOBS Plush Urban Rose Alpargata Light Pink Slip-on ShoesNew Balance 520 Women's Dusted Peach/White WL520TD
Third, in terms of future technology, predictions vary widely. For example, predictions by MIT’s Rodney Brooks and futurist/inventor Ray Kurzweil vary widely to the question – “What year do you think human-level Artificial Intelligence [AI, i.e., a true thinking machine] might be achieved with a 50% probability?” Kurzweil predicts AI (as defined) will be available in 2029, while Brooks is a bit more conservative – the year 2200 – a difference of over 170 years.Fila Women's Memory Workshift Black/Black/Black Cross Training ShoesPin Up Couture Women's Ivy 09 Foldable Flat Red Patent Slip-on Shoes
While one can understand the difficulty of predicting when “general AI” will be available, other technologies offer similar difficulties. The vision of the “self-driving” autonomous vehicle was first written about and experimented with in the 1920s, yet technological limitations, legal concerns, customer fears, and other barriers make implementing this capability challenging.
Lastly, as Rodney Brooks has highlighted, Pleaser Women's Appeal 20 Pump Nude Patent Heels maintains:
“we tend to overestimate the effect of a technology in the short run and underestimate the effect in the long run.”EMU Women's Amity Moccasin Black Sheepskin Sheepskin Slippers
SECOND, THIRD ORDER AND EVIL EFFECTS
– intentionally focus on the positive effects of adopting a technology;
– ignore the experts and those who identify the potential downside of technology; and
– fail to think thorough the short, long, and potentially dangerous effects or dependencies – imaginatively.
We do this because we are human, and more often because we fall into the confirmation bias or other cognitive thinking traps that might affect our program or pet technology. As noted by RAND in Truth Decay:Saucony Womens Breakthru 3 Running Shoe- Pick SZ/Color.PUMA 36331406 Womens Basket Platform Patent Wn- Choose SZ/Color.
“Cognitive biases and the ways in which human beings process information and make decisions cause people to look for information, opinion, and analyses that confirm preexisting beliefs, to weigh experience more heavily than data and facts, and then to rely on mental shortcuts and the beliefs of those in the same social networks when forming opinions and making decisions.”9
Yet, the warning signs or signals for many unanticipated effects can be found simply by conducting a literature review of government, think tank, academic, and popular reports (to perhaps include science fiction). This may deter some, given the sheer volume of literature is often overwhelming, but contained within these reports are many of the challenges associated with future technology, such as: the potential for deep fakes, loss of privacy, hacking,SKECHERS USA Inc Burst Seeing Stars Skechers Womens High Top- Choose SZ/Color.women Zero Drop Machine washable shoes - women Zero Drop Machine washable shoe accidents, deception, and loss of industries/jobs.
At the national level, both the current and previous administrations published reports on AI, as has the Department of Defense – some more balanced in addressing of issues of fairness, safety, governance, and ethics.10
For example, using photo recognition to help law enforcement and others seems like a great idea, yet its use is increasingly being questioned. This past May, San Francisco became the first city to ban its use, and others may follow suit.11 While some question this decision to ban vice impose a moratorium until the technology produces less errors, the question remains – did the developers and policy makers consider if there would be push back to its introduction given its current performance?New Balance WL696KC Womens Welded WL696 Running Shoes- Choose SZ/Color.PUMA Women's Fierce VR Wn Sneaker - Choose SZ/Color What sources did they consult?
Another challenge is language. You’ve seen the commercials – “there is much we can do with AI” – in farming, business, and even beer making. While “AI” is a clever tag line, it may invoke unnecessary fear and misunderstanding. For example, I believe for most people equate “robotics” and “AI” with the “Terminator” franchise, raising the fear of uncontrolled autonomous military force overwhelming humanity. Even worse – under the moniker of “AI,” we will buy into “snake-oil” propositions.
We are at least decades away from “general AI” where a “system exhibits apparently intelligence behavior at least as advanced as a person” across the “full range of cognitive tasks,” but we continue to flaunt the use of “AI” without elaboration.Skechers 14751 Performance Womens Go Step Lite- Walking Shoe- Choose SZ/Color.Skechers Performance Women's Go Step Challenge Walking Shoe
SOME ACTIONS TO TAKE
Embrace a learning organization. Popularized by Peter Senge’s The Fifth Discipline: The Art and Practice of the Learning Organization (1990), a learning organization is a place “where people continually expand their capacity to create the results they truly desire, where new and expansive patterns of thinking are nurtured, where collective aspiration is set free, and where people are continually learning how to learn together.”Man's/Woman's New Balance Women's 697v1 Sneaker Packaging diversity Highly praised and appreciated by the consumer audience a wide variety of goods While some question whether we can truly make a learning organization, Senge’s thinking may help solve our problem of identifying 2nd/3rd order and evil effects.
First, we must embrace new and expansive patterns of thinking. Force developers use the acronym – “DOTMPLF-P” as shorthand for Doctrine, Organization, Training, Materiel, Personnel, Leadership, Facilities, and Policy implications – yet other factors might be as important.
For example, trust in automated or robotics systems must be instilled and measured. In one poll, 73% of respondents noted they would be afraid of riding in a fully autonomous vehicle – up 10% points from the previous year.14 What if we develop a military autonomous vehicle or a leader-follower system and one or more of our host nation allies prohibits its use? What happens if an accident occurs and the host population protests, Mr/Ms Skechers Women's Go Flex 2-14990 Sneaker Good world reputation Attractive fashion General productRocket Dog CAMPOJA Womens Campo Joshua Fabric Fashion Sneaker- Choose SZ/Color.arguing that the Americans don’t care for their safety?
Technologists and concept developers must move from being stove-piped in labs and single-focused to consider the broader view of technological implications across functions.
Embrace Humility. Given that we cannot predict the future and its potential consequences, developers must seek out diversified opinions, and more importantly, recognize divergent opinions.
Embrace the Data. In New York City during World War II, a small organization of some of the most brilliant minds in America worked in the office of the “Applied Mathematics Panel.” In Europe, the 8th U.S. Air Force suffered from devastating bomber losses. Sneakers Femme ETNIES Zanza Black Pink WhiteNanette Lepore Women's Whimsical Sneaker, Dusty Pink, Size 8.0Leaders wondered where best to reinforce the bombers with additional armor without significantly increasing their weight to improve survivability. Reports indicated returning bombers suffered gunfire hits over the wings and fuselage, but not in the tail or cockpits, so to the casual observer it made sense to reinforce the wings and fuselage where the damage was clearly visible.
Abraham Wald, a mathematician, worked on the problem. He noted that reinforcing the spots where damage was evident in returning aircraft wasn’t necessarily the best course of action, given that hits to the cockpit and tail were probably causing aircraft (and aircrew) losses during the mission. In a series of memorandums, he developed a “method of estimating plane vulnerability based on damage of survivors.” As Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s Sherlock Holmes noted more than 100 years ago, “It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”Man/Woman naturalizer Marianne Slip-On Fashion Sneakers, Zinc/Pewter excellent quality Sales Italy List of explosionsNike Womens Shoes Air Force I Aster Pink Orange 315186-661 Size 7- $108 Retail
Additionally, we need to reinforce our practice of performing quality literature reviews to aid in our identification of these issues.
Employ Skepticism and a Devil’s Advocate Approach. In 1587, the Roman Catholic Church created the position of Promoter of the Faith – commonly referred to as the Devil’s Advocate. To insure a candidate for sainthood met the qualification of being canonized, the role of the Devil’s Advocate was to be the skeptic (loyal to the institution), looking for reasons why not to canonize the individual. Similarly, Leaders must embrace the concept of employing a devil’s advocate approach to identifying 2nd/3rd order and evil effects of technology – if not designating a devil’s advocate with the right expertise to identify assumptions, risks, and effects. But creating any devil’s advocate or “risk identification” positions is only useful if their input is seriously considered.
Embrace the Suck. Lastly, if we are serious in identifying the 2nd/3rd order and evil effects, New Balance Women's 574 Sport Decon Shoes WhiteAerosoles Womens Side Track Fashion Sneaker- Pick SZ/Color.to include identifying new dependencies, ethical issues, or other issues which challenge the adaption or development of a new technology or policy – then we must be honest, resilient, and tough. There will be setbacks, delays, and frustration.
Technology holds the power to improve and change our personal and professional lives. For the military, technology changes the ways wars are fought (i.e., the character of war), but it may also change the nature of war by potentially reducing the “human dimension” in war. If robotics, AI, and other technological developments eliminate “danger, physical exertion, intelligence and friction,”17 is war easier to wage? Will technology increase its potential frequency? Will technology create a further separation between the military and the population by decreasing the number of personnel needed? These may be some of the 2nd/3rd order and “evil” effects we need to consider.
If you enjoyed this post, please see Dr. Marsella’s previous post “Second/Third Order, and Evil Effects” – The Dark Side of Technology (Saucony Progrid Guide 5 Women's Shoes Size 5)
– adidas Originals Women's Samoa Sneaker Black/Silver SZ 7, by Dr. Nir Buras