- Nike KD 10 / KD X (BHM) - 897817-003 - US Size 9.5 - Pre-Owned (Clean)
- Misu Women's Peep Toe Sandals Latin Salsa Tango Practice Ballroom Dance...
- Pre-owned FRYE Women's Tall Black Leather Harness Boots 7M USA Xlnt!
- Earth Alder Oatmeal Womens Brown Leather Mary Jane Shoe Casual Size 6.5 M
- SAS Suntimer Beige Leather Open Toe Sandal Slingback Made In U.S.A Womens 9.5 N
- Jack Rogers Sneakers Carter Suede Grey Women’s Shoe Sz 11M New in Box
- Burberry Transmoor Tassel Black Suede Loafer US 10 Slip On Moccasin
- New Women's Sperry Top-Sider Bluefish Micro Dot Black Boat Shoes 7 7.5 8 8.5 9.5
- Alessanddro Dell'Acqua NIB Silver Fashion Sneakers Size 37.5 7.5-8B Retail $375
- FILA RAY New Disruptor Unisex Sneakers Athletic Shoes WhiteNavy FS1SIA3065X_WNR
- [BB2375] Womens Adidas Originals NMD_XR1 PK Primeknit - Utility Ivy
- Adidas BB6265 Women Ultra Boost X Stella McCartney shoes sneakers sz 8.5
- Josef Seibel Brown Suede Oxford Style Comfort Casual Shoe Women's 40 10
- New Converse Womens Plaid Gray Chuck Taylor All Star Low Canvas Shoes Size Sz 7
- COMMON PROJECTS Original Achilles Low Green Size US 7/7.5 *
- Dockers proStyle Shoes Mens sz 8m Brown Leather Slip On Casual Loafers
- NWD Zanzara Men's Merz Leather Slip On Shoes
- Mens Large Size Ralph Lauren Polo Federico Beige Shoes 16 D..415B
- Eastland Men's Newport Slip On Shoes - 7181
- New Michael Antonio Platform Knee High Camel Boots Size: 10
- STEVE MADDEN Clarra Women Mid Calf Cuban Heel Boots Size 11 Gray Suede
- Alfani Women's Hadley Ankle Boots Brown Size 6 M
- Paul Green Womens 9.5US 8AUS Brown Suede Zip Ankle Boots 3" Heels
- Steve Madden Womens Myrakle Chestnut Suede Fringed Pointy Bootie Shoe Size 7.5M
- PUMA Men's Basket Classic Dia Emboss Fashion Sneaker - Choose SZ/Color
- Kenneth Cole New York Men's Work Hours RM 79761 Leather Boots
- Clarks Men X MOSABE RISE MULTI TAN LEATHER G
- adidas Originals Men's ADILETTE SUPERCLOUD SLIDES Size 6 Black S79352
- Steve Madden Coin Slip On Bootie - Women's Size 7M Gray
- New Summer Breathable Men's Shoes Casual Mesh Sports Running Shoes Sandals Y529
- Men’s Converse One Star Ox Shoes Suede White Cream Size 13 Excellent Condition
- REFRIGIWEAR Performer Composite Toe Work 5" Ankle Boots Mens 12 D Brown Leather
- Mens Safety Work Boots Steel Toe Cap Zippers feature Brown Reopard
- Larry Mahan Mens Boots Size 9 D Brown White Leather Square Toe Western Cowboy
- Giorgio Brutini Mens Aaron 17576 Leather Slip On Dress Ankle Boot Black Size 7 M
- Pajar Canada Men's Trooper Touring Boots, Waterproof All Weather New w/Tags $180
- Vans Mens UltraRange Pro Spitfire Cardiel Black Skate shoes Size 9 VN0A3DOQOM
- Men's/Women's HAUBAN CUIR GRAS MARRON Durable service comfortability Immediate delivery
- Giuseppe Zanotti Rose Covered Ankle Heel Sandal Platforms Size EU 38 (Approx. US 8) Regular (M, B)
- Christian Louboutin Black Kristali 120 Laser Cut Patent Pumps Size EU 37 (Approx. US 7) Regular (M, B)
- Valentino Silver Nw2s0c47.viu Mules/Slides Size EU 36 (Approx. US 6) Regular (M, B)
- Nike Mens KD VII "Global Game" Action Red/Metallic Silver 653996-660 Size 11.5
- Nike Stefan Janoski PRO SB Zoom Crystal mint black speckle 375361-302 Size 11
- adidas Performance Women's Pureboost Xpose Running - Choose SZ/color
- Bugatchi Men's Potenza Sneaker Shoe Black (Nero) Size 9 Italian Suede
- Men/Women：Adidas Women’s Nemeziz (BY8886) 17.4 FG Soccer Cleats Size US Women’s 8.5：Great Loss at Loss
- Adidas Originals sl 72 RARE!
- CROCKETT & JONES BLACK LEATHER SLIP ON OLD FASHIONED HANDMADE ENGLISH SLIPPERS 9
- Womens Knee High Boots Faux Suede Warm Fur Lining Winter Block Heels Plus Size
- NIKE Men's Revolution 3 Running Shoe University Red/Black/White/Metallic Silver
- Nike Air Max 1 Blue Recall White Yellow Size 9 NEW
- Womens Green Runway Knitwear High Stilettos Heels European Party Ankle Boot Shoe
- ZARA WOMAN NEW AW18 PRINTED LEATHER HEELED ANKLE BOOTS LEOPARD 5111/301
- Isaac Mizrahi Live Sea Womens Blue Suede Ballerina Flats Size 6.5 M
- Women's Arcopedico Leather Front Closure Light Weight Walking Shoes Black Size 8
[Editor’s Note: In Part I of this series, Dr. Nick Marsella addressed the duty we have to examine our assumptions about emergent warfighting technologies / capabilities and their associated implications to identify potential second / third order and “evil” effects. Man/Woman Via Spiga Women's Traynor Slip Sneaker Reputation first Has a long reputation wonderfulNEW Converse Chucks Taylor CT Brea Hi Nigh 549580C Womens Shoes Trainers Sneaker In today’s post, he prescribes five actions we can embrace both individually and as organizations to avoid confirmation bias and falling into cognitive thinking traps when confronting the ramifications of emergent technologies — Enjoy!]
In part I of my blog post, I advised those advocating for the development and/or fielding of technology to be mindful of the second/third order and possible “evil” effects. I defined “evil” as an unexpected and profound negative implication(s) of the adoption/adaption of a technology and related policy. I also recommended heeding the admonition of Tim Cook, Apple’s CEO, to take responsibility for our technological creations and have the courage to think things through their potential implications – both for the good and the bad.
But even if we as individuals are willing to challenge our assumptions and think broadly and imaginatively, we can still come up short. Why? The answer is due in part to the challenges of prediction and the fact we are human with both great cognitive abilities, but also weaknesses.
First, common sense and many theorists remind us that the future is unknowable.Manas RAPALLO, femme Sneakers, noir (NERO), 39Reebok CN1799 Women Triple Hole 7.0 Running shoes grey SneakersThe futurist Arthur C. Clark noted in 1962, “It is impossible to predict the future, and all attempts to do in any detail appear ludicrous within a very few years.” Within this fixed condition of unknowing, the U.S. Departments of Defense and the Army must make choices to determine:
– what capabilities we desire and its related technology;
– where to invest in research and development; and
As Michael E. Raynor pointed out in his book, Nine West Women's Juanita Leather Mule - Choose SZ/color, making choices and developing strategies, which include adopting new technology, where the future is unknowable and “deeply unpredictable” either produces monumental successes or monumental failures.Aerosoles Women's Short Circuit Flat Sandal Red Faux LeatherReebok Guresu LTD 1.0 Women's Training Shoes Black/White CN0717 Sz7-8.5 L For a company this can spell financial ruin, while for the Army, it can spell disaster and the loss of Soldiers’ lives and national treasure. Yet, we must also choose a “way ahead” – often by considering “boundaries” – in a sense the left and right limits – of potential implications.
Second, our ability to predict when technology will become available is often in error nor can we accurately determine its implications. For example, in a New York Times editorial on December 8, 1903, it noted: “A man carrying airplane will eventually be built, Nike Zoom Rival Waffle Womens Cool Grey/Black/Pure Platinum/Wolf Grey 04719002Shoes Igi&Co Francesina Women's 48380 Wedge Patent Black moda Made in Italybut only if mathematicians and engineers work steadily for the next ten million years.”5 The Wright Brothers first flight took place the following week, but it took decades for commercial and military aviation to evolve.
Each of the services has faced force modernization challenges due to the adoption of technologies that weren’t mature enough; whose capabilities were over-promised; or did not support operations in the envisioned Operational Environment. For the U.S. Army, Future Combat Systems (FCS) was the most obvious and recent example of this challenge – costing billions of dollars and, just as importantly, lost time and confidence.Cudas Women's Dorado Thong Sandal Black SandalsPleaser Pink Label Women's Kimberly 04 Wedge Sandal Red Patent Heeled Sandals
Third, in terms of future technology, predictions vary widely. For example, predictions by MIT’s Rodney Brooks and futurist/inventor Ray Kurzweil vary widely to the question – “What year do you think human-level Artificial Intelligence [AI, i.e., a true thinking machine] might be achieved with a 50% probability?” Kurzweil predicts AI (as defined) will be available in 2029, while Brooks is a bit more conservative – the year 2200 – a difference of over 170 years.New Balance Men's 574 15 Ounce Canvas ML574TXD Beet Red with BrownAdidas Superstar Orig Gold White NMD YEEZY 350 OG Women's BB8138 Size 9 FIT 9.5
While one can understand the difficulty of predicting when “general AI” will be available, other technologies offer similar difficulties. The vision of the “self-driving” autonomous vehicle was first written about and experimented with in the 1920s, yet technological limitations, legal concerns, customer fears, and other barriers make implementing this capability challenging.
Lastly, as Rodney Brooks has highlighted, Pleaser Pink Label Women's Anna 01 Ballet Flat Black Patent Flats maintains:
“we tend to overestimate the effect of a technology in the short run and underestimate the effect in the long run.”Men/Women Ladies Skechers Trainers Love Your Style service Beautiful British temperament
SECOND, THIRD ORDER AND EVIL EFFECTS
– intentionally focus on the positive effects of adopting a technology;
– ignore the experts and those who identify the potential downside of technology; and
– fail to think thorough the short, long, and potentially dangerous effects or dependencies – imaginatively.
We do this because we are human, and more often because we fall into the confirmation bias or other cognitive thinking traps that might affect our program or pet technology. As noted by RAND in Truth Decay:PUMA Women's Mega Nrgy Wn Sneaker - Choose SZ/ColorReebok Womens Walk Ahead Action RS Walking Shoe- Pick SZ/Color.
“Cognitive biases and the ways in which human beings process information and make decisions cause people to look for information, opinion, and analyses that confirm preexisting beliefs, to weigh experience more heavily than data and facts, and then to rely on mental shortcuts and the beliefs of those in the same social networks when forming opinions and making decisions.”9
Yet, the warning signs or signals for many unanticipated effects can be found simply by conducting a literature review of government, think tank, academic, and popular reports (to perhaps include science fiction). This may deter some, given the sheer volume of literature is often overwhelming, but contained within these reports are many of the challenges associated with future technology, such as: the potential for deep fakes, loss of privacy, hacking,Skechers Sport Womens Breathe Easy Point Taken Sneaker- Pick SZ/Color.Champion Womens Gusto Cross TrainerRegular- Pick SZ/Color. accidents, deception, and loss of industries/jobs.
At the national level, both the current and previous administrations published reports on AI, as has the Department of Defense – some more balanced in addressing of issues of fairness, safety, governance, and ethics.10
For example, using photo recognition to help law enforcement and others seems like a great idea, yet its use is increasingly being questioned. This past May, San Francisco became the first city to ban its use, and others may follow suit.11 While some question this decision to ban vice impose a moratorium until the technology produces less errors, the question remains – did the developers and policy makers consider if there would be push back to its introduction given its current performance?Salomon Women's Crossamphibian Swift W Athletic Sandal Deep Peacock BlueSkechers Performance Women's Go Step Challenge Walking Shoe What sources did they consult?
Another challenge is language. You’ve seen the commercials – “there is much we can do with AI” – in farming, business, and even beer making. While “AI” is a clever tag line, it may invoke unnecessary fear and misunderstanding. For example, I believe for most people equate “robotics” and “AI” with the “Terminator” franchise, raising the fear of uncontrolled autonomous military force overwhelming humanity. Even worse – under the moniker of “AI,” we will buy into “snake-oil” propositions.
We are at least decades away from “general AI” where a “system exhibits apparently intelligence behavior at least as advanced as a person” across the “full range of cognitive tasks,” but we continue to flaunt the use of “AI” without elaboration.Keds Women's Studio LIV Diamond Mesh Sneaker - Choose SZ/ColorSkechers Performance Women's Go Walk Upstage Slip-On Walking Shoe
SOME ACTIONS TO TAKE
Embrace a learning organization. Popularized by Peter Senge’s The Fifth Discipline: The Art and Practice of the Learning Organization (1990), a learning organization is a place “where people continually expand their capacity to create the results they truly desire, where new and expansive patterns of thinking are nurtured, where collective aspiration is set free, and where people are continually learning how to learn together.”Man's/Woman's New Balance Women's Wl520 Packaging diversity Strong value Outstanding style While some question whether we can truly make a learning organization, Senge’s thinking may help solve our problem of identifying 2nd/3rd order and evil effects.
First, we must embrace new and expansive patterns of thinking. Force developers use the acronym – “DOTMPLF-P” as shorthand for Doctrine, Organization, Training, Materiel, Personnel, Leadership, Facilities, and Policy implications – yet other factors might be as important.
For example, trust in automated or robotics systems must be instilled and measured. In one poll, 73% of respondents noted they would be afraid of riding in a fully autonomous vehicle – up 10% points from the previous year.14 What if we develop a military autonomous vehicle or a leader-follower system and one or more of our host nation allies prohibits its use? What happens if an accident occurs and the host population protests, Sneakers Femme Shoes SUPRA WMNS SOCIETY BLACK POLKA / RED - WHITEBaskets Femme DC SHOES TRICKY Black Redarguing that the Americans don’t care for their safety?
Technologists and concept developers must move from being stove-piped in labs and single-focused to consider the broader view of technological implications across functions.
Embrace Humility. Given that we cannot predict the future and its potential consequences, developers must seek out diversified opinions, and more importantly, recognize divergent opinions.
Embrace the Data. In New York City during World War II, a small organization of some of the most brilliant minds in America worked in the office of the “Applied Mathematics Panel.” In Europe, the 8th U.S. Air Force suffered from devastating bomber losses. WOMEN'S SIZE 9.5 NIKE SNEAKERS ZOOM TR CROSS TRAINER SHOE 917712 400 NIBSuperga 2750 Cotmetu Grey Black Womens Canvas Metallic Low-top TrainersLeaders wondered where best to reinforce the bombers with additional armor without significantly increasing their weight to improve survivability. Reports indicated returning bombers suffered gunfire hits over the wings and fuselage, but not in the tail or cockpits, so to the casual observer it made sense to reinforce the wings and fuselage where the damage was clearly visible.
Abraham Wald, a mathematician, worked on the problem. He noted that reinforcing the spots where damage was evident in returning aircraft wasn’t necessarily the best course of action, given that hits to the cockpit and tail were probably causing aircraft (and aircrew) losses during the mission. In a series of memorandums, he developed a “method of estimating plane vulnerability based on damage of survivors.” As Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s Sherlock Holmes noted more than 100 years ago, “It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”Women Adidas BZ0656 Stan smith Running shoes pink black sneakersNike Air Mix Down Cheerleading Dance Shoes Women’s Size 9 Used 312758 103
Additionally, we need to reinforce our practice of performing quality literature reviews to aid in our identification of these issues.
Employ Skepticism and a Devil’s Advocate Approach. In 1587, the Roman Catholic Church created the position of Promoter of the Faith – commonly referred to as the Devil’s Advocate. To insure a candidate for sainthood met the qualification of being canonized, the role of the Devil’s Advocate was to be the skeptic (loyal to the institution), looking for reasons why not to canonize the individual. Similarly, Leaders must embrace the concept of employing a devil’s advocate approach to identifying 2nd/3rd order and evil effects of technology – if not designating a devil’s advocate with the right expertise to identify assumptions, risks, and effects. But creating any devil’s advocate or “risk identification” positions is only useful if their input is seriously considered.
Embrace the Suck. Lastly, if we are serious in identifying the 2nd/3rd order and evil effects, Brooks Women's Chariot Blue Jewel Running Shoe 7 Women USAsics T7B5N GT 100 6 Women's Grey Carbon/Coral Running Shoes 7.5 D Wide $90to include identifying new dependencies, ethical issues, or other issues which challenge the adaption or development of a new technology or policy – then we must be honest, resilient, and tough. There will be setbacks, delays, and frustration.
Technology holds the power to improve and change our personal and professional lives. For the military, technology changes the ways wars are fought (i.e., the character of war), but it may also change the nature of war by potentially reducing the “human dimension” in war. If robotics, AI, and other technological developments eliminate “danger, physical exertion, intelligence and friction,”17 is war easier to wage? Will technology increase its potential frequency? Will technology create a further separation between the military and the population by decreasing the number of personnel needed? These may be some of the 2nd/3rd order and “evil” effects we need to consider.
If you enjoyed this post, please see Dr. Marsella’s previous post “Second/Third Order, and Evil Effects” – The Dark Side of Technology (Skechers D'lite Ultra Women's Casual Fashion Trainers Pink)
… as well as the following posts:Lacoste Carnaby Evo Slip 318 1 - Navy - WomensNike Women Metcon 2 Summit White CrossFit Training Athletic Shoes 821913 103 New
– COLUMBIA MONTRAIL TRANS ALPS F.K.T.II WOMEN'S TRAIL RUNNING SHOES #BL2802-845, by Dr. Nir Buras