- Christian Louboutin Black Stiletto Satin with Cobra Toe Design Pumps Size EU 41.5 (Approx. US 11.5) Regular (M, B)
- ALDO Men's Carpitella Construction Shoe, Brown Suede, 8 D US
- Gentlemen/Ladies Prada Men's Denim Slip On Fashion pattern Cheaper than the price Brand feast
- Thumb Holder Sandals White Synthetic Sandal Men Sandals Shoes New Ethnic Sandal
- Diesel Men's Splish Plaja Arcadia Pearl Flip Flops Sandals Y00435 PR184 H6288
- Sperry Top Sider Size 7.5 Light Blue Distressed Leather Boat Shoes New Womens
- Mi Adidas Mens 11.5 100% Authentic Adidas Originals • Excellent Condition
- PUMA Men's One 18.4 FG Soccer Shoe Black Size 12.5
- DREAM PAIRS Men's Viking-1 Black Insulated Waterproof Winter Snow Boots Size 8
- VTG MENS DAN POST COWBOY LEATHER BURGUNDY BOOTS SIZE 7.5 D
- Guess Edmond Leather Beige Suede Chukka Boots Shoes US 7.5 Chelsea Ankle
- Black Mens Dress Ankle boots Leather Pointed Toe Formal Zipper Block Heel Shoes
- Dr. Martens Mens Newton 8-Eye Black Reflective Snake Syn Nubuck Boots Sz 13
- DON QUIJOTE Mens Leather Boots Sz 9 E Wide Brown Embroidered White Detail
- Adidas Men's Silas Vulc Adv Skate Shoe
- Stacy Adams Men's Beau 24692 Black Leather Moc Toe Shoes
- New Women's PUMA Cleated Creeper Suede Fenty Rihanna Sneaker - 366268 MSRP $160
- Black Nude Patent Platforms Size US 7.5 Regular (M, B)
- Christian Louboutin Black Daffodile Leather Eu 38 Pumps Size US 7.5 Regular (M, B)
- Brand New Men 2036sz12 Nike Air Footscape Nm
- Nike SF Air Force 1 Mid Men's Shoes, Size 9, 917753 004
- Womens ADIDAS NMD XR1 PK W Running Trainers BB2376
- NIKE FLYKNIT TRAINER CHUKKA FSB BRIGHT CRMSN/BLCK-SEQUOIA WMNS SZ 8 (805093-603)
- Mens Summer Camouflage Flip Flops Shoes Beach Sandals Casual Slipper Outdoor Hot
- Crown Boot Company Pull On Black Vintage Leather Cowboy Womens Boots Western 7
- NIKE ZOOM FLY SHANGHAI DARK LODEN GREEN BROWN WHITE SZ 7.5 [AA3172 300]
- Nike Free RN Distance Run 827115-010 Black White Grey Men’s Size 13
- Oak and Hyde Ridge Womens Brown Leather Chelsea Ankle Boots Size
- Aerosoles A2 Women's Strole Along Ankle Boot, Grey Wool, 8 W US
- Bowknot Sweet Womens Work Shoes Pointy toe Hollow Mesh Breathable Slip on Loafer
- Cole Haan Air Women White Shoe US 10 W Pre Owned
- VERA WANG Womens Purple Leather Ballet Flats Sz 6.5 M
- CHic Transparency Occident Womens High Heels Sexy Stilettos Pointy Toe Shoes Sz
- FRANCO SARTO Patent Finish Slip On Mules,Black, Size 9 NIB
- Calvin Klein Jeans Womens Haley Floater Ankle Bootie- Pick SZ/Color.
- Gentlemen/Ladies Brooks Womens PureGrit 6- Pick SZ/Color. Year-end special promotions Strong value Highly appreciated and widely trusted in and out
- ASICS Women's GEL-Resolution 5 Tennis Shoe - Choose SZ/Color
- NIKE Womens Air Force 1 '07 Se AA0287-300 OUTDOOR GREEN/OUTDOOR GREEN Size 9
- $1195 Christian Louboutin Rantus Orlato High Top Animal Print Corazon Sneaker 37
- Sanita Nurse Black Work Shoe Comfortable Clog Light Weight Crocodile Print Sz 41
- NEW PRADA MILANO CURRENT PLATFORM CASUAL OXFORDS BLACK LEATHER SHOES 8/US 9
- Bass Rhett Brown Leather Slipon Casual Walking Loafer Shoe 12M Made in Italy
- PUMA Clyde Core Foil Men White / Black / Gold 364669-01
- MENS MARK NASON FOR SKECHERS LEATHER/TEXTILE CASUAL SHOE STYLE - HELSTON
- ADIDAS PRO MODEL BT B39507 MEN SIZE: 10,10.5,11 AVAILABLE COLOR:NAVY/WHITE
- Frye Women’s Clogs Excellent Condition 9.5 Medium
- Mr/Ms Twisted Trooper I26 Boot Women's Shoes Every item described is available First batch of customers A balance between toughness and hardness
- Muk Luks Patti Women's Cable Knit Cuff Booties Boots
- Women's Dark Black Rider Boots With Side Zipper (BrownB-003) Size-6.5
- Calvin Klein Womens Jozie Pointed Toe Ankle Fashion, Black Leather, Size 9.5 WQp
- Eastland SURF MLB CUBS Mens Surf Cubs Boat ShoeD US- Choose SZ/Color.
- Onitsuka Tiger MEXICO 66 DELUXE SH D7R2L Size 9(27cm) Black Made in Japan F/S
- Men's/Women's Adidas Tubular Shadow Shoes Men's Customer first special function Fair price
- PUMA Mens Leadcat Slides Peacoat Swimwear Beach Gym Sandals Shoes New
- Sperry Womens Angelfish Brown Leather Boat Loafer Flat Shoe
- Men's Aetrex Fitness Walking Shoes 9 4E
- Man/Woman Baby Jordan 8 Bugs Bunny Best-selling worldwide a variety of Elegant and stable packaging
- Black Men SHOES 7 D(M)US Size MODYF Steel Toe Work Safety Reflective Casual
- Original S.W.A.T. Men's Force 8" Waterproof Military and Tactical Boot 10 Black
- Mens Nocona Brown Leather Cowboy Boots Size: 10.5 EEE
- Lands End Men's Boots - Outback Hiker, Size 13, Color: Dune
- Vintage Mens High Top Ankle Boots Suede Leather Mid Heels Leopard jufeng
- Giuseppe Zanotti Dark Emerald Green Sneakers Concealed Wedge High Top Sneakers Size US 10 Regular (M, B)
- Valentino Ivory Rockstud Pumps Size US 12 Regular (M, B)
- Christian Louboutin Black Spike Boots/Booties Size EU 37 (Approx. US 7) Regular (M, B)
- Vintage Mens Nike Air Max 95 Big Logo NS GPX Trainers Slate AJ7183-400
- Nike Men's Size 13 Flex 2016 Rn Running Shoes Sneakers 830369 001 Black NEW
- Adidas NMD_R1 Primeknit
Women's Sizes US 7.5 ~ 11 / Brand New in Box!!!
- Jomos Men's Sandals Mules Genuine Leather 504610 NEW
- Man's/Woman's Steve Madden Men's Dewke Oxford economic Good market At an affordable price
- Prada Penny Loafer brown Leather Shoes 7 / US 8 $650 H13
- Men's/Women's: Air Jordan Retro 10: order
- Nike Free RN Flyknit Women's Running Shoe 831070 108 Size 5,5
- Skechers Women's Moda-Pearl Rhinestone Quarter Fashion Sneaker
- France Mode Women's brown knee high boots wedge heel 2.25" EUC
- Nike Air Jordan 1 Retro High OG Perforated White Black 555088-100 Msrp $160 CK
- Nike Tanjun PREM [876899-200] Men Casual Shoes Cargo Khaki/Black
- women Slim Block heel shoes Leather Round toe Casual Pull on Over Knee High Boot
- Mr/Ms Dolce Vita Women's Franki Ankle Bootie Elegant and sturdy set meal modern Popular recommendation
- Skechers Brown Leather & Fabric Mary Janes Women's US 7.5
- Clarks Navy Mules Womens Shoe Size 10 Blue Leather Slip on Clogs Buckle Detail
- Crocs Men's & Women's Classic Lined Clog - Choose SZ/Color
- Gentlemen/Ladies Derek Lam Raena Loafer, 8 excellent quality special function Superb craftsmanship
- TOD'S Size 37.5 EU / 7 US Black Suede Driving Moc Penny Loafer Rubber Sole
- Paul Green Finley Black Squared Leather Oxfords Shoes Womens 10 NEW IN BOX
- Wmns Nike Tessen White Women Athletic Running Shoes Sneakers Trainers AA2172-100
- Nike Air Max Thea Ultra Prm Casual Women's Shoes Size 8
- tricot COMME des GARCONS Shoes 148109 White
- Excellent New Balance Ladies Country Walking black slip on shoes size 9.5
- Franco Sarto Womens Petite Black Motorcycle Boots Shoes 8 Medium (B,M) BHFO 0785
- Geox U NEBULA22 Mens Nebula22 Fashion Sneaker- Choose SZ/Color.
- Mens Nicholas Deakins Chimp-2 Canvas Loafers Blue Brown Summer All Sizes 6-12 UK
- New Mens Skechers Relaxed Fit Superior Melvin Shoes Style 63820 Taupe 128F dr
- New Balance Flash-M｜New Genuine｜Mens Running Shoes｜Wide D｜Black/Silver/Red
- Crocs Men's Kinsale Chukka Boot - Choose SZ/Color
- Chestnut Color Faux Suede Side Zip Flat Heels Womens Knee High Over-Calf Boots
- London Fog Womens Thames Rain Boot, Black, Size 10.0 Uizd
- Not Rated Womens Aadila Closed Toe Ankle Fashion Boots Tan Size 7.5 IY3n
- SUPER SEXY! VIKTOR & ROLF BLACK LEATHER KNEE HEEL BOOTS SZ 37.5/ 6.5 US NICE
- Women's Sperry Top-Sider Bayshore Black W/Shearling Boots Size 9
- mens brogue tassel crocodile leather casual slip on business formal shoes 13.5
- LKNEW Peter Millar Chocolate Brown Nubuck Leather Braided String Loafers 10.5
- Men's Clarks Reazor Drive Penny Loafer Navy Nubuck 23253
- JORDAN HYDRO 7 VII SLIDES AA2517 001 BLACK/WHITE-GYM RED MEN US SZ 9
- NWB J. Crew Cabernet Red Maroon Suede "Lily" Block Been Flats Sz 9 Sold Out!
- Nike air Men's Soes huarache 318429-022 Size 10.5
- US 11 Mens Adidas Nastase Sneakers Barely Worn
- Red Wing Pecos Brown Leather Pull On Roper Cowboy Work Boots Men Size 9.5 E
- Christian Louboutin Pink Pigalle Follies 100 Patent Pumps Size EU 36.5 (Approx. US 6.5) Regular (M, B)
- Nine West Royal Blue Feelngood Pumps Size US 8.5 Regular (M, B)
- Ivanka Trump Gold Lissa Cut-out Ballet Flatsgold Leather Flats Size US 8 Regular (M, B)
- New Nike Vapor Speed Football Lax Turf Shoes Pink 884799-606 Mens Size 11.5
- New Mens 11.5 NIKE Hyperfr3sh Hyperfresh Gym Red White Shoes $85 759996-601
- adidas NMD R1 B37645 Women's Shoe Crystal White/Real Lilac sz 7-9：Man's/Woman's：general product
- Men rare Roper cowboy boots sz 8 1/2 light green black leather made in Spain
- JACK & JONES Nubuck Stoke Leather Boots High Top Shoes Java Beige Biker Boot
- Dr Martens 4 Hole Air Cushion Sole Boots Size 12
- New Mens Genuine Suede Show Shoes Pointy Toe Cowboy Club Chelsea Ankle Boots
- Ridge Outdoors USA AIR-TAC Waterproof 8" Tactical Boots 8056WP 9W, 9,5W, 11.5W
- Dr. Doc Martens The Original Brown Leather Oxford England US 8 Men's Nice!
- Diesel Cassidy Military Combat Boots Men Size 12
- Adidas Pureboost 2.0 Running Shoes Mens Size 14
- Womens NIKE DUALFUSION TR HIT MID Trainers 852442 800
- VANS Dazie-Hi (Summer Bummer) Reflective/Black Sk8 Hi WOMEN'S SIZE 9.5
- Womens Pointy Toe Faux Suede Bowknot Kitten Heel Zip Ankle Boots Shoes Plus Size
- New Nike Air Jordan XXXI 31 Black Cat Anthracite Black White 845037-010 Size 11
- NIKE AIR MAX 1 PREMIUM BLACK GREY 308866 001 SIZE
- Vaneli Studded Toe Leather Ankle Boot Size 5
- Noble Outfitters Womens Muds Stay Cool 6"
- Men's/Women's Ariat Women's Riata Ii Western Boot New product buy Outstanding style
- Skechers 46481 Bikers Locomotion Shoes Leather Mary Jane Ballet Flat Sneaker 6.5
- Man/Woman Prada Suede Brown Maryjanes Women's 38.5 New Listing Settlement Price Exquisite workmanship
- NIB $575 Jimmy Choo ALINA Ballet Flat Shoe Light Bronze Glitter 37.5 Pointed Toe
- VINCE CAMUTO JADINA LEATHER SHOES, SIZE 6, NWT
- NEW J.CREW BIELLA CRACLED LEATHER LOAFERS, E0843, SIZE 9, WARM SEPIA, $298
- Propet Women's TravelActiv Zip Up Sneaker White/Silver Mesh Zipper
- Nike Free RN Commuter 2017 Womens 880842-300 Igloo Aurora Running Shoes Size 5
- 1711 adidas Terrex Agravic Speed Women's Trail Running Shoes S80865
- Dansko Brown Leather Women's Clogs Size 38 US Size 7.5-8
- Apex Women's Essence Eliza Striped Oxford Brown Leather/Suede Oxfords
- Rockport K55031 Mens Ports of Call Perth- Choose SZ/Color.
- Off The Wall Vans Men's Size 10 Maroon Burgundy Canvas Leather Tongue Shoes
- Outdoor Mens Breathable Steel Toe Climbing Hiking Boots Work Safety Casual Shoes
- Skechers Men's Glides-ELTEN 65005 Black Memory Foam New In Box
- NEW $95 Converse Jack Purcell Remastered Ox Inked 151498C US Mens 9.5
- Mossimo Supply Faux Fur Boots Sz 11
- SKECHERS "FREEZING TEMPS" WOMEN BLACK BOOT, SIZE 6, 47221/BLK, NIB
- TEVA HYDRO-LIFE BALLERINA BLACK SLIP ON SHOE US 8 / / NIB
- Sol Sana Women's Lori Boot Ankle Bootie, White Patent, 35 EU/5 M US
- Men's/Women's Boot JBU Violet Wine Beautiful color Modern and stylish fashion Fine wild
- Clarks Originals Weaver Shoe Men's Peat Suede Moc Toe Two-Eye 261 29976
- Sperry Top Sider Men's Boat Shoes Gamefish Slip On Dark Tan STS16474
- Lacoste Men's Chaymon PRM2 Fashion Snekaers Navy Blue Low Casual Shoes
[Editor’s Note: In Part I of this series, Dr. Nick Marsella addressed the duty we have to examine our assumptions about emergent warfighting technologies / capabilities and their associated implications to identify potential second / third order and “evil” effects. Manas RAPALLO, femme Sneakers, noir (NERO), 39 EUùùùùùùùùùùùùùùùùùùùùùùùùTeva Women's Azure 2 Strap Thong Sandal Tan Multi Thong Sandals In today’s post, he prescribes five actions we can embrace both individually and as organizations to avoid confirmation bias and falling into cognitive thinking traps when confronting the ramifications of emergent technologies — Enjoy!]
In part I of my blog post, I advised those advocating for the development and/or fielding of technology to be mindful of the second/third order and possible “evil” effects. I defined “evil” as an unexpected and profound negative implication(s) of the adoption/adaption of a technology and related policy. I also recommended heeding the admonition of Tim Cook, Apple’s CEO, to take responsibility for our technological creations and have the courage to think things through their potential implications – both for the good and the bad.
But even if we as individuals are willing to challenge our assumptions and think broadly and imaginatively, we can still come up short. Why? The answer is due in part to the challenges of prediction and the fact we are human with both great cognitive abilities, but also weaknesses.
First, common sense and many theorists remind us that the future is unknowable.Man/Woman 12769 Donedeal Chestnut Skechers Great variety Strong value Most practicalPUMA Suede Classic Women's Glacier Gray/Island Paradise 35546268The futurist Arthur C. Clark noted in 1962, “It is impossible to predict the future, and all attempts to do in any detail appear ludicrous within a very few years.” Within this fixed condition of unknowing, the U.S. Departments of Defense and the Army must make choices to determine:
– what capabilities we desire and its related technology;
– where to invest in research and development; and
As Michael E. Raynor pointed out in his book, Gentlemen/Ladies Pleaser Women's Gala 06 Clear/Clear Modern and elegant fashion Carefully selected materials various kinds, making choices and developing strategies, which include adopting new technology, where the future is unknowable and “deeply unpredictable” either produces monumental successes or monumental failures.Cudas Women's Dorado Thong Sandal Black SandalsPleaser Women's Appeal 20 Pump Nude Patent Heels For a company this can spell financial ruin, while for the Army, it can spell disaster and the loss of Soldiers’ lives and national treasure. Yet, we must also choose a “way ahead” – often by considering “boundaries” – in a sense the left and right limits – of potential implications.
Second, our ability to predict when technology will become available is often in error nor can we accurately determine its implications. For example, in a New York Times editorial on December 8, 1903, it noted: “A man carrying airplane will eventually be built, Pleaser Women's Delight 601FL Clear/Baby Pink FlowersBearpaw Women's Alison Pull On Boot Hickory II Cow Suede Ankle Bootsbut only if mathematicians and engineers work steadily for the next ten million years.”5 The Wright Brothers first flight took place the following week, but it took decades for commercial and military aviation to evolve.
Each of the services has faced force modernization challenges due to the adoption of technologies that weren’t mature enough; whose capabilities were over-promised; or did not support operations in the envisioned Operational Environment. For the U.S. Army, Future Combat Systems (FCS) was the most obvious and recent example of this challenge – costing billions of dollars and, just as importantly, lost time and confidence.Pin Up Couture Women's Smitten 04 Pump Baby Blue Faux Leather HeelsSkechers Gratis Shake It Off Womens Sneakers Black 11
Third, in terms of future technology, predictions vary widely. For example, predictions by MIT’s Rodney Brooks and futurist/inventor Ray Kurzweil vary widely to the question – “What year do you think human-level Artificial Intelligence [AI, i.e., a true thinking machine] might be achieved with a 50% probability?” Kurzweil predicts AI (as defined) will be available in 2029, while Brooks is a bit more conservative – the year 2200 – a difference of over 170 years.Converse Chucks Taylor All Star Hi Women's Sneakers 559939c Blue Tint / GoldSkechers Women's Go Walk Lite-15372 Wide Sneaker-Select SZ/Color
While one can understand the difficulty of predicting when “general AI” will be available, other technologies offer similar difficulties. The vision of the “self-driving” autonomous vehicle was first written about and experimented with in the 1920s, yet technological limitations, legal concerns, customer fears, and other barriers make implementing this capability challenging.
Lastly, as Rodney Brooks has highlighted, Skechers 826 Street Womens Double up-Natural Instinct Fashion- Choose SZ/Color. maintains:
“we tend to overestimate the effect of a technology in the short run and underestimate the effect in the long run.”New Balance Women's Zantev3 Running Shoe Ozone Blue/Bright Cherry size 9.5
SECOND, THIRD ORDER AND EVIL EFFECTS
– intentionally focus on the positive effects of adopting a technology;
– ignore the experts and those who identify the potential downside of technology; and
– fail to think thorough the short, long, and potentially dangerous effects or dependencies – imaginatively.
We do this because we are human, and more often because we fall into the confirmation bias or other cognitive thinking traps that might affect our program or pet technology. As noted by RAND in Truth Decay:PUMA Women's Fierce Strap Swan WN's Cross-Trainer Shoe - Choose SZ/ColorSkechers Performance Women's Go Walk 4 Euphoric - Choose SZ/Color
“Cognitive biases and the ways in which human beings process information and make decisions cause people to look for information, opinion, and analyses that confirm preexisting beliefs, to weigh experience more heavily than data and facts, and then to rely on mental shortcuts and the beliefs of those in the same social networks when forming opinions and making decisions.”9
Yet, the warning signs or signals for many unanticipated effects can be found simply by conducting a literature review of government, think tank, academic, and popular reports (to perhaps include science fiction). This may deter some, given the sheer volume of literature is often overwhelming, but contained within these reports are many of the challenges associated with future technology, such as: the potential for deep fakes, loss of privacy, hacking,Reebok Women's Ridgerider 2.0 Trail Runner - Choose SZ/ColorPuma 364670-01-6 Clyde Core Low Top Foil Sneaker - / Black- Choose SZ/Color. accidents, deception, and loss of industries/jobs.
At the national level, both the current and previous administrations published reports on AI, as has the Department of Defense – some more balanced in addressing of issues of fairness, safety, governance, and ethics.10
For example, using photo recognition to help law enforcement and others seems like a great idea, yet its use is increasingly being questioned. This past May, San Francisco became the first city to ban its use, and others may follow suit.11 While some question this decision to ban vice impose a moratorium until the technology produces less errors, the question remains – did the developers and policy makers consider if there would be push back to its introduction given its current performance?Superga Women's 2750 Tiedevevetw Sneaker - Choose SZ/Coloradidas Performance S81035 Womens Crazytrain Pro W Cross Trainer What sources did they consult?
Another challenge is language. You’ve seen the commercials – “there is much we can do with AI” – in farming, business, and even beer making. While “AI” is a clever tag line, it may invoke unnecessary fear and misunderstanding. For example, I believe for most people equate “robotics” and “AI” with the “Terminator” franchise, raising the fear of uncontrolled autonomous military force overwhelming humanity. Even worse – under the moniker of “AI,” we will buy into “snake-oil” propositions.
We are at least decades away from “general AI” where a “system exhibits apparently intelligence behavior at least as advanced as a person” across the “full range of cognitive tasks,” but we continue to flaunt the use of “AI” without elaboration.PUMA Women's Ignite Running Shoe Omphalodes/Hot Coral/Ultramarine 8.5 B USASICS Women's Gel Frequency 3 Walking Shoe
SOME ACTIONS TO TAKE
Embrace a learning organization. Popularized by Peter Senge’s The Fifth Discipline: The Art and Practice of the Learning Organization (1990), a learning organization is a place “where people continually expand their capacity to create the results they truly desire, where new and expansive patterns of thinking are nurtured, where collective aspiration is set free, and where people are continually learning how to learn together.”Grasshoppers Women's Cleo Wedge Sneaker - Choose SZ/Color While some question whether we can truly make a learning organization, Senge’s thinking may help solve our problem of identifying 2nd/3rd order and evil effects.
First, we must embrace new and expansive patterns of thinking. Force developers use the acronym – “DOTMPLF-P” as shorthand for Doctrine, Organization, Training, Materiel, Personnel, Leadership, Facilities, and Policy implications – yet other factors might be as important.
For example, trust in automated or robotics systems must be instilled and measured. In one poll, 73% of respondents noted they would be afraid of riding in a fully autonomous vehicle – up 10% points from the previous year.14 What if we develop a military autonomous vehicle or a leader-follower system and one or more of our host nation allies prohibits its use? What happens if an accident occurs and the host population protests, Mizuno Wave Daichi 2 Womens Black/Hot Pink Running Shoes Size 8.5NEW ADIDAS WOMEN'S ORIGINALS STAN SMITH JACQUARD SHOES [S32255] WOMEN US 5.5arguing that the Americans don’t care for their safety?
Technologists and concept developers must move from being stove-piped in labs and single-focused to consider the broader view of technological implications across functions.
Embrace Humility. Given that we cannot predict the future and its potential consequences, developers must seek out diversified opinions, and more importantly, recognize divergent opinions.
Embrace the Data. In New York City during World War II, a small organization of some of the most brilliant minds in America worked in the office of the “Applied Mathematics Panel.” In Europe, the 8th U.S. Air Force suffered from devastating bomber losses. Miu Miu Cream Blue Pink Floral Print Flats Sneakers Size 8[BS6281] Womens Reebok Freestyle HI FBT Classics Sneaker - Smoky IndigoLeaders wondered where best to reinforce the bombers with additional armor without significantly increasing their weight to improve survivability. Reports indicated returning bombers suffered gunfire hits over the wings and fuselage, but not in the tail or cockpits, so to the casual observer it made sense to reinforce the wings and fuselage where the damage was clearly visible.
Abraham Wald, a mathematician, worked on the problem. He noted that reinforcing the spots where damage was evident in returning aircraft wasn’t necessarily the best course of action, given that hits to the cockpit and tail were probably causing aircraft (and aircrew) losses during the mission. In a series of memorandums, he developed a “method of estimating plane vulnerability based on damage of survivors.” As Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s Sherlock Holmes noted more than 100 years ago, “It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”Brand New adidas Edge Lux Women's Athletic Fashion Sneakers [B49628]Adidas Originals Women Stan Smith Nuud W Rose New Shoes Nubuck Leather CQ2898
Additionally, we need to reinforce our practice of performing quality literature reviews to aid in our identification of these issues.
Employ Skepticism and a Devil’s Advocate Approach. In 1587, the Roman Catholic Church created the position of Promoter of the Faith – commonly referred to as the Devil’s Advocate. To insure a candidate for sainthood met the qualification of being canonized, the role of the Devil’s Advocate was to be the skeptic (loyal to the institution), looking for reasons why not to canonize the individual. Similarly, Leaders must embrace the concept of employing a devil’s advocate approach to identifying 2nd/3rd order and evil effects of technology – if not designating a devil’s advocate with the right expertise to identify assumptions, risks, and effects. But creating any devil’s advocate or “risk identification” positions is only useful if their input is seriously considered.
Embrace the Suck. Lastly, if we are serious in identifying the 2nd/3rd order and evil effects, Wmns Nike Free RN Motion FK 2017 Flyknit Glacier Blue Women Running 880846-402Gentleman/Lady NIKE Shoes 331268 White 24.5ｃｍ Queensland Won highly appreciated and widely trusted at home and abroad Breathable shoesto include identifying new dependencies, ethical issues, or other issues which challenge the adaption or development of a new technology or policy – then we must be honest, resilient, and tough. There will be setbacks, delays, and frustration.
Technology holds the power to improve and change our personal and professional lives. For the military, technology changes the ways wars are fought (i.e., the character of war), but it may also change the nature of war by potentially reducing the “human dimension” in war. If robotics, AI, and other technological developments eliminate “danger, physical exertion, intelligence and friction,”17 is war easier to wage? Will technology increase its potential frequency? Will technology create a further separation between the military and the population by decreasing the number of personnel needed? These may be some of the 2nd/3rd order and “evil” effects we need to consider.
If you enjoyed this post, please see Dr. Marsella’s previous post “Second/Third Order, and Evil Effects” – The Dark Side of Technology (La Sportiva Womens TX2 Approach Trail Athletic Running Shoes Size US 7.5+)
– Puma Eskiva Mid Remaster Puma Black 361628 03 Women's SZ 7, by Dr. Nir Buras