- Christian Louboutin Black Ionescadiva 150 Veau Velours Platforms Size US 8 Regular (M, B)
- Nike Blazer High Premium white 330245 131 - mens 8
- Magnanni Franco Lo Brown Leather Low Top Sneakers Men's Shoes Size 11 M
- Camper 17665-135 Mens Peu Cami 17665 Fashion Sneaker /- Choose SZ/Color.
- Adidas Adilette Slides Mens Size 11 Tech Beige Linen Green NEW
- BCBGeneration BCBG Generation Women's Millie Loafer Flat
- ECCO Street Retro Hydromax Hybrid Golf Shoe Clubhouse Sneaker Size 43 ..US 10
- Man's/Woman's Jordans One RETRO GAMMA BLUE Excellent value Stylish and fun Caramel, gentle
- Thorogood ASR Slip On I-MET2 Composite Toe, Brown, 9.5/M brown leather!!
- Crevo Elk Men's Leather Ankle Carpenter Boots
- NIKE SFB FIELD 8" LEATHER SPECIAL FIELDS BOOT BRITISH KHAKI SZ 11.5 [688974 200]
- Mens Size 8 Under Armour Valsetz RTS Tactical Military Boots - Gently Used
- GARMONT T8 EXTREME BOOTS DESERT TAN 5 WIDE
- Lucchese Black Cherry Goat Leather Western Cowboy Boots USA | L0057 | Mens 8 D
- Mens Business Dress Formal Party Genuine Leather Driving Slip on Shoes Flats hot
- NEW CINZIA ARAIA $800 Sherling！LOW TOP37,5it/8us, Doma, Birdjan, Julius style
- Men's/Women's：Adidas QUESTAR BOOST M Mens Running Shoes Sports Trainers Sneakers：Taobao
- Christian Louboutin Black Dandelion Spikes Flats Size EU 42.5 (Approx. US 12.5) Regular (M, B)
- Christian Louboutin White Naseeba 120 Late Multicolor Red Blue Ankle Strap Sandal Heel Pumps Size EU 37 (Approx. US 7) Regular (M, B)
- Brand New! Nike Hypershift Black/White-Anthracite Basketball Shoes Size 8 Men
- Nike Kobe Dominate Size 11
- scarpe adidas stan smith con glitter rosso
- WOMEN'S NIKE SHOX GRAVITY AQ8554 106 WHITE/UNIVERSITY RED-WHITE BRAND NEW DS
- Mens Suede Shearling Moccasin Slippers Moc Toe Slip On Shoes Size 10 Brown
- Dr. Scholl's Shoes Women's Dawned Loafer, Black Microfiber, 9 M US
- Nike Air Max 90 Essential ANTHRACITE & GRANITE BLACK GREY 537384-035 sz 13
- Nike Air Huarache 2013 Japanese Exclusive BNIB DS - sz9.5
- Gentlemen/Ladies Aerosoles Longevity Studded Ankle Booties, Black Ideal gift for all occasions The highest quality material Immediate delivery
- Demonia Women's Gothika-100 Calf High Boot Black 9
- STUART WEITZMAN BLACK HIGHLAND OTK BOOTS SZ 42/12 $798
- Keen Orange Wool Fabric Clogs Size 5 1/2 Mules Loafers Slip on Shoes Flats
- Tory Burch Black Patent leather flats SIZE 9.5 M
- Man/Woman Lanvin Sofa Ballet Flat, 39 Not so expensive Let our goods go to the world TRUE
- Gentlemen/Ladies Munro Womens Yacht Closed Toe Loafers Easy to clean surface The latest technology German Outlets
- Kenzo Women's Purple Tiger Summer Style Rope Sole Espadrilles Flats Size 36
- Nike Free RN 2018 Running Shoe 942837-001 Size 10.5
- New Tory Burch Melinda Slide Leather Poppy Red 6.5
- UMBRO WEMBLEY BLK U8323CCU20 Unisex Sneakers Athletic Shoes White black
- Alexander Wang Adidas Basketball Soccer Sneakers Womens 8
- Pin Up Couture Women's Cutiepie 02 Baby Pink Patent Platform Shoes
- Men's/Women's ECCO KYLE Sneaker Men's 12-12.5 New product Impeccable cheaper
- Giorgio Rioni Mens Rocker Silver Gothic Cross Goth Loafer Shoes 6 Black Slip On
- Rockport dress classicmove Leather Loafers V80671 Mens Size 11M
- Mens Shoes Embroidery Pumps Flats Chic Slip On Loafers Casual Synthetic Sbox14
- Steve Madden Mens M Trace Black Leather Slip On Loafer Size 8.5M
- SESTO MEUCCI Ankle Boot Booties Silver Studs Western Black Leather 9.5 M
- Ruff Hewn Women's Boots SZ 9.5 M NWT
- BOTTES EN CUIR FACON DAIM T 40 NOIR QUALITE QUALITE SAC R
- Ankle Bootie 8 Brown Chestnut Katherine Muk Luk NWT Womens Water Resistant
- Keen Dry Women 8.5 Brown Blue Mid Waterproof Carbon Rubber Hiking Trail Sneaker
- Men Vlado Footwear Shoes Aristocrat ll Fashion Blue Size 12
- $550 Cesare Paciotti US 6 Leather Italian Designer Sport Shoes Paciotti size 5
- Ths01 Men's New Genuine Leather Fisherman Beach Sports Sandals Waterproof Shoes
- Hummel Larsen Slipper VC Slide Sport Sandal Bathing Shoe black 060406 2001 SALE
- $190 JOIE PREPPY PINK LOAFERS SZ 40 EU/ 10 US
- Steel Toe Composite Plate Work Men's Black Athletic Shoe 10M
- Nike Air Max Day 1 Essential Wolf Grey Dark Gray 537383-019 Mens 10.5
- Man/Woman Rangers "Chasseurs alpins" T44 fashion Comfortable touch Speed refund
- Winter Men Boots Military Camouflage Casual Tactical Leather Combat Work Shoes
- Men's Rocky 10" ErgoTuff Cool Wellington Work Boot Composite Toe 6426
- Tony Lama Mens Cowboy Western Boots Style 6552 Size 9 1/2 D Made In USA
- Excellent Mens 9 D DISTRESSED Brown Leather Ankle Boots - Great Shape!
- Dior Hortensia Pink Christian Kca078pyd Snake Designer Eur 36.5 Pumps Size US 6.5 Regular (M, B)
- Valentino Lipstick Suede Rockstud Ankle Strap Pumps Size EU 37.5 (Approx. US 7.5) Regular (M, B)
- Christian Louboutin Noisette Pop Corn/Silver Bikee Bike Leather Multy Spikes Studded Flat Sandals Size EU 39 (Approx. US 9) Regular (M, B)
- NIKE MAGISTA OPUS II SG-PRO AC WHITE BLACK VOLT WOLF GREY SIZE 12.5 (889254-108)
- Men’s NIKE Free Flyknit Chukka PR QS Game Royal Shoes 640652-400 Size 10 S200
- Adidas Nmd_r2 Pk Womens Style : By9953 St Major/St Major/Shock Pink Size 7.5
- Skechers Mens ROVATO- TEXON OxfordWide US- Select SZ/Color.
- NIKE SB ZOOM STEFAN JANOSKI - KHAKI / GORGE GREEN WHITE SMOKE 333824 233 SZ 8
- 550$ Bally Herald 300 Black Leather Slip on Shoes size US 12.5
- ADIDAS Flash Sneakers True Vintage 80s Made in Rep Korea Canvas Trainers USA 6.5
- NIKE AIR HUARACHE ULTRA RUN BREATHABLE ATHLETIC SHOES
- NIKE WOMENS AIR PRESTO FLY SIZE 9.5 DESERT SAND 910569-201 FLYKNIT RUNNING
- New $90 Womens STYLE&Co Motorcycle Boots High-Ankle Riding Shoes Biker Booties
- Nike Air Jordan VI 6 Retro Low WHITE INFRARED 23 RED BLACK BRED 304401-123 13
- NIKE AIR JORDAN SUPER FLY 5 PO MENS TRAINERS SNEAKERS SHOES Eur 43
- Muck Edgewater II Black Womens Neoprene Non-safety Wellington Boots
- Steve Madden Women's Trevur Ankle Bootie - Choose SZ/Color
- Nine West Womens spruce Fabric Pointed Toe Ballet Flats
- Steve Madden Shoes Size 7 B Womens Ballet Flats Pout Leather Knot Maroon
- All Size Fashion Womens Solid Flowers Slip On Suede Wedge Heels Shoes Casual New
- Man's/Woman's Paul Green Women's Newcastle Ballet Flat Promotion Stylish and fun wonderful
- Loeffler Randall Women's Lois Suede Moccasin Flats Retail $295 size 8
- Men's/Women's Charlotte Olympia Kitty Ballet Flat, 42 Beautiful color special function Fashion dynamic
- Saucony Triumph ISO 2 Running Shoe - Women's Size 8W Gray/Blue
- Women's Nike Air Max 1 N7 - SIZE 7.5 - AO2321-100 Blue Court Purple White Retro
- Nike Wmns Air Huarache Run PRM - 683818 100
- Ecco Expedition Yak Leather Performance Shoes Women’s Size 40 (US 9/9.5)
- Penny Loves Kenny Womens Dallas Black Motorcycle Boots Shoes 7.5 BHFO 6101
- Invicta 22645 Mens Objet dArt Automatic Stainless Steel and Leather Casual
- Mens Fashion Breathable Shoes Manual Sewing Shoes Comfortable Casual Shoes
- Men Pointy Toe Strap Formal Dress Business PU Leather Flat Hollow Out Shoes Shed
- NWB Polo Ralph Lauren Men's Vaughn Fashion Sneaker Embroidered pony logo MSRP$65
- Spenco Siesta - Men's Slide Orthotic Support Java - 14
- Karen Scott "Dara" Dark Brown Man Made Casual Med Heel Side Zip Ankle Boots 8M
- VANELi Womens BARTROL STONE TRAPPER Peep Toe Casual Stone Trapper Size 6.0 FAw
- Rialto Womens FIRSTROW Closed Toe Knee High Fashion Boots, Black, Size 6.0
- EUC Women Franco Sarto Charmer Ankle Black Leather Boots Wingtip Size US 10M A1
- Bottes Fourrées GEOX Daim Marron T 39 TRES BON ETAT
- Propet Vista Strap - Men's A5500 Diabetic Casual Sh Black - 8 X-Wide
- New $790 Bottega Veneta Men's Leather Chelsea Boots Shoes Coffee 8 US/41 Eu
- F-49 Maharaja Royal Traditinol Khussa Shoe/Juti/Mojari MENS Usa Size -11
- Gentlemen/Ladies MENS GREY MULE SANDALS "A0020" New varieties are launched The latest technology Acknowledgement feedback
- Reef Men's 2350 Macaronis Brown Leather Sandal Size 9
- Sport Shoes Boys Outdoor Breathable Anti-slip Casual Shoes for Men - TANGERINE
- Nike Lunar Superbad Pro TD Mid Mens Football Cleats 511328 116 Orange White 16
- VTG HY-TEST BLACK CHERRY LEATHER WESTERN COWBOY BOOTS-SAFETY TOE/OIL RESIST-9EE
- Chloé Pringle Yellow Kyle Genuine Shearling Fur Sneakers Sneakers Size US 5 Regular (M, B)
- Christian Louboutin Black Leather and Mesh Ankle Boots/Booties Size US 7.5 Regular (M, B)
- Christian Louboutin Grey Top 70 Roche Suede Ankle High Zipper Tall Heel Boots/Booties Size EU 36 (Approx. US 6) Regular (M, B)
- Nike Benassi Slip On Mens 882410-004 Athletic Grey Suede Shoes Sz 11
- NEW Nike Zoom PV II 2 Pole Vault Shoes Men’s Size 9.5 Track Spikes 317404-413
- Adidas Women's Size 10 Terrex Choleah High Climaproof Winter Boots S80742
- *DAN POST* VINTAGE COWBOY BOOTS MAROON SZ 10.5 D
- NEW BLACKFOX | Cheyenne Ladies Waterproof Fur Lined Gumboot Blackfox Botanex
- Mr/Ms Portwest Compositelite Trekker Shoe Black FC64 Elegant appearance Elegant and sturdy packaging Very practical
- Punk Mens Leather Round Toe Over Knee Riding Boots Nightclub Dance Cosplay Shoes
- Justin Basics Men's Cowboy Boots Crazy Cow Style JB1100 Sz 6.5 D - NWOB
- Lacoste Men's Bayliss Vulc Prm Us Spm Fashion Sneaker
- Invicta Men's 9311 Mako Swiss Pro Diver Quartz Watch
- Adidas SEELEY Black Running White Teal (210) Men's Shoe's
- WMNS NIKE AIR MAX 90 325213 037 BLACK/COOL GREY-WHITE - PREMIUM LEATHER/MESH
- Nike Air Max Advantage Women's running shoes 908991 402 Multiple sizes
- Womens Sports Shoes Pull on Creeper Platform Wedge Heels Fashion Europe Shoes Wi
- NIKE AIR TRAINER 1 MID PRM PB QS SIZE 9.5 (56832-1 AO)
- Nike Jordan Formula 23 Low gym red/pure platinum/black Sz 8.5 919724 606
- Women's Denim Knee high Boots Stilettos Super High heel Platform Casual Shoes
- 2 Lips Too Women's Too Lexia Fashion Boot, Black, 6 M US
- NIB $750 Robert Clergerie Lista Grey LCalf Platform Wedge Booties US 9 /
- Womens Flats Sequins Pointed Toe Boat Shoes Casual Slip On Oxfords Loafers C677
- 2018 Summer New Womens Flat Heel Occident Leather Cssual Slippers Mules shoes
- Circus by Sam Edelman Women's Caley Ballet Flat - Choose SZ/Color
- Melissa Women's Maisie II Flats Light Brown 8 BM US
- Valentino Orange Rockstud Leather Ballet Flats Size 39.5 EU / 9.5 US
- NERO GIARDINI A732681F TEEN women's shoes sneakers leather suede velvet casual
- Puma Fierce Culture Surf Athletic Women's Shoes Size
- Brooks Launch 4 Womens Running Shoes (B) (014) | Brand New!
- Mr/Ms NEW GIUSEPPE ZANOTTI OUTSEASON WOMENS SKYLAR New product Ranked first in its class Explosive good goods
- Dr. Comfort Diabetic Shoes Black Leather Size 9 Womens - 8710 - New in Box
- TED BAKER LONDON "JAMFRO" Men's Nutmeg Tan Suede Brogue Shoes Size US 8
- Dockers Mens Brown Leather Shoes 9m
- NEW 10.5 M Sperry Top Sider Cadet mens leather black nubuck white sneakers sharp
- Mens Sperry Top Sider Tan Leather Boat Shoe Loafer Size 91/2
- New ! Lacoste Asparta 118 1P Men's Black/White Color Shoes Size: 10.5
- LL Bean Womans Rain Boots Size 9
- SALE Qupid Proud Cuff Over The Knee / Knee Hi Slouch Flat Boot TAUPE tan Wmn 10M
- F50680- Ladies Anne Michelle Heeled Knee High Pull On Boot 3 Colours Great Price
- LUCIANO BARACHINI - BOTTINES TALONS TOUT CUIR VELOURS NOIR 37ITL 38FR EXCEL ETAT
- Alberto Fermani Dark Brown Burgundy Leather Boots Shoes Size 39 / 8 - 8.5
- Vintage PRO-Keds Brown Suede/Leather Athletic Running Tennis Shoe Sneakers Sz 10
- CAC China MAJ-18 6-Inch Majesty Bone China Nappie, 12-Ounce, Box of 36
- New Nike BENASSI JDI Men's Anthracite/Anthracite 343880-008 Slide Sandals
[Editor’s Note: In Part I of this series, Dr. Nick Marsella addressed the duty we have to examine our assumptions about emergent warfighting technologies / capabilities and their associated implications to identify potential second / third order and “evil” effects. Haflinger Filtztoffel Blizzard Credo Wool Felt Clogs - All Colors And SizesURBAN PIPELINE Men's BLUE PLAID Moccasin Slippers Size L (10-11) NEW Tags In today’s post, he prescribes five actions we can embrace both individually and as organizations to avoid confirmation bias and falling into cognitive thinking traps when confronting the ramifications of emergent technologies — Enjoy!]
In part I of my blog post, I advised those advocating for the development and/or fielding of technology to be mindful of the second/third order and possible “evil” effects. I defined “evil” as an unexpected and profound negative implication(s) of the adoption/adaption of a technology and related policy. I also recommended heeding the admonition of Tim Cook, Apple’s CEO, to take responsibility for our technological creations and have the courage to think things through their potential implications – both for the good and the bad.
But even if we as individuals are willing to challenge our assumptions and think broadly and imaginatively, we can still come up short. Why? The answer is due in part to the challenges of prediction and the fact we are human with both great cognitive abilities, but also weaknesses.
First, common sense and many theorists remind us that the future is unknowable.Tempur-Pedic Men's Slippers Size 10 Brown Leather Slip On Rubber Sole Warm ShoesAlpine Swiss Mens Double Strap Slide Sandals EVA Sole Flat Casual Comfort ShoesThe futurist Arthur C. Clark noted in 1962, “It is impossible to predict the future, and all attempts to do in any detail appear ludicrous within a very few years.” Within this fixed condition of unknowing, the U.S. Departments of Defense and the Army must make choices to determine:
– what capabilities we desire and its related technology;
– where to invest in research and development; and
– what to purchase and field.NEW EMU Ridge Suede Ausralian Merino Wool Slippers Mens Size 10Globe Men’s Castro Moccasin Slippers Men's Size 7
As Michael E. Raynor pointed out in his book, Genuine Leather Men Home Slippers Linen Home Slippers Indoor Bedroom Sandals, making choices and developing strategies, which include adopting new technology, where the future is unknowable and “deeply unpredictable” either produces monumental successes or monumental failures.VIONIC Adler Slipper, Men's Size 9.5, Brown DAMAGEDMen's and Women's Comfort Quilted Memory Foam Fleece Lining House Slippers Sl... For a company this can spell financial ruin, while for the Army, it can spell disaster and the loss of Soldiers’ lives and national treasure. Yet, we must also choose a “way ahead” – often by considering “boundaries” – in a sense the left and right limits – of potential implications.
Second, our ability to predict when technology will become available is often in error nor can we accurately determine its implications. For example, in a New York Times editorial on December 8, 1903, it noted: “A man carrying airplane will eventually be built, Man/Woman CLARKS Men's Capler Step Slip-On Loafer Many styles Preferred material Easy lifeRockport Men Memory Foam Slippers Size 8.5 9 M Brown Suede Traction Outsole Sewnbut only if mathematicians and engineers work steadily for the next ten million years.”5 The Wright Brothers first flight took place the following week, but it took decades for commercial and military aviation to evolve.
Each of the services has faced force modernization challenges due to the adoption of technologies that weren’t mature enough; whose capabilities were over-promised; or did not support operations in the envisioned Operational Environment. For the U.S. Army, Future Combat Systems (FCS) was the most obvious and recent example of this challenge – costing billions of dollars and, just as importantly, lost time and confidence.Men's Memory Foam Slipper Cozy Fuzzy Wool Fleece Slip On Clog Shoes Gray 13-14Sanuk Vagabond Chill - Wide - Men's Brown - 11
Third, in terms of future technology, predictions vary widely. For example, predictions by MIT’s Rodney Brooks and futurist/inventor Ray Kurzweil vary widely to the question – “What year do you think human-level Artificial Intelligence [AI, i.e., a true thinking machine] might be achieved with a 50% probability?” Kurzweil predicts AI (as defined) will be available in 2029, while Brooks is a bit more conservative – the year 2200 – a difference of over 170 years.new fila men slippers comfort Sport SlidesBATMAN MENS SLIPPERS SIZE 11 MENS CASUAL SHOES RUBBER SOLES CANVAS SUPER HERO
While one can understand the difficulty of predicting when “general AI” will be available, other technologies offer similar difficulties. The vision of the “self-driving” autonomous vehicle was first written about and experimented with in the 1920s, yet technological limitations, legal concerns, customer fears, and other barriers make implementing this capability challenging.
Lastly, as Rodney Brooks has highlighted, Eddie Bauer Size 13 Brown Shearling Suede Slippers Ankle Boot Sherpa Shoes maintains:
“we tend to overestimate the effect of a technology in the short run and underestimate the effect in the long run.”Lamo Men's Elk Slipper Red Plaid Slippers
SECOND, THIRD ORDER AND EVIL EFFECTS
– intentionally focus on the positive effects of adopting a technology;
– ignore the experts and those who identify the potential downside of technology; and
– fail to think thorough the short, long, and potentially dangerous effects or dependencies – imaginatively.
We do this because we are human, and more often because we fall into the confirmation bias or other cognitive thinking traps that might affect our program or pet technology. As noted by RAND in Truth Decay:1808 Nike Benassi JDI Printed Men's Slides Slippers 631261-202Deer Stags Men's Nordic Clog, Black Suede, 13 M US
“Cognitive biases and the ways in which human beings process information and make decisions cause people to look for information, opinion, and analyses that confirm preexisting beliefs, to weigh experience more heavily than data and facts, and then to rely on mental shortcuts and the beliefs of those in the same social networks when forming opinions and making decisions.”9
Yet, the warning signs or signals for many unanticipated effects can be found simply by conducting a literature review of government, think tank, academic, and popular reports (to perhaps include science fiction). This may deter some, given the sheer volume of literature is often overwhelming, but contained within these reports are many of the challenges associated with future technology, such as: the potential for deep fakes, loss of privacy, hacking,Boston Red Sox Team Jersey Indoor/Outdoor Slippers ~ Size Medium (9-10) ~NWTClub Room NEW Blue Men's Size 9.5M Terry Clog Memory Foam Slipper $35 accidents, deception, and loss of industries/jobs.
At the national level, both the current and previous administrations published reports on AI, as has the Department of Defense – some more balanced in addressing of issues of fairness, safety, governance, and ethics.10
For example, using photo recognition to help law enforcement and others seems like a great idea, yet its use is increasingly being questioned. This past May, San Francisco became the first city to ban its use, and others may follow suit.11 While some question this decision to ban vice impose a moratorium until the technology produces less errors, the question remains – did the developers and policy makers consider if there would be push back to its introduction given its current performance?Club Room Mens Noelle Bootie Slippers tan LMen’s Allen Edmonds Brown Leather Shearling Slippers Size 11.5 Great For Xmas!! What sources did they consult?
Another challenge is language. You’ve seen the commercials – “there is much we can do with AI” – in farming, business, and even beer making. While “AI” is a clever tag line, it may invoke unnecessary fear and misunderstanding. For example, I believe for most people equate “robotics” and “AI” with the “Terminator” franchise, raising the fear of uncontrolled autonomous military force overwhelming humanity. Even worse – under the moniker of “AI,” we will buy into “snake-oil” propositions.
We are at least decades away from “general AI” where a “system exhibits apparently intelligence behavior at least as advanced as a person” across the “full range of cognitive tasks,” but we continue to flaunt the use of “AI” without elaboration.Nike Jordan Hydro XI Retro 11 Medium Grey Gunsmoke Men Sports Sandal AA1336-004NEW Kirkland Signature Men's Shearling Slippers black SIZE 10 FAST SHIPPING NIB
SOME ACTIONS TO TAKE
Embrace a learning organization. Popularized by Peter Senge’s The Fifth Discipline: The Art and Practice of the Learning Organization (1990), a learning organization is a place “where people continually expand their capacity to create the results they truly desire, where new and expansive patterns of thinking are nurtured, where collective aspiration is set free, and where people are continually learning how to learn together.”Mens Slip On Sport Sandals Slides Rubber Shower Shoes Outdoor Pool Gym House New While some question whether we can truly make a learning organization, Senge’s thinking may help solve our problem of identifying 2nd/3rd order and evil effects.
First, we must embrace new and expansive patterns of thinking. Force developers use the acronym – “DOTMPLF-P” as shorthand for Doctrine, Organization, Training, Materiel, Personnel, Leadership, Facilities, and Policy implications – yet other factors might be as important.
For example, trust in automated or robotics systems must be instilled and measured. In one poll, 73% of respondents noted they would be afraid of riding in a fully autonomous vehicle – up 10% points from the previous year.14 What if we develop a military autonomous vehicle or a leader-follower system and one or more of our host nation allies prohibits its use? What happens if an accident occurs and the host population protests, SHEEP WOOL SLIPPERS BOOTY STYLE * NON SKID SOLES * as warm as sheepskin US MenNew Indoor Slippers Men Spring Summer Cow Leather Anti Slip Flat Home Slippersarguing that the Americans don’t care for their safety?
Technologists and concept developers must move from being stove-piped in labs and single-focused to consider the broader view of technological implications across functions.
Embrace Humility. Given that we cannot predict the future and its potential consequences, developers must seek out diversified opinions, and more importantly, recognize divergent opinions.
Embrace the Data. In New York City during World War II, a small organization of some of the most brilliant minds in America worked in the office of the “Applied Mathematics Panel.” In Europe, the 8th U.S. Air Force suffered from devastating bomber losses. Zedzzz Mens George Touch Fastening Check Velour Slippers (DF843)Summer Shoes Outdoor Hollow Out Slippers Men Sandals Beach Boy Flats Casual ChicLeaders wondered where best to reinforce the bombers with additional armor without significantly increasing their weight to improve survivability. Reports indicated returning bombers suffered gunfire hits over the wings and fuselage, but not in the tail or cockpits, so to the casual observer it made sense to reinforce the wings and fuselage where the damage was clearly visible.
Abraham Wald, a mathematician, worked on the problem. He noted that reinforcing the spots where damage was evident in returning aircraft wasn’t necessarily the best course of action, given that hits to the cockpit and tail were probably causing aircraft (and aircrew) losses during the mission. In a series of memorandums, he developed a “method of estimating plane vulnerability based on damage of survivors.” As Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s Sherlock Holmes noted more than 100 years ago, “It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”New Skechers Superior Milford Mens Comfortable Slip On Memory Foam ShoesBLACK RED WHITE BANDANA HOUSE SHOES SLIPPERS TROOPER NEW SIZE 9 10 11 12 13
Additionally, we need to reinforce our practice of performing quality literature reviews to aid in our identification of these issues.
Employ Skepticism and a Devil’s Advocate Approach. In 1587, the Roman Catholic Church created the position of Promoter of the Faith – commonly referred to as the Devil’s Advocate. To insure a candidate for sainthood met the qualification of being canonized, the role of the Devil’s Advocate was to be the skeptic (loyal to the institution), looking for reasons why not to canonize the individual. Similarly, Leaders must embrace the concept of employing a devil’s advocate approach to identifying 2nd/3rd order and evil effects of technology – if not designating a devil’s advocate with the right expertise to identify assumptions, risks, and effects. But creating any devil’s advocate or “risk identification” positions is only useful if their input is seriously considered.
Embrace the Suck. Lastly, if we are serious in identifying the 2nd/3rd order and evil effects, Traditional Indain Handmade Casual Slippers Men Shoes Flip-Flops Flat US 6-10Rockport $90 MEN SHOES SLIPPERS Suede Moccasin Slippers SIZE 11 Brown SALE P16to include identifying new dependencies, ethical issues, or other issues which challenge the adaption or development of a new technology or policy – then we must be honest, resilient, and tough. There will be setbacks, delays, and frustration.
Technology holds the power to improve and change our personal and professional lives. For the military, technology changes the ways wars are fought (i.e., the character of war), but it may also change the nature of war by potentially reducing the “human dimension” in war. If robotics, AI, and other technological developments eliminate “danger, physical exertion, intelligence and friction,”17 is war easier to wage? Will technology increase its potential frequency? Will technology create a further separation between the military and the population by decreasing the number of personnel needed? These may be some of the 2nd/3rd order and “evil” effects we need to consider.
If you enjoyed this post, please see Dr. Marsella’s previous post “Second/Third Order, and Evil Effects” – The Dark Side of Technology (Bearpaw Gale Suede Moccasin Slippers, Men's - Size 10, Black)
– Acorn Men's Fave Gore Slipper, by Dr. Nir Buras