- Mr/Ms Trotters Women's Dea Multi Quilted Slingbacks durable Brand Very practical
- NEW auth TOD’S mens white leather sneakers Size UK10=US11=44EU
- Merrell Mens Loafers Brown Leather Slip On Performance Footwear Size 7 Medium
- Sperry Men's Authentic Original 2-Eye Boat Shoe - Classic Brown, 11.5
- Men's Shoes Sanuk Chiba Quest Slip-on Loafer Size 9M Olive
- Converse CTAS ll Hi- Leather - Collard Green/Parchment- Men's 9 NWOB
- Rebel by ZIGI Nanon Ankle Boots 227, Grey, 8.5 US
- Thalia Sodi Noa Black Faux Suede Wedge Heel Ankle Booties. Size 6 M
- Women fashion plus size warm winter Mid Calf High Increasing Round Toe Boots
- Falchi Womens NWB Z0055 Zoe Black Boots Shoes Size 5.5 MED NEW
- Rocket Dog SALOMAFS Womens Saloma Francois Pu Ankle Bootie- Choose SZ/Color.
- Mens suede stylish slip on Loafers low heel Casual Moccasins Dress Formal New Sz
- Thorogood Uniform SoftStreets 834-6906 Mens Plain Toe Chukka Work Shoes
- Men's Rockport Path To Greatness PTG Slip On V79524 New Dress Blues Brand New
- Havaianas Mens 4132002-8164-434 Slip On Open Toe Flip Flops Grey Size 6.5
- Womens ECCO CLAY 226500 Brown Leather Loafers Sz. 38 NEW!
- Mens Keen Oakridge Low WP Trail Hiking Shoes Size US 11 Magnet/Gargoyle
- NEW Puma Men's Sky II Hi BBall Shoes 36316101 Size 8 Black Gold
- Men's Bates New Black Leather Tactical Enforcer Series 8" Boots Sz 7 Wide
- ROCKY 4213 WOMEN'S 6" RANGER BROWN LEATHER SOFT TOE BOOTS SIZE 10M NEW
- Helly Hansen Workwear Men's Black Boots 10M
- Brogue Mens Brogue Wingtip Ankle Boots Chelsea Pull On Formal Dress Leather Shoe
- CAT Men's 2nd Shift (Honey Reset) Soft Toe Work Boot
- Gentlemen/Ladies PF Flyers Center Hi Black Shoes Rich design product quality Contrary to the same paragraph
- men's shoes BASE LONDON 8 () elegant blue shiny leather BZ419-C
- Bugatchi Men's Black Loafer Suede and Leather Italy Moccasin Shoes Sz US12.5
- Christian Louboutin Python Lucido Roccia Heels Wedges Size EU 39.5 (Approx. US 9.5) Regular (M, B)
- Hermès Fushia Pink Oran Lizard Leather Sandals Size US 6.5 Regular (M, B)
- Christian Louboutin Multicolor 1130793 Platforms Size EU 39 (Approx. US 9) Narrow (Aa, N)
- NIKE SB ZOOM BLAZER LOW SZ 11 ELEMENTAL PINK BLACK WHITE 864347 600
- 2016 Nike Zoom Veer SP SZ 10 Wolf Grey White NikeLab QS PRM OG 844675-011
- PUMA 36222201 - Suede Platform Gold Size: - Color:
- DONNA ADIDAS PUREBOOST W - 21350 - BIANCO NERO SPORTIVE multicolori
- Nike Free RN CMTR 2018 GS Black White Kid Youth Women Slip On Shoes AH3460-001
- adidas Samoa Vintage - Pink - Womens
- Leather Women Ankle Boots Square Toe Chelsea Boots Block Heels Zip Casual Shoes
- NIKE LF 1 LUNAR FORCE 1 DUCKBOOT '17 Youth 922807-200 Olive US 7Y New
- Nike Zoom All Court 2 Low TZ Ink/Champagne-White Fragment 488492-500 SZ 12
- PLEASER Adore-1024RSF Series 7" Heel Sexy Exotic Ankle-High Boot
- Women's Nike Flyknit Zoom Agilty Chalk Blue Running Training Shoes* Size 9
- Sesto Meucci Women's 1528 Viso New Calf Boot 5.5 M B
- Ladies Pumps Breathable Suede Round Toe Slip On Platform Shoes Wedge Creepers
- A2 by Aerosoles Women's Time Limit Slip-on Loafer Black 7 M US
- Cole Haan Womens W02516 Closed Toe Boat Shoes Twine Size 6.0
- NEW Donald J Pliner CVSO Denda Ballet Flat Silver Leather Shoe Womens Sz 6M $198
- Man/Woman Church's Shoes 226830 Black 36 Consumer first At a lower price Authentic guarantee
- Nike Shox 5 Women's 2004 Training Shoes US 11 Silver Sky Blue 308884-111
- Adidas Women's Originals Superstar Slipon Shoes AC8581 White & Black 2018 18Y
- Nike Air Max Thea Womens Carbon Green/Carbon Green/Sail/Metallic Gold 16723304
- COLOR WERKS BEADED WOMANS SNEAKERS CELESTIAL DESIGN SIZE 11W
- Dansko Women's Loralie Mary Jane Flat, Navy Burnished Nubuck, 39 M US
- CORCORAN SZ 10 1/2 E CAP TOE JUMP BOOTS MADE IN USA
- Men's Clarks Outdoor Shoes Water Hiking Slip On Grey Size 9 US
- Emerica Men's Wino G6 Skate Shoe Dark Grey/Grey Size 5.0
- Steve Madden Navy Slip-On Loafer - Men's 8 M, Brown
- Polo Ralph Lauren Size 11.5 M Vito Pink Canvas Slip On Sneakers New Mens Shoes
- Black Nine West Vintage America Collection Vasookie Calf Boots Women’s 5.5M
- Michael Antonio Women's Meadow Bootie (1287) Whiskey Size 9
- KICKERS GENUINE LEATHER BOOTS 6 9 39 $350 WOMEN BLACK ANKLE
- Sofft Womens NWOB Brown Ankle Boots Shoes 7 MED NEW
- LE CIEL BLShoes 939212 Black 36 1/2
- Man/Woman adidas Originals Men's Superstar Bounce New product First quality Different styles and styles
- Cole Haan City Air Slip On Loafers Dress Casual Shoes Leather Mens Size 10 M
- New Itasca Mens Sneakers Athletic Suede & Fabric Out Door Walking Shoes
- Skechers Men's 65461/CHOC Relaxed Fit-Reggae-Belano Flip-Flop Chocolate Size 10
- Kaanas Womens Santa Fe Suede Closed Toe Loafers
[Editor’s Note: In Part I of this series, Dr. Nick Marsella addressed the duty we have to examine our assumptions about emergent warfighting technologies / capabilities and their associated implications to identify potential second / third order and “evil” effects. Huge Demonia 3.25" Monster Platform Pink/Black Studded Canvas Shoes Goth 6-11Vogue Mens Letter Platform Block High Heels Pull On Over Knee Boots Shoes Riding In today’s post, he prescribes five actions we can embrace both individually and as organizations to avoid confirmation bias and falling into cognitive thinking traps when confronting the ramifications of emergent technologies — Enjoy!]
In part I of my blog post, I advised those advocating for the development and/or fielding of technology to be mindful of the second/third order and possible “evil” effects. I defined “evil” as an unexpected and profound negative implication(s) of the adoption/adaption of a technology and related policy. I also recommended heeding the admonition of Tim Cook, Apple’s CEO, to take responsibility for our technological creations and have the courage to think things through their potential implications – both for the good and the bad.
But even if we as individuals are willing to challenge our assumptions and think broadly and imaginatively, we can still come up short. Why? The answer is due in part to the challenges of prediction and the fact we are human with both great cognitive abilities, but also weaknesses.
First, common sense and many theorists remind us that the future is unknowable.Womens Pu Leather Shoes Knee High Boots Side Zip Mid Heel Velvet Lining 4.5-11.5Womens stylish pointy toe ankle short Boots kitten heels grace Lady shoes Sz NewThe futurist Arthur C. Clark noted in 1962, “It is impossible to predict the future, and all attempts to do in any detail appear ludicrous within a very few years.” Within this fixed condition of unknowing, the U.S. Departments of Defense and the Army must make choices to determine:
– what capabilities we desire and its related technology;
– where to invest in research and development; and
As Michael E. Raynor pointed out in his book, Skechers Women's D'Lites-Alps Snow Boot Female Bootie Shoes Quality, making choices and developing strategies, which include adopting new technology, where the future is unknowable and “deeply unpredictable” either produces monumental successes or monumental failures.New Womens Buckle Strap Mid Heel Punk Motorcycle Ankle Boots Pieced Zipper ShoesWomen Big Buckle Pointed Toe Ankle Boots Leather Slim Med Heel Pull on Casual For a company this can spell financial ruin, while for the Army, it can spell disaster and the loss of Soldiers’ lives and national treasure. Yet, we must also choose a “way ahead” – often by considering “boundaries” – in a sense the left and right limits – of potential implications.
Second, our ability to predict when technology will become available is often in error nor can we accurately determine its implications. For example, in a New York Times editorial on December 8, 1903, it noted: “A man carrying airplane will eventually be built, Suede Leather Fringe Style Boots Ankle Black Shoe Stylish Sandal For Girl'sGentlemen/Ladies DOMINA-2000 use Attractive fashion Authentic guaranteebut only if mathematicians and engineers work steadily for the next ten million years.”5 The Wright Brothers first flight took place the following week, but it took decades for commercial and military aviation to evolve.
Each of the services has faced force modernization challenges due to the adoption of technologies that weren’t mature enough; whose capabilities were over-promised; or did not support operations in the envisioned Operational Environment. For the U.S. Army, Future Combat Systems (FCS) was the most obvious and recent example of this challenge – costing billions of dollars and, just as importantly, lost time and confidence.Ladies Ankle Low Boots in Handcrafted Burnished Effect by Andreawomen ethic chelsea suede flats quilted elastic stitching pull on ankle boots
Third, in terms of future technology, predictions vary widely. For example, predictions by MIT’s Rodney Brooks and futurist/inventor Ray Kurzweil vary widely to the question – “What year do you think human-level Artificial Intelligence [AI, i.e., a true thinking machine] might be achieved with a 50% probability?” Kurzweil predicts AI (as defined) will be available in 2029, while Brooks is a bit more conservative – the year 2200 – a difference of over 170 years.Women's Velvet Slim High Heel Pointed Toe Pull On Fashion Over The Knee Boots SzFashion Women's Over Knee Length Denim Boots Peep Toes High Heels Summer Boots
While one can understand the difficulty of predicting when “general AI” will be available, other technologies offer similar difficulties. The vision of the “self-driving” autonomous vehicle was first written about and experimented with in the 1920s, yet technological limitations, legal concerns, customer fears, and other barriers make implementing this capability challenging.
Lastly, as Rodney Brooks has highlighted, crocs Womens Freesail Chelsea W Rain Boot- Pick SZ/Color. maintains:
“we tend to overestimate the effect of a technology in the short run and underestimate the effect in the long run.”Bearpaw KNIT TALL Boots 14" Sweater Gray AUTHENTIC 658 Sheepskin Womens Size NEW
SECOND, THIRD ORDER AND EVIL EFFECTS
– intentionally focus on the positive effects of adopting a technology;
– ignore the experts and those who identify the potential downside of technology; and
– fail to think thorough the short, long, and potentially dangerous effects or dependencies – imaginatively.
We do this because we are human, and more often because we fall into the confirmation bias or other cognitive thinking traps that might affect our program or pet technology. As noted by RAND in Truth Decay:Carlos by Carlos Santana Women's Della Ankle Boot, Doe, 9.5 Medium USNew Womens Pull On Suede Pointy Toe Over Knee High Thigh Boots High Block Heel
“Cognitive biases and the ways in which human beings process information and make decisions cause people to look for information, opinion, and analyses that confirm preexisting beliefs, to weigh experience more heavily than data and facts, and then to rely on mental shortcuts and the beliefs of those in the same social networks when forming opinions and making decisions.”9
Yet, the warning signs or signals for many unanticipated effects can be found simply by conducting a literature review of government, think tank, academic, and popular reports (to perhaps include science fiction). This may deter some, given the sheer volume of literature is often overwhelming, but contained within these reports are many of the challenges associated with future technology, such as: the potential for deep fakes, loss of privacy, hacking,Joules Design Print Women Waterproof Fashion Rain Festival Walking Wellies BootsElegant Camouflage Women Knee High Boots Punk Rivets Wedge Hidden Heel Shoe R499 accidents, deception, and loss of industries/jobs.
At the national level, both the current and previous administrations published reports on AI, as has the Department of Defense – some more balanced in addressing of issues of fairness, safety, governance, and ethics.10
For example, using photo recognition to help law enforcement and others seems like a great idea, yet its use is increasingly being questioned. This past May, San Francisco became the first city to ban its use, and others may follow suit.11 While some question this decision to ban vice impose a moratorium until the technology produces less errors, the question remains – did the developers and policy makers consider if there would be push back to its introduction given its current performance?Madden Girl Women's Melinda Fashion Boot, Black Fabric, Size 7.5 Dix0Blowfish Women's Breaks Ankle Bootie Grey Fawn Polyurethane 7 M US What sources did they consult?
Another challenge is language. You’ve seen the commercials – “there is much we can do with AI” – in farming, business, and even beer making. While “AI” is a clever tag line, it may invoke unnecessary fear and misunderstanding. For example, I believe for most people equate “robotics” and “AI” with the “Terminator” franchise, raising the fear of uncontrolled autonomous military force overwhelming humanity. Even worse – under the moniker of “AI,” we will buy into “snake-oil” propositions.
We are at least decades away from “general AI” where a “system exhibits apparently intelligence behavior at least as advanced as a person” across the “full range of cognitive tasks,” but we continue to flaunt the use of “AI” without elaboration.Betsey Johnson Women's Jax Ankle Bootie, Black Velvet, Size 6.0 nqZcRalph Lauren Denim & Supply Womens Tabbi Dark Brown Mid Calf Boot Shoe Ret $129
SOME ACTIONS TO TAKE
Embrace a learning organization. Popularized by Peter Senge’s The Fifth Discipline: The Art and Practice of the Learning Organization (1990), a learning organization is a place “where people continually expand their capacity to create the results they truly desire, where new and expansive patterns of thinking are nurtured, where collective aspiration is set free, and where people are continually learning how to learn together.”Tamaris 1-23728-21 Women Black Lepta Low Shoes While some question whether we can truly make a learning organization, Senge’s thinking may help solve our problem of identifying 2nd/3rd order and evil effects.
First, we must embrace new and expansive patterns of thinking. Force developers use the acronym – “DOTMPLF-P” as shorthand for Doctrine, Organization, Training, Materiel, Personnel, Leadership, Facilities, and Policy implications – yet other factors might be as important.
For example, trust in automated or robotics systems must be instilled and measured. In one poll, 73% of respondents noted they would be afraid of riding in a fully autonomous vehicle – up 10% points from the previous year.14 What if we develop a military autonomous vehicle or a leader-follower system and one or more of our host nation allies prohibits its use? What happens if an accident occurs and the host population protests, LL Bean Boots Womens Size 8 - Tan with Blue - NEWJBU by Jambu Pullman Womens Brown Faux Fur Cold Weather Boots size 6.5arguing that the Americans don’t care for their safety?
Technologists and concept developers must move from being stove-piped in labs and single-focused to consider the broader view of technological implications across functions.
Embrace Humility. Given that we cannot predict the future and its potential consequences, developers must seek out diversified opinions, and more importantly, recognize divergent opinions.
Embrace the Data. In New York City during World War II, a small organization of some of the most brilliant minds in America worked in the office of the “Applied Mathematics Panel.” In Europe, the 8th U.S. Air Force suffered from devastating bomber losses. Jambu Women's JBU Blakely Vegan Slip OnReport 'Alfonso' Black Leather Knee High Equestrian Style Boot Women Size 8 MLeaders wondered where best to reinforce the bombers with additional armor without significantly increasing their weight to improve survivability. Reports indicated returning bombers suffered gunfire hits over the wings and fuselage, but not in the tail or cockpits, so to the casual observer it made sense to reinforce the wings and fuselage where the damage was clearly visible.
Abraham Wald, a mathematician, worked on the problem. He noted that reinforcing the spots where damage was evident in returning aircraft wasn’t necessarily the best course of action, given that hits to the cockpit and tail were probably causing aircraft (and aircrew) losses during the mission. In a series of memorandums, he developed a “method of estimating plane vulnerability based on damage of survivors.” As Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s Sherlock Holmes noted more than 100 years ago, “It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”Lucky Brand Women's WESSON2 Ankle Boot BLACK SUEDEVINCE CAMUTO BASIRA Tall Black LEATHER Side Zip BUCKLE RIDING BOOTS Size 8.5
Additionally, we need to reinforce our practice of performing quality literature reviews to aid in our identification of these issues.
Employ Skepticism and a Devil’s Advocate Approach. In 1587, the Roman Catholic Church created the position of Promoter of the Faith – commonly referred to as the Devil’s Advocate. To insure a candidate for sainthood met the qualification of being canonized, the role of the Devil’s Advocate was to be the skeptic (loyal to the institution), looking for reasons why not to canonize the individual. Similarly, Leaders must embrace the concept of employing a devil’s advocate approach to identifying 2nd/3rd order and evil effects of technology – if not designating a devil’s advocate with the right expertise to identify assumptions, risks, and effects. But creating any devil’s advocate or “risk identification” positions is only useful if their input is seriously considered.
Embrace the Suck. Lastly, if we are serious in identifying the 2nd/3rd order and evil effects, Ladies Maroon Leather Justin Roper Western Boots Sz: 8.5 A NARROW (AF)Womens Fur Lining Winter Mid Calf Boots Wedge Heel Leather Snow Shoes outdoor @to include identifying new dependencies, ethical issues, or other issues which challenge the adaption or development of a new technology or policy – then we must be honest, resilient, and tough. There will be setbacks, delays, and frustration.
Technology holds the power to improve and change our personal and professional lives. For the military, technology changes the ways wars are fought (i.e., the character of war), but it may also change the nature of war by potentially reducing the “human dimension” in war. If robotics, AI, and other technological developments eliminate “danger, physical exertion, intelligence and friction,”17 is war easier to wage? Will technology increase its potential frequency? Will technology create a further separation between the military and the population by decreasing the number of personnel needed? These may be some of the 2nd/3rd order and “evil” effects we need to consider.
If you enjoyed this post, please see Dr. Marsella’s previous post “Second/Third Order, and Evil Effects” – The Dark Side of Technology (Fashion Women Platform Buckle Strap Block Heels Ankle Boots Punk Winter Shoes)
– Womens High Stilettos Heels Over Knee High Thigh Boots Nightclub Suede Shoes SZ, by Dr. Nir Buras