- Skechers USA Mens Montz Devent Slip-On Loafer (- Select SZ/Color.
- Adidas Mens Top Ten Hi Shoes Red/White F37589
- Osborn Handcrafted Women's Sz 6 Floral Cotton/Velvet Ankle Boots Leather Soles
- Aerosoles Women's Teleport Shootie Black Suede Size 7.5 Retail $99
- Rampage Size 6 M Pammy Black Knee High Boots New Womens Shoes NWOB
- Lauren Ralph Lauren Makenzie Boot- Women's Size 6.5 B, Black
- Frye Boot Engineer 8R - EUC SZ 6
- N.HOOLYWOOD Men's Shoes 203835 Beige 7 1/2
- TOD'S MEN'S LEATHER LOAFERS MOCCASINS NEW BLACK 83B
- VT1157 Vass Budapest Boots - Black Calf - US 11 - K Last
- Men's Roman Sandals Leather Summer Slip On Casual Beach Shoes Flats Open toe hot
- NEW G.I.L.I. Scalloped Leather Ballet Flats - Izzy SIZE 10 M BLACK
- Asics Gel Saga size 8.5 glow in the dark stars
- Converse All Star Low OX White Blue 137859F Size 11.5
- DAKOTA Men's 8'' 877 STEEL TOE STEEL PLATE WORK BOOT Black Size 9.5M
- British Mens Chelsea Retro Round Toe Ankle Boots Oxford Punk Motor Riding Shoes
- Georgia Mens Gb0011513w DarkBrown Work & Safety Boots Size 13 (E, W) (344293)
- Fashion Punk Mens Pointy Toe Zip up Clubwear Buckle Party Chain Rivet Ankle Boot
- Vintage Dark Brown Leather CIRCLE A ACME Western Cowboy Boots US Sz 9B
- Dan Post 2112 Milwaukee R Toe Black Cherry Cowboy Western 13" Boots Men's US 9D
- Mens sz 9.5 M Caterpillar CAT Work Shoes Electric Oxford Brown Leather Steel Toe
- SENSITIVE FEET! FINN COMFORT MENS 9 - 91/2 US (42 EU), premium Leather, S-M-07
- Mens adidas Sneakers Neo Easy Vulc VS Army Camouflage Shoes - Green Black
- Christian Louboutin Very Prive 120 Kid Platforms Size US 7.5 Regular (M, B)
- Christian Louboutin Black Follies Cabo Studded Spike 100 Leather Gold 37 Pumps Size US 7
- Christian Louboutin Black Leather Conquilla 120 Pumps Size US 9 Regular (M, B)
- Nike Men's Lebron X NSW Lifestyle Shoes Dark Green,Dark Brown 604826-300**
- Jordan Brand Nike Zoom sneakers Size 10.5
- 1711 ADIDAS ORIGINALS SUPERSTAR BY9750 METAL TOE ROSE WOMEN'S SNEAKERS shose 8.5
- Nike Revolution 3 Running Shoes Cool Grey Hyper Orange Women Sz 8 W 4730
- Womens New Balance Fresh Foam Running Shoes Gray White Gold Size 9.5
- Ariat 4LR FatBaby
- NIKE SB STEFAN JANOSKI MAX SZ 10.5 BLACK DEEP NIGHT WHITE 631303 015
- NikeLab Free RN Motion Flyknit Men's Running Shoe 847659-001 Size ~ 10
- New Furry Warm Lamb Fur Lined Women's Cuffed Knee High Snow Boot Winter Buckle
- Women's New Leather Crocodile Design Western Cowgirl Biker Boots Square Green
- Manolo Blahnik Size 35.5 Ladies Brown Suede Boots
- Fashion Womens Rhinestone Flat Shoes Comfort Pull On Loafers Pregnant Sbox14
- OLUKAI SAMPLE 20174 WOMEN'S NOHEA NUBUCK LEATHER SLIP ON SHOES SLIDES US 7
- Skechers Modern Comfort Womens Earth Fest-Outside Mary Jane Flat
- Ladies Padders Dual Fitting Casual Shoes - Kira
- Miu Miu Jewel-Heel Patent Bow Flat sz 36
- RYKA Women's Enhance 3 Cross-Trainer Shoe - Choose SZ/Color
- Asics womens gel nimbus 19 running shoes flash coral dark purple white size 10
- Gentleman/Lady Drew Women's Amora Shoes Brown Nubuck Ideal gift for all occasions The latest technology Selling new products
- Jambo Scarlett-Too Womens Sport Comfort Gray Leather Wedge Maryjane Shoes Sz 8.5
- HUSH PUPPIES HYTEST MONK STRAP 37015 4" Stl Toe 7.5M Blk Leather Work Shoe (H4C)
- Wesco Custom Boss Boots Size 8C 040618 (89051
- Men's Casual Shoes Driving Loafers 2266 Black and White
- Men's Athletic Trainers Outdoor Sports Shoes Casual Breathable Sneakers Sbox
- Cole Haan Howland Penny Loafers Mens Size 11.5M Saddle Tan Brown Driving Shoes
- Mens T Show Embroidered Foral Slip On Driving Loafers Clubwear Singer Shoes 2018
- Bella Marie Womens Bradee-07 Ankle Booties Black Vegan Suede Basel Ankle Boots
- Fashion Womens High Block Heels Fur Trim Ankle Boots Faux Suede Shoes Plus Size
- BNWT ZARA MID HEEL LEATHER COWBOY ANKLE BOOTS HEEL US 7
- Rampage Size 5.5 M Benedetto Black Knee High Boots New Womens Shoes NWOB
- BRAND NEW Cosmopolitan Black Leather Fringe Knee High Heel Boots Size 9M 023-704
- men loafer moccasins soft loafer slipper driving suede leisure shoes moccasins
- CRIME LONDON men's shoe multicoloured leather/suede mod ESCAPE 11400KS1.83
- ASICS Tiger GEL-Kayano Trainer Shoes Mens Size 10 HL7C1 Camo Camouflage Running
- New Fashion Mens Summer Sandals Flats Leather Casual Sandals Beach Shoes Sandals
- Avec Les Filles Georgie Espadrille Gladiator Flats 488, Avec Pink, 8 US
- ADIDAS X 15.3 BOOST INDOOR Soccer Shoes B32972 Solar Yellow / Black MEN 10.5
- Diadora BE2 Sneakers Mens 9 Gray/Blue - NEW
- US Army Surplus Desert ACU Military Leather Canvas Jungle Panama Combat GI Boots
- Lands' End Winter Boots 13D Green Suede Rubber Waterproof Insulated Snow Boot
- CALTO G61302 - 4.4 Inches Elevator Height Increase Dark Brown Slip-On Boots
- Clarks Bushacre 2 Chukka Men's Brown Leather Boot's 10M
- Christian Louboutin Yellow Red Green Pigalle Follies 100 Marble Apt Multicolor Patent Leather Pumps Size US 7
- Christian Louboutin Black Folliescabo Gold Stud Leather Stiletto Pumps Size EU 39.5 (Approx. US 9.5) Regular (M, B)
- Nautica Black Lovise Mid-calf Rainboots Black/Navy / 40 Eu Display Boots/Booties Size US 9 Regular (M, B)
- KD VII EXT QS Longhorn State Size 9.5 Ponyhair
- Nike Air Jordan Retro 11 Space Jam 2016 Size 6y Black Concord 378037 003
- Nike Footscape Chukka woven HTM sample unreleased size 9 2007 RARE 1/1 Fragment
- Winter Mens Casual High Top Warm Snow fur Ankle Boots work Sneakers hiking Shoes
- Mr/Ms Kodiak Men's Brown Work Boot 8M flagship store Online Very good color
- Polo Ralph Lauren Leather Tassel Dress Loafers Shoes Men's Size 8.5 D Moc Toe
- Wolverine Men's Hume Brown Steel Toe Slip On Leather Work Oxford Shoe
- 364242 03 / PUMA WOMEN Platform Mid Black
- New! Women's Nike 880844-800 Free Run Flyknit 2017 Running Shoe - Mango/Pink R63
- Under Armour Women's Kick Sprint Track Spikes Sz 8 NEW 1297114-100 Black/White
- Women Rhinestones Beads Metallic Floral Ankle Boots Zipper Leather Casual Shoes
- Nike Air Max Tavas Men's Running Shoes Black White 705149-009
- MEN NIKE LEBRON SOLDIER IX FLYESE, PURPLE, BLUE 9.5 846246 506 NEW
- Not Rated Women's Totoro Slouch Boot, Navy, 9.5 M US
- Anthropologie Shoes PLOMO CELIA FRINGE BOOTIES $319 Tan Suede 70s Boho Heels 7.5
- Gentleman/Lady Frye Women's Melanie Slip-Ons - 71146-WHT Every item described is available New in stock Don't worry when shopping
- Womens Pull On Slippers Hollow Out Round Toe Flats Comforts Casual Shoes Sport
- Comfortiva Womens grace Closed Toe Slide Flats, Silver, Size 7.0 Dw1U
- Lacoste Womens Shoes Marice Slip On Sneaker White Black Casual Sneaker NEW
- Bernie Mev Women's Lulia Wedge Pump Sandal, Bronze or Black, Size 38-39 EU
[Editor’s Note: In Part I of this series, Dr. Nick Marsella addressed the duty we have to examine our assumptions about emergent warfighting technologies / capabilities and their associated implications to identify potential second / third order and “evil” effects. x Camel Brown Floral Embroidered Booties Ankle Shoes Suede Low Heels Boots WomenWomen’s mini classic short with crystal button Purple Australian Sheepskin US 5 In today’s post, he prescribes five actions we can embrace both individually and as organizations to avoid confirmation bias and falling into cognitive thinking traps when confronting the ramifications of emergent technologies — Enjoy!]
In part I of my blog post, I advised those advocating for the development and/or fielding of technology to be mindful of the second/third order and possible “evil” effects. I defined “evil” as an unexpected and profound negative implication(s) of the adoption/adaption of a technology and related policy. I also recommended heeding the admonition of Tim Cook, Apple’s CEO, to take responsibility for our technological creations and have the courage to think things through their potential implications – both for the good and the bad.
But even if we as individuals are willing to challenge our assumptions and think broadly and imaginatively, we can still come up short. Why? The answer is due in part to the challenges of prediction and the fact we are human with both great cognitive abilities, but also weaknesses.
First, common sense and many theorists remind us that the future is unknowable.Sexy Chunky 4" Heel Red Platform Knee High Costume Gogo Boots EXO2000/RNaturalizer Women's Ruched 'Cycle' Bootie Black GG8 Size 6W $118.95The futurist Arthur C. Clark noted in 1962, “It is impossible to predict the future, and all attempts to do in any detail appear ludicrous within a very few years.” Within this fixed condition of unknowing, the U.S. Departments of Defense and the Army must make choices to determine:
– what capabilities we desire and its related technology;
– where to invest in research and development; and
As Michael E. Raynor pointed out in his book, Women's Steve Madden Rackey Cognac Knee High Boots Shoes Size 7.5 M, making choices and developing strategies, which include adopting new technology, where the future is unknowable and “deeply unpredictable” either produces monumental successes or monumental failures.Pleaser ADORE-1008SQ Women's Sexy Purple Sequins Platform Peep Toe Ankle BootsGUESS by Marciano Punk Womens Brown Leather Western Cowboy Size 5.5 For a company this can spell financial ruin, while for the Army, it can spell disaster and the loss of Soldiers’ lives and national treasure. Yet, we must also choose a “way ahead” – often by considering “boundaries” – in a sense the left and right limits – of potential implications.
Second, our ability to predict when technology will become available is often in error nor can we accurately determine its implications. For example, in a New York Times editorial on December 8, 1903, it noted: “A man carrying airplane will eventually be built, Bearpaw KNIT TALL Boots 14" Sweater Gray AUTHENTIC 658 Sheepskin Womens Size NEWNew Lucky Brand Womens Fashion Boots Size 9.5 (19665)but only if mathematicians and engineers work steadily for the next ten million years.”5 The Wright Brothers first flight took place the following week, but it took decades for commercial and military aviation to evolve.
Each of the services has faced force modernization challenges due to the adoption of technologies that weren’t mature enough; whose capabilities were over-promised; or did not support operations in the envisioned Operational Environment. For the U.S. Army, Future Combat Systems (FCS) was the most obvious and recent example of this challenge – costing billions of dollars and, just as importantly, lost time and confidence.ARIAT 15729 Women's Size 6B Distressed Brown Leather Western Cowboy Boots C028LFL by Lust for Life Womens lex Fabric Almond Toe Over, Blush Velvet, Size 8.0 l
Third, in terms of future technology, predictions vary widely. For example, predictions by MIT’s Rodney Brooks and futurist/inventor Ray Kurzweil vary widely to the question – “What year do you think human-level Artificial Intelligence [AI, i.e., a true thinking machine] might be achieved with a 50% probability?” Kurzweil predicts AI (as defined) will be available in 2029, while Brooks is a bit more conservative – the year 2200 – a difference of over 170 years.NIB Women's Reef Bella Costas Reef Autumn Star Boots Size 7 1/2 Black SuedeNew Womens Embroidery Pointy Toe Block High Heels Side Zipper Ankle Boots shoes
While one can understand the difficulty of predicting when “general AI” will be available, other technologies offer similar difficulties. The vision of the “self-driving” autonomous vehicle was first written about and experimented with in the 1920s, yet technological limitations, legal concerns, customer fears, and other barriers make implementing this capability challenging.
Lastly, as Rodney Brooks has highlighted, Carlos By Carlos Santana Vivien Embroidered Western Booties- Bourbon- Size 7.5 maintains:
“we tend to overestimate the effect of a technology in the short run and underestimate the effect in the long run.”New Women Warm snow shoes furry sweet ankle boots high Chunky heel Leather SHoes
SECOND, THIRD ORDER AND EVIL EFFECTS
– intentionally focus on the positive effects of adopting a technology;
– ignore the experts and those who identify the potential downside of technology; and
– fail to think thorough the short, long, and potentially dangerous effects or dependencies – imaginatively.
We do this because we are human, and more often because we fall into the confirmation bias or other cognitive thinking traps that might affect our program or pet technology. As noted by RAND in Truth Decay:White Mountain Womens Shira Black Fashion Booties Shoes 9 Medium (B,M) BHFO 7497Ariat Womens Boots Western cowgirl black green embroidered size 7
“Cognitive biases and the ways in which human beings process information and make decisions cause people to look for information, opinion, and analyses that confirm preexisting beliefs, to weigh experience more heavily than data and facts, and then to rely on mental shortcuts and the beliefs of those in the same social networks when forming opinions and making decisions.”9
Yet, the warning signs or signals for many unanticipated effects can be found simply by conducting a literature review of government, think tank, academic, and popular reports (to perhaps include science fiction). This may deter some, given the sheer volume of literature is often overwhelming, but contained within these reports are many of the challenges associated with future technology, such as: the potential for deep fakes, loss of privacy, hacking,New Ariat Womens Driftwood Cowboy, Western Boots Size 5.5Corso Como Women's Amber Ankle Bootie, Black Suede, 10 M US accidents, deception, and loss of industries/jobs.
At the national level, both the current and previous administrations published reports on AI, as has the Department of Defense – some more balanced in addressing of issues of fairness, safety, governance, and ethics.10
For example, using photo recognition to help law enforcement and others seems like a great idea, yet its use is increasingly being questioned. This past May, San Francisco became the first city to ban its use, and others may follow suit.11 While some question this decision to ban vice impose a moratorium until the technology produces less errors, the question remains – did the developers and policy makers consider if there would be push back to its introduction given its current performance?Women's Vera Wang Simply Vera Stretch Platform Wedge Ankle BootiesMen's/Women's Michael Antonio Women's Marsh Western Boot Diverse new design new Comfortable and natural What sources did they consult?
Another challenge is language. You’ve seen the commercials – “there is much we can do with AI” – in farming, business, and even beer making. While “AI” is a clever tag line, it may invoke unnecessary fear and misunderstanding. For example, I believe for most people equate “robotics” and “AI” with the “Terminator” franchise, raising the fear of uncontrolled autonomous military force overwhelming humanity. Even worse – under the moniker of “AI,” we will buy into “snake-oil” propositions.
We are at least decades away from “general AI” where a “system exhibits apparently intelligence behavior at least as advanced as a person” across the “full range of cognitive tasks,” but we continue to flaunt the use of “AI” without elaboration.Very Volatile Women's Cassandra Ankle Bootie - Choose SZ/ColorMan/Woman Lucky Brand Womens Eaden Excellent value Primary quality Famous store
SOME ACTIONS TO TAKE
Embrace a learning organization. Popularized by Peter Senge’s The Fifth Discipline: The Art and Practice of the Learning Organization (1990), a learning organization is a place “where people continually expand their capacity to create the results they truly desire, where new and expansive patterns of thinking are nurtured, where collective aspiration is set free, and where people are continually learning how to learn together.”Gentlemen/Ladies Lucky Brand Women's WHITNEIGH Heeled Sandal Easy to use Strong value a wide variety of goods While some question whether we can truly make a learning organization, Senge’s thinking may help solve our problem of identifying 2nd/3rd order and evil effects.
First, we must embrace new and expansive patterns of thinking. Force developers use the acronym – “DOTMPLF-P” as shorthand for Doctrine, Organization, Training, Materiel, Personnel, Leadership, Facilities, and Policy implications – yet other factors might be as important.
For example, trust in automated or robotics systems must be instilled and measured. In one poll, 73% of respondents noted they would be afraid of riding in a fully autonomous vehicle – up 10% points from the previous year.14 What if we develop a military autonomous vehicle or a leader-follower system and one or more of our host nation allies prohibits its use? What happens if an accident occurs and the host population protests, Women's Rockport Shoes Brown Leather Ankle Boots Size 8.5 M NEW!Sexy Women's Slip On High Heels Nightclub 3colors Shoes US4.5-8 Plus Size New*arguing that the Americans don’t care for their safety?
Technologists and concept developers must move from being stove-piped in labs and single-focused to consider the broader view of technological implications across functions.
Embrace Humility. Given that we cannot predict the future and its potential consequences, developers must seek out diversified opinions, and more importantly, recognize divergent opinions.
Embrace the Data. In New York City during World War II, a small organization of some of the most brilliant minds in America worked in the office of the “Applied Mathematics Panel.” In Europe, the 8th U.S. Air Force suffered from devastating bomber losses. LEGACYY Women's Black Leather Zip Buckle Strap Pointy Stiletto Boots Brazil 7 BTwisted Lisa 82 Heeled Fashion Bootie Womens Size 8 BrownLeaders wondered where best to reinforce the bombers with additional armor without significantly increasing their weight to improve survivability. Reports indicated returning bombers suffered gunfire hits over the wings and fuselage, but not in the tail or cockpits, so to the casual observer it made sense to reinforce the wings and fuselage where the damage was clearly visible.
Abraham Wald, a mathematician, worked on the problem. He noted that reinforcing the spots where damage was evident in returning aircraft wasn’t necessarily the best course of action, given that hits to the cockpit and tail were probably causing aircraft (and aircrew) losses during the mission. In a series of memorandums, he developed a “method of estimating plane vulnerability based on damage of survivors.” As Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s Sherlock Holmes noted more than 100 years ago, “It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”Women Stylish Rivet High Heels Stiletto Ankle Boots Pointed Toe Patent LeatherFashion Women's Patent Leather Ankle Boot Punk Chunky Heel Pull On Party Shoes
Additionally, we need to reinforce our practice of performing quality literature reviews to aid in our identification of these issues.
Employ Skepticism and a Devil’s Advocate Approach. In 1587, the Roman Catholic Church created the position of Promoter of the Faith – commonly referred to as the Devil’s Advocate. To insure a candidate for sainthood met the qualification of being canonized, the role of the Devil’s Advocate was to be the skeptic (loyal to the institution), looking for reasons why not to canonize the individual. Similarly, Leaders must embrace the concept of employing a devil’s advocate approach to identifying 2nd/3rd order and evil effects of technology – if not designating a devil’s advocate with the right expertise to identify assumptions, risks, and effects. But creating any devil’s advocate or “risk identification” positions is only useful if their input is seriously considered.
Embrace the Suck. Lastly, if we are serious in identifying the 2nd/3rd order and evil effects, Naturalizer Womens Zeline Booties Taupe 6M New With Box TFIHot Sale Cut Out Womens Black Wedge Heel Peep Toe Knee High Boots Sandals Summerto include identifying new dependencies, ethical issues, or other issues which challenge the adaption or development of a new technology or policy – then we must be honest, resilient, and tough. There will be setbacks, delays, and frustration.
Technology holds the power to improve and change our personal and professional lives. For the military, technology changes the ways wars are fought (i.e., the character of war), but it may also change the nature of war by potentially reducing the “human dimension” in war. If robotics, AI, and other technological developments eliminate “danger, physical exertion, intelligence and friction,”17 is war easier to wage? Will technology increase its potential frequency? Will technology create a further separation between the military and the population by decreasing the number of personnel needed? These may be some of the 2nd/3rd order and “evil” effects we need to consider.
If you enjoyed this post, please see Dr. Marsella’s previous post “Second/Third Order, and Evil Effects” – The Dark Side of Technology (Women's Faux Suede Wedge Heel Round Toe Flower Chic Sweet Over TheThigh Boots Sz)
– Women's Chunky High Heel Round Toe Side Zip Mid Calf Boots Casual Fashion Shoes, by Dr. Nir Buras