- Men's Polo Ralph Lauren Casual color Waterberry Suede Dark TAN Shoes Size 8.5
- Allen Edmonds Glasgow Brown Leather Penny Loafers, Men's Sz 8 1/2B.
- Cole Haan Mens Suede Slip On Brown Shoes Size 8.5 M
- NEW Adidas Originals Stan Smith Dark Blue Croc Leather Men Shoes Trainers AQ2730
- Womens Slouchy Riding Boots Flat Faux Suede Camel Brown Sz 7
- Ralph Lauren Jenessa Leather Riding Boots Women Size 7 B Light Brown Zipper
- Rampage Intense Synthetic Knee High Boot size 7.5
- Ladies Clarks Zip Fastening Leather Ankle Boots Money Whistle
- Frye Western Cowboy Boots Women's Nubuck EMBROIDERED Cream Leather Size 7.5
- New Puma 306243 01 Future Cat Ultra Mercedes Beige Men's Casual Shoes 10.5 US
- Gentlemen/Ladies Drew Shoe Men's Tracker Therapeutic Oxford Cheap Wholesale trade King of the crowd
- SPEEDO - SCARPA DA SCOGLI - 05-670-8923 - ZANPA - PURPLE
- Adidas Adissage SC Sandal Royal Blue/White / B40798
- Man/Woman Emmie Bourbon Lucky Brand wholesale Good market wonderful
- Spring New Men's Sports Shoes Mesh Casual Shoes Youth Korean Men's Shoes Y528
- AND 1 TC TRAINER 2 STRETCH LIMO/BIKING RED D315MBRB TRAINING MEN SHOES B
- Red Bones Black Leather Work Boots Men's Size 12 M
- Mens Slip On Genuine Leather Ankle Boots Pointed Toe Cuban Heel Shoes 9 10 10.5
- Kamik Mens Coldcreek Snow Winter Waterproof Boot Camo Size 9
- JUSTIN Marble Brown Leather Cowboy Boots Mens Size 9.5 D Style 1561
- BOTA VAQUERAS EXOTICA PIEL AVESTRUZ MANTEQUILLA HORMA 44OVAL ID 5026 SIZE 6.5
- Skechers Relaxed Fit Rovato Texon Men's Casual Oxford Shoes Memory Foam Sneakers
- Isabel Marant Ecru/Off White Lenny Leather Snake Grommet Buckles Sandals 9 Flats Size EU 39 (Approx. US 9) Regular (M, B)
- Christian Louboutin Nude Marlenalta 150 Nappa Platforms Size EU 37.5 (Approx. US 7.5) Regular (M, B)
- Mens Spike Rivet Dress Slip Club New Punk Evening British Loafers Shoes
- Laredo Men's Work 12" Distressed
- PUMA BASKET Cœur oceanaire Baskets pour femmes F02
- Christian Louboutin Pigalle Follies Pumps Size US 9 Regular (M, B)
- new Nike Men Air Force 1 Grey-White-Boot 315122-050 Size 9.5
- Men Nike Air Sequent 2 Running/Athletic Shoes University Red/Black 852461-600
- Adidas NMD Runner R1 Kanye West Exclusive Legion Ink CQ0859
- Nike Women's Lunar Sculpt Training Shoe
- Zhou8 Womens Over Knee Boots Floral Embroidered Fleece Liner Block Heel Shoes Sz
- Skechers Women's Synergy 2.0-Mirror Image Wide Fas - Choose SZ/color
- Brand new Nike Huarache olive green sail size 11.5
- NIKE AIR JORDAN WESTBROOK 0.2 - BLACK/CAMO - 854563 003 -
- Sam Edelman Women's Elina Boot, Black, Size 6.5 CtBB
- ECCO Women's Shape 75 Slouch Boot Black 39 EU/8-8.5 M US
- Man/Woman born mule Clogs size 7 Various styles Fine art Rich on-time delivery
- Women's Pretty Talbots Green Suede Leather Ballet Flats Shoes Size Sz 11 11B
- New Sam Edelman Women's Freya Leather Ballet
- Aerosoles FUN TIMES Womens Fun Times Slip-on Loafer- Choose SZ/Color.
- WEEJUNS BASS Katherine II BLACK LOAFERS 9W NEW & UNWORN 3401-001
- Marco de Vincenzo Red Laminated Nappa Flat Shoes Size 40 US 10
- Puma Womens Fenty by Rihanna Riri Fenty Trainer Mid Geo 19123101 Shoes
- New Balance Minimus LX Golf Shoes - Womens White/Pink, 6B, New
- PRADA WOMEN'S SHOES HIGH TOP TRAINERS SNEAKERS NEW WHITE DF2
- Twisted X Boots Women's WRS0026 Ruff Stock Cowboy Boot Bomber/Brown Leather
- Kenneth Cole Reaction Shoes Women Slip On Jet Away 9 Med Tassels Silver Comfort
- NIB auth PHILIPP PLEIN mens sneakers trainers SIZE 44.5 EU, 11.5 US, 10.5 UK
- ROCKPORT MEN'S BLACK LEATHER TIE CASUAL OXFORDS SIZE 8 M,D A2120141
- Kenneth Cole Reaction Giles Mens Brown Leather Casual Dress Oxfords Shoes
- Columbia Mens Rush Valley Shoes Boulder, Oyster 7.5 US
- STICO Mens GRAY Non-Slip Safety Chef Kitchen Toe-Cap Shoes EVA KOREA_Ec
- Glitter High Heels Pointed Toe Ankle Boots Womens Shoes Casual Plus Size New
- Skechers Keepsakes-Blvr Grey Mid Calf Slip-on Knit Boots Women's Size 9.5 M
- Minnetonka Womens Lacy Suede Fringe Bootie - Black Size US 9 |
- Dije California Women's Sierra Chestnut Suede Boots 9M
- Nine West Jabali Black Suede Ankle Bootie Size 6.5M E363
- Frye Men's Green Leather Tall Sneaker, 10.5, White
- Valentino Men's Green Camouflage Canvas Desert Boots Size 40/7~RTL$695~NIB
- Puma Mens Leadcat Blue Pool EVA Slide Sandals Sandals 10 Medium (D) BHFO 7452
- Suicoke SS18 OG-044V / KISEE-V Black Nylon Vibram Sole Sandals Slippers Slides
- Teva Mens M Mush II Sandal, Andres Black, 10 M US
- hot Men's Mesh Lightweight Athletic Shoes Casual Sneakers Breathable Running
- Nike Mens Lunarglide 8 Gray Mesh Running Shoes Athletic 6.5 Medium (D) BHFO 3191
- Kodiak Journey Men's Brown/Black Hiker Boot 12M
- Balenciaga Platform Sandal Heels Mules/Slides Size US 9 Regular (M, B)
- Christian Louboutin Beige Otaboo 70 Suede Spike Ankle Heel Boots/Booties Size EU 37 (Approx. US 7) Regular (M, B)
- Giuseppe Zanotti Black "I20108" Swarovski Crystal Vamp Suede Sandals Size EU 40 (Approx. US 10) Regular (M, B)
- SKECHERS MEN WATERPROOF WORK BOOTS SIZE 11 1/2 MEDIUM
- Sanders Leather Cowboy Boots Made in Mexico Size 11-D
- vintage leather officer uniform police army military mens shoes size 10.5 3E
- Ad Tec Men's 10" Real Tree Camo Waterproof 800G Hunting Boot - 9638
- Allen Edmonds Woodstock Brown Leather Braided Bow Kiltie Loafers Men's size 11 D
- Mens white New floral print slip on metal toe decor dress low heel party shoes
- Allen Edmonds San Marco Pebbled Brown Leather Oxfords Men US Size 11 D MN Twins
- adidas Cloudfoam One Thong Women's Black/Aero Blue CG2806
[Editor’s Note: In Part I of this series, Dr. Nick Marsella addressed the duty we have to examine our assumptions about emergent warfighting technologies / capabilities and their associated implications to identify potential second / third order and “evil” effects. Lilly Pulitzer Navy with Diamonds Newport Wedge Sandals Size US 9.5 Regular (M, B)Vionic Tan/Cream Lizbeth Sandals Size US 10 Regular (M, B) In today’s post, he prescribes five actions we can embrace both individually and as organizations to avoid confirmation bias and falling into cognitive thinking traps when confronting the ramifications of emergent technologies — Enjoy!]
In part I of my blog post, I advised those advocating for the development and/or fielding of technology to be mindful of the second/third order and possible “evil” effects. I defined “evil” as an unexpected and profound negative implication(s) of the adoption/adaption of a technology and related policy. I also recommended heeding the admonition of Tim Cook, Apple’s CEO, to take responsibility for our technological creations and have the courage to think things through their potential implications – both for the good and the bad.
But even if we as individuals are willing to challenge our assumptions and think broadly and imaginatively, we can still come up short. Why? The answer is due in part to the challenges of prediction and the fact we are human with both great cognitive abilities, but also weaknesses.
First, common sense and many theorists remind us that the future is unknowable.The North Face Brown Adrianne Boots/Booties Size US 8 Regular (M, B)Taupe Wedges Size US 8.5 Regular (M, B)The futurist Arthur C. Clark noted in 1962, “It is impossible to predict the future, and all attempts to do in any detail appear ludicrous within a very few years.” Within this fixed condition of unknowing, the U.S. Departments of Defense and the Army must make choices to determine:
– what capabilities we desire and its related technology;
– where to invest in research and development; and
As Michael E. Raynor pointed out in his book, Aerosoles Brown Mezzotint Tall Riding Boots/Booties Size US 8, making choices and developing strategies, which include adopting new technology, where the future is unknowable and “deeply unpredictable” either produces monumental successes or monumental failures.Eürosoft by Söfft Black Leather Olatform Heels Pumps Size US 9 Regular (M, B)Sandals Size US 7 Regular (M, B) For a company this can spell financial ruin, while for the Army, it can spell disaster and the loss of Soldiers’ lives and national treasure. Yet, we must also choose a “way ahead” – often by considering “boundaries” – in a sense the left and right limits – of potential implications.
Second, our ability to predict when technology will become available is often in error nor can we accurately determine its implications. For example, in a New York Times editorial on December 8, 1903, it noted: “A man carrying airplane will eventually be built, Elizabeth and James Lizard Embossed Crisscross Eden Sandals Size US 5 Regular (M, B)Sanita Black Lara - Style Number: 452300 Boots/Booties Size US 8 Regular (M, B)but only if mathematicians and engineers work steadily for the next ten million years.”5 The Wright Brothers first flight took place the following week, but it took decades for commercial and military aviation to evolve.
Each of the services has faced force modernization challenges due to the adoption of technologies that weren’t mature enough; whose capabilities were over-promised; or did not support operations in the envisioned Operational Environment. For the U.S. Army, Future Combat Systems (FCS) was the most obvious and recent example of this challenge – costing billions of dollars and, just as importantly, lost time and confidence.Betsey Johnson Beige Blue By Joy Ankle Strap Sparkle 540 Champagne 1 Flats Size US 10 Regular (M, B)Attilio Giusti Leombruni Brown D 558034 Flats Size US 11 Regular (M, B)
Third, in terms of future technology, predictions vary widely. For example, predictions by MIT’s Rodney Brooks and futurist/inventor Ray Kurzweil vary widely to the question – “What year do you think human-level Artificial Intelligence [AI, i.e., a true thinking machine] might be achieved with a 50% probability?” Kurzweil predicts AI (as defined) will be available in 2029, while Brooks is a bit more conservative – the year 2200 – a difference of over 170 years.Sam Edelman Black Suede Lorissa Pumps Size US 7 Regular (M, B)Isola Cognac Gold Carlota Pumps Size US 7 Regular (M, B)
While one can understand the difficulty of predicting when “general AI” will be available, other technologies offer similar difficulties. The vision of the “self-driving” autonomous vehicle was first written about and experimented with in the 1920s, yet technological limitations, legal concerns, customer fears, and other barriers make implementing this capability challenging.
Lastly, as Rodney Brooks has highlighted, Nine West Black Ankle Leather Boots/Booties Size US 6 Regular (M, B) maintains:
“we tend to overestimate the effect of a technology in the short run and underestimate the effect in the long run.”Olive Brown Boots/Booties Size US 9 Regular (M, B)
SECOND, THIRD ORDER AND EVIL EFFECTS
– intentionally focus on the positive effects of adopting a technology;
– ignore the experts and those who identify the potential downside of technology; and
– fail to think thorough the short, long, and potentially dangerous effects or dependencies – imaginatively.
We do this because we are human, and more often because we fall into the confirmation bias or other cognitive thinking traps that might affect our program or pet technology. As noted by RAND in Truth Decay:Sam Edelman Black & Animal Print Leather Sandals Size US 9.5 Regular (M, B)Me Too Black Lavendar 6 Boots/Booties Size US 7.5 Regular (M, B)
“Cognitive biases and the ways in which human beings process information and make decisions cause people to look for information, opinion, and analyses that confirm preexisting beliefs, to weigh experience more heavily than data and facts, and then to rely on mental shortcuts and the beliefs of those in the same social networks when forming opinions and making decisions.”9
Yet, the warning signs or signals for many unanticipated effects can be found simply by conducting a literature review of government, think tank, academic, and popular reports (to perhaps include science fiction). This may deter some, given the sheer volume of literature is often overwhelming, but contained within these reports are many of the challenges associated with future technology, such as: the potential for deep fakes, loss of privacy, hacking,Franco Sarto Black Obelisk Over-the-knee Wedge Boots/Booties Size US 8 Regular (M, B)Juicy Couture Black Boots/Booties Size US 10 Regular (M, B) accidents, deception, and loss of industries/jobs.
At the national level, both the current and previous administrations published reports on AI, as has the Department of Defense – some more balanced in addressing of issues of fairness, safety, governance, and ethics.10
For example, using photo recognition to help law enforcement and others seems like a great idea, yet its use is increasingly being questioned. This past May, San Francisco became the first city to ban its use, and others may follow suit.11 While some question this decision to ban vice impose a moratorium until the technology produces less errors, the question remains – did the developers and policy makers consider if there would be push back to its introduction given its current performance?Ralph Lauren Gold Cream Sandals Size US 11Guess Pink Pumps Size US 9 Regular (M, B) What sources did they consult?
Another challenge is language. You’ve seen the commercials – “there is much we can do with AI” – in farming, business, and even beer making. While “AI” is a clever tag line, it may invoke unnecessary fear and misunderstanding. For example, I believe for most people equate “robotics” and “AI” with the “Terminator” franchise, raising the fear of uncontrolled autonomous military force overwhelming humanity. Even worse – under the moniker of “AI,” we will buy into “snake-oil” propositions.
We are at least decades away from “general AI” where a “system exhibits apparently intelligence behavior at least as advanced as a person” across the “full range of cognitive tasks,” but we continue to flaunt the use of “AI” without elaboration.Badgley Mischka Champagne Formal Shoes Size US 6 Regular (M, B)Sam Edelman Black Azra Boots/Booties Size US 7 Regular (M, B)
SOME ACTIONS TO TAKE
Embrace a learning organization. Popularized by Peter Senge’s The Fifth Discipline: The Art and Practice of the Learning Organization (1990), a learning organization is a place “where people continually expand their capacity to create the results they truly desire, where new and expansive patterns of thinking are nurtured, where collective aspiration is set free, and where people are continually learning how to learn together.”Lucky Brand Brown Boots/Booties Size US 6.5 Regular (M, B) While some question whether we can truly make a learning organization, Senge’s thinking may help solve our problem of identifying 2nd/3rd order and evil effects.
First, we must embrace new and expansive patterns of thinking. Force developers use the acronym – “DOTMPLF-P” as shorthand for Doctrine, Organization, Training, Materiel, Personnel, Leadership, Facilities, and Policy implications – yet other factors might be as important.
For example, trust in automated or robotics systems must be instilled and measured. In one poll, 73% of respondents noted they would be afraid of riding in a fully autonomous vehicle – up 10% points from the previous year.14 What if we develop a military autonomous vehicle or a leader-follower system and one or more of our host nation allies prohibits its use? What happens if an accident occurs and the host population protests, Isola Pink 'delora' Strappy Suede Sandals Size US 8.5 Regular (M, B)Polo Ralph Lauren Tan Snow Boots/Booties Size US 8 Regular (M, B)arguing that the Americans don’t care for their safety?
Technologists and concept developers must move from being stove-piped in labs and single-focused to consider the broader view of technological implications across functions.
Embrace Humility. Given that we cannot predict the future and its potential consequences, developers must seek out diversified opinions, and more importantly, recognize divergent opinions.
Embrace the Data. In New York City during World War II, a small organization of some of the most brilliant minds in America worked in the office of the “Applied Mathematics Panel.” In Europe, the 8th U.S. Air Force suffered from devastating bomber losses. Club Monaco Burgundy Casey Haircalf In Sandals Size US 7 Regular (M, B)Skechers Hot Pink Women's Sneakers Size US 7 Regular (M, B)Leaders wondered where best to reinforce the bombers with additional armor without significantly increasing their weight to improve survivability. Reports indicated returning bombers suffered gunfire hits over the wings and fuselage, but not in the tail or cockpits, so to the casual observer it made sense to reinforce the wings and fuselage where the damage was clearly visible.
Abraham Wald, a mathematician, worked on the problem. He noted that reinforcing the spots where damage was evident in returning aircraft wasn’t necessarily the best course of action, given that hits to the cockpit and tail were probably causing aircraft (and aircrew) losses during the mission. In a series of memorandums, he developed a “method of estimating plane vulnerability based on damage of survivors.” As Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s Sherlock Holmes noted more than 100 years ago, “It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”Escada Iridescent Silver Blue Boots/Booties Size US 6 Regular (M, B)Jessica Simpson Black Fransi Leather Platform Sandals Size US 8 Regular (M, B)
Additionally, we need to reinforce our practice of performing quality literature reviews to aid in our identification of these issues.
Employ Skepticism and a Devil’s Advocate Approach. In 1587, the Roman Catholic Church created the position of Promoter of the Faith – commonly referred to as the Devil’s Advocate. To insure a candidate for sainthood met the qualification of being canonized, the role of the Devil’s Advocate was to be the skeptic (loyal to the institution), looking for reasons why not to canonize the individual. Similarly, Leaders must embrace the concept of employing a devil’s advocate approach to identifying 2nd/3rd order and evil effects of technology – if not designating a devil’s advocate with the right expertise to identify assumptions, risks, and effects. But creating any devil’s advocate or “risk identification” positions is only useful if their input is seriously considered.
Embrace the Suck. Lastly, if we are serious in identifying the 2nd/3rd order and evil effects, Aerosoles :: Yellow Guava Plush Wedges Size US 6Steve Madden Silver Leather Bazooka Wedges Size US 9 Regular (M, B)to include identifying new dependencies, ethical issues, or other issues which challenge the adaption or development of a new technology or policy – then we must be honest, resilient, and tough. There will be setbacks, delays, and frustration.
Technology holds the power to improve and change our personal and professional lives. For the military, technology changes the ways wars are fought (i.e., the character of war), but it may also change the nature of war by potentially reducing the “human dimension” in war. If robotics, AI, and other technological developments eliminate “danger, physical exertion, intelligence and friction,”17 is war easier to wage? Will technology increase its potential frequency? Will technology create a further separation between the military and the population by decreasing the number of personnel needed? These may be some of the 2nd/3rd order and “evil” effects we need to consider.
If you enjoyed this post, please see Dr. Marsella’s previous post “Second/Third Order, and Evil Effects” – The Dark Side of Technology (Betsey Johnson Champagne Pink Sb-veil Formal Shoes Size US 6)
… as well as the following posts:J.Crew Silver Amelia Buckle Flats Size US 10 Regular (M, B)Donald J. Pliner Black Boots/Booties Size US 8 Regular (M, B)
– Cole Haan Purple Men's Boat Flats Size US 11 Regular (M, B), by Dr. Nir Buras