- 7 M | Clarks Women Black Leather Soft Cushion Slip On Wedge Heel Clog Loafer Moc
- Dansko Women's Professional Clog Shoes Black 8.5 9 Women's Size 39 Comfortable
- Nike Bowling Shoes Taiwanese Vintage 27 80's Rare Blue US 9 Fasion from Japan
- Men's/Women's Off-White Low-Cut Sneakers 41Blk Shoes (76745 Exquisite (middle) workmanship a variety of Highly appreciated and widely trusted in and out
- Skechers Brown Leather Casual Bowler Rubber Base Style Sneaker Oxford Mens Sz 12
- Polo Ralph Lauren Men's Faxon Navy Perforated Sneakers Size 9.5
- BRAND NEW Beloved MENS HIGH TOPS SHOES 90's SWOOSH US 8-14 CUSTOM MADE TO ORDER
- NEW WOMENS BIJOU NEW YORK BLACK EVA BUCKLE BOOTS SIZE 8.5 M
- ladies new Brown 1.5" Block Heel Sexy Ankle Sexy Boot Size 8.5
- Aquatherm Santana Fonda Black Suede Wedge Water / Slip resistant Knee-High Boot
- Enzo Angiolini NEW 10.5 M Rachey Brown Suede Slip on Ankle Boots Heels
- Stuart Weitzman 7.5 M Brown Ankle Zip Boots Fur Lined Trimmed 2" Kitten Heel
- Gentlemen/Ladies Polar Force Max Freezer Boots Excellent craft high quality Known for its beautiful quality
- Men’s FTMITM Freeman Plat Zip Jogger, Leather,Forest Green EUR Size 45
- PRADA BROWN LEATHER CASUAL LOAFERS Sz 8M MADE IN ITALY
- Mens PU Leather Flip Flops Beach Holiday Slippers Flats Slip On Sandals Shoes sz
- New Cole Haan Women's Patent/Leather Black/Beige Ballet
- Puma Suede On Suede Men's 9.5 / Women's 11 NEW
- Converse One Star Sean Pablo Size 9
- YJP Men Steel Toe Safety Shoes Work Breathable Casual Hiking Climbing Sneakers
- PRO HOMME PM4020 S3 Taille 4 embout en composite non métallique
- Ad Tec Men's Full Grain Leather 8" Farm Boot - Steel Toe - 1312A
- Smiths Striker Suede Waterproof Men's Size 8,9,9.5,11,12,13 Color Sand Suede
- JOHN VARVATOS Gray Leather Suede Hipster Chukka Ankle Boots Mens SIZE 11.5 M
- Mens NIKE MAGISTA ONDA II FG Football Boots 844411 003 US 11
- MOZO Men's Grind Industrial and Construction Shoe, Black, 9.5 D US
- Christian Louboutin Doracora Black Patent Red Heart Stiletto 36 Pumps Size US 6 Regular (M, B)
- J.Crew Metallic Gold Sandals Size US 8 Regular (M, B)
- Donald J. Pliner S Pumps Size US 6 Regular (M, B)
- Nike Classic Cortez Nylon Men New Shoes White Green Noise Sneakers 807472-103
- Men's/Women's CHAUSSURES PARABOOT(45,5) superior Win the praise of customers Different styles and styles
- Men's/Women's：Puma Basket Heart Patent Wns Pearl Pink Gold Patent Leather Women Shoe 363073-14：Original
- Nike Men's Zoom Without A Doubt Men's Basketball Size 14 US 749432-601
- Team Adidas Women's Size 7 US Shoes Good Year Art White Running Tennis
- Nike Air Huarache Run Leopard Print 725076 200 Women's Size 5.5/Size 6
- PUMA Women's Vikky Fashion Sneaker, Aruba Blue White, 8 M US
- Vogue Womens Occident Mid-Heels Street Napa pattern Knit Pull On Ankle Boots Cz9
- Men's New Authentic Nike LunarEpic Low Flyknit 2 Running Shoes Sizes 9.5-13
- 2015 NIB MENS NIKE NSW SKYSTEPPER SHOES $110 10.5 dusty grey / metallic pewter
- TEVA FOXY WOMEN'S TALL LEATHER BROWN BOOTS Multiple Sizes 1013675 7.5
- Easy Spirit Women's Carilynn Boot, Black/Multi Suede, 6.5 M US
- Bandolino Women's Shoes Black Suede White Stitching Slip On Loafers Size 7 M
- Alegria ALG-112 Slide On Burgandy T-Strap Buckle Mules Women's Euro 38 8 8.5
- G.H. Bass & Co. Women's Libby Weejuns Penny Loafer Caramel Butter Soft Leather
- Gentleman/Lady Jeffrey Campbell White Keith-St Platform Shoes-6.5 Best-selling worldwide Settlement Price business
- Tory Burch Cheri Suede Slingback Flats Size 8
- Tory Burch JESS black leather flat shoe size 9m (taco700
- Nike WMNS Women’s Juvenate Grey Running Shoes trainers 724979 007 size 5-10 NEW
- Nike Womens Nike AIR MAX 2016 Gymnastics Pink Trainers 806772 601 Sz us 5-7
- Sofft Women's Novella Sneaker Mist Grey/White Knit Mesh Sneakers
- NIKE W Nike Air Max 90 Running Ez AO1520-800 VINTAGE CORAL Size 9
- Alegria Keli Limited Edition Tile Me More Black Wide 41 Wide EU/10.5 C/DWide US
- Man/Woman Lacoste 734SPM0047_LIGHT Modern technology Pleasant appearance Popular tide shoes
- BASS Brown Leather Casual Slip on Loafers Boat Shoes Mens US 8 M (Inv G3)
- NEW! DR COMFORT Carter Men's Shoes Diabetic Extra Depth Orthopedic Black Size 11
- Chic Mens Spike Leather Flat Slip On Loafers Punk Rivet Creeper Sneaker Shoes nw
- NEW Sam Edelman Mens Ethan Slip On Shoes Loafers Brown Suede Size 10 M
- Calza Donna Nero Stance Alana Tomby Lite Puffy Polyester Woman Black
- Sole Society Talisha Womens Olive Boot 8.5M
- Ladies Black Suedette Spot On Tassel Boots UK Sizes 3 - 8 F50491
- Man's/Woman's SIZE 7D LUCCHESE SNAKESKIN WOMEN’S BOOTS Various goods Impeccable Acknowledgement feedback
- Kelsi Dagger Brooklyn Women's Borough Ankle Boot, Black, Size 7.0
- Men's Shoes Lacoste Bayliss 118 Fashion Sneaker 35CAM0126AD6 Tan Off White NEW
- mens slip on sequin blingbling glitters platform nightclub shoes leather loafers
- Men's Shoe Kenneth Cole Stepping Stone Moc Toe Driving Shoe KMS7LE002 Cognac New
- Keen Men's Newport Sandals - Tan - 8.5
[Editor’s Note: In Part I of this series, Dr. Nick Marsella addressed the duty we have to examine our assumptions about emergent warfighting technologies / capabilities and their associated implications to identify potential second / third order and “evil” effects. New Dan Post Womens Dpz479-200 CognacSnipToe Riding Boots Size 6Carlos By Carlos Santana Vivien Embroidered Western Booties- Bourbon- Size 7.5 In today’s post, he prescribes five actions we can embrace both individually and as organizations to avoid confirmation bias and falling into cognitive thinking traps when confronting the ramifications of emergent technologies — Enjoy!]
In part I of my blog post, I advised those advocating for the development and/or fielding of technology to be mindful of the second/third order and possible “evil” effects. I defined “evil” as an unexpected and profound negative implication(s) of the adoption/adaption of a technology and related policy. I also recommended heeding the admonition of Tim Cook, Apple’s CEO, to take responsibility for our technological creations and have the courage to think things through their potential implications – both for the good and the bad.
But even if we as individuals are willing to challenge our assumptions and think broadly and imaginatively, we can still come up short. Why? The answer is due in part to the challenges of prediction and the fact we are human with both great cognitive abilities, but also weaknesses.
First, common sense and many theorists remind us that the future is unknowable.Joules Design Print Women Waterproof Fashion Rain Festival Walking Wellies BootsPLEASER SEDUCE-3024 - 5" Heel - Stretch Thigh Boot - Black - Size 11The futurist Arthur C. Clark noted in 1962, “It is impossible to predict the future, and all attempts to do in any detail appear ludicrous within a very few years.” Within this fixed condition of unknowing, the U.S. Departments of Defense and the Army must make choices to determine:
– what capabilities we desire and its related technology;
– where to invest in research and development; and
As Michael E. Raynor pointed out in his book, TOMMY HILFIGER LADIES HIGH OXFORD 16C BOOTS ,WORN FEW TIMES, making choices and developing strategies, which include adopting new technology, where the future is unknowable and “deeply unpredictable” either produces monumental successes or monumental failures.Jessica Simpson Women's Yeni Ankle Bootie, Black, 8.5 M USHI-TEC OUTLANDER SUEDE HIKING CLIMBING TRAIL BOOTS size 12 BROWN For a company this can spell financial ruin, while for the Army, it can spell disaster and the loss of Soldiers’ lives and national treasure. Yet, we must also choose a “way ahead” – often by considering “boundaries” – in a sense the left and right limits – of potential implications.
Second, our ability to predict when technology will become available is often in error nor can we accurately determine its implications. For example, in a New York Times editorial on December 8, 1903, it noted: “A man carrying airplane will eventually be built, Minnetonka Back Zip Hardsole Boot Brown 282 Women's BootAriat Womens Boots Western cowgirl black green embroidered size 7but only if mathematicians and engineers work steadily for the next ten million years.”5 The Wright Brothers first flight took place the following week, but it took decades for commercial and military aviation to evolve.
Each of the services has faced force modernization challenges due to the adoption of technologies that weren’t mature enough; whose capabilities were over-promised; or did not support operations in the envisioned Operational Environment. For the U.S. Army, Future Combat Systems (FCS) was the most obvious and recent example of this challenge – costing billions of dollars and, just as importantly, lost time and confidence.Valentino Womens Knee High Boots Heels Size 39.5 9.5 Black Suede LL19LLBlowfish Women's Breaks Ankle Bootie Grey Fawn Polyurethane 7 M US
Third, in terms of future technology, predictions vary widely. For example, predictions by MIT’s Rodney Brooks and futurist/inventor Ray Kurzweil vary widely to the question – “What year do you think human-level Artificial Intelligence [AI, i.e., a true thinking machine] might be achieved with a 50% probability?” Kurzweil predicts AI (as defined) will be available in 2029, while Brooks is a bit more conservative – the year 2200 – a difference of over 170 years.Women Autumn Ankle Pointed Toe Zip Crystal Wedges Kid Suede High Heels ShoesAnne Klein Women's Bayrose Ankle Bootie Camel 6.5 M US
While one can understand the difficulty of predicting when “general AI” will be available, other technologies offer similar difficulties. The vision of the “self-driving” autonomous vehicle was first written about and experimented with in the 1920s, yet technological limitations, legal concerns, customer fears, and other barriers make implementing this capability challenging.
Lastly, as Rodney Brooks has highlighted, New Billabong Womens Eccentric Youth Espresso Ankle Boots Size 10 maintains:
“we tend to overestimate the effect of a technology in the short run and underestimate the effect in the long run.”Northside Womens Sun Peak Thinsulate Waterproof Winter Boot Stone Size US 9
SECOND, THIRD ORDER AND EVIL EFFECTS
– intentionally focus on the positive effects of adopting a technology;
– ignore the experts and those who identify the potential downside of technology; and
– fail to think thorough the short, long, and potentially dangerous effects or dependencies – imaginatively.
We do this because we are human, and more often because we fall into the confirmation bias or other cognitive thinking traps that might affect our program or pet technology. As noted by RAND in Truth Decay:Man's/Woman's Melissa Women's Long Rain Boot Consumer first Highly praised and appreciated by the consumer audience fineBlowfish Women's Astra Ankle Bootie - Choose SZ/Color
“Cognitive biases and the ways in which human beings process information and make decisions cause people to look for information, opinion, and analyses that confirm preexisting beliefs, to weigh experience more heavily than data and facts, and then to rely on mental shortcuts and the beliefs of those in the same social networks when forming opinions and making decisions.”9
Yet, the warning signs or signals for many unanticipated effects can be found simply by conducting a literature review of government, think tank, academic, and popular reports (to perhaps include science fiction). This may deter some, given the sheer volume of literature is often overwhelming, but contained within these reports are many of the challenges associated with future technology, such as: the potential for deep fakes, loss of privacy, hacking,Gap Womens Leather Block Heel Tall Boots / Over The Knee Black Ink Size 8.5Gentlemen/Ladies Lucky Brand Women's WHITNEIGH Heeled Sandal Easy to use Strong value a wide variety of goods accidents, deception, and loss of industries/jobs.
At the national level, both the current and previous administrations published reports on AI, as has the Department of Defense – some more balanced in addressing of issues of fairness, safety, governance, and ethics.10
For example, using photo recognition to help law enforcement and others seems like a great idea, yet its use is increasingly being questioned. This past May, San Francisco became the first city to ban its use, and others may follow suit.11 While some question this decision to ban vice impose a moratorium until the technology produces less errors, the question remains – did the developers and policy makers consider if there would be push back to its introduction given its current performance?Madewell J Crew Black Ankle Billie Boot Size 9.5Youth Girls Justin Brown/Pink Western Cowgirl Boots sz: 5.5 (H) What sources did they consult?
Another challenge is language. You’ve seen the commercials – “there is much we can do with AI” – in farming, business, and even beer making. While “AI” is a clever tag line, it may invoke unnecessary fear and misunderstanding. For example, I believe for most people equate “robotics” and “AI” with the “Terminator” franchise, raising the fear of uncontrolled autonomous military force overwhelming humanity. Even worse – under the moniker of “AI,” we will buy into “snake-oil” propositions.
We are at least decades away from “general AI” where a “system exhibits apparently intelligence behavior at least as advanced as a person” across the “full range of cognitive tasks,” but we continue to flaunt the use of “AI” without elaboration.Zigi Girl Black Suede (Harness) Ankle Boots Women's Size 5.5M "GENOVA"Womens Black Stilettos High Heel Knee High Boots Pointed Toe Clubwear Shoes Sexy
SOME ACTIONS TO TAKE
Embrace a learning organization. Popularized by Peter Senge’s The Fifth Discipline: The Art and Practice of the Learning Organization (1990), a learning organization is a place “where people continually expand their capacity to create the results they truly desire, where new and expansive patterns of thinking are nurtured, where collective aspiration is set free, and where people are continually learning how to learn together.”Women's Adams Cowboy/Western Boots Beige Leather Shorties Sz. 4 A Minty! While some question whether we can truly make a learning organization, Senge’s thinking may help solve our problem of identifying 2nd/3rd order and evil effects.
First, we must embrace new and expansive patterns of thinking. Force developers use the acronym – “DOTMPLF-P” as shorthand for Doctrine, Organization, Training, Materiel, Personnel, Leadership, Facilities, and Policy implications – yet other factors might be as important.
For example, trust in automated or robotics systems must be instilled and measured. In one poll, 73% of respondents noted they would be afraid of riding in a fully autonomous vehicle – up 10% points from the previous year.14 What if we develop a military autonomous vehicle or a leader-follower system and one or more of our host nation allies prohibits its use? What happens if an accident occurs and the host population protests, Women Pointy Toe Zip Leather Stilettos Heels Fashion Ankle Boots Sexy OL ShoesSilver Ladies Pointy Toe Stilettos High Heels Knee High Boots Shoes Plus Sizearguing that the Americans don’t care for their safety?
Technologists and concept developers must move from being stove-piped in labs and single-focused to consider the broader view of technological implications across functions.
Embrace Humility. Given that we cannot predict the future and its potential consequences, developers must seek out diversified opinions, and more importantly, recognize divergent opinions.
Embrace the Data. In New York City during World War II, a small organization of some of the most brilliant minds in America worked in the office of the “Applied Mathematics Panel.” In Europe, the 8th U.S. Air Force suffered from devastating bomber losses. Vince Camuto Women's Bezza Leather Heeled Ankle Booties Fallen RockWomen Winter New High-heeled Chunky Pointed Toe Leather Casual Knight BootsLeaders wondered where best to reinforce the bombers with additional armor without significantly increasing their weight to improve survivability. Reports indicated returning bombers suffered gunfire hits over the wings and fuselage, but not in the tail or cockpits, so to the casual observer it made sense to reinforce the wings and fuselage where the damage was clearly visible.
Abraham Wald, a mathematician, worked on the problem. He noted that reinforcing the spots where damage was evident in returning aircraft wasn’t necessarily the best course of action, given that hits to the cockpit and tail were probably causing aircraft (and aircrew) losses during the mission. In a series of memorandums, he developed a “method of estimating plane vulnerability based on damage of survivors.” As Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s Sherlock Holmes noted more than 100 years ago, “It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”Man's/Woman's Corkys Bismark - Brown - Womens excellent quality modern Outstanding styleWomen's Faux Suede Wedge Heel Round Toe Flower Chic Sweet Over TheThigh Boots Sz
Additionally, we need to reinforce our practice of performing quality literature reviews to aid in our identification of these issues.
Employ Skepticism and a Devil’s Advocate Approach. In 1587, the Roman Catholic Church created the position of Promoter of the Faith – commonly referred to as the Devil’s Advocate. To insure a candidate for sainthood met the qualification of being canonized, the role of the Devil’s Advocate was to be the skeptic (loyal to the institution), looking for reasons why not to canonize the individual. Similarly, Leaders must embrace the concept of employing a devil’s advocate approach to identifying 2nd/3rd order and evil effects of technology – if not designating a devil’s advocate with the right expertise to identify assumptions, risks, and effects. But creating any devil’s advocate or “risk identification” positions is only useful if their input is seriously considered.
Embrace the Suck. Lastly, if we are serious in identifying the 2nd/3rd order and evil effects, Punk Women Pointy Toe Stilettos High Heels Ankle Boots Buckle Leather Shoes plusWomens Round Toe Zip Knee High Boots Patent Leather Riding Block Heel Shoes sizeto include identifying new dependencies, ethical issues, or other issues which challenge the adaption or development of a new technology or policy – then we must be honest, resilient, and tough. There will be setbacks, delays, and frustration.
Technology holds the power to improve and change our personal and professional lives. For the military, technology changes the ways wars are fought (i.e., the character of war), but it may also change the nature of war by potentially reducing the “human dimension” in war. If robotics, AI, and other technological developments eliminate “danger, physical exertion, intelligence and friction,”17 is war easier to wage? Will technology increase its potential frequency? Will technology create a further separation between the military and the population by decreasing the number of personnel needed? These may be some of the 2nd/3rd order and “evil” effects we need to consider.
If you enjoyed this post, please see Dr. Marsella’s previous post “Second/Third Order, and Evil Effects” – The Dark Side of Technology (Cole Haan Womens Brown Ankle Boots Size 7.5 (250380))
– Womens pointy toe chunky block heel mid calf boots buckle stran casual shoes new, by Dr. Nir Buras