- New Women's Tall White/Black Rain Bootsi Tootsi Boots Size - 8
- Aldo x Christian Cota Boots Limited Edition, Red Fur Brown Leather
- 2018 New 12cm High heel sexy Cross-tied Pointed Toe Lockable ankle Strap Boots
- Slate Black AS98 Zip-Up Boots with Snap Fold 6.5 37
- Men/Women Stacy Adams Men's Shoes Wear resistant real Extreme speed logistics
- Leater Shoes Cuir in Black For Men size 41-42
- Original Penguin Men's Shoes Birdie Black Leather Mid Boot Boots Size 9 New
- New Men's Genuine Leather Slippers Casual Sandal Flip Flop Shoes Win Sz A165
- NEW WOMENS HUSH PUPPIES ZESTY LEATHER/CASUAL/DRESS/COMFORTABLE SHOES
- ADIDAS SPINNER IV 4 LOW BASEBALL SHOES CLEATS NEW IN BOX MENS
- Piloti Prototipo Driving Shoes Men's size 7
- GBX Vintage Black Size Men’s 9M Buckle Boots Motorcycle Chunky Sole Free Ship
- ALDO Men's (Sz 10.5) Alevia Ankle Boot, Black
- Punk Mens shoes Ankle Boots Retro Suede Low Heel Zip Combat Buckle Round Toe
- RedHead Thermalite Thin Insulation Steel Shank Mens Hunting Duck Boots 11
- Double H Mens Work Western Boots 9 1/2 D Oil Resistant-Brown Style DH1552 13.5"
- Danner Men's Lookout 5.5" Black Full Grain Leather Work Boots
- Clarks Mens Senner Lane Black Leather SLIP ON G
- Christian Louboutin Foresca Boots/Booties Size EU 38 (Approx. US 8) Regular (M, B)
- Mark Nason Los Angeles Men's Wickman Slip On Loafer - Choose SZ/Color
- Gentleman/Lady: Adidas NMD: New Products
- Giuseppe Zanotti Black Snake Ankle Wrap Sandals Size US 8 Regular (M, B)
- Steve Madden Beige Katie Sandals 045 Sand Platforms Size US 9.5 Regular (M, B)
- Nike Men's ZOOM WITNESS LeBron SZ 10.5 Grey/Black Basketball Shoes 852439 011
- Nike Air Max Shoes Men’s Size 11
- NEW Adidas Women’s PureBOOST X TR Zip White/Gold BB3290
- Nike Roshe One Print Womens Style : 599432
- Converse Chuck Taylor All Star 2 II Hi Fatigue Green 153570C Size Womens 6.5
- Propét Womens WBX002S Leather Round Toe Ankle Cold Weather Boots
- Men's Nike Air Max Vision Running Shoes 918230-001
- Nike Paul Rodriguez I Zoom Retro Release 10th Anniversary Ed. Rare Deadstock
- Eric Michael Women's Spokane Grey Boot 40 US Women's 9.5-10 M B
- PLEASER ADORE-1020 ADORE-1020G Exotic Dancing Platform Ankle Boot
- Dexter Shoes Womens US 7 Leather Black Buckle
- Hippie Celebrity Summer Retro 80s Shoes Brogues Fashion Flats US 4-10
- NEW $118 JCrew Gemma Cap-Toe Flats Pale Petal Pink Size 9 ballet shoes G0878
- NEW AGL ATTILIO GIUSTI LEOMBRUNI WOMENS LOAFER
- FANTASTIC TORY BURCH TAN JESSE PERFORATED LEATHER SNEAKER SHOES, SZ 10 NEW
- Men's/Women's chloe ballet flats Crazy price, Birmingham Used in durability Pick up at the boutique
- Men/Women Reebok Women's Plus Runner Woven Sneaker Promotion First quality retail price
- Adidas Womens Superstar CG5463 White Cyber Metallic Leather Shell Shoes Size 9
- Mizuno Wave Sky 2 [J1GD181246] Women Running Shoes Wide Black/Grey-Purple
- Born Womens dewey Leather Closed Toe Oxfords, light gray, Size 9.5 d0TY
- Ariat Women's Cruiser Fringe Western Cowboy Boot
- NEW Mens BORN Bearse Fashion Sneakers w/ Ortholite Khaki Knit Mesh Size 12 D (M)
- Men's Size US 10D Ralph Lauren Polo Brown Leather Shoes Tassles
- ALBERTO GUARDIANI MENS SHOES SIZE. /2
- Rockport Men's Banni Oxford, Brown Leather, 14 M US
- YONGYUE Fishing Shoes Anti-Slip Soles With Nails Spikes US Size 8.5-10.5
- Sbicca Womens Byanca Gray Fringe Ankle Boots Shoes 7 Medium (B,M) BHFO 6598
- WOMEN'S STEVE MADDEN TANNGOO SHOES SZ 5.5M
- BOTTEGA VENETA Women's Black Suede Wedge Pumps
- DOLCE VITA Brown Nubuck Leather Zipper Ankle Booties, 9
- Man/Woman purple sued boots 6.5 Good design Impeccable Elegant and stable packaging
- Gentleman/Lady Stacy Adams Men's Calhoun Oxfords Shoes Diverse new design First grade in its class various kinds
- Nike MEN'S Air Bakin' Posite Black/Anthracite SIZE 10 BRAND NEW
- Christian Louboutin Pik Boat Flat Veau Velours Electric Blue Size 11.5 Brand New
- Gladiator Roma Mens Leather High Top Casual Hollow Sandal Summer Beach Shoes New
- Womens Round Toe Leather Platform Genuine Leather Creeper Platform Casual Shoes
- Men's Athletic Sports Shoes High-top Basketball Running Training Sneakers Black
- Polo Ralph Lauren Men Canvas sneaker shoes size 10.5 new with box
- Base London Valiant Men's Tan Leather Ankle Wingtip Combat Military Boots New
- New Old Stock Knapp Ankle Work Boots USA Made Men's Size 7.5 D Steel Toe
- Dunlop Volley Original Black Classics. Soft Toe. UK Fitting. SUPER GRIP SOLE
- Men's Justin 5131 Antique Brown Smooth Ostrich Tekno Crepe Western Boots Sz 6.5B
- GALLENKAMP Vintage Leather Oxford Shoes Brown SCATS 6D USA Union Made
- NWOB Rockport Suede Oxfords Men’s Size 9 M Casual Shoe Tan Beige
- Punk Mens Low Top Rivet Spike Suede Loafers Slip On Hip Hop Sneaker Shoes 2019
- ECCO Mens Intrinsic TR Midcut Fashion Sneaker Size: 43, 44
- Gentleman/Lady: Nike Reax running shoes: selection material
- Stuart Weitzman Beige Srprimetime Patent Pumps Size US 9 Regular (M, B)
- Christian Louboutin Brown Step N Roll Knee Platform 140 High Heel Lady Daf Red 39 It Fur Suede Boots/Booties Size US 9 Regular (M, B)
- Valentino Black Garavani Leather Bow Over Knee High Tall Pumps Boots/Booties Size US 7.5 Regular (M, B)
- Nike Air Force 180 Barkley Black Sport Royal Blue 310095-011 Men's Size 9.5
- Nike Air D-U-UP 2004 309345-011 Size 9.5 Very Cool
- 2007 Nike Dunk High Brazil Shoes Sneakers '08 Varsity Yellow Green 317982-731 10
- Nike Wmns Air Zoom Vapor X Clay Women Tangerine Tint Anthracite AA8025-801
- 2017 Hot Women's Shoes Synthetic Leather Low Cuban Heel Knee High Boots
- MERRELL WOMEN’S PRIMO CHILL MASSIF NATURAL BOOT, SIZE 7
- Men’s Nike Kobe X Elite USA High 8 America Red Blue $225 MSRP
- NIKE AIR JORDAN 8 AQUA VIII Retro 2015 Size 10.5 (GREAT CONDITION) AUTHENTIC
- Womens Ankle Boots Front Zip Block Round Toe Pure Color Fashion Crystal Heel New
- New Naot Presto Sandals - US Size 6.5* - Black Metal Combo
- Salvatore Ferragamo Fersea US 7 light Brown Leather Knee-High Riding Boots
- Cobb Hill by New Balance Women’s Loafers Red Leather Pleats EUC! Size 9 M
- Colorful Womens Leather Carved Oxfords Loafer Brogue Fringe Wingtip Dress Shoes
- Crocs Women's Sarah Lined Clog Mule, Black, 6 M US
- VERA WANG Womens Purple Leather Ballet Flats Sz 6.5 M
- Mr/Ms Tod's ladies ballerina XXW0NY0C3506W0C211 Economical and practical comfortability Complete specifications
- Nike Women's Air Max 2015 Running Pure Platinum Cool Grey (698903-010) sz 10
- Merrell Siren Edge Womens Shoes Athletic Sneakers Hiking Walking Trainers J35750
- Womens Nike Air Jordan 1 Rebel XX Size 9.5 (AR5599 600) No Box Top
- Man/Woman HERMES Shoes 002334 Black 39 Customer first Orders are welcome high quality product
- SELBY Comfort Flex Women's Shoes USA Leather in Black w/Gold Studs Sz 8 $109.95
- CONVERSE All Star Slip III OX SLIP-ON Men's Shoes Sneakers White US7(25.5cm)
- Hot Fashion Mens Casual Faux Leather Slip On Driving Comfort Flats Shoes Loafers
- Mens 9.5 W Cole Haan N. Air Brown Leather Casual Moc Toe Tassel Loafers C06982
- Caterpillar STREAMLINE CT Mens Red Black Nylon P90287 Work Safety Toe Shoes
- Skechers Mens Relaxed Fit Palen Gadon Shoes Grey - Choose SZ/Color
- NEW Mossimo Style Dani Short Winter Boot SIZE 8 - Natural
- Topshop Suede Snakeskin Print Gold Heel Booties Sz 9
- DOLCE VITA TILDEN Grey Smoke Suede Womens Designer Pull On Ankle Wedge Boot 10 M
- Miista London Brown Suede Leather Ankle Boots Size 36 US 6
- Lucky Brand Urbi Ankle Boots, Women's Size 9 M, Sable
- Mr/Ms Calvin Klein Men's Willy Oxford quality delicate Cheap order
- S-1755248 New Salvatore Ferragamo Giunone 2 Blue Leather Slip On Shoe Size US 10
- men's shoes GUARDIANI 12 () elegant white leather AB769-E
- Men's Scott Hawaii Black Makaha Flip Flops ~ Free Shipping & NWT
- Ralph Lauren shoes women Size 5.5 Lindsay-Sn-Csl Camel Kisuede
- Air Jordan 1 Flight 4 Premium Red/Black 838818-600 Size 10
- $85.00 $85 Supra Cruizer (black / white) New Men Skateboard Fashion sz 4 5 7 12
- Justin Men's Black Leather Boots Shoe Size 8 3040 Black Leather Roper Cowboy Wes
- Fashion men‘s Breathable casual real leather shoes Retro Martin boots
- Vintage Men's Capezio Black Cowboy Western Boots sz: 7.5 D (T)
- Men's Shoes Fashion Breathable Casual Business Leisure Elegant tUSl #M309
- Nunn Bush Men's Hartley Side Gore Chukka Boot - Choose SZ/Color
- Baffin Men's Trapper -60 PLN Waterproof Boot
- Converse X John Varvatos CTAS Vintage Oxford 156709C Size 10.5~13
- Men's/Women's Dunham Men's Windward Slip-OnBrown10.5 4E US Durable service First batch of customers comfortable
- adidas Mens ALPHABOUNCE CR M Raw Gold/Chalk Pearl - DA9935
[Editor’s Note: In Part I of this series, Dr. Nick Marsella addressed the duty we have to examine our assumptions about emergent warfighting technologies / capabilities and their associated implications to identify potential second / third order and “evil” effects. Adidas Performance Women's Alphabounce W Running Shoe - Choose SZ/ColorU.S. Polo Assn. Women's Marisa-HJ Oxford - Choose SZ/Color In today’s post, he prescribes five actions we can embrace both individually and as organizations to avoid confirmation bias and falling into cognitive thinking traps when confronting the ramifications of emergent technologies — Enjoy!]
In part I of my blog post, I advised those advocating for the development and/or fielding of technology to be mindful of the second/third order and possible “evil” effects. I defined “evil” as an unexpected and profound negative implication(s) of the adoption/adaption of a technology and related policy. I also recommended heeding the admonition of Tim Cook, Apple’s CEO, to take responsibility for our technological creations and have the courage to think things through their potential implications – both for the good and the bad.
But even if we as individuals are willing to challenge our assumptions and think broadly and imaginatively, we can still come up short. Why? The answer is due in part to the challenges of prediction and the fact we are human with both great cognitive abilities, but also weaknesses.
First, common sense and many theorists remind us that the future is unknowable.Skechers 14738 Performance Womens Go Step Lite-Streak Walking ShoeSkechers Women's Side Street-Awesome Sauce Sneaker - Choose SZ/ColorThe futurist Arthur C. Clark noted in 1962, “It is impossible to predict the future, and all attempts to do in any detail appear ludicrous within a very few years.” Within this fixed condition of unknowing, the U.S. Departments of Defense and the Army must make choices to determine:
– what capabilities we desire and its related technology;
– where to invest in research and development; and
As Michael E. Raynor pointed out in his book, PUMA Women's Ignite Running Shoe Omphalodes/Hot Coral/Ultramarine 8.5 B US, making choices and developing strategies, which include adopting new technology, where the future is unknowable and “deeply unpredictable” either produces monumental successes or monumental failures.Keds Women's Kickstart Fashion Sneaker White 8 M USU.S. Polo Assn. Women's Yvonne Boot - Choose SZ/Color For a company this can spell financial ruin, while for the Army, it can spell disaster and the loss of Soldiers’ lives and national treasure. Yet, we must also choose a “way ahead” – often by considering “boundaries” – in a sense the left and right limits – of potential implications.
Second, our ability to predict when technology will become available is often in error nor can we accurately determine its implications. For example, in a New York Times editorial on December 8, 1903, it noted: “A man carrying airplane will eventually be built, ASICS Women's Gel Fortius TR 2 Training ShoeU.S. Polo Assn. Women's Jan-K Oxford - Choose SZ/Colorbut only if mathematicians and engineers work steadily for the next ten million years.”5 The Wright Brothers first flight took place the following week, but it took decades for commercial and military aviation to evolve.
Each of the services has faced force modernization challenges due to the adoption of technologies that weren’t mature enough; whose capabilities were over-promised; or did not support operations in the envisioned Operational Environment. For the U.S. Army, Future Combat Systems (FCS) was the most obvious and recent example of this challenge – costing billions of dollars and, just as importantly, lost time and confidence.Rocket Dog CAMPOJA Womens Campo Joshua Fabric Fashion Sneaker- Choose SZ/Color.Skechers Women's Summits Slip on Sneakers Black 6 M
Third, in terms of future technology, predictions vary widely. For example, predictions by MIT’s Rodney Brooks and futurist/inventor Ray Kurzweil vary widely to the question – “What year do you think human-level Artificial Intelligence [AI, i.e., a true thinking machine] might be achieved with a 50% probability?” Kurzweil predicts AI (as defined) will be available in 2029, while Brooks is a bit more conservative – the year 2200 – a difference of over 170 years.Sneakers Femme ETNIES Zanza Black Pink WhiteNIB WOMEN'S NEW BALANCE SNEAKERS WR 996 WA (WHITE) SIZES US 6, 7, 7.5, 8,10 129$
While one can understand the difficulty of predicting when “general AI” will be available, other technologies offer similar difficulties. The vision of the “self-driving” autonomous vehicle was first written about and experimented with in the 1920s, yet technological limitations, legal concerns, customer fears, and other barriers make implementing this capability challenging.
Lastly, as Rodney Brooks has highlighted, Sneakers Femme samples shoes ETNIES NEW MID PLUS WHITE GREEN WOMEN maintains:
“we tend to overestimate the effect of a technology in the short run and underestimate the effect in the long run.”Womens Superga Slide On white Leather Sneakers Size 6.5 37 Euro
SECOND, THIRD ORDER AND EVIL EFFECTS
– intentionally focus on the positive effects of adopting a technology;
– ignore the experts and those who identify the potential downside of technology; and
– fail to think thorough the short, long, and potentially dangerous effects or dependencies – imaginatively.
We do this because we are human, and more often because we fall into the confirmation bias or other cognitive thinking traps that might affect our program or pet technology. As noted by RAND in Truth Decay:Vans SK8 HI CUP CA Leather Henna/Turtledove Women's Shoes 7Adidas Originals X Pharrell Williams Pw Tennis Hu Women Ash Green New Gym DB2557
“Cognitive biases and the ways in which human beings process information and make decisions cause people to look for information, opinion, and analyses that confirm preexisting beliefs, to weigh experience more heavily than data and facts, and then to rely on mental shortcuts and the beliefs of those in the same social networks when forming opinions and making decisions.”9
Yet, the warning signs or signals for many unanticipated effects can be found simply by conducting a literature review of government, think tank, academic, and popular reports (to perhaps include science fiction). This may deter some, given the sheer volume of literature is often overwhelming, but contained within these reports are many of the challenges associated with future technology, such as: the potential for deep fakes, loss of privacy, hacking,Skechers Empire - Round Up Black Silver Womens Running TrainersMen's/Women's NEW SKECHERS WOMENS SYNERGY 2.0 SNEAKER elegant Beautiful appearance Great choice accidents, deception, and loss of industries/jobs.
At the national level, both the current and previous administrations published reports on AI, as has the Department of Defense – some more balanced in addressing of issues of fairness, safety, governance, and ethics.10
For example, using photo recognition to help law enforcement and others seems like a great idea, yet its use is increasingly being questioned. This past May, San Francisco became the first city to ban its use, and others may follow suit.11 While some question this decision to ban vice impose a moratorium until the technology produces less errors, the question remains – did the developers and policy makers consider if there would be push back to its introduction given its current performance?Nike Women’s Flyknit Lunar 3 Blue/Pink 698182-407 Sz 7.5 38.5 EURMan/Woman Calvin Klein Women's Ruthie Fashion Sneaker Charming design Selected materials Diversified new design What sources did they consult?
Another challenge is language. You’ve seen the commercials – “there is much we can do with AI” – in farming, business, and even beer making. While “AI” is a clever tag line, it may invoke unnecessary fear and misunderstanding. For example, I believe for most people equate “robotics” and “AI” with the “Terminator” franchise, raising the fear of uncontrolled autonomous military force overwhelming humanity. Even worse – under the moniker of “AI,” we will buy into “snake-oil” propositions.
We are at least decades away from “general AI” where a “system exhibits apparently intelligence behavior at least as advanced as a person” across the “full range of cognitive tasks,” but we continue to flaunt the use of “AI” without elaboration.Gentleman/Lady Nike Air Rift Liberty QS Promotion First grade in its class Exquisite workmanshipPuma Suede Heart Valentine JR Pearl Pink Kids Youth Junior Shoes 365135-03
SOME ACTIONS TO TAKE
Embrace a learning organization. Popularized by Peter Senge’s The Fifth Discipline: The Art and Practice of the Learning Organization (1990), a learning organization is a place “where people continually expand their capacity to create the results they truly desire, where new and expansive patterns of thinking are nurtured, where collective aspiration is set free, and where people are continually learning how to learn together.”WOMENS REEBOK CL LEATHER SEA-WORN in colors LIGHT PURPLE / WHITE SIZE 9 While some question whether we can truly make a learning organization, Senge’s thinking may help solve our problem of identifying 2nd/3rd order and evil effects.
First, we must embrace new and expansive patterns of thinking. Force developers use the acronym – “DOTMPLF-P” as shorthand for Doctrine, Organization, Training, Materiel, Personnel, Leadership, Facilities, and Policy implications – yet other factors might be as important.
For example, trust in automated or robotics systems must be instilled and measured. In one poll, 73% of respondents noted they would be afraid of riding in a fully autonomous vehicle – up 10% points from the previous year.14 What if we develop a military autonomous vehicle or a leader-follower system and one or more of our host nation allies prohibits its use? What happens if an accident occurs and the host population protests, Wmns Nike Air Max 1 Ultra Flyknit Navy Black Womens Running Shoes 843387-401Asics Gel Kayano 24 Running Shoes, Women's Size 7.5 M, Purplearguing that the Americans don’t care for their safety?
Technologists and concept developers must move from being stove-piped in labs and single-focused to consider the broader view of technological implications across functions.
Embrace Humility. Given that we cannot predict the future and its potential consequences, developers must seek out diversified opinions, and more importantly, recognize divergent opinions.
Embrace the Data. In New York City during World War II, a small organization of some of the most brilliant minds in America worked in the office of the “Applied Mathematics Panel.” In Europe, the 8th U.S. Air Force suffered from devastating bomber losses. Nike ACG Green Gray Hiking Boots Size 7 US Right Trail Hike Outdoor Mountainadidas Originals NMD R1 STLT Primeknit Shoe - Size 9 - CQ2028 Pink Orchid WhiteLeaders wondered where best to reinforce the bombers with additional armor without significantly increasing their weight to improve survivability. Reports indicated returning bombers suffered gunfire hits over the wings and fuselage, but not in the tail or cockpits, so to the casual observer it made sense to reinforce the wings and fuselage where the damage was clearly visible.
Abraham Wald, a mathematician, worked on the problem. He noted that reinforcing the spots where damage was evident in returning aircraft wasn’t necessarily the best course of action, given that hits to the cockpit and tail were probably causing aircraft (and aircrew) losses during the mission. In a series of memorandums, he developed a “method of estimating plane vulnerability based on damage of survivors.” As Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s Sherlock Holmes noted more than 100 years ago, “It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”NIKE Women's Free RN Motion FK 2017 Running Shoe size 9.5Salewa Womens WS Wildfire Vent Breathable Approach Athletic Trail Shoes Size 7
Additionally, we need to reinforce our practice of performing quality literature reviews to aid in our identification of these issues.
Employ Skepticism and a Devil’s Advocate Approach. In 1587, the Roman Catholic Church created the position of Promoter of the Faith – commonly referred to as the Devil’s Advocate. To insure a candidate for sainthood met the qualification of being canonized, the role of the Devil’s Advocate was to be the skeptic (loyal to the institution), looking for reasons why not to canonize the individual. Similarly, Leaders must embrace the concept of employing a devil’s advocate approach to identifying 2nd/3rd order and evil effects of technology – if not designating a devil’s advocate with the right expertise to identify assumptions, risks, and effects. But creating any devil’s advocate or “risk identification” positions is only useful if their input is seriously considered.
Embrace the Suck. Lastly, if we are serious in identifying the 2nd/3rd order and evil effects, Wmns Nike Lunarepic Low Flyknit OC Unlimited Olympic MultiColor Women 844863-999Brooks Ariel Womens Runing Training Size 9.5to include identifying new dependencies, ethical issues, or other issues which challenge the adaption or development of a new technology or policy – then we must be honest, resilient, and tough. There will be setbacks, delays, and frustration.
Technology holds the power to improve and change our personal and professional lives. For the military, technology changes the ways wars are fought (i.e., the character of war), but it may also change the nature of war by potentially reducing the “human dimension” in war. If robotics, AI, and other technological developments eliminate “danger, physical exertion, intelligence and friction,”17 is war easier to wage? Will technology increase its potential frequency? Will technology create a further separation between the military and the population by decreasing the number of personnel needed? These may be some of the 2nd/3rd order and “evil” effects we need to consider.
If you enjoyed this post, please see Dr. Marsella’s previous post “Second/Third Order, and Evil Effects” – The Dark Side of Technology (Gentleman/Lady Trotters Women's Dea Slingback Pump Ideal gift for all occasions Used in durability Reliable reputation)
… as well as the following posts:Nike Womens Indoor Basketball Shoes. Size 12Under Armour 1293743-100 SpeedForm Europa Record-Equipped womens running shoe
– NIKE Womens Size 6 Air Zoom Wildhorse 4 Mesh Athletic Hiking Trail Shoes, by Dr. Nir Buras