- Reebok YourFlex Trainers Womens Blk/Wht/Cherry Sneakers Sports Shoes Footwear
- Nike Free RN Flyknit 2017 Womens 880844-100 Platinum Running Shoes Size 10.5
- Merrell All Out Blaze 2 GTX Gore-Tex Black Grey Red Women Outdoors Shoes J41060
- Lamo Women's Akira Slip On Olive Canvas Shoes
- SH23 Dansko US 6.5-7 Hibiscus Patent Leather Clogs Blue Purple Floral
- NEW HANDMADE MEN'S SMOKE ELK HIDE FRINGE BEADED POW WOW MOCCASINS MUKLUKS 5-12
- Dr. Doc Martens Men's US 5, Brown Leather Casual Oxfords AW004 ENGLAND
- 75% ] Vans SK8-hi Reissue Year Of The Horse Original
- Allen Edmonds Berkshire Mens 11 M Brown Leather Oxford Shoe Plain Toe Casual EUC
- New Men's Levi's Mason 501 PG Low Top Sneakers Navy - Brown Size 8 Brand New!
- Unbranded Tall Brown Faux Leather Boots Size 6M
- Tan Comfortable Slouch Back Frill Round Toe Sexy Mid-Calf Boot Size 7.5
- Autumn Womens Riding Boots Block Heels Buckle Strap Knee High Shoes Plus Size
- JESSICA SIMPSON 'Teddi' Metallic Gunmetal Leather High Heel Bootie 9M or 10M
- Crown Vintage Womens Tabby Leather Pointed Toe Ankle Black suede Size 7.5 e6vW
- To Boot New York Adam Derrick Sport US 9.5 Black Leather Mens Sneakers Oxfords
- $800 yohji yamamoto leather sneakers shoes 2 ways comme des garcons sz 6 L
- TOD'S Men's Shoes 062533 Blue 7
- TEVA TERRA FLOAT 2 KNIT UNIVERSAL OLIVE / BUNGEE MENS SPORT SANDALS SIZE 10 US
- Man's/Woman's Vintage Valentino Pink Flats Size: 7 quality In short supply Contrary to the same paragraph
- Skechers Mens Charcoal Walking Shoes Size 9 (12226)
- Golf Cleats NIke Men's Sz 10.5W Free Computer Rejuvenate With Purchase
- Mens Buckle Strap Flat Ankle Boot Cowboy Motorcycle Combat Roma College Shoes YE
- Georgia Boot Georgia Giant Romeo - Brown - Mens
- Polo Ralph Lauren ~ Tristen Men's Boots $170 NIB
- VTG LL Bean Mens Maine Hunting Buckled Leather Snow Duck Boots Brown 8 - B7
- NEW CLARKS Men's Bushacre 2 Chukka Boots- Brown Suede,9 M US
- MENS 9.5 M Black Deertan ARIAT Heritage Roper ROUND TOE WESTERN BOOTS
- Olukai Nohea Lole Canvas Slip On Shoe in Charcoal/Caper Men’s Size 9.5
- asics Japan Onitsuka Tiger GSM Limited item D6H1L White X honey ginger
- Christian Louboutin Cork Anjalina Flats Size EU 39 (Approx. US 9) Regular (M, B)
- Christian Louboutin Beige Misfit Strappy Heels 150 Sandals Size US 9 Regular (M, B)
- Valentino Multicolored Formal Shoes Size US 6 Regular (M, B)
- Nike Lunarspeed Lite + 2 Hyper Azul/Blanco-Carmesí (555396 418) sz: 6 cm: 24
- NIKE Cortez Lucky 13 Men's Brown/Green Leather Canvas Sneakers 9.5 RARE Vintage
- Adidas Stella Mccartney Pure Boost x PrimeKnit PK Sample Sz. 7 Pure Ultra Boost
- ADIDAS WOMENS ORIGINALS EQT BASKETBALL WHITE SZ 7
- Nike Zoom All Out Low Size 9.5 Black/White/Lava Glow/Polarized Blue
- Nike Free TR 6 Black/White-Cool Grey Women's 833413-001
- Fashion Mid-Calf Boots Round Toe Block Chunk Heel Fur Lined Fur Trim Comfy Shoes
- Nike Air Zoom Talaria '16 Ocean Fog & White Running Shoes Sz 9 NEW 844695 400
- Mens Nike Air Huarache Run Ultra Shoes Cool Grey/ Wolf Greyobsidian819685-002 14
- NEW Hunter Women's Green Matte Rubber Rain Boots Original Tall 6 MED WFT1000RMA
- Steve Madden Women's Amber Dress Sandal - Choose SZ/color
- Man's/Woman's Sergio Rossi Heel Booties Practical and economical Let our goods go to the world Human border
[Editor’s Note: In Part I of this series, Dr. Nick Marsella addressed the duty we have to examine our assumptions about emergent warfighting technologies / capabilities and their associated implications to identify potential second / third order and “evil” effects. Dakota Men's 6'' Quad Comfort Steel Toe Composite Plate Work Boots Brown 8.5MLaredo Leather Western Cowboy Boots Mens 8 D Dark Oxblood Burgundy VGC In today’s post, he prescribes five actions we can embrace both individually and as organizations to avoid confirmation bias and falling into cognitive thinking traps when confronting the ramifications of emergent technologies — Enjoy!]
In part I of my blog post, I advised those advocating for the development and/or fielding of technology to be mindful of the second/third order and possible “evil” effects. I defined “evil” as an unexpected and profound negative implication(s) of the adoption/adaption of a technology and related policy. I also recommended heeding the admonition of Tim Cook, Apple’s CEO, to take responsibility for our technological creations and have the courage to think things through their potential implications – both for the good and the bad.
But even if we as individuals are willing to challenge our assumptions and think broadly and imaginatively, we can still come up short. Why? The answer is due in part to the challenges of prediction and the fact we are human with both great cognitive abilities, but also weaknesses.
First, common sense and many theorists remind us that the future is unknowable.Dakota Men's 8" 529 HD3 STSP Steel Toe Injected Welt Boots Brown Size 10.5MVTG MENS UNBRANDED COWBOY WORK LEATHER BROWN BOOTS SIZE 11 DThe futurist Arthur C. Clark noted in 1962, “It is impossible to predict the future, and all attempts to do in any detail appear ludicrous within a very few years.” Within this fixed condition of unknowing, the U.S. Departments of Defense and the Army must make choices to determine:
– what capabilities we desire and its related technology;
– where to invest in research and development; and
As Michael E. Raynor pointed out in his book, Addison Shoe Company US MILITARY Flight Boots 12 DLA190-80-C-3108 w/Zip It, making choices and developing strategies, which include adopting new technology, where the future is unknowable and “deeply unpredictable” either produces monumental successes or monumental failures.Men's/Women's Reflex Flat Fur Upper Snow Boot Strong heat and wear resistance a good reputation in the world professional designVasque Mens Constant Velocity Low Athletic Support Trail Hiking Shoes Size 11 For a company this can spell financial ruin, while for the Army, it can spell disaster and the loss of Soldiers’ lives and national treasure. Yet, we must also choose a “way ahead” – often by considering “boundaries” – in a sense the left and right limits – of potential implications.
Second, our ability to predict when technology will become available is often in error nor can we accurately determine its implications. For example, in a New York Times editorial on December 8, 1903, it noted: “A man carrying airplane will eventually be built, Mens Brahma 8 D Brown Over Tan Bull Hide Vintage Western Cowboy BootsHELLY HANSEN Men's Composite Toe Composite Plate Leather Boots Black Size 10.5Mbut only if mathematicians and engineers work steadily for the next ten million years.”5 The Wright Brothers first flight took place the following week, but it took decades for commercial and military aviation to evolve.
Each of the services has faced force modernization challenges due to the adoption of technologies that weren’t mature enough; whose capabilities were over-promised; or did not support operations in the envisioned Operational Environment. For the U.S. Army, Future Combat Systems (FCS) was the most obvious and recent example of this challenge – costing billions of dollars and, just as importantly, lost time and confidence.Kamik Mens Icebreaker Camo Hunting Boots Size 7 (9668)Womens Ankle Boots Real Fur Winter Warm Thicken Shoes Snow Boots 5 color
Third, in terms of future technology, predictions vary widely. For example, predictions by MIT’s Rodney Brooks and futurist/inventor Ray Kurzweil vary widely to the question – “What year do you think human-level Artificial Intelligence [AI, i.e., a true thinking machine] might be achieved with a 50% probability?” Kurzweil predicts AI (as defined) will be available in 2029, while Brooks is a bit more conservative – the year 2200 – a difference of over 170 years.VTG MENS UNBRANDED COWBOY LEATHER BROWN BOOTS SIZE 10.5?Tony Lama vintage black label 3142 brown cowboy boots mens 10 E
While one can understand the difficulty of predicting when “general AI” will be available, other technologies offer similar difficulties. The vision of the “self-driving” autonomous vehicle was first written about and experimented with in the 1920s, yet technological limitations, legal concerns, customer fears, and other barriers make implementing this capability challenging.
Lastly, as Rodney Brooks has highlighted, Aggressor Men's 13" Insulated Steel Toe Steel Plate Work Rubber Boots Black 10M maintains:
“we tend to overestimate the effect of a technology in the short run and underestimate the effect in the long run.”Keen Men's Pittsburgh 6" Boot Soft Toe Work Boot Cascade Brown/Bombay Brown 11M
SECOND, THIRD ORDER AND EVIL EFFECTS
– intentionally focus on the positive effects of adopting a technology;
– ignore the experts and those who identify the potential downside of technology; and
– fail to think thorough the short, long, and potentially dangerous effects or dependencies – imaginatively.
We do this because we are human, and more often because we fall into the confirmation bias or other cognitive thinking traps that might affect our program or pet technology. As noted by RAND in Truth Decay:NEW BOB COOPER | Snake Bite & Venomous Creatures Kit Bob Cooper BotanexDAKOTA Men's 8'' 877 STEEL TOE STEEL PLATE WORK BOOTS Black Size 10 M
“Cognitive biases and the ways in which human beings process information and make decisions cause people to look for information, opinion, and analyses that confirm preexisting beliefs, to weigh experience more heavily than data and facts, and then to rely on mental shortcuts and the beliefs of those in the same social networks when forming opinions and making decisions.”9
Yet, the warning signs or signals for many unanticipated effects can be found simply by conducting a literature review of government, think tank, academic, and popular reports (to perhaps include science fiction). This may deter some, given the sheer volume of literature is often overwhelming, but contained within these reports are many of the challenges associated with future technology, such as: the potential for deep fakes, loss of privacy, hacking,Sz 10 D Executive Imperials 7" Dress Boot Round Toe Leather Zipper Boot M8 909Merrell men's brown leather Watereproof hiking boots SIZE 11.5 VERY NICE!! accidents, deception, and loss of industries/jobs.
At the national level, both the current and previous administrations published reports on AI, as has the Department of Defense – some more balanced in addressing of issues of fairness, safety, governance, and ethics.10
For example, using photo recognition to help law enforcement and others seems like a great idea, yet its use is increasingly being questioned. This past May, San Francisco became the first city to ban its use, and others may follow suit.11 While some question this decision to ban vice impose a moratorium until the technology produces less errors, the question remains – did the developers and policy makers consider if there would be push back to its introduction given its current performance?El General 1901 White Pointed Cayman Western Cowboy Boots 8.5 (27.5) CrocodileJUSTIN Mens Black Leather Cowboy Boots-Size 9B-EUC What sources did they consult?
Another challenge is language. You’ve seen the commercials – “there is much we can do with AI” – in farming, business, and even beer making. While “AI” is a clever tag line, it may invoke unnecessary fear and misunderstanding. For example, I believe for most people equate “robotics” and “AI” with the “Terminator” franchise, raising the fear of uncontrolled autonomous military force overwhelming humanity. Even worse – under the moniker of “AI,” we will buy into “snake-oil” propositions.
We are at least decades away from “general AI” where a “system exhibits apparently intelligence behavior at least as advanced as a person” across the “full range of cognitive tasks,” but we continue to flaunt the use of “AI” without elaboration.McRae New Military Combat Warm Weather Boots Hunting Camping HikingTexas Steer Men's KMAX2 5" Soft Toe Work Boot Black slip resistant construction
SOME ACTIONS TO TAKE
Embrace a learning organization. Popularized by Peter Senge’s The Fifth Discipline: The Art and Practice of the Learning Organization (1990), a learning organization is a place “where people continually expand their capacity to create the results they truly desire, where new and expansive patterns of thinking are nurtured, where collective aspiration is set free, and where people are continually learning how to learn together.”VTG MENS 8 BROWN ACME COWBOY WESTERN LEATHER POINTY TOE BOOTS While some question whether we can truly make a learning organization, Senge’s thinking may help solve our problem of identifying 2nd/3rd order and evil effects.
First, we must embrace new and expansive patterns of thinking. Force developers use the acronym – “DOTMPLF-P” as shorthand for Doctrine, Organization, Training, Materiel, Personnel, Leadership, Facilities, and Policy implications – yet other factors might be as important.
For example, trust in automated or robotics systems must be instilled and measured. In one poll, 73% of respondents noted they would be afraid of riding in a fully autonomous vehicle – up 10% points from the previous year.14 What if we develop a military autonomous vehicle or a leader-follower system and one or more of our host nation allies prohibits its use? What happens if an accident occurs and the host population protests, Vintage Justin Cowboy Boots Iguana Lizard skin 8 1/2 EE-Cherry Brown USA ExoticMENS DON QUIJOTE COWBOY LEATHER BLACK BOOTS SIZE 7.5 EEarguing that the Americans don’t care for their safety?
Technologists and concept developers must move from being stove-piped in labs and single-focused to consider the broader view of technological implications across functions.
Embrace Humility. Given that we cannot predict the future and its potential consequences, developers must seek out diversified opinions, and more importantly, recognize divergent opinions.
Embrace the Data. In New York City during World War II, a small organization of some of the most brilliant minds in America worked in the office of the “Applied Mathematics Panel.” In Europe, the 8th U.S. Air Force suffered from devastating bomber losses. Madden Mens M-Piller Brown Ankle Boots Size 10 (2342)MENS BFG MILITARY LEATHER BLACK BOOTS SIZE ?Leaders wondered where best to reinforce the bombers with additional armor without significantly increasing their weight to improve survivability. Reports indicated returning bombers suffered gunfire hits over the wings and fuselage, but not in the tail or cockpits, so to the casual observer it made sense to reinforce the wings and fuselage where the damage was clearly visible.
Abraham Wald, a mathematician, worked on the problem. He noted that reinforcing the spots where damage was evident in returning aircraft wasn’t necessarily the best course of action, given that hits to the cockpit and tail were probably causing aircraft (and aircrew) losses during the mission. In a series of memorandums, he developed a “method of estimating plane vulnerability based on damage of survivors.” As Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s Sherlock Holmes noted more than 100 years ago, “It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”DAKOTA Men's Mid Cut Quad Lite Steel Toe Steel Plate Athletic Boots Black 9.5EELa Milano H1715 Dark Maroon Patent Leather Ankle Boots Men's Shoe Size 12 (B76)
Additionally, we need to reinforce our practice of performing quality literature reviews to aid in our identification of these issues.
Employ Skepticism and a Devil’s Advocate Approach. In 1587, the Roman Catholic Church created the position of Promoter of the Faith – commonly referred to as the Devil’s Advocate. To insure a candidate for sainthood met the qualification of being canonized, the role of the Devil’s Advocate was to be the skeptic (loyal to the institution), looking for reasons why not to canonize the individual. Similarly, Leaders must embrace the concept of employing a devil’s advocate approach to identifying 2nd/3rd order and evil effects of technology – if not designating a devil’s advocate with the right expertise to identify assumptions, risks, and effects. But creating any devil’s advocate or “risk identification” positions is only useful if their input is seriously considered.
Embrace the Suck. Lastly, if we are serious in identifying the 2nd/3rd order and evil effects, Dakota Men's Steel Toe Steel Plate 14" Syntrol Injected Work Boot Black Size 10MMens Outdoor Sports Shoes For All Seasons Climbing Hiking Sneakers Big Sizesto include identifying new dependencies, ethical issues, or other issues which challenge the adaption or development of a new technology or policy – then we must be honest, resilient, and tough. There will be setbacks, delays, and frustration.
Technology holds the power to improve and change our personal and professional lives. For the military, technology changes the ways wars are fought (i.e., the character of war), but it may also change the nature of war by potentially reducing the “human dimension” in war. If robotics, AI, and other technological developments eliminate “danger, physical exertion, intelligence and friction,”17 is war easier to wage? Will technology increase its potential frequency? Will technology create a further separation between the military and the population by decreasing the number of personnel needed? These may be some of the 2nd/3rd order and “evil” effects we need to consider.
If you enjoyed this post, please see Dr. Marsella’s previous post “Second/Third Order, and Evil Effects” – The Dark Side of Technology (DAKOTA Men's 6'' 877 STEEL TOE STEEL PLATE Work Boot Black Size 10.5M)
– Preowned men's hiking boots by Columbia size 11, brown in color, by Dr. Nir Buras