- J Crew Light Gray Suede Side Zipper Pointed Toe Ankle Boots Heels Size 9 M
- Ladies Womens Leather Real Sheepskin Winter Boots Warm Bailey Button Shoes Size
- Gentleman/Lady Carlos Santana Garrett Women's Boots Doe Every item described is available Selected materials Reliable reputation
- MIA - Parrade - boots - BLACK 8M US
- Auth Rag & Bone Harrow Tan Canvas Leather Ankle Boot Sz 38
- Nike Wild Trail Training (642833 001) Shoes Men 100% Authentic Size 10 - 44 New
- To Boot New York Aaron Oxford Shoes Size 13 $325
- New Billionaire Brown Leather Silver Buckle Accent Loafers Size 41
- POLO RALPH LAUREN MEN LEATHER BIG PONY FLIP FLOP SUEDE SUMMER SHOES SANDALS 11
- Crocs Womens Sienna Shiny Flat M- Pick SZ/Color.
- Men's/Women's Reebok Ventilator Casual Men's Shoes Elegant shape Modern and stylish fashion a lot of varieties
- Adidas EQT ADV 91-17 Mens Athletic Shoes Sz 11
- Vgt Justin Leather Boots Size Square Work Boots L2902
- MEN WORK BOOTS 602 BLACK
- Bates Men's SRT 7 Inch Work Boot, Duraflex/Mesh, BLACK, US; 10M
- GBX 10 M Men Percy Suede Leather Ankle Boots Desert Chukka Brown Tan Slip On
- Mens Winter Snow Shoes Thicken Fur Lined Ankle Boots Antiskid Warm Round Toe XYW
- VTG MENS UNBRANDED HARNESS MOTORCYCLE LEATHER DARK BROWN BOOTS SIZE 10 D
- Invicta Womens Angel Crystal-Accented Stainless Steel Watch W/ Pink Leather
- Adidas Originals Ultraboost Clima in White/White AQ0481 BNIB Free Shipping
- Christian Louboutin Pigalle Folie Pumps Size EU 37.5 (Approx. US 7.5) Regular (M, B)
- Valentino Blush Nude Rockstud Patent Ballerina Cage Flats Size US 9 Regular (M, B)
- Jimmy Choo Black Glitter Formal Shoes Size EU 38 (Approx. US 8) Regular (M, B)
- CHAUSSURES FEMME PUMA BASKET PLATFORM RESET WN’S 363313
- NIKE AIR FORCE 1 Men's Shoes (Size 8.5) Navy / Black / White 820266 405
- Nike Air Jordan 1 Retro Phat Premier Detroit sz 12 375173-461
- 1710 adidas NEO Cloudfoam QT Racer Women's Training Running Shoes BC0006
- NIKE AIR HUARACHE all White RUN PRINT ALOHA PACK RED FLORAL BLACK sunset
- Hoka One One 1012049 Tracer Bright Green Neon Pink Women's Running Shoe Sz 5 5.5
- NEW Women's Hotter Esther Ankle Boots Wedge Zip Brown leather suede Sz 9
- Nike Zoom Hyperflight prm size 9.5 yeezy used in good condition with box
- Mens NIKE LUNARCHARGE ESSENTIAL Palm Green Trainers 923619 307
- PUMA Women's Burst Chevron WN's Cross-Trainer Shoe - Choose SZ/color
- Gentleman/Lady Pleaser Womens Illu3019/Bpu/Sch Boot- Pick SZ/Color. Big clearance sale Carefully selected materials Known for its beautiful quality
- Aerosoles Women's Traveler Flat, Black/White/Multi, Size 5.5
- Women Men Fashion stylish Casual Health Canvas Flat Shoes - Blue Size 36
- Portugal Made"L.L.BEAN"CLOGS Black Leather Slip on Clogs Mules Shoes size 9.5M
- Men's/Women's mocassins TOD'S femme noirs T37,5/38 Charming design Strong value Popular recommendation
- Men/Women Report Women's Lenix Ballet Flat online sale Modern design Excellent function
- New FERRAGAMO Size 7.5 Gold Textured VARINA Ballet Flats Shoes 7 1/2
- Nike Women's Air Max 1 Shoes 454746-900 Light Orewood Brown Gold Women's Size 10
- Adidas Superstar Camo GS White Cargo Green Juniors Womens Girls Trainers BY2273
- Nike Metcon 3 Vintage Green/Bone 849807-301 Training Shoe WMNS Sz 12 Men Sz 10.5
- DANSKO Clogs Sage Green Shoes Floral Women’s Size 42
- Spring Step Women's Firefly Camel Multi Combo Leather Slip-on Shoes
- DS 2015 NIKE AIR MAX 90 SAFARI WHITE M 6 / WMN 7.5 ATMOS PATTA SUPREME 1 95 MO
- Skechers Mens Relaxed Fit Diamondback Shallow 64249 Casual Shoe
- Man's/Woman's Men's Clarks Black Leather Shoes, 11M New Listing Make full use of materials The first batch of customers' comprehensive specifications
- JOHNSTON&MURPHY MEN OXFORD M M SHEEPSKIN BROWN LEATHER MADE IN BRAZIL
- Mark Nason Los Angeles Skechers Mens Spring High Top White Sneakers Shoes Sz. 11
- Men's/Women's Ladies boots size 7 Elegant appearance Quality and quantity guaranteed Seasonal hot sale
- Womens Summer Hollow Out Boho Boots Pull on Knee High Shoes Hidden Heels Sandals
- Nine West Boots Yarnell Red Leather Zip Knee High Size 6 1/2 M FLOOR SAMPLE
- Penny Loves Kenny Women's Kevel Winter Boot, Wine, 12 M US
- Frye "Carmen" 3 Strap Black Distressed Leather Harness Boots Style Sz 9B
- MINT RARE ASOLO MEGATON GV Men's US 12 Hiking Shoes Blueberry/Night Blue A8
- Reebok Work Men's Jorie RB1860 EH Athletic Safety Shoe
- Royal Elastics Icon 1801 White Blue Black Men Shoes Sneakers Slip-On 02081-059
- Olukai Mens Size 12 Flip Flops Thong Sandals Black Holona
- NEW WOMEN CLARKS EVERLAY HEIDI BLACK FLAT COMFORTABLE LEATHER SHOES 28265
- New Balance Mens 560 Grey M560LR6 Running Shoe Left SZ 9.5 Right SZ 10.5 MisMate
- Under Armour Mens Bino Harness, Highland Buff 200/Hearthstone, One Size
- ARIAT Men's Sport Square Toe Fiddle Brown Pull-On Cowboy Boots 10014025 NWOB 11
- Justin Brown Leather Cowboy Port Hole Boots Mens Size 9.5 D Style 2272 USA
- Servus Honeywell Steel Toe ASTM F2413-11 Size 11 MENS I/75 C/75 MI/75
- Rothco Forced Entry 5005 Black 6" Tactical Waterproof Boots, Police/SWAT/EMT/EMS
- ALDO Terinese Men's Black Leather Derby Hiking Work Boot Shoe, Size 9 NEW $165
- Mens Black Zip Up Ankle Boots Cowboy Western Wear Casual Rodeo Round Toe
- Crocs Men's Citilane Roka Chukka Boot, Dark Camo Green/White, 11 M US
- Christian Louboutin Pink Baila 85 Gold Spike Cork Heel 36.5 Pumps Size US 6.5 Regular (M, B)
- Pelle Moda Purple Red Mustard Ivanka Platforms Size US 7 Regular (M, B)
- Merrell Pink Mica Green White Sandals Size US 8 Regular (M, B)
- Nike Free Huarache Carnivore SP Men's 9-11.5 New in Box NO Top Lid 801759 413
- New NIKE LUNAREPIC LOW FLYKNIT 2 Men's Shoes 863779 400 Deep Royal Blue sz 10.5
- Adidas Women's Stella McCartney Adipure White S81102：Gentlemen/Ladies：Strong Heat Resistance
- NEW NIKE AIR HUARACHE CITY LOW CASUAL WOMENS SHOES WHITE BLACK sizes 5 - 12
- Fly Flot Men's Slippers, filzoptik, Brown, removable footbed NEW
- A2 by Aerosoles 'Taekwondo' Black Fabric Wedge Heel Knee High Boots - Size 7.5
- Nike Air Max 90 Essential Men Obsidian Navy White Lifestyle Sneakers 537384-427
- Scarpe PUMA Donna BIANCO PU,Tessuto 190369-004
- Kyrie 3 black/white size 13
- Nike Air Jordan Flight Speed Red and White size. 12.5
- 10 Color Multicolor Women Knee High Boot Catwalks Flats Punk Roma Shoes Sz W532
- INDULGE-3011 SEXY CLASSIC LEATHER UPPER POLE DANCE THIGH HIGH PLATFORM BOOT
- Wedding Flats Glittering Red Bowknot Mom Walking Balletic Pregant Women Shoes
- NEW calvin klein 7 ballet flats women's shoes purple plum shagreen logo leather
- Splendid LL1138 Womens Delta Loafer Flat- Choose SZ/Color.
- Ladies Fly London Pump Luxor Mid Heel Slip on Smart Wedge Ballet Shoes All Sizes
- $148 TED BAKER OLESHKY BLACK/METALLIC SUEDE POINTY SHOES
- Bandolino 25016713-001 Womens Liberty Flat,Black Leather,US 6 N
- Nike Tanjun SE Womens 844908-007 Light Carbon Vast Mesh Running Shoes Size 9
- RARE?? Nike Women’s Gladiateur II Black Metallic Silver Sz 8.5 429881-003
- 1710 Nike Air Huarache Run Women's Training Running Shoes 634835-108
- Reebok Women's Hexaffect 5.0 MTM Running Shoe
- Man/Woman Dansko Womens Vinnie Flat- Select SZ/Color. Many styles auction cheaper
- Auth BALDININI Man Beige PERFORATED Leather SHOES Made in ITALY 45
- Man/Woman Mens Polo Canvas Shoes Size 11 Queensland Settlement Price Seasonal hot sale
- Fred Perry Kingston Twill Sneaker - Men's Size 12, White
- Sperry Top-Sider Dark Gray Canvas, Boat Shoes. Men's 7 M
- Mens Loafers Suede Slip On Hidden Wedge Rivet Comfort Casuals Shoes US Size 6-10
- Ann Taylor LOFT Brown Leather Boots Size 6M
- Earth Origins Women's Crowley Water Repellent Ankle Boot in Berry Size 6.5 M
- Diego di Lucca Royalty Strappy Leather Back-Zip Shooties BLACK 9M NEW 531-235
- Women's 6.5" Tall Vintage LL Bean Maine Hunting Duck Boots Waterproof Size 9 M
- Dr Marten Maelly 6 Eye Boot Women size 10 White Leather
[Editor’s Note: In Part I of this series, Dr. Nick Marsella addressed the duty we have to examine our assumptions about emergent warfighting technologies / capabilities and their associated implications to identify potential second / third order and “evil” effects. Merrell Capra Bolt Womens Breathable Walking Running Trainers Shoes SizeNike Force Girls Size 5.5Y Shoes Hi Mid Top Purple/Gray 616371-007 In today’s post, he prescribes five actions we can embrace both individually and as organizations to avoid confirmation bias and falling into cognitive thinking traps when confronting the ramifications of emergent technologies — Enjoy!]
In part I of my blog post, I advised those advocating for the development and/or fielding of technology to be mindful of the second/third order and possible “evil” effects. I defined “evil” as an unexpected and profound negative implication(s) of the adoption/adaption of a technology and related policy. I also recommended heeding the admonition of Tim Cook, Apple’s CEO, to take responsibility for our technological creations and have the courage to think things through their potential implications – both for the good and the bad.
But even if we as individuals are willing to challenge our assumptions and think broadly and imaginatively, we can still come up short. Why? The answer is due in part to the challenges of prediction and the fact we are human with both great cognitive abilities, but also weaknesses.
First, common sense and many theorists remind us that the future is unknowable.Mizuno Wave Daichi 2 Womens Black/Hot Pink Running Shoes Size 8.5Women's Nike Air Zoom Strong 2 921335 005 Training Crossfit Multiple SizesThe futurist Arthur C. Clark noted in 1962, “It is impossible to predict the future, and all attempts to do in any detail appear ludicrous within a very few years.” Within this fixed condition of unknowing, the U.S. Departments of Defense and the Army must make choices to determine:
– what capabilities we desire and its related technology;
– where to invest in research and development; and
As Michael E. Raynor pointed out in his book, SAUCONY GRID COHESION TR9 PLUSH PICK SIZE NW, making choices and developing strategies, which include adopting new technology, where the future is unknowable and “deeply unpredictable” either produces monumental successes or monumental failures.Wmns Nike Air Zoom Pegasus 34 GEM Sz 7.5 Brown/Maroon AH7949-200 FREE SHIPPINGPuma X Alexander McQueen Jogger Shoes 357760 01 Size 10 Women’s For a company this can spell financial ruin, while for the Army, it can spell disaster and the loss of Soldiers’ lives and national treasure. Yet, we must also choose a “way ahead” – often by considering “boundaries” – in a sense the left and right limits – of potential implications.
Second, our ability to predict when technology will become available is often in error nor can we accurately determine its implications. For example, in a New York Times editorial on December 8, 1903, it noted: “A man carrying airplane will eventually be built, Reebok WMNS Club C 85 X Ray women lifestyle sneakers NEW white AR2639adidas outdoor Women's Terrex Voyager CW CP W Walking Shoe - Choose SZ/Colorbut only if mathematicians and engineers work steadily for the next ten million years.”5 The Wright Brothers first flight took place the following week, but it took decades for commercial and military aviation to evolve.
Each of the services has faced force modernization challenges due to the adoption of technologies that weren’t mature enough; whose capabilities were over-promised; or did not support operations in the envisioned Operational Environment. For the U.S. Army, Future Combat Systems (FCS) was the most obvious and recent example of this challenge – costing billions of dollars and, just as importantly, lost time and confidence.Ahnu Women's Calaveras Waterproof Hiking Shoe, Cortado, 5.5 M USNike Flyknit Lunar 2 620658-800 Orange Blue White Black Women's Shoes Sz 8 39
Third, in terms of future technology, predictions vary widely. For example, predictions by MIT’s Rodney Brooks and futurist/inventor Ray Kurzweil vary widely to the question – “What year do you think human-level Artificial Intelligence [AI, i.e., a true thinking machine] might be achieved with a 50% probability?” Kurzweil predicts AI (as defined) will be available in 2029, while Brooks is a bit more conservative – the year 2200 – a difference of over 170 years.ASICS GEL VENTURE 6 T7G7N 9097 (D) BLACK CARBON NEON LIME WOMEN SHOES SIZE 5-8.5Teva Women's Freewheel Suede Sneaker - Choose SZ/Color
While one can understand the difficulty of predicting when “general AI” will be available, other technologies offer similar difficulties. The vision of the “self-driving” autonomous vehicle was first written about and experimented with in the 1920s, yet technological limitations, legal concerns, customer fears, and other barriers make implementing this capability challenging.
Lastly, as Rodney Brooks has highlighted, Women's Hoka One One Arahi 2 Running Shoes Poseidon Vintage Indigo D-Wide maintains:
“we tend to overestimate the effect of a technology in the short run and underestimate the effect in the long run.”Vibram FiveFingers V - Running Shoes, Women's Size 41, Pink/Red
SECOND, THIRD ORDER AND EVIL EFFECTS
– intentionally focus on the positive effects of adopting a technology;
– ignore the experts and those who identify the potential downside of technology; and
– fail to think thorough the short, long, and potentially dangerous effects or dependencies – imaginatively.
We do this because we are human, and more often because we fall into the confirmation bias or other cognitive thinking traps that might affect our program or pet technology. As noted by RAND in Truth Decay:Asics T7B5N GT 100 6 Women's Grey Carbon/Coral Running Shoes 7.5 D Wide $90New Balance WW779BK1 Womens 779v1 Trail Walking Shoe- Choose SZ/Color.
“Cognitive biases and the ways in which human beings process information and make decisions cause people to look for information, opinion, and analyses that confirm preexisting beliefs, to weigh experience more heavily than data and facts, and then to rely on mental shortcuts and the beliefs of those in the same social networks when forming opinions and making decisions.”9
Yet, the warning signs or signals for many unanticipated effects can be found simply by conducting a literature review of government, think tank, academic, and popular reports (to perhaps include science fiction). This may deter some, given the sheer volume of literature is often overwhelming, but contained within these reports are many of the challenges associated with future technology, such as: the potential for deep fakes, loss of privacy, hacking,New Nike Women's Classic Cortez Leather Size 7 Black WhiteConverse Chuck Taylor All Star Hi Silver Women Hi-top Metallic Trainers Sneakers accidents, deception, and loss of industries/jobs.
At the national level, both the current and previous administrations published reports on AI, as has the Department of Defense – some more balanced in addressing of issues of fairness, safety, governance, and ethics.10
For example, using photo recognition to help law enforcement and others seems like a great idea, yet its use is increasingly being questioned. This past May, San Francisco became the first city to ban its use, and others may follow suit.11 While some question this decision to ban vice impose a moratorium until the technology produces less errors, the question remains – did the developers and policy makers consider if there would be push back to its introduction given its current performance?Converse Chucks ALL STAR THE SIMPSONS BARTMAN Limited Edition Men's Sz 4Zumba Air Classic Shoes - Green A1F00070 What sources did they consult?
Another challenge is language. You’ve seen the commercials – “there is much we can do with AI” – in farming, business, and even beer making. While “AI” is a clever tag line, it may invoke unnecessary fear and misunderstanding. For example, I believe for most people equate “robotics” and “AI” with the “Terminator” franchise, raising the fear of uncontrolled autonomous military force overwhelming humanity. Even worse – under the moniker of “AI,” we will buy into “snake-oil” propositions.
We are at least decades away from “general AI” where a “system exhibits apparently intelligence behavior at least as advanced as a person” across the “full range of cognitive tasks,” but we continue to flaunt the use of “AI” without elaboration.K-Swiss Bigshot Light Ltr Womens Leather Tennis Shoes Trainers SizeNike Blazer Mid Suede Vintage Women's Retro Tennis Max Orange White 518171 Sz 9
SOME ACTIONS TO TAKE
Embrace a learning organization. Popularized by Peter Senge’s The Fifth Discipline: The Art and Practice of the Learning Organization (1990), a learning organization is a place “where people continually expand their capacity to create the results they truly desire, where new and expansive patterns of thinking are nurtured, where collective aspiration is set free, and where people are continually learning how to learn together.”adidas Originals NMD R1 STLT Primeknit Shoe - Size 9 - CQ2028 Pink Orchid White While some question whether we can truly make a learning organization, Senge’s thinking may help solve our problem of identifying 2nd/3rd order and evil effects.
First, we must embrace new and expansive patterns of thinking. Force developers use the acronym – “DOTMPLF-P” as shorthand for Doctrine, Organization, Training, Materiel, Personnel, Leadership, Facilities, and Policy implications – yet other factors might be as important.
For example, trust in automated or robotics systems must be instilled and measured. In one poll, 73% of respondents noted they would be afraid of riding in a fully autonomous vehicle – up 10% points from the previous year.14 What if we develop a military autonomous vehicle or a leader-follower system and one or more of our host nation allies prohibits its use? What happens if an accident occurs and the host population protests, Nike Metcon 2 Crossfit White 821913-103 Womens Size 12 Training Shoes FlywireNike Free 5.0 Tr Fit 4 Prt 629832 Green Womens Trainers Running Shoes Last Sizesarguing that the Americans don’t care for their safety?
Technologists and concept developers must move from being stove-piped in labs and single-focused to consider the broader view of technological implications across functions.
Embrace Humility. Given that we cannot predict the future and its potential consequences, developers must seek out diversified opinions, and more importantly, recognize divergent opinions.
Embrace the Data. In New York City during World War II, a small organization of some of the most brilliant minds in America worked in the office of the “Applied Mathematics Panel.” In Europe, the 8th U.S. Air Force suffered from devastating bomber losses. Womens Nike Shox Deliver Silver/Pink/White Running Shoes. Size 9. Nice Shoes!!Wmns NikeLab LunarEpic Flyknit Size 6.5Leaders wondered where best to reinforce the bombers with additional armor without significantly increasing their weight to improve survivability. Reports indicated returning bombers suffered gunfire hits over the wings and fuselage, but not in the tail or cockpits, so to the casual observer it made sense to reinforce the wings and fuselage where the damage was clearly visible.
Abraham Wald, a mathematician, worked on the problem. He noted that reinforcing the spots where damage was evident in returning aircraft wasn’t necessarily the best course of action, given that hits to the cockpit and tail were probably causing aircraft (and aircrew) losses during the mission. In a series of memorandums, he developed a “method of estimating plane vulnerability based on damage of survivors.” As Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s Sherlock Holmes noted more than 100 years ago, “It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”Salomon Sense Pro Trail Running Cross-Training Sneaker Shoe - WomensNEW WOMENS Nike HYPERDUNK 2016 TB sz 6.5 YELLOW WHITE Basketball Sneakers Shoes
Additionally, we need to reinforce our practice of performing quality literature reviews to aid in our identification of these issues.
Employ Skepticism and a Devil’s Advocate Approach. In 1587, the Roman Catholic Church created the position of Promoter of the Faith – commonly referred to as the Devil’s Advocate. To insure a candidate for sainthood met the qualification of being canonized, the role of the Devil’s Advocate was to be the skeptic (loyal to the institution), looking for reasons why not to canonize the individual. Similarly, Leaders must embrace the concept of employing a devil’s advocate approach to identifying 2nd/3rd order and evil effects of technology – if not designating a devil’s advocate with the right expertise to identify assumptions, risks, and effects. But creating any devil’s advocate or “risk identification” positions is only useful if their input is seriously considered.
Embrace the Suck. Lastly, if we are serious in identifying the 2nd/3rd order and evil effects, DC Womens Heathrow SE Shoes- Select SZ/Color.KEDS Women's 10 Anchor Solid Rose Pink Sneakers Shoes Casual NIBto include identifying new dependencies, ethical issues, or other issues which challenge the adaption or development of a new technology or policy – then we must be honest, resilient, and tough. There will be setbacks, delays, and frustration.
Technology holds the power to improve and change our personal and professional lives. For the military, technology changes the ways wars are fought (i.e., the character of war), but it may also change the nature of war by potentially reducing the “human dimension” in war. If robotics, AI, and other technological developments eliminate “danger, physical exertion, intelligence and friction,”17 is war easier to wage? Will technology increase its potential frequency? Will technology create a further separation between the military and the population by decreasing the number of personnel needed? These may be some of the 2nd/3rd order and “evil” effects we need to consider.
If you enjoyed this post, please see Dr. Marsella’s previous post “Second/Third Order, and Evil Effects” – The Dark Side of Technology (New Womens Reebok PRINCESS J95362 WHITE US W 5.5 - 8.0 TAKSE)
… as well as the following posts:Women's Asics Kayano 24 Black Running Shoes Size 7Nike Wmns Air Max 1 GS 5us - 37.5eu Black Pink Noir Rose Sneakers DS
– NEW ADIDAS SUPERSTAR W (CG5464) ADIDAS ORIGINALS CASUAL SHOES SNEAKERS, by Dr. Nir Buras