- Men's Slip On Black/Burgundy Velvet Tuxedo Loafers Formal Dress Shoes SPK 8
- Pierre Cardin Shoes Men Sneakers Blue 81932 moda1 SALE
- Bass Black Leather Ankle Boots Womens 10M
- $110 size 6 FitFlop Loaff Snug Slip On Black Suede Slipper Winter Womens Shoes
- NIB SOHO NYC COBBLER Daedrmr Cognac LEATHER Boots Women's SIZE 8
- THE NORTH FACE ALPENGLOW IV GIRLS US SIZE 7 YOUTH BOOTS INSULATED
- SPERRY TOP-SIDER Wedge Booties Stella Keel Boots Brown Suede Leather Shoes 7.5 M
- Skechers USA 64652 Mens Glides Soman Oxford- Choose SZ/Color.
- Man/Woman Jeffery West Men's Scarface Boots, Brown High security Medium cost fine
- Lucasarts Lucien Piccard Womens Balarina Analog Display Quartz Rose Gold Watch
- NEW $1800 DOLCE & GABBANA Black Caiman Crocodile Leather Sandal Shoes EU42/ US9
- NEW Retail $225 VINCE Maxwell 2 Italian Satin Ballet Flats Shoes Fawn SZ 8
- UJoowalk Mens Black White Slip On Barefoot Skin Yoga Swimming for Beach Pool ...
- Fila Men's Memory Nonslip Trainer
- VINTAGE MEN'S LACROSSE ZIP FRONT OVERSHOES 7, 8, 8 1/2 AMERICAN MADE
- STACY ADAMS SAO DUBLIN II BLACK SUEDE BOOT MEN US SZ 11
- Gentlemen/Ladies Muck Men's Chore Cool Hi Brown Long-term reputation Quality and quantity guaranteed Elegant and stable packaging
- VINTAGE Mens Black Leather Waterproof Sherpa Lined Boots Sz 8
- Mens High Top Chelsea Ankle Boots Suede Leather Chukka Vintage Shoes Flats New
- VTG MENS JUSTIN COWBOY LIZARD SKIN LEATHER BROWN BOOTS SIZE 9 D
- SPERRY TOP SIDER CLOUDS DROIDS R2D2 SLIP ON SHOES MENS SIZE 11.5 NEW
- Apex Men's V950 Voyage Double Strap Black Comfort Shoes
- Mr/Ms: Nike Air Max T-zone: Good global reputation
- Prada Black / White Leather Beads Decorated Fashion Sneakers Sneakers Size US 7.5 Regular (M, B)
- Golden Formal Shoes Size US 7.5 Regular (M, B)
- Victoria's Secret Metallic Pink Vs Logo Slides Slippers L Sandals Size US 9 Regular (M, B)
- NIKE SB ZOOM DUNK LOW PRO IW ISHOD WAIR WHITE PERFECT PINK 895969-160 SIZE 12
- Nike Lunar Edge Running Shoes SZ 15 553682-600 Free Shipping To US
- ZAPATOS MUJER ADIDAS STAN SMITH W B41750
- NIKE LEGEND LOW LIGHT BLUE/WHITE 311958-412 Womens Size 9.5
- Skechers Flex Appeal Pure Tone Womens Sneakers Black 11
- Spring Step ERNESTINA Womens Black Side Zip Waterproof Winter Boots
- Nike Jordan SUPER.FLY 4 Black/White/Grey/Red 849364-015 Mens Shoes Size 10.5
- NIKE Mens Roshe Two Flyknit Running Shoes College Navy / White-paramount Blue 11
- Ariat Heritage Brown Leather Cowboy Boots Womens 10 B Blue Stiching 10004737
- Gentleman/Lady Leopard Western Style Ankle Boots Booties Year-end special promotions new King of the crowd
- Womens Ladies Slip On Walk Go Trainers Lightweight Gym Pumps Shoes Size
- Tahari Women's Size 6M Ballet Flat, PRIELLE, Leopard with Black Toe New w/o Box
- Lydia Cutout Loafer GeeWawa Anthropologie Jim Barnier flats slippers Size 6
- Man's/Woman's Elie Tahari Reese Suede Loafers Elegant and sturdy set meal Cheaper than the price Shopping promotion
- EL NATURALISTA Womens STELLA N033 Blue Leather Two Piece Ballet Flat US 7
- TIEKS Women's Black Matte Leather Ballet Flats Size 7
- Nike Free Run 2 EXT Light Blue/Sail-Hyper Blue 536746-401 Women's SZ 5.5
- Salomon RX Moc 3.0 W Women's Running Outing Hiking Shoes 370739
- Adidas Gazelle Casual Shoes BY2852 GREY Womens Size 9
- Dansko Nursing Clogs / Shoes, Shiny Black, US Sz 8.5 - 9
- Sofft Leather Wedge Clogs Mules Slip On Brown Women's Size 6.5 M Shoes
- PHILIPPE MODEL MEN'S SHOES SUEDE TRAINERS SNEAKERS NEW PARIS BLACK 635
- Vans Mens 8.5 41 (Womens 10) Disney Pixar Canvas Skateboard Shoes 721278 drm
- Robert Wayne Mens Fenmore High Top Sneaker or Finlet Low Top Choice NWB.
- Chaco Mens Davis Size 9 US Gray (CS18M-5)
- Men's Bed|Stü Penn-Light Dirty Veg Crust Loafer US/13
- Brand New, Women,s Trail Running, Lavender / Shadow Purple,Brand New
- Aerosoles Heelrest Women's Brown Suede Boots Size 9.5 M
- Dolce Vita Tessey Suede Ankle Boots, Women's Size 8, Charcoal
- Salvatore Ferragamo Womens Hickory Brown Leather Belted Ankle Boots Size 9.5 B
- Torrid 12W Black Multi Buckle Strap Gore Tall Boots (Wide.Calf)
- Gental Mens Oxford Formal Dress Shoes Rhinestone Rivet Pointed Toe Wedding Shoes
- DIESEL Shoe D-Y01169 P1038 H6036 olive 100% Leather
- Armani Jeans AJ Shoes Sneaker % Leather Man Blacks 9350277A420-20
- British Style Men Leather Roma Flat Pull On Casual Loafers Sport Sandals Shoes
- Haflinger Womens 7 Brown Leather Slides Loafers Shoes
- Adidas Primaloft 110297584 High Top Shoes Men Size 10.5
- Nike Mens Air Zoom Structure Running Shoes Black Green Blue White size 8 EUC K2G
- Men SHOES 8 D(M)US Size Athletic Style Safety Steel Toe Light Duty Anti Static
- New Men's Converse Chuck Taylor Tekoa Waterproof Boot White 153657C Size 13
- Justin 5175 Mens Sz 8 EE Cowboy Western Work Boots Brown Leather Round Toe 161-1
- HQ ISSUE Men's Waterproof Tactical Boots Black Size 12 Excellent Condition
- Christian Louboutin Vanilla Lady Peep Toe Pump Exotic Skin Leather 37.5 Platforms Size US 7.5 Regular (M, B)
- Isabel Marant Black 'becky Cuissard' Thigh High Boots/Booties Size US 8
- Naturalizer Brown Saturday Logo Loafers Saddle Tan W Display Flats Size US 9 Wide (C, D)
- NIKE Mens Sz 9 AIR ZOOM SPIRIDON '16 926955 105 LIFESTYLE RUNNING SHOES $160
- Nike Air Max Premium 1
- Nike Air Presto Essential 848187-008 Cool Grey Gym Red White Mens Running NEW
- Bottines Boots à Boucles VERTIGO Cuir Cousu Véritable Gris T 40 TRES BON ETAT
- Texas Steer STEEL TOE BLACK BOOTS MEN'S SIZE 9 1/2
- SKECHERS Memory Foam Molsen Black Gray Oxford Sneakers Shoes US 12 NWB
- Lacoste Ampthill MTS SPM Black Leather Mens Size 13
- Puma Basket Platform Opulence NS Womens 364587-01 Black Leather Shoes Size 5.5
- Women’s Nike Free RN Motion Flyknit Running Shoes Size 7.5 Style 834585-401
- A2 by Aerosoles Women's Sunflower Slide Sandal Black Faux Leather
- Marc Fisher Womens Tracey3 Almond Toe Knee High Fashion Boots, Black, Size 7.5 F
- Nike Air Max Invigor Print Men's Running Blue Jay/Black-Wolf Grey 749688-403
- ***NEW*** NIKE AIR JORDAN 1 RETRO MID GREY / BLUE / WHITE 554724-025 SZ 12
- The North face Women's Shellista II Mid Waterproof Winter Boot Blk/Gry 9.5 M US
- SALOMON Deemax 3 TS Waterproof L404736 Outdoor Hiking Winter Boots Shoes Womens
- Danner 51495 Rivot TFX GTX Waterproof Gore-Tex Women's Military Boot ~ Size 9.5
- BORN Brown leather mary jane comfort casual flats 7 Career Excellent
- Ladies Clarks Mary Jane Flats Style - Indigo Charm
- Roman Womens Gladiators Summer High Block Heels Rhinestone Boots Sandals Shoes
- Nike Womans Considered Mule Hemp Classic Olive Birch 8 RARE
[Editor’s Note: In Part I of this series, Dr. Nick Marsella addressed the duty we have to examine our assumptions about emergent warfighting technologies / capabilities and their associated implications to identify potential second / third order and “evil” effects. White Mountain Women's Tivia Snow BootWomen Over The Knee Boots Spring Stretchy Pull On High Chunky Heels Shoes Party In today’s post, he prescribes five actions we can embrace both individually and as organizations to avoid confirmation bias and falling into cognitive thinking traps when confronting the ramifications of emergent technologies — Enjoy!]
In part I of my blog post, I advised those advocating for the development and/or fielding of technology to be mindful of the second/third order and possible “evil” effects. I defined “evil” as an unexpected and profound negative implication(s) of the adoption/adaption of a technology and related policy. I also recommended heeding the admonition of Tim Cook, Apple’s CEO, to take responsibility for our technological creations and have the courage to think things through their potential implications – both for the good and the bad.
But even if we as individuals are willing to challenge our assumptions and think broadly and imaginatively, we can still come up short. Why? The answer is due in part to the challenges of prediction and the fact we are human with both great cognitive abilities, but also weaknesses.
First, common sense and many theorists remind us that the future is unknowable.Skechers Street Womens Double up-Chukka Ankle Bootie- Select SZ/Color.Womens Rhinestone Ankle Boots Casual Fur Lined Pull On Casual Fashion ShoesThe futurist Arthur C. Clark noted in 1962, “It is impossible to predict the future, and all attempts to do in any detail appear ludicrous within a very few years.” Within this fixed condition of unknowing, the U.S. Departments of Defense and the Army must make choices to determine:
– what capabilities we desire and its related technology;
– where to invest in research and development; and
As Michael E. Raynor pointed out in his book, Skechers Women's Work Relaxed Fit Comfort Flex Pro HC SR Sneaker, making choices and developing strategies, which include adopting new technology, where the future is unknowable and “deeply unpredictable” either produces monumental successes or monumental failures.Womens Patent Leather Chunky High Heels Side Zip Ankle Boots Pointed Toe Warm T6Skechers Women's Side Street - Core-Set Sneaker, - Choose SZ/color For a company this can spell financial ruin, while for the Army, it can spell disaster and the loss of Soldiers’ lives and national treasure. Yet, we must also choose a “way ahead” – often by considering “boundaries” – in a sense the left and right limits – of potential implications.
Second, our ability to predict when technology will become available is often in error nor can we accurately determine its implications. For example, in a New York Times editorial on December 8, 1903, it noted: “A man carrying airplane will eventually be built, Anthropologie Matt Bernson Size 7 Marlow Booties Raffia Woven Straw Boots HoneyTwisted Lisa 82 Heeled Fashion Bootie Womens Size 8 Brownbut only if mathematicians and engineers work steadily for the next ten million years.”5 The Wright Brothers first flight took place the following week, but it took decades for commercial and military aviation to evolve.
Each of the services has faced force modernization challenges due to the adoption of technologies that weren’t mature enough; whose capabilities were over-promised; or did not support operations in the envisioned Operational Environment. For the U.S. Army, Future Combat Systems (FCS) was the most obvious and recent example of this challenge – costing billions of dollars and, just as importantly, lost time and confidence.Womens Shoes Stiletto Over Knee Platform Black -White Nightclub Pointed ToeNWB Brown RELATIVITY RE-HENRICK Fashion Boots 7 1/2M $95 ~~~FREE SHIPPING~~~
Third, in terms of future technology, predictions vary widely. For example, predictions by MIT’s Rodney Brooks and futurist/inventor Ray Kurzweil vary widely to the question – “What year do you think human-level Artificial Intelligence [AI, i.e., a true thinking machine] might be achieved with a 50% probability?” Kurzweil predicts AI (as defined) will be available in 2029, while Brooks is a bit more conservative – the year 2200 – a difference of over 170 years.Man/Woman Corkys Shield - Camo - Womens Elegant and sturdy set meal Known for its good quality Extreme speed logisticsWomen's Pointy Toe Flat Heels Leather Ankle Boots Rivet Winter Fashion Zip Shoes
While one can understand the difficulty of predicting when “general AI” will be available, other technologies offer similar difficulties. The vision of the “self-driving” autonomous vehicle was first written about and experimented with in the 1920s, yet technological limitations, legal concerns, customer fears, and other barriers make implementing this capability challenging.
Lastly, as Rodney Brooks has highlighted, Chic Women Europe Style Black Chunky Heels Side Zipper National Wind Long Boots maintains:
“we tend to overestimate the effect of a technology in the short run and underestimate the effect in the long run.”Womens Knitted Mixed Color Breathable Ankle Boots Pull On Casual Sneakers Shoes
SECOND, THIRD ORDER AND EVIL EFFECTS
– intentionally focus on the positive effects of adopting a technology;
– ignore the experts and those who identify the potential downside of technology; and
– fail to think thorough the short, long, and potentially dangerous effects or dependencies – imaginatively.
We do this because we are human, and more often because we fall into the confirmation bias or other cognitive thinking traps that might affect our program or pet technology. As noted by RAND in Truth Decay:2017 New Chic Women Pointy Toe High Stiletto Heel Ankle Boot Shoes Pull On BlingWomen Winter New High-heeled Chunky Pointed Toe Leather Casual Knight Boots
“Cognitive biases and the ways in which human beings process information and make decisions cause people to look for information, opinion, and analyses that confirm preexisting beliefs, to weigh experience more heavily than data and facts, and then to rely on mental shortcuts and the beliefs of those in the same social networks when forming opinions and making decisions.”9
Yet, the warning signs or signals for many unanticipated effects can be found simply by conducting a literature review of government, think tank, academic, and popular reports (to perhaps include science fiction). This may deter some, given the sheer volume of literature is often overwhelming, but contained within these reports are many of the challenges associated with future technology, such as: the potential for deep fakes, loss of privacy, hacking,Women's Hot Over The Knee High Boots Suede Stretchy Motorcycle Boots Med Heel szLEATHER Zigi Soho Women US 8 Brown Knee High Boot Pre Owned EUC Worn 1X accidents, deception, and loss of industries/jobs.
At the national level, both the current and previous administrations published reports on AI, as has the Department of Defense – some more balanced in addressing of issues of fairness, safety, governance, and ethics.10
For example, using photo recognition to help law enforcement and others seems like a great idea, yet its use is increasingly being questioned. This past May, San Francisco became the first city to ban its use, and others may follow suit.11 While some question this decision to ban vice impose a moratorium until the technology produces less errors, the question remains – did the developers and policy makers consider if there would be push back to its introduction given its current performance?NEW Crocs Women’s Leigh Suede Mix Wedge Ankle Bootie Espresso Size 11 M BootWomens pointed toe high block heel ankle boots leisure shoes 3 colors Lady New What sources did they consult?
Another challenge is language. You’ve seen the commercials – “there is much we can do with AI” – in farming, business, and even beer making. While “AI” is a clever tag line, it may invoke unnecessary fear and misunderstanding. For example, I believe for most people equate “robotics” and “AI” with the “Terminator” franchise, raising the fear of uncontrolled autonomous military force overwhelming humanity. Even worse – under the moniker of “AI,” we will buy into “snake-oil” propositions.
We are at least decades away from “general AI” where a “system exhibits apparently intelligence behavior at least as advanced as a person” across the “full range of cognitive tasks,” but we continue to flaunt the use of “AI” without elaboration.Marc Fisher "Harlie" Ankle Boots Medium Brown Synthetic New with BoxWomen Square Toe Low Block Heel Zip Sequin Bling Ankle Boot Shoe Stylish Leather
SOME ACTIONS TO TAKE
Embrace a learning organization. Popularized by Peter Senge’s The Fifth Discipline: The Art and Practice of the Learning Organization (1990), a learning organization is a place “where people continually expand their capacity to create the results they truly desire, where new and expansive patterns of thinking are nurtured, where collective aspiration is set free, and where people are continually learning how to learn together.”Womens Tony Lama Leather Cowboy Boots Western Brown Distressed Destroyed 6.5 B While some question whether we can truly make a learning organization, Senge’s thinking may help solve our problem of identifying 2nd/3rd order and evil effects.
First, we must embrace new and expansive patterns of thinking. Force developers use the acronym – “DOTMPLF-P” as shorthand for Doctrine, Organization, Training, Materiel, Personnel, Leadership, Facilities, and Policy implications – yet other factors might be as important.
For example, trust in automated or robotics systems must be instilled and measured. In one poll, 73% of respondents noted they would be afraid of riding in a fully autonomous vehicle – up 10% points from the previous year.14 What if we develop a military autonomous vehicle or a leader-follower system and one or more of our host nation allies prohibits its use? What happens if an accident occurs and the host population protests, Sexy Womens Winter Embroidery Pointed Toe Side Zippers Ankle Boots Stilettos szWomens Patent Leather Ankle Boots Chunky Heel Runway Square Toe Shoes Zipper ssarguing that the Americans don’t care for their safety?
Technologists and concept developers must move from being stove-piped in labs and single-focused to consider the broader view of technological implications across functions.
Embrace Humility. Given that we cannot predict the future and its potential consequences, developers must seek out diversified opinions, and more importantly, recognize divergent opinions.
Embrace the Data. In New York City during World War II, a small organization of some of the most brilliant minds in America worked in the office of the “Applied Mathematics Panel.” In Europe, the 8th U.S. Air Force suffered from devastating bomber losses. Retro Vintage Women's Open Toe High Heels Side Zip Ankle Boots Shoes US4.5-8.5&&NEW Skechers Women's Bikers-Knit Happens Sneaker WIDE-FIT Black Size 6 XWLeaders wondered where best to reinforce the bombers with additional armor without significantly increasing their weight to improve survivability. Reports indicated returning bombers suffered gunfire hits over the wings and fuselage, but not in the tail or cockpits, so to the casual observer it made sense to reinforce the wings and fuselage where the damage was clearly visible.
Abraham Wald, a mathematician, worked on the problem. He noted that reinforcing the spots where damage was evident in returning aircraft wasn’t necessarily the best course of action, given that hits to the cockpit and tail were probably causing aircraft (and aircrew) losses during the mission. In a series of memorandums, he developed a “method of estimating plane vulnerability based on damage of survivors.” As Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s Sherlock Holmes noted more than 100 years ago, “It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”Womens Faux Suede Pointy Toe Stretchy Mid Chunky Block Heel Over Knee Thigh BootWomen's Over Knee Thigh Riding Boots Wedge Heel Sequins Party Pointed Toe Shoes
Additionally, we need to reinforce our practice of performing quality literature reviews to aid in our identification of these issues.
Employ Skepticism and a Devil’s Advocate Approach. In 1587, the Roman Catholic Church created the position of Promoter of the Faith – commonly referred to as the Devil’s Advocate. To insure a candidate for sainthood met the qualification of being canonized, the role of the Devil’s Advocate was to be the skeptic (loyal to the institution), looking for reasons why not to canonize the individual. Similarly, Leaders must embrace the concept of employing a devil’s advocate approach to identifying 2nd/3rd order and evil effects of technology – if not designating a devil’s advocate with the right expertise to identify assumptions, risks, and effects. But creating any devil’s advocate or “risk identification” positions is only useful if their input is seriously considered.
Embrace the Suck. Lastly, if we are serious in identifying the 2nd/3rd order and evil effects, Frye Wos Boots Ankle US 7 B Brown Leather Beige Canvas Pull On Rockabilly 129Womens Patent Leather Square Toe Buckle Strap Med Block Heel Ankle Boots NEW I24to include identifying new dependencies, ethical issues, or other issues which challenge the adaption or development of a new technology or policy – then we must be honest, resilient, and tough. There will be setbacks, delays, and frustration.
Technology holds the power to improve and change our personal and professional lives. For the military, technology changes the ways wars are fought (i.e., the character of war), but it may also change the nature of war by potentially reducing the “human dimension” in war. If robotics, AI, and other technological developments eliminate “danger, physical exertion, intelligence and friction,”17 is war easier to wage? Will technology increase its potential frequency? Will technology create a further separation between the military and the population by decreasing the number of personnel needed? These may be some of the 2nd/3rd order and “evil” effects we need to consider.
If you enjoyed this post, please see Dr. Marsella’s previous post “Second/Third Order, and Evil Effects” – The Dark Side of Technology (Womens Chunky Heels Patent Leather Mid Calf Ankle short Boots Shoes Black lady)
– Fashion Over The Knee High Boots Womens Block Heel Real Leather Party Shoes Sz, by Dr. Nir Buras