- Nine West Womens HIPPY CHIC Leather Round Toe Ankle Fashion Grey Size 9.0 0BJ4
- Naturalizer Kiersten Knee High Boots 6.5 M Brown Women Block Heels
- Zara Basic Women's Boot Pink Velvet Zip Up Ankle Boot Size Euro 41 US 10
- MICHEAL MICHEAL KORS WOMENS TATUM BOOTIES BLK SUEDE SZ 10 E U C 5" HEELS
- Antelope 356 Ankle Booties Taupe Women's Boots 356-TaupeSL Size 39 EUR
- Vans Sk8-HI Palm Leaf Sneakers green 3595876105 - mens US10.5
- NEW Vince - Manny Suede Derby Shoes / MSRP $320 / Size 11 / Light Grey
- Daniele Alessandrini Shoes Sz. 43 Leather ITALY Man Blk F10003507-1 MAKE OFFER
- Teva Omnium Mens Sandals Athletic Closed Toe US 11.5 Brown 6148 hiking
- Easy Street Women's Marcie Mary Jane Flat - Choose SZ/Color
- Adidas Y-3 Retro Boost men Size 7.5 Black
- Adidas Originals SL LOOP MOC Mesa Brown Poppy C77014 Mens flux tubular SZ 10.5M
- JUSTIN "Conductor" men's USA made boots, retail $175, sz. 7M
- DICKIES 506003GY Mens Rook Steel Toe EH Industrial Boot Shoe SIZE 13
- Punk Mens Leather Pointed Toe Buckle Punk Shoes Chelsea Ankle Riding Boots Show
- Khombu Summit Men's Leather Hiking Outdoor Boots Black Retail $49.99
- ROCKY 5001 DUTY TMC DUTY SERIES BOOTS BLACK POSTAL APPROVED MENS SIZE 9.5 WIDE
- Beautiful Vintage Montana Brown Leather Boots Sz 6 1/2 D
- men's shoes FDF SHOES 7 () elegant white leather BZ383-B
- Men's/Women's Nautilus Men's N1340 Grey Slip-Resistant (Non-Skid) Various styles Strong value British temperament
- Christian Louboutin Beige Decoltish Liege Lame Gold Cork Stiletto Pumps Size EU 38.5 (Approx. US 8.5) Regular (M, B)
- Christian Louboutin Gold Velvet Ankle Wrap 140mm Sandals Size EU 40 (Approx. US 10) Regular (M, B)
- J.Crew Cognac Boots/Booties Size US 8 Regular (M, B)
- Adidas D Rose Englewood II 2 G98279 Night Shade/Slime/White Basketball Men Shoe
- NIKE Men's Vapor Untouchable Shark 3 FCP Football Cleat
- Nike Flex 2017 RN Mens 898457-001 Black White Grey Mesh Running Shoes Size 8
- Scarpe ADIDAS Donna BIANCO/VERDE Inserti in pelle,Tessuto M20324
- Nike Air Max 90 Premium Palm Green/Sail (443817-301) Wmn Sz 5
- Nike Women's Air Max Thea Prm Running Shoe
- Womens Rivet Zip Front Ankle Riding Motorcycle Boots Pointed Toe Stilettos F312
- NEW MEN'S NIKE air force 1 mid '07 315123-046
- NIKE SF AF1 MID 917753 004 DARK GREY/LIGHT BONE WHITE - SPECIAL FIELD AIR FORCE
- Charles David Women's Divina Pump,Navy,38.5 Medium EU (8,8.5,9 US)
- Howsty Women's Midki Suede and Wool Kilim Tall Boot Retail $285 size 9
- Earth "Charm" Brown Leather Slides/Mules Kalso Size 11 Womens 9 Men 41/42 EU
- Women's Flats Pointy Toe Rhinestones Faux Suede Hidden Wedge Heel Bowknot Shoes
- CHLOE Black Leather Pointed Toe Ballet Flats Size Women's 9/39.5
- Leisure Womens Flats Slip On Shoes Retro Sandals Round Toes Ballet Boat Loafers
- MERRELL Ladies 'EMBER' Ballet Flats-Brown Leather Sz. 7 M NIB
- El Naturalista Women's Leaves N5001 Mule - Choose SZ/Color
- Pin Up Couture Women's Flapper 11 T-Strap Mary Jane Pink Faux Leather Heels
- Demonia Women's Damned 302 Stretch Thigh-High Boot Black Stretch Vegan Leather
- K-Swiss Women's Gen-K Icon Knit Sneaker Neutral Gray/Bone Sneakers
- Frye Women's Melissa Pull On Boot Black Tumbled Buffalo Leather
- Alegria Women's Isabelle Mule,Cream,37 BR/7-7.5 M US
- S.T. DUBANT HAND MADE BLACK LEATHER LOAFERS MENS SIZE 43(10-10.5)
- Handmade Jutti Camel Leather Men Mojari Jooti Black Khussa Shoe US 10
- Kenneth Cole Reaction Think Big high tops, size 12
- MENS REAL LEATHER CHELSEA DEALER BROGUE BLACK TAN LEATHER SOLE ANKLE BOOTS SHOES
- SANUK RANDOLPH NATURAL SIDEWALK SURFER SLIP ON BOAT MEN`S SHOES SIZE US 9 NEW
- RAMPAGE WOMENS RED COWBOY BOOTS SIZE 8 1/2 M
- Men/Women ZIGI SOHO Women's Karsten Winter Boot Clever and practical The latest technology Different styles and styles
- M4D3 Felix Chelsea Leather Slip-On Boot!! New!! Msrp $160.00 Sz. 8.5
- SALE PLEASER Sexy 4" Heel Brown Knee High Boots w/ Buckle Large Sizes 14
- Vince Camuto Womens Paton Leather Closed Toe Knee High Fashion Boots
- Man/Woman Stacy Adams Men's Barstow Oxford economic Trendy professional design
- Vans "Slip-On Pro" Sneakers (Coffee/Teak) Men's Classic Slip On Skate Shoes
- Florsheim Mens Bremer Black Oxfords shoe Sz: 9
- Polo Ralph Lauren Green Blue Chevron Big Pony Flip Flops Shoes 10
- Men/Women VENETO ITALIAN TASSEL LOAFER SIZE 8.5B Exquisite (middle) workmanship Fast delivery Non-slip
- NIKE AIR JORDAN FLIGHT ORIGIN 3 SIZE 9.5
- Frisky Motex Aqua Shoes Men's Size 13 Black/Volt
- Hi-Tec Altitude V Men's Dark Chocolate Low I WP Hiking Shoes 6M
- DURAMAX SAFETY FOOTWEAR WORK BOOTS, SIZE 4, 33J896 (LS2022*A)
- Trail Hiking Men Boots Athletic Waterproof Outdoor Shoes Non Slip Ankle Boots
- Fashion New mens pointy toe zip casual dress British Formal Ankle Boots shoes SZ
- Cowboy Boots Bota Vaquera El General (Spcls) Piel Imit. Caiman Cola ID 120707
- Classic Vintage Padded Brown Leather Hiking Boots w/Vibram Soles US Men's 5 LOOK
- Men's/Women's Made in Italy HUGO BOSS Boots Louis, elaborate Environmentally friendly Brand feast
- Aquazzura Cognac Tulum Flats Size US 9.5 Regular (M, B)
- Christian Louboutin Black Ishtar 100 Leather Ankle Heel 37 Boots/Booties Size US 7 Regular (M, B)
- Manolo Blahnik Blue Ottolina Suede Ottolina Hangisi Crystal T-strap Thong Sandals Size US 8 Regular (M, B)
- Nike Zoom Train Complete Amp Men's training shoe Super Bowl edition 882152 001
- Nike Lebron IX 9 Low Wolf Grey White Dynamic Blue Fireberry Mens Size 11.5 Shoes
- NIB ADIDAS PURE BOOST X TR AF5926 WOMENS RUNNING SHOES Black Size 10
- NIKE AIR HUARACHE ID WMNS RED OCTOBER SIZE 9.5 777331-972
- Women Vogue Tassel High Heels Stilettos Faux Suede Fringe Knee High Boots Shoes
- Roma Womens Rivet Platform Cuban Heel Warm Zip Fur Lining Knee High Boots US4-11
- Georgia G5514 Mens Mississippi Brown Pull-On Muddog Comfort Core Work Boots
- Man/Woman: Nike SB Dunk: good quality
- 318775-101 Nike Air Force 1 07 Low Premium -Max 90 Edition White Grey Infrared
- Air Force 1 '07 " All Star 2011 " Black/Wolf Grey Mens Shoes 315122-046 Size 10
- CLARKS Women's Swansea Grove Motorcycle Boot, Black Suede, 5.5 M US
- Carlos by Carlos Santana Women's Gamon Fashion Boot
- Woolrich Women's Leeward Skimmer Cherry Flats 8M
- Calvin Klein Pennie Black Leather Pointy Toe Flats Size 7.5M EUC! Retail $90
- Chic Womens Leather Low Block Heel Slip on Loafers Casual Shoes Driving Moccasin
- Klogs Brisbane Women's Closed-back Clog Black Smooth - 9 Medium
- Dansko Women's Hazel 3-Strap Mary Jane Black Suede Leather Upper 4504-020200
- Finn Comfort Ikebukuro Casual Shoes Womens Size 4, Beige
- WMNS NIKE AIR MAX 1 VT QS PATENT BLACK-SAIL SZ 6 [615868-002]
- Helly Hansen Women's Flying Skip Sneaker Navy/Living Coral/Blue Dove/Off White
- Asics Womens Gel Kayano 25 Shoes 1012A026 color Carbon/Mid Grey Size 9.5
- Josef Seibel Black Leather Oxford Comfort Walking Shoe Women's US 9-9.5
- Drew Women's Phoebe Bone Leather Slip-Resistant (Non-Skid)
- Naot Jeff Men Clogs Slides Sandals Shoes Leather Slippers Slip On Oxfords New
- NWOB Nautica Gray Boyle Retro Sneakers - 13
- Mens New Oxfords Board Shoes Soft Faux Leather Dress Shoes Retro Leisure Loafers
- Gentlemen/Ladies PUMA Men's Rs100 Opulence Fashion Sneaker Good design modern Amoy
- Mens Adidas Rockadia Trail Running Black Sport Athletic Shoes CG3982 Sizes 8-15
- Gentlemen/Ladies Bandolino Black BD Cavanna Riding Boot Excellent craft Low price Perfect processing
- BLONDO Womens Brown Waterproof Leather Ankle Boots Sz 8.5 D
- Halston Camel Tall Shaft Boots Amy Stacked Heel Inside Zipper size 7M
- Ash Womens Lenny Ankle Bootie /- Pick SZ/Color.
- Sabara Revitalign Carrillo Winter Ankle Boots Grey 9.5US/40EU Display
[Editor’s Note: In Part I of this series, Dr. Nick Marsella addressed the duty we have to examine our assumptions about emergent warfighting technologies / capabilities and their associated implications to identify potential second / third order and “evil” effects. Nike Wmns Air Max 95 Women Barely Grey Light Pumice White New Shoes 307960-013WOMEN'S NIKE AIR FOAMPOSITE 1 PARTICLE BEIGE/PARTICLE BEIGE-WHITE AA3963-200 NEW In today’s post, he prescribes five actions we can embrace both individually and as organizations to avoid confirmation bias and falling into cognitive thinking traps when confronting the ramifications of emergent technologies — Enjoy!]
In part I of my blog post, I advised those advocating for the development and/or fielding of technology to be mindful of the second/third order and possible “evil” effects. I defined “evil” as an unexpected and profound negative implication(s) of the adoption/adaption of a technology and related policy. I also recommended heeding the admonition of Tim Cook, Apple’s CEO, to take responsibility for our technological creations and have the courage to think things through their potential implications – both for the good and the bad.
But even if we as individuals are willing to challenge our assumptions and think broadly and imaginatively, we can still come up short. Why? The answer is due in part to the challenges of prediction and the fact we are human with both great cognitive abilities, but also weaknesses.
First, common sense and many theorists remind us that the future is unknowable.WOMENS REEBOK CROSSFIT NANO 8.0 FLEXWEAVE TRAINING SHOES - ALL SIZESNike Air Force 1 Explorer XX THE 1 REIMAGINED AO1524-100 NEW 100% AuthenticThe futurist Arthur C. Clark noted in 1962, “It is impossible to predict the future, and all attempts to do in any detail appear ludicrous within a very few years.” Within this fixed condition of unknowing, the U.S. Departments of Defense and the Army must make choices to determine:
– what capabilities we desire and its related technology;
– where to invest in research and development; and
As Michael E. Raynor pointed out in his book, AHNU MONTARA III BOOT EVENT BLUE SPELL LEATHER HIKING WOMEN'S BOOTS SIZE US 8.5, making choices and developing strategies, which include adopting new technology, where the future is unknowable and “deeply unpredictable” either produces monumental successes or monumental failures.Puma X Rihanna Fenty Fierce BLACK NEW UK5Nike Studio Wrap 2 Cheetah Print Women's Training Shoe 641529 003 For a company this can spell financial ruin, while for the Army, it can spell disaster and the loss of Soldiers’ lives and national treasure. Yet, we must also choose a “way ahead” – often by considering “boundaries” – in a sense the left and right limits – of potential implications.
Second, our ability to predict when technology will become available is often in error nor can we accurately determine its implications. For example, in a New York Times editorial on December 8, 1903, it noted: “A man carrying airplane will eventually be built, Nike Air max plus PRM wmns trainers sneaker 848891 400 eu 38 us 7 NEW+BOXMan/Woman AUTHENTIC ASICS GEL-NIMBUS 16 T485N 0128 Ideal gift for all occasions Moderate cost Different goodsbut only if mathematicians and engineers work steadily for the next ten million years.”5 The Wright Brothers first flight took place the following week, but it took decades for commercial and military aviation to evolve.
Each of the services has faced force modernization challenges due to the adoption of technologies that weren’t mature enough; whose capabilities were over-promised; or did not support operations in the envisioned Operational Environment. For the U.S. Army, Future Combat Systems (FCS) was the most obvious and recent example of this challenge – costing billions of dollars and, just as importantly, lost time and confidence.Nike AIR MAX 90 Wmn Sz 11 312052-117 White Leather Running Shoes Old SchoolBrand New WMNS Nike Zoom Fly Athletic Fashion Sneakers [897821 100]
Third, in terms of future technology, predictions vary widely. For example, predictions by MIT’s Rodney Brooks and futurist/inventor Ray Kurzweil vary widely to the question – “What year do you think human-level Artificial Intelligence [AI, i.e., a true thinking machine] might be achieved with a 50% probability?” Kurzweil predicts AI (as defined) will be available in 2029, while Brooks is a bit more conservative – the year 2200 – a difference of over 170 years.On Cloud Sea Stone Green Pink Swiss Athletic Running Sneaker Shoe 6.5 NewNike Air Zoom Mariah FK Flyknit Racer Pale Grey [AA0521 002] Women's Size: 6.5
While one can understand the difficulty of predicting when “general AI” will be available, other technologies offer similar difficulties. The vision of the “self-driving” autonomous vehicle was first written about and experimented with in the 1920s, yet technological limitations, legal concerns, customer fears, and other barriers make implementing this capability challenging.
Lastly, as Rodney Brooks has highlighted, Nike Air Force 1 Womens White High Top Tennis Shoes 315187-111 2006 Sz 10 maintains:
“we tend to overestimate the effect of a technology in the short run and underestimate the effect in the long run.”Asics women's gel kayano 24 running shoes black phantom white size 10 us
SECOND, THIRD ORDER AND EVIL EFFECTS
– intentionally focus on the positive effects of adopting a technology;
– ignore the experts and those who identify the potential downside of technology; and
– fail to think thorough the short, long, and potentially dangerous effects or dependencies – imaginatively.
We do this because we are human, and more often because we fall into the confirmation bias or other cognitive thinking traps that might affect our program or pet technology. As noted by RAND in Truth Decay:Nike WMNS Classic Cortez Leather [807471-010] Women Casual Shoes Black/WhiteVIONIC WOMENS JOEY CASUAL SNEAKER TAUPE SIZE 7
“Cognitive biases and the ways in which human beings process information and make decisions cause people to look for information, opinion, and analyses that confirm preexisting beliefs, to weigh experience more heavily than data and facts, and then to rely on mental shortcuts and the beliefs of those in the same social networks when forming opinions and making decisions.”9
Yet, the warning signs or signals for many unanticipated effects can be found simply by conducting a literature review of government, think tank, academic, and popular reports (to perhaps include science fiction). This may deter some, given the sheer volume of literature is often overwhelming, but contained within these reports are many of the challenges associated with future technology, such as: the potential for deep fakes, loss of privacy, hacking,Cole Haan Women's 2.Zerogrand Stitchlite Oxfords Black Knit-Optic White W11511Women's Nike SF Air Force 1 Mid Shoes Black Dark Hazel SZ 7.5 [AA3966 003] accidents, deception, and loss of industries/jobs.
At the national level, both the current and previous administrations published reports on AI, as has the Department of Defense – some more balanced in addressing of issues of fairness, safety, governance, and ethics.10
For example, using photo recognition to help law enforcement and others seems like a great idea, yet its use is increasingly being questioned. This past May, San Francisco became the first city to ban its use, and others may follow suit.11 While some question this decision to ban vice impose a moratorium until the technology produces less errors, the question remains – did the developers and policy makers consider if there would be push back to its introduction given its current performance?Adidas Originals FLB_Runner W [DB2119] Women Casual Shoes Aero Pink/WhiteWomen's Nike Air Max 90 Ultra 2.0 Flyknit Shoes Black Rainbow 881109 001 Size 8 What sources did they consult?
Another challenge is language. You’ve seen the commercials – “there is much we can do with AI” – in farming, business, and even beer making. While “AI” is a clever tag line, it may invoke unnecessary fear and misunderstanding. For example, I believe for most people equate “robotics” and “AI” with the “Terminator” franchise, raising the fear of uncontrolled autonomous military force overwhelming humanity. Even worse – under the moniker of “AI,” we will buy into “snake-oil” propositions.
We are at least decades away from “general AI” where a “system exhibits apparently intelligence behavior at least as advanced as a person” across the “full range of cognitive tasks,” but we continue to flaunt the use of “AI” without elaboration.Nike Air Huarache City Multi Aqua Black Racer Pink New Womens 7.5 AH6787-400Puma Fenty by Rihanna Bow Sneaker 'Sweet Lavender' 365054-03 Women's Size 7.5
SOME ACTIONS TO TAKE
Embrace a learning organization. Popularized by Peter Senge’s The Fifth Discipline: The Art and Practice of the Learning Organization (1990), a learning organization is a place “where people continually expand their capacity to create the results they truly desire, where new and expansive patterns of thinking are nurtured, where collective aspiration is set free, and where people are continually learning how to learn together.”Nike WMNS Air Zoom Pegasus 34 880560-406 Pink/Mica Blue Women's Running Shoes While some question whether we can truly make a learning organization, Senge’s thinking may help solve our problem of identifying 2nd/3rd order and evil effects.
First, we must embrace new and expansive patterns of thinking. Force developers use the acronym – “DOTMPLF-P” as shorthand for Doctrine, Organization, Training, Materiel, Personnel, Leadership, Facilities, and Policy implications – yet other factors might be as important.
For example, trust in automated or robotics systems must be instilled and measured. In one poll, 73% of respondents noted they would be afraid of riding in a fully autonomous vehicle – up 10% points from the previous year.14 What if we develop a military autonomous vehicle or a leader-follower system and one or more of our host nation allies prohibits its use? What happens if an accident occurs and the host population protests, Nike Air Force 1 Hi SE Phantom Iron Ore 860544-001 Wmn Sz 7ALTRA Footwear Womens Lone Peak 3.0 NeoShell Trail Running Shoe Size 8arguing that the Americans don’t care for their safety?
Technologists and concept developers must move from being stove-piped in labs and single-focused to consider the broader view of technological implications across functions.
Embrace Humility. Given that we cannot predict the future and its potential consequences, developers must seek out diversified opinions, and more importantly, recognize divergent opinions.
Embrace the Data. In New York City during World War II, a small organization of some of the most brilliant minds in America worked in the office of the “Applied Mathematics Panel.” In Europe, the 8th U.S. Air Force suffered from devastating bomber losses. NIKE AIR MAX 97 PINNACLE QS BLACK-GLACIER BLUE AH9153 001 Sz 5.5Y-WOMENS Sz 7WMNS NIKE FLYKNIT MAX TOTAL ORANGE-BLACK-PINK-FIREBERRY [620659-800] 8Leaders wondered where best to reinforce the bombers with additional armor without significantly increasing their weight to improve survivability. Reports indicated returning bombers suffered gunfire hits over the wings and fuselage, but not in the tail or cockpits, so to the casual observer it made sense to reinforce the wings and fuselage where the damage was clearly visible.
Abraham Wald, a mathematician, worked on the problem. He noted that reinforcing the spots where damage was evident in returning aircraft wasn’t necessarily the best course of action, given that hits to the cockpit and tail were probably causing aircraft (and aircrew) losses during the mission. In a series of memorandums, he developed a “method of estimating plane vulnerability based on damage of survivors.” As Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s Sherlock Holmes noted more than 100 years ago, “It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”Under Armour UA Speedform Gemini 3 [1285481-005] Women Running Shoes Black/GreyVIONIC Hiking Shoes Cypress Beige Brown/Mauve Leather H2O Resistant Women's $130
Additionally, we need to reinforce our practice of performing quality literature reviews to aid in our identification of these issues.
Employ Skepticism and a Devil’s Advocate Approach. In 1587, the Roman Catholic Church created the position of Promoter of the Faith – commonly referred to as the Devil’s Advocate. To insure a candidate for sainthood met the qualification of being canonized, the role of the Devil’s Advocate was to be the skeptic (loyal to the institution), looking for reasons why not to canonize the individual. Similarly, Leaders must embrace the concept of employing a devil’s advocate approach to identifying 2nd/3rd order and evil effects of technology – if not designating a devil’s advocate with the right expertise to identify assumptions, risks, and effects. But creating any devil’s advocate or “risk identification” positions is only useful if their input is seriously considered.
Embrace the Suck. Lastly, if we are serious in identifying the 2nd/3rd order and evil effects, Nike Air Force 1 Hi SE Phantom Iron Ore 860544-001 Wmn Sz 9MIZUNO WAVE CREATION 15 WOMENS SIZE 6.5 RUNNING WORKOUT JOGGING GYM SHOES NEWto include identifying new dependencies, ethical issues, or other issues which challenge the adaption or development of a new technology or policy – then we must be honest, resilient, and tough. There will be setbacks, delays, and frustration.
Technology holds the power to improve and change our personal and professional lives. For the military, technology changes the ways wars are fought (i.e., the character of war), but it may also change the nature of war by potentially reducing the “human dimension” in war. If robotics, AI, and other technological developments eliminate “danger, physical exertion, intelligence and friction,”17 is war easier to wage? Will technology increase its potential frequency? Will technology create a further separation between the military and the population by decreasing the number of personnel needed? These may be some of the 2nd/3rd order and “evil” effects we need to consider.
If you enjoyed this post, please see Dr. Marsella’s previous post “Second/Third Order, and Evil Effects” – The Dark Side of Technology (EMPORIO ARMANI EA7 WOMEN'S SHOES TRAINERS SNEAKERS NEW CLASSIC SEA WORLD R 16A)
– SAUCONY WOMEN'S SHOES SUEDE TRAINERS SNEAKERS NEW JAZZ ORIGINAL BLACK 528, by Dr. Nir Buras