- Sperry Top Siders Brown Leather Dress Casual Mens 12M
- Clarks Mens US 13 M Bicycle toe Slip On Loafers Brown Leather Upper
- Ozark Trail Men's Sandals Shoes 11M HookNLoop Straps Walking Sandals Tan 2542871
- Traditional Handmade Juti Leather Loafers Indian Men Shoes Khussa Flat US 8.5
- Khombu Gracie Suede Ankle Winter Snow Boots Faux Fur Brown Women’s Size 9 WARM
- FOLK - FOLK CLOTHING - ‘LUCY’ SHOE BOOTS / TAN SUEDE / / RRP
- Ladies Boots No Shoes Lessons Black Micro Knee High Wedge Boot Size 6-11 Wedges
- Free People + Faryl Robin Dover Ankle Boot Size 7 $248 New Distressed Leather
- Rockport - Courtlyn Fur Low Boot size 38 - 7,5 US
- Men's Rockport City Routes CR Bike Mudguard Oxford M79010 Burnt Orange Brand New
- Authentic New Men’s TOM FORD Crawford Pebbled Driving Black Loafer,size7T=7.5US
- Polo Ralph Lauren Whittlebury II Flip Flops Navy Multi Men Sz 9 D NWT
- Aladdin Shoes Leather Khussa shoes Gents Shoes sherwani shoes Punjabi juti US-11
- Preowned Loafers Tod’s. Size: lady eu 39.5 driving moc Moccasins
- Man's/Woman's mens black A-ONE shoes size 9.5 durable Wholesale trade Authentic guarantee
- Converse Chuck Taylor All Star Black Canvas High Top Shoes Size Mens 5 Womens 7
- Dakota 8'' Composite Toe Mammoth Men's Dark Brown Work Boot 10.5M
- Bota Vaquera Imit Aguila Real (Spcls) Piel Imit Caiman Panza ID 23544 PW1 Hueso
- Smoky Mountain Men's Bomber Cowboy Boot - Medium Toe - 4031
- Mens Brown Tough Durable Rubber Sole Slip Resistant Boots Shoes Zipper
- Rockport Mens Hiking Boots Size 10.5 (E, W) (38265)
- Polo Ralph Lauren Men's Faxon Low Sneaker Navy Canvas / Corduroy 816690282-004
- Jimmy Choo Blue Men Sloane Loafers Formal Shoes Size US 11.5 Regular (M, B)
- Christian Louboutin Super High Platforms Size EU 39 (Approx. US 9) Regular (M, B)
- Adidas Men's AlphaBounce EM Black/Grey BY4263 Sz 8 - 13
- men's shoes MBT 6 / 6,5 () sneakers black blue textile dynamic BY695-40
- MEN'S ADIDAS BARRICADE Court BB6891 TENNIS RUNNING SHOES silver sizes 8-9.5
- Christian Louboutin Coral Kasia Heel Sandals Size EU 39.5 (Approx. US 9.5) Regular (M, B)
- Nike HyperDunk 08 Size 9 Pink 820321 600
- MENS NIKE AIR SHOW ELITE 2 BLACK BASEBALL METAL SPIKES Size 8.5 NEW
- Women Adidas DA8789 lNIKI Running shoes pink white sneakers
- Nike Huarache Drift GS Black Anthracite White Kid Youth Running Shoes 943344-008
- Adidas Sports Performance Response 2 Graphic Womens Trainers AQ5055 U71
- Vintage Salvatore Ferragamo Size 7.5 AA Brown Leather Carla Knee High Boots
- Nike Air Max 95 Ultra Se Men Trainers,size bnwb
- Nike Air Huarache Utilità Uomo Scarpe Sportive 806807 100 da Ginnastica Svendita
- Koolaburra K'VRRA Tall Black Foil Flour Boots sz 6 women cross art sheepskin new
- New Anne Klein AK Winka Sz 10 Brown Booties Полусапожки Braun WILDLEDER Stiefel
- JAMBU JBU Cordova Women's Black Leather/Textile Slip On Clogs Shoes Size 6.5 M
- BELLINI Gray Suede Strap And Silver Tone Buckle Top Accent Loafers Sz 7.5 B3985
- NEW Romena BEIGE SUEDE SHOES US SIZE 7,5M HAND MADE IN SPAIN
- STUART WEITZMAN Size 8 Black Patent Leather Loafers Made in Spain
- Salvatore Ferragamo Women's Shoes (Yellow Tones, Flats, 8 1/2, Authentic)
- KEEN TERRADORA WOMENS AUSTRAL in Astral Aura
- Vans X Peanuts Classic Slip On Charlie Brown Tree Women's Size 6
- Asics Tartherzeal 6 Flash Yellow Neon Lime Women Running Shoes Sneaker T870N-750
- Women Adidas BY2691 Pureboost X ATR Running shoes black sneakers
- SKECHERS WORK RELAXED FIT WOMEN'S 8.5 SHOES SN 76551 BLACK FREE SHIPPING!
- Man/Woman Dansko Professional Clog 37 Brown Leather Excellent value Reliable performance Elegant and robust menu
- Berluti Mens Trainers Sneakers Playtime White Blue Leather Shoes US 10 43
- Clarks Mens Size 11 Andy Camel Suede Flannnel Lined Moccasins Loafers Slippers
- New Steve Madden Maddox Black Slip-On Leather Loafers/ $80
- adidas Originals Mens Pro Model Green Fashion Sneakers 12.5 Medium (D) BHFO 0956
- LACOSTE PAYFORD 5 SRM DK GRY/BLK TEXTILE/SUEDE/LEATHER
- Tatie Roma women's Brown Leather Boots 37 From Italy us sz 7
- $110 Steve Madden Womens P-Ada Suede Slouch Bootie Shoe, Grey, US 7.5
- MIA Maylynn Womens Faux Shearling Lined Hiking Boot - Black US Size 6 NWOB
- Cotswold Polar Waterproof Womens Snow Boots UK3-8
- Domald J. Pliner Boots Size 6.5 Womems Owen Black Leather Knee High Boots
- NIKE SB ZOOM STEFAN JANOSKI MID - BLACK / NIGHTFACTOR BLUE 443095 336 SZ 7
- Florsheim Men's Kenmoor Wingtip Oxford Cognac 17109-03
- MONCLER sneakers man shoes in fabric and suede HORACE model blue + red
- Schneider Camo Khaki Mens MADE IN KOREA Sandal Shoes Stylish Summer Beach_Ac
- Softinos by Fly London Women's Imo Sneaker Mule Red Leather Sizes 37-41
- Black Men athletic shoes size 11 free shipping
- 2014 Nike Air Jordan 3 III Retro SZ 9 Wolf Grey Metallic Silver Black 136064-004
- HERMAN SURVIVORS THINSULATE MENS 7 BOOTS EUC
- Christian Louboutin Black Decollete 868 Pumps Size EU 38.5 (Approx. US 8.5) Regular (M, B)
- Christian Louboutin Black Roller Boat Flat Suede Spike Low Top Sneaker Sneakers Size EU 39 (Approx. US 9) Regular (M, B)
- Boden Tan Sandals Wedges Size US 9 Regular (M, B)
- Men's/Women's Dickies Javelin - Black - Mens superior high quality Authentic guarantee
- Mens Shoes Thicken Warm Pull On Pu Leather Warm Winter Indoor Snow Boots Shoes
- Tactical Boots Black 6" Military Police Security EMT EMS First Responder 5054
- Fila Men's F-13 Weather Tech Hiking Boot, Wheat/Espresso/Medium Gold, 11 M US
- Steve Madden Mens Harken Chukka Boot Cognac Leather Size 9 Distressed Comfort
- New Donald Pliner Alondro Leather Driving Moccasins Loafers Brown Men's Sz 9
- Mens Kenneth Cole New York Bailey Sneaker In Cognac [KMU8027LE 901]
- Puma Smash Leather, Women’s Tennis Shoes White (White/Black) 8
[Editor’s Note: In Part I of this series, Dr. Nick Marsella addressed the duty we have to examine our assumptions about emergent warfighting technologies / capabilities and their associated implications to identify potential second / third order and “evil” effects. Women's Nike Dualtone Racer Casual Shoes Silt Red Off White Sail 917682 601 9.5Nike Cortez classic Forrest Gump White Red blue 807471-103 Women's 10.5 men's 9 In today’s post, he prescribes five actions we can embrace both individually and as organizations to avoid confirmation bias and falling into cognitive thinking traps when confronting the ramifications of emergent technologies — Enjoy!]
In part I of my blog post, I advised those advocating for the development and/or fielding of technology to be mindful of the second/third order and possible “evil” effects. I defined “evil” as an unexpected and profound negative implication(s) of the adoption/adaption of a technology and related policy. I also recommended heeding the admonition of Tim Cook, Apple’s CEO, to take responsibility for our technological creations and have the courage to think things through their potential implications – both for the good and the bad.
But even if we as individuals are willing to challenge our assumptions and think broadly and imaginatively, we can still come up short. Why? The answer is due in part to the challenges of prediction and the fact we are human with both great cognitive abilities, but also weaknesses.
First, common sense and many theorists remind us that the future is unknowable.Skechers 12157-BKTQ Womens Relaxed Fit Sport Empire - Rock Around BlackPuma Fierce evoKnit High Top Athletic Sneakers 817, Black/White, 7 US / 37.5 EUThe futurist Arthur C. Clark noted in 1962, “It is impossible to predict the future, and all attempts to do in any detail appear ludicrous within a very few years.” Within this fixed condition of unknowing, the U.S. Departments of Defense and the Army must make choices to determine:
– what capabilities we desire and its related technology;
– where to invest in research and development; and
As Michael E. Raynor pointed out in his book, adidas Women's Lite Racer w Running Shoe - Choose SZ/Color, making choices and developing strategies, which include adopting new technology, where the future is unknowable and “deeply unpredictable” either produces monumental successes or monumental failures.NIB White+ Neon Orange Newton Women Running Shoes Motion Model Size 6 USWomen's New Balance WW769 Hiking Shoe-----New in Box------ For a company this can spell financial ruin, while for the Army, it can spell disaster and the loss of Soldiers’ lives and national treasure. Yet, we must also choose a “way ahead” – often by considering “boundaries” – in a sense the left and right limits – of potential implications.
Second, our ability to predict when technology will become available is often in error nor can we accurately determine its implications. For example, in a New York Times editorial on December 8, 1903, it noted: “A man carrying airplane will eventually be built, Puma Men's NRGY Neko knit Black Size 13Puma R698 Mesh-Neoprene JR Blue Orange Kids Youth Running Shoes 359711-06but only if mathematicians and engineers work steadily for the next ten million years.”5 The Wright Brothers first flight took place the following week, but it took decades for commercial and military aviation to evolve.
Each of the services has faced force modernization challenges due to the adoption of technologies that weren’t mature enough; whose capabilities were over-promised; or did not support operations in the envisioned Operational Environment. For the U.S. Army, Future Combat Systems (FCS) was the most obvious and recent example of this challenge – costing billions of dollars and, just as importantly, lost time and confidence.NEW Womens MERRELL Andean Moc J227408C Black Sea Fog Violet Sneakers ShoesGentleman/Lady MIA Women's Teri-F Sneaker Consumer first Latest styles Shopping promotion
Third, in terms of future technology, predictions vary widely. For example, predictions by MIT’s Rodney Brooks and futurist/inventor Ray Kurzweil vary widely to the question – “What year do you think human-level Artificial Intelligence [AI, i.e., a true thinking machine] might be achieved with a 50% probability?” Kurzweil predicts AI (as defined) will be available in 2029, while Brooks is a bit more conservative – the year 2200 – a difference of over 170 years.Nike Primo Court Women's Suede Mid-Top Sneakers, 630656 515 Sizes 6-10 Mulberry/Adidas Women Superstar white core black running white C77153
While one can understand the difficulty of predicting when “general AI” will be available, other technologies offer similar difficulties. The vision of the “self-driving” autonomous vehicle was first written about and experimented with in the 1920s, yet technological limitations, legal concerns, customer fears, and other barriers make implementing this capability challenging.
Lastly, as Rodney Brooks has highlighted, New Nike Womens MD Runner 2 Running Shoes 916797-001 size 10 Black White maintains:
“we tend to overestimate the effect of a technology in the short run and underestimate the effect in the long run.”PUMA Women's Carson Mesh WN's Running Shoe
SECOND, THIRD ORDER AND EVIL EFFECTS
– intentionally focus on the positive effects of adopting a technology;
– ignore the experts and those who identify the potential downside of technology; and
– fail to think thorough the short, long, and potentially dangerous effects or dependencies – imaginatively.
We do this because we are human, and more often because we fall into the confirmation bias or other cognitive thinking traps that might affect our program or pet technology. As noted by RAND in Truth Decay:Skechers Performance Women's Go Walk 4 Select - Choose SZ/ColorAsh Footwear Joe Chain Strap Fashion Platform Sneakers, White/Gold Women's SZ 36
“Cognitive biases and the ways in which human beings process information and make decisions cause people to look for information, opinion, and analyses that confirm preexisting beliefs, to weigh experience more heavily than data and facts, and then to rely on mental shortcuts and the beliefs of those in the same social networks when forming opinions and making decisions.”9
Yet, the warning signs or signals for many unanticipated effects can be found simply by conducting a literature review of government, think tank, academic, and popular reports (to perhaps include science fiction). This may deter some, given the sheer volume of literature is often overwhelming, but contained within these reports are many of the challenges associated with future technology, such as: the potential for deep fakes, loss of privacy, hacking,NIB Under Armour Micro G Press TR Training 1285804-100 Womens Sz 7.5 - 9Man/Woman Adidas EQT Size 7.5 Women's White Not so expensive Quality First Seasonal hot sale accidents, deception, and loss of industries/jobs.
At the national level, both the current and previous administrations published reports on AI, as has the Department of Defense – some more balanced in addressing of issues of fairness, safety, governance, and ethics.10
For example, using photo recognition to help law enforcement and others seems like a great idea, yet its use is increasingly being questioned. This past May, San Francisco became the first city to ban its use, and others may follow suit.11 While some question this decision to ban vice impose a moratorium until the technology produces less errors, the question remains – did the developers and policy makers consider if there would be push back to its introduction given its current performance?Women's Adidas Ultra Boost ST Gray Purple White Black Running Trainers Sz 9.5Wmns Nike Lunarepic Low Flyknit OC Unlimited Olympic MultiColor Women 844863-999 What sources did they consult?
Another challenge is language. You’ve seen the commercials – “there is much we can do with AI” – in farming, business, and even beer making. While “AI” is a clever tag line, it may invoke unnecessary fear and misunderstanding. For example, I believe for most people equate “robotics” and “AI” with the “Terminator” franchise, raising the fear of uncontrolled autonomous military force overwhelming humanity. Even worse – under the moniker of “AI,” we will buy into “snake-oil” propositions.
We are at least decades away from “general AI” where a “system exhibits apparently intelligence behavior at least as advanced as a person” across the “full range of cognitive tasks,” but we continue to flaunt the use of “AI” without elaboration.Women's Adidas Ultra Boost X Running Athletic Shoes BB1696 Black Grey Size 8SPRING COURT B2S Black Nappa Leather High-Top Sneaker Womens 38 RRP$250-As New
SOME ACTIONS TO TAKE
Embrace a learning organization. Popularized by Peter Senge’s The Fifth Discipline: The Art and Practice of the Learning Organization (1990), a learning organization is a place “where people continually expand their capacity to create the results they truly desire, where new and expansive patterns of thinking are nurtured, where collective aspiration is set free, and where people are continually learning how to learn together.”NIB Nike Women's Tanjun Premium Low Top Sneakers,Particle Rose/Pink Sz 7.5 While some question whether we can truly make a learning organization, Senge’s thinking may help solve our problem of identifying 2nd/3rd order and evil effects.
First, we must embrace new and expansive patterns of thinking. Force developers use the acronym – “DOTMPLF-P” as shorthand for Doctrine, Organization, Training, Materiel, Personnel, Leadership, Facilities, and Policy implications – yet other factors might be as important.
For example, trust in automated or robotics systems must be instilled and measured. In one poll, 73% of respondents noted they would be afraid of riding in a fully autonomous vehicle – up 10% points from the previous year.14 What if we develop a military autonomous vehicle or a leader-follower system and one or more of our host nation allies prohibits its use? What happens if an accident occurs and the host population protests, Nike Wmns Air Max Sequent 2 Running Womens Shoes Platinum Blue 852465-014 size 8Women Adidas Sonic Drive Running Shoes White Sneakers Adidas Boost BA7784 NEWarguing that the Americans don’t care for their safety?
Technologists and concept developers must move from being stove-piped in labs and single-focused to consider the broader view of technological implications across functions.
Embrace Humility. Given that we cannot predict the future and its potential consequences, developers must seek out diversified opinions, and more importantly, recognize divergent opinions.
Embrace the Data. In New York City during World War II, a small organization of some of the most brilliant minds in America worked in the office of the “Applied Mathematics Panel.” In Europe, the 8th U.S. Air Force suffered from devastating bomber losses. Skechers Sport Women's Just Relax Fashion Sneaker - Choose SZ/ColorWmns Nike Air Huarache Run Ultra BR Breeze Orchid Women Running Shoes 833292-501Leaders wondered where best to reinforce the bombers with additional armor without significantly increasing their weight to improve survivability. Reports indicated returning bombers suffered gunfire hits over the wings and fuselage, but not in the tail or cockpits, so to the casual observer it made sense to reinforce the wings and fuselage where the damage was clearly visible.
Abraham Wald, a mathematician, worked on the problem. He noted that reinforcing the spots where damage was evident in returning aircraft wasn’t necessarily the best course of action, given that hits to the cockpit and tail were probably causing aircraft (and aircrew) losses during the mission. In a series of memorandums, he developed a “method of estimating plane vulnerability based on damage of survivors.” As Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s Sherlock Holmes noted more than 100 years ago, “It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”Womens Skechers Go Walk Lite Delightful Walking Lightweight Yoga Sneaker US 6-11New VANS Womens Old SkooL EMBOSSED SIDEWALL PINK VN0A38G1ODZ USW 5.5 - 8.5 TAKSE
Additionally, we need to reinforce our practice of performing quality literature reviews to aid in our identification of these issues.
Employ Skepticism and a Devil’s Advocate Approach. In 1587, the Roman Catholic Church created the position of Promoter of the Faith – commonly referred to as the Devil’s Advocate. To insure a candidate for sainthood met the qualification of being canonized, the role of the Devil’s Advocate was to be the skeptic (loyal to the institution), looking for reasons why not to canonize the individual. Similarly, Leaders must embrace the concept of employing a devil’s advocate approach to identifying 2nd/3rd order and evil effects of technology – if not designating a devil’s advocate with the right expertise to identify assumptions, risks, and effects. But creating any devil’s advocate or “risk identification” positions is only useful if their input is seriously considered.
Embrace the Suck. Lastly, if we are serious in identifying the 2nd/3rd order and evil effects, Mizuno Women's Wave Catalyst 2 Running Shoe, Purple/Orange Popsicle, 7.5 B USFrankie Stern Black Lizard Print Slip On Sneaker Size 38to include identifying new dependencies, ethical issues, or other issues which challenge the adaption or development of a new technology or policy – then we must be honest, resilient, and tough. There will be setbacks, delays, and frustration.
Technology holds the power to improve and change our personal and professional lives. For the military, technology changes the ways wars are fought (i.e., the character of war), but it may also change the nature of war by potentially reducing the “human dimension” in war. If robotics, AI, and other technological developments eliminate “danger, physical exertion, intelligence and friction,”17 is war easier to wage? Will technology increase its potential frequency? Will technology create a further separation between the military and the population by decreasing the number of personnel needed? These may be some of the 2nd/3rd order and “evil” effects we need to consider.
If you enjoyed this post, please see Dr. Marsella’s previous post “Second/Third Order, and Evil Effects” – The Dark Side of Technology (New Balance 779 Womens walking trail shoes sneakers Size 8 D wide water resist)
… as well as the following posts:Denver Broncos Bling Converse Women's Canvas Shoes size 8.5HOKA ONE ONE Mach Bluebird/White Neutral Running Shoes Womens Size 8.5
– Asics GT-2000 Womens Running Shoes Black Blue Fuchsia 6 2E EXTRA WIDE, by Dr. Nir Buras