- Clarks Mules Size 8.5 Red Leather Slides Buttons Womens Shoes Comfort Wedges
- Merrell Jungle Moc Slip On Shoe Woman Sz 7 Brown-Olive -Grip Sole Hiking Walking
- New Men's original KINGTREADS Black Diamond 8" tan safety boots 7 MADE IN CANADA
- BALMAIN 41 8 BLACK LEATHER SUEDE HIGH TOP SNEAKERS ITALY RARE
- Beige & Brown Fluevog Street Shoes 7 W9
- NEW LUGZ FREEMAN CLASSIC CASUAL STREET WEAR BOOT MFREMGV
- Sperry Top-Sider Men's A/O Buck Brown Boat Shoe 8.5M
- Ann Marino Bronze Leather Zip High Heel Tall Ankle Boots Size 8.5 M
- Women's Bearpaw 1257W Abby winter boots - size 11 - chestnut brown
- Dolce Vita Sibil Bootie - Women's Size 7.5, Black
- NWT Vince Camuto Burgundy Pemmey Leather Ankle Boots Size 7.5 Reg $235
- Kamik Women's Canuck Waterproof Winter Boots TW4 Black Size 7
- Ariat Work Men's Rebar Flex 6" Work Boot, Black, Sizes 9EE, 10EE & 12D, New
- TOTO H32606 - 2.4 Inches Elevator Height Increase Navy Blue Casual Boat Loafers
- New Original Nike Flex 2012 EXT Black White Running Shoes for Men Trainers NIB
- Men Leisure Casual Sandals Slips Breathable Fishermen Beach Close Toe Flat Shoes
- Munro New Cruise Gray Womens Shoes Size 6 M Flats MSRP $190
- Ecco Men's Leather Shoes Brown size 46 US 13
- Men's/Women's Nike Mens Running Shoes Size 11.5 Packaging diversity Fast delivery fine
- NEW! Men's HQ ISSUE Waterproof Leather Tactical Boots-Sz 9.5 M
- Lugz Boots Garvin Water Resistant Black Shoes Size 7.5
- Cowboy Mens Leather Military boots Desert Work Combat Ankle Boot Shoes 12-12
- Justin Mens Cowboy Boots Men's Sz. 8 D - Black Foot/Tan Leather Shaft
- VTG FRYE Leather Campus Boots Roper Style Western Cowboy Men's Size 10D
- Skechers Men's Relment-Songeo Hiking Boot - Choose SZ/Color
- Mens L.L. BEAN Shoes 8 1/2 D in Brown Allagash Bison Penny Loafer Vibram Sole
- Giuseppe Zanotti Floral Embroidered Velvet Betty Shanghai Sandals Size EU 39 (Approx. US 9) Regular (M, B)
- Christian Louboutin Gold/Ivory Follies Spike Formal Shoes Size US 9.5 Regular (M, B)
- Christian Louboutin Nude // Snakeskin Real Python Leather Platforms Size US 11 Regular (M, B)
- Rare NIKE Air Force 1 UNMITA Low Inside/Out Blk/Blk Max Orange US 13
- NEW REISS MENS PABLO CANVAS ESPADRILLES BROWN
- adidas Messi 16.3 AG men soccer cleats football NEW blue metallic silver S80536
- Nike Air Max Motion LW Premium Men's Classic Casual Lifestyle Trainers Black
- adidas pureboost CNY W B32696 sz 9.5 US black, red and white women's sneakers
- Womens Nike Flare LG QS Serena Williams 831309-414 - Tennis Photo Blue Trainer
- Saucony Originals Womens Jazz Lowpro Sneaker- Select SZ/Color.
- Madden Girl Womens Klash Closed Toe Knee High Fashion, Black Fabric, Size 6.0 h5
- LeBron 10 Low "Easter" sz. 11.5. - 9/10 condition- Original box, lightly worn
- Men's Nike Air Jordan 31 XXXI Low Sneakers Gym Red Action 897564-601 Size 8.5
- *Bottes Cuissardes Sexy Aspect Daim Bi-color Fashion Haut-Talon P35 - 46! NEUVES
- Fly london Salv Blue Leather Womens Ankle Boots
- HOT Fashion Women's Girl's Korean Espadrilles Shoes Flat Comfort Casual Loafers
- US FLIP FLOPS PUNJABI JUTTI KHUSSA SHOES BRIDAL SHOES JAIPURI MOJARI JOOTI DD967
- Loeffler Randall Lois Gold Womens Shoes Size 9 M Flats MSRP $295
- Dansko Women's Professional Grey Tooled Leather Clogs NEW!
- New Women's Clarks CLOUDSTEPPERS Sullivan Jetay Pewter Synthetic Size 9
- Arcopedico Womens Leina Black Flare Clog - 40
- adidas nmd raw pink US size 5.5
- ASICS T6L5N.9690 Womens Gel-KahanaTrail Runner- Choose SZ/Color.
- NEW WOMENS NIKE FREE RN (RUN) 2018 RUNNING SHOES TRAINERS BLACK / WHITE
- NEW Women's Fashion Classic Slip On Flat Round Toe Deck Shoes Size 5.5 - 11
- Wolverine Women's Nimble FX Steel Toe Work Boot Grey Mesh/Leather Steel Toe
- PRADA Blue Perforated Leather Driving Moccasins Casual Shoes BOX - / US 12
- Dr Scholls 66555 Men’s Beige Leather 1-Strap Air-Pillo Walking Shoes Sz 8M New
- RW by Robert Wayne Men's Fenmore Sneaker
- Bert Pulitzer Men's 12 M Brown Leather Boat Shoes Top Sider
- Polo Ralph Lauren Sneakers Jacory Newport Sneakers Navy 9.5
- FREE POSTAGE Brand New Topshop Louder Eyelet Grey Loafer Point Shoes Size 6
- Franco Sarto Womens Black Leather Western Cowboy Boots Size 9.5
- $139 BCBG BCBGeneration Womens BG-Joesana Suede Ankle Bootie Shoe, Black, US 8
- Women's Boulet leather Biker Engineer buckle Boots 8.5 LN
- Enzo Angiolini Size 5.5 KARISSA Black Leather Knee High Boots New Womens Shoes
- DS 2016 NIKE AIR MAX 1 PINNACLE BLACK M 7.5 / WMN 9 ATMOS PATTA SUPREME 90 ATMOS
- Vans Authentic Nintendo Duck Hunt Men's Size 11.5 US
- New Converse DC Comics BATMAN Superman All Star Chuck Taylor High tops.Sz 8
- Lacoste Green Fraisier Slip-on Sandals Shoes Big Croc Logo Size 9 10 11 Men's
[Editor’s Note: In Part I of this series, Dr. Nick Marsella addressed the duty we have to examine our assumptions about emergent warfighting technologies / capabilities and their associated implications to identify potential second / third order and “evil” effects. Womens Sexy Suede Ankle Boots T-Strappy Buckles Pointed Toe High Stiletto ShoesChic Womens Chunky Heels Patent Leather Winter Ankle Boots Back Zipper Fashion In today’s post, he prescribes five actions we can embrace both individually and as organizations to avoid confirmation bias and falling into cognitive thinking traps when confronting the ramifications of emergent technologies — Enjoy!]
In part I of my blog post, I advised those advocating for the development and/or fielding of technology to be mindful of the second/third order and possible “evil” effects. I defined “evil” as an unexpected and profound negative implication(s) of the adoption/adaption of a technology and related policy. I also recommended heeding the admonition of Tim Cook, Apple’s CEO, to take responsibility for our technological creations and have the courage to think things through their potential implications – both for the good and the bad.
But even if we as individuals are willing to challenge our assumptions and think broadly and imaginatively, we can still come up short. Why? The answer is due in part to the challenges of prediction and the fact we are human with both great cognitive abilities, but also weaknesses.
First, common sense and many theorists remind us that the future is unknowable.Women Pointy Toe High Block Heel Zip Patent Leather Ankle Boots Shoe Stylish NewWinter Warm Womens Bling Bling Mid CalfHigh Heels Boots Zipper Shoes Pumps ChicThe futurist Arthur C. Clark noted in 1962, “It is impossible to predict the future, and all attempts to do in any detail appear ludicrous within a very few years.” Within this fixed condition of unknowing, the U.S. Departments of Defense and the Army must make choices to determine:
– what capabilities we desire and its related technology;
– where to invest in research and development; and
As Michael E. Raynor pointed out in his book, Fashion Women's Leopard Pointed Toe Horsehair Stiletto Zipper Casual Ankle Boots, making choices and developing strategies, which include adopting new technology, where the future is unknowable and “deeply unpredictable” either produces monumental successes or monumental failures.Sexy Ladies Patent Leather Pointed Toe Ankle Boots High Heels Stilettos Shoes SZNew Columbia Womens Black Snow Boots Size 5.5 For a company this can spell financial ruin, while for the Army, it can spell disaster and the loss of Soldiers’ lives and national treasure. Yet, we must also choose a “way ahead” – often by considering “boundaries” – in a sense the left and right limits – of potential implications.
Second, our ability to predict when technology will become available is often in error nor can we accurately determine its implications. For example, in a New York Times editorial on December 8, 1903, it noted: “A man carrying airplane will eventually be built, Marc Fisher "Harlie" Ankle Boots Medium Brown Synthetic New with BoxWomen's Chunky High Heel Round Toe Side Zip Mid Calf Boots Casual Fashion Shoesbut only if mathematicians and engineers work steadily for the next ten million years.”5 The Wright Brothers first flight took place the following week, but it took decades for commercial and military aviation to evolve.
Each of the services has faced force modernization challenges due to the adoption of technologies that weren’t mature enough; whose capabilities were over-promised; or did not support operations in the envisioned Operational Environment. For the U.S. Army, Future Combat Systems (FCS) was the most obvious and recent example of this challenge – costing billions of dollars and, just as importantly, lost time and confidence.Naturalizer Hurley Wedge Booties BLACK WOMEN SIZE 8.5MWomens Slouch Platform Block Chunky Heels Knee High Boots Pull On Shoes Fashion
Third, in terms of future technology, predictions vary widely. For example, predictions by MIT’s Rodney Brooks and futurist/inventor Ray Kurzweil vary widely to the question – “What year do you think human-level Artificial Intelligence [AI, i.e., a true thinking machine] might be achieved with a 50% probability?” Kurzweil predicts AI (as defined) will be available in 2029, while Brooks is a bit more conservative – the year 2200 – a difference of over 170 years.Ladies Gray Leather Justin Roper Cowgirl Boots Sz:6 B (AB )Cole Haan Womens Brown Ankle Boots Size 7.5 (250380)
While one can understand the difficulty of predicting when “general AI” will be available, other technologies offer similar difficulties. The vision of the “self-driving” autonomous vehicle was first written about and experimented with in the 1920s, yet technological limitations, legal concerns, customer fears, and other barriers make implementing this capability challenging.
Lastly, as Rodney Brooks has highlighted, New CAT Womens Brown Fashion Boots Size 7 maintains:
“we tend to overestimate the effect of a technology in the short run and underestimate the effect in the long run.”Ladies high top ankle boots embroidered floral block heel shoes pointed toe heel
SECOND, THIRD ORDER AND EVIL EFFECTS
– intentionally focus on the positive effects of adopting a technology;
– ignore the experts and those who identify the potential downside of technology; and
– fail to think thorough the short, long, and potentially dangerous effects or dependencies – imaginatively.
We do this because we are human, and more often because we fall into the confirmation bias or other cognitive thinking traps that might affect our program or pet technology. As noted by RAND in Truth Decay:Womens Patent Leather Ankle Boots Chunky High Heels Shoes Back Zip Square Toe L5Womens pointy toe chunky block heel mid calf boots buckle stran casual shoes new
“Cognitive biases and the ways in which human beings process information and make decisions cause people to look for information, opinion, and analyses that confirm preexisting beliefs, to weigh experience more heavily than data and facts, and then to rely on mental shortcuts and the beliefs of those in the same social networks when forming opinions and making decisions.”9
Yet, the warning signs or signals for many unanticipated effects can be found simply by conducting a literature review of government, think tank, academic, and popular reports (to perhaps include science fiction). This may deter some, given the sheer volume of literature is often overwhelming, but contained within these reports are many of the challenges associated with future technology, such as: the potential for deep fakes, loss of privacy, hacking,Fashion Womens Solid Knee High Boots Faux Suede Round Toe Hidden Heel RhinestonePunk Womens Strappy High Heel Pointy Toe Knight Biker Shoes Over The Knee Boots accidents, deception, and loss of industries/jobs.
At the national level, both the current and previous administrations published reports on AI, as has the Department of Defense – some more balanced in addressing of issues of fairness, safety, governance, and ethics.10
For example, using photo recognition to help law enforcement and others seems like a great idea, yet its use is increasingly being questioned. This past May, San Francisco became the first city to ban its use, and others may follow suit.11 While some question this decision to ban vice impose a moratorium until the technology produces less errors, the question remains – did the developers and policy makers consider if there would be push back to its introduction given its current performance?Womens Suede new Pointy Toe Party Ankle Boot Zipper High Cuban Heel Shoes ChicEmbroidery Suede Leather Boots Womens Tassels Buckle Strap Block Heel S342 What sources did they consult?
Another challenge is language. You’ve seen the commercials – “there is much we can do with AI” – in farming, business, and even beer making. While “AI” is a clever tag line, it may invoke unnecessary fear and misunderstanding. For example, I believe for most people equate “robotics” and “AI” with the “Terminator” franchise, raising the fear of uncontrolled autonomous military force overwhelming humanity. Even worse – under the moniker of “AI,” we will buy into “snake-oil” propositions.
We are at least decades away from “general AI” where a “system exhibits apparently intelligence behavior at least as advanced as a person” across the “full range of cognitive tasks,” but we continue to flaunt the use of “AI” without elaboration.Fashion Womens Ankle Boots Pointy Toe Stiletto Pull On Shiny Stretchy Sexy ShoesChic Womens High Stilettos Heel Velvet Pointed Toe Ankle Boots Embroidery Shoes
SOME ACTIONS TO TAKE
Embrace a learning organization. Popularized by Peter Senge’s The Fifth Discipline: The Art and Practice of the Learning Organization (1990), a learning organization is a place “where people continually expand their capacity to create the results they truly desire, where new and expansive patterns of thinking are nurtured, where collective aspiration is set free, and where people are continually learning how to learn together.”2018 Summer Womens High Heels Lotus Leaves Peep Toe Zip High Top Sandals lShoes While some question whether we can truly make a learning organization, Senge’s thinking may help solve our problem of identifying 2nd/3rd order and evil effects.
First, we must embrace new and expansive patterns of thinking. Force developers use the acronym – “DOTMPLF-P” as shorthand for Doctrine, Organization, Training, Materiel, Personnel, Leadership, Facilities, and Policy implications – yet other factors might be as important.
For example, trust in automated or robotics systems must be instilled and measured. In one poll, 73% of respondents noted they would be afraid of riding in a fully autonomous vehicle – up 10% points from the previous year.14 What if we develop a military autonomous vehicle or a leader-follower system and one or more of our host nation allies prohibits its use? What happens if an accident occurs and the host population protests, Womens Chunky Heel Over Knee High Boots Side Zippers Suede Pointy Toe Boot SzWomens Sequins Pointed Toe Block Heel Ankle Boots Back Zip Shinny Wedding Shoesarguing that the Americans don’t care for their safety?
Technologists and concept developers must move from being stove-piped in labs and single-focused to consider the broader view of technological implications across functions.
Embrace Humility. Given that we cannot predict the future and its potential consequences, developers must seek out diversified opinions, and more importantly, recognize divergent opinions.
Embrace the Data. In New York City during World War II, a small organization of some of the most brilliant minds in America worked in the office of the “Applied Mathematics Panel.” In Europe, the 8th U.S. Air Force suffered from devastating bomber losses. L.L BEAN WOMEN'S SNOW/WINTER BOOTS RN TEK 2.5 SIZE 7 1/2 MFashion Over The Knee High Boots Womens Block Heel Real Leather Party Shoes SzLeaders wondered where best to reinforce the bombers with additional armor without significantly increasing their weight to improve survivability. Reports indicated returning bombers suffered gunfire hits over the wings and fuselage, but not in the tail or cockpits, so to the casual observer it made sense to reinforce the wings and fuselage where the damage was clearly visible.
Abraham Wald, a mathematician, worked on the problem. He noted that reinforcing the spots where damage was evident in returning aircraft wasn’t necessarily the best course of action, given that hits to the cockpit and tail were probably causing aircraft (and aircrew) losses during the mission. In a series of memorandums, he developed a “method of estimating plane vulnerability based on damage of survivors.” As Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s Sherlock Holmes noted more than 100 years ago, “It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”Naturalizer Cassini Booties BLACK WOMEN SIZE 9MEnimay Women's Winter Fashion High Mid Calf Slouchy Flat Casual Dress Boots
Additionally, we need to reinforce our practice of performing quality literature reviews to aid in our identification of these issues.
Employ Skepticism and a Devil’s Advocate Approach. In 1587, the Roman Catholic Church created the position of Promoter of the Faith – commonly referred to as the Devil’s Advocate. To insure a candidate for sainthood met the qualification of being canonized, the role of the Devil’s Advocate was to be the skeptic (loyal to the institution), looking for reasons why not to canonize the individual. Similarly, Leaders must embrace the concept of employing a devil’s advocate approach to identifying 2nd/3rd order and evil effects of technology – if not designating a devil’s advocate with the right expertise to identify assumptions, risks, and effects. But creating any devil’s advocate or “risk identification” positions is only useful if their input is seriously considered.
Embrace the Suck. Lastly, if we are serious in identifying the 2nd/3rd order and evil effects, Sam Edelman Women's Louie Boot Black US 6 NOBDiba Womens Brodie Fabric Almond Toe Ankle Fashion Boots Grey Size 8.0 GUtUto include identifying new dependencies, ethical issues, or other issues which challenge the adaption or development of a new technology or policy – then we must be honest, resilient, and tough. There will be setbacks, delays, and frustration.
Technology holds the power to improve and change our personal and professional lives. For the military, technology changes the ways wars are fought (i.e., the character of war), but it may also change the nature of war by potentially reducing the “human dimension” in war. If robotics, AI, and other technological developments eliminate “danger, physical exertion, intelligence and friction,”17 is war easier to wage? Will technology increase its potential frequency? Will technology create a further separation between the military and the population by decreasing the number of personnel needed? These may be some of the 2nd/3rd order and “evil” effects we need to consider.
If you enjoyed this post, please see Dr. Marsella’s previous post “Second/Third Order, and Evil Effects” – The Dark Side of Technology (US Shoe Size Women Boots Soft Slouchy Flat Low Heel Under Knee High Black/Cognac)
… as well as the following posts:Baffin Womens Shannon Snow Boot Black Size 8 M USRF ROOM OF FASHION Radiance-01 Women Fashion Comfy Vegan Suede Block Heel Sid...