- Ben Sherman Mens Black Fashion Sneakers Shoes 11 Medium (D)
- Vans Half Cab Black White Mens Suede Skate Trainers
- Karen Scott Womens Gray Ankle Booties /Heels & Side Zipper Size:9m
- Havaianas Origine Ladies 10 Men's 8.5 EU42 Suede Moccasin Desert Chukka Boots
- FOOTGLOVE SUEDE BLACK LEATHER ANKLE BOOT WIDER FIT SIZE US 6.5 SEXY HOT
- Wine Burgundy V Fringe GLITTER Booties Ankle Shoes Suede Heels Boots New 5.5-11
- Women's Merrell Decora Chant Boots Black Sz 6...worn hand full of times
- DC Shoes EVAN SMITH TX Mens Evan Smith Tx Skateboarding Shoe, Grey/Gum, 9.5 D
- 550$ Bally Weilon Pumpkin Suede Driver Size US 11 Made in Italy
- Supreme Nike Sb 2009Ss Zoom Bruin Sneaker 28.5Cm 150518 Skate Borders (83514
- Summer Men's Buckle Strap Peep Toe Hollow Out Flats Sandals Roma Beach Shoes
- Betsey Johnson Blair Dot Black Gold Glitter Red Heart Sneakers Size 7.5 Shoes
- Men’s Breathable Sneakers Outdoor Running Sports Casual Athletic Shoes
- Merrell Chameleon Prime Stretch Waterproof Hiking Shoes-Men's size 10 Brown
- SKechers Light Sand Boot Ankle Shoe Men's Size 8.5
- Designer Stylish Mid-calf Non-slip Female Boots
- Skechers Deside 62854 Mens Black Leather Ankle Boots UK Sizes 7.5 - 9.5 (GO)
- DICKIES QUINTON RIGGER BOOTS | Leather | Composite Toe Lightweight | Safety
- Stacy Adams Mason 24763 Men's Black Ankle Boots US.9 EU. 42. UK.8.5
- Seeland Chester 7 " / Us 8 / Us 8
- Ben Sherman Men's Birk Plain Toe Oxford - Choose SZ/Color
- Man's/Woman's Shoes Lacoste Sneakers 735SPM0014_JOGGEUR Durable service fashionable Cost-effective
- Adidas Originals Gazelle Trainers Size 11 Blue/White
- Christian Louboutin Pigalle Pumps Size US 6.5 Regular (M, B)
- Versace Black New Leather Triple Platform Studded Sandals Size US 8
- Jeffrey Campbell Burgundy Pumps Size US 8 Regular (M, B)
- Nike Air Max 1 Ultra SE Olive Flak Black Mens Running Shoes Sneakers 845038-300
- NIKE BENASSI SLP SLIPPERS FOLD DOWN Men's SZ 11 882410 003 BLACK SUEDE
- ZAPATOS DE MUJER ADIDAS STAN SMITH W art. BZ0408
- Nike Air Huarache Women's Shoes Ember Glow Dark Cayenne White 634835 801 New
- Womens New Retro Fringe Tassels Metal Decor Flats Casual Shoes Sneakers Size US
- Womens JESSICA SIMPSON LENORE black ankle booties sz. 10 (40) $99
- Nike Dualtone Racer Shoes Black Men 918227-002
- New Nike lunar hyperquickness tb Men's basketball shoes 652775-303 men size12.5
- Women High Block Heels Ankle Boots Zip Pull On Square Toe Shoes Fashion Jd_uk
- New in Box FRYE Womens Lindsay Plate Short Boot Black 76980 MSRP $ 318
- MOMA Women's Shoes Ankle Boots 76801-3A Fox Nero Leather Vintage Made Italy New
- Luichiny Women's My Pleasure Platform Pump
- New Anthropologie Bill Blass Sutton Espadrilles Ivory Snake Print Embossed sz 8
- Sperry Top-Sider Women's Katherine Leather Driving Style Loafer
- new SPERRY Top-Sider womens 'Bluefish' Gray Leather flats boat shoes size 5
- LA PINTA FEDORA Black Leather Flat Shoe
- PUMA Women's Suede Bow Wn Sneaker - Choose SZ/Color
- Nike LunarEpic Low Flyknit Multi-color 843765-002 Women's Running Shoe Size 10
- Men's/Women's LANVIN Shoes BlueｘMulticolor 36 1/2 Complete specification Upper material Superb craftsmanship
- Gentlemen/Ladies SKECHERS WOMENS COMPULSIONS-INDULGENT SLIP-RESISTANT 76510-BLK Promotion International choice Selling new products
- Gentlemen/Ladies P.W. Minor Womens Velvet, Black (10306) durability Preferred material comfortable
- Weapon Converse sneakers multi-color retro stylish size 13 genuine leather upper
- Vanity Fair Women's Flattering Lift Full Coverage Underwire Bra 75260
- VT643 John Lobb - WILLOUGHBY - Regal Purple Suede - E - 8000 Last
- STAR WARS SHOES the empire symbol, black MEN'S 11 M **NEW, AUTHENTIC & LICENCED
- Tommy Hilfiger TMBOWMAN Mens Bowman Boat Shoe- Choose SZ/Color.
- KS35 Hulah Knee High Dress Boots 454, Black, 8.5 US
- Via Spiga Black Suede Wedge Heel Slip on Ankle Boot Womens Size 6.5
- Men's/Women's Guess Tan Combat Boots Quality queen Skilled manufacturing TRUE
- Women Pointy Toe Leather Stiletto Wedding Over High Heels Solid Boots Pull on
- Free People Tan Cutout Buckle Ankle Booties Size 39
- men's shoes FDF SHOES 7 () elegant blue gray suede textile BZ348-B
- G. H. Bass Weejuns Larkin Moc Tassle Black Mens Shoes
- ECCO Scinapse mens shoes size US 8 - 8.5 brand new with box
- Men Handmade Leather Khussa shoes Casual shoes Gents Shoes sherwani shoes US-13
- Gentlemen/Ladies Propét Women's Onalee Mary Jane Flat, durability Optimal price best seller
- Under Armour Men's UA Charged Coolswitch Running Shoe, Green, Size 8 M US
- NEW $64 Mens Adidas NEO Cloudfoam Advantage Clean Shoes, size 14
- POLO Ralph Lauren TRISTEN Brown Leather Chukka Boots Boat Trainers Mens 9.5 D
- Tony Lama Brown Leather Cowboy Boots Mens Size 9.5 D Style XT3000
- Nike ACG All-trac Brown Leather Boots Mens Size 10.5 GREAT!
- MENS Wrangler Work Wear BLACK Insulation Steel Toe Work Boots Size 5 M $115
- Christian Louboutin Blac Daffodile Platforms Size US 6.5 Regular (M, B)
- Christian Louboutin Black 36.5 It Marisa Leather Studded Motorcycle Platform Knee Heel Lady Toe Boots/Booties Size US 6.5 Regular (M, B)
- Hunter Navy Blue Boots/Booties Size US 5.5
- Men's Nike Big Low LUX 854166-002 Black/Gum/Light Grey Sz 8-12 New in Box
- Nike Air Trainer 2 PRM QS Black / Persian Violet Mens Size 10 DS NEW! 632193-001
- NIB-Nike Hyperdunk 2017 Low Limited Black/White Basketball Shoes Sz 14
- Bota Trabajo Trabajo S/C Edicion Limitada El General Piel Grasso Negro ID 34596
- Dakota 8 Cobra Men's Tan Work Boots 9.5W
- CAT Footwear Caterpillar Mens DOUGALD Soft Gray Leather Wingtip Oxfords P717009
- Strovels Clog Mules Mens Low Heel Wooden Brown Leather Slip On Shoes US 15
- Puma Suede Platform Creeper Black / Gum
- Nike Womens Air Max Jewel Running Trainers 896194 101 Sneakers Shoes CLEARANCE
- Asics Gel Kahana Trail Running Shoes Women's 8 Trainers Grey Pink Hiking EUC
- Women Fur Trim Suede Mid-calf Boots Mid Wedge Round toe Casual Winter Warm Shoes
- New Nike Lebron Soldier XI 11 Midnight Navy Metallic Gold Size 10.5 (897644-402)
- Mens Nike Air Max Vision Triple Black Smart Trainers 918230 001
- KEEN Elsa Waterproof Black White Herringbone Tweed Boots Womens 6.5 *NEW* $130
- Men's/Women's Eckhart Taupe Suede Franco Sarto Boot Selling Quality First renewed on time
- Men's/Women's NEW PEDRO GARCÍA WOMENS ANKLE BOOTS Modern and elegant fashion New style Immediate delivery
- Men/Women Melissa Women's Platform Shoes Size 9 Reputation first the most economical unique
- NEW Fitflop Superskate Slip-On Sneaker, BLACK LIZARD PRINT Size 10 (42 EUR) $130
- Retro Womens Pointy Toe Slip On Casual Loafers Patent Leather Flats Shoes sz hot
- Franco Sarto Women's Valera Navy Patent Loafer Flat
[Editor’s Note: In Part I of this series, Dr. Nick Marsella addressed the duty we have to examine our assumptions about emergent warfighting technologies / capabilities and their associated implications to identify potential second / third order and “evil” effects. NEW Crocs Women’s Leigh Suede Mix Wedge Ankle Bootie Espresso Size 11 M BootHanover Wo's 8M brown Leather Cowboy Western Pull-On Boots vintage rockabilly In today’s post, he prescribes five actions we can embrace both individually and as organizations to avoid confirmation bias and falling into cognitive thinking traps when confronting the ramifications of emergent technologies — Enjoy!]
In part I of my blog post, I advised those advocating for the development and/or fielding of technology to be mindful of the second/third order and possible “evil” effects. I defined “evil” as an unexpected and profound negative implication(s) of the adoption/adaption of a technology and related policy. I also recommended heeding the admonition of Tim Cook, Apple’s CEO, to take responsibility for our technological creations and have the courage to think things through their potential implications – both for the good and the bad.
But even if we as individuals are willing to challenge our assumptions and think broadly and imaginatively, we can still come up short. Why? The answer is due in part to the challenges of prediction and the fact we are human with both great cognitive abilities, but also weaknesses.
First, common sense and many theorists remind us that the future is unknowable.Winter Womens Fur Trim Suede Platform Wedge Heels Creeper Shoes Ankle Boots WarmHot Sale Pointed Toe Ankle Boots Womens Knight Boots Date High Block Heels ShoesThe futurist Arthur C. Clark noted in 1962, “It is impossible to predict the future, and all attempts to do in any detail appear ludicrous within a very few years.” Within this fixed condition of unknowing, the U.S. Departments of Defense and the Army must make choices to determine:
– what capabilities we desire and its related technology;
– where to invest in research and development; and
As Michael E. Raynor pointed out in his book, Punk Women Pointy Toe Stilettos High Heels Ankle Boots Buckle Leather Shoes plus, making choices and developing strategies, which include adopting new technology, where the future is unknowable and “deeply unpredictable” either produces monumental successes or monumental failures.Womens Ankle Riding Boots Transparent Med Block Heels S9 Faux Fur Pointed ToeWomen Square Toe Low Block Heel Zip Sequin Bling Ankle Boot Shoe Stylish Leather For a company this can spell financial ruin, while for the Army, it can spell disaster and the loss of Soldiers’ lives and national treasure. Yet, we must also choose a “way ahead” – often by considering “boundaries” – in a sense the left and right limits – of potential implications.
Second, our ability to predict when technology will become available is often in error nor can we accurately determine its implications. For example, in a New York Times editorial on December 8, 1903, it noted: “A man carrying airplane will eventually be built, Womens Embroidery Suede Chunky Heel Knee High Boots Square Toe Retro ShoesEurope Women's Pointed Toe High Stiletto Heels Fur Trim Overknee Thigh Boots Szbut only if mathematicians and engineers work steadily for the next ten million years.”5 The Wright Brothers first flight took place the following week, but it took decades for commercial and military aviation to evolve.
Each of the services has faced force modernization challenges due to the adoption of technologies that weren’t mature enough; whose capabilities were over-promised; or did not support operations in the envisioned Operational Environment. For the U.S. Army, Future Combat Systems (FCS) was the most obvious and recent example of this challenge – costing billions of dollars and, just as importantly, lost time and confidence.Platform Denim Knee Boot ShoeNew Women Round Toe High Stiletto Heel Zip A961ARTISAN BY CLARKS Sz 10M Wms Black Leather/Textile Kaylin Sara HI Boots 26103402
Third, in terms of future technology, predictions vary widely. For example, predictions by MIT’s Rodney Brooks and futurist/inventor Ray Kurzweil vary widely to the question – “What year do you think human-level Artificial Intelligence [AI, i.e., a true thinking machine] might be achieved with a 50% probability?” Kurzweil predicts AI (as defined) will be available in 2029, while Brooks is a bit more conservative – the year 2200 – a difference of over 170 years.Womens Sexy Pointy Toe High Heel Stilettos Stretchy Over Knee High Boots ShoesWomens zip over the knee high Boots cuban heels suede stylish Casual shoes Lady
While one can understand the difficulty of predicting when “general AI” will be available, other technologies offer similar difficulties. The vision of the “self-driving” autonomous vehicle was first written about and experimented with in the 1920s, yet technological limitations, legal concerns, customer fears, and other barriers make implementing this capability challenging.
Lastly, as Rodney Brooks has highlighted, New SZ Boots Bowknot Patent Leather Women Ankle Boots Stiletto High Heels Shoes maintains:
“we tend to overestimate the effect of a technology in the short run and underestimate the effect in the long run.”Ladies faux suede Knight mid calf boots stilettos high heel chain decor shoes
SECOND, THIRD ORDER AND EVIL EFFECTS
– intentionally focus on the positive effects of adopting a technology;
– ignore the experts and those who identify the potential downside of technology; and
– fail to think thorough the short, long, and potentially dangerous effects or dependencies – imaginatively.
We do this because we are human, and more often because we fall into the confirmation bias or other cognitive thinking traps that might affect our program or pet technology. As noted by RAND in Truth Decay:Rampage Estafania Knee High Boots Black D2559 New in BoxBowknot Decor Womens Zipper Square Toe Block Heels Mid Calf Boots Casual Shoes
“Cognitive biases and the ways in which human beings process information and make decisions cause people to look for information, opinion, and analyses that confirm preexisting beliefs, to weigh experience more heavily than data and facts, and then to rely on mental shortcuts and the beliefs of those in the same social networks when forming opinions and making decisions.”9
Yet, the warning signs or signals for many unanticipated effects can be found simply by conducting a literature review of government, think tank, academic, and popular reports (to perhaps include science fiction). This may deter some, given the sheer volume of literature is often overwhelming, but contained within these reports are many of the challenges associated with future technology, such as: the potential for deep fakes, loss of privacy, hacking,Barneys New York Wos Boots Tall US 6 Black Leather Casual ItalyFashion Women's Velvet Rabbit Fur Slip On Flat Square Toe Loafers Casual Shoes accidents, deception, and loss of industries/jobs.
At the national level, both the current and previous administrations published reports on AI, as has the Department of Defense – some more balanced in addressing of issues of fairness, safety, governance, and ethics.10
For example, using photo recognition to help law enforcement and others seems like a great idea, yet its use is increasingly being questioned. This past May, San Francisco became the first city to ban its use, and others may follow suit.11 While some question this decision to ban vice impose a moratorium until the technology produces less errors, the question remains – did the developers and policy makers consider if there would be push back to its introduction given its current performance?Womens Fashion Pu Leather Over Knee Thigh Boots Pull On Round Toe Mid Heel ShoesGentleman/Lady Qupid Women's Rix-01 Ankle Bootie New product Fast delivery unique What sources did they consult?
Another challenge is language. You’ve seen the commercials – “there is much we can do with AI” – in farming, business, and even beer making. While “AI” is a clever tag line, it may invoke unnecessary fear and misunderstanding. For example, I believe for most people equate “robotics” and “AI” with the “Terminator” franchise, raising the fear of uncontrolled autonomous military force overwhelming humanity. Even worse – under the moniker of “AI,” we will buy into “snake-oil” propositions.
We are at least decades away from “general AI” where a “system exhibits apparently intelligence behavior at least as advanced as a person” across the “full range of cognitive tasks,” but we continue to flaunt the use of “AI” without elaboration.Mr/Ms Vince Camuto Women's RUBINA Bootie INDIGO,5.5 Innovative design modern Elegant and stable packagingWomen's Knee High Boots Block Embroider Tassel Leather Casual Shoes Ethnic Trend
SOME ACTIONS TO TAKE
Embrace a learning organization. Popularized by Peter Senge’s The Fifth Discipline: The Art and Practice of the Learning Organization (1990), a learning organization is a place “where people continually expand their capacity to create the results they truly desire, where new and expansive patterns of thinking are nurtured, where collective aspiration is set free, and where people are continually learning how to learn together.”Women Chic Snakeskin High Block Heel Buckle Zip Faux Leather Knee High Boots New While some question whether we can truly make a learning organization, Senge’s thinking may help solve our problem of identifying 2nd/3rd order and evil effects.
First, we must embrace new and expansive patterns of thinking. Force developers use the acronym – “DOTMPLF-P” as shorthand for Doctrine, Organization, Training, Materiel, Personnel, Leadership, Facilities, and Policy implications – yet other factors might be as important.
For example, trust in automated or robotics systems must be instilled and measured. In one poll, 73% of respondents noted they would be afraid of riding in a fully autonomous vehicle – up 10% points from the previous year.14 What if we develop a military autonomous vehicle or a leader-follower system and one or more of our host nation allies prohibits its use? What happens if an accident occurs and the host population protests, Womens Fashionable Shinny PU Leather Block High Heels Mid Calf Boots Shoes SizeWomens's Stretch Fashion Round Toe Flats Real Leather Ankle Boots High Top Shoesarguing that the Americans don’t care for their safety?
Technologists and concept developers must move from being stove-piped in labs and single-focused to consider the broader view of technological implications across functions.
Embrace Humility. Given that we cannot predict the future and its potential consequences, developers must seek out diversified opinions, and more importantly, recognize divergent opinions.
Embrace the Data. In New York City during World War II, a small organization of some of the most brilliant minds in America worked in the office of the “Applied Mathematics Panel.” In Europe, the 8th U.S. Air Force suffered from devastating bomber losses. New Women Lady Floral Buckle Ankle Boots Zip BOHO Stilettos Elegent Shoes BlackThe Flexx Malificent Leather Wedge Ankle Boot, 5.5, BrownLeaders wondered where best to reinforce the bombers with additional armor without significantly increasing their weight to improve survivability. Reports indicated returning bombers suffered gunfire hits over the wings and fuselage, but not in the tail or cockpits, so to the casual observer it made sense to reinforce the wings and fuselage where the damage was clearly visible.
Abraham Wald, a mathematician, worked on the problem. He noted that reinforcing the spots where damage was evident in returning aircraft wasn’t necessarily the best course of action, given that hits to the cockpit and tail were probably causing aircraft (and aircrew) losses during the mission. In a series of memorandums, he developed a “method of estimating plane vulnerability based on damage of survivors.” As Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s Sherlock Holmes noted more than 100 years ago, “It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”Womens Chic Knee High Boots Side Zipper Pointed Toe Stiletto Heels Casual ShoesWomen's Patent Leather Block Heel Ankle Boots Chic Square Toe Zip Shoes Size 39
Additionally, we need to reinforce our practice of performing quality literature reviews to aid in our identification of these issues.
Employ Skepticism and a Devil’s Advocate Approach. In 1587, the Roman Catholic Church created the position of Promoter of the Faith – commonly referred to as the Devil’s Advocate. To insure a candidate for sainthood met the qualification of being canonized, the role of the Devil’s Advocate was to be the skeptic (loyal to the institution), looking for reasons why not to canonize the individual. Similarly, Leaders must embrace the concept of employing a devil’s advocate approach to identifying 2nd/3rd order and evil effects of technology – if not designating a devil’s advocate with the right expertise to identify assumptions, risks, and effects. But creating any devil’s advocate or “risk identification” positions is only useful if their input is seriously considered.
Embrace the Suck. Lastly, if we are serious in identifying the 2nd/3rd order and evil effects, Womens Ankle Boots Side Zip Suede Casual Block High Heel Solid Fashion Shoes NewRefresh Women Leatherette Sweater Knit Fold Down Fur Trim Combat Bootie BH47to include identifying new dependencies, ethical issues, or other issues which challenge the adaption or development of a new technology or policy – then we must be honest, resilient, and tough. There will be setbacks, delays, and frustration.
Technology holds the power to improve and change our personal and professional lives. For the military, technology changes the ways wars are fought (i.e., the character of war), but it may also change the nature of war by potentially reducing the “human dimension” in war. If robotics, AI, and other technological developments eliminate “danger, physical exertion, intelligence and friction,”17 is war easier to wage? Will technology increase its potential frequency? Will technology create a further separation between the military and the population by decreasing the number of personnel needed? These may be some of the 2nd/3rd order and “evil” effects we need to consider.
If you enjoyed this post, please see Dr. Marsella’s previous post “Second/Third Order, and Evil Effects” – The Dark Side of Technology (Fidji Womens L838 Ankle Boot Nep Brown Leather Size 40 US)
… as well as the following posts:Room Of Fashion Women's Radiance-01 Boots, Over-The-Knee Vegan Suede Blk US-8.5Sbicca Women's Percussion Boot - Choose SZ/Color
– Women's Boots winter Snow Waterproof Kingshow Globalwin White Print 6 DM US, by Dr. Nir Buras