- ROCKY 4EurSole Multi color Patent leather Clogs Shoes /US 7-7.5
- LADIES "CLARKS" BROWN LEATHER SLIP ON MULE SHOES 7M
- Men's/Women's balenciaga arena Euro Sz43 Aesthetic appearance New products in 2018 Shopping promotion
- NIB NEW $1145 Hender Scheme Jordan MIP-10 Mid top Sneakers Shoes Size 9 US
- STEVE MADDEN “Grab" Men Size 11 Leather Cognac Brown Driving Casual Loafers F18
- NIKE JORDAN 3 RETRO (GS) BOY'S S 6.5(Y)WMN'S S8 BLK/WHT (398614 020) RET$140 NIB
- Shoes Reebok Yourflex Run 3.0 J95818 man fitness running red Moda Fashion
- Paul Smith Brown Suede Ankle Boots Size 8.5
- Dan Post Brown Leather Cowboy Cowgirl Western Boots 6.5 M
- Alegria Leather Side Zip Ankle Boots - Hayden Floral Notes 41 (10.5-11 )
- Skechers Womens Parallel-Dusk Ankle Bootie- Select SZ/Color.
- womens moss green SAM EDELMAN petty suede ankle booties leather boots 8.5 W
- Sperry Men's 10.5 Top-Sider Gold CUP Milbridge Sneakers With ASV Comfort Shoes
- Men's COLE HAAN 'ZeroGrand Open II' Brown Leather Wingtip Oxfords US 9.5 - D
- DS NIKE 1993 AIR CARNIVORE BLACK VINTAGE ORIGINAL 9 MAX FORCE 180 90 1 TRAINER
- Tommy Bahama Men's Anchors Ashore Flip Flops
- Claudia Ciuti Womens Gelato Red Leather Loafer Dress Flat
- $149.99 DC Life Collection Sector 7 (stone / oyster) 301939-SOY
- MENS NIKE AIR JORDAN BCT MID BASKETBALL SHOES SZ 10.5 44.5 454043 106 USED
- Winter Mens Warm Snow Faux Fur Lined High Top Ankle Boots Waterproof Black Sz 11
- Rothco 5257 G.I. Type Sierra Sole Tactical Boots - Desert Tan
- MENS CATERPILLAR DARK BEIGE SAFETY BOOTS "DIMEN HI SB"/P716837
- True Vintage Levi's Orange Tab Cowboy Boots Size 7.5 Tan Leather Slip on unisex
- Gentlemen/Ladies Grabbers Men's Fastener G1240 Work Boot Clearance price cheapest Various
- Skechers Men's Larson Norven Oxford - Choose SZ/color
- NIB Ecco Men's Gary Slip On Fashion Sneaker Cocoa Brown Leather Size 44
- Christian Louboutin Nude Suede Decoitish Point Pumps Size US 10 Regular (M, B)
- Christian Louboutin Exagona Platforms Size EU 39 (Approx. US 9) Regular (M, B)
- Salvatore Ferragamo Black Vintage Pumps Size US 7.5 Narrow (Aa, N)
- NEW NIKE LUNAR TR1 MEN'S RUNNING SHOES SIZE 14 - (529169-060) BLACK/CRIMSON/WHT
- TWISTED X MEN'S OILED SADDLE CREPE WEDGE CASUAL SHOE MCA0007
- Gentlemen/Ladies: Nike Sonic Flight: economical and practical
- DS Brand New Nike Blazer Low black Men's US size 10.5
- Adidas Nmd _R1 Primeknit Donne Scarpe Originals da Ginnastica Ice Blue BY8763
- Nike Legend React Summit White/Wolf Grey Womens RN Running 2018 ALL NEW
- Columbia Montrail Women's Trans Alps F.K.T. II Trail Running Shoe, Jade Lime, Sp
- Womens Leather Rivet Black Riding Knee Boots Block Chunky Low Heels Shoes I623
- nike air force 1 sheed
- ADIDAS ORIGINALS COURT VANTAGE trainers Core Black leather LIMITED 39 1/3
- Stradivarius Women Animal print ankle boots with stiletto heels 6922/341/201
- TOMMYXGIGI Women's Nautical Over The Knee Winter Boot, Black, 37 EU/6.5-7 M US
- Finn Women's Sterzing Suede Boots Black Nappa 2210-900119
- Womens Chic Metallic GlitterLeather Espadrille Slip On Loafers Casual Shoes scco
- Women's Stuart Weitzman Bronze gold neutral Mach1 Patent Leather Loafers Size 10
- Shellys London Women's Cantara Mule - Choose SZ/Color
- Klogs Mission Womens Clog Shoes Mahogany 12 M
- SPRING STEP FIREFLY-CA - FIREFLY Size: 36 Euro (Women US 5.5-6) - Color: Camel_M
- Man's/Woman's CONVERSE All Star Hi Blanc Good design Sufficient supply Cheap order
- ADIDAS FALCON femminili B28126 nere yung running fashion M2K yeezy aztrek
- *New* Nike Air Max 90 2.0 Flyknit Women’s Size 7.5 Oreo 881109-002
- born shoes clogs Sarah black leather 9.5 42
- Lands End Women's Shoes Size 10 B Black Fabric Slip On Platform Moccasins
- Ralph Lauren Purple Label Alonzo Black Needlepoint Slippers Shoes 8.5/9/9.5/10 D
- Summer Hermes Loafers Double Monk Leather Size 43 Shoes (98952
- Men's Travis Mathew Burwell Shoes Sz 9 M Black
- New Paperplanes Max Sports Air Running Athletic Shoes_PP1101(WhiteBlueBlack)
- Nike LunarCharge Essential 923619-007 Black Obsidian Men's Casual Running Shoes
- Man's/Woman's DKNYC Slouchy Suede Boots Sz 6.5 High quality and low overhead real Maintenance capability
- Sporto Womans BOOTS sz 12 wide/ Grey Suede Fur Lined ~New in Box!
- Womens Buckle Punk Ankle Boots Block Heels Faux Leather Plus Size Shoes Fashion
- Pleaser 6" Heel Platform Buckle Zip Black Ankle Boots Club Goth Glam Fetish 5-11
- Tommy Hilfiger Velesia Ankle Boots 219, Black, 11 US
- Rare "CHARLES TYRWHITT JERMYN STREET LONDON" Brown Suede Horse Bit Loafers 81/2
- Caterpillar Men's RIDGEMONT Slip Resistant Dark Brown Work Shoes P73238
- Gentleman/Lady Ecco Men's Collin 535584 57924 Every item described is available Fast delivery Caramel, gentle
- UNDER ARMOUR UA PLAYMAKER ADJUST SLIDE BLACK/WHITE SPORT SANDALS FOAM MEN SIZES
[Editor’s Note: In Part I of this series, Dr. Nick Marsella addressed the duty we have to examine our assumptions about emergent warfighting technologies / capabilities and their associated implications to identify potential second / third order and “evil” effects. Ralph Lauren Polo Mens Size 9 D Brisbane Gray White Canvas Walking Casual ShoesMen's 7.5 Nike Swingman MVP 2 MCS Mid Molded Baseball Cleats Shoes 616259 010 In today’s post, he prescribes five actions we can embrace both individually and as organizations to avoid confirmation bias and falling into cognitive thinking traps when confronting the ramifications of emergent technologies — Enjoy!]
In part I of my blog post, I advised those advocating for the development and/or fielding of technology to be mindful of the second/third order and possible “evil” effects. I defined “evil” as an unexpected and profound negative implication(s) of the adoption/adaption of a technology and related policy. I also recommended heeding the admonition of Tim Cook, Apple’s CEO, to take responsibility for our technological creations and have the courage to think things through their potential implications – both for the good and the bad.
But even if we as individuals are willing to challenge our assumptions and think broadly and imaginatively, we can still come up short. Why? The answer is due in part to the challenges of prediction and the fact we are human with both great cognitive abilities, but also weaknesses.
First, common sense and many theorists remind us that the future is unknowable.mens moccasins suede leather look shoes boat slip on tassel loafers smart formal$149.99 DC Life Collection Xander (black / wheat) 301555-KWHThe futurist Arthur C. Clark noted in 1962, “It is impossible to predict the future, and all attempts to do in any detail appear ludicrous within a very few years.” Within this fixed condition of unknowing, the U.S. Departments of Defense and the Army must make choices to determine:
– what capabilities we desire and its related technology;
– where to invest in research and development; and
– what to purchase and field.Reebok Mens - White Walking Shoes Size 11 (415982)$119.99 ALIFE Everybody Mid - Luxe Tweed (blue) EMXTBL-F082
As Michael E. Raynor pointed out in his book, Adidas Mens Football Cleats Size 7.5 (3157), making choices and developing strategies, which include adopting new technology, where the future is unknowable and “deeply unpredictable” either produces monumental successes or monumental failures.Adidas Mens Neo City Racer size 11 F38448 black/grey/whiteNIKE BSBL MVP Lunarlon Running Sneakers Shoes Men's Size 11.5 Gray White Blue For a company this can spell financial ruin, while for the Army, it can spell disaster and the loss of Soldiers’ lives and national treasure. Yet, we must also choose a “way ahead” – often by considering “boundaries” – in a sense the left and right limits – of potential implications.
Second, our ability to predict when technology will become available is often in error nor can we accurately determine its implications. For example, in a New York Times editorial on December 8, 1903, it noted: “A man carrying airplane will eventually be built, Skechers Mens 65203 Black Walking Shoes Size 11 (591)Adidas Mens Aq7906 White Fashion Sneaker Size 11 (15996)but only if mathematicians and engineers work steadily for the next ten million years.”5 The Wright Brothers first flight took place the following week, but it took decades for commercial and military aviation to evolve.
Each of the services has faced force modernization challenges due to the adoption of technologies that weren’t mature enough; whose capabilities were over-promised; or did not support operations in the envisioned Operational Environment. For the U.S. Army, Future Combat Systems (FCS) was the most obvious and recent example of this challenge – costing billions of dollars and, just as importantly, lost time and confidence.Lacoste Mens Navy Walking Athletic Shoes Size 12 (245503)NIKE 852430 401 MENS ATHLETIC NIKE SHOES SIZE 11 W682K
Third, in terms of future technology, predictions vary widely. For example, predictions by MIT’s Rodney Brooks and futurist/inventor Ray Kurzweil vary widely to the question – “What year do you think human-level Artificial Intelligence [AI, i.e., a true thinking machine] might be achieved with a 50% probability?” Kurzweil predicts AI (as defined) will be available in 2029, while Brooks is a bit more conservative – the year 2200 – a difference of over 170 years.Men's Vans Hi Royal Blue Red White Skate Shoe sz 8.5Nike Zoom Celar 5 Sprint Track Spikes Volt OC 882023 999 Size Mens 10
While one can understand the difficulty of predicting when “general AI” will be available, other technologies offer similar difficulties. The vision of the “self-driving” autonomous vehicle was first written about and experimented with in the 1920s, yet technological limitations, legal concerns, customer fears, and other barriers make implementing this capability challenging.
Lastly, as Rodney Brooks has highlighted, Mens Saucony Excursion TR 10 Black Trainers Size 7M (U62) maintains:
“we tend to overestimate the effect of a technology in the short run and underestimate the effect in the long run.”Men's/Women's Mens Jordan 8 Year-end special promotions special promotion negotiation
SECOND, THIRD ORDER AND EVIL EFFECTS
– intentionally focus on the positive effects of adopting a technology;
– ignore the experts and those who identify the potential downside of technology; and
– fail to think thorough the short, long, and potentially dangerous effects or dependencies – imaginatively.
We do this because we are human, and more often because we fall into the confirmation bias or other cognitive thinking traps that might affect our program or pet technology. As noted by RAND in Truth Decay:Gentlemen/Ladies Adidas Adiprene Shoes 11.5M Excellent Condition Fine workmanship Carefully selected materials negotiationmens 9 vintage North Star white red blue basketball tennis shoes sneakers Kenya
“Cognitive biases and the ways in which human beings process information and make decisions cause people to look for information, opinion, and analyses that confirm preexisting beliefs, to weigh experience more heavily than data and facts, and then to rely on mental shortcuts and the beliefs of those in the same social networks when forming opinions and making decisions.”9
Yet, the warning signs or signals for many unanticipated effects can be found simply by conducting a literature review of government, think tank, academic, and popular reports (to perhaps include science fiction). This may deter some, given the sheer volume of literature is often overwhelming, but contained within these reports are many of the challenges associated with future technology, such as: the potential for deep fakes, loss of privacy, hacking,Gentlemen/Ladies Men Jordan Alpha Trunner Size 8 fashion Beautiful Official websiteNike Huarche Custom - Size 4.5y. 100% Authentic!! accidents, deception, and loss of industries/jobs.
At the national level, both the current and previous administrations published reports on AI, as has the Department of Defense – some more balanced in addressing of issues of fairness, safety, governance, and ethics.10
For example, using photo recognition to help law enforcement and others seems like a great idea, yet its use is increasingly being questioned. This past May, San Francisco became the first city to ban its use, and others may follow suit.11 While some question this decision to ban vice impose a moratorium until the technology produces less errors, the question remains – did the developers and policy makers consider if there would be push back to its introduction given its current performance?Converse Chuck Taylor II With Lunarlon Pink High Top Women Sz 10 Sneaker ShoeNew Balance Mens Size 10 MARISLP1 Blue Running Training Athletic Shoes ZS-210 What sources did they consult?
Another challenge is language. You’ve seen the commercials – “there is much we can do with AI” – in farming, business, and even beer making. While “AI” is a clever tag line, it may invoke unnecessary fear and misunderstanding. For example, I believe for most people equate “robotics” and “AI” with the “Terminator” franchise, raising the fear of uncontrolled autonomous military force overwhelming humanity. Even worse – under the moniker of “AI,” we will buy into “snake-oil” propositions.
We are at least decades away from “general AI” where a “system exhibits apparently intelligence behavior at least as advanced as a person” across the “full range of cognitive tasks,” but we continue to flaunt the use of “AI” without elaboration.Mountain Warehouse Urban Trainers NEW Size 10Men's Speedo The Wake Shoes Black Synthetic Walking Sneakers Size 8 M
SOME ACTIONS TO TAKE
Embrace a learning organization. Popularized by Peter Senge’s The Fifth Discipline: The Art and Practice of the Learning Organization (1990), a learning organization is a place “where people continually expand their capacity to create the results they truly desire, where new and expansive patterns of thinking are nurtured, where collective aspiration is set free, and where people are continually learning how to learn together.”New PUMA Mens Evo Speed Haraka V3 RedBlast/PumaBlack/PumaWhite Soccer Cleats While some question whether we can truly make a learning organization, Senge’s thinking may help solve our problem of identifying 2nd/3rd order and evil effects.
First, we must embrace new and expansive patterns of thinking. Force developers use the acronym – “DOTMPLF-P” as shorthand for Doctrine, Organization, Training, Materiel, Personnel, Leadership, Facilities, and Policy implications – yet other factors might be as important.
For example, trust in automated or robotics systems must be instilled and measured. In one poll, 73% of respondents noted they would be afraid of riding in a fully autonomous vehicle – up 10% points from the previous year.14 What if we develop a military autonomous vehicle or a leader-follower system and one or more of our host nation allies prohibits its use? What happens if an accident occurs and the host population protests, Mens Black White Reebok Official NFL Equipment New Football Cleats Size 15Polo Ralph Lauren Mens Sz 13M Tan Mid Canvas Sneaker 98-13arguing that the Americans don’t care for their safety?
Technologists and concept developers must move from being stove-piped in labs and single-focused to consider the broader view of technological implications across functions.
Embrace Humility. Given that we cannot predict the future and its potential consequences, developers must seek out diversified opinions, and more importantly, recognize divergent opinions.
Embrace the Data. In New York City during World War II, a small organization of some of the most brilliant minds in America worked in the office of the “Applied Mathematics Panel.” In Europe, the 8th U.S. Air Force suffered from devastating bomber losses. Draven Sparta Men's Size 10 Leather/Suede Low Top Skateboard Shoes NEWadidas Performance Mana Bounce Running Shoe Vista Grey/Black/Semi Solar Sz 7Leaders wondered where best to reinforce the bombers with additional armor without significantly increasing their weight to improve survivability. Reports indicated returning bombers suffered gunfire hits over the wings and fuselage, but not in the tail or cockpits, so to the casual observer it made sense to reinforce the wings and fuselage where the damage was clearly visible.
Abraham Wald, a mathematician, worked on the problem. He noted that reinforcing the spots where damage was evident in returning aircraft wasn’t necessarily the best course of action, given that hits to the cockpit and tail were probably causing aircraft (and aircrew) losses during the mission. In a series of memorandums, he developed a “method of estimating plane vulnerability based on damage of survivors.” As Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s Sherlock Holmes noted more than 100 years ago, “It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”NEW adidas Energy Boost Icon Low Metal Baseball - Blue cleats men size 9Nike Hyperfr3sh Mens Dark Red Gym Athletic Basketball Shoes Sz 11759996-601
Additionally, we need to reinforce our practice of performing quality literature reviews to aid in our identification of these issues.
Employ Skepticism and a Devil’s Advocate Approach. In 1587, the Roman Catholic Church created the position of Promoter of the Faith – commonly referred to as the Devil’s Advocate. To insure a candidate for sainthood met the qualification of being canonized, the role of the Devil’s Advocate was to be the skeptic (loyal to the institution), looking for reasons why not to canonize the individual. Similarly, Leaders must embrace the concept of employing a devil’s advocate approach to identifying 2nd/3rd order and evil effects of technology – if not designating a devil’s advocate with the right expertise to identify assumptions, risks, and effects. But creating any devil’s advocate or “risk identification” positions is only useful if their input is seriously considered.
Embrace the Suck. Lastly, if we are serious in identifying the 2nd/3rd order and evil effects, New Men and Women Aqua Shoes Outdoor Breathable Beach Shoes Lightweight Zapatos03-542 Nike Free x Metcon Gym/Cross Training Shoe Size 10to include identifying new dependencies, ethical issues, or other issues which challenge the adaption or development of a new technology or policy – then we must be honest, resilient, and tough. There will be setbacks, delays, and frustration.
Technology holds the power to improve and change our personal and professional lives. For the military, technology changes the ways wars are fought (i.e., the character of war), but it may also change the nature of war by potentially reducing the “human dimension” in war. If robotics, AI, and other technological developments eliminate “danger, physical exertion, intelligence and friction,”17 is war easier to wage? Will technology increase its potential frequency? Will technology create a further separation between the military and the population by decreasing the number of personnel needed? These may be some of the 2nd/3rd order and “evil” effects we need to consider.
If you enjoyed this post, please see Dr. Marsella’s previous post “Second/Third Order, and Evil Effects” – The Dark Side of Technology (Huf Men's Classic Lo Ess Tx Ankle-High Canvas Fashion Sneaker)
… as well as the following posts:New! Vans Men's 721356 Winston Leather/Fabric Skate Shoes - Black/Gray B8PUMA ENZO Running Shoe Men's LIFESTYLE MID TOP sneakers
– 03-353 Hoka One One Men's Clifton True Blue/Jasmine Green WALKING SIZE 10 2E, by Dr. Nir Buras