- BCBGMaxazria Fillie Tall Leather Riding Boots Black Size 7 MSRP $395 see notes
- G.H. Bass Sophia Brown Womens Shoes Size 11 M Boots MSRP $130
- LAUREN by Ralph Lauren Womens DAMARA Leather Closed Toe, Black/Black, Size 9.5 X
- Adidas 3MC Vulc Skate Black Black Shoes Free Post Aust Skate Shop Kingpin
- Freeman Plat FTMITM MEN'S SHOES SIZE 49 Gray F3
- Tony Lama 6153 Walnut Ol Buck Leather Mens Cowboy Western Riding Boots Size 10.5
- Punk Mens Rivet Mules Slides Shoes Sandals Slipper Leather Flat Heel Black
- Vince. Phalen Beige Womens Shoes Size 8.5 M Flats MSRP $225
- New balance M730GB2 RUNNING Shoes Size 12 Athletic FAST SHIPPING
- New Balance Tech Ride Running Athletic Tennis Shoes
- David Taylor 74076 Ankle Boots Side Zipper Black Shoes Men's Size 10.5 D
- Mens Genuine Leather Motorcycle Boots Army Ankle Boots Punk Zipper Biker Shoes
- Twisted X Men's Hooey Lopers Brown MHYC009 Shoes
- Man's/Woman's Addidas Crazy 8 Online Shopping Excellent performance Selling new products
- Dr. Martens Men's Size 11 Air Wear Kamar high tops Black Suede 22104001
- DONALD PLINER LIGHT BROWN MENS ANKLE BOOT, SHOE SIZE 11.5 M
- Xtratuf Men's Finatic II Chocolate/Tan Size 8.5 Casual Shoes
- Laredo Men's Classic Lizard 13
- Christian Louboutin Pink White Black Patent Leather Lady Peep Sling Peep-toe Pumps Size EU 37.5 (Approx. US 7.5) Regular (M, B)
- Dior Black & White Limited Edition J'adior Slingback 65mm Heels Pumps Size EU 39 (Approx. US 9) Regular (M, B)
- Latest PUMA Suede Platform SD Women's Trainers (//US 8) Brand New
- Marni Sand/Tan Sandals Size EU 38 (Approx. US 8) Regular (M, B)
- NIB NIKE AIR JORDAN ILLUSION LOW WHITE GREY BASKETBALL SNEAKER SHOES Size 9.5
- NEW NIKE TOKI LOW TXT Dark Grey GUM Mens Limited NIB NR
- Adidas ZX FLUX ADV VERVE BB2284 sneakers running sneakers woman
- NIKE Hyperdiamond 2 Keystone 856434-018 WOLF GREY Size 11
- NIB Men's SLIPPERS Shearling Lined Mocs SIZE 10 Indoor/Outdoor Shoes BROWN SUEDE
- Totes Gemma Womens Sizes 8 9 10 11 Medium Winter Brown Boots $100 New
- NIKE LEBRON XIII 13 LIFESTYLE (SKU 115) US 11 CM 29 RED
- Nike Jordan 1 Nigel Sylvester Size 9.5
- Womens Ladies Sequins Flower Wedge Heels Leather Knee High Punk Boots Shoes 2018
- Columbia 1424692 Womens Newton Ridge Plus Hiking Boot- Choose SZ/Color.
- Gentleman/Lady Calvin Klein Women's Helenah Boot main category Used in durability Diversified new design
- Unisa Womens Libli Fabric Almond Toe Loafers, Black, Size 10.0 QnZg
- Tory Burch Metallic Gold Snakeskin Cap Toe Ballet Flats Shoes 8.5
- REBECCA MINKOFF Women's Michell Distressed Sole Studded Sneakers $175 NIB
- Clarks 28930 Cheyn Madi Slip-On Loafers Womens Black
- Jeffrey Campbell Charlin Point Toe Mustard Mules Flats Sz 7M
- Converse CT All Star Gemma Knit Hi Women's Sneakers Shoes 553449C
- Nike Womens Metcon 3 Metallic Running Trainers 922880 Sneakers Shoes 001
- Bling Nike Juvenate Shoes w/ Swarovski Crystals MINT GREEN w/ Bedazzled Swooshes
- Dansko Black Leather Slip On Shoes Size 9.5 - 10
- Dansko Womens Kenzi Brown Leather Mules Clogs Button Knit Trim Sz 37 US 6.5-7
- NIB DSQUARED2 High Top Sport Mens Leather Fashion Sheakers Shoes 44 / 11 $795 IT
- Men Breathable Shoes Canvas Slip On Summer Casual Comfort Fashion Low Top Loafer
- Fashion Mens Slip On Breathable Casual Shoes Round Toe Athletic Outdoor Sneakers
- DR MARTENS LEATHER BURGUNDY SLIP ON LOAFERS CASUAL SHOES US 13 M
- Sanuk Chiba Sidewalk Surfer Shoes Extended Sizes Mens Casual Shoes
- Baretraps Ivey Women's Ankle Peep Mule Boots 8.5 NEW Cognac Brown
- Men's/Women's Sloggers-Women's Rain&Garden ChickenPrintCollectionGardenBoots,Sz10,BarnRed flagship store Optimal price German Outlets
- BCBG MAXAZRIA "Graham" Suede Leather Open Toe Bootie Size: 9 US
- J CREW Biker Suede Boots Size 8.5 Brown #b0378 $228
- Adrienne Vittadini Womens av pami Closed Toe Ankle Fashion Black ks Size 6.0 q
- Clarks Stinson Hi Men's Loden Grey Leather Wallabee Style Boots 26113634
- PRADA BLACK SPAZZOLATO LEATHER SQUARE TOE DERBY OXFORD SHOES 10.5 US
- New NIB St Johns Bay Norman Mens 8 Med Strap Sandals Comf Arch Support Fisherman
- Graffiti Custom Slim Tropical Sexy Sandals Many Colors Any Size Flip Flops
- ARMANI EXCHANGE MAN FLIP FLOPS SANDALS SHOES RUBBER ART. 955070 8P429
- Wilson Pro Staff 1000 Men's White Leather Athletic Shoes Size-8
- Men's Adidas Duramo 8 M CP8738 Running Shoe Carbon/Black/HIRERE Size 12
- Christian Louboutin Black/Nero Very Prive Pumps Size US 11 Regular (M, B)
- Aggressor Men's 8'' Lynx II Steel Toe Steel Plate Work Boot Wheat Size 9M
- Steve Madden Men's Fresco Chukka Boot - Choose SZ/Color
- TRIONIC Brown Leather Hiking Hiker Trail Boots Men's Size 7.5 M Made in ITALY
- Cole Haan D10024 Country Stitched Air Moc Zip Ankle Boots Men's US 7.5C
- Men's Pointed Toe Glitter Metallic Stud Chain Western Heels Brown Ankle Boots
- Cole Haan Air Slip On Loafer Shoes Brown Leather Mens Size 9.5 M 161 C04820 J6
- Chic Men Nubuck Cow Leather Slip On Driving Moccasin Loafer Shoes US Size 38-49
- British Genuine Leather Mens Formal Slip On Round Toe Business Party Shoes size
- ADIDAS ORIGINALS WOMEN'S GAZELLE LILAC/WHITE Suede/fabric tennis shoe Sz 5.5 NEW
- Fendi Brown Winter Tale Fur Leather Buckle Platform Ankle Heel Boots/Booties Size EU 38.5 (Approx. US 8.5) Regular (M, B)
- Christian Louboutin White and Nude 160mm Chunky Flowered Suede Cutouts Platforms Size EU 37.5 (Approx. US 7.5) Regular (M, B)
- NIKE KD TREY 5 III LMTD SIZE 11 MEN'S BASKETBALL SHOES (812558 090)
- NIKE ZOOM 6.0 SIZE 1Y BROWN, GREEN, GREY LEATHER PRE OWNED
- Nike Air Max Modern Flyknit Mens Size 9.5 Running Shoes 876066 401 Photo Blue
- Womens NIKE AIR HUARACHE RUN Green Trainers 634835 300
- Womens Punk motor gothic Buckle Med Heels Platform Ankle Boots Retro casual Shoe
- Ruff Hewn Woman's Rhantioch Boots Retail$95 Black - Size 7.5M NIB
- 943806 401 NIKE KYRIE IV 4 THINK TWICE DARK OBSIDIAN NAVY WHITE SIZE 12 MENS
- NIKE AIR MAX 1 ID GREY-RED-BLACK SZ 10 [943756-971]
- Furry Winter Women's Real Fur Mid Calf Leather Snow Boots Fur Lining Warm Boots
- Merrell Emery Buckle Boot, Rust, Women's US 8.5 M J42248
- New in Box Old Gringo Womens FORYO Western Boots Chocolate Brown MSRP $ 530
- COLE HAAN LADIES BEIGE PATENT LEATHER WEDGE GRAND.OS. SIZE 6 1/2 AA.
- Womens Carlos by Carlos Santana Vegas NIB Brown Flats 7 M
- Man/Woman Toru Burch Flats 7.5 Quality products Stylish and charming Explosive good goods
- Mr/Ms Micheal Kors Natasha Love Leather Slide Special price Trendy Superb craftsmanship
- Man's/Woman's Salvatore Ferragamo PARIGI Black Patent Moccasin High quality and low overhead Online International big name
- Skechers Women's Relaxed Fit Reggae Fest Willows Slip On Navy
- ASICS Womens GEL-Torrance Running Shoe Peach Petal/Frosted Rose Running Sneakers
- Adidas Ultra Boost GS Navy / White Women's Junior's Boy's Girl's Size
- Golden Goose Deluxe Vstar Leather Leopard Sneakers/Shoes Size 38
- Drew Rose Womens Strap Shoes Diabetic Orthopedic Shoes Size 9.5M Mary Jane Tan
- PRADA Men's Dark Blue Gabardine Low Top Sneakers Size 10 US / 9 UK
- Dexter Oxford Loafers Black Men's Shoes size 12
- Cole Haan ITALY Men 8.5 D Brown Leather Kiltie Tassel Driving Mocs Loafers Shoes
- New Summer Men Breathable Casual Moccasins Loafers Slip On Genuine Leather Shoes
- Sperry Top-Sider Authentic Originals Mens Boat Shoes, 10 DM US; Brown Buc Brown
- Casual Block Heels Buckle Plaid Ankle Boots Plus Size Womens Zipper Shoe new
- Cole Haan Trella Pump Leather Snake Print New With Box
- Teva De La Vina Women's Black/Grey Boot 6.5M
- Alfani Stariss Women US 9.5 Black Bootie
- Otot Ankle Boots Size 7 Brown Leather Wrapped Heel Convertible
- 2017 Mens Leather Round Toe Loafers Fashion Hip Hop Street Slip On Casual Shoes
- Bates Mens 8" Strike Side Zip Boot Black Leather/Nylon Slip-Resistant (Non-Skid)
- Crockett & Jones Dress Shoes Blk Leather Cheam (40941
- Christian Louboutin Multicolor Navy White Yellow Miss Daisy 120 Polka Dot Mules/Slides Size EU 39.5 (Approx. US 9.5) Regular (M, B)
- Europe Mens Punk Rivets Cut out Roma Buckle Strap Leather Style Shoes Sandals
- LADIES SHOES/FOOTWEAR - Natural comfort Ava boot leather whiskey
- Adidas Mens NEO Cloudfoam Insoles-Sneakers Size 9 Casual-Blue-NEW Back To School
- VINTAGE 1988 NIKE BOSS SHARK “OG" Sz.12 DEADSTOCK COLLECTIBLE
- Hi-Tec Skamania Waterproof Hiking Boots sz 14D
- BAFFIN Waterproof Steel Toe Safety Rubber Boots Size 6 made in CANADA
- SANTONI Mens Ankle Boots Sz 9 Brown Suede Leather Slip On Stretch Panels Italy
- Black Side Zip SWAT Style Boots Cordura Airsoft Army Combat Assault Boot Cadet
- NEW NORCROSS 67503 SIZE 7 MOSSY OAK CAMO BREAK UP SOLE 15" WORK HUNTING BOOTS
- FRYE Brown Distressed Leather Harness Boots 10 W Wide Made in USA
- Base London Turner Mens Brown Red Leather Brogues Shoes Size
- Donald J Pliner Mens Tye-E Slip On Loafer Shoes, Expresso, US 13
- Adidas Stan Smith Bold Indigo Suede Size 10
[Editor’s Note: In Part I of this series, Dr. Nick Marsella addressed the duty we have to examine our assumptions about emergent warfighting technologies / capabilities and their associated implications to identify potential second / third order and “evil” effects. Adidas BB7996 NMD R1 PK Casual shoes black sneakersNEW adidas Ultra Boost Uncaged BB4486 Mens Shoes Trainers Sneakers SALE In today’s post, he prescribes five actions we can embrace both individually and as organizations to avoid confirmation bias and falling into cognitive thinking traps when confronting the ramifications of emergent technologies — Enjoy!]
In part I of my blog post, I advised those advocating for the development and/or fielding of technology to be mindful of the second/third order and possible “evil” effects. I defined “evil” as an unexpected and profound negative implication(s) of the adoption/adaption of a technology and related policy. I also recommended heeding the admonition of Tim Cook, Apple’s CEO, to take responsibility for our technological creations and have the courage to think things through their potential implications – both for the good and the bad.
But even if we as individuals are willing to challenge our assumptions and think broadly and imaginatively, we can still come up short. Why? The answer is due in part to the challenges of prediction and the fact we are human with both great cognitive abilities, but also weaknesses.
First, common sense and many theorists remind us that the future is unknowable.new CHRISTIAN LOUBOUTIN Louis Flat Strass blue patent leather high top sneakerMen/Women Hogan Mens Sneaker Black HXM2460S26099FY058V use Affordable Most practicalThe futurist Arthur C. Clark noted in 1962, “It is impossible to predict the future, and all attempts to do in any detail appear ludicrous within a very few years.” Within this fixed condition of unknowing, the U.S. Departments of Defense and the Army must make choices to determine:
– what capabilities we desire and its related technology;
– where to invest in research and development; and
– what to purchase and field.YSL mens leather shoes size 40 excellent condition lwith box, store tagNaot Men's Gary Black Leather Moc Toe Shoes
As Michael E. Raynor pointed out in his book, Andrew Charles Men's DAVE Classic Oxford Shoes COGNAC, making choices and developing strategies, which include adopting new technology, where the future is unknowable and “deeply unpredictable” either produces monumental successes or monumental failures.Pikolinos Men's Fuencarral 15A-6175 Brandy Slip-on Shoesbx33865 Hogan man's black classic flats shoes For a company this can spell financial ruin, while for the Army, it can spell disaster and the loss of Soldiers’ lives and national treasure. Yet, we must also choose a “way ahead” – often by considering “boundaries” – in a sense the left and right limits – of potential implications.
Second, our ability to predict when technology will become available is often in error nor can we accurately determine its implications. For example, in a New York Times editorial on December 8, 1903, it noted: “A man carrying airplane will eventually be built, Andrew Charles By Andy Hilfiger Men's Slip On Boat Sneakers TAUPESTANCO *Blue/Orange*Luxury Rubberized Calf Leather Mocassini/Loafer Shoes 10.5USbut only if mathematicians and engineers work steadily for the next ten million years.”5 The Wright Brothers first flight took place the following week, but it took decades for commercial and military aviation to evolve.
Each of the services has faced force modernization challenges due to the adoption of technologies that weren’t mature enough; whose capabilities were over-promised; or did not support operations in the envisioned Operational Environment. For the U.S. Army, Future Combat Systems (FCS) was the most obvious and recent example of this challenge – costing billions of dollars and, just as importantly, lost time and confidence.Johnston & Murphy Men's Waverly Black Calfskin Business ShoesNaot Men's Director Brown Gradient Handcrafted Leather Comfort Shoes
Third, in terms of future technology, predictions vary widely. For example, predictions by MIT’s Rodney Brooks and futurist/inventor Ray Kurzweil vary widely to the question – “What year do you think human-level Artificial Intelligence [AI, i.e., a true thinking machine] might be achieved with a 50% probability?” Kurzweil predicts AI (as defined) will be available in 2029, while Brooks is a bit more conservative – the year 2200 – a difference of over 170 years.Drew Men's Journey Black Leather/Mesh Comfort ShoesNaot Men's Wisdom Black Madras Leather Business Shoes
While one can understand the difficulty of predicting when “general AI” will be available, other technologies offer similar difficulties. The vision of the “self-driving” autonomous vehicle was first written about and experimented with in the 1920s, yet technological limitations, legal concerns, customer fears, and other barriers make implementing this capability challenging.
Lastly, as Rodney Brooks has highlighted, Mr/Ms Hogan Mens Sneaker Light Grey HXM1980H67166XX26E7 The color is very eye-catching Ranked first in its class Outstanding style maintains:
“we tend to overestimate the effect of a technology in the short run and underestimate the effect in the long run.”Drew Men's Victor Black Pebbled Grain Leather Walking Shoes
SECOND, THIRD ORDER AND EVIL EFFECTS
– intentionally focus on the positive effects of adopting a technology;
– ignore the experts and those who identify the potential downside of technology; and
– fail to think thorough the short, long, and potentially dangerous effects or dependencies – imaginatively.
We do this because we are human, and more often because we fall into the confirmation bias or other cognitive thinking traps that might affect our program or pet technology. As noted by RAND in Truth Decay:English Laundry Men's Juniper Sneaker - Choose SZ/ColorFrye FRYE Mens Boat Shoe Camel- Pick SZ/Color.
“Cognitive biases and the ways in which human beings process information and make decisions cause people to look for information, opinion, and analyses that confirm preexisting beliefs, to weigh experience more heavily than data and facts, and then to rely on mental shortcuts and the beliefs of those in the same social networks when forming opinions and making decisions.”9
Yet, the warning signs or signals for many unanticipated effects can be found simply by conducting a literature review of government, think tank, academic, and popular reports (to perhaps include science fiction). This may deter some, given the sheer volume of literature is often overwhelming, but contained within these reports are many of the challenges associated with future technology, such as: the potential for deep fakes, loss of privacy, hacking,FRYE Mens Tanner Slip on Fashion Sneaker, Black, 11 D USECCO Men's Howell Mocc-Toe Oxford - Choose SZ/Color accidents, deception, and loss of industries/jobs.
At the national level, both the current and previous administrations published reports on AI, as has the Department of Defense – some more balanced in addressing of issues of fairness, safety, governance, and ethics.10
For example, using photo recognition to help law enforcement and others seems like a great idea, yet its use is increasingly being questioned. This past May, San Francisco became the first city to ban its use, and others may follow suit.11 While some question this decision to ban vice impose a moratorium until the technology produces less errors, the question remains – did the developers and policy makers consider if there would be push back to its introduction given its current performance?U52D7B01122 Geox U52D7B Mens Nebula Sneaker- Choose SZ/Color.Geox MGIONA4 Mens Mgiona4 Slip-On Loafer /- Choose SZ/Color. What sources did they consult?
Another challenge is language. You’ve seen the commercials – “there is much we can do with AI” – in farming, business, and even beer making. While “AI” is a clever tag line, it may invoke unnecessary fear and misunderstanding. For example, I believe for most people equate “robotics” and “AI” with the “Terminator” franchise, raising the fear of uncontrolled autonomous military force overwhelming humanity. Even worse – under the moniker of “AI,” we will buy into “snake-oil” propositions.
We are at least decades away from “general AI” where a “system exhibits apparently intelligence behavior at least as advanced as a person” across the “full range of cognitive tasks,” but we continue to flaunt the use of “AI” without elaboration.Geox U Kristof Mens Fashion Sneaker 43US- Choose SZ/Color.Frye FRYE Mens Fashion Sneaker- Pick SZ/Color.
SOME ACTIONS TO TAKE
Embrace a learning organization. Popularized by Peter Senge’s The Fifth Discipline: The Art and Practice of the Learning Organization (1990), a learning organization is a place “where people continually expand their capacity to create the results they truly desire, where new and expansive patterns of thinking are nurtured, where collective aspiration is set free, and where people are continually learning how to learn together.”Josef Seibel 48553-705314 Mens EliasOxford -- Choose SZ/Color. While some question whether we can truly make a learning organization, Senge’s thinking may help solve our problem of identifying 2nd/3rd order and evil effects.
First, we must embrace new and expansive patterns of thinking. Force developers use the acronym – “DOTMPLF-P” as shorthand for Doctrine, Organization, Training, Materiel, Personnel, Leadership, Facilities, and Policy implications – yet other factors might be as important.
For example, trust in automated or robotics systems must be instilled and measured. In one poll, 73% of respondents noted they would be afraid of riding in a fully autonomous vehicle – up 10% points from the previous year.14 What if we develop a military autonomous vehicle or a leader-follower system and one or more of our host nation allies prohibits its use? What happens if an accident occurs and the host population protests, PASOY Men's Tritium Watch Green Light Swim Waterproof Sapphire Glass...Invicta 23705 Mens Pro Diver Quartz Stainless Steel and Polyurethane Divingarguing that the Americans don’t care for their safety?
Technologists and concept developers must move from being stove-piped in labs and single-focused to consider the broader view of technological implications across functions.
Embrace Humility. Given that we cannot predict the future and its potential consequences, developers must seek out diversified opinions, and more importantly, recognize divergent opinions.
Embrace the Data. In New York City during World War II, a small organization of some of the most brilliant minds in America worked in the office of the “Applied Mathematics Panel.” In Europe, the 8th U.S. Air Force suffered from devastating bomber losses. Helly Hansen HP Pull on Bib - Choose SZ/ColorInvicta Men's 'Objet d'Art' Automatic Stainless Steel and Leather Casual...Leaders wondered where best to reinforce the bombers with additional armor without significantly increasing their weight to improve survivability. Reports indicated returning bombers suffered gunfire hits over the wings and fuselage, but not in the tail or cockpits, so to the casual observer it made sense to reinforce the wings and fuselage where the damage was clearly visible.
Abraham Wald, a mathematician, worked on the problem. He noted that reinforcing the spots where damage was evident in returning aircraft wasn’t necessarily the best course of action, given that hits to the cockpit and tail were probably causing aircraft (and aircrew) losses during the mission. In a series of memorandums, he developed a “method of estimating plane vulnerability based on damage of survivors.” As Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s Sherlock Holmes noted more than 100 years ago, “It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”Quartz Chronograph Mens Watch by Stuhrling Original with Black, Blue or...BOS Men's 'Dragon Collection' Luxury Carved Dial Automatic Mechanical...
Additionally, we need to reinforce our practice of performing quality literature reviews to aid in our identification of these issues.
Employ Skepticism and a Devil’s Advocate Approach. In 1587, the Roman Catholic Church created the position of Promoter of the Faith – commonly referred to as the Devil’s Advocate. To insure a candidate for sainthood met the qualification of being canonized, the role of the Devil’s Advocate was to be the skeptic (loyal to the institution), looking for reasons why not to canonize the individual. Similarly, Leaders must embrace the concept of employing a devil’s advocate approach to identifying 2nd/3rd order and evil effects of technology – if not designating a devil’s advocate with the right expertise to identify assumptions, risks, and effects. But creating any devil’s advocate or “risk identification” positions is only useful if their input is seriously considered.
Embrace the Suck. Lastly, if we are serious in identifying the 2nd/3rd order and evil effects, MARC JACOBS BROWN LEATHER HIGH TOP SNEAKERS SIZE 9 U.K / U.S 10 MADE IN ITALYMen's Baffin ZEUS 6" slip-on gator safety bootto include identifying new dependencies, ethical issues, or other issues which challenge the adaption or development of a new technology or policy – then we must be honest, resilient, and tough. There will be setbacks, delays, and frustration.
Technology holds the power to improve and change our personal and professional lives. For the military, technology changes the ways wars are fought (i.e., the character of war), but it may also change the nature of war by potentially reducing the “human dimension” in war. If robotics, AI, and other technological developments eliminate “danger, physical exertion, intelligence and friction,”17 is war easier to wage? Will technology increase its potential frequency? Will technology create a further separation between the military and the population by decreasing the number of personnel needed? These may be some of the 2nd/3rd order and “evil” effects we need to consider.
If you enjoyed this post, please see Dr. Marsella’s previous post “Second/Third Order, and Evil Effects” – The Dark Side of Technology (Mens Brown Bally Leather Loafers Shoes Sz 11.5 UK / 12.5 US / 45,5 EU)
– US9, Ferragamo Italian leather driver/loafer with gunmetal double Gancini bits., by Dr. Nir Buras