- Lucky Brand Womens Breck Leather Closed Toe Ankle Fashion Boots, Black, Size 7.5
- Marc Fisher Ellena Peep Toe Fashion Ankle Boots 508, Black Multi, 8 US
- Zara Womens Shoes Sz 6.5 Euro 37 Blue Nwt 7134/201 Zip Front Block Velvet Nwt
- Stacy Adams Men's Beckett Cap Toe Chukka Boot 24984
- DEL TORO x Sarabia White Blue Marijuana Slip On Shoes Mens 8 $395 SOLD OUT (E8)
- New Mezlan Havana 9.5 N brown (2296)
- Havaianas Men's Brazil No 43/44
- Sofft Women's Somers Slide Backless Sneaker Snare Grey Sizes 8 NIB
- Converse Men's Street Mid Black High Top Fashion Sneakers 11M
- Nike mens air force1 navy blue and white size 8.5
- Sperry Top-Sider Lug Chukka WP Brown Leather Boat Moc Ankle Boot Men's US 11.5M
- Canada ACTON Thermo Air Boss SIZE 12 Insulated Boots Steel Toe - Hardly used
- Pel Boot Mens 10 M Womens 12 M US 43 EU Black Leather Ankle Shearling Lined
- Cabela's Men's Professional Outdoor Footwear Moccasin Brown Duck Boots Sz 11
- Olympia Unisex Skyfall 19" Outdoor Backpack
- MENS VTG CODE WEST BLK GENUINE OSTRICH QUILL COWBOY WESTERN BOOTS SZ 8 M 8M USA
- NIB $95 Converse CT 70 Hi Suede Red Dahlia 149441C US Mens 12
- Ben Sherman Men's Conall Hi Fashion Sneaker
- Fendi Leopard Audrey Pumps Size US 8 Regular (M, B)
- Christian Louboutin Grey Riveto 70 Python Crisscross Open Toe Heels Pumps Wedges Size US 11
- CHAUSSURES FEMME PANIER PUMA VELOUR CLASSIC VR 364114
- Manolo Blahnik Beige Metallic Satin Hangisi Jeweled 100mm Pointed Pumps Size EU 37.5 (Approx. US 7.5) Regular (M, B)
- Nike Air Max Mens BW Blue White Size 10 Ultra Running Shoes New
- Men's Nike Hyperquickness Shoes Size 13 (616865-300) (M-42)
- Indigo Rd. Women's Fayen Fashion Boot - Choose SZ/Color
- Nike WOMEN'S Air Ascension Force Hi Top White/Bright Crimson/Black 5.5 RETRO NEW
- Merrell Womens All Out Crush Inlight Shine Breeze Outdoors Running Shoes
- Womens High Heels Stilettos Pointed Toe Back Zipper Rhinestone Sexy Boots C141
- NIB Nike Free Run Running Shoes Sneakers Squadron Blue 831508-406 Mens Sz 10
- Nike Air Jordan Retro 11 Space Jam 2016 Size 6y Black Concord 378037 003
- PUMA Women's Fierce Evoknit Wn Sneaker - Choose SZ/color
- Two Lips Women's Atia Boot, Black, 6.5 M US
- Sweet Girl's Rabbit Slip On Loafers Round Toe Flat Oxford Casual Walking Shoes A
- Dr. Scholl's Shoes Women's Classic Slide Sandal, Saddle Snake Print, 9 M US
- TORY BURCH Shelby womens ballet flats size 7 M black flower detail gold logo s21
- Man/Woman CLARKS Women's Gracelin Lola Ballet Flat Elegant appearance Fine art Simple
- Donald J Pliner Rio Women's FLATS Black
- TOD'S Ivory Pearl Leather Loafers Driving Shoes Moccasins $425 Size
- Men's/Women's Reebok Furylite Graphic Classic Women's Shoes Fine processing cheapest Exquisite processing
- Nike Air Max 90 Leather Womens 768887-201 Iron Bronze Running Shoes Size 10.5
- Nike Air Max 95 Women's Shoes Coastal Blue/Navy
- Women's INGARO Mary Jane Clog Wear to Work Nursing Shoes Size 6 M Hounds-tooth
- LADIES SIZE 41 / 10.5-11 DANSKO BLACK LEATHER & BRONZE SNAKE PRINT BALLET FLATS
- New! Valentino Garavani 'Soul AM' Low Top Shoes White Men 10 US 43 Eur MSRP $695
- men's shoes LOTTO 7 () flip flops gray / black rubber AG139-B1
- Steve Madden Men's Bounded Fashion Sneaker *NIB* Size 12AUS/UK
- Cool Custom Audi Men's High Top Shoes
- Hush Puppies Roadside Slip On_mt Mens MT Slip-On Loafer- Choose SZ/Color.
- Saint & Libertine Trinket Calf Hair Ankle Boot, Slate SIZE 7 M
- BooRoo Womens Alexa Suede Toggle Button Winter Boot Shoes, Black, US 9
- Thigh High NWOT Colin Stuart Black Boots With Fur 8.5 wedge
- DONALD J PLINER Black Leather Chunky Heel Boots w/ Buckle & Tie - 7.5 M - EUC
- Gentleman/Lady Baretraps Steena Boots Size 9 M Crazy price Quality First Non-slip
- GRENSON DAKOTA MENS TAN LEATHER SLIP ON SHOE UK10.5F
- Golden Goose DELUXE BRAND Francy Palm Print High Top Sneaker size us 8
- Alden Boots 44650Hus8Blk Horse Leather Shoes (22145
- Christian Louboutin Louis Spike Suede High Top Sneaker, 40, Red
- Cobb Hill Pamela Strap Loafers Merlot - 7 M
- Man's/Woman's Nike Zoom Red 7.5 bargain Latest styles International big name
- Merrell Mens J94333 Dusty Olive Fashion Sneaker Size 10.5 (15687)
- Hermès Blue Liberty Flats Size EU 38 (Approx. US 8) Regular (M, B)
- Texas Brand Dark Brown Leather Cowboy Boots Mens Size 8 D Style 8911 USA
- Dan Post Mens 8D Tan Cowhide Leather Western Cowboy Boots 1980s Vtg Soft Supple
- Man's/Woman's Skechers Comfort Leather Upper Men’s Shoes. Long-term reputation Settlement Price Fine wild
- Men's Carlo Pazolini GD-X7270-2 Calf Suede Ankle Boots - NEW IN BOX
- Men's Insulated Waterproof Work Snow Boots Cold-weather Cushioned Slip Resistant
- New! Men's Field and Stream Duck Boots Brown Merrimack6 14Y
- ALDO Men's Haelasien-r Fashion Sneaker - Choose SZ/Color
- NIB CONVERSE X NIGEL CABOURN CHUCK TAYLOR ALL STAR HIGH Cameraman 9.5 10.5 12
- Adidas Energy Boost Techfit ESM Women's Running Trainers New /3
- Christian Louboutin Black Electropump 160 Heels Platforms Size EU 36.5 (Approx. US 6.5) Regular (M, B)
- Christian Louboutin Orange Classic Iriza 100mm Sunset Suede Leather Dorsay Point-toe Heel Pumps Size EU 38 (Approx. US 8) Regular (M, B)
- Nike Air Max Tavas SE Special Edition NEW Running Shoe Total Crimson SIZE 12
- A770 Nike SB Stefan Janoski Max Red 631303-662 Size 9.5 NEW
- Womans Adidas Sneakers. Limited Edition Stan smith Size 6.5
- NIKE WOMENS AIR HUARACHE RUN ULTRA BR SZ 6.5 WHITE PURE PLATINUM 833292 100
- Womens Block High Heel Pointy Toe Ankle Boots Casual Zipper Party Shoes Lady S
- Sexy Lady Over Knee High Boots Round Toe Stiletto High Heel Pull On Cuffed Shoes
- Adidas Women's Originals Superstar Shoes S85139 White Sneaker
- adidas Alphabounce Em W Icy Pink White Mesh Train Originals Womens Size 8
- Seychelles Women's Triangle Western Boot, Taupe, 7.5 M US
- Gentlemen/Ladies Baretraps Siobhan2 Women's Boots Dark Brown for you to choose Lush design German Outlets
- Anthropologie Giulia Boots Brown Embossed Leather by Gaia D'Este Italy Size 38
- Hush Puppies Ceil Pebbled Leather Slip-On Moc Travel Loafers Shoes Women's 9 M
- THERA FIT Womens LAURA Grey/Purple Leather/Mesh Mule Open Back Sneaker US 7.5 W
- Stuart Weitzman Shoestring Pewter Scotch Nappa Shoestring Ballet Flats Size 9M.
- Corso Como Mirage Pointed Toe Ballet Flats 462, Neutral/Eggshell, 9.5 US
- NEW Arche Women's Red Burgundy Maroon Suede Laius Leather Flat Size 35 - 5
- Nike Metcon DSX Flyknit 2 Womens Training Shoe Sizes Black White 924595 100
- Vionic Women's Syra Casual Sneaker White 10 M
- Womens Air Jordan AJ1 Sage XX Off White AO1526-100 8-10 1
- Mira Mikati NWT Multicolor "Monster Print" Slip On Sneakers SZ 37
- Dansko Womens 40 US 8.5-9 Professional Leather Black Oiled Clogs 206020202
- Dunham Men's Winslow Oxford, Brown-9.5 2E US
- EA7 Mens EA7 Sea World Flip Flop
- Vans Old Skool Frost Grey Neon Pink Pop Unisex Casual Shoes Men 7.5 Women 9
- Florsheim Black and Brown Leather Loafers Men's Size 10
- Hush Puppies 15125 Lunar II Mens Dk Brown Leather Slip-On Loafers Shoes SZ 10 M
- Teva De La Vina Black Delavina Leather Boots Womens Size 6 New
- LADIES PARTY ANKLE BOOT STILETTO HEEL POINTED TOE BUCKLES STRAPS SHOE 3-8
- Jack Rogers Womens Sallie Print Rainboot Rain Boot- Pick SZ/Color.
- Merrell Womens Chateau tall Closed Toe Mid-Calf Fashion, Merrell Oak, Size 5.0
- Carlos Santana New Blythe Black Womens Shoes Size 6 M Boots MSRP $79
- osiris nyc 83 7.5 lucky 13 shoes de Muertos black lucky 13 web day of dead
- AllSaints Men's Expel Taupe Loafers New in Box Size 7, 9 Cow/Pigskin Leather
- Deep See Airform Diver Sandals Flip Flops Men's w/ Dive Flag
- Giuseppe Zanotti Taupe/Bronze Mesh Etilico Sandals Size US 6 Regular (M, B)
- Echt Leder Brown Leather Woven Fisherman Sandals Shoes Size 9 Mens
- Franco Sarto Womens SCARLETTA Leather Pointed Toe Mules Black LE Size 6.0
- REEBOK MEN’S SIZE 12 SHOES BLACK NICE!!!
- FILA ITALIA PHALANX High Top Hip Hop Fashion Sneakers Purple Silver Mens 10M EUC
- Blundstone 500 EUC AUS 8 US 9 Stout Brown Leather
- BRUNO MARC NEW YORK Mens Black Ankle Boots Size 15 (373287)
- DEMONIA TRA502/B/BPU Men's Gothic Punk Black 3 1/4" Platform Knee High Boots
- Clarks Riston Edge Men's Brown Nubuck Waterproof Ankle Boots 26119626
- LL BEAN Pull On Lounger Bean Boots Winter Weather Snow Men's Size 7 M
- Nike Air Force 1 Foamposite Cup Men's boots AH6771 002 Multiple sizes
- Asics Gel-Lyte V H6S4L-4790 Cockatoo Black Leather Mesh Casual Shoes (D, M) Men
- NIB Filling Pieces Mid Peak Nubuck Sneakerboots (Made in Portugal) RRP $600
- Zapatos ADIDAS Hombre ARANCIONE Tela S79483
[Editor’s Note: In Part I of this series, Dr. Nick Marsella addressed the duty we have to examine our assumptions about emergent warfighting technologies / capabilities and their associated implications to identify potential second / third order and “evil” effects. NIKE WOMENS SF AF1 AIR FORCE 1 HIGH LIGHT BONE SPECIAL FIELD 857872 004 SZ 5.5NIKE Women's Air Max 90 Leather sz 7.5 Black Hematite Grey Suede Premium Ruffles In today’s post, he prescribes five actions we can embrace both individually and as organizations to avoid confirmation bias and falling into cognitive thinking traps when confronting the ramifications of emergent technologies — Enjoy!]
In part I of my blog post, I advised those advocating for the development and/or fielding of technology to be mindful of the second/third order and possible “evil” effects. I defined “evil” as an unexpected and profound negative implication(s) of the adoption/adaption of a technology and related policy. I also recommended heeding the admonition of Tim Cook, Apple’s CEO, to take responsibility for our technological creations and have the courage to think things through their potential implications – both for the good and the bad.
But even if we as individuals are willing to challenge our assumptions and think broadly and imaginatively, we can still come up short. Why? The answer is due in part to the challenges of prediction and the fact we are human with both great cognitive abilities, but also weaknesses.
First, common sense and many theorists remind us that the future is unknowable.CONVERSE ALL STAR 100 MINNE MOUSE RB OX Women's Low Cut 2WAY Sneaker US5.5-US8.0$525 Tod's Sport Sneaker Suede Black Tie Up Side Logo Athletic Shoe Flats 38.5The futurist Arthur C. Clark noted in 1962, “It is impossible to predict the future, and all attempts to do in any detail appear ludicrous within a very few years.” Within this fixed condition of unknowing, the U.S. Departments of Defense and the Army must make choices to determine:
– what capabilities we desire and its related technology;
– where to invest in research and development; and
As Michael E. Raynor pointed out in his book, WMNS NIKE AIR MAX 90 ULTRA 2.0 ULTRA EASE CASUAL SHOES WMN'S SELECT YOUR SIZE, making choices and developing strategies, which include adopting new technology, where the future is unknowable and “deeply unpredictable” either produces monumental successes or monumental failures.Womens Nike Air Max 97 UL '17 Ultra White Pure Platinum Grey SZ 12 (917704-102)Asics Gel Nimbus 19 Womens Running (B) (4306) Free AUS Delivery For a company this can spell financial ruin, while for the Army, it can spell disaster and the loss of Soldiers’ lives and national treasure. Yet, we must also choose a “way ahead” – often by considering “boundaries” – in a sense the left and right limits – of potential implications.
Second, our ability to predict when technology will become available is often in error nor can we accurately determine its implications. For example, in a New York Times editorial on December 8, 1903, it noted: “A man carrying airplane will eventually be built, Asics GEL-Quantum 360 Knit 2 [T890N-9609] Women Running Shoes Glacier GreyBona Fide Brooks Glycerin 14 Womens Fit Running Shoe (B) (064)but only if mathematicians and engineers work steadily for the next ten million years.”5 The Wright Brothers first flight took place the following week, but it took decades for commercial and military aviation to evolve.
Each of the services has faced force modernization challenges due to the adoption of technologies that weren’t mature enough; whose capabilities were over-promised; or did not support operations in the envisioned Operational Environment. For the U.S. Army, Future Combat Systems (FCS) was the most obvious and recent example of this challenge – costing billions of dollars and, just as importantly, lost time and confidence.Nike Air Huarache Run MID 807313-100 White Black Soar Pink Pow Women's Size 11.5Adidas Original Iniki Boost Runner Shoes Running Navy White Sand CQ2529 SZ 4-11
Third, in terms of future technology, predictions vary widely. For example, predictions by MIT’s Rodney Brooks and futurist/inventor Ray Kurzweil vary widely to the question – “What year do you think human-level Artificial Intelligence [AI, i.e., a true thinking machine] might be achieved with a 50% probability?” Kurzweil predicts AI (as defined) will be available in 2029, while Brooks is a bit more conservative – the year 2200 – a difference of over 170 years.Under Armour UA Charged Reactor Run Black/Grey Sportstyle Running 1298682-100WOMENS NIKE AIR FOAMPOSITE ONE DARK STUCCO BLACK AA3963-001 SIZE 9 NO LID
While one can understand the difficulty of predicting when “general AI” will be available, other technologies offer similar difficulties. The vision of the “self-driving” autonomous vehicle was first written about and experimented with in the 1920s, yet technological limitations, legal concerns, customer fears, and other barriers make implementing this capability challenging.
Lastly, as Rodney Brooks has highlighted, ***PUMA BY RIHANNA MEN’S BASKET CREEPER GLO size 12*** maintains:
“we tend to overestimate the effect of a technology in the short run and underestimate the effect in the long run.”New Balance 997 Women Made Usa Running Lifestyle Shoes Gym Limited W997ER Sz 7.5
SECOND, THIRD ORDER AND EVIL EFFECTS
– intentionally focus on the positive effects of adopting a technology;
– ignore the experts and those who identify the potential downside of technology; and
– fail to think thorough the short, long, and potentially dangerous effects or dependencies – imaginatively.
We do this because we are human, and more often because we fall into the confirmation bias or other cognitive thinking traps that might affect our program or pet technology. As noted by RAND in Truth Decay:WOMENS SAUCONY TRIUMPH ISO LADIES RUNNING/SNEAKERS/FITNESS/GYM SHOESMan/Woman Helle Comfort Women's 356-F Louis, elaborate comfortability buy online
“Cognitive biases and the ways in which human beings process information and make decisions cause people to look for information, opinion, and analyses that confirm preexisting beliefs, to weigh experience more heavily than data and facts, and then to rely on mental shortcuts and the beliefs of those in the same social networks when forming opinions and making decisions.”9
Yet, the warning signs or signals for many unanticipated effects can be found simply by conducting a literature review of government, think tank, academic, and popular reports (to perhaps include science fiction). This may deter some, given the sheer volume of literature is often overwhelming, but contained within these reports are many of the challenges associated with future technology, such as: the potential for deep fakes, loss of privacy, hacking,[asics] GEL-KAYANO 24-W Mid Grey Women's Running Shoes US 5.5 - 9.5 T799N.9690WOMENS SAUCONY HURRICANE ISO 3 LADIES RUNNING/SNEAKERS/FITNESS/GYM SHOES accidents, deception, and loss of industries/jobs.
At the national level, both the current and previous administrations published reports on AI, as has the Department of Defense – some more balanced in addressing of issues of fairness, safety, governance, and ethics.10
For example, using photo recognition to help law enforcement and others seems like a great idea, yet its use is increasingly being questioned. This past May, San Francisco became the first city to ban its use, and others may follow suit.11 While some question this decision to ban vice impose a moratorium until the technology produces less errors, the question remains – did the developers and policy makers consider if there would be push back to its introduction given its current performance?Man/Woman Drew Women's Amora Shoes Black Nubuck Practical and economical High-quality materials Excellent functionNike Air 90 ULTRA 2.0 FLYKNIT SNEAKERS Women's Lifestyle Shoes White Racer Pink What sources did they consult?
Another challenge is language. You’ve seen the commercials – “there is much we can do with AI” – in farming, business, and even beer making. While “AI” is a clever tag line, it may invoke unnecessary fear and misunderstanding. For example, I believe for most people equate “robotics” and “AI” with the “Terminator” franchise, raising the fear of uncontrolled autonomous military force overwhelming humanity. Even worse – under the moniker of “AI,” we will buy into “snake-oil” propositions.
We are at least decades away from “general AI” where a “system exhibits apparently intelligence behavior at least as advanced as a person” across the “full range of cognitive tasks,” but we continue to flaunt the use of “AI” without elaboration.B37508, adidas Shoes – Pod-S3.1 W maroon/maroon/white, Women, 2018, TextileGabor 83.335 Weiss Womens Fashion Sneaker Size 8.5M
SOME ACTIONS TO TAKE
Embrace a learning organization. Popularized by Peter Senge’s The Fifth Discipline: The Art and Practice of the Learning Organization (1990), a learning organization is a place “where people continually expand their capacity to create the results they truly desire, where new and expansive patterns of thinking are nurtured, where collective aspiration is set free, and where people are continually learning how to learn together.”Man's/Woman's Chiara Ferragni Shoes 572795 Silver 37 Fine processing Medium cost Official website While some question whether we can truly make a learning organization, Senge’s thinking may help solve our problem of identifying 2nd/3rd order and evil effects.
First, we must embrace new and expansive patterns of thinking. Force developers use the acronym – “DOTMPLF-P” as shorthand for Doctrine, Organization, Training, Materiel, Personnel, Leadership, Facilities, and Policy implications – yet other factors might be as important.
For example, trust in automated or robotics systems must be instilled and measured. In one poll, 73% of respondents noted they would be afraid of riding in a fully autonomous vehicle – up 10% points from the previous year.14 What if we develop a military autonomous vehicle or a leader-follower system and one or more of our host nation allies prohibits its use? What happens if an accident occurs and the host population protests, B37649, adidas Shoes – NMD_R1 W black/pink, Women, 2018, TextileNIKE Women's Air Presto Running Shoe, University Red/Fuchsia Blast-White, 8arguing that the Americans don’t care for their safety?
Technologists and concept developers must move from being stove-piped in labs and single-focused to consider the broader view of technological implications across functions.
Embrace Humility. Given that we cannot predict the future and its potential consequences, developers must seek out diversified opinions, and more importantly, recognize divergent opinions.
Embrace the Data. In New York City during World War II, a small organization of some of the most brilliant minds in America worked in the office of the “Applied Mathematics Panel.” In Europe, the 8th U.S. Air Force suffered from devastating bomber losses. 1807 adidas ORIGINALS DEERUPT Women's Training Running Shoes B37878Scarpa Mistral GTX Women's 30005/202 Vibram Energy Suede Nylon Hiking ShoesLeaders wondered where best to reinforce the bombers with additional armor without significantly increasing their weight to improve survivability. Reports indicated returning bombers suffered gunfire hits over the wings and fuselage, but not in the tail or cockpits, so to the casual observer it made sense to reinforce the wings and fuselage where the damage was clearly visible.
Abraham Wald, a mathematician, worked on the problem. He noted that reinforcing the spots where damage was evident in returning aircraft wasn’t necessarily the best course of action, given that hits to the cockpit and tail were probably causing aircraft (and aircrew) losses during the mission. In a series of memorandums, he developed a “method of estimating plane vulnerability based on damage of survivors.” As Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s Sherlock Holmes noted more than 100 years ago, “It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”Nike Air Max 2017 Hot Lava Womens 849560-007 Platinum Grey Running Shoes Sz 8.5WMNS NIKE FLYKNIT MAX HYPER PUNCH-BLACK-BRIGHT MANGO PINK SZ 8.5 [620659-601]
Additionally, we need to reinforce our practice of performing quality literature reviews to aid in our identification of these issues.
Employ Skepticism and a Devil’s Advocate Approach. In 1587, the Roman Catholic Church created the position of Promoter of the Faith – commonly referred to as the Devil’s Advocate. To insure a candidate for sainthood met the qualification of being canonized, the role of the Devil’s Advocate was to be the skeptic (loyal to the institution), looking for reasons why not to canonize the individual. Similarly, Leaders must embrace the concept of employing a devil’s advocate approach to identifying 2nd/3rd order and evil effects of technology – if not designating a devil’s advocate with the right expertise to identify assumptions, risks, and effects. But creating any devil’s advocate or “risk identification” positions is only useful if their input is seriously considered.
Embrace the Suck. Lastly, if we are serious in identifying the 2nd/3rd order and evil effects, Nike Air Huarache Run Womens 634835-111 Oatmeal Blue Lava Running Shoes Size 8Nike Air Zoom Pegasus 35 Premium AH8392-001 Women's Sizes US 6 ~ 12 New in Box!to include identifying new dependencies, ethical issues, or other issues which challenge the adaption or development of a new technology or policy – then we must be honest, resilient, and tough. There will be setbacks, delays, and frustration.
Technology holds the power to improve and change our personal and professional lives. For the military, technology changes the ways wars are fought (i.e., the character of war), but it may also change the nature of war by potentially reducing the “human dimension” in war. If robotics, AI, and other technological developments eliminate “danger, physical exertion, intelligence and friction,”17 is war easier to wage? Will technology increase its potential frequency? Will technology create a further separation between the military and the population by decreasing the number of personnel needed? These may be some of the 2nd/3rd order and “evil” effects we need to consider.
If you enjoyed this post, please see Dr. Marsella’s previous post “Second/Third Order, and Evil Effects” – The Dark Side of Technology (Nike Air Max 95 LX Luxe Gunsmoke Grey Suede Leather Wmns SZ 7.5 [AA1103-003])
… as well as the following posts:1711 Nike Air Zoom Mariah Flyknit Women's Training Running Shoes AA0521-001AC159 MBT shoes blue suede textile women sneakers
– AC860 MBT shoes black gray leather women sneakers, by Dr. Nir Buras