- Clark's Bendables Women's Blue Ankle Boot Ivory Shearling Trim 7
- Women's Shoes Calvin Klein Maxfield E7014 F2170/J07 Brown Suede Zip High Boot 9M
- Free People "Alamo" Olive and blue women's bootie. Size 6 Unworn
- Jessica Simpson Women's Pumella Fashion Boot, Chocolate Kiss, Size 6.0
- Chinese Laundry 'Zip It' Split Suede Ankle Boot Bootie 10 NEW! $130
- NEW Aetrex Apex Shoes Y510M Casual Walker Comfort Therapeutic Mens Size 13 M
- Invicta 21953 Mens Pro Diver Quartz Stainless Steel Casual Watch,
- Common Projects Warm White Achilles Low
- adidas CG3425 Mens Adilette Comfort Slide Sandal- Choose SZ/Color.
- SOFT WALK VENEZIA Red Suede 7.5 M Women's Slip On Loafer NIB
- Mens Sneakers High Top Basketball Shoes Outdoor Athletic Sneakers us hans
- Nike 631657-010 Match Supreme Canvas Shoes Black White Sneakers Men's Size 11.5
- Rebel by Durango Western Saddle Boots Size Men’s 8.5
- British style Men's Sueded Leather Formal Dress Oxfords Ankle Boot Shoes Size US
- New Polo Ralph Lauren men's Bearsted Olive Sport Suede Boots
- OZARK TRAIL Black & Gray Hiking, Trail Boots Men's Size 9.5
- Red Wing Mens Chukka Boots Size 12 Vintage Steel Toe Brown Leather Work Ansi
- Men's Brand New St. John's Bay Dark and light Brown Duck Boots US size 8M
- New Summer British Men Breathable Casual Moccasins Loafers Fashion Slip On Shoes
- Florsheim Men's Danforth Red Suede Moc Toe Shoes
- Jimmy Choo Nude Furrow Strappy Stilletto Sandals Size US 7.5 Regular (M, B)
- Christian Louboutin Latte Gypsandal Off White Gold Detail Sandal Stiletto Pumps Size EU 39.5 (Approx. US 9.5) Regular (M, B)
- Acne Studios Black Jensen Leather Ankle Pointy 41 Boots/Booties Size US 11 Regular (M, B)
- Puma Race Cat Ferrari schwarz Gr.42
- NIKE KOBE MAMBA INSTINCT BASKETBAL SHOES MEN'S SIZE 8
- Air Jordan Retro 11 "Gamma Blue" Size 10.5 Concord cap and gown
- adidas Originals PW Tennis HU Women's Aero Blue/Aero Blue/Chalk White B41884
- New Nike Air Max 1 Premium Shoes (Size 6.5)
- MAISON MARTIN MARGIELA x H&M High Nº 58- Trompre L'oeil Sneakers US 8 / 39 White
- Fashion Women's Suede Ankle Boots Pointy Toe High Heels Side Zip Casuals Shoes
- Nike Roshe Run various styles Tiempo Camo Print Prem Flyknit DS Roshe Two 2
- NIKE AIR MAX 90 ULTRA 2.0 ESSENTIAL (875695 013) LIGHT KHAKI
- Genuine Mink Fur Colorful Womens Snow Ankle Boots Pull On Luxury Warm Shoes Chic
- ALDO Women's Ocoinia Boot, Black Suede, 8.5 B US
- Restricted Leo Black Patent Vegan Leathjer Flat Loafer Gold Horsebit Buckle
- Nine West Womens baus Leather Closed Toe Loafers, Black, Size 10.0 6a0L
- Paul Green Munchen Womens Brown Leather Suede Flat Shoes 4.5
- Men's/Women's Arnaldo Toscani Brown Ballet Flat Shoes Diverse new design a wide range of products King of the crowd
- Women's Vionic Adeline Leather Slip-On Loafer Mule Red US Sizes
- 100% AUTHENTIC HERMES "H" LOGO CREAM/IVORY LEATHER SHOES SIZE 34
- Saucony Women's Freedom ISO Running Shoe, Blue/Citron, 7.5 B(M) US
- Nike Women's Air Huarache Run White/White Running Shoe
- Nike Classic Cortez Goddess Of Victory Womens AR5393-400 Ocean Shoes Size 11
- Ultra Boost 2.0 Clear Green Size 10 Women
- SAS SAN ANTONIO SHOEMAKERS WOMEN'S COMFORT SHOES ROAMER BLACK size 8.5 SLIM
- Frogg Toggs Canyon STFT Hipper, Khaki, SM 2711637-SM Work Boots
- Men's American Eagle Distressed Blue Denim Canvas Sneakers Sz 8 M NWOB
- Stone Haven Chestnut Tan Suede Bicycle Shoe sz 7.5 US / 40 EUR NWOB
- Trader Bay Mens 8.5 D Boat Shoes Mocassins Casual Brown Leather (K1)
- APEX Mens Brown Suede Oxfords Size 11 M Orthopedic Shoes #D35
- Women's Western Cowboy Cowgirl Boho Leather Boots Acme Vintage US Made Size 6 M
- $108 size 9.5 Splendid Lakota Nut Suede Heel Ankle Booties Womens Shoes
- CORDANI COWBOY BOOT INFLUENCED ZIP ANKLE in DISTRESSED PECAN LEATHER 40/9.5-10
- LL BEAN TEK 2.5 Womens Tan Leather Slip On Ankle Duck Toe Boot, DRI-LEX, 9 Med.
- Man's/Woman's Bright Pink Red Leather Boots Big clearance sale Attractive fashion Fashion versatile shoes
- 2017 new men's leather shoes, soft and light business casual lazy shoes
- Lacoste shoes chaymon 116 1 spm leather dark brown black size 7 new with box
- NEW Nike Eastham Txt Shoes Men (555246 414) Authentic Size 8.5
- Teva Men's Sanborn Universal Sandal 1018560 GREY Strappy Sport Sporty OUTDOOR
- 100% Authentic Marni Loafer buckle black sz 40
- VANS AUTHENTIC NAVY WHITE VN 0EE3NVY CORE CLASSIC CANVAS MEN
- World Industries Men's Drifter Athletic Casual Skate Shoe Black/White Size 6.5M
- womens ankle boot shoes rivet lined chunky heels side zip riding cute Fashon New
- MAGNUM PANTHER 8.0 COMBAT BOOTS SIZE MENS POLICE TACTICAL LEATHER
- Columbia Conspiracy Titanium Mens Shoe Boots US 9
- COWBOY WORK BOOTS ANSI Z41 PT83 TWO TONE BROWN LEATHER Sz MEN'S 8.5 D
- Nocona Premium Size 13 B Pointed Toe Leather Western Boot
- Ecco City Ankle Boots Black Leather Size 12
- Mens Leather Flip Flops Toe Slip On Loafers Beach Sandals Slippers Rivets Shoes
- Stuart Weitzman Hilo Thigh High Boots/Booties Size US 7.5 Regular (M, B)
- Christian Louboutin Black Boat Candy Flat Suede Spike Sneakers 39.5 Sneakers Size US 9.5 Regular (M, B)
- Christian Louboutin Daffodile 160mm Python Degrade Platforms Size US 7 Regular (M, B)
- NEW NIKE ZOOM ALL OUT LOW 2 - AJ0035-101 MEN'S Size 9.5
- New Mens 10 NIKE Free Trainer Virtue Platinum Volt Green Shoes $120 898052-002
- Adidas Tubular Shadow Womens BB8870 Solid Grey Granite Athletic Shoes Size 9.5
- NIKE AIR HUARACHE RUN ID TRIPLE BLACK SIZE WOMEN'S 9 [777331-982]
- TAN AEROPOSTALE FAUX FUR LINED WINTER BOOTS SIZE 6 EUC
- Cole Haan Brown Suede Tall Boots Brown Leather Strap w/ Gold Buckle sz 9 AA
- ANREALAGE Men's Shoes 231771 WhiteｘMulticolor 28.5ｃｍ
- Gentleman/Lady: Lebron 11 2k14: Fashion versatile shoes
- Nike Air Max light Green/Grey 42 Og 2009 Hoa Patta Overkill Curry Infared
- NIKE Men's Lunar Fingertrap Cross Trainer
- Marc Fisher Womens Humor 2 Faux Suede Riding Over-The-Knee Boots Shoes BHFO 3170
- Man/Woman Seychelles Women's Offstage Ankle Boot Rich design Settlement Price Full range of specifications
- Primigi NEW Black Ribbon Ankle Women's Size 7.5M Leather Ballet Flats $99
- Women Stylish Flat Sequin Breathable Outdoor Casual Slip On Loafers Muffin Shoes
- Betsey Johnson Women's Solar Mule Black/Multi Size 6.0 7B8l
- Tory Burch Gemini Link Black Leather Loafer Size 11 Slip On Women’s Shoe
- NewTORY BURCH Sienna White Leather Flat Slides (47126) - Size 6
- Kardinale Pensato KardinaleShadow Skull Women Suede Flats Shoes Size 9 Eur 39.5
- Sperry STS81799: Bluefish 2 Eye Womens Linen Boat Shoes
- Gentleman/Lady Reebok Women's Plus Lite 2.0 Sneaker New market Sales Italy Extreme speed logistics
- NIKE WOMENS AIR MAX 97 GOLD BULLET - METALLIC GOLD-VARSITY RED 885691-700
- Spring Step L'Artiste Burbank Black Leather Clogs! Size 37 Euro 6.5-7 US
- Troentorp Bastad Swedish Clogs: Da Vinci, Mid-Heel, Navy Blue Size 38
- men's shoes DI MELLA 12 () elegant black leather BZ06-E
- OpenBox XTRATUF Bama Sokket Insulating Removable Mens Boot Liners 28500
- Sperry Top Sider 2 Eye Boat Shoes Sz 8.5 M Men Two Tone
- MARC ANTHONY DAMIAN SAND Suede Leather Driving Shoes horse bit Moccasins size 7
- Diesel Mens shoes brown distressed leather shoes TOKO style size 10.5
- Born Ankle/ Ankle Boots Womens 8 Leather Tan brown
- Rocket Dog Women's Otis Shalet Ankle-High Fabric Winter Boots Charcoal US SZ 6,7
- Spot On Ladies Black Knee High Boots F50394
- DV Dolce Vita Taupe Suede Western Ankle Boots Women's Size 5 M 0001
- Frye 7110 Vintage Womens Size 5.5 B Brown Leather Tall High Heels Boots USA
[Editor’s Note: In Part I of this series, Dr. Nick Marsella addressed the duty we have to examine our assumptions about emergent warfighting technologies / capabilities and their associated implications to identify potential second / third order and “evil” effects. Reef Men's Rover Low Fashion Sneaker - Choose SZ/ColorMen/Women Skechers Men's Citywalk elison Oxford High quality and low overhead New in stock At an affordable price In today’s post, he prescribes five actions we can embrace both individually and as organizations to avoid confirmation bias and falling into cognitive thinking traps when confronting the ramifications of emergent technologies — Enjoy!]
In part I of my blog post, I advised those advocating for the development and/or fielding of technology to be mindful of the second/third order and possible “evil” effects. I defined “evil” as an unexpected and profound negative implication(s) of the adoption/adaption of a technology and related policy. I also recommended heeding the admonition of Tim Cook, Apple’s CEO, to take responsibility for our technological creations and have the courage to think things through their potential implications – both for the good and the bad.
But even if we as individuals are willing to challenge our assumptions and think broadly and imaginatively, we can still come up short. Why? The answer is due in part to the challenges of prediction and the fact we are human with both great cognitive abilities, but also weaknesses.
First, common sense and many theorists remind us that the future is unknowable.ASICS Men's Hypersprint Track And Field ShoeSanuk Men's Nu-Nami Grain Slub Sneaker - Choose SZ/ColorThe futurist Arthur C. Clark noted in 1962, “It is impossible to predict the future, and all attempts to do in any detail appear ludicrous within a very few years.” Within this fixed condition of unknowing, the U.S. Departments of Defense and the Army must make choices to determine:
– what capabilities we desire and its related technology;
– where to invest in research and development; and
As Michael E. Raynor pointed out in his book, Man's/Woman's MEN'S ADIDAS ORIGINALS CAMPUS SHOES BB0082 flagship store modern Great choice, making choices and developing strategies, which include adopting new technology, where the future is unknowable and “deeply unpredictable” either produces monumental successes or monumental failures.Adidas Tubular X Casual Men's Shoes SizeG.H. Bass & Co. Mens Wyatt Slip-on Loafer, Dark Tan, 11 M US For a company this can spell financial ruin, while for the Army, it can spell disaster and the loss of Soldiers’ lives and national treasure. Yet, we must also choose a “way ahead” – often by considering “boundaries” – in a sense the left and right limits – of potential implications.
Second, our ability to predict when technology will become available is often in error nor can we accurately determine its implications. For example, in a New York Times editorial on December 8, 1903, it noted: “A man carrying airplane will eventually be built, Man's/Woman's Crevo Men's Aerox Fashion Sneaker Fine workmanship Fast delivery Lightweight shoesStacy Adams Men's Pippin-Perfed Driving Moc Oxford - Choose SZ/Colorbut only if mathematicians and engineers work steadily for the next ten million years.”5 The Wright Brothers first flight took place the following week, but it took decades for commercial and military aviation to evolve.
Each of the services has faced force modernization challenges due to the adoption of technologies that weren’t mature enough; whose capabilities were over-promised; or did not support operations in the envisioned Operational Environment. For the U.S. Army, Future Combat Systems (FCS) was the most obvious and recent example of this challenge – costing billions of dollars and, just as importantly, lost time and confidence.etnies Men's FSAS X Twitch Jefferson Skate ShoeNew Men shoes black leather men's casual shoes Handmade luxurious Zapatos Hombre
Third, in terms of future technology, predictions vary widely. For example, predictions by MIT’s Rodney Brooks and futurist/inventor Ray Kurzweil vary widely to the question – “What year do you think human-level Artificial Intelligence [AI, i.e., a true thinking machine] might be achieved with a 50% probability?” Kurzweil predicts AI (as defined) will be available in 2029, while Brooks is a bit more conservative – the year 2200 – a difference of over 170 years.Skechers Sport Men's Flex Advantage S Fisherman Sandal,Gentleman/Lady adidas X 15+ Primeknit Court Guarantee quality and quantity Quality First Different goods
While one can understand the difficulty of predicting when “general AI” will be available, other technologies offer similar difficulties. The vision of the “self-driving” autonomous vehicle was first written about and experimented with in the 1920s, yet technological limitations, legal concerns, customer fears, and other barriers make implementing this capability challenging.
Lastly, as Rodney Brooks has highlighted, Skechers USA Men's Glides Soman OxfordCharcoal7 M US maintains:
“we tend to overestimate the effect of a technology in the short run and underestimate the effect in the long run.”Gentlemen/Ladies PUMA Men's Xs500 TK Graphic Sneaker flagship store Modern and stylish fashion Different styles and styles
SECOND, THIRD ORDER AND EVIL EFFECTS
– intentionally focus on the positive effects of adopting a technology;
– ignore the experts and those who identify the potential downside of technology; and
– fail to think thorough the short, long, and potentially dangerous effects or dependencies – imaginatively.
We do this because we are human, and more often because we fall into the confirmation bias or other cognitive thinking traps that might affect our program or pet technology. As noted by RAND in Truth Decay:Man/Woman Skechers Men's Recent Merven Oxford Aesthetic appearance a wide range of products Known for its beautiful qualityMen/Women NEW ATTIMONELLI'S MENS LOAFER superior Let our products go to the world Excellent function
“Cognitive biases and the ways in which human beings process information and make decisions cause people to look for information, opinion, and analyses that confirm preexisting beliefs, to weigh experience more heavily than data and facts, and then to rely on mental shortcuts and the beliefs of those in the same social networks when forming opinions and making decisions.”9
Yet, the warning signs or signals for many unanticipated effects can be found simply by conducting a literature review of government, think tank, academic, and popular reports (to perhaps include science fiction). This may deter some, given the sheer volume of literature is often overwhelming, but contained within these reports are many of the challenges associated with future technology, such as: the potential for deep fakes, loss of privacy, hacking,Man's/Woman's Asics Mens Gel Lyte V Diverse new design Highly praised and appreciated by the consumer audience Tide shoes listPUMA FUNIST LO SUEDE-M Mens Funist Lo Suede Sneaker, Peacoat/Steel Gray, 11.5 D accidents, deception, and loss of industries/jobs.
At the national level, both the current and previous administrations published reports on AI, as has the Department of Defense – some more balanced in addressing of issues of fairness, safety, governance, and ethics.10
For example, using photo recognition to help law enforcement and others seems like a great idea, yet its use is increasingly being questioned. This past May, San Francisco became the first city to ban its use, and others may follow suit.11 While some question this decision to ban vice impose a moratorium until the technology produces less errors, the question remains – did the developers and policy makers consider if there would be push back to its introduction given its current performance?Converse Unisex Chuck Taylor All Star Ox Basketball ShoeMan/Woman Madden Men's Turfs Oxford Selling Order welcome Explosive good goods What sources did they consult?
Another challenge is language. You’ve seen the commercials – “there is much we can do with AI” – in farming, business, and even beer making. While “AI” is a clever tag line, it may invoke unnecessary fear and misunderstanding. For example, I believe for most people equate “robotics” and “AI” with the “Terminator” franchise, raising the fear of uncontrolled autonomous military force overwhelming humanity. Even worse – under the moniker of “AI,” we will buy into “snake-oil” propositions.
We are at least decades away from “general AI” where a “system exhibits apparently intelligence behavior at least as advanced as a person” across the “full range of cognitive tasks,” but we continue to flaunt the use of “AI” without elaboration.VAVC Men's Black Leather Band Causal Analog Dress Quartz Wrist Watch with...ManChDa Men's Skeleton Automatic Mechanical Steampunk Burlywood Dial Bronze...
SOME ACTIONS TO TAKE
Embrace a learning organization. Popularized by Peter Senge’s The Fifth Discipline: The Art and Practice of the Learning Organization (1990), a learning organization is a place “where people continually expand their capacity to create the results they truly desire, where new and expansive patterns of thinking are nurtured, where collective aspiration is set free, and where people are continually learning how to learn together.”Man/Woman Steve Madden Men's Vaggio Elegant and sturdy set meal Online export store classic style While some question whether we can truly make a learning organization, Senge’s thinking may help solve our problem of identifying 2nd/3rd order and evil effects.
First, we must embrace new and expansive patterns of thinking. Force developers use the acronym – “DOTMPLF-P” as shorthand for Doctrine, Organization, Training, Materiel, Personnel, Leadership, Facilities, and Policy implications – yet other factors might be as important.
For example, trust in automated or robotics systems must be instilled and measured. In one poll, 73% of respondents noted they would be afraid of riding in a fully autonomous vehicle – up 10% points from the previous year.14 What if we develop a military autonomous vehicle or a leader-follower system and one or more of our host nation allies prohibits its use? What happens if an accident occurs and the host population protests, VISCATA BARCELONA SITGES BLUE CANVEAS LONA 112 MARINO-LO 9.5 / 43 ESPADRILLESVionic Size 8 Brown Leather Loafers New Mens Shoesarguing that the Americans don’t care for their safety?
Technologists and concept developers must move from being stove-piped in labs and single-focused to consider the broader view of technological implications across functions.
Embrace Humility. Given that we cannot predict the future and its potential consequences, developers must seek out diversified opinions, and more importantly, recognize divergent opinions.
Embrace the Data. In New York City during World War II, a small organization of some of the most brilliant minds in America worked in the office of the “Applied Mathematics Panel.” In Europe, the 8th U.S. Air Force suffered from devastating bomber losses. Rockport "Get Your Kicks (GYK) Gore Slip-on" Men's Shoe, Black, Size 8MCHURCH'S Leather Wing-Tip Tassel Dress Loafer HANDMADE Made In Italy BordeauxLeaders wondered where best to reinforce the bombers with additional armor without significantly increasing their weight to improve survivability. Reports indicated returning bombers suffered gunfire hits over the wings and fuselage, but not in the tail or cockpits, so to the casual observer it made sense to reinforce the wings and fuselage where the damage was clearly visible.
Abraham Wald, a mathematician, worked on the problem. He noted that reinforcing the spots where damage was evident in returning aircraft wasn’t necessarily the best course of action, given that hits to the cockpit and tail were probably causing aircraft (and aircrew) losses during the mission. In a series of memorandums, he developed a “method of estimating plane vulnerability based on damage of survivors.” As Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s Sherlock Holmes noted more than 100 years ago, “It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”Authentic Olukai Nui Men's Sandal Flip Flops - Tan/Tan, US Size 9VANS ERA DECON CA VN-0OX1FC4 CLASSIC LEATHER FERN GREEN SIZE: 10.5
Additionally, we need to reinforce our practice of performing quality literature reviews to aid in our identification of these issues.
Employ Skepticism and a Devil’s Advocate Approach. In 1587, the Roman Catholic Church created the position of Promoter of the Faith – commonly referred to as the Devil’s Advocate. To insure a candidate for sainthood met the qualification of being canonized, the role of the Devil’s Advocate was to be the skeptic (loyal to the institution), looking for reasons why not to canonize the individual. Similarly, Leaders must embrace the concept of employing a devil’s advocate approach to identifying 2nd/3rd order and evil effects of technology – if not designating a devil’s advocate with the right expertise to identify assumptions, risks, and effects. But creating any devil’s advocate or “risk identification” positions is only useful if their input is seriously considered.
Embrace the Suck. Lastly, if we are serious in identifying the 2nd/3rd order and evil effects, Mark Nason Los Angeles Men's Felton Sneaker - Choose SZ/ColorAsics S705N-1111: Men's Stone Grey/Stone Grey/Black Gel-Craze TR 4 Sneakersto include identifying new dependencies, ethical issues, or other issues which challenge the adaption or development of a new technology or policy – then we must be honest, resilient, and tough. There will be setbacks, delays, and frustration.
Technology holds the power to improve and change our personal and professional lives. For the military, technology changes the ways wars are fought (i.e., the character of war), but it may also change the nature of war by potentially reducing the “human dimension” in war. If robotics, AI, and other technological developments eliminate “danger, physical exertion, intelligence and friction,”17 is war easier to wage? Will technology increase its potential frequency? Will technology create a further separation between the military and the population by decreasing the number of personnel needed? These may be some of the 2nd/3rd order and “evil” effects we need to consider.
If you enjoyed this post, please see Dr. Marsella’s previous post “Second/Third Order, and Evil Effects” – The Dark Side of Technology (Mens DUNHAM BY NEW BALANCE brown leather fashion sneakers sz. 10.5 NEW!)
… as well as the following posts:Avenger Men's A7106 Composite Toe EH Slip-On Shoe Brown Full Grain Crazy HorseAdidas Matchcourt Mid Slip Shoe - Men's
– New Cole-Hann Riviera 11 M white grain leather, by Dr. Nir Buras