- BANANA BLUES USA MEN'S FRANK CASUAL HIGH TOP SHOES SNEAKERS MEN SIZE 9 NEW IB
- DONALD J PLINER ESTRO SPORT BROWN ITALIAN LEATHER DRIVING MOCS MENS SIZE 7.5 M
- Steven by Steve Madden Knee High Boots Black Leather PLINK Sz 7
- Windriver Women's 4" Rain Boot Duck Boot Black/White/Gray Size 6M
- Franco Sarto light Brown Leather and Suede Ankle Boots Size 9
- Andre Assous Womens Larissa Premium Leather Back-Zip Boots Size 39 (8.5M) New
- STEVE MADDEN Ivory detail BROWN Ruched LEATHER Western BOOTS Cowgirl size 9
- MARK NASON los angeles DAINES COGNAC 68547 / COG mens 10.5 US
- DSQUARED2 MEN'S SHOES LEATHER TRAINERS SNEAKERS NEW 551 WHITE 276
- Steve Madden Mens Mastic Purple Slide Sport Sandals Shoes 7 Medium (D) BHFO 9599
- Teva Men's M Terra-Float FLIP Sandal, - Choose SZ/Color
- Sigerson Morrison Women’s Vinal Suede Stitched Ballet Flats Retail $278 size 9.5
- Mens Soccer Shoes Outdoor Boots Sports Football Cleats Fashion Running Walking
- CONVERSE ALL STAR CHUCK TAYLOR M5039 BLACK MONOCHROME OX BASKETBALL MEN
- Himalayan Men's Size 6 Motorcycle Boots Black with Shift Guard
- Nike Women's Free Trainer 6 833413-142 White/Navy sizes 6, 7 $100 Box
- Gentleman/Lady Lugz Men's Mallard Fashion Boot Various goods special function Current shape
- J Chisholm 0995 Leather Cowboy boots 11 EE Gray
- Kenneth Cole Unlisted Men's Roll With It Boots Cognac Size 10 M
- Handsome Black Leather JOSEF SEIBEL Chukka Boots Sz 41M US 8
- Gentlemen/Ladies Fine Men's Leather Shoes High quality and cheap stable quality Recommended today
- Rockport Mens Essential Details Waterproof Slip On Dark Tan- Select SZ/Color.
- Men's PUMA Basket Classic Weatherproof Trainers Shoes
- Jimmy Choo New Letti Striped Python 40 Runway Pumps Size US 10
- Christian Louboutin Gold New Follies Strass 100 Illusion 41 Pumps Size US 11 Regular (M, B)
- Rene Caovilla Ivory Strass Sandals Size EU 39 (Approx. US 9) Regular (M, B)
- MENS NIKE TRAIN ULTRAFAST FLYKNIT CRIMSON ORANGE SZ 10.5
- NIKE Davinho Men's Indoor Soccer Shoes Black/White (NIB) Size 10 & 11.5
- Women Adidas CQ2563 Court vantage casual shoes blue sneakers
- Nike Air Zoom Revive VTG Tennis Sneaker '06 Multi Pink White Athletic WTA Hip
- Converse Women's Madison Leather Low Top Sneaker - Choose SZ/Color
- Allegra K Women's Round Toe Chunky Heel Platform Ankle Boots
- NIKE FREE FLYKNIT MENS RUNNING SHOES - MENS SIZE 10.5
- Mens Nike Air Force 1 ´07 AA4083-003 Black/Gym Blue Brand New Size 7.5
- WMNS Under Armour Hightide Translucent Fat Tire Boots Purple SZ ( 1297599-878 )
- CLARKS Women's Mazlyn West Winter Boot - Choose SZ/color
- Burberry Quinsley Women's Boots Bootie Suede Shearling Cuff Black 38/8 $795
- Retro Vintage Women's Shoes Pumps Casual Round Toe Tassel Loafers Slip On Casual
- Rockport Womens Total Motion Luxe Valerie Pump, Black Patent, Size 9.0
- Tommy Hilfiger Womens Balbina Oxford- Pick SZ/Color.
- $200 Authentic DIESEL Women's Galyal Flats Hot Red Ballerina Dress Shoes
- SONIA RYKIEL THEORY RED SATIN SIGNATURE SIGNED POINTED BALLET FLATS SIZE 40 - 10
- NIKE AIR MAX ID (823376-993) WHITE- BLUE -YELLOW WOMAN's SIZE 8.5
- Reebok Women's Print HER 2.0 GR Track Shoe - Choose SZ/Color
- Nike Air Force 1 High Women's University Red/University Red 49266601
- BORN BOC Women's PEGGY C00057 Leather Clogs Size 6.5M, Chocolate Oiled 898
- NO. 21 Women's Knot Crystal Satin Slide Military Satin Slides
- JOHN LOBB/ASTON MARTIN WINNER SPORT BEIGE LEATHER DRIVING SHOE US 12
- AUTH CAR SHOE BY PRADA SHOES ST MORITZ SOLE KUT755 BLACK US 12
- Guess Men’s Toledo High Top Sneakers In Black Suede Shoes Size 10.5
- Stacy Adams Men's Santino Moc Toe Oxford Navy,8.5 M
- NIKE MAN SNEAKER SHOES VARIED COLORS CODE 311082 108 - 311082 402 - 311082 404
- girls faux suede bohemian tassel knee high hidden wedge heels boots casual shoes
- I. Ameliee Side Studded Knee High Boots, Cognac, 5 US Display
- Steve Madden Women's Burgundy Rocco Boot 8M
- Nine West Womens Boots Synthetic Snakeskin Blondey Size 7M High Heel Zip Calf
- Lauren Ralph Lauren Brown Gold Chain Ankle Booties Size 9.5
- Men chic crocodile pattern slip on loafers Driving Casual Leather shoes Hot 2018
- DR MARTENS 8053 GAUCHO BARK BROWN GREASY LEATHER PADDED MIE ENGLAND 5 EYE
- DSQUARED2 MEN'S SHOES LEATHER TRAINERS SNEAKERS NEW 551 WHITE F32
- ROCKPORT V79626 GYKS THONG MEN'S BLACK/GREY SANDALS
- Cole Haan Womens W02591 Closed Toe Loafers, Caviar, Size 6.0
- Men/Women Nike Zoom Rival S7 Orange/Black use high quality classic style
- Nike Free Revolution 2 Men Size 9.5 Running Training Lightweight Black Sneaker
- Revenant Mens Black Snow Duck Toe Winter Boots Shoes 12 Medium (D) BHFO 8245
- Botin Charro BESSERRO Black Leather Cowboy Western Boots Mens Size 27.5 Mexico
- DINGO MEN'S 11" BROWN HARNESS MOTORCYCLE EXTRA WIDE WIDTH BOOTS SZ 8.5EW, 9.5 EW
- Men's Winter Hi Tops Hiking Boots with Fur Big Size Outdoor Casual Walking Shoes
- Christian Louboutin Gold Nenecheritza Glitter Platform Pumps Size EU 37.5 (Approx. US 7.5) Regular (M, B)
- Christian Louboutin Version Gold/Black Tina Cage 100 Patent Leather Suede Sandals 39.5 Pumps Size US 9.5 Regular (M, B)
- Giuseppe Zanotti Black Gold New Boots/Booties Size EU 35 (Approx. US 5) Regular (M, B)
- Men's Nike Jordan Flight Flex Trainer Training Infrared 23 White Wolf Grey 9.5
- NIKE Texas Longhorns Train Speed 4 Mens 13 Shoes Burnt Orange 844102 800
- Adidas Stan Smith Primeknit Womens BB5147 White Solar Yellow Shoes Size 5.5
- Gentleman/Lady Rockport Men's Elkhart Snow Boot the most convenient Skilled manufacturing Perfect processing
- NIB $125 Converse Chuck Taylor Premium Ox Walnut 132850C US Mens 10
- Fashion Men Leather Metal Pointed Toe High Heel Shoes Nightclub Party M551
- Men Oxford Genuine Leather Square Toes British Slip On Dress Casual Chic Shoes
- Men/Women: nike airmax 1 flynit: export
- NEW WOMENS 9.5 NIKE AIR ZOOM TERRA KIGER 4 TRAIL RUNNING BLUE GREY BLACK 880564
- VANS Sk8 Hi Slim Zip (Scotchgard) Pink Suede Skate Shoes WOMEN'S SZ 5
- Womens Ladies Retro Suede Embroidery Floral Ankle Riding Boots Heels Shoes F107
- Nike Air Max Lebron 7 VII Bred White Black Red 2009 (375664-102) size 12
- Nike Air Force 1 Mid 07' Lv8 Uv Mens Style : Ao0702
- Winter Women Knee High Round Toe Print Footwear Thick Heels Motorcycle Boot
- Sequins Womens Thigh High Boots Gols Open Toe Gladiator Roam Shoes Stilettos Hot
- Bettye Muller Women's Fringe Bootie, Chocolate, 7.5 M US
- Womens Pointy Toe Solid Punk Shoe Flat Casual Dating Dress Patent Leather Sliper
- Nine West Womens NORELLA Closed Toe Loafers, Black, Size 6.0 LC5E
- Womens Rabbit Fur Furry Winter Warm Fashion Slippers Shoes Embrodiery Chic Mules
- Man's/Woman's Augustine Black Franco Sarto Loafer Flat use a good reputation in the world Authentic guarantee
[Editor’s Note: In Part I of this series, Dr. Nick Marsella addressed the duty we have to examine our assumptions about emergent warfighting technologies / capabilities and their associated implications to identify potential second / third order and “evil” effects. Vogue Womens Warm Winter Ankle Boots Suede Hidden Wedge Heels Leisure Shoes G105Teva Little Cloud Brown Suede Leather Waterproof Insulated Winter Boots Women 8 In today’s post, he prescribes five actions we can embrace both individually and as organizations to avoid confirmation bias and falling into cognitive thinking traps when confronting the ramifications of emergent technologies — Enjoy!]
In part I of my blog post, I advised those advocating for the development and/or fielding of technology to be mindful of the second/third order and possible “evil” effects. I defined “evil” as an unexpected and profound negative implication(s) of the adoption/adaption of a technology and related policy. I also recommended heeding the admonition of Tim Cook, Apple’s CEO, to take responsibility for our technological creations and have the courage to think things through their potential implications – both for the good and the bad.
But even if we as individuals are willing to challenge our assumptions and think broadly and imaginatively, we can still come up short. Why? The answer is due in part to the challenges of prediction and the fact we are human with both great cognitive abilities, but also weaknesses.
First, common sense and many theorists remind us that the future is unknowable.Women Bling Sequins Nightclub Zip Stretch Knee High Boots Dancing Shoes SizeWomens Fur Trim Round toe Leather Boots Platform Lined Winter Warm Pull On ShoesThe futurist Arthur C. Clark noted in 1962, “It is impossible to predict the future, and all attempts to do in any detail appear ludicrous within a very few years.” Within this fixed condition of unknowing, the U.S. Departments of Defense and the Army must make choices to determine:
– what capabilities we desire and its related technology;
– where to invest in research and development; and
As Michael E. Raynor pointed out in his book, Womens Fall round toe front zipper low heel faux leather ankle boots High Top, making choices and developing strategies, which include adopting new technology, where the future is unknowable and “deeply unpredictable” either produces monumental successes or monumental failures.Blowfish Women's Daphna Ankle Bootie Black Embossed Fawn Polyurethane 8 B(M) USBlack Velvet Witch Wizard Evil Queen Halloween Costume Boots Womans 8 9 10 For a company this can spell financial ruin, while for the Army, it can spell disaster and the loss of Soldiers’ lives and national treasure. Yet, we must also choose a “way ahead” – often by considering “boundaries” – in a sense the left and right limits – of potential implications.
Second, our ability to predict when technology will become available is often in error nor can we accurately determine its implications. For example, in a New York Times editorial on December 8, 1903, it noted: “A man carrying airplane will eventually be built, Madden Girl Womens Wendiee Closed Toe Knee High Fashion Black Paris Size 7.0 U2017 Winter Platform Block Chunky Heel Punk Womens Ankle Boots Warm Lined Shoesbut only if mathematicians and engineers work steadily for the next ten million years.”5 The Wright Brothers first flight took place the following week, but it took decades for commercial and military aviation to evolve.
Each of the services has faced force modernization challenges due to the adoption of technologies that weren’t mature enough; whose capabilities were over-promised; or did not support operations in the envisioned Operational Environment. For the U.S. Army, Future Combat Systems (FCS) was the most obvious and recent example of this challenge – costing billions of dollars and, just as importantly, lost time and confidence.Women Patent Leather Pointy High Heel Platform Stiletto Sexy Over Knee Long BootWomens Vintage Leather Pointy Toe Block Heel Combat British Dress Ankle Boots SZ
Third, in terms of future technology, predictions vary widely. For example, predictions by MIT’s Rodney Brooks and futurist/inventor Ray Kurzweil vary widely to the question – “What year do you think human-level Artificial Intelligence [AI, i.e., a true thinking machine] might be achieved with a 50% probability?” Kurzweil predicts AI (as defined) will be available in 2029, while Brooks is a bit more conservative – the year 2200 – a difference of over 170 years.Occident Womens Block Heels Nightclub Suede Leather Pointed Toe Ankle Boots SzVince Camuto Women's Bessey Suede Block-Heeled Ankle Booties Graystone
While one can understand the difficulty of predicting when “general AI” will be available, other technologies offer similar difficulties. The vision of the “self-driving” autonomous vehicle was first written about and experimented with in the 1920s, yet technological limitations, legal concerns, customer fears, and other barriers make implementing this capability challenging.
Lastly, as Rodney Brooks has highlighted, ZARA SS2017 EMBROIDERED DETAIL ANKLE BOOTS BLUE BOOTS maintains:
“we tend to overestimate the effect of a technology in the short run and underestimate the effect in the long run.”Womens Black Leather Over Knee Thigh High boots Pleated High Heels casual Shoes
SECOND, THIRD ORDER AND EVIL EFFECTS
– intentionally focus on the positive effects of adopting a technology;
– ignore the experts and those who identify the potential downside of technology; and
– fail to think thorough the short, long, and potentially dangerous effects or dependencies – imaginatively.
We do this because we are human, and more often because we fall into the confirmation bias or other cognitive thinking traps that might affect our program or pet technology. As noted by RAND in Truth Decay:Mr/Ms , Black, Size 7.0 3Hyq Clever and practical discount price Speed refundSexy Black Retro Gogo Halloween Costume 2" Heel Knee High Boots RET302/B
“Cognitive biases and the ways in which human beings process information and make decisions cause people to look for information, opinion, and analyses that confirm preexisting beliefs, to weigh experience more heavily than data and facts, and then to rely on mental shortcuts and the beliefs of those in the same social networks when forming opinions and making decisions.”9
Yet, the warning signs or signals for many unanticipated effects can be found simply by conducting a literature review of government, think tank, academic, and popular reports (to perhaps include science fiction). This may deter some, given the sheer volume of literature is often overwhelming, but contained within these reports are many of the challenges associated with future technology, such as: the potential for deep fakes, loss of privacy, hacking,Rock Womens Motorcycle Leather Buckles Studded Rivet Flat Ankle Calf Boot ShoesWomens FRANCO SARTO stylish black leather suede boots sz. 5 M NEW accidents, deception, and loss of industries/jobs.
At the national level, both the current and previous administrations published reports on AI, as has the Department of Defense – some more balanced in addressing of issues of fairness, safety, governance, and ethics.10
For example, using photo recognition to help law enforcement and others seems like a great idea, yet its use is increasingly being questioned. This past May, San Francisco became the first city to ban its use, and others may follow suit.11 While some question this decision to ban vice impose a moratorium until the technology produces less errors, the question remains – did the developers and policy makers consider if there would be push back to its introduction given its current performance?Womens Over Knee Boots Suede Pom Pom Ball High Heels Pointy Toe Pull On ShoesVince Camuto Women's Elvin Bootie - Choose SZ/Color What sources did they consult?
Another challenge is language. You’ve seen the commercials – “there is much we can do with AI” – in farming, business, and even beer making. While “AI” is a clever tag line, it may invoke unnecessary fear and misunderstanding. For example, I believe for most people equate “robotics” and “AI” with the “Terminator” franchise, raising the fear of uncontrolled autonomous military force overwhelming humanity. Even worse – under the moniker of “AI,” we will buy into “snake-oil” propositions.
We are at least decades away from “general AI” where a “system exhibits apparently intelligence behavior at least as advanced as a person” across the “full range of cognitive tasks,” but we continue to flaunt the use of “AI” without elaboration.Jeffrey Campbell womens shoe 8.5 Zip 2 snake leather wedge strappy pointy toePUMA Women's Rebel Mid WNS Velvet Rope BL Sneaker - Choose SZ/color
SOME ACTIONS TO TAKE
Embrace a learning organization. Popularized by Peter Senge’s The Fifth Discipline: The Art and Practice of the Learning Organization (1990), a learning organization is a place “where people continually expand their capacity to create the results they truly desire, where new and expansive patterns of thinking are nurtured, where collective aspiration is set free, and where people are continually learning how to learn together.”Men/Women KS35 Cahleb Dress Ankle Booties, Black Fine workmanship Lush design Simple While some question whether we can truly make a learning organization, Senge’s thinking may help solve our problem of identifying 2nd/3rd order and evil effects.
First, we must embrace new and expansive patterns of thinking. Force developers use the acronym – “DOTMPLF-P” as shorthand for Doctrine, Organization, Training, Materiel, Personnel, Leadership, Facilities, and Policy implications – yet other factors might be as important.
For example, trust in automated or robotics systems must be instilled and measured. In one poll, 73% of respondents noted they would be afraid of riding in a fully autonomous vehicle – up 10% points from the previous year.14 What if we develop a military autonomous vehicle or a leader-follower system and one or more of our host nation allies prohibits its use? What happens if an accident occurs and the host population protests, Man's/Woman's Boot G by GUESS Tammie Camel use Fine art Most practicalNational style Womens shoes Chunky heel Pull on Tassel Embroidery Ankle Bootsarguing that the Americans don’t care for their safety?
Technologists and concept developers must move from being stove-piped in labs and single-focused to consider the broader view of technological implications across functions.
Embrace Humility. Given that we cannot predict the future and its potential consequences, developers must seek out diversified opinions, and more importantly, recognize divergent opinions.
Embrace the Data. In New York City during World War II, a small organization of some of the most brilliant minds in America worked in the office of the “Applied Mathematics Panel.” In Europe, the 8th U.S. Air Force suffered from devastating bomber losses. Women's Texas Boots Company Leather Gold Cowboy Boots Women's Sz 6 Made In USASoda Red Reno Western Cowboy Pointed Toe Knee High Pull On Tabs Cowgirl BootsLeaders wondered where best to reinforce the bombers with additional armor without significantly increasing their weight to improve survivability. Reports indicated returning bombers suffered gunfire hits over the wings and fuselage, but not in the tail or cockpits, so to the casual observer it made sense to reinforce the wings and fuselage where the damage was clearly visible.
Abraham Wald, a mathematician, worked on the problem. He noted that reinforcing the spots where damage was evident in returning aircraft wasn’t necessarily the best course of action, given that hits to the cockpit and tail were probably causing aircraft (and aircrew) losses during the mission. In a series of memorandums, he developed a “method of estimating plane vulnerability based on damage of survivors.” As Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s Sherlock Holmes noted more than 100 years ago, “It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”Womens Ladies Cuban Heels Pointy Toe Shoes Buckle Booties Leather Boots Casual LMan's/Woman's CLARKS Women's Maypearl Tulsa Ankle Bootie Long-term reputation In short supply Exquisite processing
Additionally, we need to reinforce our practice of performing quality literature reviews to aid in our identification of these issues.
Employ Skepticism and a Devil’s Advocate Approach. In 1587, the Roman Catholic Church created the position of Promoter of the Faith – commonly referred to as the Devil’s Advocate. To insure a candidate for sainthood met the qualification of being canonized, the role of the Devil’s Advocate was to be the skeptic (loyal to the institution), looking for reasons why not to canonize the individual. Similarly, Leaders must embrace the concept of employing a devil’s advocate approach to identifying 2nd/3rd order and evil effects of technology – if not designating a devil’s advocate with the right expertise to identify assumptions, risks, and effects. But creating any devil’s advocate or “risk identification” positions is only useful if their input is seriously considered.
Embrace the Suck. Lastly, if we are serious in identifying the 2nd/3rd order and evil effects, Polo Ralph Lauren Black Suede Fringe Booties - 6Steve Madden Womens Brisk Ankle Boot Shoes, Camel, US 7.5to include identifying new dependencies, ethical issues, or other issues which challenge the adaption or development of a new technology or policy – then we must be honest, resilient, and tough. There will be setbacks, delays, and frustration.
Technology holds the power to improve and change our personal and professional lives. For the military, technology changes the ways wars are fought (i.e., the character of war), but it may also change the nature of war by potentially reducing the “human dimension” in war. If robotics, AI, and other technological developments eliminate “danger, physical exertion, intelligence and friction,”17 is war easier to wage? Will technology increase its potential frequency? Will technology create a further separation between the military and the population by decreasing the number of personnel needed? These may be some of the 2nd/3rd order and “evil” effects we need to consider.
If you enjoyed this post, please see Dr. Marsella’s previous post “Second/Third Order, and Evil Effects” – The Dark Side of Technology (Boots 8 M BROWN Wide Calf women round toe knee high Riding Indigo Rd. Cherish)
… as well as the following posts:New Jack Rogers Womens Sawyer Olive Suede Riding, Equestrian Boots Size 8New Baffin Womens Litew012 Brown Snow Boots Size 9
– Enzo Angolini Boots Brown Pebbled Leather Buckle Side Zip Block Heel Size 6M EUC, by Dr. Nir Buras