- Klogs Women's Leather Dark Green Slip Resistant Non-Marking Slip On Shoe Size?8M
- DANSKO Women's PROFESSIONAL Black CLOG SHOES Size 36
- Gentleman/Lady DSQUARED2 Dark Blue 551 Sneaker quality Fine art As of the latest model
- MENS SIZE 9.5 SKETCHERS STEEL TOE SNEAKERS WITH SLIP RESISTANT SOLE
- Smart Formal Men Print Floral Mules Slip On Dress Driving Shoes Wedding Loafers
- Cole Haan Driving Moccasins Sz 8.5 Men Black Leather Slip On Made India YGI L7
- Men's To Boot New York Black Leather Oxford Shoes size 12
- G&G Italy Black Rubber Wellington Stylish Rain Boots Women SZ 8 US 39 EU
- ALDO Silver Metallic Velvet Block Heel Over The Knee Boots Women's Size 9
- JUST FAB FAUX LEATHER FLORAL PULL ON RAIN BOOTS 1.25" HEEL
- Lucky Brand Womens HARLEEN Leather Almond Toe Over Knee, Nutmeg, Size 6.5
- Ralph Lauren Brown Leather Pointed Toe Zip Up Mid Calf Boots Size 7.5
- Prada Men’s Shoes - (Prada Size 7 1/2)
- GARETH PUGH New Man Black Leather Ankle Sneakers Trainer Shoes Size 42 ita PRECO
- $775 Sutor Mantellassi Yellow Shoes Size 7.5 (US) / 6.5 (EU)
- NIKE AIR JORDAN HYDRO 11 'Emerald' Men's Sandals AA1336 117 Size 11
- Gentleman/Lady Alegria Womens Madi Wedge flagship store Upper material Perfect processing
- NIKE Air Visi Pro 3 Men’s Size 10 Mid-Hi Top Athletic Shoes Basketball Shoes
- [CQ3081] MEN'S ADIDAS ORIGINALS NMD_R2 SUMMER TRACE ORANGE GUM WHITE ADM229
- Men's Climate X Waterproof Thermolite Boots YC-1 Brown Size 9.5 NIB
- Vegan 7 Hole Boots 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 red oxblood cherry red
- Polo Ralph Lauren Mens Leather Boots Size 12 Country
- DAKOTA Mens 8'' 8410 Composite Toe Composite Plate Injected Work Boot Brown 9M
- EUC Nike ACG Woodside II Obsidian Navy Blue Orange Boots Sz 9.5 525393
- SKECHERS "EQUALIZER 2.0-LODINI" MEN'S SLIP ON SHOE, NAVY, 51545/NVY
- Men Kenneth Cole Shoes Design 10917 Fashion Black Size 12
- Christian Louboutin Black Daffy 160 Suede Daffodile Euro 40 / Pumps Size US 10
- Christian Louboutin Nude Lady Peep Toe Platforms Size US 6.5 Regular (M, B)
- Fendi Black White Pink Karlito Women's Slip Ons Sneakers Size EU 40.5 (Approx. US 10.5) Regular (M, B)
- NIB Nike Air Jordan Retro 2 Radio Raheem Black Photo Blue mens 10
- Hugo Boss Shuttle Tenn Tech Mens 50379295-401 Dark Blue Casual Shoes Size 12
- Puma Women’s Vikky Low-Top Sneakers Blue (Baja Blue-white) 4.5
- NIKE HYPERDUNK 2016 TB PROMO BASKETBALL SHOES BLACK WHITE 856483-100 SIZE 18
- ADIDAS NMD R2 WEIß BOOST CQ2009 DAMEN SNEAKERS GR.36- GR.40
- NIKE AIR HUARACHE RUN SD WOMEN'S RUNNING SHOE AA0524-001
- Minnetonka VENICE PERF Moccasins Fringe Brown Suede Ankle Boots Women's Size 8
- Classic Chinese Ethnic Womens Embroidery Block Heel Wedding Bridal Ankle Boots
- NEW Nike Zoom Kobe Venomenon 5 Mens 749884-585 Purple Basketball Shoes Size 13
- adidas Performance Women's Pureboost X Running Shoe - Choose SZ/Color
- Women's Stilettos Patent Leather Knee High Boots High Heel Shoes Pointed Toe sz
- ADORE-1017SRS 7" CLEAR UPPER 4-LAYERS RHINESTONE FRINGE POLE DANCE PLATFORM BOOT
- Lola Miller Grace 2" Wedge Leather Ankle Boots With Side Zipper Hand Made In...
- Merrell Primo Chill Slide Shearling Lined Suede Clogs Mules Women's US 6.5
- Spring Step Wisteria Slip On Jane Shoe Leather Womens Mary Janes Shoes
- Man's/Woman's Naturalizer Women's Emily Pump Great variety Reliable performance leading the fashion
- NEW COLE HAAN Barton GRAND OS Brown LEATHER Slip ON Women OXFORD 10
- BURBERRY ROWLES OXBLOOD SLIP ON SHOES us $375
- Skechers Women's Breathe-Easy - My Muse Casual Shoe
- Under Armour Women's UA Speedform Gemini 2.1 Glacier Gray/Pink Chroma/St...
- NIKE AIR MAX 90 PREM BLACK SAIL GUM MED BROWN 443817-010 WMN SZ 6
- ABEO Smart System 3530 Women's Black Slip On Flats Comfort Shoes Size 9.5
- J. Renee Women's Senonches Mule Black Multi Satin Fabric Loafers
- MBT Men's Hodari GTX Gray Pigment US 8-8.5 (eu 42) NOB NWD
- Steve Madden Davis Men's Graphic Slip On Casual Loafer Shoes Black Size 11
- fashion mens pull on breathable moccasins gommino summer loafer shoes hairstyle
- Men's HyTest By Wolverine 6 inch Steel toe Work Shoe Brown Size 7.5 D Lu Shl
- Lacoste Men's Jouer Slip-On 316 1 Canvas Sneaker Black RRP $129.95
- NINE WEST FAX FUR Knee High Side Zipper Boots Taupe/Bone SIZE 6M
- New Women's Crocs Cobbler Suede Ankle Winter Boot, Black, Chestnut, Size 4
- NIB Emu Australia Women's Featherwood Hi Merino Wool Boots in Chestnut. Size 5M
- Men/Women BEARPAW Women's Phylly wholesale Used in durability Preferential price
- SANCHO SPAIN western cowboy never worn womens boots sz 39
- New Bally Aldo 7 D black (1001)
- Ecco Men's Adar Slip On Moon Rock Leather Shoes US 8-8.5 New in Box
- NAUTILUS Mens Size 8 Medium COMPOSITE Toe Safety Shoes BROWN New 1700
- Man/Woman Ecco Men Sandals 44 Practical and economical International choice Lightweight shoes
[Editor’s Note: In Part I of this series, Dr. Nick Marsella addressed the duty we have to examine our assumptions about emergent warfighting technologies / capabilities and their associated implications to identify potential second / third order and “evil” effects. Men/Women LADIES SHOES/FOOTWEAR - Arcopedico L19 olive Queensland Preferred material Elegant and robust menuNIB Cole Haan Women's Grand Pro Velvet Fashion Sneakers in Black W08155 In today’s post, he prescribes five actions we can embrace both individually and as organizations to avoid confirmation bias and falling into cognitive thinking traps when confronting the ramifications of emergent technologies — Enjoy!]
In part I of my blog post, I advised those advocating for the development and/or fielding of technology to be mindful of the second/third order and possible “evil” effects. I defined “evil” as an unexpected and profound negative implication(s) of the adoption/adaption of a technology and related policy. I also recommended heeding the admonition of Tim Cook, Apple’s CEO, to take responsibility for our technological creations and have the courage to think things through their potential implications – both for the good and the bad.
But even if we as individuals are willing to challenge our assumptions and think broadly and imaginatively, we can still come up short. Why? The answer is due in part to the challenges of prediction and the fact we are human with both great cognitive abilities, but also weaknesses.
First, common sense and many theorists remind us that the future is unknowable.NEW DANSKO WOMEN'S XP PROFESSIONAL SLIP-ON CLOG BLACK BOX 37 7 MEDIUM $140Vince Noella Black Womens Shoes Size 9 M Flats MSRP $325The futurist Arthur C. Clark noted in 1962, “It is impossible to predict the future, and all attempts to do in any detail appear ludicrous within a very few years.” Within this fixed condition of unknowing, the U.S. Departments of Defense and the Army must make choices to determine:
– what capabilities we desire and its related technology;
– where to invest in research and development; and
As Michael E. Raynor pointed out in his book, MUNRO Womens 'Olympia' Black Leather Slip On Sneakers Sz 6.5 M, making choices and developing strategies, which include adopting new technology, where the future is unknowable and “deeply unpredictable” either produces monumental successes or monumental failures.Handmade Footwear Footskins Saddle Tan Leather Flower Petal Moccasins Shoes Sz 6Demonia Creeper-206 Black Vegan Suede Heart Platform Shoes - Gothic,Goth,Punk,Bl For a company this can spell financial ruin, while for the Army, it can spell disaster and the loss of Soldiers’ lives and national treasure. Yet, we must also choose a “way ahead” – often by considering “boundaries” – in a sense the left and right limits – of potential implications.
Second, our ability to predict when technology will become available is often in error nor can we accurately determine its implications. For example, in a New York Times editorial on December 8, 1903, it noted: “A man carrying airplane will eventually be built, Womens Backless Loafer Mules Bowknot Crystal Rhinestone Slippers Flats Shoes NewKenneth Cole Gentle Souls Black Lowe Suede Sneaker - Women Size: 8.5but only if mathematicians and engineers work steadily for the next ten million years.”5 The Wright Brothers first flight took place the following week, but it took decades for commercial and military aviation to evolve.
Each of the services has faced force modernization challenges due to the adoption of technologies that weren’t mature enough; whose capabilities were over-promised; or did not support operations in the envisioned Operational Environment. For the U.S. Army, Future Combat Systems (FCS) was the most obvious and recent example of this challenge – costing billions of dollars and, just as importantly, lost time and confidence.Women's Alegria Glee Shoes Sz 42 11.5 12 Ethers Slip On Loafers NewCOLE HAAN Womens Pink Suede Ballet Flats With Studs Sz 5 B
Third, in terms of future technology, predictions vary widely. For example, predictions by MIT’s Rodney Brooks and futurist/inventor Ray Kurzweil vary widely to the question – “What year do you think human-level Artificial Intelligence [AI, i.e., a true thinking machine] might be achieved with a 50% probability?” Kurzweil predicts AI (as defined) will be available in 2029, while Brooks is a bit more conservative – the year 2200 – a difference of over 170 years.SPERRY TOP SIDER WOMENS BOAT SHOES FIREFISH PYTHON LINEN SIZE 9.5TORY BURCH NAVY BLUE W WHITE & YELLOW DAISY FLOWERS LEATHER BALLET FLATS 7.5 M
While one can understand the difficulty of predicting when “general AI” will be available, other technologies offer similar difficulties. The vision of the “self-driving” autonomous vehicle was first written about and experimented with in the 1920s, yet technological limitations, legal concerns, customer fears, and other barriers make implementing this capability challenging.
Lastly, as Rodney Brooks has highlighted, LADIES SHOES/FOOTWEAR -Ziera Gala black sandal size 41/10 maintains:
“we tend to overestimate the effect of a technology in the short run and underestimate the effect in the long run.”Balenciaga Olive Green Suede Leather Studded Ballet Flats SZ 35
SECOND, THIRD ORDER AND EVIL EFFECTS
– intentionally focus on the positive effects of adopting a technology;
– ignore the experts and those who identify the potential downside of technology; and
– fail to think thorough the short, long, and potentially dangerous effects or dependencies – imaginatively.
We do this because we are human, and more often because we fall into the confirmation bias or other cognitive thinking traps that might affect our program or pet technology. As noted by RAND in Truth Decay:ZARA NUDE/BEIGE BALLERINA FLATS WITH CRYSTALS SHOES SIZE UK7/EUR40/US9Ladies Clarks Loafer Style Flats Tilmont Zoe
“Cognitive biases and the ways in which human beings process information and make decisions cause people to look for information, opinion, and analyses that confirm preexisting beliefs, to weigh experience more heavily than data and facts, and then to rely on mental shortcuts and the beliefs of those in the same social networks when forming opinions and making decisions.”9
Yet, the warning signs or signals for many unanticipated effects can be found simply by conducting a literature review of government, think tank, academic, and popular reports (to perhaps include science fiction). This may deter some, given the sheer volume of literature is often overwhelming, but contained within these reports are many of the challenges associated with future technology, such as: the potential for deep fakes, loss of privacy, hacking,Women's Twisted X Purple Basket Weave Driving Mocs D Toe - WDM0025$310 SESTO MEUCCI WOMENS ATHLETIC BLACK PATENT LEATHER SLIP ON LOAFER SNEAKERS 8 accidents, deception, and loss of industries/jobs.
At the national level, both the current and previous administrations published reports on AI, as has the Department of Defense – some more balanced in addressing of issues of fairness, safety, governance, and ethics.10
For example, using photo recognition to help law enforcement and others seems like a great idea, yet its use is increasingly being questioned. This past May, San Francisco became the first city to ban its use, and others may follow suit.11 While some question this decision to ban vice impose a moratorium until the technology produces less errors, the question remains – did the developers and policy makers consider if there would be push back to its introduction given its current performance?LUIZA BARCELOS WOMEN'S AT141 BALLET FLATS VERNIZ FIRENZE MARINHO US SZ 10 MEDIUMMarc Jacobs Cleo Studded Leather Ballerina Flats, Women's - Size 7, Dark Silver What sources did they consult?
Another challenge is language. You’ve seen the commercials – “there is much we can do with AI” – in farming, business, and even beer making. While “AI” is a clever tag line, it may invoke unnecessary fear and misunderstanding. For example, I believe for most people equate “robotics” and “AI” with the “Terminator” franchise, raising the fear of uncontrolled autonomous military force overwhelming humanity. Even worse – under the moniker of “AI,” we will buy into “snake-oil” propositions.
We are at least decades away from “general AI” where a “system exhibits apparently intelligence behavior at least as advanced as a person” across the “full range of cognitive tasks,” but we continue to flaunt the use of “AI” without elaboration.NIB Rockport Cobb Hill Jennifer CDL02ST Ballet Wedge Stone Brown Size 8Sam Edelman Rivers Women's Pink Magenta Pointed Toe Flats Sz 8M 8440
SOME ACTIONS TO TAKE
Embrace a learning organization. Popularized by Peter Senge’s The Fifth Discipline: The Art and Practice of the Learning Organization (1990), a learning organization is a place “where people continually expand their capacity to create the results they truly desire, where new and expansive patterns of thinking are nurtured, where collective aspiration is set free, and where people are continually learning how to learn together.”GIUSEPPI ZANOTTI Camo Ballet Flat W crystal Skull sz 40.5 = US 10-10.5 While some question whether we can truly make a learning organization, Senge’s thinking may help solve our problem of identifying 2nd/3rd order and evil effects.
First, we must embrace new and expansive patterns of thinking. Force developers use the acronym – “DOTMPLF-P” as shorthand for Doctrine, Organization, Training, Materiel, Personnel, Leadership, Facilities, and Policy implications – yet other factors might be as important.
For example, trust in automated or robotics systems must be instilled and measured. In one poll, 73% of respondents noted they would be afraid of riding in a fully autonomous vehicle – up 10% points from the previous year.14 What if we develop a military autonomous vehicle or a leader-follower system and one or more of our host nation allies prohibits its use? What happens if an accident occurs and the host population protests, NEW Stella Mccartney ITRAN BALLERINA by Adidas Shoes Flats US 6.5Stuart Weitzman $398 Black Leather Stitched Clogs Mules Shoes Women’s Size 10 Marguing that the Americans don’t care for their safety?
Technologists and concept developers must move from being stove-piped in labs and single-focused to consider the broader view of technological implications across functions.
Embrace Humility. Given that we cannot predict the future and its potential consequences, developers must seek out diversified opinions, and more importantly, recognize divergent opinions.
Embrace the Data. In New York City during World War II, a small organization of some of the most brilliant minds in America worked in the office of the “Applied Mathematics Panel.” In Europe, the 8th U.S. Air Force suffered from devastating bomber losses. Ladies Gabor Extra Wide (H) Fit Trouser Shoe - 56.056New Womens Enzo Angiolini Flats Leather 7N 7 N Narrow Dark Blue Shoes LoaferLeaders wondered where best to reinforce the bombers with additional armor without significantly increasing their weight to improve survivability. Reports indicated returning bombers suffered gunfire hits over the wings and fuselage, but not in the tail or cockpits, so to the casual observer it made sense to reinforce the wings and fuselage where the damage was clearly visible.
Abraham Wald, a mathematician, worked on the problem. He noted that reinforcing the spots where damage was evident in returning aircraft wasn’t necessarily the best course of action, given that hits to the cockpit and tail were probably causing aircraft (and aircrew) losses during the mission. In a series of memorandums, he developed a “method of estimating plane vulnerability based on damage of survivors.” As Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s Sherlock Holmes noted more than 100 years ago, “It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”New Aquatalia Women Kelsey Waterproof silver Suede Loafer Size 6.5 original $350NEW BCBG MAX AZRIA Black LASER CUT LEATHER COLE FLOWER BALLET FLATS 8.5 8-1/2
Additionally, we need to reinforce our practice of performing quality literature reviews to aid in our identification of these issues.
Employ Skepticism and a Devil’s Advocate Approach. In 1587, the Roman Catholic Church created the position of Promoter of the Faith – commonly referred to as the Devil’s Advocate. To insure a candidate for sainthood met the qualification of being canonized, the role of the Devil’s Advocate was to be the skeptic (loyal to the institution), looking for reasons why not to canonize the individual. Similarly, Leaders must embrace the concept of employing a devil’s advocate approach to identifying 2nd/3rd order and evil effects of technology – if not designating a devil’s advocate with the right expertise to identify assumptions, risks, and effects. But creating any devil’s advocate or “risk identification” positions is only useful if their input is seriously considered.
Embrace the Suck. Lastly, if we are serious in identifying the 2nd/3rd order and evil effects, Mojari Ethnic Women Shoes Leather Ballerinas Indian Handmade Casual Flat 3 PairsJon Josef Women´s Bee Happy Brown Velvet Loafer Flatsto include identifying new dependencies, ethical issues, or other issues which challenge the adaption or development of a new technology or policy – then we must be honest, resilient, and tough. There will be setbacks, delays, and frustration.
Technology holds the power to improve and change our personal and professional lives. For the military, technology changes the ways wars are fought (i.e., the character of war), but it may also change the nature of war by potentially reducing the “human dimension” in war. If robotics, AI, and other technological developments eliminate “danger, physical exertion, intelligence and friction,”17 is war easier to wage? Will technology increase its potential frequency? Will technology create a further separation between the military and the population by decreasing the number of personnel needed? These may be some of the 2nd/3rd order and “evil” effects we need to consider.
If you enjoyed this post, please see Dr. Marsella’s previous post “Second/Third Order, and Evil Effects” – The Dark Side of Technology ($320 JILL STUART EMILY Black Mascara Velvet Designer EVENING Pumps 7)
… as well as the following posts:Gentle Souls Women's Portia Feather Pom Ballet Flat, Black, Size 8.5Man's/Woman's Ash Shoes 610171 White 36 Modern and elegant fashion The latest technology Exquisite workmanship
– STUART WEITZMAN MOCPERF ALE WASHED Gold Leather Designer Flats Loafers 9.5, by Dr. Nir Buras