- SAS Womans Live To Walk Tripad Comfort Shoes Size 7 Medium
- Men's/Women's ASICS Gel Quantum 360 Noir Durable service fashionable Famous store
- Edward Green Walpole Monk Strap Dress Shoes Blk Box Yes (41699
- J.Crew 48779 Italy Moc Casual Walking Mules Slides Loafers Men's US 8.5
- Propet Walking Shoe USA Women 8.5 (5E) XX M0095 Blacl NIB Never Worn
- Le Coq Sportif Saint Ferdinand 2 CVS Denim 1810749 Mens Shoes White Sneakers
- WESTIES Brown Leather Zip Heeled Comfort Ankle Boots Size 8 M Style W-Kendra
- Skintone Flat Sexy Knee Boot Size 6
- XOXO Women's Kasper Ankle Bootie Black 10M
- NWT Ariat Women's Size 6.5 B Green Brown Leather Fatbaby Cowboy Boots
- manufacturer Seychelles Womens Army Boot- Pick SZ/Color.
- Kenneth Cole REACTION Men's Min Oxford - Choose SZ/Color
- DS NIKE 2011 SAMPLE AIR MAX 90 HAZELNUT 9 INFRARED HYPERFUSE OG 1 180 95 ATMOS
- Emporio Armani Shoes Sneaker % Leather Man Blue X4X180XL183-A138
- Crocs Crocband-X Flip Thong - Color Varsity Blue / White
- Clarks Womens Azella Revere Flat 7 W US- Choose SZ/Color.
- ETNIES MENS BARGE LS SKATE SHOE /039
- Nike Air Max Sequent 3 Mens Size 9 Black Trainer Running Athletics Shoes F4-837
- Punk high top Men's antiskid Stylish ankle rain boots waterproof Chelsea boots
- Men's Boots Cowboy Western Black Genuine Leather Side Zipper Ankle Shoes Sizes
- Lugz Men's Grotto Ballistic Fashion Boot, Black, Size 13.0 E5T2
- Levi's Men's Calvin Canvas Driving Style Loafer - Choose SZ/color
- Us Sz New 2 Color Sz 5-12 Genuine Leather Zip Ankle Boots Prom Dress Mens Shoes
- Mens Campri Casual Waterproof Boots CPI Etna
- SPERRY TOP-SIDER GOLD CUP Brown Textured Leather Penny Loafers Size USA 10M
- Men's/Women's Supreme®/Vans® Crocodile Corduroy Lampin SS18 Reliable quality New products in 2018 Known for its excellent quality
- Christian Louboutin Shocking Pink Rivierina Neon Gold 100mm Heels 38.5 #652 Pumps Size US 8.5 Regular (M, B)
- Versace Black and Gold Sculpted Sandal Platforms Size US 10 Regular (M, B)
- Nike Lunarfly 3 Sneakers Size US 8 Regular (M, B)
- Nike Big Woven High LE '09 Sneaker Multi Navy Neon Men 11 Athletic Hip EUC White
- Nike 2013 Air Max Wright Fitness Shoes Grey Royal Navy Blue Sz 13 / 317551-046
- 08 Adidas Originals Superstar Snakeskin Shoes Wmns 11 (Mens 9.5) S75127
- Adidas Stella McCartney White Women's Size 7 Brand New Without Box
- Nike Air Max 1 QS Floral Edition Women's Shoes Size 7.5 Style 633737 100
- PUMA Women's Basket Platform LUX Wn Sneaker - Choose SZ/Color
- Womens Pull On Casual Snow Ankle Boots Thick Fur Lined Winter Shiny Scale Warm V
- NIKE AIR JORDAN PHASE 23 2 GYM RED BLACK CEMENT GREY WHITE 602671-600 Size 12
- Nike Dualtone Racer Mens 918227-400 Midnight Navy Mesh Running Shoes Size 8.5
- Men's/Women's SEDUCE-2000 economic Bright colors Lightweight shoes
- Women's Real Leather Western Retro Biker Combat Buckle Round Toe Ankle Boots New
- Ariat Women's Music Row Work Boot - Choose SZ/Color
- Dansko "Ainsley" Size 42 leather clog with adjustable hook and loop closure
- Artemis Design Co for Anthropologie silk loafers Size 37 Orig. Price $268
- Ivanka Trump Lissa Cut Out Ballet Flat 6 M Black Leather New w/Box
- NEW TORY BURCH Claire Ballerina Black Leather/Gold Logo Ballet Flat Size 7 38395
- J.Crew New In Box Janey Patent Flats Color:Dusty Jade Retail:$178+Tax
- Asics Gel Quantum 180 Gray/Pink Running Shoes Women's US 7 (P2,18)
- HOKA Clifton 2 Purple / Fuchsia Running Shoes - Women's
- 1801 adidas Originals Everyn Women's Sneakers Sports Shoes CQ2003
- Women's Klogs Boca Mule Clogs, Rural Green,
- Blackstone Women's CW96 Rust Full Grain Leather High Tops
- Rockport Bennett Lane 3 Boat Shoe Mens M- Choose SZ/Color.
- Skechers Shoes Men's Leather Dress Business Career Casual Oxfords Black 10M
- Man/Woman Boat Shoe UNIONBAY Freeland Black for you to choose Primary quality Fine wild
- Sperry Cutter S/O Empire Slip On - Men's Size 10M, Black/Grey
- Reebok Streetscape LX Lux Black White Men Casual Shoes Sneakers BD1301
- Women's Slouch BOOTS Size 10 US STEVE MADDEN GIRL 4.5" High Heel BROWN Synthetic
- IKRUSH Womens Kim Peep Toe Knee High Boots
- Vintage Sears Brown Harness Motorcycle Engineer Riding Boots woman 6 USA!!!
- (NEVER WORN) Tenley Vacchetta High Heel Boots Chocolate Brown Leather Sz8 J Crew
- Horse Boots Womens | Animal Print Black White Ladies Hand-crafted Shoes
- Mens Oxfords Slip On Printing Floral Real Leather Loafers Driving Moccasin Shoes
- Mens Maison Martin Margiela 'Replica' Trainer Shoes Size 11 44 Olive Leather
- Summer Men's Breathable Beach Sandals Outdoor Slippers Hollow-out Flat Shoes
- Teva 1004010-BLK Original M Universal Urban Sandals Medium (D, M) Men
- New Spring Womens Loafers Brogue Zip Real Leather Vogue Casual Pumps Flats Shoes
[Editor’s Note: In Part I of this series, Dr. Nick Marsella addressed the duty we have to examine our assumptions about emergent warfighting technologies / capabilities and their associated implications to identify potential second / third order and “evil” effects. Elegant Womens Loafer Slip On Square Toe Collegiate Bowknot Causal Work Shoes SzNEW CUSHE CANVAS FLATS SHOES WOMENS 5 RED CANVAS SLIP ONS LOAFERS FREE SHIP In today’s post, he prescribes five actions we can embrace both individually and as organizations to avoid confirmation bias and falling into cognitive thinking traps when confronting the ramifications of emergent technologies — Enjoy!]
In part I of my blog post, I advised those advocating for the development and/or fielding of technology to be mindful of the second/third order and possible “evil” effects. I defined “evil” as an unexpected and profound negative implication(s) of the adoption/adaption of a technology and related policy. I also recommended heeding the admonition of Tim Cook, Apple’s CEO, to take responsibility for our technological creations and have the courage to think things through their potential implications – both for the good and the bad.
But even if we as individuals are willing to challenge our assumptions and think broadly and imaginatively, we can still come up short. Why? The answer is due in part to the challenges of prediction and the fact we are human with both great cognitive abilities, but also weaknesses.
First, common sense and many theorists remind us that the future is unknowable.Salvatore Ferragamo Boutique ITALY Black Leather Square Toe Flats Women's Sz 8.5Sanuk DREE ME CRUISER Womens Sidewalk Surfer Slip-On Shoes Black Slides SizesThe futurist Arthur C. Clark noted in 1962, “It is impossible to predict the future, and all attempts to do in any detail appear ludicrous within a very few years.” Within this fixed condition of unknowing, the U.S. Departments of Defense and the Army must make choices to determine:
– what capabilities we desire and its related technology;
– where to invest in research and development; and
As Michael E. Raynor pointed out in his book, Chic Womens Pointy Toe Slip On Low Cuban Heel Rhinestone New Casual Loafers Shoe, making choices and developing strategies, which include adopting new technology, where the future is unknowable and “deeply unpredictable” either produces monumental successes or monumental failures.FRYE Women's Riley Perf Slide Sneaker - Choose SZ/ColorWomens Bohemian Flats Rhinestones T Strap Sandals Girl Flip Flop Party Shoes Hot For a company this can spell financial ruin, while for the Army, it can spell disaster and the loss of Soldiers’ lives and national treasure. Yet, we must also choose a “way ahead” – often by considering “boundaries” – in a sense the left and right limits – of potential implications.
Second, our ability to predict when technology will become available is often in error nor can we accurately determine its implications. For example, in a New York Times editorial on December 8, 1903, it noted: “A man carrying airplane will eventually be built, NEW CROCS WALU MULE BROWN SLIP ON LOAFER SHOES WOMENS 7 FREE SHIPWomens Flat Heels Suede Pointy Toe Pull On Bowknot Shoes Ladies Slip On Loafterbut only if mathematicians and engineers work steadily for the next ten million years.”5 The Wright Brothers first flight took place the following week, but it took decades for commercial and military aviation to evolve.
Each of the services has faced force modernization challenges due to the adoption of technologies that weren’t mature enough; whose capabilities were over-promised; or did not support operations in the envisioned Operational Environment. For the U.S. Army, Future Combat Systems (FCS) was the most obvious and recent example of this challenge – costing billions of dollars and, just as importantly, lost time and confidence.SHOES KEDS Champion CVO Seasonal Light Pink US Girls 5 Womens 7 NEWNEW Free People Evie Mary Jane Flats Green Velvet Size 36-39
Third, in terms of future technology, predictions vary widely. For example, predictions by MIT’s Rodney Brooks and futurist/inventor Ray Kurzweil vary widely to the question – “What year do you think human-level Artificial Intelligence [AI, i.e., a true thinking machine] might be achieved with a 50% probability?” Kurzweil predicts AI (as defined) will be available in 2029, while Brooks is a bit more conservative – the year 2200 – a difference of over 170 years.Chic Womens Japanese student Uniform Flat Heels Loafer Cosplay shoes Pump NewMen's/Women's Seychelles Womens Quake Closed Toe Oxfords bargain Has a long reputation Known for its beautiful quality
While one can understand the difficulty of predicting when “general AI” will be available, other technologies offer similar difficulties. The vision of the “self-driving” autonomous vehicle was first written about and experimented with in the 1920s, yet technological limitations, legal concerns, customer fears, and other barriers make implementing this capability challenging.
Lastly, as Rodney Brooks has highlighted, Round Toe Sliver Slide Womens Sequins Pumps Boat Shoes Slip On Tassels Loafers maintains:
“we tend to overestimate the effect of a technology in the short run and underestimate the effect in the long run.”Donald J. Pliner Ellen Pink/Cream Floral Leather Ballet Flat Shoe Women's 9 N
SECOND, THIRD ORDER AND EVIL EFFECTS
– intentionally focus on the positive effects of adopting a technology;
– ignore the experts and those who identify the potential downside of technology; and
– fail to think thorough the short, long, and potentially dangerous effects or dependencies – imaginatively.
We do this because we are human, and more often because we fall into the confirmation bias or other cognitive thinking traps that might affect our program or pet technology. As noted by RAND in Truth Decay:Dr Scholls Womens SIZE 8 Shoes Cream Memory Foam Cool Fit Comfort Ballet FlatsC. Wonder Suede Hello Sunshine Loafers - Chloe Sky Blue Sun Women's Shoes 6 New
“Cognitive biases and the ways in which human beings process information and make decisions cause people to look for information, opinion, and analyses that confirm preexisting beliefs, to weigh experience more heavily than data and facts, and then to rely on mental shortcuts and the beliefs of those in the same social networks when forming opinions and making decisions.”9
Yet, the warning signs or signals for many unanticipated effects can be found simply by conducting a literature review of government, think tank, academic, and popular reports (to perhaps include science fiction). This may deter some, given the sheer volume of literature is often overwhelming, but contained within these reports are many of the challenges associated with future technology, such as: the potential for deep fakes, loss of privacy, hacking,Crocs Women's Freesail Summer Fun Clog Mule, PINK Flamingo 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11BOBS SKECHERS 33752 NATURAL SLIP ON CASUAL LOAFERS FLATS SHOES WOMENS SZ 7 accidents, deception, and loss of industries/jobs.
At the national level, both the current and previous administrations published reports on AI, as has the Department of Defense – some more balanced in addressing of issues of fairness, safety, governance, and ethics.10
For example, using photo recognition to help law enforcement and others seems like a great idea, yet its use is increasingly being questioned. This past May, San Francisco became the first city to ban its use, and others may follow suit.11 While some question this decision to ban vice impose a moratorium until the technology produces less errors, the question remains – did the developers and policy makers consider if there would be push back to its introduction given its current performance?US 6 To US 10 WOMEN FLAT PHULKARI PUNJABI JUTTI KHUSSA SHOES ETHNIC MOJARI DD414Hot Womens Denim Ankle Boots Side Zipper Flats Casual Jeans Boots Shoes Sneakers What sources did they consult?
Another challenge is language. You’ve seen the commercials – “there is much we can do with AI” – in farming, business, and even beer making. While “AI” is a clever tag line, it may invoke unnecessary fear and misunderstanding. For example, I believe for most people equate “robotics” and “AI” with the “Terminator” franchise, raising the fear of uncontrolled autonomous military force overwhelming humanity. Even worse – under the moniker of “AI,” we will buy into “snake-oil” propositions.
We are at least decades away from “general AI” where a “system exhibits apparently intelligence behavior at least as advanced as a person” across the “full range of cognitive tasks,” but we continue to flaunt the use of “AI” without elaboration.US 6 - US 10 WOMEN FLAT BALLERINA MOJARI JUTTI KHUSSA SHOES JAIPURI SHOES DD417SCB Collection by SUECOMMA BONNIE Racoon Fur Sandals Size 38 RRP€429
SOME ACTIONS TO TAKE
Embrace a learning organization. Popularized by Peter Senge’s The Fifth Discipline: The Art and Practice of the Learning Organization (1990), a learning organization is a place “where people continually expand their capacity to create the results they truly desire, where new and expansive patterns of thinking are nurtured, where collective aspiration is set free, and where people are continually learning how to learn together.”French Sole FS/NY Gray Leather Beaded Low Wedge Flats Women's SZ 7 Made In Italy While some question whether we can truly make a learning organization, Senge’s thinking may help solve our problem of identifying 2nd/3rd order and evil effects.
First, we must embrace new and expansive patterns of thinking. Force developers use the acronym – “DOTMPLF-P” as shorthand for Doctrine, Organization, Training, Materiel, Personnel, Leadership, Facilities, and Policy implications – yet other factors might be as important.
For example, trust in automated or robotics systems must be instilled and measured. In one poll, 73% of respondents noted they would be afraid of riding in a fully autonomous vehicle – up 10% points from the previous year.14 What if we develop a military autonomous vehicle or a leader-follower system and one or more of our host nation allies prohibits its use? What happens if an accident occurs and the host population protests, BOBS from Skechers 34469 Womens Highlights-Sun Flower Flat- Choose SZ/Color.Cole Haan Grand OS Cary Driving Moc Loafer,Leather Upper,Soft Gold Metallic, Newarguing that the Americans don’t care for their safety?
Technologists and concept developers must move from being stove-piped in labs and single-focused to consider the broader view of technological implications across functions.
Embrace Humility. Given that we cannot predict the future and its potential consequences, developers must seek out diversified opinions, and more importantly, recognize divergent opinions.
Embrace the Data. In New York City during World War II, a small organization of some of the most brilliant minds in America worked in the office of the “Applied Mathematics Panel.” In Europe, the 8th U.S. Air Force suffered from devastating bomber losses. Dr Martens Size 10 Air Wair Samira Oxford Shoes Womens Wyoming Leather BrownV ITALIA Womens Distressed Comfy Green Leather Mary Jane Flats Shoes Size 9 M 40Leaders wondered where best to reinforce the bombers with additional armor without significantly increasing their weight to improve survivability. Reports indicated returning bombers suffered gunfire hits over the wings and fuselage, but not in the tail or cockpits, so to the casual observer it made sense to reinforce the wings and fuselage where the damage was clearly visible.
Abraham Wald, a mathematician, worked on the problem. He noted that reinforcing the spots where damage was evident in returning aircraft wasn’t necessarily the best course of action, given that hits to the cockpit and tail were probably causing aircraft (and aircrew) losses during the mission. In a series of memorandums, he developed a “method of estimating plane vulnerability based on damage of survivors.” As Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s Sherlock Holmes noted more than 100 years ago, “It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”Barefoot Freedom by Drew GENEVA Denim Leather/Nubuck Therapeutic Shoe 8.5 NarrowNIB $200 Munro American Wellesley Water Resistant Suede Sneaker (US 8 )
Additionally, we need to reinforce our practice of performing quality literature reviews to aid in our identification of these issues.
Employ Skepticism and a Devil’s Advocate Approach. In 1587, the Roman Catholic Church created the position of Promoter of the Faith – commonly referred to as the Devil’s Advocate. To insure a candidate for sainthood met the qualification of being canonized, the role of the Devil’s Advocate was to be the skeptic (loyal to the institution), looking for reasons why not to canonize the individual. Similarly, Leaders must embrace the concept of employing a devil’s advocate approach to identifying 2nd/3rd order and evil effects of technology – if not designating a devil’s advocate with the right expertise to identify assumptions, risks, and effects. But creating any devil’s advocate or “risk identification” positions is only useful if their input is seriously considered.
Embrace the Suck. Lastly, if we are serious in identifying the 2nd/3rd order and evil effects, Ecco Women's US 8.5 Mules Brown Leather Bronze BuckleKeen Red Leather Moc Toe Driving Bumper Toe Walking Trail Boat Shoes Women's 9.5to include identifying new dependencies, ethical issues, or other issues which challenge the adaption or development of a new technology or policy – then we must be honest, resilient, and tough. There will be setbacks, delays, and frustration.
Technology holds the power to improve and change our personal and professional lives. For the military, technology changes the ways wars are fought (i.e., the character of war), but it may also change the nature of war by potentially reducing the “human dimension” in war. If robotics, AI, and other technological developments eliminate “danger, physical exertion, intelligence and friction,”17 is war easier to wage? Will technology increase its potential frequency? Will technology create a further separation between the military and the population by decreasing the number of personnel needed? These may be some of the 2nd/3rd order and “evil” effects we need to consider.
If you enjoyed this post, please see Dr. Marsella’s previous post “Second/Third Order, and Evil Effects” – The Dark Side of Technology (Easy Spirit Women's Kandance2 Flat Navy Fabric 10 M US)
… as well as the following posts:Ollio Women's Shoe Ballet Multi Color Spangle Comfort Flat Red 8.5 M USLifeStride Women's Dempsey Slip-On Loafer Navy 5 M US
– Cole Haan Purple Leather Dress Casual Cap Toe Oxfords Shoes Women's Size 10 B, by Dr. Nir Buras