- Vince Camuto Women's Size 7.5 Suede Black Verona VC-BRASS Ankle Boot
- Clarks Dark Taupe Brown Leather Medora Grace Chelsea Ankle Boot 6.5 W NEW
- Man's/Woman's RODESKO Shoes 189770 Brown 38 excellent quality Won highly appreciated and widely trusted at home and abroad Clearance sale
- Etnies Men's Jameson 2 Eco Skateboarding Shoe - Choose SZ/Color
- Men/Women VISCATA Barcelona ConcaLeatherBlack EU38 Beautiful color Has a long reputation Acknowledgement feedback
- Sperry Top-Sider Gold A/O Catskill Mens Size: 13M Color: Cement Burgundy RETURN
- Flojos Men's Estiller Flip-Flop Camo/Tan 11 Medium US
- Cole Haan Clara Grand Pump, Marine Blue Suede - Size 11B
- Men's Nike Zoom Devosion White Fashion Athletic Sneakers High Top Size 7.5 D
- New Nike Men's Air MVP Pro Metal Baseball Cleats Black/Metallic Size 12
- Unlisted Kenneth Cole Cop-Per Coin Black Ankle Boot, Size 12 M US
- Atom " Taue Tabi " : Rubber Boots ( Ususoko )
- Mens genuine leather Mid Calf Ankle Boots Zipper Casual high top Shoes Mid Heels
- Gentleman/Lady Steel Shank Rubber Knee Boots Modern technology the most economical Good quality
- Dark Brown Exotic Leather COWBOY BOOTS mens 9 D Vtg western
- Allen Edmonds Leather Mens Chukka Leather Boots Brown Men's 11.5 D
- New Adidas Skate Men's Busenitz Shoe Rubber Synthetic Black
- Nike SB Zoom Stefan Janoski Premium Size 4 Black Leather Pecan DIGI 482972
- Gianvito Rossi Nude Pumps Size US 11 Regular (M, B)
- Tory Burch Brown Suede Boots/Booties Size US 5.5 Regular (M, B)
- Men's/Women's: nike air max 2015: Modern Techniques
- Valentino Blue Rockstud Men's Trainer Camo Sneakers Size US 10 Regular (M, B)
- Nike Air Monarch Iv Mens Style 415445
- NIKE ZOOM VICTORY 3 RIO TRACK & FIELD SPIKES SIZE 7.5 BLUE BLACK 835997-413
- ADIDAS NMD US BEIGE BROWN WHITE R1 GS WOMENS SIZE BA7476 BLACK
- Nike Air Huarache Premium iD Croc Women SZ 7 University Red October [777331-997]
- Converse Women's Chuck Taylor All Star Shoreline Sneaker Light Twine/Egret/Egret
- Man/Woman LifeStride Women's Lonnie Ankle Boot wholesale Online export store Beautiful and charming
- DS Nike Air Force 1 Hi RT TAN TISCI 13
- new men Nike Vandal Low 316432-112 White/White-Metallic Silver Size 15
- Men's/Women's Chinese Laundry Women's Zip It Boot feature Modern and stylish fashion Modern and elegant
- Columbia Women's Minx Mid II Print OH Sno Snow Boot
- NIB NEW Stuart Weitzman Allgood womens' black suede leather boots 6 6.5 7 $655+
- sz Womens Oxfords Loafers Shoes Patent Leather Pumps Round Toe Flower Embroidery
- AGL Attilio Giusti Leombruni Womens Black Leather Toe Cap Ballet Flats Size 40.5
- Ladies Remonte Mary Jane Flats Label R3427
- Rebecca Minkoff Women's Sable Canvas Fashion Sneaker, RM Floral, 6 M US
- MARSELL Coltellaccio Black Leather Slip On Loafers Slippers Flats 38/38.5/8.5
- adidas Originals Women's Campus Stitch and Turn W - Choose SZ/Color
- Adidas Resolution Womens V21923 White Silver Purple Running Shoes Wmns Size 9
- Asics Gel Fuji Endurance Plasmashield Womens Trail Shoes (B) (9099)
- Shoes for Crews Slip Water Resistant Saratoga Black Womens Size 6.5 4046
- Easy Street Women's Cozy Clog Grey Fabric/Grey Polyurethane Clogs
- FENDI white high top leather sneakers Men sport shoes 9 US 8 NEW
- New Men Driving Faux Leather Slip On Shoes Sequin Bling Dress Formal Gommino Hot
- Fashion Mens Retro Leather Causal Loafters Driving Floral Printed Moccasins Shoe
- Dr. Martens Air Wair Walker Sneakers, Canvas Upper, Black Shoes US 11
- Skechers for Work Men's Cottonwood Elks Slip Resistant Shoe Black 9.5 D(M) US
- 36NP0812163MT LTSPBTT50 Women's Shoes Size 7 M Burgundy Leather Boots H.S.Trask
- Walter Steiger Womens Knee High Boots Size 39.5 Black Nylon High Block Heel
- Kenneth Cole Reaction Womens Lady Sway Almond Toe Mid-Calf, Brown, Size 8.0
- Steve Madden Rocking Pionted Toe Over The Knee Dress Boots, Black
- New Free Lance Kely 4 Braided Mule
- Nike Air Max 1 SE "Satin Pack" Men's Shoes Red/Blue AO1021-600
- Men/Women Y-3 Qasa high triple black sell King of quantity Preferential price
- Quiksilver Java Sandals Striped Flip Flops Large Logo Mens Size 12 Blue & Black
- Columbia Sportswear Mens Red River Water Sports Sandal 12 Gray/Navy Blue NIB
- NEW SAS Men's Bravo Brown Tumbled Leather Tripad Comfort Sandals Size 12 Wide
- Man's/Woman's nike hyperdunk 2013 Elegant and sturdy set meal luxurious Current shape
- Puma Men's Trinomic Blaze of Glory Soft Trainers Shoes Blue White Size 12M
- Green Suede Florida Pumps Size EU 38 (Approx. US 8) Regular (M, B)
- New Steel Toe Cap Safety Leather Work Chef shoes Anti Slip Oil Water Resistant
- Men's Aventurero Cowboy Boots Longhorn Inlaid Pointed Toe 7.5D Made in Mexico
- Mens Short Duck Bean Snow Waterproof Hiking Walking Hiker Ankle Boots
- Vintage Nocona Texas Black Leather Western Cowboy Rodeo Boots 8D 41
- Wenger Swiss Gear Appalachian Brown hiking boots shoes mens 10 new with tag
- Men's Steve Madden Harken Cognac Leather Casual Ankle Chukka Boots Size 8 D
- Men's Frye James Crepe Wingtip Beige Oxford Brogue size 8
- Royal Elastics Prince Albert 1808 White Blue Red Yellow Men Slip On 01483-153
- Men/Women: Nike Air Max 97: High Quality
- Stuart Weitzman Baby Leopard Boots/Booties Size US 9 Regular (M, B)
- Manolo Blahnik Black Oterala Satin Ankle Slingback Boots/Booties Size EU 38 (Approx. US 8) Regular (M, B)
- Nike SB Zoom tre Easter Egg Men’s Size Six Very Rare! EUC
- Nike ID Dunk Low Mens US 6.5 Shoes Sneakers “Flamengo Park” White / Blue / Green
- Adidas Womens sneakers ANTELOPE OKI-IN US 7.5 548042 Limited Edition 1 of 200
- Womens Nike Classic Cortez Prem Size 6.5 Shoes Maria Sharapova Beige AR5696 202
- New Splendid Womens Moss Ankle Boots Size 6.5
- Womens Slouch Hot Zip Platform Sexy New High Heel Stiletto Knee High Boot Shoes
- Nike ERIC KOSTON 2 MAX Light Crimson Photo Blue 631047-604 (358) Men's Shoes
- adidas SUPERSTAR MT W Women's size 6 BRAND NEW FREE SHIPPING! !
- Man/Woman Jump J75 by Women's Strong Boot wholesale delicate At an affordable price
- New Ralph Lauren Maryann Wide Calf Ridding Boots SIZE 8.5
- Prada Metallic Gold Leather Knee High Boots SZ 39.5
- P By Propet Ortholite Coral Leather Slip On Flat Women's Shoes 7M
- Brasko Clogs Brown Leather Women 41 / 10 - 10.5
- Skechers Womens Reggae Fest-Escondido Fashion Sneaker- Select SZ/Color.
- Gentleman/Lady Loafer Born Tinetto Wrought Iron Distressed Attractive and durable Beautiful appearance Lightweight shoes
- Arche Biceky Santai Size 40 US 9M NEW
- Under Armour Women's Charged Lightning, Glacier Gray (004)/White, 7.5
- Charles by Charles David Women's Royalty Open-Toe Bootie Black Suede Zipper
- Women's Keen Targhee II Vent Mid color Fumo/Quiet Green size US 6
- NIKE Womens Nike Zoom Fly 897821-411 EQUATOR BLUE Size 8.5
- San Antonio Shoemakers SAS womens 9 mary jane mocassin wedge comfort shoes
- Oliver Sweeney Mens Shoes Red Crocodile effect Ravioli Loafer US 9
- Excellent Sperry Men's Med Brown Leather Kiltie Tassel Bow Boat Shoes Size 7.5M
- NEW SONOMA TAN SUEDE OXFORD WINGTIP SHOES MENS 12 STYLE: ARSON
- Vans Skate Shoes - Atwood - Dress Blues, Burgundy White, Pewter, Black
- Converse Chuck Taylor All Star Low Top
- Spot On F50330 Ladies Fleeced Lined Knee High Boots Available in 2 Colours
- Synthetic Leather Club Shoes Platform High Heels Zip Up Ankle Boots US Size b009
- Fashion Womens Hidden Heel Side Zip Mid Calf Boots Pull on Fur Lining Warm Shoes
- LAREDO Brown Leather Western Boots Women's Size 7 M
- New Coolway Anaeh Womens Brown Suede Fringe Ankle Boot Size 7 Winter
- New Mezlan Arona 10.5 M cognac/camel (1043)
- BLACK OSTRICH MARQUEZ DE LEON POWER DRIVING OXFORD SHOES 10 M
- SANTONI $1060 Fatto a mano Leather Shoes Plain Toe [8.5] Black
- Manolo Blahnik Light Grey Suede Chaos Sandals Size US 8.5 Regular (M, B)
- Fila S316S Logo Red White Rubber Men Women Sports Sandals Slides Slippers
- Geox Women's Lamulay 8 Ballet Flat, Light Grey, 39 M US
- New Balance MZ501 501 Black Brown Tan Men's Size 11.5
- NIKE KD TREY 5 V KEVIN DURANT 35 BLACK/WHITE - ZOOM AIR BBALL -- Size Mens 9
- Caterpillar 6'' Hauler WP CTCP Men's Black Work Boot 10M
- NEW Thorogood Black Waterproof Men's Work Boots Steel Toe USA Men's Sz 8.5 NWOB
- Dakota X Toe Quad Comfort STCP Men's Black Work Boots 13M
- MENS WEATHERPROOF SHELL GENUINE LEATHER UPPER WATER PROOF SNOW BOOTS Size 8 M
- Red Wing 6700 Men’s Aluminum Toe SD Slip-On Shoes Black Size 12 EE
- Men Winter Fur Lined Waterproof Insulated Hunting Mid Calf boots Snow Boots
- Fashionable Mens Mixed color Pointed toe Casual business Soft leather Flat Shoes
- Finn Comfort Mens 1000 Vaasa Nappa Black Leather Shoes
- NEW Adidas Men's $110 Superstar Triple Shoes Clear Granite Grey BB3696
[Editor’s Note: In Part I of this series, Dr. Nick Marsella addressed the duty we have to examine our assumptions about emergent warfighting technologies / capabilities and their associated implications to identify potential second / third order and “evil” effects. Talbots Women's Shoes Size 6.5 B Black Patent Leather Slip On LoafersClark's Artisan Unstructured Black Leather Shoes Size 8.5 Med Women Gently Used In today’s post, he prescribes five actions we can embrace both individually and as organizations to avoid confirmation bias and falling into cognitive thinking traps when confronting the ramifications of emergent technologies — Enjoy!]
In part I of my blog post, I advised those advocating for the development and/or fielding of technology to be mindful of the second/third order and possible “evil” effects. I defined “evil” as an unexpected and profound negative implication(s) of the adoption/adaption of a technology and related policy. I also recommended heeding the admonition of Tim Cook, Apple’s CEO, to take responsibility for our technological creations and have the courage to think things through their potential implications – both for the good and the bad.
But even if we as individuals are willing to challenge our assumptions and think broadly and imaginatively, we can still come up short. Why? The answer is due in part to the challenges of prediction and the fact we are human with both great cognitive abilities, but also weaknesses.
First, common sense and many theorists remind us that the future is unknowable.Munro American Caprice Bronze Leather Side Zip Loafer Shoes Womens 8.5 M $159Shoes for Crews Nurse Clogs Slip Water Resistant Verona Black Womens 8 9074 poThe futurist Arthur C. Clark noted in 1962, “It is impossible to predict the future, and all attempts to do in any detail appear ludicrous within a very few years.” Within this fixed condition of unknowing, the U.S. Departments of Defense and the Army must make choices to determine:
– what capabilities we desire and its related technology;
– where to invest in research and development; and
– what to purchase and field.Naturalizer Womens Selah Black Loafers Size 6 (23741)Naturalizer Womens Clarissa Black Flats Size 9 (C,D,W) (22553)
As Michael E. Raynor pointed out in his book, SKECHERS DRESS LOAFER FOR WOMEN SIZE 7 B IN MAROON VERY GOOD & SHIPS FREE, making choices and developing strategies, which include adopting new technology, where the future is unknowable and “deeply unpredictable” either produces monumental successes or monumental failures.NEW LL Bean Women’s Suede Comfort Shoes Slip-Ons Loafers Size 9.5MWomen's ECCO Beige Suede Leather Slip On Mules Loafers Shoes US 9 to 9.5 For a company this can spell financial ruin, while for the Army, it can spell disaster and the loss of Soldiers’ lives and national treasure. Yet, we must also choose a “way ahead” – often by considering “boundaries” – in a sense the left and right limits – of potential implications.
Second, our ability to predict when technology will become available is often in error nor can we accurately determine its implications. For example, in a New York Times editorial on December 8, 1903, it noted: “A man carrying airplane will eventually be built, Women's, Rockers by Cherokee, Achievers, White, Leather Athletic Shoes, Size 11MTREADSAFE OIL & SLIP RESISTANT WOMAN'S BLACK RUBBER OCCUPATIONAL CLOG SHOE SZ 6Wbut only if mathematicians and engineers work steadily for the next ten million years.”5 The Wright Brothers first flight took place the following week, but it took decades for commercial and military aviation to evolve.
Each of the services has faced force modernization challenges due to the adoption of technologies that weren’t mature enough; whose capabilities were over-promised; or did not support operations in the envisioned Operational Environment. For the U.S. Army, Future Combat Systems (FCS) was the most obvious and recent example of this challenge – costing billions of dollars and, just as importantly, lost time and confidence.Dansko WOMEN'S GRAY Wool Felt ClogsDr. Scholl's Memory Foam Maroon Quilted Textile Slip On Loafer Shoe Women's 6.5
Third, in terms of future technology, predictions vary widely. For example, predictions by MIT’s Rodney Brooks and futurist/inventor Ray Kurzweil vary widely to the question – “What year do you think human-level Artificial Intelligence [AI, i.e., a true thinking machine] might be achieved with a 50% probability?” Kurzweil predicts AI (as defined) will be available in 2029, while Brooks is a bit more conservative – the year 2200 – a difference of over 170 years.Dr Martens Woman Boot Shoes 9 Brown Leather Oxford Comfort Hiking Work VintageShoes for Crews Slip Water Resistant Pegasus Womens Size 10 9040 po
While one can understand the difficulty of predicting when “general AI” will be available, other technologies offer similar difficulties. The vision of the “self-driving” autonomous vehicle was first written about and experimented with in the 1920s, yet technological limitations, legal concerns, customer fears, and other barriers make implementing this capability challenging.
Lastly, as Rodney Brooks has highlighted, Cole haan studiogrand gray leather sneakers sz 6 maintains:
“we tend to overestimate the effect of a technology in the short run and underestimate the effect in the long run.”Man's/Woman's Baby Phat shoes size 9 Charming design new Excellent function
SECOND, THIRD ORDER AND EVIL EFFECTS
– intentionally focus on the positive effects of adopting a technology;
– ignore the experts and those who identify the potential downside of technology; and
– fail to think thorough the short, long, and potentially dangerous effects or dependencies – imaginatively.
We do this because we are human, and more often because we fall into the confirmation bias or other cognitive thinking traps that might affect our program or pet technology. As noted by RAND in Truth Decay:Dr Martens Brown Leather Buckle Monk Strap Oxford Women’s Size 9Mr/Ms Florsheim Steel Toe FS20 Womens 7.5 Easy to use Affordable General product
“Cognitive biases and the ways in which human beings process information and make decisions cause people to look for information, opinion, and analyses that confirm preexisting beliefs, to weigh experience more heavily than data and facts, and then to rely on mental shortcuts and the beliefs of those in the same social networks when forming opinions and making decisions.”9
Yet, the warning signs or signals for many unanticipated effects can be found simply by conducting a literature review of government, think tank, academic, and popular reports (to perhaps include science fiction). This may deter some, given the sheer volume of literature is often overwhelming, but contained within these reports are many of the challenges associated with future technology, such as: the potential for deep fakes, loss of privacy, hacking,Merrell Primo Patch Clogs Womens Size 9 Brown Dune Leather Slip On ShoesGentlemen/Ladies Naturalizer Womens Flats Size 8.5 (23939) Reasonable price New design Direct business accidents, deception, and loss of industries/jobs.
At the national level, both the current and previous administrations published reports on AI, as has the Department of Defense – some more balanced in addressing of issues of fairness, safety, governance, and ethics.10
For example, using photo recognition to help law enforcement and others seems like a great idea, yet its use is increasingly being questioned. This past May, San Francisco became the first city to ban its use, and others may follow suit.11 While some question this decision to ban vice impose a moratorium until the technology produces less errors, the question remains – did the developers and policy makers consider if there would be push back to its introduction given its current performance?Naturalizer Womens leather slip on shoes 9 MDansko Women Black Leather Clog US 7.5 What sources did they consult?
Another challenge is language. You’ve seen the commercials – “there is much we can do with AI” – in farming, business, and even beer making. While “AI” is a clever tag line, it may invoke unnecessary fear and misunderstanding. For example, I believe for most people equate “robotics” and “AI” with the “Terminator” franchise, raising the fear of uncontrolled autonomous military force overwhelming humanity. Even worse – under the moniker of “AI,” we will buy into “snake-oil” propositions.
We are at least decades away from “general AI” where a “system exhibits apparently intelligence behavior at least as advanced as a person” across the “full range of cognitive tasks,” but we continue to flaunt the use of “AI” without elaboration.Women's LL Bean 05330 Slide Mule Slip-on Loafer Shoes Brown Suede - 9.5 MNice Andiamo Navy Blue Slip-on Dress Comfort Shoes Size 8 Women Small Wedge
SOME ACTIONS TO TAKE
Embrace a learning organization. Popularized by Peter Senge’s The Fifth Discipline: The Art and Practice of the Learning Organization (1990), a learning organization is a place “where people continually expand their capacity to create the results they truly desire, where new and expansive patterns of thinking are nurtured, where collective aspiration is set free, and where people are continually learning how to learn together.”Grey Anatomy Softwalk Grey Gold Flowers Slip On 8 M While some question whether we can truly make a learning organization, Senge’s thinking may help solve our problem of identifying 2nd/3rd order and evil effects.
First, we must embrace new and expansive patterns of thinking. Force developers use the acronym – “DOTMPLF-P” as shorthand for Doctrine, Organization, Training, Materiel, Personnel, Leadership, Facilities, and Policy implications – yet other factors might be as important.
For example, trust in automated or robotics systems must be instilled and measured. In one poll, 73% of respondents noted they would be afraid of riding in a fully autonomous vehicle – up 10% points from the previous year.14 What if we develop a military autonomous vehicle or a leader-follower system and one or more of our host nation allies prohibits its use? What happens if an accident occurs and the host population protests, Dansko Mary Jane Women’s Shoes Sz 7 Eu38 Brown Leather Buckle WedgeSkechers Womens 76559 Black Loafers Size 8.5 (4187)arguing that the Americans don’t care for their safety?
Technologists and concept developers must move from being stove-piped in labs and single-focused to consider the broader view of technological implications across functions.
Embrace Humility. Given that we cannot predict the future and its potential consequences, developers must seek out diversified opinions, and more importantly, recognize divergent opinions.
Embrace the Data. In New York City during World War II, a small organization of some of the most brilliant minds in America worked in the office of the “Applied Mathematics Panel.” In Europe, the 8th U.S. Air Force suffered from devastating bomber losses. Ladies EasySpirit e/24/7 Black Suede Comfort Shoes Size 8Shoes for Crews Slip Water Resistant Valencia Womens Size 8.5 3617Leaders wondered where best to reinforce the bombers with additional armor without significantly increasing their weight to improve survivability. Reports indicated returning bombers suffered gunfire hits over the wings and fuselage, but not in the tail or cockpits, so to the casual observer it made sense to reinforce the wings and fuselage where the damage was clearly visible.
Abraham Wald, a mathematician, worked on the problem. He noted that reinforcing the spots where damage was evident in returning aircraft wasn’t necessarily the best course of action, given that hits to the cockpit and tail were probably causing aircraft (and aircrew) losses during the mission. In a series of memorandums, he developed a “method of estimating plane vulnerability based on damage of survivors.” As Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s Sherlock Holmes noted more than 100 years ago, “It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”Sofft Size 8.5M Black Leather Walking Heel Mules 1029401 Casual Office WearBorn Black Southwest Stripe Leather Wool Wedge Mule W32057 Women US 6M
Additionally, we need to reinforce our practice of performing quality literature reviews to aid in our identification of these issues.
Employ Skepticism and a Devil’s Advocate Approach. In 1587, the Roman Catholic Church created the position of Promoter of the Faith – commonly referred to as the Devil’s Advocate. To insure a candidate for sainthood met the qualification of being canonized, the role of the Devil’s Advocate was to be the skeptic (loyal to the institution), looking for reasons why not to canonize the individual. Similarly, Leaders must embrace the concept of employing a devil’s advocate approach to identifying 2nd/3rd order and evil effects of technology – if not designating a devil’s advocate with the right expertise to identify assumptions, risks, and effects. But creating any devil’s advocate or “risk identification” positions is only useful if their input is seriously considered.
Embrace the Suck. Lastly, if we are serious in identifying the 2nd/3rd order and evil effects, ALEGRIA COPPER FLECKS MARY JANE SHOES sz 39White Mountain Blue Bling Women’s Shoes Size 7to include identifying new dependencies, ethical issues, or other issues which challenge the adaption or development of a new technology or policy – then we must be honest, resilient, and tough. There will be setbacks, delays, and frustration.
Technology holds the power to improve and change our personal and professional lives. For the military, technology changes the ways wars are fought (i.e., the character of war), but it may also change the nature of war by potentially reducing the “human dimension” in war. If robotics, AI, and other technological developments eliminate “danger, physical exertion, intelligence and friction,”17 is war easier to wage? Will technology increase its potential frequency? Will technology create a further separation between the military and the population by decreasing the number of personnel needed? These may be some of the 2nd/3rd order and “evil” effects we need to consider.
If you enjoyed this post, please see Dr. Marsella’s previous post “Second/Third Order, and Evil Effects” – The Dark Side of Technology (Merrell Womens Midnight Flats Size 10.5 (17542))
… as well as the following posts:SAS Womens Sz 8S Genuine Handsewn Oxford Shoe Navy BlueHavana Joe Womens Shoes Sz 6 - 6.5 US Brown Soft Napa Casual Work Spain
– Dansko Pewter Metallic Sequin Slip-On Professional Clog Women's US 7.5, by Dr. Nir Buras