- Altra Womens Paradigm 2.0 Shoes A2635-3 Purple Size 6.5
- LaCrosse Women's Switchgrass 15" 800G Hunting Boot Realtree Edge Rubber
- Sonoma Women's Slip On Black Leather Shoes Size 10M
- Dansko Womens Jenna Flat Slip On Ankle Strap Black Silver Womens Size 36
- Man's/Woman's bottega veneta mens shoes selling price New design wonderful
- Men's Giovanni Dress Shoe Driving Moccasin Wedding Loafer Italian Casual M788-39
- KRAZY SHOE ARTISTS Red Suede Look Penny Loafer Slip On Size 12
- Leisure Slip On Loafers Rivet Driving Low Tops Hidden Wedge Board Mens Shoes New
- Sanuk Mens VAGABOND TRIPPER Suede Loafer Light Brown Casual Shoe Surfer 1020008
- Willowbee Shearling Boots Ruby Brown Suede Size 7
- Anthea Womens High Heel Stilettos Cut Out Ankle Boots Ladies Peep Toe Shoes Size
- totes Women's Rikki Ankle-High Boot, Black, Size 9.0 Jt9p
- Sante Fe Boot Co. Brown Leather Mid Calf Cowboy Western Boots Women's Size 7.5M
- cowboy boots/Tony Lama Leather Boots Size 6B
- Man's/Woman's Drish Leather Sneakers for Men (Navy) wholesale luxurious General product
- New $545 LUCIANO BARBERA Brown Perf Leather Driving Loafers 10 D Shoes Moccasins
- Nike Womens Free Inneva Woven SP BLACK CHAMPAGNE SAIL nsw blue pink roshe yeezy
- US 7 - 11.5 Men Pakistani Aladdin Mojari Curved Toe Khussa Shoe Jooti Juti DD410
- REMONTE D0101 LADIES SLIP ON CASUAL FLAT LEATHER SMART LOAFERS SHOES
- Adidas Derrick Rose Basketball High Top Shoes Bounce 773 Black Men Size 12
- GIRO Urge Men's Cycling Biking Shoes Size 9.5
- NWT APT.9 Collection-Boots – aphirsch PREMIUM CASUAL BOOTS BLACK-GREY
- LL BEAN MENS VINTAGE ANKLE 3 EYE BOOTS GUMSHOE BROWN LEATHER DUCK HUNTING SZ 9 W
- Men's Shoes Fashion Breathable Casual Business Elegant OauL #C666
- Eastland Men's Daily Wear, Work Boot 12 D
- Christian Louboutin White Leather Martha T-strap Sandals Size US 6.5 Regular (M, B)
- Crevo Men's Horchata Ankle Boot Black Suede/Leather Size 8.5 M
- Merrell Jungle Moc AC+ Air Cushioned Black Slip-On Men's sizes 7-15 NEW!!!
- Asics Indigo Blue Gel Lyte III Trainers
- Jimmy Choo Mens Gold Fabric Loafers, Size 13
- Gentlemen/Ladies：Puma Basket Heart Denim Athletic Women's Shoes Size： Modern And Elegant
- KENPOKAN SHUZUSHOPPU | Rakuten Global Market: Top dry drive-star Gore-Tex boots Womens slip TOP &DRY Asahi top dry low boots TDY
- Tory Burch Straw/White Carita Raffia Leather Ballet Flats Size US 8 Regular (M, B)
- NIKE FLEX 2012 EXT RUNNING SHOES MENS SZ 7 NIB TURQUOISE GREEN ORANGE 543825 360
- MEN'S NIKE AIR FORCE 1 HIGH '07 ALL WHITE / WHITE WT3
- Adidas BY9346 Women's Forum Ortholite Reinforced Shoes Beige US 10 /3
- NIKE FLYKNIT ZOOM AGILITY WOMAN SIZE 8.5 VIVID PURPLE VOLTAGE GREEN NEW LIGHT
- Baskets running ADIDAS Energy Boost P 39 ( pour 38) Neuves Valeur 135 Euros
- Fashion Buckle Strap Womens Ankle Boots High Block Heel Pointed Toe Shoes Zipper
- NIB Nike Huarache 08 BBALL Basketball Shoes Tarheels Youth Men Women's AUTHENTIC
- Penny nike shoes men size 8.5
- Chic Womens Over The Knee Thigh High Boots Stilettos High Heels Dress Shoes Size
- Avec Les Filles Womens Lianna Closed Toe Ankle Fashion Boots, Grey, Size 9.0 sUC
- BORN HANDCRAFTED BROWN LEATHER STRAPPY HEELS CLOGS SLIP ONS MULES 40.5 9 MINT!!!
- Men's/Women's Rialto Autumn Ballet Flats, Black High quality and low overhead Used in durability Personalization trend
- Womens Square Toe Bowtie Flats Shoes Leather Mary Janes Date Casual US SIZE NEW
- Mephisto Air Relax Gazelle Black Leather Mary Jane Wedge Flats Women's US 10
- Dr. Martens Estrela Brogues Black Tumbled Leather Oxford Shoes Womens US 9
- 100% AUTHENTIC Miss Blumarine sneakers size
- Skechers Skech-Air Infinity Free Fallin Trainers Womens Memory Foam Sport Knit
- Nike Womens Internationalist JCRD Winter Trainers 859544 Sneakers Shoes
- 1803 adidas TERREX Agravic Women's Trail Running Shoes CQ1732
- Man/Woman Nurse Mates RENE Reptile--size 9.5M Fine processing Quality First negotiation
- Frye MISMATCH Womens 6 6.5 B Extended Calf Melissa NEW Leather Riding Boots jh
- Naot Men's Director Ink Brown Leather Comfort Shoes
[Editor’s Note: In Part I of this series, Dr. Nick Marsella addressed the duty we have to examine our assumptions about emergent warfighting technologies / capabilities and their associated implications to identify potential second / third order and “evil” effects. Womens DANSKO OLIVIA claret leather floral print loafers sz. 36 NEW!New $180 Anniel Ballet Flats Pumps Shoes 8 US 38 US 39EU In today’s post, he prescribes five actions we can embrace both individually and as organizations to avoid confirmation bias and falling into cognitive thinking traps when confronting the ramifications of emergent technologies — Enjoy!]
In part I of my blog post, I advised those advocating for the development and/or fielding of technology to be mindful of the second/third order and possible “evil” effects. I defined “evil” as an unexpected and profound negative implication(s) of the adoption/adaption of a technology and related policy. I also recommended heeding the admonition of Tim Cook, Apple’s CEO, to take responsibility for our technological creations and have the courage to think things through their potential implications – both for the good and the bad.
But even if we as individuals are willing to challenge our assumptions and think broadly and imaginatively, we can still come up short. Why? The answer is due in part to the challenges of prediction and the fact we are human with both great cognitive abilities, but also weaknesses.
First, common sense and many theorists remind us that the future is unknowable.Yosi Samra Ponyhair Round-Toe Black Suede Flats Size: 7Munro American Dana Shoe - Women's Size 8 N, BlackThe futurist Arthur C. Clark noted in 1962, “It is impossible to predict the future, and all attempts to do in any detail appear ludicrous within a very few years.” Within this fixed condition of unknowing, the U.S. Departments of Defense and the Army must make choices to determine:
– what capabilities we desire and its related technology;
– where to invest in research and development; and
As Michael E. Raynor pointed out in his book, NIB Taryn Rose PAMONA Suede Patent Leather Slip On Flats Sz 9.5 Gold Whitre, making choices and developing strategies, which include adopting new technology, where the future is unknowable and “deeply unpredictable” either produces monumental successes or monumental failures.TOD'S Slip On Mules Loafer Pump Shoe Black Leather 7 37 Moc Toe Flat ItalyMen's/Women's LADIES SHOES/FOOTWEAR -Borelli April boot navy Durable service Stylish and fun International big name For a company this can spell financial ruin, while for the Army, it can spell disaster and the loss of Soldiers’ lives and national treasure. Yet, we must also choose a “way ahead” – often by considering “boundaries” – in a sense the left and right limits – of potential implications.
Second, our ability to predict when technology will become available is often in error nor can we accurately determine its implications. For example, in a New York Times editorial on December 8, 1903, it noted: “A man carrying airplane will eventually be built, NIB POUR LA VICTOIRE leather lettuce net shoes US 10 summer airy beautiful!Vionic Women's Splendid Midi Slip-on Champagne 7.5 M USbut only if mathematicians and engineers work steadily for the next ten million years.”5 The Wright Brothers first flight took place the following week, but it took decades for commercial and military aviation to evolve.
Each of the services has faced force modernization challenges due to the adoption of technologies that weren’t mature enough; whose capabilities were over-promised; or did not support operations in the envisioned Operational Environment. For the U.S. Army, Future Combat Systems (FCS) was the most obvious and recent example of this challenge – costing billions of dollars and, just as importantly, lost time and confidence.VIA SPIGA - LILAC2 BLACK PERFORATED LEATHER BALLET FLAT SZ 6 RETAIL $175AGL Attilio Giusti Leombruni Size 37 Platinum Metallic Leather Ballet Flats
Third, in terms of future technology, predictions vary widely. For example, predictions by MIT’s Rodney Brooks and futurist/inventor Ray Kurzweil vary widely to the question – “What year do you think human-level Artificial Intelligence [AI, i.e., a true thinking machine] might be achieved with a 50% probability?” Kurzweil predicts AI (as defined) will be available in 2029, while Brooks is a bit more conservative – the year 2200 – a difference of over 170 years.LAUREN RALPH LAUREN Womens Flats 8.5B Zebra Black White Fuzzy Alice BrazilWomens MUNRO AMERICAN 225488 light gray leather Mary Jane flats sz. 5 M $180
While one can understand the difficulty of predicting when “general AI” will be available, other technologies offer similar difficulties. The vision of the “self-driving” autonomous vehicle was first written about and experimented with in the 1920s, yet technological limitations, legal concerns, customer fears, and other barriers make implementing this capability challenging.
Lastly, as Rodney Brooks has highlighted, $365 STUART WEITZMAN METALMOC Green olive Leather Buckled Designer Loafers 9.5 maintains:
“we tend to overestimate the effect of a technology in the short run and underestimate the effect in the long run.”Rockport Women's World Tour Oxford Black US Size 7.0M
SECOND, THIRD ORDER AND EVIL EFFECTS
– intentionally focus on the positive effects of adopting a technology;
– ignore the experts and those who identify the potential downside of technology; and
– fail to think thorough the short, long, and potentially dangerous effects or dependencies – imaginatively.
We do this because we are human, and more often because we fall into the confirmation bias or other cognitive thinking traps that might affect our program or pet technology. As noted by RAND in Truth Decay:Rachel Zoe Women's 'Lily' Kid Suede Dress Shoes Size US 9 MNike Free 5.0 TR Fit 4 PRT Womens Black/White/Cool Grey/Wolf Grey Sneakers sz 12
“Cognitive biases and the ways in which human beings process information and make decisions cause people to look for information, opinion, and analyses that confirm preexisting beliefs, to weigh experience more heavily than data and facts, and then to rely on mental shortcuts and the beliefs of those in the same social networks when forming opinions and making decisions.”9
Yet, the warning signs or signals for many unanticipated effects can be found simply by conducting a literature review of government, think tank, academic, and popular reports (to perhaps include science fiction). This may deter some, given the sheer volume of literature is often overwhelming, but contained within these reports are many of the challenges associated with future technology, such as: the potential for deep fakes, loss of privacy, hacking,new Sofft gray LEATHER SHOES Flower accent WOMAN US 9 NEW RARE niceWOMEN'S BADGLEY MISCHKA BLACK PATENT LEATHER RHINESTONES FLATS LOAFERS 10 M accidents, deception, and loss of industries/jobs.
At the national level, both the current and previous administrations published reports on AI, as has the Department of Defense – some more balanced in addressing of issues of fairness, safety, governance, and ethics.10
For example, using photo recognition to help law enforcement and others seems like a great idea, yet its use is increasingly being questioned. This past May, San Francisco became the first city to ban its use, and others may follow suit.11 While some question this decision to ban vice impose a moratorium until the technology produces less errors, the question remains – did the developers and policy makers consider if there would be push back to its introduction given its current performance?Andrew Charles D124 NAPPA NERO ballerina shoes Women's Black USNAOT 37 BLACK NUBUCK AND PATENT LEATHER MARY JANES US WOMEN SIZE 6 What sources did they consult?
Another challenge is language. You’ve seen the commercials – “there is much we can do with AI” – in farming, business, and even beer making. While “AI” is a clever tag line, it may invoke unnecessary fear and misunderstanding. For example, I believe for most people equate “robotics” and “AI” with the “Terminator” franchise, raising the fear of uncontrolled autonomous military force overwhelming humanity. Even worse – under the moniker of “AI,” we will buy into “snake-oil” propositions.
We are at least decades away from “general AI” where a “system exhibits apparently intelligence behavior at least as advanced as a person” across the “full range of cognitive tasks,” but we continue to flaunt the use of “AI” without elaboration.CC Resorts BLISS - Slip On Flat Shoe - BlushFinn Comfort Black Leather Clogs Women's Size US 10-11 Mules Slip On
SOME ACTIONS TO TAKE
Embrace a learning organization. Popularized by Peter Senge’s The Fifth Discipline: The Art and Practice of the Learning Organization (1990), a learning organization is a place “where people continually expand their capacity to create the results they truly desire, where new and expansive patterns of thinking are nurtured, where collective aspiration is set free, and where people are continually learning how to learn together.”Men's/Women's ZUCCa Shoes 124283 White M elegant Stylish and fun German Outlets While some question whether we can truly make a learning organization, Senge’s thinking may help solve our problem of identifying 2nd/3rd order and evil effects.
First, we must embrace new and expansive patterns of thinking. Force developers use the acronym – “DOTMPLF-P” as shorthand for Doctrine, Organization, Training, Materiel, Personnel, Leadership, Facilities, and Policy implications – yet other factors might be as important.
For example, trust in automated or robotics systems must be instilled and measured. In one poll, 73% of respondents noted they would be afraid of riding in a fully autonomous vehicle – up 10% points from the previous year.14 What if we develop a military autonomous vehicle or a leader-follower system and one or more of our host nation allies prohibits its use? What happens if an accident occurs and the host population protests, Sam Edelman Falon Perforated Tan Suede Flats Sz 6M 5168FRYE GWEN Women Mule (8.5 M, WHITE)arguing that the Americans don’t care for their safety?
Technologists and concept developers must move from being stove-piped in labs and single-focused to consider the broader view of technological implications across functions.
Embrace Humility. Given that we cannot predict the future and its potential consequences, developers must seek out diversified opinions, and more importantly, recognize divergent opinions.
Embrace the Data. In New York City during World War II, a small organization of some of the most brilliant minds in America worked in the office of the “Applied Mathematics Panel.” In Europe, the 8th U.S. Air Force suffered from devastating bomber losses. Jon Josef Womens Bee Happy Denim Loafer FlatVersace 19.69 B1670 VITELLO TAUPE COCCO TAUPE Brogue Women's Taupe USLeaders wondered where best to reinforce the bombers with additional armor without significantly increasing their weight to improve survivability. Reports indicated returning bombers suffered gunfire hits over the wings and fuselage, but not in the tail or cockpits, so to the casual observer it made sense to reinforce the wings and fuselage where the damage was clearly visible.
Abraham Wald, a mathematician, worked on the problem. He noted that reinforcing the spots where damage was evident in returning aircraft wasn’t necessarily the best course of action, given that hits to the cockpit and tail were probably causing aircraft (and aircrew) losses during the mission. In a series of memorandums, he developed a “method of estimating plane vulnerability based on damage of survivors.” As Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s Sherlock Holmes noted more than 100 years ago, “It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”Alegria pg lite Rare Zebra 41 10.5 Tuscany Mule Slip On NIB Shoes Clog Black WhtFRYE SZ 7.5 Black Leather Slip On Boat Shoes w/ White Rubber Trim NORDSTROM
Additionally, we need to reinforce our practice of performing quality literature reviews to aid in our identification of these issues.
Employ Skepticism and a Devil’s Advocate Approach. In 1587, the Roman Catholic Church created the position of Promoter of the Faith – commonly referred to as the Devil’s Advocate. To insure a candidate for sainthood met the qualification of being canonized, the role of the Devil’s Advocate was to be the skeptic (loyal to the institution), looking for reasons why not to canonize the individual. Similarly, Leaders must embrace the concept of employing a devil’s advocate approach to identifying 2nd/3rd order and evil effects of technology – if not designating a devil’s advocate with the right expertise to identify assumptions, risks, and effects. But creating any devil’s advocate or “risk identification” positions is only useful if their input is seriously considered.
Embrace the Suck. Lastly, if we are serious in identifying the 2nd/3rd order and evil effects, FABIO RUSCONI Shoes 898241 Purple 35 1/2Louise Et Cie Womens LO-Dahlian Leather Almond Toe Loafers Grey Size 8.0to include identifying new dependencies, ethical issues, or other issues which challenge the adaption or development of a new technology or policy – then we must be honest, resilient, and tough. There will be setbacks, delays, and frustration.
Technology holds the power to improve and change our personal and professional lives. For the military, technology changes the ways wars are fought (i.e., the character of war), but it may also change the nature of war by potentially reducing the “human dimension” in war. If robotics, AI, and other technological developments eliminate “danger, physical exertion, intelligence and friction,”17 is war easier to wage? Will technology increase its potential frequency? Will technology create a further separation between the military and the population by decreasing the number of personnel needed? These may be some of the 2nd/3rd order and “evil” effects we need to consider.
If you enjoyed this post, please see Dr. Marsella’s previous post “Second/Third Order, and Evil Effects” – The Dark Side of Technology (Pre-owned DONALD J. PLINER Pony Hair Animal Print Slippers SZ 6M)
– Espadrille model 84005 Inello - Matter - Shoes, by Dr. Nir Buras