- Crocs Men's Santa Cruz 2 Luxe Slip-ons - Khaki (202056-261)
- Vlado Men's Atlas II 2 Black Mint Hi-Top Shoes IG-1500W-G264 A29-6
- Ladies Womens Winter Boots Snow Warm Fur Button Ankle Comfy Mid Calf Shoes Size
- TOPLINE WOMEN PLATFORM TALL BOOTS SAMPLE SHOES GRAY SIZE 6 (P63)
- DURANGO Brown Leather Slouch Cowboy Western Boots Womens Size 8.5 M Style RD542
- east 5th Alexi Ankle Booties Black Size 8.5 M
- Sbicca Women's Dolente Boot, Black/Multi, 8.5 B US
- Rockport Size 12 Black Leather Slip On Loafers New Mens Shoes
- HOGAN NEW INTERACTIVE MAN SNEAKER SHOES CASUAL FREE TIME CODE HXM00N025821TB741G
- US 8 INDIAN HANDMADE LEATHER MEN SHOES FLIP-FLOPS ETHNIC MOJARIES FLAT KCIM763
- 500$ Bally Venzio Black Leather Sandals size US 13 Made in Italy
- JCrew Collection ankle-wrap heels in Ratti geometric tile print F8013 $268 Size9
- Diadora soccer shoes mens size 11 1/2
- Nike Mens 11.5 Zoom Rival D 9 Track & Field Sprint Spikes Shoes 806556-804 NEW
- Vintage La Mondiale Goat Fur Boots Yeti Apres Ski Snow Winter New Unique
- Mens Nike LUNAR FORCE 1 LUX BHM QS Shoes -Black -650719 001 -Sz 10.5 -New
- Sperry Top-Sider Brewster WP Boot Mens Navy Boots
- Mens Round Toe Buckle Zip Mid Culf Military Combat Punk Boots Shoes Flat Chz
- Vintage 80s Lands End Hiking Boots Size 9 Duck Frog Camo Frog Military Vibram
- Dakota 8" Quad CA Toe Composite Plate Men's Dark Brown Work Boots 11W
- Caterpillar REZNOR Oxford Mens Work Casual Brown Leather/Nubuck Shoes Sneakers
- Rockport Men's Style Purpose Plain Toe Oxford
- FW15 ADIDAS LOS ANGELES LE FORMATEUR CHAUSSURES HOMMES FEMME B24784
- Christian Louboutin Black Anjalina 100 Patent Pumps Size EU 37.5 (Approx. US 7.5) Regular (M, B)
- Prada Black Pony Skin Ankle Boots/Booties Size EU 39 (Approx. US 9) Regular (M, B)
- adidas Black Los Angeles Polka Dot Sneakers Sneakers Size US 7 Regular (M, B)
- NEW MENS NIKE ZOOM TRAIN TORANADA 835657 560 SNEAKERS-SIZE 11.5
- New Nike Flex 2016 Run Mens Running Shoes Sz 8 Blue, Silver, Black, White
- Adidas Women Tubular Defiant Primeknit black core black core white S79864
- Nike Women's Cortez Classic LX Velvet Sail 【AA3255-100】Size 7
- Teva Women's Azure 2 Strap Thong Sandal Tan Multi Thong Sandals
- RF ROOM OF FASHION Trend-HI Over-The-Knee Slouchy Shaft Flat Low Heel Boots
- Nike Air Jordan Rivelare Scarpe Sportive Uomo 834064 100 da Tennis Svendita
- NIKE MEN'S SIZE 11.5 LEBRON SOLDIER XII SFG BLACK HAZEL RUSH AO4054 001
- Womens Floral Rhinestones Beads Sequins Ankle Boots Chunky Heel Leather Shoe New
- Sugar Women's SGR-Prodigy Over The Knee Boot, Black Micro, 7.5 Medium US
- women over Knee Real big Mink fox fur leather snow thigh boots long winter Warm
- Shellys London Womens Fontain Pointed Toe Oxfords
- Jambu Women's Jackie Vegan Fashion Sneaker Black 8.5 M US
- °°° CHAUSSURES SNEAKERS PRADA EN CUIR NOIR T 38,5 EN PARFAIT ETAT
- Stubbs & Wootton Red Blue Embroidered Canvas Slippers Flats Loafers Shoes Size 9
- Tory Burch Chelsea Stitched Logo Ballet Flats Iced Coffee Size 7.5 M
- Women's Asics GT 2000-6 running shoes.Multi-color.US size 7.5 medium.
- Y.R.U. PASTEL QOZMO Hi Platform Sneaker SIZE 6, 7,8, 9, 10 -SALE
- Adidas Pure Boost X 2.0 Clima Womens BB6089 White Silver Running Shoes Size 10.5
- Womens shoes MBT Swiss Masai Lifestyle blue white leather walking sneakers 7.5
- Bronx Leather Ada Boots Heels Strappy Women's Size 37 US 7 Made Brazil
- Bottega Veneta Nero White Dodger Intrecciato Men’s Shoes Size 45.5/12.5
- Men's Generic Surplus Wellington Wool/Suede Fashion Sneakers Shoes Sz 13
- FRYE Black Soft Leather Loafers Slip On Shoes SZ 8.5 D
- Dr. DOC MARTENS MEN’S 8A42 SERIES BROWN SHOES US-9M, UK-8
- NIB Cole Haan Mens GrandPro Runner Bourbon Suede Shoes 10.5 $150
- dillian-7 Mid Calf Synthetic Zipper Low Heel Women's Casual Boots Cognac 8-
- LILIANA Olivie 1Side Cut Out Gold Trim Woman's Ankle Bootie
- Women's Trendy Purple Pearl Thigh High Platform Over The Knee Boots
- Teva De La Vina Ankle Low Boots Women's US 8.5 1003012 Brown Leather Zipper (b74
- Luxe Co. Womens MONGOL Sheep Skin Round Toe Ankle Cold, midnight, Size 6.0
- Nike AIR JORDAN V 5's Shoes Retro 2006 Fire Red Size 13 Just Do It Jumpman
- Kenneth Cole Shoes Design 10688 Fashion Men Grey Brand New
- Super Rare!! Puma Mihara Yasuhiro MY 41 Red White Blue From JAPAN Free shipping
- 100%authentic Fendi Zucca Thong Sandals flipflops sz 8UK (9US)
- Madewell $108 The Callie Slipper Flats in Suede Ink Blue 6 G5414
- MEN'S NIKE DUAL FUSION X SHOES SIZE 10.5 grey orange 709558 002
- Nike White Black Mens Flywire Training lift run jump cut shoes Size 8.5
- 2 Color New Cap Toe Zip Leather Mens Formal Dress Wedding Ankle Boots Shoes Hot
- Merrell Brevard Chukka Boot - Men's size 11.5 - Brown
- Kenneth Cole New York Men's Design 10425 Chelsea Boot, Cognac, Size 10.5
- Men's Merona Ethan Brown Nubuck Leather Chukkas Ankle Boots NWT Size 8.5
- Jimmy Choo Beige Suede Dillan Criss Cross Block Heel Open Sandals Size EU 37 (Approx. US 7) Regular (M, B)
- Christian Louboutin Black Viyonce 70 Buckled Shearling Fur Biker Moto Leather Heels Boots/Booties Size EU 36 (Approx. US 6) Regular (M, B)
- Christian Louboutin Gold Classic Mille Cinque 100mm Metallic Lattice Leather Cage Peep-toe Pumps Size EU 37.5 (Approx. US 7.5) Regular (M, B)
- Nike Men's Basketball Shoes Air Flight Huarache Ultra Berry Blue 13 880856-100
- Nike Men's CK Racer Running Shoes Sneakers 916780 002 Size 10 NEW
- NEW Woman's Adidas Superstar Up Wedge S76404 Snake Skin Triple Black SZ 10 US
- New Wolverine Mens Waterproof Composite Toe EH Pull On Boots Style W10152 MB
- Donald J Pliner Mens Loafers Size 9.5 Brown Suede Leather Silver Tone Hardware
- NoSoX Men's Wino Mesh Slip-On Navy/White Slip-on Shoes
- New Caterpillar Cat Propane Mens Steel Toe Safety Boots
- NEW Adidas Size 10.5 Tubular Instinct Originals Men's Shoes S80088 Sneakers
- New Womens Nike Air Max 90 Ultra SE Running Shoes Sz 10.5 Black White 859523 200
- Men/Women Ryka Women's Dominion Walking Shoe, Black/White, superior Quality and quantity guaranteed a wide variety of goods
- New Womens Tall High Heel Fringe Tassel Faux Suede Mid-Calf Boot Shoes All US
- Nike Payaa Green Cargo Khaki/ Black QS Size 12.5. 807738-300. roshe chukka max
- Nike Mens Free Trainer V7 Training Shoes nk898053 003
- Northside Women's BRECKLIN Snow Boot, Navy, 7 M US
- Zara Over The Knee Flat Yellow Mustard Boots US 5
- ECCO Womens Shape 55 Chalet Mid Ankle Bootie / 8- US- Pick SZ/Color.
- Women Shoes Slip On Flat Rhinestone fur Decorate Splice Round Toe Zsell
- SoftWalk Womens Whistle Leather Closed Toe Loafers
- Womens Punk Leather Round Toe Rivet Creeper Shoes Flats Platform Slip On Loafers
- Everlane modern point flat italian leather, Black And White, 8
[Editor’s Note: In Part I of this series, Dr. Nick Marsella addressed the duty we have to examine our assumptions about emergent warfighting technologies / capabilities and their associated implications to identify potential second / third order and “evil” effects. Reebok Work shoes Steel Toe Occupational Black Blue Leather Men’s Sz 9 SneakersUnder Armour Charged Bandit 1258783-001 Black White MENS Sz 13 In today’s post, he prescribes five actions we can embrace both individually and as organizations to avoid confirmation bias and falling into cognitive thinking traps when confronting the ramifications of emergent technologies — Enjoy!]
In part I of my blog post, I advised those advocating for the development and/or fielding of technology to be mindful of the second/third order and possible “evil” effects. I defined “evil” as an unexpected and profound negative implication(s) of the adoption/adaption of a technology and related policy. I also recommended heeding the admonition of Tim Cook, Apple’s CEO, to take responsibility for our technological creations and have the courage to think things through their potential implications – both for the good and the bad.
But even if we as individuals are willing to challenge our assumptions and think broadly and imaginatively, we can still come up short. Why? The answer is due in part to the challenges of prediction and the fact we are human with both great cognitive abilities, but also weaknesses.
First, common sense and many theorists remind us that the future is unknowable.Converse All Star Chuck Taylor 2 Tone Hi Top Shoes 1K744 Men's US 5 Women's US 7Nike Air Jordan New School Red Black Basketball Shoes Size Mens 11.5 469955-001The futurist Arthur C. Clark noted in 1962, “It is impossible to predict the future, and all attempts to do in any detail appear ludicrous within a very few years.” Within this fixed condition of unknowing, the U.S. Departments of Defense and the Army must make choices to determine:
– what capabilities we desire and its related technology;
– where to invest in research and development; and
As Michael E. Raynor pointed out in his book, Men's Size 5.5 Team Adidas Goodyear Low Racing Driving White Green Shoes EUC, making choices and developing strategies, which include adopting new technology, where the future is unknowable and “deeply unpredictable” either produces monumental successes or monumental failures.NIKE Black/White HUARACHE 2K FILTH ELITE LOW METAL BASEBALL CLEATS Shoes 11 45VARIFLEX Of California Vintage Skateboarding Shoes Mens 10 in RED Slip On Canvas For a company this can spell financial ruin, while for the Army, it can spell disaster and the loss of Soldiers’ lives and national treasure. Yet, we must also choose a “way ahead” – often by considering “boundaries” – in a sense the left and right limits – of potential implications.
Second, our ability to predict when technology will become available is often in error nor can we accurately determine its implications. For example, in a New York Times editorial on December 8, 1903, it noted: “A man carrying airplane will eventually be built, Nike Zoom Mens JA FLY 3 OC Rio Track & Field Spikes Volt Size 15 (882032-999)Nike Hyperdunk Men’s Size 13 Obsidian Black/Crimson Red 844359-446.(2016)- USEDbut only if mathematicians and engineers work steadily for the next ten million years.”5 The Wright Brothers first flight took place the following week, but it took decades for commercial and military aviation to evolve.
Each of the services has faced force modernization challenges due to the adoption of technologies that weren’t mature enough; whose capabilities were over-promised; or did not support operations in the envisioned Operational Environment. For the U.S. Army, Future Combat Systems (FCS) was the most obvious and recent example of this challenge – costing billions of dollars and, just as importantly, lost time and confidence.Vans Black Plaid Canvas Skateboarding Shoes Men's Size 9.5 TRUSTED SELLERNike Kyrie 3 II - Kyrie Irving - Size 5.5Y Boys (38 EUR) JBY
Third, in terms of future technology, predictions vary widely. For example, predictions by MIT’s Rodney Brooks and futurist/inventor Ray Kurzweil vary widely to the question – “What year do you think human-level Artificial Intelligence [AI, i.e., a true thinking machine] might be achieved with a 50% probability?” Kurzweil predicts AI (as defined) will be available in 2029, while Brooks is a bit more conservative – the year 2200 – a difference of over 170 years.Skechers Mens - White Walking Shoes Size 8.5 (353173)EUC Nike AIR Force 1 '82 XXV 14 US 315122-241 Beige Linen Univ Blue Mens Shoes
While one can understand the difficulty of predicting when “general AI” will be available, other technologies offer similar difficulties. The vision of the “self-driving” autonomous vehicle was first written about and experimented with in the 1920s, yet technological limitations, legal concerns, customer fears, and other barriers make implementing this capability challenging.
Lastly, as Rodney Brooks has highlighted, Converse All Star Ox Low Sneakers Hot Pink Yellow Zebra Lined Mens 6 Women 8 maintains:
“we tend to overestimate the effect of a technology in the short run and underestimate the effect in the long run.”Nike Air Jordan mens SC 1. 538698-102 Red White Black Size 11.5 excellent
SECOND, THIRD ORDER AND EVIL EFFECTS
– intentionally focus on the positive effects of adopting a technology;
– ignore the experts and those who identify the potential downside of technology; and
– fail to think thorough the short, long, and potentially dangerous effects or dependencies – imaginatively.
We do this because we are human, and more often because we fall into the confirmation bias or other cognitive thinking traps that might affect our program or pet technology. As noted by RAND in Truth Decay:Man's/Woman's Nike 759996-001 Size10.5 feature Sales Italy Suitable for colorLacoste Mens Fashion Sneaker Size 9.5 (17442)
“Cognitive biases and the ways in which human beings process information and make decisions cause people to look for information, opinion, and analyses that confirm preexisting beliefs, to weigh experience more heavily than data and facts, and then to rely on mental shortcuts and the beliefs of those in the same social networks when forming opinions and making decisions.”9
Yet, the warning signs or signals for many unanticipated effects can be found simply by conducting a literature review of government, think tank, academic, and popular reports (to perhaps include science fiction). This may deter some, given the sheer volume of literature is often overwhelming, but contained within these reports are many of the challenges associated with future technology, such as: the potential for deep fakes, loss of privacy, hacking,Adidas Tennis Court Top Q20159 Size 12 Blue HalfshoesNew Mens Nike Free Huarache Carnivore SP Shoes 801759-413 sz 5 Obsidian Navy accidents, deception, and loss of industries/jobs.
At the national level, both the current and previous administrations published reports on AI, as has the Department of Defense – some more balanced in addressing of issues of fairness, safety, governance, and ethics.10
For example, using photo recognition to help law enforcement and others seems like a great idea, yet its use is increasingly being questioned. This past May, San Francisco became the first city to ban its use, and others may follow suit.11 While some question this decision to ban vice impose a moratorium until the technology produces less errors, the question remains – did the developers and policy makers consider if there would be push back to its introduction given its current performance?Nike Zoom Rival Track Shoes Mens Size 12 Metallic Silver Lime 429986–070Reebok Men's OSR Sweet RD SE Sneaker, Vital Blue/Black/White, 9 M US What sources did they consult?
Another challenge is language. You’ve seen the commercials – “there is much we can do with AI” – in farming, business, and even beer making. While “AI” is a clever tag line, it may invoke unnecessary fear and misunderstanding. For example, I believe for most people equate “robotics” and “AI” with the “Terminator” franchise, raising the fear of uncontrolled autonomous military force overwhelming humanity. Even worse – under the moniker of “AI,” we will buy into “snake-oil” propositions.
We are at least decades away from “general AI” where a “system exhibits apparently intelligence behavior at least as advanced as a person” across the “full range of cognitive tasks,” but we continue to flaunt the use of “AI” without elaboration.Skechers Mens - Gray Walking Shoes Size 13 (347424)K Swiss Men's Classic Size 14 Us 13 uk
SOME ACTIONS TO TAKE
Embrace a learning organization. Popularized by Peter Senge’s The Fifth Discipline: The Art and Practice of the Learning Organization (1990), a learning organization is a place “where people continually expand their capacity to create the results they truly desire, where new and expansive patterns of thinking are nurtured, where collective aspiration is set free, and where people are continually learning how to learn together.”Skechers Mens - Black Running Shoes Size 11.5 (356075) While some question whether we can truly make a learning organization, Senge’s thinking may help solve our problem of identifying 2nd/3rd order and evil effects.
First, we must embrace new and expansive patterns of thinking. Force developers use the acronym – “DOTMPLF-P” as shorthand for Doctrine, Organization, Training, Materiel, Personnel, Leadership, Facilities, and Policy implications – yet other factors might be as important.
For example, trust in automated or robotics systems must be instilled and measured. In one poll, 73% of respondents noted they would be afraid of riding in a fully autonomous vehicle – up 10% points from the previous year.14 What if we develop a military autonomous vehicle or a leader-follower system and one or more of our host nation allies prohibits its use? What happens if an accident occurs and the host population protests, Adidas "Superstar" Black Blue White Classic Retro Low Sneaker size 11 Mens 2006Mr/Ms $139.99 Clae McQueen (merlot) A01241-MRL use Brand Elegant and robust menuarguing that the Americans don’t care for their safety?
Technologists and concept developers must move from being stove-piped in labs and single-focused to consider the broader view of technological implications across functions.
Embrace Humility. Given that we cannot predict the future and its potential consequences, developers must seek out diversified opinions, and more importantly, recognize divergent opinions.
Embrace the Data. In New York City during World War II, a small organization of some of the most brilliant minds in America worked in the office of the “Applied Mathematics Panel.” In Europe, the 8th U.S. Air Force suffered from devastating bomber losses. Under Armour Mens Gray Shoes Size 12.5Converse Low Chuck Taylor II 2 Unisex Size 4 Mens LUNARLON All Black NEWLeaders wondered where best to reinforce the bombers with additional armor without significantly increasing their weight to improve survivability. Reports indicated returning bombers suffered gunfire hits over the wings and fuselage, but not in the tail or cockpits, so to the casual observer it made sense to reinforce the wings and fuselage where the damage was clearly visible.
Abraham Wald, a mathematician, worked on the problem. He noted that reinforcing the spots where damage was evident in returning aircraft wasn’t necessarily the best course of action, given that hits to the cockpit and tail were probably causing aircraft (and aircrew) losses during the mission. In a series of memorandums, he developed a “method of estimating plane vulnerability based on damage of survivors.” As Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s Sherlock Holmes noted more than 100 years ago, “It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”Puma Complete Itana Shoes Men's (184724 02) Special Size 7.5 - 40 NewSkechers Mens - Black Walking Shoes Size 11.5 (352003)
Additionally, we need to reinforce our practice of performing quality literature reviews to aid in our identification of these issues.
Employ Skepticism and a Devil’s Advocate Approach. In 1587, the Roman Catholic Church created the position of Promoter of the Faith – commonly referred to as the Devil’s Advocate. To insure a candidate for sainthood met the qualification of being canonized, the role of the Devil’s Advocate was to be the skeptic (loyal to the institution), looking for reasons why not to canonize the individual. Similarly, Leaders must embrace the concept of employing a devil’s advocate approach to identifying 2nd/3rd order and evil effects of technology – if not designating a devil’s advocate with the right expertise to identify assumptions, risks, and effects. But creating any devil’s advocate or “risk identification” positions is only useful if their input is seriously considered.
Embrace the Suck. Lastly, if we are serious in identifying the 2nd/3rd order and evil effects, STARTER MENS RUNNING SHOES SIZE 8.5 MENS ATHLETIC SPORTS SHOES CASUAL DRESS NEWHush Puppies Men's Dark Grey Mesh Luton Speed Oxford 9.5Wto include identifying new dependencies, ethical issues, or other issues which challenge the adaption or development of a new technology or policy – then we must be honest, resilient, and tough. There will be setbacks, delays, and frustration.
Technology holds the power to improve and change our personal and professional lives. For the military, technology changes the ways wars are fought (i.e., the character of war), but it may also change the nature of war by potentially reducing the “human dimension” in war. If robotics, AI, and other technological developments eliminate “danger, physical exertion, intelligence and friction,”17 is war easier to wage? Will technology increase its potential frequency? Will technology create a further separation between the military and the population by decreasing the number of personnel needed? These may be some of the 2nd/3rd order and “evil” effects we need to consider.
If you enjoyed this post, please see Dr. Marsella’s previous post “Second/Third Order, and Evil Effects” – The Dark Side of Technology (Gentleman/Lady NEW~NIKE~PRO~MVP~BASEBALL~CLEATS~SHOES~SNEAKERS~SIZE 13.5~RED~524641 610 Good world reputation Environmentally friendly a wide variety of goods)
… as well as the following posts:Converse Unisex Gray Chuck Taylor All Star Canvas Skate Shoes Size 6Men's DEXTER White, Grey, and Black Sneakers Size 11M