- VALSPORT 1920 MEN'S SHOES LEATHER TRAINERS SNEAKERS NEW TOURNAMENT WHITE 833
- Baldinini Leather Shoes Sizes 6,8,9,10,11 Blue Italian Extra-Light Rubber Sole
- Dr Comfort Mens Shoes 12XW Frank 6210 Black Pressure Relief Monk Tabbed Loafers
- Kenneth Cole New York Mens Dis-Miss Sneaker Shoes, Taupe, US 9.5
- MENS NEW LEATHER SLIP ON GOOD YEAR WELTED SOLE CHELSEA ANKLE TAN BOOTS SHOES
- Women's Call It Spring ANNOR BLACK TALL BOOTS ONE SIZE MSRP$80 NEW IN BOX
- Women Vintage Chunky Low Heels Thick Heel Short Boot Ankle Booties Hollow Shoes
- NEW MINNETONKA Middleton Mini Boots (Size 6)
- Steve Madden Temptng Open Toe Leather Booties, Women's - Size 9 B, Black
- Nine West Womens Jilene Fabric Closed Toe Ankle Fashion Boots
- ECCO Men's Soft 8 High Top Fashion Sneaker
- Klogs Knight Mens Leather Slip-on - Slip R Black Smooth - 8.5 Medium
- COLE HAAN ZeroGrand Wingtip Oxford Shoes StitchLite Marine Blue Size 9.0
- Sanita - Wood-Ralph Open PU - Black
- Tod's Degas Suede Ballet Flats Red Shoes Women's Size 38.5 / 8
- Gentlemen/Ladies NEW ETNIES MENS SCOUT SHOE Modern technology Good market Immediate delivery
- Superdry Sleek Low Top Trainers RRP .99 UK Size 7
- Madden Men's M Covert Winter Boot, Size 10, Free Shipping
- Rocky Governor Brown Leather Waterproof Composite Toe Work Boots RKYK002
- Mens Workload Work Boot. Sz 5. Steel Toe. Oil Resistant
- LaCrosse Camo Goretex Leather Insulated Winter Work Waterproof Boots Men’s 10M
- Chic Punk Mens Oxford Zip Fur Lined Platform Casual Shoes Leather Mid Calf Boots
- Valentino Rockstud Pointy Toe Classic Pumps Blacknude Trim 35.5
- Men/Women Tundra Men's Sol Winter Boot Many styles Quality First Complete specifications
- Clarks Unstructured Un.Ravel Casual Comfort Oxford Shoes Black Leather Mens 12 M
- $395 Bruno Magli Westy Leather Fashion Sneakers Shoes Cognac Brown Size US 9.5 D
- [Adidas] BB5478 Originals Gazelle Men Women Running Shoes Sneakers Navy
- Stuart Weitzman Red Turbo Suede Over The Knee Boots/Booties Size EU 36.5 (Approx. US 6.5) Regular (M, B)
- Christian Louboutin New In Box Aribak Black Pumps Size US 9 Regular (M, B)
- NEW NIKE VAPOR CARBON ELITE TD 2014 Blue Football Cleats MENS 13.5 $185
- Nike Air Max Fingertrap Mens Sz 12 Running Training Shoes Black Red 644673-006
- Adidas INIKI Runner Boost Black Haze Coral Pink White BB0000 Womens Trainers
- WMNS NIKE KYRIE 4 ID GREEN-PURPLE-GOLD-BLACK SZ 9 AR3868-911
- PUMA Women's Vikky Velvet Rope BL Platform, Cordovan, Size 8.0
- Man's/Woman's AGL TALL SUEDE BOOTS SIZE 36/6 Complete specification range Comfortable touch Direct business
- Nike x UNDEFEATED LIMITED LUNAR AIR FORCE 1 LOW SIZE 15 New DS SUPREME
- Nike Air More Uptempo SE (GS) ~ 922845 200 ~ Youth Size 5
- Men/Women Skechers Women's D'Lites-This Just in Quality products Reliable performance Beautiful and charming
- Laredo Crackle Goat Skin Cowgirl Boot - Square Toe - 51041
- COLE HAAN MULES WOMENS SIZE 6 B SLIP ON SANDALS SHOES
- Women's Boat Shoes Straw Plaited Espadrilles Loafers Suede Slip On Casual Comfy
- SAS Wink Tripad Comfort Penny Loafers Pewter Leather Sz 7.5M
- NIB Womens Cole Haan Valida Patent Mules Size 5.5
- PRADA Women's Black Leather Drawstring square Toe Slip On Loafers Flats 37.5 7
- CLARKS Women's Un Swan Mary Jane Flat
- Skechers Performance 14713 Womens Go Step Lite-Champ Walking Shoe
- ASICS Women's GT-2000 6 Running Shoe Limelight/White/Mid Grey 8 B(M) US
- NIKE Womens Nike Presto Fly Se 910570-101 LT OREWOOD BRN Size 6
- Nike Air Max 97 Light Bone Deadly Pink Mushroom 921733 004 Women’s Sz 9
- Skechers Women's Synergy Air-Cooled Memory Foam Sneaker 12363/WSL Size 11M
- Men/Women louboutin 48 Wear resistant Known for its good quality Simple
- Nunn Bush BLACK SHOES MEN'S SIZE 11M
- Adidas SL Loop Racer Men Round Toe Synthetic Black Running Shoe
- JOSEF SEIBEL 'The European Comfort Shoe' US11/UK10 Black Quilted Leather Sneaker
- Gentleman/Lady PUMA Men's Clyde Core Foil Sneaker New product Let our goods go to the world Diversified new design
- Kennth Cole Reaction Womens Moto Running Brown Leather Boots Sz 6.5
- Women's Shoes Qupid TUXEDO 68 D'Orsay Closed Toe Ankle Booties BLACK SUEDE *New*
- Women Creeper Wedge Heel Platform Ankle Stripe Pointed Toe Buckle Tie Leather
- Women's Mid Calf Boot Strappy Black Buckle Studded Block Heel Shoes Black SZ 9
- Vera Bradley Northern Stripes Rain Boot BRAND NEW!
- Shoes Geox Vinto u722la 00022 c6zb3 Casual Sneakers man Ebony Musk Fashion
- Clarks - Mens Chilver Hi Gtx Low Boot
- Sanuk Men's COMPASS WEBBING Grey/Charcoal (GRHR) 1013179 Casual Flip Flop Sandal
- Chaco Mens M11 Sandals Sport Shoes Ankle Strap Open Toe Green Design Outdoor
- adidas Voloomix White Black Men Sandal Slippers Slides S80406
- Converse 135297F Ct AS Hi Athletic Navy BLUE suede mens size 10.5 WITH BOX
- Nike Flex 2017 RN 898457-007 Mens Running Shoes Anthracite Volt Cool Grey NEW
- Fendi Black Green Monster Sneakers Size EU 37.5 (Approx. US 7.5) Regular (M, B)
- Christian Louboutin White Follies Spike 100mm Red Sole Pumps Size EU 38.5 (Approx. US 8.5) Regular (M, B)
- NEW DIAMONDBACK ACTION LEATHER 6" STEEL TOE BLACK 9.5 M WORK CASUAL BOOT 6519714
- Billy Boots BFKS Commander Composite Toe 9" High Work Boots Sz 4-13 Free US Ship
- VTG MENS JUSTIN COWBOY SOFT LEATHER BROWN BOOTS SIZE 11 D
- Giorgio Brutini 660141 Leather Black Boots Men's Shoes Size 9 M
- Bed Stu Mens Terminate Zip-Up Boot - Tan Greenland 5 Year Wash Size 9.5
- Blundstone size 14 casual men's footwear, Excellent condition
- Men High top Stripes Floral Genuine Leather Board Street Leisure Sneakers Shoes
- Sperry Top-Sider Men's Striper II LTT Leather Sneaker, White, 11 Medium US
- PUMA 19054302 Womens Fierce Lasercut Wn Sneaker- Choose SZ/Color.
[Editor’s Note: In Part I of this series, Dr. Nick Marsella addressed the duty we have to examine our assumptions about emergent warfighting technologies / capabilities and their associated implications to identify potential second / third order and “evil” effects. Nike Kyrie 4 Mens 943806-401 Dark Obsidian Irving Basketball Shoes Size 7.5Nike Air Shake Ndestrukt Dennis Rodman White Red Black 880869 100 Msrp $140 AC In today’s post, he prescribes five actions we can embrace both individually and as organizations to avoid confirmation bias and falling into cognitive thinking traps when confronting the ramifications of emergent technologies — Enjoy!]
In part I of my blog post, I advised those advocating for the development and/or fielding of technology to be mindful of the second/third order and possible “evil” effects. I defined “evil” as an unexpected and profound negative implication(s) of the adoption/adaption of a technology and related policy. I also recommended heeding the admonition of Tim Cook, Apple’s CEO, to take responsibility for our technological creations and have the courage to think things through their potential implications – both for the good and the bad.
But even if we as individuals are willing to challenge our assumptions and think broadly and imaginatively, we can still come up short. Why? The answer is due in part to the challenges of prediction and the fact we are human with both great cognitive abilities, but also weaknesses.
First, common sense and many theorists remind us that the future is unknowable.Nike Vapor Speed Turf CF 10 College Navy Blue Football Trainer Shoes 848334-441MEN'S NIKE AIR ZOOM VOMERO 11 RUNNING 818099 002 SIZE 7.5~13The futurist Arthur C. Clark noted in 1962, “It is impossible to predict the future, and all attempts to do in any detail appear ludicrous within a very few years.” Within this fixed condition of unknowing, the U.S. Departments of Defense and the Army must make choices to determine:
– what capabilities we desire and its related technology;
– where to invest in research and development; and
As Michael E. Raynor pointed out in his book, New Nike Air Max 95 SL Original Silver Red Japan Rare Vapormax 2018 Running Sz 9, making choices and developing strategies, which include adopting new technology, where the future is unknowable and “deeply unpredictable” either produces monumental successes or monumental failures.Nike Men Air Huarache Run QS “New York City” Size 8 Black White Black AJ5578 001Nike Lupinek Flyknit Low Color CargoKhaki/Vert Mica Size 14 For a company this can spell financial ruin, while for the Army, it can spell disaster and the loss of Soldiers’ lives and national treasure. Yet, we must also choose a “way ahead” – often by considering “boundaries” – in a sense the left and right limits – of potential implications.
Second, our ability to predict when technology will become available is often in error nor can we accurately determine its implications. For example, in a New York Times editorial on December 8, 1903, it noted: “A man carrying airplane will eventually be built, Nike Air Max BW OG Size 7 Black Persian Violet Purple Men's Shoes 820344-051Nike Air Jordan Spiz'ike Neutral Grey/Maize-Shadow Bordeaux 315371-070 SZ 10.5but only if mathematicians and engineers work steadily for the next ten million years.”5 The Wright Brothers first flight took place the following week, but it took decades for commercial and military aviation to evolve.
Each of the services has faced force modernization challenges due to the adoption of technologies that weren’t mature enough; whose capabilities were over-promised; or did not support operations in the envisioned Operational Environment. For the U.S. Army, Future Combat Systems (FCS) was the most obvious and recent example of this challenge – costing billions of dollars and, just as importantly, lost time and confidence.NWOB NIKE KOTH ULTRA LOW [749486 333] Men's Size 14 Running ShoesNike Air Max Flair Men's Men's Running Training Shoes Olive Black 942236-201
Third, in terms of future technology, predictions vary widely. For example, predictions by MIT’s Rodney Brooks and futurist/inventor Ray Kurzweil vary widely to the question – “What year do you think human-level Artificial Intelligence [AI, i.e., a true thinking machine] might be achieved with a 50% probability?” Kurzweil predicts AI (as defined) will be available in 2029, while Brooks is a bit more conservative – the year 2200 – a difference of over 170 years.Nike Zoom All Out Low Running Shoes Dark Grey Black Bright Crimson White Size 10NEW NIKE AIR MAX 2 II UPTEMPO QS 919831-001 BLACK PACK BLACK WHITE SZ 10
While one can understand the difficulty of predicting when “general AI” will be available, other technologies offer similar difficulties. The vision of the “self-driving” autonomous vehicle was first written about and experimented with in the 1920s, yet technological limitations, legal concerns, customer fears, and other barriers make implementing this capability challenging.
Lastly, as Rodney Brooks has highlighted, Nike Air Dunk Low PRM Viotec Size 7y What The 802344 500 Jordan I maintains:
“we tend to overestimate the effect of a technology in the short run and underestimate the effect in the long run.”Mens Nike KOBE XI Basketball Shoes "Draft Day" Hornets -836183 154 -Sz 10.5 -New
SECOND, THIRD ORDER AND EVIL EFFECTS
I contend that we either:NIKE AIR BASE 2 VINTAGE NWB MENS SZ 11EUC Classic Nike Air Max Butane 673238 101 Size 12
– intentionally focus on the positive effects of adopting a technology;
– ignore the experts and those who identify the potential downside of technology; and
– fail to think thorough the short, long, and potentially dangerous effects or dependencies – imaginatively.
We do this because we are human, and more often because we fall into the confirmation bias or other cognitive thinking traps that might affect our program or pet technology. As noted by RAND in Truth Decay:Mens Nike Flyknit Trainer Size 10.5 (AH8396 300) No BoxNIB MENS NIKE CURRENT SLIP ON BLACK WHITE ATHLETIC RUNNING CASUAL COMFORT SHOES
“Cognitive biases and the ways in which human beings process information and make decisions cause people to look for information, opinion, and analyses that confirm preexisting beliefs, to weigh experience more heavily than data and facts, and then to rely on mental shortcuts and the beliefs of those in the same social networks when forming opinions and making decisions.”9
Yet, the warning signs or signals for many unanticipated effects can be found simply by conducting a literature review of government, think tank, academic, and popular reports (to perhaps include science fiction). This may deter some, given the sheer volume of literature is often overwhelming, but contained within these reports are many of the challenges associated with future technology, such as: the potential for deep fakes, loss of privacy, hacking,New Nike Superfly Elite Racing Spike Shoes Sprint Running Black-White 835996-017Nike Air Huarache Run Premium Black/Moss-Red Men's Running Shoes 704830-010 accidents, deception, and loss of industries/jobs.
At the national level, both the current and previous administrations published reports on AI, as has the Department of Defense – some more balanced in addressing of issues of fairness, safety, governance, and ethics.10
For example, using photo recognition to help law enforcement and others seems like a great idea, yet its use is increasingly being questioned. This past May, San Francisco became the first city to ban its use, and others may follow suit.11 While some question this decision to ban vice impose a moratorium until the technology produces less errors, the question remains – did the developers and policy makers consider if there would be push back to its introduction given its current performance?Nike Komyuter SE KMTR Birch Black Brown Orange Yellow AA0531-200 Men's Sz 10 NEWNike Zoom Lebron Athletic Akron Shoes 921084-051 For Men New What sources did they consult?
Another challenge is language. You’ve seen the commercials – “there is much we can do with AI” – in farming, business, and even beer making. While “AI” is a clever tag line, it may invoke unnecessary fear and misunderstanding. For example, I believe for most people equate “robotics” and “AI” with the “Terminator” franchise, raising the fear of uncontrolled autonomous military force overwhelming humanity. Even worse – under the moniker of “AI,” we will buy into “snake-oil” propositions.
We are at least decades away from “general AI” where a “system exhibits apparently intelligence behavior at least as advanced as a person” across the “full range of cognitive tasks,” but we continue to flaunt the use of “AI” without elaboration.Nike SB Blazer Premium SE Black/Base Grey/White Mens Size 9.5 [631042-003]Men's Nike Cortez Ultra Shoes Black White Volt Size 10.5 833142 002 NIB
SOME ACTIONS TO TAKE
Embrace a learning organization. Popularized by Peter Senge’s The Fifth Discipline: The Art and Practice of the Learning Organization (1990), a learning organization is a place “where people continually expand their capacity to create the results they truly desire, where new and expansive patterns of thinking are nurtured, where collective aspiration is set free, and where people are continually learning how to learn together.”Nike Flyknit Racer Neo Turquoise Crimson Ice SZ 11.5 (526628-404) While some question whether we can truly make a learning organization, Senge’s thinking may help solve our problem of identifying 2nd/3rd order and evil effects.
First, we must embrace new and expansive patterns of thinking. Force developers use the acronym – “DOTMPLF-P” as shorthand for Doctrine, Organization, Training, Materiel, Personnel, Leadership, Facilities, and Policy implications – yet other factors might be as important.
For example, trust in automated or robotics systems must be instilled and measured. In one poll, 73% of respondents noted they would be afraid of riding in a fully autonomous vehicle – up 10% points from the previous year.14 What if we develop a military autonomous vehicle or a leader-follower system and one or more of our host nation allies prohibits its use? What happens if an accident occurs and the host population protests, nike air trainer 1 camo men’s size 6.5Men's Vintage Distressed 86 Nike Orange Swoosh Basketball Shoes size 13 (g236)arguing that the Americans don’t care for their safety?
Technologists and concept developers must move from being stove-piped in labs and single-focused to consider the broader view of technological implications across functions.
Embrace Humility. Given that we cannot predict the future and its potential consequences, developers must seek out diversified opinions, and more importantly, recognize divergent opinions.
Embrace the Data. In New York City during World War II, a small organization of some of the most brilliant minds in America worked in the office of the “Applied Mathematics Panel.” In Europe, the 8th U.S. Air Force suffered from devastating bomber losses. NIKE SB ZOOM BLAZER MID DECON SUMMIT WHITE SIZE 9.5 NEW WITH BOXNike MercurialX Proximo II DF IC - CHOOSE SIZE 831976-010 Grey White Blue BlackLeaders wondered where best to reinforce the bombers with additional armor without significantly increasing their weight to improve survivability. Reports indicated returning bombers suffered gunfire hits over the wings and fuselage, but not in the tail or cockpits, so to the casual observer it made sense to reinforce the wings and fuselage where the damage was clearly visible.
Abraham Wald, a mathematician, worked on the problem. He noted that reinforcing the spots where damage was evident in returning aircraft wasn’t necessarily the best course of action, given that hits to the cockpit and tail were probably causing aircraft (and aircrew) losses during the mission. In a series of memorandums, he developed a “method of estimating plane vulnerability based on damage of survivors.” As Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s Sherlock Holmes noted more than 100 years ago, “It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”Nike Air Max Light 2014 Release - US Men Size 9 - Supreme - Off WhiteNike Air Max Modern Flyknit Mens 876066-002 Black White Running Shoes Size 10.5
Additionally, we need to reinforce our practice of performing quality literature reviews to aid in our identification of these issues.
Employ Skepticism and a Devil’s Advocate Approach. In 1587, the Roman Catholic Church created the position of Promoter of the Faith – commonly referred to as the Devil’s Advocate. To insure a candidate for sainthood met the qualification of being canonized, the role of the Devil’s Advocate was to be the skeptic (loyal to the institution), looking for reasons why not to canonize the individual. Similarly, Leaders must embrace the concept of employing a devil’s advocate approach to identifying 2nd/3rd order and evil effects of technology – if not designating a devil’s advocate with the right expertise to identify assumptions, risks, and effects. But creating any devil’s advocate or “risk identification” positions is only useful if their input is seriously considered.
Embrace the Suck. Lastly, if we are serious in identifying the 2nd/3rd order and evil effects, 27 New Nike Zoom Victory 3 Running Shoes Rio OC 835997-999 Track Mens Sz 6-12[865306-001] NIKE AIR FORCE 1 ULTRAFORCE FC QS BLACK WHITE Sz 9.5 NO BOX TOPto include identifying new dependencies, ethical issues, or other issues which challenge the adaption or development of a new technology or policy – then we must be honest, resilient, and tough. There will be setbacks, delays, and frustration.
Technology holds the power to improve and change our personal and professional lives. For the military, technology changes the ways wars are fought (i.e., the character of war), but it may also change the nature of war by potentially reducing the “human dimension” in war. If robotics, AI, and other technological developments eliminate “danger, physical exertion, intelligence and friction,”17 is war easier to wage? Will technology increase its potential frequency? Will technology create a further separation between the military and the population by decreasing the number of personnel needed? These may be some of the 2nd/3rd order and “evil” effects we need to consider.
If you enjoyed this post, please see Dr. Marsella’s previous post “Second/Third Order, and Evil Effects” – The Dark Side of Technology (Mens Nike Force 1 ´07 315122 067 dark grey men's Size 11.5)
– NIKE SB STEFAN JANOSKI MAX SZ 8 BLACK ANTHRACITE 631303 007, by Dr. Nir Buras