- New Merrell J10047 8 M black waterproof sueded leather (1340)
- Converse Chuck Taylor All Star Canvas Woven Black White Mens Trainers 151240C
- JENNIFER LOPEZ JAYNE Tan Faux Suede/Fur Shearling Boot Size 8 Beautiful
- Disney Store Women’s Size 10 Black White Minnie Mouse Rain Boots Shoes
- New Women Farenheit Murray-06 Velvet Over the Knee Pointy Toe Block Heel Boot
- LifeStride Women's Parigi Ankle Bootie Black 7.5 W US
- A35 Adisonn Side Zip Ankle Boots 819, Black, 5.5 US
- New FRYE Norfolk Moc Cognac Leather Casual Boat Shoes Men's Size 8 M $178*
- Mr/Ms Diesel Men's Sneakers shoes, Size 39 Packaging diversity Pleasant appearance unique
- LL Bean Original Handsewn Moccasins / Boat Shoe Brown Size 6.5M - New 2914
- Man's/Woman's Chaco Sandals Mens 10 Z2 Moderate price discount price Rich on-time delivery
- Skechers Mens Go Walk 3 Black Walking Shoes Size 8.5 (429824)
- UNDER ARMOUR Baseball Football Cleats Black White Man Made Uppers Mens 9.5 USA
- Code West Brown Crazy Slouch Western Cowboy Boots Men's Size 8 D
- Wolverine Boots Men's Black and Grey Lightning SX EPX Carbonmax Size 13 M
- Ozark trail low top Hiking Boots size 8
- Workwears Gear 6-Inch Men XS Lightweight Patchable Black Rubber Overshoe Boots
- Polo Ralph Lauren WP- Delton -Bo Men’s Sz 10 Leather Boot
- TSC Men's Rubber Boots - Size 12 - Green - Heavy Duty - Work Chore - Slip On 16"
- Skechers for Work Men's 76759 Soft Stride Galley Work Boot Black 12 D(M) US
- Men's/Women's ECCO Men's Cairo Perforation Tie Oxford Not so expensive comfortability Various latest designs
- ADIDAS CRAZY EXPLOSIVE LOW BASKETBALL SHOES WHITE RED RARE NEW BY3234 (SIZE 13)
- Christian Louboutin Black/Golden Anjalina Spike Pumps Size US 7 Regular (M, B)
- Miu Miu Black Suede with Pearly Buckle Boots/Booties Size EU 37 (Approx. US 7) Regular (M, B)
- Cole Haan Elsie Logo (Cap Toe) Wedges Size US 6.5 Regular (M, B)
- Barkley Posite Max Suns Area Purple Orange
- Nike Huarache V Lacrosse Mens 16 Lax Cleats White Orange 807142-161
- ADIDAS ORIGINALS SUPERSTAR SFT SUEDE WOMEN'S RUNNING SHOE CG3353 US3.5-6.5 12'
- NIKE WOMAN SPORTS SNEAKER SHOES CASUAL FREE TIME CODE 724979 WMNS NIKE JUVENATE
- NIB-$110 Nike Zoom Air Strong Women's Training Shoe Sz. 10
- Men's/Women's Tamaris 1-22458-21 Women Black Suede Shoe Fine workmanship Elegant and sturdy packaging Known for its beautiful quality
- Nike Free RN Flyknit Men's Running Shoe 831069 800 Size 11.5
- NIKE Air Max Modern Essential Mens Running Trainers 844874 Sneakers Shoes
- DELIGHT-1018FNSTAR 6" SEXY FISHNET STAR PATTERN POLE DANCE PLATFORM ANKLE BOOT
- Madden Girl Women's Kloo Engineer Boot - Choose SZ/Color
- Brinley Co Womens Lena Pointed Toe Ballet Flats
- AETREX Womens Comfortable Black Leather Mary Jane Shoes Size 7 M
- Repetto Paris black patent leather ballet flats w/bow France NEW Size Sz 7.5
- Klogs Mission - Leather Clog - Many Colors Black Tooled - 8.5 Medium
- Dansko Womens Professional Patent Leather Clog - Copper Leaf | US 6.5-7
- Cole Haan ZeroGrand Shearling SZ 5.5 Womens Waterproof Chukka Boots Black Suede
- New SUPERGA 2730 Cotrope - Rose Mahogany
- Nike Jordan 1 Flight 5 Premium GS BG Black University Blue Nubuck Leather
- GOSHA RUBCHINSKIY Shoes 612069 Red 25ｃｍ
- **Crocs Mercy Work Clogs, Women's Size 11, White
- Gentlemen/Ladies Nautilus Women's N4621 Brown Slip-Resistant (Non-Skid) use modern Preferred boutique
- Daniele Alessandrini Shoes Sneaker -40% Made Italy Man Brown F7156KL4513621-32
- Dr. Doc Martens 8053 Brown Gaucho Plain Toe 5 Eye Casual England Oxford Men US 9
- Men's Loafers Leather Slip On Casual Shoes Low Heel Skateboard Shoes Hot Sboxs14
- Mens Office Dress Loafers Leather Slip Resistant Work Solid Casual ComfortShoes
- Florsheim Men's Surface Penny Loafer - Choose SZ/Color
- Womens Ladies Mid High Block Heel Chelsea Casual Ankle Boots Shoes Size
- BCBG Generation Delaney Stilettos Booties Black Suede Women’s Size 7 B
- LifeStride Women's Punch Ankle Boot, Navy, Size 5.5
- Indigo Rd. Womens Custom Closed Toe Knee High Fashion Boots Black Size 7.5 hc8
- LL BEAN DUCK BOOTS Womens Size 7 N Brown Leather & Rubber Ankle Rain Made in USA
- SPRING STEP CLINTON-B - Clinton Size: - Color:
- DS NIKE 2012 AIR MAX 90 EM OG INFRARED 11.5 ATMOS SAFARI LEOPARD VINTAGE 1 95
- Emporio Armani Sneaker Sz. 42,5 Leather Man Blue X4X180XL183-A138 MAKE OFFER
- Imran Khan Style Peshawar pure leather Sandal from Pakistan
- Cole Haan Womens Mackenziesam Closed Toe Taupe/Pink/Snake Size 6.0
- Vans C&L ERA 59 Men's Maroon/Brown Shoe 12M
- New Reebok 18-155716 Vero FL MR9 Mid II Baseball Shoes Cleats Black Mens 7.5
- Vintage RIOS OF MERCEDES Ranch Cowboy Ostrich Leather Boots Mens 9B Worn
- Baffin Mens Hunter-M Green Rainboots Size 9 (272994)
- Carhartt CMW8200 Bison Waterproof Steel Toe Oil Tanned Work Boot Wide Sz 8W 198
- Rockport Mens Gray Hiking Boots Size 9 (E, W) (417290)
- Christian Louboutin Pink Follie Draperia Tulle Patent Shocking Stiletto Pumps Size EU 38.5 (Approx. US 8.5) Regular (M, B)
- Christian Louboutin Black X Blue Patent Strass Louis High Top Sneaker 8clb1222 Sneakers Size EU 43 (Approx. US 13) Regular (M, B)
- Acne Studios Black Topaz Knee High Boots/Booties Size US 6 Regular (M, B)
- Nike Air Jordan 1 Flight 5 Men's Basketball Shoes, 881433 002 Size 13 NEW
- Nike Zoom JA Fly 3 OC Rio Track Shoes Men's Sz 13 Volt Pink 882032-999 Spikes
- Adidas Top Ten Hi W Casual Women's Shoes Size
- Mens Cognac Crocodile Alligator Tail Leather Design Square Toe Cowboy Boots
- SUPRA S18253 SKYTOP Mn's (M) Olive/White Ballistic/Canvas Hi Top SkateShoes
- Skechers Work 77055 Cankton Athletic Steel Toe Sneaker - Choose SZ/Color
- Rocky 6075 Mens Black Composite Toe Waterproof Athletic Trailblade Work Shoe
- Women’s Pumas Size 7 Iced Blue SoftFoam NEW
- nike W SF AF1 Special Force Air Force 1 Mid GREY GUM US WOMENS SIZES AA3966-005
- Reebok Zignano Fly 2 Womens Running Shoes Size 9 Silver Purple
- Womens Rivet Pointed Toe Over Knee Riding Boots Med Chunky Heels Stud Shoes F761
- Nike Air Jordan Son of Mars Hornets 2014 Multi White Men 10.5 Athletic Hip EUC
- NIKE JORDAN IV 4 RETRO MCS BLACK SZ 14 BASEBALL/FOOTBALL CLEATS [807709-010]
- Womens sequins Split Toe Leather Mid-Calf Boots Punk Block High Heels shoes New
- Franco Sarto Women's Arielle Ankle Bootie, Desert Khaki, 10 M US
- Clarks Womens Maypearl Edie Ankle Bootie- Pick SZ/Color.
- Women's Flat Oxford Low Wedge Heel Mary Janes Bow Lita Girls Candy Pump Shoes
- JOSEF SEIBEL Black Leather Mary Janes with 2" Heel - Womens size 9/42 EUC
- Gentlemen/Ladies Amalfi by Rangoni Women's ermanno Flat Various goods new Maintenance capability
- Steven By Steve Madden Lanci Women's Black Suede Pull On Sneaker Sz 11M 1276
[Editor’s Note: In Part I of this series, Dr. Nick Marsella addressed the duty we have to examine our assumptions about emergent warfighting technologies / capabilities and their associated implications to identify potential second / third order and “evil” effects. Men's/Women's CATERPILLAR WOMENS ALORA WATERPROOF TATER P309130 Economical and practical Various types and styles high quality productFranco Sarto Kerri Tall Block Heel Boots 324, Mushroom, 9.5 US / 39.5 EU In today’s post, he prescribes five actions we can embrace both individually and as organizations to avoid confirmation bias and falling into cognitive thinking traps when confronting the ramifications of emergent technologies — Enjoy!]
In part I of my blog post, I advised those advocating for the development and/or fielding of technology to be mindful of the second/third order and possible “evil” effects. I defined “evil” as an unexpected and profound negative implication(s) of the adoption/adaption of a technology and related policy. I also recommended heeding the admonition of Tim Cook, Apple’s CEO, to take responsibility for our technological creations and have the courage to think things through their potential implications – both for the good and the bad.
But even if we as individuals are willing to challenge our assumptions and think broadly and imaginatively, we can still come up short. Why? The answer is due in part to the challenges of prediction and the fact we are human with both great cognitive abilities, but also weaknesses.
First, common sense and many theorists remind us that the future is unknowable.NEW Vince Camuto Sashe Rust Suede Tall Boots size 10Tory Burch Black Suede Heeled Buckle Booties Size 8 MThe futurist Arthur C. Clark noted in 1962, “It is impossible to predict the future, and all attempts to do in any detail appear ludicrous within a very few years.” Within this fixed condition of unknowing, the U.S. Departments of Defense and the Army must make choices to determine:
– what capabilities we desire and its related technology;
– where to invest in research and development; and
As Michael E. Raynor pointed out in his book, Women's Chaco Mara WP leather tall boot brown harness calf zip up sz 6.5 M, making choices and developing strategies, which include adopting new technology, where the future is unknowable and “deeply unpredictable” either produces monumental successes or monumental failures.Man's/Woman's Alegria Nan-901 Black Boot sz.37 fashion Comfortable touch VariousSteve Madden Lauuren Boots - Women's Size 7.5 M, Brown For a company this can spell financial ruin, while for the Army, it can spell disaster and the loss of Soldiers’ lives and national treasure. Yet, we must also choose a “way ahead” – often by considering “boundaries” – in a sense the left and right limits – of potential implications.
Second, our ability to predict when technology will become available is often in error nor can we accurately determine its implications. For example, in a New York Times editorial on December 8, 1903, it noted: “A man carrying airplane will eventually be built, Vintage Frye Womens Boots Tall Brown Campus Braided 8549 Hippie Boho 70's Sz 7 BTory Burch Powder Suede Wade Ankle Boots In Metallic Gold Size 8 Vgucbut only if mathematicians and engineers work steadily for the next ten million years.”5 The Wright Brothers first flight took place the following week, but it took decades for commercial and military aviation to evolve.
Each of the services has faced force modernization challenges due to the adoption of technologies that weren’t mature enough; whose capabilities were over-promised; or did not support operations in the envisioned Operational Environment. For the U.S. Army, Future Combat Systems (FCS) was the most obvious and recent example of this challenge – costing billions of dollars and, just as importantly, lost time and confidence.Latitude Femme Italy Womens Sz 37 Knee High Leather Color Block High Heel BootsBorn Black Leather Ankle Buckle Strap Knee High Heel Side Zip Boots Women Sz 7.5
Third, in terms of future technology, predictions vary widely. For example, predictions by MIT’s Rodney Brooks and futurist/inventor Ray Kurzweil vary widely to the question – “What year do you think human-level Artificial Intelligence [AI, i.e., a true thinking machine] might be achieved with a 50% probability?” Kurzweil predicts AI (as defined) will be available in 2029, while Brooks is a bit more conservative – the year 2200 – a difference of over 170 years.VIA SPIGA Over the Knee Black Leather Boots Inner Zipper Size 9 M VgucNEW WHITE MOUNTAIN TIFTON SHORT COMBAT BOOTS TOBACCO sz 8.5 US
While one can understand the difficulty of predicting when “general AI” will be available, other technologies offer similar difficulties. The vision of the “self-driving” autonomous vehicle was first written about and experimented with in the 1920s, yet technological limitations, legal concerns, customer fears, and other barriers make implementing this capability challenging.
Lastly, as Rodney Brooks has highlighted, Bare Traps Woman’s Salvador Gray Buckle, Comfort Boots Size 8M WC NEW maintains:
“we tend to overestimate the effect of a technology in the short run and underestimate the effect in the long run.”Vince Camuto Fianna Black Verona Suede Tassel Ankle Bootie Size 9.5 M
SECOND, THIRD ORDER AND EVIL EFFECTS
– intentionally focus on the positive effects of adopting a technology;
– ignore the experts and those who identify the potential downside of technology; and
– fail to think thorough the short, long, and potentially dangerous effects or dependencies – imaginatively.
We do this because we are human, and more often because we fall into the confirmation bias or other cognitive thinking traps that might affect our program or pet technology. As noted by RAND in Truth Decay:Patent Leather Boutique Nordstrom Mayne Boot Sz 9Journee Collection Paris Women Grey WC- Knee High Boot, Size: 9M
“Cognitive biases and the ways in which human beings process information and make decisions cause people to look for information, opinion, and analyses that confirm preexisting beliefs, to weigh experience more heavily than data and facts, and then to rely on mental shortcuts and the beliefs of those in the same social networks when forming opinions and making decisions.”9
Yet, the warning signs or signals for many unanticipated effects can be found simply by conducting a literature review of government, think tank, academic, and popular reports (to perhaps include science fiction). This may deter some, given the sheer volume of literature is often overwhelming, but contained within these reports are many of the challenges associated with future technology, such as: the potential for deep fakes, loss of privacy, hacking,Kenneth Cole Reaction Water Fall Round Toe Knee High Boot Size 11 LR00684Gentlemen/Ladies Women's 7.5 Journee Collection Irene-1 Boots service Let our goods go to the world A balance between toughness and hardness accidents, deception, and loss of industries/jobs.
At the national level, both the current and previous administrations published reports on AI, as has the Department of Defense – some more balanced in addressing of issues of fairness, safety, governance, and ethics.10
For example, using photo recognition to help law enforcement and others seems like a great idea, yet its use is increasingly being questioned. This past May, San Francisco became the first city to ban its use, and others may follow suit.11 While some question this decision to ban vice impose a moratorium until the technology produces less errors, the question remains – did the developers and policy makers consider if there would be push back to its introduction given its current performance?A35 Biliee Riding Boots 049, Cognac, 7.5 USWomens RALPH LAUREN Size US 9 B Knee High Black Leather Boots What sources did they consult?
Another challenge is language. You’ve seen the commercials – “there is much we can do with AI” – in farming, business, and even beer making. While “AI” is a clever tag line, it may invoke unnecessary fear and misunderstanding. For example, I believe for most people equate “robotics” and “AI” with the “Terminator” franchise, raising the fear of uncontrolled autonomous military force overwhelming humanity. Even worse – under the moniker of “AI,” we will buy into “snake-oil” propositions.
We are at least decades away from “general AI” where a “system exhibits apparently intelligence behavior at least as advanced as a person” across the “full range of cognitive tasks,” but we continue to flaunt the use of “AI” without elaboration.Marc Fisher ‘Hulie’ Navy Blue Suede Over The Knee Boots Women's Size 7.5 MCoconuts Faulkner Black Leather Riding Boots Women's size 6 1/2M Brazil
SOME ACTIONS TO TAKE
Embrace a learning organization. Popularized by Peter Senge’s The Fifth Discipline: The Art and Practice of the Learning Organization (1990), a learning organization is a place “where people continually expand their capacity to create the results they truly desire, where new and expansive patterns of thinking are nurtured, where collective aspiration is set free, and where people are continually learning how to learn together.”Gogo 3000 White Pat OTK Stretch zip up Boot 3" Block Heel Size 15 Shoe While some question whether we can truly make a learning organization, Senge’s thinking may help solve our problem of identifying 2nd/3rd order and evil effects.
First, we must embrace new and expansive patterns of thinking. Force developers use the acronym – “DOTMPLF-P” as shorthand for Doctrine, Organization, Training, Materiel, Personnel, Leadership, Facilities, and Policy implications – yet other factors might be as important.
For example, trust in automated or robotics systems must be instilled and measured. In one poll, 73% of respondents noted they would be afraid of riding in a fully autonomous vehicle – up 10% points from the previous year.14 What if we develop a military autonomous vehicle or a leader-follower system and one or more of our host nation allies prohibits its use? What happens if an accident occurs and the host population protests, I35 Fabbaa Wide Calf Knee High Riding Boots, Dark Chocolate, 7 US DisplayGuess Brown Leather Western Ankle Boots Women's Size 10arguing that the Americans don’t care for their safety?
Technologists and concept developers must move from being stove-piped in labs and single-focused to consider the broader view of technological implications across functions.
Embrace Humility. Given that we cannot predict the future and its potential consequences, developers must seek out diversified opinions, and more importantly, recognize divergent opinions.
Embrace the Data. In New York City during World War II, a small organization of some of the most brilliant minds in America worked in the office of the “Applied Mathematics Panel.” In Europe, the 8th U.S. Air Force suffered from devastating bomber losses. Kenneth Cole REACTION Very Clear Over-The-Knee Boots, Taupe, 9 US / 40EU DisplayWomen's Abilene Two Tone BEIGE Gray Leather Feather Stitch Cowboy Boots Sz.7.5 MLeaders wondered where best to reinforce the bombers with additional armor without significantly increasing their weight to improve survivability. Reports indicated returning bombers suffered gunfire hits over the wings and fuselage, but not in the tail or cockpits, so to the casual observer it made sense to reinforce the wings and fuselage where the damage was clearly visible.
Abraham Wald, a mathematician, worked on the problem. He noted that reinforcing the spots where damage was evident in returning aircraft wasn’t necessarily the best course of action, given that hits to the cockpit and tail were probably causing aircraft (and aircrew) losses during the mission. In a series of memorandums, he developed a “method of estimating plane vulnerability based on damage of survivors.” As Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s Sherlock Holmes noted more than 100 years ago, “It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”ABILENE WOMEN'S Distressed Brown LEATHER Cowboy/Western BOOTS Size 6 1/2 MNautica Lovise Mid-Calf Rainboots 217, Black/Navy, 7 US / 37 EU
Additionally, we need to reinforce our practice of performing quality literature reviews to aid in our identification of these issues.
Employ Skepticism and a Devil’s Advocate Approach. In 1587, the Roman Catholic Church created the position of Promoter of the Faith – commonly referred to as the Devil’s Advocate. To insure a candidate for sainthood met the qualification of being canonized, the role of the Devil’s Advocate was to be the skeptic (loyal to the institution), looking for reasons why not to canonize the individual. Similarly, Leaders must embrace the concept of employing a devil’s advocate approach to identifying 2nd/3rd order and evil effects of technology – if not designating a devil’s advocate with the right expertise to identify assumptions, risks, and effects. But creating any devil’s advocate or “risk identification” positions is only useful if their input is seriously considered.
Embrace the Suck. Lastly, if we are serious in identifying the 2nd/3rd order and evil effects, Brian Atwood Dita Crystal Boots Orig. $695Dune London Platter Black Leather Ankle Boots Women's Size 8 M $160*to include identifying new dependencies, ethical issues, or other issues which challenge the adaption or development of a new technology or policy – then we must be honest, resilient, and tough. There will be setbacks, delays, and frustration.
Technology holds the power to improve and change our personal and professional lives. For the military, technology changes the ways wars are fought (i.e., the character of war), but it may also change the nature of war by potentially reducing the “human dimension” in war. If robotics, AI, and other technological developments eliminate “danger, physical exertion, intelligence and friction,”17 is war easier to wage? Will technology increase its potential frequency? Will technology create a further separation between the military and the population by decreasing the number of personnel needed? These may be some of the 2nd/3rd order and “evil” effects we need to consider.
If you enjoyed this post, please see Dr. Marsella’s previous post “Second/Third Order, and Evil Effects” – The Dark Side of Technology (Steve Madden Brisk Stretch Ankle Booties 914, Metallic, 7.5 US)
– J.Renee Women's Paulina Knee-High Boot Leopard 6 M NEW $169 Suede & Animal Fur, by Dr. Nir Buras