- Hoka One One Vanquish Women's Running 7.5 B(M) US Plum-Fuchsia
- NIB DOLCE & GABBANA Black Leather Crystal Jeweled High Top Sneakers 40 EU
- WOMENS Clarks Artisan Shoes Ruthie Anna Leather Black 7 Narrow US Slip On
- Nike Men's Shoes SB Zoom Stefan Janoski Canvas Premium 705190-601 Men Sz. 9 Only
- Unisex Mens Steel Toe Safety Shoes womens Casual Sneakers Walking Work Trainers
- PROPET MEN'S M3910 VISTA WALKER OXFORD SHOES BLACK SMOOTH US SIZE 12 NARROW NEW
- Ted Baker Men's Suede TBM 1182 Moccasins Size 13
- Camper Mens asia Metallic Suede Sneaker Shoes Blue Brown Size 43 Euc
- Dingo Women's DI07321 10" Tan Distressed Fashion Boots w/ Strap - Size 8.5 M
- dennisa-3 Mid Calf Synthetic Zipper Low Heel Women's Casual Boots Cognac 8-
- Women Winter Fashion Ankle Boots Zipper Faux Suede high-heeled Booties Shoes
- Sexy White/Black Victorian Steampunk Halloween Can-Can Costume Calf High Boots
- Carlos by Carlos Santana Rumer Over the Knee Slouch Boots, Navy, 7 US / 37 EU
- Lacoste, 22SPM3070-024, STRABE LS USA SPM LEATHER BLK
- NEW adidas EQT Cushion ADV CQ2380 Mens Shoes Trainers Sneakers SALE
- men's shoes ALEXANDER 8,5 () elegant black leather BY449-41,5
- Bayton Men's Atlas Sandal, Blue, 44 Medium US
- Earth Juniper - Women's Slip-on Wedge Summer Shoe Navy - 6 Medium
- Men's Adidas Mad Handle Size 14 Sneakers Shoes Basketball Black Red White U15
- PUMA Mens Spirit Fg Black Soccer Cleats Size 10.5 (42149)
- Ozark Trail Rain Boots Size 8 Mens Green Waterproof Pull On Shoes Drawstring
- J CHISHOLM Handcrafted Two Tone Brown Leather Cap Toe Cowboy Boots Mens Size 8 D
- Man/Woman Chelsea boots bottines Special purchase Skilled manufacturing Very practical
- Belleville 390DES mens 8.5R US Tan Hot Weather Desert Combat Vibram sole Boots
- Mens Punk Rock Pointed Toe Zipper Ankle Boots Cosplay Rivets Combat Shoes 2018
- Valentino Black Rockstud Caged Flats Size EU 40 (Approx. US 10) Regular (M, B)
- Chloé Black Susannah Studded Leather Ankle Boots/Booties Size US 6 Regular (M, B)
- NUNN BUSH WESTERN BOOTS MEN'S light BROWN LEATHER SIZE 10.5 Leather Soled Spain
- Mens Lacoste Shoes WHITE Leather Canvas Mortain 3 Casual Sneakers NEW
- Christian Louboutin Alentejohn Beige Suede Espadrille Loafer Sneakers Shoes 39
- Gentleman/Lady: Jordan 11 Low Zen: Light Living
- Fendi Black F Mules/Slides Size EU 40 (Approx. US 10) Regular (M, B)
- New Nike Mens Air Zoom Pegasus 33 Running Shoes 831352-001 sz 7 black
- 2014 Nike Sonic Flight Miami Heat Payton 641333 002 Size 10.5 Read Ad
- Mens Nike Air Power Force White/Black/Yellow/Red Size 11 Sneakers (NO00123)
- NIKE Women's Free TR Focus Flyknit,Racer Blue SIZE 9.5
- NEW Women's Fashion Mid Calf Boots Zip Synthetic High Block Heels Casuals Shoes
- NOCONA Red Leather Cowboy Boots Womens Size 5 C Style 7510 USA
- NIKE Men's Free Trainer 3.0 V4 Training Shoe
- Nike Men Classic Cortez Nylon "Los Primeros" INK Sneakers Purple AH7741-500 Sz 9
- Marc Fisher Cahoot2 Pointed Toe Turned Out Ankle Boots, Black
- Womens Hunter Wellington Boots Original Tall Rain Snow Wellies Ladies US 5-10
- Stuart Weitzman Boots Women Over The Knee Metallic Bronze Leather Size 8 M Spain
- Gentlemen/Ladies Bordello Women's Teeze 37 Consumer first Order welcome best seller
- ECCO Womens TouchBallerina 2.0 Ballet Flat- Pick SZ/Color.
- Aerosoles Womens Fun Town Fashion Sneaker- Pick SZ/Color.
- Men's/Women's Tory Burch shoes New varieties are launched Latest styles Exquisite (processing) processing
- Vivienne Westwood Anglomania + Melissa Lady Dragon XV '18 Pin and Pearl Vegan
- Sam Edelman Women's Ganesa Sandal Molten Gold Metallic Leather
- Women's Nike Air Zoom Strong AMP Floral Training Shoes [AA3590 001] Size 6
- WMNS ADIDAS ORIGINALS DEERUPT BLK/CHALK PINK CASUAL SHOES WMN'S SELECT YOUR SIZE
- Dansko - 42 - White - Clogs - Professional - Nursing Shoes
- VINTAGE UNIQUE WOMENS COWBOY EMBOSSED BEADED 100% LEATHER BOOTS SIZE 7US 37EU
- A/X Armani Exchange Smart Watch + Bracelet Gift Set
- Johnston & Murphy Shuler Tan Men's Size 11 M
[Editor’s Note: In Part I of this series, Dr. Nick Marsella addressed the duty we have to examine our assumptions about emergent warfighting technologies / capabilities and their associated implications to identify potential second / third order and “evil” effects. Womens Casual Slip On Hidden Heels Comfort Flats Oxfords Canvas Sneakers ShoesJAMBU Mai Tai Womens Sz 7.5 Gray Suede Leather Casual Flat Shoes Criss Cross q5a In today’s post, he prescribes five actions we can embrace both individually and as organizations to avoid confirmation bias and falling into cognitive thinking traps when confronting the ramifications of emergent technologies — Enjoy!]
In part I of my blog post, I advised those advocating for the development and/or fielding of technology to be mindful of the second/third order and possible “evil” effects. I defined “evil” as an unexpected and profound negative implication(s) of the adoption/adaption of a technology and related policy. I also recommended heeding the admonition of Tim Cook, Apple’s CEO, to take responsibility for our technological creations and have the courage to think things through their potential implications – both for the good and the bad.
But even if we as individuals are willing to challenge our assumptions and think broadly and imaginatively, we can still come up short. Why? The answer is due in part to the challenges of prediction and the fact we are human with both great cognitive abilities, but also weaknesses.
First, common sense and many theorists remind us that the future is unknowable.New Bedroom Athletics Womens Pink Ballet Flats Size 6Womens Embroidered Flower Nature Linen Loafers Slip On Flats Travel Boat ShoesThe futurist Arthur C. Clark noted in 1962, “It is impossible to predict the future, and all attempts to do in any detail appear ludicrous within a very few years.” Within this fixed condition of unknowing, the U.S. Departments of Defense and the Army must make choices to determine:
– what capabilities we desire and its related technology;
– where to invest in research and development; and
As Michael E. Raynor pointed out in his book, Me Too Womens Yellow Leather Flatts 6 M, making choices and developing strategies, which include adopting new technology, where the future is unknowable and “deeply unpredictable” either produces monumental successes or monumental failures.Womens Canvas Mesh Med Platform Creepers Pull On Slip Casual Muffins Shoes E532Women New Style Pointed Toe Horse Fur Flat Leopard L 7w eather Bownot Shoes Pump For a company this can spell financial ruin, while for the Army, it can spell disaster and the loss of Soldiers’ lives and national treasure. Yet, we must also choose a “way ahead” – often by considering “boundaries” – in a sense the left and right limits – of potential implications.
Second, our ability to predict when technology will become available is often in error nor can we accurately determine its implications. For example, in a New York Times editorial on December 8, 1903, it noted: “A man carrying airplane will eventually be built, Sperry Top-Sider Women's Slip On Leather Snake Imprinted Loafers Size 8.5 MBORN Brown Women's Leather Mary Jane Shoes - Size US 8/W6428but only if mathematicians and engineers work steadily for the next ten million years.”5 The Wright Brothers first flight took place the following week, but it took decades for commercial and military aviation to evolve.
Each of the services has faced force modernization challenges due to the adoption of technologies that weren’t mature enough; whose capabilities were over-promised; or did not support operations in the envisioned Operational Environment. For the U.S. Army, Future Combat Systems (FCS) was the most obvious and recent example of this challenge – costing billions of dollars and, just as importantly, lost time and confidence.Womens Ladies Belle Purple Floral Plaid Wedge Heel Flats Shoes Sz 7.5MG.H Bass Size 8 M Castoff Lt Blue Haze Leather Deck Casual Boat Shoe MSRP $95
Third, in terms of future technology, predictions vary widely. For example, predictions by MIT’s Rodney Brooks and futurist/inventor Ray Kurzweil vary widely to the question – “What year do you think human-level Artificial Intelligence [AI, i.e., a true thinking machine] might be achieved with a 50% probability?” Kurzweil predicts AI (as defined) will be available in 2029, while Brooks is a bit more conservative – the year 2200 – a difference of over 170 years.Stuart Weitzman Cia Brown Suede Leather Loafers Bit size 8 M Shoes HeelImpo Allspice Ballet Flats 691, Black Multi, 10 US
While one can understand the difficulty of predicting when “general AI” will be available, other technologies offer similar difficulties. The vision of the “self-driving” autonomous vehicle was first written about and experimented with in the 1920s, yet technological limitations, legal concerns, customer fears, and other barriers make implementing this capability challenging.
Lastly, as Rodney Brooks has highlighted, Plus Sz 35-43 Womens Round Toe Buckle Chunky Low Heels Mixed Color Casual Shoes maintains:
“we tend to overestimate the effect of a technology in the short run and underestimate the effect in the long run.”Donald J Pliner Womens Flats Loafers Size 6 M Red Orange Fabric (i4)
SECOND, THIRD ORDER AND EVIL EFFECTS
– intentionally focus on the positive effects of adopting a technology;
– ignore the experts and those who identify the potential downside of technology; and
– fail to think thorough the short, long, and potentially dangerous effects or dependencies – imaginatively.
We do this because we are human, and more often because we fall into the confirmation bias or other cognitive thinking traps that might affect our program or pet technology. As noted by RAND in Truth Decay:CLARKS ARTISIAN BROWN SHOES WOMENS 7.5 W STRAPS MARY JANES FREE SHIPCole Haan Manhattan Bow Shoes Tan and Blue Woven Ballet Flats Size Women’s 5B.
“Cognitive biases and the ways in which human beings process information and make decisions cause people to look for information, opinion, and analyses that confirm preexisting beliefs, to weigh experience more heavily than data and facts, and then to rely on mental shortcuts and the beliefs of those in the same social networks when forming opinions and making decisions.”9
Yet, the warning signs or signals for many unanticipated effects can be found simply by conducting a literature review of government, think tank, academic, and popular reports (to perhaps include science fiction). This may deter some, given the sheer volume of literature is often overwhelming, but contained within these reports are many of the challenges associated with future technology, such as: the potential for deep fakes, loss of privacy, hacking,Women's Walking Cradles Brown Leather Loafers Size 8 BEuroSoft Stella Flats Faux Leather Black Womens Size 7M / accidents, deception, and loss of industries/jobs.
At the national level, both the current and previous administrations published reports on AI, as has the Department of Defense – some more balanced in addressing of issues of fairness, safety, governance, and ethics.10
For example, using photo recognition to help law enforcement and others seems like a great idea, yet its use is increasingly being questioned. This past May, San Francisco became the first city to ban its use, and others may follow suit.11 While some question this decision to ban vice impose a moratorium until the technology produces less errors, the question remains – did the developers and policy makers consider if there would be push back to its introduction given its current performance?Report Signature "Harvey" Black Leather Oxford Flats Sz 7.5M EUC!Merrell Sz 7 Plaza Bandeau Women's Slip-on Mary Jane Leather Taupe Suade Size 7 What sources did they consult?
Another challenge is language. You’ve seen the commercials – “there is much we can do with AI” – in farming, business, and even beer making. While “AI” is a clever tag line, it may invoke unnecessary fear and misunderstanding. For example, I believe for most people equate “robotics” and “AI” with the “Terminator” franchise, raising the fear of uncontrolled autonomous military force overwhelming humanity. Even worse – under the moniker of “AI,” we will buy into “snake-oil” propositions.
We are at least decades away from “general AI” where a “system exhibits apparently intelligence behavior at least as advanced as a person” across the “full range of cognitive tasks,” but we continue to flaunt the use of “AI” without elaboration.SANUK Yoga Prima Purple Black Dot Suede Ballet Flats Shoes US 7/ NWTWomens SPERRY TOP SIDER STS95129 Black Casual Deck Boat 7M (X880)
SOME ACTIONS TO TAKE
Embrace a learning organization. Popularized by Peter Senge’s The Fifth Discipline: The Art and Practice of the Learning Organization (1990), a learning organization is a place “where people continually expand their capacity to create the results they truly desire, where new and expansive patterns of thinking are nurtured, where collective aspiration is set free, and where people are continually learning how to learn together.”ROCKET DOG HENNA WAVE FLATS WITH MULTI-COLOR TURQUOISE STRIPE WOMENS 9M NEW While some question whether we can truly make a learning organization, Senge’s thinking may help solve our problem of identifying 2nd/3rd order and evil effects.
First, we must embrace new and expansive patterns of thinking. Force developers use the acronym – “DOTMPLF-P” as shorthand for Doctrine, Organization, Training, Materiel, Personnel, Leadership, Facilities, and Policy implications – yet other factors might be as important.
For example, trust in automated or robotics systems must be instilled and measured. In one poll, 73% of respondents noted they would be afraid of riding in a fully autonomous vehicle – up 10% points from the previous year.14 What if we develop a military autonomous vehicle or a leader-follower system and one or more of our host nation allies prohibits its use? What happens if an accident occurs and the host population protests, Keen 53066 Womens 9M Black Mesh Slip on Casual Flats Comfort Shoes 80-14Lucky Womens Slip On Clog Size 8 Brown Suede Leather Buckle Mule Studarguing that the Americans don’t care for their safety?
Technologists and concept developers must move from being stove-piped in labs and single-focused to consider the broader view of technological implications across functions.
Embrace Humility. Given that we cannot predict the future and its potential consequences, developers must seek out diversified opinions, and more importantly, recognize divergent opinions.
Embrace the Data. In New York City during World War II, a small organization of some of the most brilliant minds in America worked in the office of the “Applied Mathematics Panel.” In Europe, the 8th U.S. Air Force suffered from devastating bomber losses. LifeStride Womens indeed Closed Toe Slide Flats, Stone, Size 8.5 VorIKEEN Womens Newporth2-W-W Poseidon/Capri Sport Sandals Size 6 (325662)Leaders wondered where best to reinforce the bombers with additional armor without significantly increasing their weight to improve survivability. Reports indicated returning bombers suffered gunfire hits over the wings and fuselage, but not in the tail or cockpits, so to the casual observer it made sense to reinforce the wings and fuselage where the damage was clearly visible.
Abraham Wald, a mathematician, worked on the problem. He noted that reinforcing the spots where damage was evident in returning aircraft wasn’t necessarily the best course of action, given that hits to the cockpit and tail were probably causing aircraft (and aircrew) losses during the mission. In a series of memorandums, he developed a “method of estimating plane vulnerability based on damage of survivors.” As Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s Sherlock Holmes noted more than 100 years ago, “It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”Style & Co. Womens Alysonn2 Closed Toe Slide Flats Coffee Size 10.0 7ISEVeowalk Handmade Flower Embroider Ballet Flats Shoes Chinese Embroidered Shoes
Additionally, we need to reinforce our practice of performing quality literature reviews to aid in our identification of these issues.
Employ Skepticism and a Devil’s Advocate Approach. In 1587, the Roman Catholic Church created the position of Promoter of the Faith – commonly referred to as the Devil’s Advocate. To insure a candidate for sainthood met the qualification of being canonized, the role of the Devil’s Advocate was to be the skeptic (loyal to the institution), looking for reasons why not to canonize the individual. Similarly, Leaders must embrace the concept of employing a devil’s advocate approach to identifying 2nd/3rd order and evil effects of technology – if not designating a devil’s advocate with the right expertise to identify assumptions, risks, and effects. But creating any devil’s advocate or “risk identification” positions is only useful if their input is seriously considered.
Embrace the Suck. Lastly, if we are serious in identifying the 2nd/3rd order and evil effects, Crocs Women's Laura Flat - Choose SZ/ColorEasy Spirit Womens yandra Closed Toe Ankle Strap Slide Flats, Black, Size 5.0 YHto include identifying new dependencies, ethical issues, or other issues which challenge the adaption or development of a new technology or policy – then we must be honest, resilient, and tough. There will be setbacks, delays, and frustration.
Technology holds the power to improve and change our personal and professional lives. For the military, technology changes the ways wars are fought (i.e., the character of war), but it may also change the nature of war by potentially reducing the “human dimension” in war. If robotics, AI, and other technological developments eliminate “danger, physical exertion, intelligence and friction,”17 is war easier to wage? Will technology increase its potential frequency? Will technology create a further separation between the military and the population by decreasing the number of personnel needed? These may be some of the 2nd/3rd order and “evil” effects we need to consider.
If you enjoyed this post, please see Dr. Marsella’s previous post “Second/Third Order, and Evil Effects” – The Dark Side of Technology (Fashion Leather Handmade Flower Loafers Soft Flat Womens Shoes Gift Mother Sbox1)
… as well as the following posts:Womens 9 M Adrienne Vittadini Charlann Ballet Flat Shoes Metallic Silver FlowersSkechers Womens 824 Black Flats Size 7.5 (5625)
– Womens Silk Embroidered Flowers Pumps Flats Ethnic Shoes Loafer Loafers Ladies, by Dr. Nir Buras