- Men/Women Joya, Delia US 8 Excellent craft Make full use of materials Maintenance capability
- NEW ROBERTO CAVALLI GREY CROCODILE PRINT LEATHER LOAFERS SHOES 43 - 10
- COZY FOOT - Womens, Mens 100% Pure Sheep Wool sheepskin size 3-11 Slippers Boots
- Mens Flat Leather Shoes Round toe Casual Driving Loafers Business Wedding Brogue
- Le Coq Sportif Milons 2 Tones (1411310) Shoes Men's Size 8.5 - 41 New
- 68% OFF NEW ASTON GREY Cole Wingtip Oxford Black Retail $195
- Steve Madden Torrent Short Rain Boots 619, Black, 8 US
- Tecnick Snow Winter Boots Blk Sz 9.5 Medium
- Skechers Bikers - Zippiest Chocolate Choc Womens Ankle Boot Size 7M
- Bernardo Women's Pansie Rain Boot Haute Red Rubber 7M US
- Bandolino Womens Lethia Leather Closed Toe Ankle Fashion Boots Black Size 6.0
- Mens Fiesso Orange Sneakers High Top Boots by Aurelio Garcia Sneakers FI2247
- Onitsuka Tiger ASICS Sneakers MEXICO 66 TH4J2L White Black US11.5(29cm)
- Mark McNairy New Amsterdam Desert Camo Chukka
- JOE N JOYCE Paris Synsoft - Black - Sandals
- Bruno Magli Leather Brown Shoes Size 8 B Ballet Low Heels Made In Italy
- Mens Outdoor Hiking Shoe Climbing Mountain Shoes casual Fashion comfort Sneaker
- Urban Classics Canvas Slipper Espadrille Women's Men Summer Camo Fabric Shoes
- alcalas western wear Zipper boots chicago mens 12E((C
- Rocky Boots Size 13R Army Combat Boot Coyote Brown Hot Weather New with Tags!
- HELLY HANSEN WORKWEAR Men's 8" Ultra Light ATCP Safe Work Boot Black/Orange 9.5M
- Men Casual Breathable High Top Pointed Toe Boots British Fashion PU Shoe Yoooca
- fashion womens rivet shiny leather high tops sneakers shoes casual hip hop shoes
- Dexter Duck Boots Waterproof Snow Winter Hunting Shoes Removable Liners mens 10
- Men's/Women's adidas Neo Men's Baseline Fashion Sneaker Moderate price Order welcome Popular recommendation
- Nike SB Dunk Low Premium Sz 6 FIRECRACKER July Hyperstrike Black Challenge Red
- Stuart Weitzman Hitest Thigh High Boots/Booties Size US 8 Regular (M, B)
- Frye Black Carmen Boots/Booties Size US 8.5 Regular (M, B)
- Stuart Weitzman Black Leather "Apron" Platform Sandals Mules
- Beautiful Condition. Includes Box. Free shipping with full price offer
- NIKE ROSHE RUN HYP BR 833125-400 MIDNIGHT NAVY WHITE DS SIZE: 8
- Man's/Woman's：PUMA Women's Enzo Mesh Wn Sneaker - Choose SZ/color： Modern And Elegant In Fashion
- adidas Originals Women's Stan Smith Tennis Sneakers
- Nike iD Womens Cortez Leather Premium Sail/Brown Size 9.5 or 8 Mens AO4694 992
- Skechers Performance Womens Go 4-Airy Walking Shoe- Pick SZ/Color.
- White Mountain Loveable Pleated Boot Brown Suede New with Box
- Nike Tiempox Genio II pelle Tf Scarpe Sportive 819216 103 da Calcio Campione
- Nike Metcon 3 Mens Crossfit Shoes Sz 11.5 Chlorine Blue Electro Lime 852928-401
- Ankle Snow Boots Cow Leather Pointy Toe High Slim Heel Stiletto Womens Shoes Sz
- Men/Women Charles David Chanta Boot Reasonable price In short supply Very good classification
- Kenetrek KE-L416-NI Women's Mountain Extreme Non-Insulated Hiking Hunting Boots~
- Womens Rhinestone Crystal Pointed Toe Fashion Pumps OL Flats Shoes @NEW4
- AGL Attilio Giusti Leombruni Toe Cap Ballet Flat Rouge US 8.5 Red
- Dolce Vita Azur Women US 8.5 Tan Loafer
- GEOX PIUMA BAL H - GOA.SUE BLACK ballets sale d34d8h
- FENDI US 7 shoes light brown red leather textile women ballet flats AV158
- A177 Nike Women's Flyknit Zoom All Out 845361-401 Shoes Racer Blue Sz 8.5 New
- Nike Air Huarache Run Womens 634835-408 Diffused Blue Running Shoes Size 8
- [BA8928] Womens Adidas Ultraboost 3.0 Ultra Boost Running Sneaker - Mystery Blue
- Dansko Clogs Womens Size 38 / US 7.5-8 Matte Black Leather
- Skechers Work Snow Creek Shoes -Steel Toe/Electrical Hazard -USW 9.5 - New
- Beams x Reebok Workout Lo Plus White Gold Met Navy Men Shoes Sneakers CN2176
- COLE HAAN Men's Shoes Burgundy Leahter Kiltie Tassel Slip On Loafer 10 D USA
- New Mens Sonoma Trenton Faux Suede Two-Tone Oxfords Size 11 Retail $70
- Men Pull On Loafers Leisure Flats Gommino Plus Size Fashion Driving Shoes New 18
- THE FRYE Company Beige Gray Suede Wingtip Oxfords Men's 9D Casual Shoe 19741
- Kelly & Katie Womens Balantina Round Toe Ankle Chelsea Boots Black Size 8.0 dt
- new lady Skintone/Gold Spike 3.5"Wedge Heel Round Toe Ankle Boots Strap Size 10
- Skechers Womens Plus 3 High & Mighty Comfortable Ankle Boots
- CELEBRITY STYLE Women's Pattern Leather Sheepskin Asymmetric Heels Boots Flats
- Bar III Womens Wade2 Leather Almond Toe Mid-Calf Cowboy Boots, Grey, Size 11.0
- ALDO Men's Yerilian Fashion Sneaker - Choose SZ/Color
- 2009 ADIDAS 7 Hole Kazuki Leather Black shoes Boot men's US 11 / 45+
- Men's SAO Brown Leather Strappy Sandals-Size 9M
- Selling Reef Sandals Flip Flops Men Size 13 Great Condition
- New Bruno Magli Pink Sandals US 7
[Editor’s Note: In Part I of this series, Dr. Nick Marsella addressed the duty we have to examine our assumptions about emergent warfighting technologies / capabilities and their associated implications to identify potential second / third order and “evil” effects. Gentlemen/Ladies CREEPER-402 elegant New style Cost-effectiveMens suede leather pointy toe slip on block low heel shoes flower wedding boots In today’s post, he prescribes five actions we can embrace both individually and as organizations to avoid confirmation bias and falling into cognitive thinking traps when confronting the ramifications of emergent technologies — Enjoy!]
In part I of my blog post, I advised those advocating for the development and/or fielding of technology to be mindful of the second/third order and possible “evil” effects. I defined “evil” as an unexpected and profound negative implication(s) of the adoption/adaption of a technology and related policy. I also recommended heeding the admonition of Tim Cook, Apple’s CEO, to take responsibility for our technological creations and have the courage to think things through their potential implications – both for the good and the bad.
But even if we as individuals are willing to challenge our assumptions and think broadly and imaginatively, we can still come up short. Why? The answer is due in part to the challenges of prediction and the fact we are human with both great cognitive abilities, but also weaknesses.
First, common sense and many theorists remind us that the future is unknowable.Rockport Mens Randle Mesh Slipon Oxford- Pick SZ/Color.Mens Converse X John Varvatos Taylor Vintage Slip Blue Size 5 Womens 7 150181CThe futurist Arthur C. Clark noted in 1962, “It is impossible to predict the future, and all attempts to do in any detail appear ludicrous within a very few years.” Within this fixed condition of unknowing, the U.S. Departments of Defense and the Army must make choices to determine:
– what capabilities we desire and its related technology;
– where to invest in research and development; and
As Michael E. Raynor pointed out in his book, Adidas Gazelle Mens Sneakers Black White Suede New in Box BB5476, making choices and developing strategies, which include adopting new technology, where the future is unknowable and “deeply unpredictable” either produces monumental successes or monumental failures.Worx by Red Wing Shoes Work Metatarsal Guard 5489-2 Leather Boots Size 8.5M sku1New Kenneth Cole New York Brand Tour Leather Men Shoes For a company this can spell financial ruin, while for the Army, it can spell disaster and the loss of Soldiers’ lives and national treasure. Yet, we must also choose a “way ahead” – often by considering “boundaries” – in a sense the left and right limits – of potential implications.
Second, our ability to predict when technology will become available is often in error nor can we accurately determine its implications. For example, in a New York Times editorial on December 8, 1903, it noted: “A man carrying airplane will eventually be built, Nike 819719-110: Cortez Men's Basic White Leather Casual SneakersConverse Mens Size 10 Ethnic Mono Black White Knit Chuck Taylor All Star Shoesbut only if mathematicians and engineers work steadily for the next ten million years.”5 The Wright Brothers first flight took place the following week, but it took decades for commercial and military aviation to evolve.
Each of the services has faced force modernization challenges due to the adoption of technologies that weren’t mature enough; whose capabilities were over-promised; or did not support operations in the envisioned Operational Environment. For the U.S. Army, Future Combat Systems (FCS) was the most obvious and recent example of this challenge – costing billions of dollars and, just as importantly, lost time and confidence.Vans Mens Versa sz 10 black tec tuff green vault syndicate supreme wtaps fogRockport Mens Prestige Point Mudguard Oxford XW US- Pick SZ/Color.
Third, in terms of future technology, predictions vary widely. For example, predictions by MIT’s Rodney Brooks and futurist/inventor Ray Kurzweil vary widely to the question – “What year do you think human-level Artificial Intelligence [AI, i.e., a true thinking machine] might be achieved with a 50% probability?” Kurzweil predicts AI (as defined) will be available in 2029, while Brooks is a bit more conservative – the year 2200 – a difference of over 170 years.Rockport Mens Slip On Boat Shoes 11 MCoSTUME NATIONAL Sneakers Size 44 ( 11 US)
While one can understand the difficulty of predicting when “general AI” will be available, other technologies offer similar difficulties. The vision of the “self-driving” autonomous vehicle was first written about and experimented with in the 1920s, yet technological limitations, legal concerns, customer fears, and other barriers make implementing this capability challenging.
Lastly, as Rodney Brooks has highlighted, VANS MAN WOMAN UNISEX SNEAKER SHOES CASUAL FREE TIME CODE CLASSIC SLIP-ON 0MEGHN maintains:
“we tend to overestimate the effect of a technology in the short run and underestimate the effect in the long run.”Dr. Martens unisex-adult 8053 5 Eye Padded Collar Boot - Choose SZ/Color
SECOND, THIRD ORDER AND EVIL EFFECTS
– intentionally focus on the positive effects of adopting a technology;
– ignore the experts and those who identify the potential downside of technology; and
– fail to think thorough the short, long, and potentially dangerous effects or dependencies – imaginatively.
We do this because we are human, and more often because we fall into the confirmation bias or other cognitive thinking traps that might affect our program or pet technology. As noted by RAND in Truth Decay:Skechers 62607 USA Mens Diameter Vassell Oxford- Choose SZ/Color.CAMEL CROWN Mens Casual Shoes Leather lightweigh walking shoes for City Walki...
“Cognitive biases and the ways in which human beings process information and make decisions cause people to look for information, opinion, and analyses that confirm preexisting beliefs, to weigh experience more heavily than data and facts, and then to rely on mental shortcuts and the beliefs of those in the same social networks when forming opinions and making decisions.”9
Yet, the warning signs or signals for many unanticipated effects can be found simply by conducting a literature review of government, think tank, academic, and popular reports (to perhaps include science fiction). This may deter some, given the sheer volume of literature is often overwhelming, but contained within these reports are many of the challenges associated with future technology, such as: the potential for deep fakes, loss of privacy, hacking,Calvin Klein Brand NEW Bilton Navy Leather Zip Fashion Shoes Mens Size 8.5 MMen's/Women's ROCKPORT MENS WALK360 WASHABLE OXFORD Innovative design the most economical Suitable for color accidents, deception, and loss of industries/jobs.
At the national level, both the current and previous administrations published reports on AI, as has the Department of Defense – some more balanced in addressing of issues of fairness, safety, governance, and ethics.10
For example, using photo recognition to help law enforcement and others seems like a great idea, yet its use is increasingly being questioned. This past May, San Francisco became the first city to ban its use, and others may follow suit.11 While some question this decision to ban vice impose a moratorium until the technology produces less errors, the question remains – did the developers and policy makers consider if there would be push back to its introduction given its current performance?Skechers Men's Flex Advantage Bendon Work Shoe, - Choose SZ/ColorDockers Mens Freestone Leather Dress Casual Tassel Loafer Shoe What sources did they consult?
Another challenge is language. You’ve seen the commercials – “there is much we can do with AI” – in farming, business, and even beer making. While “AI” is a clever tag line, it may invoke unnecessary fear and misunderstanding. For example, I believe for most people equate “robotics” and “AI” with the “Terminator” franchise, raising the fear of uncontrolled autonomous military force overwhelming humanity. Even worse – under the moniker of “AI,” we will buy into “snake-oil” propositions.
We are at least decades away from “general AI” where a “system exhibits apparently intelligence behavior at least as advanced as a person” across the “full range of cognitive tasks,” but we continue to flaunt the use of “AI” without elaboration.Merrell Size 10 Gray Chukka Boots Sneakers New Mens ShoesMr/Ms Skechers Men's Milton Ankle Bootie Practical and economical First grade in its class Authentic guarantee
SOME ACTIONS TO TAKE
Embrace a learning organization. Popularized by Peter Senge’s The Fifth Discipline: The Art and Practice of the Learning Organization (1990), a learning organization is a place “where people continually expand their capacity to create the results they truly desire, where new and expansive patterns of thinking are nurtured, where collective aspiration is set free, and where people are continually learning how to learn together.”Caterpillar Men's Wardour Fashion Sneaker - Choose SZ/Color While some question whether we can truly make a learning organization, Senge’s thinking may help solve our problem of identifying 2nd/3rd order and evil effects.
First, we must embrace new and expansive patterns of thinking. Force developers use the acronym – “DOTMPLF-P” as shorthand for Doctrine, Organization, Training, Materiel, Personnel, Leadership, Facilities, and Policy implications – yet other factors might be as important.
For example, trust in automated or robotics systems must be instilled and measured. In one poll, 73% of respondents noted they would be afraid of riding in a fully autonomous vehicle – up 10% points from the previous year.14 What if we develop a military autonomous vehicle or a leader-follower system and one or more of our host nation allies prohibits its use? What happens if an accident occurs and the host population protests, Fila Men's T-1 Mid White/Sycamore/Gum Sneakers ShoesConverse X John Varvatos Mini Stud Leather Hi Chuck Taylor 151295C Mens Size 13arguing that the Americans don’t care for their safety?
Technologists and concept developers must move from being stove-piped in labs and single-focused to consider the broader view of technological implications across functions.
Embrace Humility. Given that we cannot predict the future and its potential consequences, developers must seek out diversified opinions, and more importantly, recognize divergent opinions.
Embrace the Data. In New York City during World War II, a small organization of some of the most brilliant minds in America worked in the office of the “Applied Mathematics Panel.” In Europe, the 8th U.S. Air Force suffered from devastating bomber losses. DS NIKE 2014 AIR MAX PENNY 1 I ALL-STAR GAME ROYAL 6.5Y BAKIN FORCE 2 3 RETRO OGVersace Collection Men's Red Suede Leather Slip On Loafers Shoes Sz 7 11 12Leaders wondered where best to reinforce the bombers with additional armor without significantly increasing their weight to improve survivability. Reports indicated returning bombers suffered gunfire hits over the wings and fuselage, but not in the tail or cockpits, so to the casual observer it made sense to reinforce the wings and fuselage where the damage was clearly visible.
Abraham Wald, a mathematician, worked on the problem. He noted that reinforcing the spots where damage was evident in returning aircraft wasn’t necessarily the best course of action, given that hits to the cockpit and tail were probably causing aircraft (and aircrew) losses during the mission. In a series of memorandums, he developed a “method of estimating plane vulnerability based on damage of survivors.” As Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s Sherlock Holmes noted more than 100 years ago, “It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”Polo Ralph Lauren 816641827006 Mens Vaughn D US- Choose SZ/Color.COLE HAAN TRAFTON LUX CAP TOE OXFORD SNEAKER SHOES BLAZER BLUE C27975 (SIZE 11)
Additionally, we need to reinforce our practice of performing quality literature reviews to aid in our identification of these issues.
Employ Skepticism and a Devil’s Advocate Approach. In 1587, the Roman Catholic Church created the position of Promoter of the Faith – commonly referred to as the Devil’s Advocate. To insure a candidate for sainthood met the qualification of being canonized, the role of the Devil’s Advocate was to be the skeptic (loyal to the institution), looking for reasons why not to canonize the individual. Similarly, Leaders must embrace the concept of employing a devil’s advocate approach to identifying 2nd/3rd order and evil effects of technology – if not designating a devil’s advocate with the right expertise to identify assumptions, risks, and effects. But creating any devil’s advocate or “risk identification” positions is only useful if their input is seriously considered.
Embrace the Suck. Lastly, if we are serious in identifying the 2nd/3rd order and evil effects, MEN'S SIZE 9.5 NIKE MANOADOME BOOTS SHOES SNEAKERS MAROON 844358 600Skechers Work Mens Hartan Slip-On Shoe- Select SZ/Color.to include identifying new dependencies, ethical issues, or other issues which challenge the adaption or development of a new technology or policy – then we must be honest, resilient, and tough. There will be setbacks, delays, and frustration.
Technology holds the power to improve and change our personal and professional lives. For the military, technology changes the ways wars are fought (i.e., the character of war), but it may also change the nature of war by potentially reducing the “human dimension” in war. If robotics, AI, and other technological developments eliminate “danger, physical exertion, intelligence and friction,”17 is war easier to wage? Will technology increase its potential frequency? Will technology create a further separation between the military and the population by decreasing the number of personnel needed? These may be some of the 2nd/3rd order and “evil” effects we need to consider.
If you enjoyed this post, please see Dr. Marsella’s previous post “Second/Third Order, and Evil Effects” – The Dark Side of Technology (Converse X John Varvatos Vintage Slip-on Ox Black Beluga Turtledove 153903C Sz 9)
… as well as the following posts:Clarks Stinson Hi Men's Dark Blue Suede Wallabee Style Boots 26122821ASICS Tiger Mens Gel-Lyte V NS White/White 3 Size 10.0
– Men Colorful Rivet Shiny Flat Casual Shoes Driving Formal Club Loafers Slip On, by Dr. Nir Buras